The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

18 Year-Old Adam Armstrong Nominated For Award

10:23 am, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 90 Comments

Coventry City have nominated Newcastle’s on loan striker Adam Armstrong for the League One Player Of The Month award for August.

This follows Adam’s great start to his six month loan spell at Coventry, when he scored 5 goals in his first three games for the club, and some of them were spectacular efforts.

adam armstrong coventry scores crewe_3339133

18 year-old Adam Armstrong – in Coventry colors

Armstrong scored in the wins against Wigan, Millwall and Crewe, and the Geordie striker is on a short list of four for the award.

The other three are Gillingham’s Bradley Dack, Walsall’s Sam Mantom and Rochdale’s Jim McNulty, and the winner will be announced on Friday.

Adam must have a great chance of being named the winner.

Here’s hoping.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Awards · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Premier League

90 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:42 AM

At least there is a silver lining to be cheered up by!!!

• 2 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:42 AM

he is only cheering up coventry fans

• 3 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Interesting article from The Mag’s site comcering our spending..

• 4 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:45 AM

• 5 Blofal // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:50 AM

What I like is that for all the competition in places now we can actually field decent sides in the cups. the only place we don’t have competition for is RB.

Our first team appears to be

Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara

And our second 11 is

Janmaat – Saylor – Lacaselles – Dummett
    ————-Tiote – Gouffran
    Obertan———De Jong———Perez

Thats not too bad. Even playing Gouffran as a defensive mid I think is ok given his work rate and lack of creativity going forward. The only player playing twice is Janmaat.

• 6 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Toon-Prodigy @3 – To be honest I’ve never read such a contrived article ever. Yes we all know the Pound is strong against the Euro (a lot of us have recently been abroad on holiday) but this effect many imports not just footballers. To try and suggest this was some cunning plan by Ashley is ridiculous – we mostly buy from Europe because of over inflated prices on British players regardless of the exchange rate. In fact you could argue it has cost us money because we can’t rid of players like Gouffran back to France because he is too expensive now!

• 7 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Add young Rolando in there aswell and Marveux if you like.

Just waiting on them submitting their 25 man squad now.

• 8 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:01 AM

I don’t think it’s aimed as having a pop at him.

It was the wages part I found interesting because we were chatting about the wage structure earlier.

• 9 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Prodigy….Not sure there’s a hell of a lot to that article really. Similar advantage across the board for all clubs and our Sterling figures will still be what they are at the end of the day.

That’s just good ole “Pound for Pound” (or is it “Pound for Euro”?) value imo.

• 10 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Keep up Ibiza ffs!

• 11 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Hahaha check this vid out…

If only!

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Martoon, I see the conspiracy theorists are at it again! 😉 Any money the club saves on transfers has to be a good thing, because they’re part of the money earmarked for transfers – not Ashley’s pocket. Why would you buy British when you see Stones quoted at nearl £40m? This is the lad drafted into England’s U21’s to help win the title, but who’s repeated errors gave away the goals that got us KO’d.
    As for young Arma, he’s definitely making me happy banging the goals in for Coventry. All his goals so far would have graced the PL and he’s working towards the time he lines up for the Toon again. Next time though, we’ll play to his strengths, not long high balls towards him and his giant marker. An exciting prospect and one of our own.

• 13 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Toon p, wouldn’t mind, but it’s a flaming advert for smart meters 😉

• 14 beermonkey // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM

how a r u
    all ok I take it I see there have been tornadoes in Ibiza

• 15 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Lol, anah it is, they could of atleast used a Geordie actor like!

• 16 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Good morning Ibiza,

Are you happy with the window and our signings?

Are you in the yes or no category?

• 17 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Bobbybee @12 – I agree with you about Arma. Whenever we played him it was either as a late sub when we were chasing the game or on the wing – he never really got a decent chance.

• 18 pawl250 // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Our starting 11 would will be (based of recent selections)

Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    Anita – Colback
    Sissoko – Wijnaldum – Thauvin

Bigirmana – Taylor – Lascelles – Dummett
    Obertan – Tiote – De Jong – Aarons
    Perez – Cisse

Then we have

And any other youth players beyond that.

Its a solid squad. Could do with another right back and we would have been solid this year. I think we did excellent business. This is probably our strongest squad since Bobbys squad.

• 19 pawl250 // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I would look to bring De Jong in the fold behind whomever.

Thats my personal opinion, and bring Wijnaldum back to CDM where he plays for Holland over Anita or Colback whichever is playing the worst when De Jong is fully fit.

• 20 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I think it is a contrived and silly article too.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Beermonkey…All okay mate. I woke up to find some women under a house. Had a lovely pair of red sparkly shoes though.

I look amazing in them.

Crazy weather over here 🙂

Prodigy…I voted no. I’m not devestated, it could have been far worse. The signings themselves are good, but considering the amount of neglect that came first, we’re still not making our own luck. Nowhere near.

My biggest issue is that I just don’t have faith in Ashleys NUFC. I’m not sure how anyone actually does, but fair enough.

How about you?

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Toon p, it might have been more effective if we were ever in a million years likely to sign Ronaldo! The moment I started to read it I knew there was a rabbit away. It might’ve worked better with a manure fan, or a Chelsea fan with Stones tatooed on him, but Ronaldo to Newcastle? Nobody could ever swallow that one! 🙂

• 23 pawl250 // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM

How could anyone vote no?

We spent over 50m and sold none of our best players.

Contrary to popular belief Abeid and Kemen simply are not good enough.

We bought some quality in Wijnaldum, Mbemba….. jury is out on Thauvin and Mitrovic, although Thauvin does look to be an improvement on Cabella from early games.

Our first team this year has improved in masses. Likes of Gouffran, Williamson, Riviere are not even making the bench nevermind starting games!!!

• 24 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM

I voted yes, but only because there were no outgoings and decent quality brought in. Could of been better but I can’t grumble.

I think it’s going to take another year and two more windows to have any faith in Ashley’s NUFC. If he drops a bollock at anytime in between in either window im sure the bed sheets will be back out and so they should.

Im optimistic we are now behaving as we should and showing attention to the playing squad instead of neglecting it for a decent balance sheet. It’s another waiting game until the next window to be sure though to see if this really is a means to go on.

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Martoon, he’s definitely taking his chances at Coventry. All his goals have the hallmark of the natural and talented striker he is. Pleased we’ve given Vuckic the same chance as Sammy as well. Puts his future in his own hands now, the rest is up to him. Still think he could surprise a few people, but time will decide that.

• 26 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Ya reet!

What it should of been is a tattoo of Austin hahaha 😉

• 27 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:46 AM

pawl250 @23 – Agree completely. If you think where we were at the end of last season, we’ve replaced the coaching team and brought in some good signings. Yes ideally we could have done with another defender but the defence is looking a lot better simply through organisation.

• 28 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:47 AM

football is a results business
    we are not getting results whether it be the fault of the players ,coaches or management or even the owner

• 29 Blofal // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:51 AM

My only concern is when I look at other mid table squads like Crystal Palace, West Ham and Stoke… we aren’t light years ahead we are about level.

If we are going to be constantly top 8 then we have to top up in January and spend at least another $50m next summer.

• 30 Blofal // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Oh and I’d have money on Sunderland getting relegated this year. They just don’t have the players. But they’ll beat us no doubt.

• 31 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:54 AM

hell yeah lets wait and see

• 32 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Sorry guys, working whilst chatting on here (naughty naughty).

I find it hard to simply judge this window on how awful last season was.

Surely that’s how we decide if it’s been improved, which no one is arguing.

Should we have ever been in that position? For me, we shouldn’t. That’s not a point to try and stick to the club, but at the same time, it shouldn’t be used as a benchmark, surely?

If you keep lowering expectations, at some stage you’re going to crack it 🙂

Encouraging signs, but I’m still extremely wary.

Cabaye, Ba, Santon, et al….followed by Cisse in the January were encouraging signs. Hey, we even got 5th.

You may not all like it, but I have some way to go with the regime. Is that not okay?

• 33 pawl250 // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:03 PM

If someone asked me how many points we would have from

Southampton H
    Swansea A (10 men for over half the game)
    Man Utd A
    Arsenal H (10 men for over half the game)

I would have said maybe 1 point from Southampton. We have 2 points.

Our next games West Ham and Watford I would want atleast 4 points as the following games are Chelsea and Man City!!!

Anyone saying we would have 6 or more points, especially considering the circumstances of 2 games with 10 men and who they were against arguably best possession keeping teams in the PL, well they need a to wake up.

We have a difficult start the season, naturally it should ease up.

• 34 Mag52 // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Ibizatoon.(previous thread)

Mostly you talk sense, but when you say that McClaren is starting to sound like Pardew in the way he is sucking up to Ashley, I really start to lose you.
    If you are employed by someone, you don’t set out to rile them, to disagree with how they run their business, or to be objectionable, because there’s only one ending to that sort of behaviour.
    You presumably had the terms of your employment set out to you when you took on the job. You have to get on with that job and work within whatever restrictions there are, to the best of your ability.
    For both Pardew and Macca the Newcastle job was/is the pinnacle of their careers in club management. You don’t walk away from it easily. Pardew eventually had enough, saw an opportunity, and walked. He stuck it for four years and, we punched above our weight during his watch. If the leopard really has changed his spots, it might be easier for McClaren.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Pawl…I agree that the points we’ve collected are about what should have been expected considering so far.

However, I would also argue that Swansea and Soton are the type of teams that Ashley aims for us to be rubbing shoulders with.

• 36 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Mag52…I certainly did lose you, but was probably not very clear.

It’s the constant lines of “Ashley has delivered on his promises” etc. Maybe not constant, but i’ve seen a fair few and I just don’t see why it’s needed.

I thought the head coach was there to talk about the team? Would no longer be left to field other types of communication?

Sure Charnley mentioned that being a mistake from the Pardew era. They seem to be making it again and it irks me.

Nothing really against Steve. Just not sure who he is trying to convince or why?

• 37 Munster Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Mag52, I have yet to hear rom the guys who said Pardew would relegate Palace. And then he was modest after the Chelsea game on MOTD and someone said he was playing God again!! I prefer our new set up by a long way, but Pardew would have had to win a cup here to be accepted, thats the long and the short of it. And even then, people would quote crap managers who won cups. I’m glad he has moved from NUFC and actually wish he wouldnt go and beat Mourinho again etc. And as for sucking up to you boss, I agree – was he supposed to tell him to F off publicly? And lose that salary and potential payoff. real world etc!

• 38 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Blofal that’s the plan of action – 150m spent over the next three windows. 50 down, 100 to go. Even over three windows it’s still a relatively quick fix, bearing in mind where we started – relegation fodder. IF – need to be careful – the plans come good, this time next season we should have a team ready to challenge. Not selling one of our more sellable assets this window has to be a sign of intent. How many were convinced we would counterbalance the outgoings by selling first teamers? I lost count. Words like ‘guaranteed to sell’ and ‘delusional if you think we won’t cash in on so and so and what’s his name’, were spoken regularly. This time next year is the safest time to make judgement imo, when we know exactly where we stand and if Ashley has backed his promises with actions. So far so good, but it’s early days yet.

• 39 Munster Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Overrated Frenchman….how shrewd were Obertan, Mbiwa, Santon, Amalfitano, the fat goalie, Gouffran, Marveaux, the french full back who went to arsenal ( was hardly unknown was he ? ) . How much did some of those guys improve us? Granted he has done well on others, but certainly hasnt found many unknown gems, outside of the Spanish fellow and maybe Tiote. I appreciate he is working to a strict budget but plenty of clubs are too. Believe it or not I kind of like Carr but cant be done with the fawning and deification.

• 40 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:12 PM

no predictions for the next four games
    2 max reality 1

• 41 Munster Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Ibiza, if Pardew or Carr had wittered on about Northerners wanting tough aggressive teams or young strikers being menacing because of their Serbian background we would all have winced. Pardew would have been called a stupid cockney. Anyone remember when Keegan went on about Geordies not being interested in Theatre ( or something ? ) . Talk about stupid stereotying…..( mind u what wud i know, i’m only a thick Paddy 🙂 )

• 42 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM

but lets wait for the tenth game

• 43 pawl250 // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Southampton – we drew 1-1 with, and could and should have won as we actually were the better side on the day. Could argue we are rubbing shoulders with them.

Swansea – it was 1-0 when Janmaat got sent off. We were hardly miles away when the game was 11 v 11. I think they will be the team that pushes the standard top 7 this year though.

• 44 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Bobbybee…”This time next year is the safest time to make judgement imo, when we know exactly where we stand and if Ashley has backed his promises with actions. So far so good, but it’s early days yet.”

I agree with that completely. What do we do in the meantime though? For some, it really isn’t as simple as just hoping and believing.

Munster…It is rumoured that Obertan was a Pardew buy. Marveaux was a free, and to be fair, he didn’t make it but he is a technically good player. Worth the risk imo. Wasn’t Gouffran a ST?

Ill save us the mbiwa debate again – it’s going nowhere 🙂

Munster…I think you might have a somewhat distorted memory of Pardews time here. For sure, with some, he was never ever going to be good enough, no matter what. However, a lot of people gave him a reasonable chance. Steve is getting the same.

I just see some early signs of things that turned people against Pardew and I’m not sure why, in this new world of NUFC, why he needs to?

• 45 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Pawl…Individual performances I agree. Close.

I think JT’s point is that the table doesn’t lie. Let’s hope things improve or we’ll be left with the also rans, again.

• 46 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM

almost rans also rans try harder

• 47 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM

JT…I missed the first 2 games. Not sure I can fault the players commitment in the Man U or Arsenal games tbh.

• 48 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Munster Mag @41 – Nothing irritates me more (except certain bloggers on here 🙂 ) than these sweeping generalisations. The perception of a North Easterner seems to be a cloth cap wearing shipyard worker or miner. The fact that none of these industries exist now and a lot of us now work in offices or IT seems to be neither here nor there. Oh and most wear baseball caps these days 🙂

• 49 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Half the problem with scouting is judging how they might be in your team. How many players have looked great for us, then flopped for the team they joined? It works both ways. A player can look brilliant in one team, then look awful when they come here. Carr has a difficult job in that sense. That said, he has probably done better than average for someone on a restricted budget. Anybody could scout for Chelsea or City etc, where if you get it wrong they slide into reserve team obscurity to be replaced by another overpriced prime donna, then let slip away for a huge loss. As the target price for players increases, I think we’ll see the best of Carr. Apart from Mitrovic, who needs a bit of fine tuning, the signings this window have adapted to the PL quickly and easily, which augurs well for the next two windows. He might not be the best chief scout, but he’s far from the worse imo.

• 50 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:32 PM

no the players were committed

• 51 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Ibizatoon @45 – The table does lie after 4 games – it is after 38 games that it is a true reflection!

• 52 Jib // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:34 PM

McClaren now has 14 games plus cupties to find his best team and improve players beyond recognition from last season and bed in the new signings , before the Winter window.

He started with Colo who is a new man after last season.

Anita is looking the biz , Sissoko seems revitalised , Mbemba , Wijnaldum , and to certain degree Thauvin have hit the ground running and look class .

I now fully expect dramatic improvements in Taylor , Dummett , Lascelles ,Tiote , Riviere , Gouffran , Aarons , and Marveaux.

Perez , Colback , Haidara , Janmaat , De Jong are already there and just need game time.

Obertan is past redemption unfortunately

• 53 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:35 PM

JT….Fair enough.

• 54 pawl250 // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Pardew was brought in under odd circumstances given Hughton had a rapport with fans and was actually doing well given we were newly promoted he had us firmly mid table. That alwasy put him on a negative footing with the fans.

I somewhat agree with Munster. The year we finished 5th our fans wanted 4th, its typical NUFC fan base really. If we finish 2nd (not going to happen) this year it would never be good enough, it would be we should have won the league.

Pardew had us firmly mid table again when leaving and we were in free fall the remainder of the season. People sometimes forget the amount of injuries we had the year before last and since the noises he has made in which it sounds like Pardews hands were tied at most times when no additions were made to our jaded squad after key players being sold. We could have done alot worse.

That said we are not a selling club. Name a player outside of Ba, who had a clause that we sold for a value that you may consider undervalue. I cannot think of any!

Yet an area Pardew really failed at times to understand was what the fans wanted. At 1-1 we do not want to see STaylor come on for Perez, we want to win the game, especially against similar levelled opposition. That is the only critical thing I can say about him, and I suppose the odd headbutt incident which was a disgrace.

He has done extremely well at Palace, the only dodgey typical Pardew signing being Whickham for stupid money. That said he has improved them enough to look like solid mid table looking up opposed to down.

I work in a very Sunderland biased office, of which I hear the words “what we would give for a mid table finish with no relegation on the cards going into final 8 games of the season”

My arguement to that is if we are 10th with 8 games to go, our fans and any fan naturally wants to finish higher, Then improve the following year and so on.

YET I think we need to be realistic and look at the money being spent at Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, City, even Arsenal when they do get going and realise even if we improve our team, they will simply improve theirs more!!! Its like swimming against an ever constant tide, we may have a shot for 1 season, like Southampton most recently did, but the following the bigger fish will simply pick you apart and you cannot stop them because they have the money to do it and the current game players tend to hold more power than the club who has them under contract.

• 55 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Martoon…Indeed. I thought my comment had covered the fact that we still have time to go and was only a possible scenario, rather than a prediction 🙂

• 56 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Ibiza, not sure what anybody can do in the mean time. The signings are done until January and nobody else is leaving, so what else can we do? I don’t see the point in fretting over something that you can no longer effect. Now is the time for hoping and believing surely? Literally, only time will tell how things work out, but we can’t alter it right now. January is the next time we can make changes and all we can really do to effect the results is get 100% behind the team and make SJP a hard place to come. The more hostile, the better.

• 57 LGFUAD21 // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:44 PM

In pretty chill on the start we’ve made this season.

Is it the best? Far from it. Pretty poor. But in not worried yet.

We didn’t have a good pre season. Mcclaren needs time to get his best team playing his way.

I’ll judge after 12 like macca said. Even then there’s still 28 more games.

We defender well against two good teams. We may have changed conceded to arsenal but we always coped with a hell of a lot thrown at us with 10 men.

Be nice to see what we can do against a standard team if we keep ten men on the pitch.

• 58 LGFUAD21 // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM

*11 men

• 59 pawl250 // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM

That table doesnt lie at the end of a season not 4 games into it.

We have had arguably the hardest start compared to teams around us.

When you look at Sunderland who have had Villa, Swansea, Norwich and Leicester you would assume they should have more points on the table given 3 (Swansea being 1 that is not) of those teams you would arguably be in contention with for relegation come March/April next year.

Its about winning the teams around you.

Man Utd, Arsenal are not going to be teams around us, and in reality any point is a bonus from them for any team outside the top 6.

Southampton will be firmly mid table, and Swansea will be looking for top half. These are teams we should be looking at and we drew against 1 and played with 10 men for over half the game with the other. We are not too far away with those said teams we are competing against.

If we started losing against the likes of Watford, then yes we need to take a long hard look. Yet Southampton would have done us for 4 goals last season most likely, and Arsenal at home with 10 men for 80 minutes we would have crumbled last year. This year we looked surprisingly solid, taking a flukey og to beat us.

• 60 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Pawl….”The year we finished 5th our fans wanted 4th, its typical NUFC fan base really.”

Fans? I can think of maybe 2 or 3 on this site that said such things. If I remember correctly, Simpson cost us CL too.

You are right about his appointment though, he started off on the back foot (not a tactics dig – honest), but did actually pull that back with the majority.

I’d take that too at the moment 🙂

Your last point is an interesting topic for me and I know it’s a big issue many fans have towards Ashley. Why did we need to fall so far behind before trying to compete again?

Were the last 2 summer windows worth the yeaar of non-buys the season before?

What can a team outside of the top teams realistcally aim for? Despite my less than optimistic views on NUFC these days, I am a dreamer who believes anything is possible.

What is it Ashley wants though?

I get a few fans just want to focus on the here and now. That’s fine. For me, sometimes to know where you’re going, you need to look where you’ve been.

On that, I’m going out, as I didn’t earlier 🙂

• 61 DaraghL // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM

My stance on this is, I’m content with the ‘new regime’. They have bought 4 players I can get behind. 4 players that if they perform to the best of their abilities can be stars in the premier league.

To couple that I like McClaren’s changes, attitude and general demeanor. I did not like Pardew as a person, therefore making it hard to support him.

I feared how we would tackle our first 8 games. I believe we have performed admirably with 2 draws and 2 losses with 10 men.

I am not happy with our start but feared it could have been worse. I am cautiously optimistic.

The important point, something I have struggled with under Pardew (bar the year we were 5th for obvious reasons), I feel I am now supporting a team I can get behind again and I thank McClaren for that.

• 62 Graeme // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Reasons to be cheerful – Part 2!! Mitrovitch is a better buy than Martial!!

• 63 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Pawl….I may be reading this wrong, but you’re responding to me as if I’m being some drama queen?

All I pointed out is that we will need to improve, we’ve got one point out of six, from teams we’re supposed to be on par with.

Circumstances went against us for sure, the season is not yet over, there is plenty of time, I haven’t written us off.

Not sure where the problem is? 🙂

Bobby…All due respect, but that’s what you’ve said pretty much all window 🙂 As match attending fans, I do agree with you. All that can be done is support the lads and assess how things go. But this is a blog to discuss the pros and cons of all things NUFC. I don’t see why it needs to lean towards blind faith?

Right….I am going 🙂

• 64 DaraghL // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Ibiza –

“I don’t think the definition of a selling club is one that sells players undervalue? For me, most clubs are selling clubs. It’s the replacement policy I’ve objected to in the past.”

Very well put. Sell Yohan for £20 odd if you can get ir…but go out and buy 2/3. Sell Andy for £35m but if I see Kuqi on the teamsheet…

• 65 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Pawl, there was something in one of the papers over the weekend that used the dreaded stats to show why us and west brom shouldn’t panic yet. Their stats showed that our start to the season as the most difficult by far. We don’t need stats to tell us that really, as common sense and a basic understanding of football would reach the same conclusion. Following the Chelsea and City games we have a run of games – home and away – which should give us a better idea where we stand. Games we will be targeting points from.

• 66 Jib // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Magpies 24/7 Episode 8 is on NUFCtv for those who can watch it.

• 67 DaraghL // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:06 PM

October 17: Norwich City (H)
    October 24: Sunderland (A)
    October 31: Stoke City (H)
    November 7: Bournemouth (A)
    November 21: Leicester City (H)
    November 28: Crystal Palace (A)
    December 5: Liverpool (H)
    December 12: Tottenham Hotspur (A)
    December 19: Aston Villa (H)
    December 26: Everton (H)
    December 28: West Bromwich Albion (A)

Things get a lot easier after the Chelsea, City games.

• 68 DaraghL // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Jib –

Last one I watched was episode 4. Have the most recent ones been any good? Has somebody broken Haidara’s selfie stick yet? Is Obertan still as bad at FIFA as he is in real life…tune in next week

• 69 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:08 PM

if arma does win the award, does that count as us winning something to Ashley?? 😉

• 70 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Wow, Chelsea have loaned out 33 players who cost them something like 70 mil.

That’s bizarre.

Reet, dinner time for me.

• 71 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Daragh, cheers for that mate, saved me doing it 🙂 Clearly we’ll know a lot better as to where we are by the January window, following those games you’ve posted. This will highlight to the board exactly where we need to strengthen and how urgently. We’re capable of picking up a lot of points from games between now and the end of the year and we should see some entertaining football to boot.

• 72 Carryingcoals // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:38 PM

On the subject of Armstrong, it’s quote thrilling to see how well he’s doing. I think for us to get Austin however we’d need to offload some people on the wage bill, I’m thinking Riviere.

Some thoughts on why I’m not actually a fan of the transfer window:

• 73 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Ibiza, my faith isn’t blind, it’s based on what I see happening. Not just me either. The whole ground is feeling it and it’s reflected in the supporters level of noise, which is definitely on the up as you’ll have heard yourself. I am an optimist by nature, I’ll concede that, but I try to give credit where I feel it’s due and vice versa. The past is gone and can’t be changed so I concentrate on the future and the here and now. Ashley has failed to win my support in the past because of how he ran the club, but if he has genuinely learned from his mistakes and wants to leave football matters to football people, whilst giving them the finances to take us forward, then I’m willing to see how it goes. My view is so far so good, whilst accepting there’s still scope to mess up big style. One step at a time and so far, the steps have been promising.

• 74 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Just noticed a couple of interesting tweets from Soccer Sauce who are normally quite reliable:-

Our information is that #NUFC made a bid in the past 4 hours for Leeds player Sam Byram, but the offer was quickly rejected #LUFC

Also hearing that Brighton were keen on signing Mike Williamson but were unable to match fees required for the player #NUFC #BHAFC

• 75 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Re Williamson: I imagine Brighton’s fees were too high.

• 76 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Carrying coals, got to agree on the point about the window carrying on into the season, but surely football has always been an entertainment? That bit I find strange! The reason English players cost so much can be blamed on the so called big clubs paying inflated prices, surely? Would Madrid, Barca, PSG etc have been willing to pay 49m for Sterling? Or City for an equivalent player abroad, for that matter? I doubt it. I think the majority of fans would like to see the window closed before the season begins, but whether that will ever happen – I doubt it myself. Worth reading though, canny link matey.

• 77 Jib // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:15 PM

The logical thing with Brighton was to do a swap for Dunk . I think Hughton probably proposed that and the Toon told him to do one.

• 78 hibbit // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:18 PM

ron the club asked boro 2m for willo 3 weeks ago willo

• 79 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM

What happened about Gouffran? Any info?

• 80 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Jib @77 – I would of thought the other way around. We wanted to swap and Hoots told us to get stuffed!

• 81 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Ron Knee @79 – On Sunday Hull & QPR were supposed to be interested in Gouffran but then nothing.

• 82 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM

I wonder why nothing happened in the end.

• 83 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Carrying…Good to see you post. Don’t be worried, but I was actually thinking about you earlier ?

Bobby…I don’t mean to be pedantic.
    “if he has genuinely learned from his mistakes and wants to leave football matters to football people, whilst giving them the finances to take us forward, then I’m willing to see how it goes.”
    Key word being “if”. That’s where most of us are. We are also willing to see how it goes – that really goes without saying ? The difference is you believe it will improve, I’m still fairly cautious. I don’t mean to offend by saying “blind faith”. I wish I still had some NUFC faith, but at this stage, I’m on empty. It needs filling up. Perhaps if I was at SJP it’d be easier to get caught up in?

• 84 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Ron Knee @82 – No idea – I’ll try asking Lee Ryder via Twitter – he normally replies as long as you don’t abuse him! I’ll let you know if he replies.

• 85 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Thanks, martoon!

• 86 hibbit // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:21 PM

sorry ron not heard any thing on that

• 87 beefman13 // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Why the hell isnt gouffran and williamson gone out of this club, yea cos nobody wants the buggers, we are playing with a central midfield partnership that has been part of a team that has collected 5 points ot of a possible 35, why are they such shoe inns, not a prem team would be fearful about playing against that central midfield. get Sissoko n Wiji in central midfield, introduce Aarons as a permenat fixture in the middle fcuk colback n Anita off, play to the teams attacking strengths instead of safety first sideways square ball merchants, and pack it in already with the excuses Mclaren.

• 88 beefman13 // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Did not mean play Aarons in the middle , i missed a comma out haha!

• 89 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:27 PM

martoon is on the case!

• 90 beefman13 // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:27 PM

We still have the same core as last season, certainly our next fixture will be that way, not good enough NUFC, for Christ sake you must know.

previous post: Newcastle Will Have Already Lined Up Most January Targets

next post: Did Newcastle Make Late Move For This England International?