The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Did Newcastle Make Late Move For This England International?

3:26 pm, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Gazzetta dello Sport in Italy are reporting that 34 year-old Ashley Cole turned down a potential move to Newcastle United yesterday on deadline day – but that seems to be a strange move if the report has any truth to it.

For one thing Sadio Haidara has been playing well at left back, although Newcastle are certainly short of full-backs with only three recognized specialist full-backs in the squad – Daryl Janmaat, Sadio and Paul Dummett, who is just returning from a hamstring strain.

Ashley Cole – two year deal at Roma

The 107 times capped England International turns 35 in December, so we are not sure why Steve McClaren would have been interested in signing him, other than he has vast experience, and maybe could help the younger players come through.

Cole signed a two year deal at Roma in July of last year as a free agent, but has struggled to pin down a first team place in Rome, and has made only 16 appearances for the Rome club.

It seems strange that Newcastle would go after Cole – if the report is true.

Steve McClaren will know all about Cole, having managed him as part of his tenure as England manager for 16 months from May of 2006.

We would be very surprised if McClaren actually wanted Cole at Newcastle, and the left-back could still leave Roma in January, but we wouldn’t think Newcastle is a club he would want to join.

Ashley would probably want a move to a London club, where he played all his football with Arsenal and then Chelsea, before moving to Rome.

He was born in Stepney.

What do you think?

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 toon kk // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM

The window is closed and instead of speculation who we are after it’s now who we were in for. All speculation! We got who we wanted and spent our budget, whether it was enough to keep us in the premier league remains to be seen.

• 3 DaraghL // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:49 PM

I doubt the Geordie women are enough to convince him to join given his track record.

• 4 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM

OK so I’m going to get the whinging negger pie thrown at me for this (again) but I don’t get the idea of ” so far, so good” with the all-new nufc that’s being built. it’s not really, is it? So far if we ignore the rash card fest of the Arsenal game, defeat to Swansea, draw with a lacklustre Southampton and manure, the only highlight is thrashing a league one side. it’s only so far, so….well…far. I appreciate the millions spent and the new look coaching staff and the bright blue sky ahead but let’s just keep hold of the reality thing. The horse is yet to be bolted to the cart. it’s going to be a while before we see any tangible product forming. To me it all looks very much like a beefier version of Patch January, where we bought to survive, this looks like we have bought to remain floating there or thereabouts in the league. I’m all for optimism, in fact I really miss it. But I’m not being swayed just yet. I’m still in cynical mode until I see what this thing is supposed to be.

• 5 beefman13 // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM

• 6 Graeme // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM

There is simply no way that Ashley would agree the sort of wages Cole would be looking for – his day has long gone, he’s best off where he is, well away from NUFC!!!

• 7 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 4:01 PM

I wonder if he knows how long it took to build Rome?

Yes, this is becoming a theme. Apologies.

• 8 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Rome wasn’t built in 8 years.

• 9 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 4:04 PM

Tsunki…I was trying to make that / those point / ‘s earlier.

I think a big bit of it for some is that it’s simply not as bad as last year. Not much of a measure for me. Last year was inexcusable. The club didn’t even try. Am I the only one still wondering what happening to the emergency fans forum meeting? 🙂

• 10 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Ron… 🙂

Rome wasn’t plastered in SD signs.

• 11 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Tsunki ! I am just as Cynical as you are, another fact that i noticed is that long term targets of ours have gone to other clubs, Swansea have Ayew, Van Dijk to the Saints and not so long term Shakirah to Stoke! ( name wrong ? ). We have spent 50+ Mil on players but i am doubtful that we have strengthened enough in the right positions? There are clubs with less allure than us who have done a lot better in my opinion? Time will tell, if they are smart they will planning now for the January window but i doubt that they plan that far ahead? Meanwhile we are already third frm the bottom!

previous post: 18 Year-Old Adam Armstrong Nominated For Award