Lee Charnley – We Spent £52.6M Net – We Need To Pull Together

Lee Charnley has set the record straight on what Newcastle spent in the summer, and it seems Newcastle spent more than we estimated – it’s a net of £52.6M and we had estimated a net of £45.8M with a gross of £50.3M – so that’s off  almost £7M – so we’ll have to do some creative new estimating so at least the net figure comes out at £52.6.

And £51.5M in cash was paid out – that’s the way to do it – none of this paying in yearly installments like we used to do under Freddy Shepherd.

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – £52.6M net paid out

There’s no doubt that Mike Ashley has got the club in very good financial condition, but what fans want now is to use that money to build a good team – a good squad and it seems Newcastle have made a decent start in the summer – but we still have a long way to go.

Lee Charnley – maybe at the direction of Ashley – has come out and been transparent about what Newcastle spent in the market – maybe because it’s higher than most estimates floating around.

This is what Lee has said via an email to fans:

“I know that conflicting reports from outside the club can make it hard to understand what we’ve spent in the window. I want to take this opportunity to confirm that the net amount spent this summer is £52.6M, with £51.5M cash paid out.

“On top of the transfer spend, our wage bill for the year to 30 June 2016 will increase by a minimum of just under £9M as a result of our activity during this transfer window.”

“We’ll continue to spend on the squad moving forward, and have no need or desire to sell our best players.” “We want the best young players available to us. We have brought in high-calibre players that will make an immediate impact.”

“We want a squad that is strong defensively, combined with plenty of creativity, attacking intent and flair.” “We’re delighted with the players we’ve brought in, but we always knew that it would take more than one window to reshape and restructure.”

“We were also delighted to agree a new deal with our captain, Fabricio Coloccini, who on and off the field is showing the drive and determination we desire from our captain,  and one of the figureheads of our club.”

“This is the start not the end. It will take time and a number of windows to get where we want to be.” “We are in a very strong financial position. To allow us to continue in this vein, we need to ensure that the club’s finances remain just as healthy over the coming years.”

“We ask that you trust us in this process. We want our club to progress and be the best it can possibly be.”

“We have set Steve a target of a top-eight finish and to win a trophy. Everyone at the club is driving hard towards that goal. However, all of this rebuilding and reshaping isn’t something that can happen overnight; it will take time.”

“In recent years I know that some of you feel a divide has opened up between the club and the supporters. We accept responsibility for the things we have done, or not done, to contribute to this, but with Steve’s arrival and a new season ahead of us, we have been presented with a real opportunity to make progress as a club together.”

“Often our mistake has been that we’ve not communicated well enough with you,  and I assure you going forward, this is something we will do better.” “We are showing we have a desire to connect with you.”

“What is absolutely clear is that when we are all pulling in the same direction and you are one hundred percent behind the players who wear our shirt, it makes the difference.”

That’s a good message from Lee, and it basically reflects what Steve McClaren has been saying this summer, but it’s good coming from Newcastle’s top executive too.

As we said, it’s a good start, but now the hard work starts with Steve McClaren trying to knit the team together to be very strong on defense,  and creative and free-flowing when we attack – that will not be easy.

However, the defense seems to have made giant strides under the coaching of Ian Cathro, and in the last two league game there’s been some heroic and resilient play on defense – in short they’ve looked great.

We hadn’t heard Mike Ashley speak until May 24th when he gave his interview with Sky Sports – and now we at least know what he sounds like – but we still don’t know what Lee Charnley sounds like.

Why doesn’t Lee go on nufcTV and talk about the transfer window and other things as the season progresses.

It’s a lot more personal that way – and surely Lee can do that?

But it’s (very) good the club is negotiating more with fans, who were really frustrated and angry the way the club has been run, and we all know far too many mistakes were continually being made.

But hopefully after we were almost relegated in May, and that would have been a compete an utter disaster for the club,  things will now be run differently.

We’re hoping that things will continue to improve, and we do indeed start being really serious about building up a top team that can win something.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Oh look I see the honey badger tremble
    He yearns for Ashley’s buttocks
    Bring forth those meaty prospects…
    I want you lot to study this carefully and send in your thoughts….address all correspondence to
    Mike Ashley
    Idiot and Newcastle United Owner

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Well in this new era of honesty I wonder if they’ll explain where that 30M went last accounting year, why they felt the need to exit cups as soon as possible and then issue an apology to the fans at the end of it.

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Ed

“there’s been some heroic and resilient play on defense – in short they’ve looked great.”

One of the greatest Victorian generals, Sir Garnet Wolsely, objected to the mass handing out of VC’s after Rorke’s Drift on the basis that men scrapping for their lives like rats in a barrel could not be expected to do less.

Give us a poll on Mike’s favourite colour. The debate would hardly suffer.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Geordie ………. Try standing naked on a full length mirror. Bend forward and look between your legs. Then you’ll see what you are where you’re going.

Only teasing , please don’t take offence.

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:56 PM

betty,

That sounds rather offensive to me.
    Would you like me to post some of your contributions from May, when you were feeling a tad less upbeat?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:09 PM

So we have a set of targets this season (like any other season), but what happens if they are not met?

Nothing as always or will their be consequences this time?

I am just curious to say the least…there is nothing worse than hollow promises!

• Belfast

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM

I don’t believe the club who’ve already stated they don’t like doing business in the January transfer window, are going to spend 50 million in the January transfer window. Sorry folks.

Probably a 3 year plan, not 3 windows.

• Belfast

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM

3 year plan = 3 summers windows.

• MadisonToon

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM

@jesper

Are those this season’s targets? So the target is to win a trophy this season? There aren’t too many of those to go around so I can’t imagine Steve doing that in his first year here. If he doesn’t manage to do the impossible and win a cup this year, what happens then?

I understand having performance-based incentives that he/the squad would get if they achieved those goals, but what are the expectations? Are the expectations to be mid-table and they get bonuses if they are above 8th? It would be good to hear those as well. The targets seem a bit lofty to me, but I’m more than willing to be surprised.

• Belfast

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM

*summer

• WWSBRD

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM

It’d go a long way rectifying the clubs problems had Lee been binned and someone who could do the job properly came in

• croftus5678

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:21 PM

we had a very very good window in signing players we should not really have been able to get and without letting any first team members leave !

now with this statement he’s trying to bring us back down to earth and curb expectations and boost excitement and ambition at the same time !

he blatently points out we have spent 53mil ish and we have increased wages by 9mil and not let any of our best players go !

in other words we need to cut our wage bill and we have spent a hell of a lot of money so dont moan when we have to let players go !

hopefully those who’s contracts are ending on bigger wages and those not that usefull to us i.e. saylor/williamson/obertan/goofy/tiote/river would be my first choice to leave and tbf i would be happy with 2 class players to replace them all one obv being a cb.

cisse i reckon will go in 6 month’s also.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM

BanB……… No thanks I’m on a massive positivity drive, not just football related.

As his holiness the Dalai Lama advises, the universe gives back what you portray and I don’t want to attract any negativity.

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Oh Man Belfast!
    You’ve just spoiled the Christmas game of “where’s this £50 million, like?”
    I was looking forward to that.
    I’d hate to play Blind’s Man’s Bluff with you!

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Betty,

I’ll rest easy then.
    You being on a positivity drive, and that.
    I sincerely hope it is more committed and long lasting than your very noisy “Ashley Out!” phase.

• Belfast

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Somebody had to break the bad news. I suppose it had to be me.

This brave new world is under construction for 3 years folks, not the 18 months that’s been suggested.

Always read the small print.

• martoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM

I’m pretty sure top 8 and winning a cup are targets but not necessarily for this season. Surely when the team has been rebuilt after the 3 windows.
    However I am encouraged by Lee Charnley saying they will continue to strengthen and this window is not a one off.
    Also not being an accountant what is the difference between net amount spent and cash paid out – why are they different?

• Bobbybee

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM

From what we’ve heard from the club recently, it sounds like this plan has been in place for the past few years, but nobody had a pair big enough to tell us. That is another error and poor judgement of the fans. Maybe they thought they’d lose us whilst they sorted the club out and got to this stage, but I think the opposite more likely. Had the club come out openly and said something along the lines of ‘the club’s a shambles and needs a massive shake up that will take at least five years to put right – 5yr plan – but at the end of it, we will then invest heavily in the club and push for trophies’. They probably thought we wouldn’t believe them, because of the previous bull. Understandable and warranted – why would we? Then again, it would have least given us something to look forward to. I personally would have preferred the truth – some bloody lean years, but a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep those dreams alive, more importantly. I think it was bad judgement of us as fans, but that’s not exactly new is it? So, we’ve heard the plans at last, now to deliver. We’ve been frugal to reach this point, let’s hope it turns out to be worthwhile. Spending 50m and keeping our better players is a good way to start. As is talking to the fans at last. Spending an average of 15m on every first team place sounds promising, as we already have the back up players in place to cover injuries etc. For the first time in years, we have something solid to build on and that has to be good.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:36 PM

BandB……….. I’m trying to forget Ashley as his greed and personal agenda belong to him.
    We now have a new era with McClaren trying to make things better. Hopefully he has more influence with Fatso than his predecessors, it does appear that way so I’m living in hope with a positive outlook.

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:38 PM

betty,

That’s fine.
    There’s nothing wrong with changing your mind.
    I’ll slaughter you if you change it again.
    That’s a promise.

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM

You’ve changed it twice already.

• Bobbybee

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Maddison, I think the trophy aim is for Macca’s three year tenure, which will decide his future contract. You don’t realistically go from relegation candidates to flying high overnight, so it would hardly be fair to expect that of him – or he would have got a twelve month contract surely?

• Belfast

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM

All unhappy brave new world customers direct your anger at Ian. The brave new world boss.

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Oh Ian,

Still with his Ushanka, copy of Catcher in the Rye and Saturday Night Special.
    He’s a serious poster now, you know.

• will die for the toon army

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Mcca has done his job in defence. Now Ian Cathro has to do his job at Attack.

• Bobbybee

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Martoon, I believe the cash paid out thing refers to what we’ve paid now, with the difference being add ons for performances, such as Ivan Toney.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Hello again…balearic internet not coping too well with the weather it seems….

BandB…I liked that on the previous thread. One must never forget flowers. At least a flower anyway!

Teal? Surely Mikes favourite colours are black and white? Or are we going to get all technical about “colours”?

Bobby…Not sure I can go along with that, no matter how much I try.

• scout

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Snidey comments from people still after a 50 million spend. Get back to the playstation. Ffs

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:57 PM

I love you Ibizatoon.
    Can I shove a poppy down the barrel of your gun?
    I would do the same to Ian, but for that funny look in his eye when he gets my autograph, and I reluctantly turn my back on him, hearing his feet shuffling into the combat stance and waiting for him to call “Mr Bandb”

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:58 PM

scout,

Grrrrrrr!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Scout…Not a “back to the playstation” put down. Ouch.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:59 PM

When Ashley was so blatantly preventing us from having a competetive team , then obviously it was impossible to enjoy watching the pathetic displays on the pitch without total resentment.

Something had to change to give us a glimmer of hope and replacing Carver and Stone with someone that commands at least some respect from the football community has re ignited a bit of hope in me when I watch us play.

The fact that Mc is on the board and that his explanation of the new transfer policy makes sense is also a cause for cautious optimism.

I am in no way suggesting that Ashley has redeemed himself, I still despise the man and all that he stands for. I just prefer to keep an open mind for a bit longer and wait and see what Mc. can deliver on the pitch.

I like Steve Mc Claren and he comes across as very genuine and sincere as oppose to that slime ball Pardew and I would love to see him do well without prejudice.

If that is being a turncoat then I’m guilty as charged.

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Egad! Odds Bodkins and gadzooks! I’ve just had a personal email from LEE CHARNLEY HIMSELF!!!!

OH. I see.

Well it’s all clear now. A ‘number’ of windows. Where the word ‘ number’ evidently includes any digit or digits from 0 to infinity. Comforting. Ah well, I suppose it’s churlish to grumble about Lee finally at least having a go at communicating. Can’t slap the bairn down for burning the toast first time out can you? At least we know they’re after a cup. The league cup, that’s the one I predicted. 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM

BandB….Anytime.

No comment on Ian. He’s tired of me. It’s shook me somewhat. I look to Belfast for inspiration and think “Nah, it’s alright”.

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Has anyone played FFS on the play station? Is it any good?

• WWSBRD

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:02 PM

scout
    50mill and all is forgiven for Ashley?

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM

It’ll take more than a measly £52m to er… to er…. what was the question again?

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Sorry, Ibiza.
    Aren’t you the same Ibizatoon who was once “back by popular demand?
    Ian owned you there like.
    He’ll flatten you with the Playstation barb next, and you”l have to cry Injun.

• Bobbybee

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Ibiza, and that is entirely your perogative my friend. 🙂 we each judge as we see it. I’m trying to base my opinion on evidence and trying to leave Ashley’s personality out of it – which ain’t easy! I genuinely see a massive sea change in how the club’s being run from top to bottom and I’m liking what I see. I don’t demand or even expect everyone to see it my way marra, that’s what opinions are all about. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Tsunki
    I might be on board if it was directly to me but for the club? Hmm I think the Newcastle soul is worth more than that