The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Lee Charnley – We Spent £52.6M Net – We Need To Pull Together

7:38 pm, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 130 Comments

Lee Charnley has set the record straight on what Newcastle spent in the summer, and it seems Newcastle spent more than we estimated – it’s a net of £52.6M and we had estimated a net of £45.8M with a gross of £50.3M – so that’s off  almost £7M – so we’ll have to do some creative new estimating so at least the net figure comes out at £52.6.

And £51.5M in cash was paid out – that’s the way to do it – none of this paying in yearly installments like we used to do under Freddy Shepherd.

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – £52.6M net paid out

There’s no doubt that Mike Ashley has got the club in very good financial condition, but what fans want now is to use that money to build a good team – a good squad and it seems Newcastle have made a decent start in the summer – but we still have a long way to go.

Lee Charnley – maybe at the direction of Ashley – has come out and been transparent about what Newcastle spent in the market – maybe because it’s higher than most estimates floating around.

This is what Lee has said via an email to fans:

“I know that conflicting reports from outside the club can make it hard to understand what we’ve spent in the window. I want to take this opportunity to confirm that the net amount spent this summer is £52.6M, with £51.5M cash paid out.

“On top of the transfer spend, our wage bill for the year to 30 June 2016 will increase by a minimum of just under £9M as a result of our activity during this transfer window.”

“We’ll continue to spend on the squad moving forward, and have no need or desire to sell our best players.” “We want the best young players available to us. We have brought in high-calibre players that will make an immediate impact.”

“We want a squad that is strong defensively, combined with plenty of creativity, attacking intent and flair.” “We’re delighted with the players we’ve brought in, but we always knew that it would take more than one window to reshape and restructure.”

“We were also delighted to agree a new deal with our captain, Fabricio Coloccini, who on and off the field is showing the drive and determination we desire from our captain,  and one of the figureheads of our club.”

“This is the start not the end. It will take time and a number of windows to get where we want to be.” “We are in a very strong financial position. To allow us to continue in this vein, we need to ensure that the club’s finances remain just as healthy over the coming years.”

“We ask that you trust us in this process. We want our club to progress and be the best it can possibly be.”

“We have set Steve a target of a top-eight finish and to win a trophy. Everyone at the club is driving hard towards that goal. However, all of this rebuilding and reshaping isn’t something that can happen overnight; it will take time.”

“In recent years I know that some of you feel a divide has opened up between the club and the supporters. We accept responsibility for the things we have done, or not done, to contribute to this, but with Steve’s arrival and a new season ahead of us, we have been presented with a real opportunity to make progress as a club together.”

“Often our mistake has been that we’ve not communicated well enough with you,  and I assure you going forward, this is something we will do better.” “We are showing we have a desire to connect with you.”

“What is absolutely clear is that when we are all pulling in the same direction and you are one hundred percent behind the players who wear our shirt, it makes the difference.”

That’s a good message from Lee, and it basically reflects what Steve McClaren has been saying this summer, but it’s good coming from Newcastle’s top executive too.

As we said, it’s a good start, but now the hard work starts with Steve McClaren trying to knit the team together to be very strong on defense,  and creative and free-flowing when we attack – that will not be easy.

However, the defense seems to have made giant strides under the coaching of Ian Cathro, and in the last two league game there’s been some heroic and resilient play on defense – in short they’ve looked great.

We hadn’t heard Mike Ashley speak until May 24th when he gave his interview with Sky Sports – and now we at least know what he sounds like – but we still don’t know what Lee Charnley sounds like.

Why doesn’t Lee go on nufcTV and talk about the transfer window and other things as the season progresses.

It’s a lot more personal that way – and surely Lee can do that?

But it’s (very) good the club is negotiating more with fans, who were really frustrated and angry the way the club has been run, and we all know far too many mistakes were continually being made.

But hopefully after we were almost relegated in May, and that would have been a compete an utter disaster for the club,  things will now be run differently.

We’re hoping that things will continue to improve, and we do indeed start being really serious about building up a top team that can win something.

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

130 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Oh look I see the honey badger tremble
    He yearns for Ashley’s buttocks
    Bring forth those meaty prospects…
    I want you lot to study this carefully and send in your thoughts….address all correspondence to
    Mike Ashley
    Idiot and Newcastle United Owner

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Well in this new era of honesty I wonder if they’ll explain where that 30M went last accounting year, why they felt the need to exit cups as soon as possible and then issue an apology to the fans at the end of it.

• 3 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Ed

“there’s been some heroic and resilient play on defense – in short they’ve looked great.”

One of the greatest Victorian generals, Sir Garnet Wolsely, objected to the mass handing out of VC’s after Rorke’s Drift on the basis that men scrapping for their lives like rats in a barrel could not be expected to do less.

Give us a poll on Mike’s favourite colour. The debate would hardly suffer.

• 4 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Geordie ………. Try standing naked on a full length mirror. Bend forward and look between your legs. Then you’ll see what you are where you’re going.

Only teasing , please don’t take offence.

• 5 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:56 PM

betty,

That sounds rather offensive to me.
    Would you like me to post some of your contributions from May, when you were feeling a tad less upbeat?

• 6 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:09 PM

So we have a set of targets this season (like any other season), but what happens if they are not met?

Nothing as always or will their be consequences this time?

I am just curious to say the least…there is nothing worse than hollow promises!

• 7 Belfast // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM

I don’t believe the club who’ve already stated they don’t like doing business in the January transfer window, are going to spend 50 million in the January transfer window. Sorry folks.

Probably a 3 year plan, not 3 windows.

• 8 Belfast // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM

3 year plan = 3 summers windows.

• 9 MadisonToon // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM

@jesper

Are those this season’s targets? So the target is to win a trophy this season? There aren’t too many of those to go around so I can’t imagine Steve doing that in his first year here. If he doesn’t manage to do the impossible and win a cup this year, what happens then?

I understand having performance-based incentives that he/the squad would get if they achieved those goals, but what are the expectations? Are the expectations to be mid-table and they get bonuses if they are above 8th? It would be good to hear those as well. The targets seem a bit lofty to me, but I’m more than willing to be surprised.

• 10 Belfast // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM

*summer

• 11 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM

It’d go a long way rectifying the clubs problems had Lee been binned and someone who could do the job properly came in

• 12 croftus5678 // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:21 PM

we had a very very good window in signing players we should not really have been able to get and without letting any first team members leave !

now with this statement he’s trying to bring us back down to earth and curb expectations and boost excitement and ambition at the same time !

he blatently points out we have spent 53mil ish and we have increased wages by 9mil and not let any of our best players go !

in other words we need to cut our wage bill and we have spent a hell of a lot of money so dont moan when we have to let players go !

hopefully those who’s contracts are ending on bigger wages and those not that usefull to us i.e. saylor/williamson/obertan/goofy/tiote/river would be my first choice to leave and tbf i would be happy with 2 class players to replace them all one obv being a cb.

cisse i reckon will go in 6 month’s also.

• 13 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM

BanB……… No thanks I’m on a massive positivity drive, not just football related.

As his holiness the Dalai Lama advises, the universe gives back what you portray and I don’t want to attract any negativity.

• 14 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Oh Man Belfast!
    You’ve just spoiled the Christmas game of “where’s this £50 million, like?”
    I was looking forward to that.
    I’d hate to play Blind’s Man’s Bluff with you!

• 15 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Betty,

I’ll rest easy then.
    You being on a positivity drive, and that.
    I sincerely hope it is more committed and long lasting than your very noisy “Ashley Out!” phase.

• 16 Belfast // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Somebody had to break the bad news. I suppose it had to be me.

This brave new world is under construction for 3 years folks, not the 18 months that’s been suggested.

Always read the small print.

• 17 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM

I’m pretty sure top 8 and winning a cup are targets but not necessarily for this season. Surely when the team has been rebuilt after the 3 windows.
    However I am encouraged by Lee Charnley saying they will continue to strengthen and this window is not a one off.
    Also not being an accountant what is the difference between net amount spent and cash paid out – why are they different?

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM

From what we’ve heard from the club recently, it sounds like this plan has been in place for the past few years, but nobody had a pair big enough to tell us. That is another error and poor judgement of the fans. Maybe they thought they’d lose us whilst they sorted the club out and got to this stage, but I think the opposite more likely. Had the club come out openly and said something along the lines of ‘the club’s a shambles and needs a massive shake up that will take at least five years to put right – 5yr plan – but at the end of it, we will then invest heavily in the club and push for trophies’. They probably thought we wouldn’t believe them, because of the previous bull. Understandable and warranted – why would we? Then again, it would have least given us something to look forward to. I personally would have preferred the truth – some bloody lean years, but a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep those dreams alive, more importantly. I think it was bad judgement of us as fans, but that’s not exactly new is it? So, we’ve heard the plans at last, now to deliver. We’ve been frugal to reach this point, let’s hope it turns out to be worthwhile. Spending 50m and keeping our better players is a good way to start. As is talking to the fans at last. Spending an average of 15m on every first team place sounds promising, as we already have the back up players in place to cover injuries etc. For the first time in years, we have something solid to build on and that has to be good.

• 19 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:36 PM

BandB……….. I’m trying to forget Ashley as his greed and personal agenda belong to him.
    We now have a new era with McClaren trying to make things better. Hopefully he has more influence with Fatso than his predecessors, it does appear that way so I’m living in hope with a positive outlook.

• 20 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:38 PM

betty,

That’s fine.
    There’s nothing wrong with changing your mind.
    I’ll slaughter you if you change it again.
    That’s a promise.

• 21 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM

You’ve changed it twice already.

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Maddison, I think the trophy aim is for Macca’s three year tenure, which will decide his future contract. You don’t realistically go from relegation candidates to flying high overnight, so it would hardly be fair to expect that of him – or he would have got a twelve month contract surely?

• 23 Belfast // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM

All unhappy brave new world customers direct your anger at Ian. The brave new world boss.

• 24 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Oh Ian,

Still with his Ushanka, copy of Catcher in the Rye and Saturday Night Special.
    He’s a serious poster now, you know.

• 25 will die for the toon army // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Mcca has done his job in defence. Now Ian Cathro has to do his job at Attack.

• 26 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Martoon, I believe the cash paid out thing refers to what we’ve paid now, with the difference being add ons for performances, such as Ivan Toney.

• 27 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Hello again…balearic internet not coping too well with the weather it seems….

BandB…I liked that on the previous thread. One must never forget flowers. At least a flower anyway!

Teal? Surely Mikes favourite colours are black and white? Or are we going to get all technical about “colours”?

Bobby…Not sure I can go along with that, no matter how much I try.

• 28 scout // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Snidey comments from people still after a 50 million spend. Get back to the playstation. Ffs

• 29 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:57 PM

I love you Ibizatoon.
    Can I shove a poppy down the barrel of your gun?
    I would do the same to Ian, but for that funny look in his eye when he gets my autograph, and I reluctantly turn my back on him, hearing his feet shuffling into the combat stance and waiting for him to call “Mr Bandb”

• 30 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:58 PM

scout,

Grrrrrrr!

• 31 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Scout…Not a “back to the playstation” put down. Ouch.

• 32 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:59 PM

When Ashley was so blatantly preventing us from having a competetive team , then obviously it was impossible to enjoy watching the pathetic displays on the pitch without total resentment.

Something had to change to give us a glimmer of hope and replacing Carver and Stone with someone that commands at least some respect from the football community has re ignited a bit of hope in me when I watch us play.

The fact that Mc is on the board and that his explanation of the new transfer policy makes sense is also a cause for cautious optimism.

I am in no way suggesting that Ashley has redeemed himself, I still despise the man and all that he stands for. I just prefer to keep an open mind for a bit longer and wait and see what Mc. can deliver on the pitch.

I like Steve Mc Claren and he comes across as very genuine and sincere as oppose to that slime ball Pardew and I would love to see him do well without prejudice.

If that is being a turncoat then I’m guilty as charged.

• 33 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Egad! Odds Bodkins and gadzooks! I’ve just had a personal email from LEE CHARNLEY HIMSELF!!!!

OH. I see.

Well it’s all clear now. A ‘number’ of windows. Where the word ‘ number’ evidently includes any digit or digits from 0 to infinity. Comforting. Ah well, I suppose it’s churlish to grumble about Lee finally at least having a go at communicating. Can’t slap the bairn down for burning the toast first time out can you? At least we know they’re after a cup. The league cup, that’s the one I predicted. 🙂

• 34 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM

BandB….Anytime.

No comment on Ian. He’s tired of me. It’s shook me somewhat. I look to Belfast for inspiration and think “Nah, it’s alright”.

• 35 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Has anyone played FFS on the play station? Is it any good?

• 36 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:02 PM

scout
    50mill and all is forgiven for Ashley?

• 37 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM

It’ll take more than a measly £52m to er… to er…. what was the question again?

• 38 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Sorry, Ibiza.
    Aren’t you the same Ibizatoon who was once “back by popular demand?
    Ian owned you there like.
    He’ll flatten you with the Playstation barb next, and you”l have to cry Injun.

• 39 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Ibiza, and that is entirely your perogative my friend. 🙂 we each judge as we see it. I’m trying to base my opinion on evidence and trying to leave Ashley’s personality out of it – which ain’t easy! I genuinely see a massive sea change in how the club’s being run from top to bottom and I’m liking what I see. I don’t demand or even expect everyone to see it my way marra, that’s what opinions are all about. 🙂

• 40 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Tsunki
    I might be on board if it was directly to me but for the club? Hmm I think the Newcastle soul is worth more than that

• 41 MadisonToon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:07 PM

@Bobby –

That makes more sense. Accordingly top 8 in the next three years is the plan? After that season we finished fifth, you’d think that it wouldn’t be quite so hard to get only kind of close to that again. Who is going to take the blame for the intervening years? I know we overachieved when we got fifth, but it’s hard to get beyond the lack of ambition that we’ve seen recently (even with one good transfer window). Not sure the point of this ramble, I just thought if we would be putting up targets then top 6 would be a target, top 8 should be an expectation in three years.

• 42 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Joking apart, they are at least trying. Or appear to be for the sake of PR. Whatever the motive, I think it’s a victory to the vocal base of fans that the regime has at least admitted their former plan was deeply flawed, and that they underestimated the damage they were doing simultaneously to their brand and this club. Congrats to those who didn’t let them off the hook I say! Huzzah!!

it’s a big favour but I’m willing to extend time to see if they do make good on this equine fastening project. Don’t let me down, Lee! 🙂

• 43 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Bobbybee

I don’t demand or even expect everyone to see it my way marra.”

Oh but you DOOOOO pet lamb.

And you get ever-so-marginally cross in a “the vein in my forehead is about to pop” way if the Rotten Ralph’s of this blog don’t share your cheery, good-natured, wouldn’t hurt a fly, optimism.

• 44 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:11 PM

In my post at 37 I was sidetracked by a dream of me being served champagne on the deck of my new yacht.

• 45 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:11 PM

chuckling over BandBs posts….

wikked awesome 🙂

Ibiza, good to see, as stated not back by popular demand, but maybe, ibizatoon – back to wreak havoc?

• 46 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Bandb careful that dog of yours is starting to be a bit menacing 😀

Cue ‘Mr Blue Sky’ by ELO.

• 47 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I’ve missed Lee’s “MULTIPASS” pose.

• 48 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Sorry Tsunki.
    Tasks await me in the scullery.
    They do, actually.

• 49 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Bobbybee @26 – Yes that makes sense – I understand the difference between net and gross but wasn’t quite sure about that.
    What’s with the Ian references – have I missed something from Ian Toon?

• 50 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Ironically, I don’t think I’ve ever been back by popular demand.

• 51 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM

BandB you have a SCULLERY????

• 52 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM

I love ELO 🙂

• 53 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:16 PM

martoon.

I’m talking behind Ian’s back.
    Ian, of course, never does that.
    You creep.

• 54 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Betty, times change and people’s opinions change with them. Nowt wrong with that matey. In fact, it’s an admirable trait to have. It’ll be a long time before I trust Ashley as well, but the evidence is a different thing. It all points to change without having to take anybody’s word for it. There’s a massive difference in that. I’m dying for the next match to start, which is definitely an upgrade from dreading it and the possible humiliation it might cause. Only time will truly tell, but I intend to enjoy every game I go to and watch, instead of worrying about what might go wrong. Done enough of that thanks! 🙂

• 55 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM

I have a dishwasher!!!!

Is that not menial enough for you!!!

• 56 Average_Contents // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM

A link to the club’s response regarding the “new” new fans shirt.

Incase anyone missed it the people who brought out that alternative shirt have brought out another one that only has the city’s coat of arms on due to legal threats regarding their “old” new one.

• 57 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Martoon, no idea mate, unless I’ve missed something as well. Not sure he’s posted tonight, so it must be something else I presume.

• 58 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM

On the summer activities whilst I am slightly happier we have finally spent some money and got a few decent bodies through the door, Ashley should not be praised as these are long overdue. We haven’t signed enough as we realistically need more defensive players and a couple of decent dms. more money needs to be spent in January and then next summer or we are gonna be up that creek without a paddle

• 59 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Am not sure I will ever back the management if am honest, I don’t think NUFC will be in good hands again until Ashley and his friends are out the door

I get behind the squad and the coaches but above that is where my disillusion lies

• 60 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:24 PM

You may have missed all the snidey remarks Ian made about Ibizatoon while he wasn’t posting.
    Of course you did.
    Of COURSE you did.

• 61 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:26 PM

BandB @53 – I’m still none the wiser. By the way are you calling me a creep or Ian?

• 62 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Take one call and get lost in a thread…

Timer at the ready, and go!

• 63 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Both.
    Naturally.

• 64 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:27 PM

BandB I knew it, you have a dishwasher. I, on the other hand, am the dishwasher. But I aspire to greatness.

• 65 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:27 PM

BandB………. You are obviously still hurting and full of resentment for Ashley for what he has done to our club over the years. I feel the same as do many others.

He doesn’t appear to be going anywhere anytime soon so why should we allow him to kill any hopes and dreams for the foreseeable future by making everything about him.

He doesn’t choose the players or pick the team and although he controls the finances that doesn’t mean everything has to be about him.

I want to enjoy watching my team without my dislike of Ashley being a constant , all consuming distraction.

• 66 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Betty,

I recall you feeling differently.
    You were insulting pro-Ashley.
    Then woundedly anti-Ashley.
    Now you are having a crude lash at G2 for being consistent.
    On balance, I prefer G2.

• 67 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Window has closed now we are linked to Yoann Gourcuff as a free agent

• 68 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Chancel
    That seems to be just some bloke opinion rather than a real link though? Plus am not sure we really need a injury prone classy CAM we already have one sat on the bench after all

• 69 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:37 PM

BandB…That was just a joke. Maybe. Was there a LOL? 🙂

Dok…It’s good to see you about too and that you haven’t taken up your local version of football.

Bobby…I am not sure whether it’s intentional and you do say that we’re all entitled to your opinion, but your posts do come across a little bit – I’m not sure how to put it….Preachy is too strong.

Things like “I’m trying to base my opinion on evidence and trying to leave Ashley’s personality out of it I’m trying to base my opinion on evidence and trying to leave Ashley’s personality out of it”

Most people I’d imagine try to do that. Are you pointing it out to suggest others aren’t? I may well be reading too much in to it. As for leaving Ashleys personality out of it, I’d say that’s a tad naive. This club, owned by Ashley, is by his design. His personality is all over it. Surely it’s a huge factor? Not whether he’s a nice man, or a greedy man. But what he actually wants for NUFC.

You’ve created a whole scenario of what might have been at play, almost excusing it for them. Why can’t they for once just be very clear with us, not leave us to make assumptions? Surely that would be a real first step in re-building trust?

I thought the clubs handling of the fan unrest was disgusting towards the end of the season. We were blamed and then manipulated.

That was all brushed under the carpet pretty quickly and hasn”t been addressed really.

I’m not trying to be petty. We’re being asked to have faith and trust in them. I’m trying to find a way for that to be possible.

Stop that timer!

• 70 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Average_Contents @56 – I actually think that is a reasonable response by the club. All businesses robustly protect their trademarks and copywrites so why should NUFC be any different. Their not objecting to them selling alternative shirts as long as they don’t have any official NUFC trademarks.

• 71 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:38 PM

BandB……. That was not a crude lash at G2. His comment about direction reminded me of that saying. It was banter nothing more , nothing less. I asked him not to take offence and told him I was teasing. He doesn’t seem to be offended , so there’s no reason for you to be either.

• 72 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Bobbybee,

Preachy…too strong ….I’m not having it, like.

Sanctimonius.

Ibiza needs to expand his vocabulary.

• 73 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:43 PM

betty,

Tittle off, and don’t slither up to me again.
    Got that?

• 74 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Yo…Hey, that would at least show real depth.

Mind, I suppose we usually do have depth in injuries. As you were 🙂

Betty…There are of course other aspects to discuss. Not sure Ashley and what has gone before can suddenly be expected to become taboo though.

As said before, this takes faith and trust. Lee has said as much himself.

It all does stem from Ashley. Always has, always will. He sets the precedent. Unfortunately he has a history for allowing us as fans to be mislead.

• 75 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:45 PM

BandB……. No prob. Take your bat and ball home if you want.

• 76 Jail for Ashley // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:46 PM

If it walks, quacks and swims like a duck, more often than not it is a duck. If somebody continually defends Mikey while saying they despise him, they’re just pretending to be a duck !

• 77 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:47 PM

It’s late!

I’ve been busy?

I blame TV?

The internet?

Lost my thesaurus?

Thanks for keeping me in check.

• 78 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM

peking duck is delicious though jail 🙂

• 79 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Betty, we’ve had a long, long list of dodgy owners and I’ve never bothered myself with any of them. I don’t have to like them in order to support the club I love. As I posted recently, we would all have snatched the hand off the oil sheikh if it meant success, totally ignoring the fact that his wealth is accumulated under a regime of terror and repression, where people are still stoned to death for religious indiscretions. I don’t do politics in football for that reason. Hypocrisy is rife. I go to games to get away from that sort of shyte, not to take it with me. For me, football is about the eleven men on the pitch and nothing more. If Ashley ever provides us with a trophy, due to how he handled the club in the previous years, where does that leave us? 🙂 If he doesn’t get us a trophy, he joins a long list of failures – no change then? I don’t care about the man personally, I don’t know him and doubt I ever will. Can’t change the past, it’s done and dusted, but the future is looking better than it has for a long time, so I’m going to enjoy it as best I can.

• 80 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Ibiza
    Aye true they may make a player if we added them together

• 81 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Ibiza……. Of course Ashley’s behaviour can’t be just forgiven or dismissed, but this is a new season, we have a new set up and new players and it would just be nice to try and enjoy watching the team like Bobbybee was saying without constantly worrying that Ashley’s greed is affecting every aspect of supporting our club.

The new look NUFC might well be nowhere near good enough but there’s no point assuming that before we know.

• 82 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM

BandB…

I once thought it impossible to admire a blogger…. thank you for changing that 🙂

if I ever meet you around SJP, you definitely get a pint bought …

• 83 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Bobbybee,

And I think I could be coaxed into suspending my disbelief and enjoying the ride too.
    I’m not irredeemable.
    If you’d just shut your sanctimonious gob.

• 84 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Jail…That’s quackers!

Sorry. It was there. No one jumped on it. See post 77 if I need anymore excuses.

Yo…I’ve said it before. There is something to taking Obertan, Williamson, Taylor and perhaps a few of the others and making an actual decent PL footballer that’s not alwaus injured.

I’d take the past 8 years if it meant we had this technology ready to go at SJP. But do we?

Bobby…You did it again! “I don’t have to like them in order to support the club I love”.

When did this become about people not supporting their club?

• 85 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Bobby………. I agree that we can’t allow the owner of our club to destroy our enjoyment of watching the match indefinitely. I do have an instinctive feeling that things are being run more professionally around the playing staff and like you , I am looking forward to watching the next game with more hope for the future than for many years.

Jail……. I assume you were directing the defending of Ashley at me. I have never defended him and I do despise him. Taking him out of the equation for a while , whilst trying to enjoy watching my team surely can’t be a crime.

• 86 overtheline // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM

B&B
    Your dose of testosterone needs adjusting downwards.
    You’ll end up like Jeff/Jib if you keep this up 😀
    (but with a bigger vocabulary)

• 87 Jail for Ashley // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:04 PM

bettyswallocks,
    Actually it wasn’t at you, it was at someone though but can also be for generalisation of those pretending to be ducks.

• 88 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Betty…And you can do that, of course.

I may have gotten this wrong, but didn’t this start as posters past comment on others not being able to enjoy the moment or possibly hoping for failure?

No one is assuming anything. Just commenting on what they think based on what they have seen / believe. You’re leaning towards the hopeful, I’m not there yet.

• 89 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Who quack was it quack then quack lol.

• 90 AMEOBI // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM

I know fans will always complain, but since the West Ham game. The board seems to have given themselves a real shake. I’m very happy with this process, it’s something that we’ve lacked for years.

Happy with the club so far this season. Long may this continue,

• 91 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Ibiza
    Human Centipede 4: NUFC Team’s Road to G(l)ory ?

• 92 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Dok,

I can still have babies……….actually, I think I may have squeezed the last drop out of that lemon.

Thank you….

• 93 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM

overtheline…That is one of the worst insults I have witnessed on this here blog.

No laughing matter.

I think you owe BandB a big apology.

• 94 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Ok I now cant shift that image…Ive ruined my own night

• 95 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Overtheline,

I always admire a frank friend….

• 96 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Yo…Yeah. Not sure where we go from here.

• 97 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Perhaps I should look between my legs and see which way I’m going Ibizatoon….

• 98 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Ibiza
    Yeah I am just going to quietly leave….may need to change names and pretend like I never existed

• 99 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Ibiza….. All I am hoping is that McClaren will have enough influence to change things for the better.
    It does appear that Ashley doesn’t involve himself in the day to day running of the club and team affairs. If we accept that, then now that the transfer window is shut Ashley can’t actually affect anything that happens until January.

If we need to spend again to bolster the squad then he can only do that in January.

However much we hate him , we might as well support Steve and the lads with an open mind and a bit of hope and not allow Ashley to spoil it.

• 100 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Ibiza, I don’t intend to sound preachy, I just say it how I see it. I simply don’t care who owns the club and never really have. I’ve disliked Ashley for what he’s done in the past, but I don’t let it consume me – I’ve better things to do than obsess about something I can’t change. Then again, if he’s willing to try and bring success to a club starved of it for longer than he’s been alive (possibly), then I welcome it. Why would I not? Why would anybody not? Just so they can say ‘I told you so?’ All I’m interested in is football. Ashley will do it his way, just as you and I would do it our way, if we’d bought the club. We haven’t. He has. He’s arrogant and has no intention of listening to us telling him how to spend his money. Would you? I wouldn’t. I’m not telling anybody how to see things – unlike those who demanded we boycott – I’m just posting my own opinions, which is the purpose of these blogs. Nobody has to listen to me, it won’t alter one thing either way. I’m finally seeing the bigger picture, so maybe I was wrong before. He might be blagging us and maybe I’m wrong now – we’ll see. I don’t tell others how to express their opinions, please refrain from trying to tell me, because I simply don’t give a toss. If my posts upset you, don’t read them matey, I promise not to take any offence. 🙂

• 101 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Does anyone know if that Bigi kid still plays football?

• 102 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM

It consumes me Bobbybee…
    Every waking hour.
    Obsessed I am.
    Oh, I feel dirty…

• 103 Jail for Ashley // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM

It normally goes like this, I despise Ashley but.. he’s a self made billionaire so he must be good, we were going to do a Leeds and even though I hate him, well he saved us, I couldn’t stand what he done with the stadium name change but at the end of the day it’s his club and he can do what he wants, Ill never forgive him for the last eight years and JfK but he’s just spent 50M he must be good….

• 104 Thump // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Oh hey, what’s going on in this–

*reads overtheline’s comment*

• 105 Jail for Ashley // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Well wow, just wow !

• 106 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Ibiza, if you must quote me, at least get it right. What I said was ‘I don’t have to like them, to like what they’re doing’. You only seem to read what suits you mate, rather than what’s written.

• 107 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Did I mention you BandB? Not everything is about you I’m afraid.

• 108 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:28 PM

BandB…Seems a strange place to keep ones compass…..

Mind. Without wanting to be crude, I don’t often need an excuse to check between my legs.

Yo…WWHCD?

Betty…Without being rude, I think we’re starting to circle. I get stuck at “if we accept that”, as deep down, I don’t yet. Perhaps all still too raw.

We can say how wonderful this change is,we could also look at it this way:

Coaching team: Simply had to change. Given a full season, the experiment of managers would have seen us relegated. Something like 6 months ago the club stated how shocked they were at losing Pardew and what a wonderful job he had done. The fact they’ve improved on Carver?

That is no reflection on McClaren to be clear. I wish him well, of course I do.

Players: Also, no reflection on the quality of some of our buys, they’ve been really impressive tbh. Again though, it wasn’t an option to not spend and spend well.

Someone likened this to thanking a captor for returning a loved one without killing them. It might be a bit extreme, but it’s along the right lines.

My doubts should not have a reflection on my desire to see the club do well. I don’t feel like we’re anywhere close to making our own luck though. Those are the words we’re supposed to be encouraged by, yet I’m being asked to forget about hthe man who said them?

• 109 Average_Contents // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Is it safe to come out yet?

I think I’ll just stay in my self imposed bubble of doom.

Martoon

Can’t really be arsed replying but here goes.

Bollox. Big hairy one’s.

Obviously joking.

Seriously though. It’d take too long and I’ve just sat down after being out the house since 6:30am. Go job.

• 110 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Well, I asked people to boycott Bobbybee.

It was like, “would you awfully mind boycotting, old chap. Entirely up to you, of course…”

You won’t BELIEVE how thoroughly rude most of the responses were.

• 111 DRBSWW // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Hi guys am new to the blog……yup totally new…..seriously

Woo am all pro things and anti other things and I never mention odd cult films…promise

• 112 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Bobby…Check post 79. I’m fairly sure I’ve quoted you correctly. I copied and pasted.

Starts middle of the second line.

It wasn’t a case of upsetting me, so don’t worry about that. I believe in having a better understanding of where someone is coming from, and with that, explaining where it is I’m coming from. It may not work for everyone, but it’s served me well on here.

I was just pointing out how some of your posts came across, in case that wasn’t how it was intended.

It’s not personal. I’ll respond properly to your other post in a minute (did you hear that? The whole blog just groaned at the same time). Just need to send off an email.

• 113 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM

And I got myself moderated by playing around with my name,,,seems a good time to retire for the eve!

• 114 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Ibiza,

I think Overtheline was suggesting I was being aggressive.
    I may actually have more testosterone than I had twenty years ago.
    It wouldn’t be unusual, and I am not insulted by it.

• 115 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM

BandB…On reflection, it was the lack of sweets on offer where it all went wrong.

If there’s ever a need again. All boycotters get a sweet.

• 116 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Is it not possible to hate some of the things somebody’s done in the past, yet still acknowledge they’ve done something good? Not one single person on this planet has ever pleased everybody all the time. Fact. Some of the things Ashley has done has infuriated me, because I’m a football fan. That doesn’t mean I hate him forever ffs. I’m a grown up, I take each thing on its individual merit or lack of it. Because he did such and such, nothing he does is ever right? I left that behind in play school myself, but each to their own. If – and a big if it may be – Ashley brings us success on the back of some very austere years he thought necessary to achieve that success, then I’ll take that all day. I will say Where and when I personally disagreed

• 117 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Ibiza……. I am pretty sure Ashley doesn’t want to be involved in the daily running of the club and team affairs and I am sure Mc Claren wouldn’t tolerate this, therefore with all due respect however raw it all is , the reality is Ashley is not in a position to influence how the team play.

I am not suggesting we thank him or forgive him for anything.

• 118 Average_Contents // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Strange one that.

Whenever an impass occurs between the two camps, the lovers (who aren’t really lovers, just say they take fatty and past history out of the equation) always seem to use the phrase (or similar) “was I talking to you”

Oh and Ibizatoon

Just give in. You know you want to. Or you could just fcuk right off.

Goodnight.

• 119 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Ibiza

I am not convinced anyway by the link between testosterone and aggression.
    Unless that includes scowling at yourself in the mirror while slapping on scent.

• 120 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:52 PM

BandB…Honestly, it was the “like Jeff / Jib” (Disc: I have guessed that and thrown itin a quote. Apologies if it’s not exactly right) bit I objected to.

AC…When did you get here? Are you staying long? I couldl write another quickk email whilst you delight the blog with your tales of decking at the in-laws.

Don’t be a stranger. It’s always a giggle to remember you’re out there in the world.

Sweet dreams.

• 121 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:57 PM

betty…That cleared that one up then. Is that an opinion or fact? Felt a little force fed.

I thought we were talking about trust, not thanks or forgiveness?

I’d have a much easier time with either of those two things. Trust however, is harder for me.

• 122 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Ibiza, you’re right, my other was on a different post. That said, why is that offensive? I’m talking about ME, my opinion. I don’t have to like them. Them, as in previous owners as well as current. Westwood truly was a pirate, he raped and pillaged us regularly. I still supported the team. Ditto most of the others. I still supported the team. Ashley and his way, I still support the team. Does that make it clearer marra? Just because Ashley has done things I haven’t agreed with, doesn’t mean I can never agree with anything he does EVER. That would be ridiculous and peurile. It may well be that I have, in the past, misjudged his actions. If everything he’s done has been in order to arrive in a place where we can push on from, then despite not agreeing with his choices, I clearly misjudged him. I’m not saying that is the case, it’s too early to judge, but I am now open to that possibility as it makes far more sense than spite – as his actions have looked in the past. Why would anybody wallow in the past when the present and future suddenly looks so bright? Life’s too short marra, making the most of what I’ve got is my motto. I’m happily looking forward and if I’m wrong, well, at least I had that moment of happiness before my bubble was burst again. I only post my own feelings mate, I would never expect everybody to agree with them – that would be too weird! I’m either going to be right or wrong – the same odds as everybody else. 🙂

• 123 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Ibizatoon,

You are failing to understand the shuddering pinnacle of my online career I got from being mentioned in the same breath even as Jeff/Jib.
    Who hasn’t, incidentally, ever been crass enough to go there.
    Overtheline has an itch about this. It’s his thing.

• 124 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:09 PM

At 116 my pad conspired against me. (I accidently pressed post really, but that’s boring).

• 125 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Bobby…Of course it’s possible to recognise the good and bad in what someone has done.

You left that behind in the school yard, so did the others. That isn’t what is going on, imo.

Can I ask, is there anything at all that Ashley could do to make you care that he owns the club? Not to attack. Just to understand.

I’ve always admired the commitment and loyalty of the toon army. It’s one of the things that made me as angry as I am towards Ashleys running of NUFC. It really had little to do with spending money for me. He could spend a fiver for all I care, as long as we can still compete of course (we couldn’t – but hopefully you get my long winded point).

The way the fans have been treated has been completely unnecessary. None of it. Yes, we all make mistakes, but that wasn’t just a one off mistake. It was a mindset.

Is it still? Apparently not. But I’ll hang fire for now. Ashley, the man who can and does make the difference at the end of the day, gave an interview in May. We’re being told he had delivered on his promise. I think many agree that is perhaps premature, and reasonably so.

In the meantime though, a fan can surely be excused of not running back to how it was, with big eyes and full of hope. For the record, I’m pleased there are some that are able to put that aside, get past it, or even not let it get to them in the first place. There will always be an issue though if either of those groups tell the others how they should feel or act towards the club.

If Ashley changes his ways and brings success I can’t imagine there will be too many unhappy fans. Even if there is somewhat long lasting proof of Ashley changing his ways will do it for most. We don’t demand a team that wins, we demand a club that tries. It’s not really that hard.

• 126 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:13 PM

I miss Yo-Yo.
    Goodnight Yo-Yo, wherever you are.

• 127 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:13 PM

BandB…Indeed I am. However, I’m not one to get in the way of a poster and their “thing”.

“Thing” away people, “thing” away.

• 128 jimmysmith // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:16 PM

I’m happy to see Ashley sanction the spending of 50 million net of course and I like what we have for our money, and I think the club is in a position to push on.

But I also do still certainly think one of the problems with a big club like Newcastle being owned by one guy is the lack of transparency, and if the money doesn’t go back in, and in full, the punter is being cheated, because surely the owner is then double dipping.

Run the club responsibly and put all the profits back in Mike, and show us that is exactly what you are doing and make clear that’s what you will continue to do, and the fans will be on board, and you’ll develop your asset with clear integrity.

I’m not sure that has been happening up to now, how would you really know, other than what you see on Match Day, and that I think is his greatest problem with the fans, the autocratic nature of the club, and the nagging sense you’re being rolled to some degree or another, that comes along with it, even if you aren’t. Simply saying “trust us” won’t totally wash, even when you are spending, and certainly not when you aren’t.

• 129 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Bobby….Would I allow my customers to call all the shots? No, of course not. I’ve said what I need to say on Ashley in the response to your other post really.

I do seriously object to this:

“I’m not telling anybody how to see things – unlike those who demanded we boycott – I’m just posting my own opinions, which is the purpose of these blogs”

Maybe another day though. As you say, there are better things we can be doing.

Out of interest though, do you have some mental image of people rambling to themselves about Ashley all day? If so, you really don’t have a grasp on the mindset at all.

• 130 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM

jimmy…I’m out of here, but a decent read.

Integrity. Wouldn’t that be nice.

previous post: Newcastle New Boy Is Made Of The Right Stuff

next post: Who Was Newcastle’s Best Signing Of The Summer?