Newcastle New Boy Is Made Of The Right Stuff

There’s been some good news over the last couple of day about our new signing Florian Thauvin, and that is that he stays behind after training to practice those free kicks – much like Yohan Cabaye and Ryan Taylor used to do when they were at Newcastle.

Practice makes perfect – as they say – and we’ve been impressed with Florian’s attitude since he arrived at Newcastle, and he has showed good form in the short time he’s played for the Magpies.

florian thauvin arriving for arsenal game

Florian Thauvin arriving for Arsenal game
Is this a classy guy or is this a classy guy?
We assume his shoes are highly polished too

Certainly his starting debut against Northampton was something to remember – with a goal after three minutes and then three assists for Newcastle’s other three goals.

We have to remember it was a League Two side, but still his crossing was extremely good, and the 22 year-old seems keen to improve his game.

Florian was brought into Newcastle by Steve McClaren because of his crossing ability,  and also because of his creative play.

The Frenchman will now take all the set plays for Newcastle,  so it’s good that he’s got the right attitude and willing to work hard on the training pitch.

This is what he has said in the Mirror:

“I work very hard every single day to try and achieve the perfect free kick – and I don’t stop until I have got it right.”

“Since I was a kid, free-kicks have been something I have worked at. I love to go out there and have the ball at my feet.”

“Even when training has finished,  I like to stay behind and do as much work as I can, just hitting free kicks.”

Florian Thauvin looks to be a very good signing for Newcastle, and one player who can certainly attest to that is Mike Williamson.

mike williamson head home from thauvin northamtpon

Mike Williamson heads home Thauvin’s cross – that was easy!

Mike hasn’t found scoring goals easy at Newcastle, but Mike scored his second goal in over five and a half years for Newcastle against Northampton,  as Thauvin put a perfect cross over for Mike to head home.

It even made Mike look like a natural goalscorer!

Florian seems to be made of the right stuff, and certainly he has the right attitude and is willing to work hard on his game.

World class players – like Lionel Messi and Cristian Ronaldo – come about  when they work very hard behind the scenes to get the very best out of the god-given abilities they have been blessed with.

With that in mind, Florian has a decent chance to become a Newcastle great in the future.

We hope that’s exactly what happens.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Very dapper.

Seems a good lad. Let’s hope he supplies the goods for NUFC.

• Ron Knee

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Ibiza
    Or to paraphrase Harold Wilson’s slogan:
    “After eight years of Ashley misrule …”

Apologies if you’re too young to remember this!!!

• Belfast

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM

What’s in the bag ? his make up ?

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM

it’s a freshly baked loaf of bread. Mmmmmmm

• Graeme

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Obviously dressed for a night in the Bigg Market!!!

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Ibiza

I think it was yourself who posed the question yesterday about what people said to paraphrase patience before they built Rome?

Well young man I have the answer… wait for it…
    They used to say… Alexandria a wasn’t built in a day ?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Ron… He is before my time, but no apologies needed.

Belfast…Do you need a little lesson on basic grooming? I’m a bit busy now, but tomorrow let’s tackle the brushing of teeth.

• Belfast

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I have a hunch it’s a bag full of m and m sweets… (brown packet)

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Tsunki

The French don’t do loaves of bread, they carry baguettes 😉

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Krul…It was indeed me that asked, however, are you stating or asking that answer? 🙂

Tsunki…Not sure it’s cool to say that Belfast is a freshly baked oaf.

Belfast…Don’t be greedy. To the left hand side mate.

• toon kk

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:40 PM

I am a fan of our new signings apart from Mitrovic who is yet to prove he can play in the premier league.
    its just a pity we struggle to have any sort of possession for our new players to have any impact. I will class survival as a very successful season tbh.

• cyprus

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM

They all arrived dressed like that for some reason. Maybe there was a wedding or something right before the game.

• Slank

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Thauvin looks good. He seems to have more bottle than Cabella. I can’t see him doing any of Cabella’s dying swan impressions following an innocuous tackle.

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Half baked, maybe.

• Slank

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Cyprus,

McClaren told them. It’s part of the new rules and regs that include no swearing. Also, no phones, laptops and iPads at the training ground. And anybody turning up late is sent home, presumably with a flea in their ear.

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Krul to be kind – I think my dawn of creation one predates yours 🙂 Hmmm. How about ” the Big Bang didn’t just happen in an instant” ha ha ha hauuuuuuurrrrr….oh…..wait…..

• Slank

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:13 PM

I’ve noticed that Sky have published a list of all the Premiership net spenders and we are the second highest behind, not surprisingly, Man City.

• Munster Mag

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Certainly an upgrade on Cabella. Another hugely scouted player by the way and who was largely awful for us, Ibiza !

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM

And if you notice the sign next to him there’s apparently no weed allowed either. No on the ganja. Toke free. Spliffless.

• Tsunki

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Cabella wasn’t actually awful though, was he? He just wasn’t very effective, and a season or two under his belt might have seen improvement. I think it was the player himself who gave in to the idea of going home.

• Llort muw

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Toonkk

I think it’s quite clear that you aren’t very optimistic about this season, and there is nothing wrong with that… But don’t you think that surviving would be a disappointing season considering the money spent?

• beermonkey

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:34 PM

tsunki

I think the euros might have a fair bit to do with him going back to france where he knows he will play weekly

• bettyswallocks

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:52 PM

I don’t think blind faith or deep rooted cynicism is the way to show our support now until Jan. Cautious optimism is the order of the day and then re assess in January.

After all Rome wasn’t built in a day!!

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:59 PM

betty,

I think the deep-rooted cynics may have found something else to do with their time.
    I’d bet no-one who’s totally kicked the habit is still posting on here.

• Grafton83

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:00 PM

My mate supports arsenal, I was drunk when we got to arguing about strikers. Arguing soon turned into betting.

I’ve bet the naming rights to my next child and a free punch (probably in the face) that Cisse and Mitro combined would score more prem goals than Giroud and Walcott will.

What do you reckon, good bet or bad bet, any chance of a poll Ed?

• BandB

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Grafton,

You’d let him punch your next child in the face?
    And call him….oh….
    I was trying to think of a famous mackem footballer…..but I can’t.

• Grafton83

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Let me clear that one up quickly before someone from child services knocks on my door. Names are for the children, punches for the adults.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM

To have a strong division you must have a strong base. We and Sunderland are providing that very stable base. You could say we’re supporting all the rest (with points given to them all when we play them). It’s a narsty job but somebody has to do it. 😯

• Moe

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Another email from Charnley himself ..
    I like how this is going tbh ..

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:11 PM

It’s starts to the season like this that caused Percy Parsnip to leave us. How long will Steve last? Exciting times these. Thanks to Mike. All those windows with nothing spent have left us in a terrible state. We would have had to spend double what we did this summer to rise into the top 10. Here’s to Mike Ashley, perpetual loser.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Good thinking bettyswallocks mate but can I wait until January to fong Ashley again? Hmmmm. No, it’s not going to happen. And I’m going to poop in his wellies for good measure. Harrumph!

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Munster…We best leave the Cabella debate somewhere near the Mbiwa one 🙂

I hadn’t written him off yet.

Tsunki…That is well observed 🙂 Didn’t notice the sign. Top of the class.

Betty….Sorry, that phrase has been banished. Bottom of the class for you 😉

I’m not sure there can be “a way” to show our support. It comes as it does.

BandB…Famous Mackem footballer….That’s a good one 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:14 PM

I predicted 7 points from the first 7 matches, so we need 5 from the remaining 3. A win and 2 draws. Possible but not likely.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Moe….Care to share?

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM

We’ve got to steady the ship mates. And don’t rock the boat. And don’t jump on the band wagon. And fong the owner for the sweet baby Jesus.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM

G2…You predicted 7 points? Had you been drinking?

Sorry, more than usual?

This season isn’t about points, honest, it’s not.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM

A lot of you are saying: “G2 where do we go from here?” It’s obvious you lot. We go in a straight line, we bring on the Belgian midget strikers early, and we enjoy the dancing poodles at half time. Everything else will take care of itself. You lot are just a bunch of doubting Thomas’s. Harrumph…

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:20 PM

It is aboot the points Ibiza! It is mate….We need points! We need excitement! We need someone to get those parrots away from Tsunki! This is serious business Ibiza! Come on now, sort yaself oot mate!!!

• GeordieTwo

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Surely we haven’t spent more than Chelsea and Man U Slank mate. Right then, I’ll get out me abacus and make some calculations. Hmmmm. This could take some time…. you lot stand at ease.