The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star – It’s Still Like A Dream – I Can’t Believe It

8:09 am, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

It’s going to be interesting with Steve McClaren playing one man up front in a 4-2-3-1 formation,  how much he utilizes 22 year-old Ayoze Perez, who has looked good when he’s played for the first team this year.

Perez had a terrific season in his first year on Tyneside, scoring 7 goals in 39 appearances, and so far this season he’s made 3 appearances and he’s looked sharp.

ayoze perez man united

Ayoze Perez in action at Old Trafford

Ayoze was said to be a potential transfer target of Spurs in the last couple of days, and it seems Spurs asked Newcastle about his availability and we said no way.

We’re not sure whether the £15M quoted was what the London club were really prepared to pay for the player.

Ayoze has a great attitude and he has said this today:

“It’s harder because I had a good season last year, and I have to keep going and improve and maybe do better if I can,” “That’s what I want to do.”

“I did good numbers, but I have to keep working every day and in training.”

“I don’t think about the numbers or to do better than last year – just work and do my best for the team.”

“I always want to improve so that’s a good goal. I always want to be better so if I can score more goals, that’s a good thing for me.”

“I feel fit, I feel comfortable with the team and I’m happy with the start of the season.”

“I have to keep working. My first year was a really good year and I hope this one will be the same or better.”

“I’m still thinking the same – like it’s a dream. In a big game, sometimes I can’t believe it.”

When Perez looks so good it’s not surprising because Newcastle beat out both Barcelona and Rel Madrid to his signature last summer, and he only cost 2M.

Ayoze is one of the players who can ensure we have a decent season this term, and one thing we don’t want to be doing is fighting at the bottom of the league table again, against relegation.

We’ve had enough of that over the last three years.

What we have to do in the next few games is to get some points on the board, with Newcastle being second bottom of the league with Sunderland rock bottom after only four games played.

Tags: Ayoze Perez · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:34 AM

The window has been about what I expected back in March. Four first-teamers and an understudy in , but more going in the opposite direction.
    We’ve spent about £10m more than I expected we would, but I figured this would be our window before Ashley said anything.
    When the season ended, most people believed four signings and McClaren wouldn’t be enough and said so. Now 70 per cent think it is satisfactory. There’s no whitewashing this. Our expectations of Ashley were at an all time low. It wasn’t hard to exceed them.
    Nevertheless, I feel we may just have stopped getting worse. I doubt we have done enough to make up much ground. Owners who pocket their TV money will go down, simple as that. We spend as necessary.
    I am encouraged by the three windows scenario. I suspect though that the aim after three windows isn’t as lofty as some imagine.
    We are closer to the fulfilling the purples policy than ever. Even McClaren seems signed up to it. The squad is still getting smaller and will continue to do so.
    Because of that, I don’t think a new leaf has been turned. I don’t think we have changed direction or policy. The right player at the right time will continue and the stars aligned for that this summer. The right player at the right time also applies to out-goings.
    We have realised we need to show willing to stem the growing unease. It may feel better. I’m not sure it is, that much, as the football played season will prove, one way or the other.

• 2 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM

So now we know who we have.

Over to Steve and his team, to get us playing football. We should now be competitive I think, and able to beat anyone bar City on our day.

We should have at least 16 regularly playing footballers, 11 just isn’t enough these days:

Krul,
    Jan, Mbemba, Colo, Haidi,
    Colb,
    Wigi, Sock, Thauvin,
    Perez,
    Mitro

This is possibly our best 11, but people like SDJ (can he play football?), Rivi (could come good), Cisse (reloaded), Aarons, etc (but not including Obertan) must also be very regularly played.

Like I said, many players need to feel like first teamers. At least 16 but ideally like 20.

PS. In my first 11, surprisingly, Janm seems poor this year, to the point that a competitor, a faster player, needs to be recruited. FBs need to be fast as they have wingers to deal with, traditionally the fastest players on the pitch. Hope he picks it up.

• 3 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:41 AM

I think with me, what irks me the most is that we do not bring in players with experience of this league. Then, before they even get settled in, they are sold for profit because of a good season or two before we can even look at buildimg something long term.

I don’t think this policy has changed, we are still going around in a vicious cylcle and if we don’t replace when needed we will end up falling short each campaign.

Personally, I think it’s all down to the wages why we look abroad. We can bring in two potentially good players for 80k a week rather than a top Premier League player who might command 80-100k.

• 4 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM

I expect a few to leave at Christmas.
    Mbiwa and Ben Arfa went out on loan last transfer windows so weren’t counted then as outgoings. It was made permanent at Christmas, so no-one includes then as outgoings this summer. Santon slipped out almost under the radar having not been picked for months.
    It is a very neat trick.

• 5 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM

We’re third in terms of net spend (behind the Manchesters), anyone saying he ain’t happy is just messin

42 million, net spend. In the club’s history, we’ve never come close to that. We’re fourth highest in Europe…

Of course, this doesn’t automatically mean success. e.g. Sunderland and others have performed similar drives unsuccessfully. If all this doesn’t work out, we’ll have to look at… Carr. And send him home.

• 6 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Prodigy,

Even now, people are scratching their heads at the players we could apparently afford who we made no effort to get and went to other clubs.
    The answer is wages.
    That’s why Gomis and Ayew are at Swansea.
    Even if Mike spends £100m next window, we will never bring in the types of players many fans thought expected during this “spree.”
    Wages meant they were never on the cards.

• 7 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:54 AM

mugged off again
    yes he has spent
    bought the wrong players in
    time will tell
    i cannot see a brave new world
    only misery

• 8 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:57 AM

cyprus,

Transfer fees are one tool in landing players to take you to the next level. Wages are the other.
    To get the best, you need both.
    In the club’s history, we were prepared to pay both.

• 9 Slank // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:57 AM

If you want to see complete bias look at Merson’s transfer ratings on Sky.

We get a B? A question mark because he feels that our signings may not work out (no doubt unlike all the signings at all other clubs which will work out !)

Arsenal get a B because all they have bought is a goal keeper. No one else.

• 10 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 8:58 AM

B and B,
    Disagree. The facts don’t add up. These numbers are available. Last year, our average wage (40,000, about) was higher than Swansea’s we were 8th. I suspect with the marquee new signings, that number has risen.

• 11 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:02 AM

cyprus,

Average wage isn’t a guide to the overall wage structure though, is it?

• 12 bob52 // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Perez is already a star in my book, works tirelessly, intelligent running off the ball and puts Cisse to shame, he would be my first choice before Cisse every time.
    John Tudor can’t believe your comments today, the latest two windows have been good apart from the CH replacement needed.

previous post: Newcastle Formally Announce Haris Vuckic Deal