The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Will Have Already Lined Up Most January Targets

10:09 am, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Newcastle seem to have done a lot of work this summer and we had a good transfer window and seemed to have strengthened the squad by bringing in five good players.

At the same time Newcastle have retained some of our good experienced players – so it seems we now have some strength in depth in the squad.

We haven’t had that for a good few years, so hopefully we can have a good season.

graham carr

Graham Carr – Chief Scout – will be busy for the rest of the year

What Newcastle will have also done, that we haven’t fully seen yet, is line up some targets for January.

From the goings on in the last week,  it seems Newcastle are again interested in former striker target 23 year-old Pierre-Michel Lasogga of Hamburg.

Newcastle may try to bring him the German striker in on loan in January, or sign him permanently at that time.

And we haven’t heard the last of Newcastle pursuit of Charlie Austin (oh no!), and we could go after him in January for a fee of less than one half the £15M QPR wanted for him this summer.

Depending on what Newcastle’s situation is on the scoring front in January, will help decide what we do with Charlie.

Newcastle could for example sign Austin to a pre-contract agreement then, and make it official in the summer,  when he becomes a free agent.

Newcastle could also bring in some defensive cover in January – again depending on how well we have performed defensively through the end of this year.

Defense been our big weakness, and Newcastle have conceded 190 goals over the last three Premier League seasons, which is far too many.

Some younger players could also arrive early next year – such as 20 year-old central midfielder Alex Mowatt from Leeds United.

The Newcastle Board will be looking at how things have gone in the summer, and drawing up initial plans for who we can sign in January, and most targets will have already been identified.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Speak of the devil 🙂

Repost:

Ibiza,
    TBH, we’ll connect just fine once we start winning mate.

On blame game, let’s see, we’ve had: MA, AP, JC, JK, DW, DL, etc, but never, really, Carr. I am not saying he’s to blame, just searching, kinda ?

Carr, at NUFC, (or anywhere else):

Hits-
    Misses-
    Ok’s- (This column may attract many names)

16 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Munster, I do like that:

‘mobile, pacy blokes’

Carr here you are mate. No prob 🙂

• 2 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:16 AM

SETTING UP TARGETS NOW IS POINTLESS
    who knows what state the club will be in in jan
    in the windows you buy for the here and now not to line your pockets with future sell on profit

• 3 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM

he is already finding it hard to sell crap

• 4 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM

And Ed, I don’t mind you mentioning Austin all the time, because you don’t mention Cabaye all the time anymore 🙂

Oops, reminded you.

• 5 Munster Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Well lets hope we spend good solid money on good players like Mbemba. I dont want any more of Carrs’s crappy defenders like Mbiwa ( cant head the ball, rash tackler, only saved by pace ) and Santon ( a wing back at best, not a defensive full back , cant head, slow to tackle, awful awareness of danger etc ) . I’m a bit cheesed off to see West Ham tearing into the market and getting more pace into their team. I think its unlikely we will do better than them this season. Surprised and disappointed we didnt go for Lescott, but thats the stupid policy at the club in action.

• 6 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM

I guess we do forget, do move on. I used to get onto Ameobi’s case (bless him), then glorified HBA (get in son) and convicted AP (well done on the weekend mate).

I guess I’ll soon forget Obertan too 🙂

• 7 martoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Cyprus – maybe you should add “How many articles will Ed have on”
    Charlie Austin
    Andy Carroll
    🙂

• 8 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:26 AM

cyprus
    Problem with blaming Carr is he doesn’t buy the players he creates a list of targets more than likely numbered and NUFC go for the cheapest option rather than the best quality

• 9 Derek // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Seriously Ed, this obsession you have with Charlie Austin is getting beyond a joke.

– The summer window is over.
    – We couldn’t match the asking price for him.
    – He is not a Newcastle player.
    – Unless we agree on a fee come January and he’s on his way for a medical, we don’t want to read another word about Charlie Austin’s life until then.

Please keep your blog focused on actual Newcastle news which is relevant to the fans and give the Austin saga a break

• 10 WWSBRD // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Derek
    As long as Austin is linked with NUFC he is part our our news, transfer articles are what drew me to this blog and I imagine are the articles that get the most traffic

• 11 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Turns out, I’m not going anywhere! Hooray!

Munster…i am pleased to hear it (honestly), but I’m not feeling it. Not even just from the club, but from other fans. I don’t feel a lot of unity or love. Just calls to either be a real fan or get lost.

You may not want to get in to this one with me, you know my position on Ashley 🙂 I find it amazing how he himself can say that it’s not really to do with him (yet it’s at “his door”), and passes the responsibility to the board, yet people are still going to claim it is Ashley that’s changed?

The thing i’ve called for most during Ashleys time is more clarity. I still don’t think we’re getting it. I’ve said before that my blind faith days are over. I see some better signs, but they were desperately needed. I’m not going to beat the club with what they have done, at the same time, I will wait for them to actually deliver before praising them too much, claiming corners have been turned or that promises have been kept.

On Carr, he is a scout. There is not one alive that gets every player right. Especially under our remit. Young, inexperienced, with potential.

I do agree that the Pardew / Carr partnership wasn’t a good one. In fact, the Pardew /NUFC relationship wasn’t a good one.

I suggested on here a few times that if the club were to persist with Pardew, then they should support and bolster his coaching team better. Too many risks, across the board.

Is Pardew a great manager? No. He can do a job with the right tools. I don’t think it was ever a job that most NUFC fans wanted doing at SJP though.

For me, Pardews biggest mistake was his sucking up to Ashley. Have to say, Steve has taken over that position pretty well. I do hope he gives it a rest soon. He’ll make life really hard for himself if he doesn’t (imo).

• 12 swiller2004 // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM

can only sign a player on a pre-contract six months before the end of contract from a different association.

• 13 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Knowing what I do about Graham Carr, I can say that he is one of the shrewdest people around in his line of work.

• 14 BeeGuy // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:36 AM

If QPR keep Austin and get promoted, it will be worth it to them even if he walks away on a free.

• 15 Munster Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Overrated Frenchman….how shrewd were Obertan, Mbiwa, Santon, Amalfitano, the fat goalie, Gouffran, Marveaux, the french full back who went to arsenal ( was hardly unknown was he ? ) . How much did some of those guys improve us? Granted he has done well on others, but certainly hasnt found many unknown gems, outside of the Spanish fellow and maybe Tiote. I appreciate he is working to a strict budget but plenty of clubs are too. Believe it or not I kind of like Carr but cant be done with the fawning and deification.

• 16 Stockport Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:30 PM

I was of the understanding Obertan was a Pardew buy and thats part of the reason they didnt have any trust in him spending money on his own players

• 17 Stockport Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM

As for Santon and Mbiwa, I think with a bit better coaching they could have been really good players for us. Cathro working with the defence everyday already seems to be paying off but time will show I guess at the end of the season

• 18 geniusofthelamps // Sep 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I dont worry too much about the petsonnel we have more on how weare setting up as a 9-1 formation. Are we worrying about the opposition too much or our back 4. I think our back four look pretty solid so lets set up and have a go at teams.Think we look easy to play against at the minute in that we dont create any threat but look tight at the rear. doesnt make good watching from an attacking aspect and we have draw written all over us. lets get back to score more than them mentality like KK did as we have better defenders now anyway

• 19 Krul To Be Kind // Sep 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Ed

I’ve noticed you have mentioned a few times about tying Austin down to a contract for a free transfer next summer in January.

I’m pretty sure that you cannot wrap up a player on a free under the same FA until June, you can only tie down others under other associations eg Sotland and mainland Europe.

Hope this makes sense

Krul
    Janmaat. Mbemba. Matip. Willems
    Sissoko. Kramer
    Townsend. Wijnaldum. Thauvin
    Austin

• 22 toonarmy94 // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:55 PM

I don’t want us to be investing in a another CB from Africa. Matip is a really good player but were going to be shooting ourselves in the foot come African Cup time.

previous post: Poll Results In – Are You Satisfied With This Transfer Window?

next post: 18 Year-Old Adam Armstrong Nominated For Award