The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Poll Results In – Are You Satisfied With This Transfer Window?

9:34 am, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

We still have only just over 2200 fans having voted,  but it seems like most fans are satisfied with the transfer window that closed last night at 6:00pm, and around 72% are satisfied with what Newcastle did in the summer.

Steve McClaren +Manchester+United+v+Newcastle+8k6Kmehk8CBl

Steve McClaren was not doing this last night

Here are the results of the poll so far, and please vote if you haven’t already done so.

Are You Satisfied With This Transfer Window?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The good thing about the window is that we brought in five players for around £50M – Gini Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Chancel Mbemba, Florian Thauvin  and 19 year-old Ivan Toney.

And we kept some players we were thinking in June that we may lose, and they include Moussa Sissoko, Papiss Cisse, Cheick Tiote, Daryl Janmaat, Tim Krul, Ayoze Perez and Rolando Aarons.

Newcastle also kept older players like Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor,  Sylvain Marveaux and Rob Elliot,  so we have more strength in depth – even if those players will not be starters this year.

Most of them could leave next summer with Williamson and Taylor’s contracts running out next summer.

We do have three experienced goalkeepers in the squad, so we will not get into the position of having to play an untested goalkeeper in the first team, like we had to with Jak Alnwick last season for eight games.

Jak did his very best, but he just didn’t have the experience,  and top clubs keep three experienced goalkeepers in the squad, so that’s a good change from last year at this time.

The challenge now for Steve McClaren is to get Newcastle into playing good football – solid and resilient at the back, and creative up front.

The initial signs are good that Steve and the coaching staff can do that – but it will take time – so we suppose we have to be patient.

Those fans who were not satisfied is probably due to the fact we didn’t strengthen the defense enough, and we maybe should have brought in another top center-back plus another full back.

We are short of full-backs, so maybe Newcastle will bring one in during January.

Some fans may have also thought we should have brought in another experienced top striker.

But fans seem happy enough at the moment, which is a lot different from how they felt at this time last year.

Did Newcastle Have A Good Transfer Window This Summer?

• No (69%, 3,224 Votes)
  • Yes (31%, 1,449 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,673

Loading ... Loading ...

Maybe that means Newcastle are finally starting to make some progress in building up a good team?

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Sometimes it is worth paying the 80-100k wages to a player. It dosn’t always work out always going for cheap imports. You end up with dead wood like we have.

Your Riviere, Marveux, Obertan, Mbiwa, Gouffran etc etc.

Sometimes you have to branch out and pay the wages to bring top players in. This dosn’t happen at NUFC.

I think alot of our recruitment is based around the wage structure at the club. We may have been 8th last season on our wage bill but there is alot of poor players there on cheap wages which would of been better spent on quality. It’s no good having 5-6 players who are pure dead wood.

Just my two cents.

• 2 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM

repost
    for me and i would have thought many others it would take more than a few pennies spent of money what rightly belong to the club, the people, the fans and the city of newcastle and surrounding areas

• 3 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM

So Llambias is gone.
    And Kinnear is gone.
    And Pardew is gone.
    And Carver and Stone are gone.
    It must be CARR who’s to blame then!
    CARR OOT!!!

• 4 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM

ashley oot

• 5 blew // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Toon Prodigy.
    The 5 players you named are an example of
    many brought in by Carr. His judgement of
    players is impaired, as was the case at
    Blackpool and Northampton where he was
    sacked for recruiting bad players. The only
    2 league clubs he managed.
    He is the big problem at the club.

• 6 kimbo // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM

We still have got Anita and Colback in midfield with an out of form Tiote, This is the worst,smallest, weakest,slowest centre midfield in the Premier League.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM

BandB…Indeed. Only a mad person would try and argue we haven’t spent a large amount of money. Then again, only a mad person would and argue that we didn’t’ desperately need to, nor that we weren’t in a position to do so.

Was it even a viable option to have undercooked it anymore than we did?

Still. It is only window 1.0. Sort of.

JT…I’ve said during the window that there was so much wrong with the running of this club that didn’t even go near transfers.

Do people actually feel more connected to the club again? Part of the geordie family?

• 8 John Tudor // Sep 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM

NO ,NO, and thrice NO

• 9 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Ibizatoon,

No-one was arguing that with Supermac at the helm we wouldn’t need new players because he would transform last season’s relegation haunted misfits into the jewel of the Premier League.
    Wait a minute…….I think there was………….

• 10 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I packed all my pitchforks away, after the interview that shocked the world.

Do I need to get them out again for Mr Carr?

Can someone remind me how this works again? Carr scouts someone for years, when they get to the stage where they’re on a free and we don’t get them, it’s down to Carr? He’s advising them to not pay too much?

Or is it that these players just aren’t good?

I bet it is actually him that goes, take the gamble on the cheaper one.

Aye, let’s blame the head scout.

On that, I am going to venture in to the rain.

• 11 Munster Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Ibiza, yes I feel more connected with the Geordie family at the moment – you’re like a brother to me man – hugs ! I have travelled aaal awa england with the Mags but recent years have left me annoyed and frustrated. The stadium renaming and Wonga issues really got my goat. But I think Ashley has changed. He sacked the useless managers and replaced them with a new team, and importantly didnt give Charva a role. He has purchased good players at a lot of ( needed ) expense and things are better on the pitch, if only just about. I think we overrate Carr in a big way but at least he is in tune with Steve as he wasnt with Pardew. As I said on here so many times, the fans blamed Pardew and said he was crap but quite simply he isnt, as he has shown last season and is showing now. Carr is parr of our problem and clearly has certain players that he likes, but he should have been made find the right players for Pardew – mobile, pacy blokes like he has now. The manager has to dictate the philosophy on the pitch, not the chief scout. I’m much more pleased with the managerial set upo now and far prefer McClaren, but he is under pressure now and i think we will lose at West Ham too, although at least we seem to know how to sit back and defend so hopefully a draw. Mitrovic has issues and needs to calm down badly and i am glad that we are not giving up on Austin yet.

• 12 Munster Mag // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Ibiza, the head scout recommended some crap players, and some internationals that were well known, and got some good ones. He hasnt set the world alight and deserves criticism and analysis like any other aspect of the club.

• 13 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM

JT….Come on man, don’t hold back, spit it out!

So, you’re not feeling the love? Have you not been watching the new, behind the scenes, videos? 😯

BandB…That does ring a bell. Pretty wasteful of the club really. What does £50m get in interest these days? Could we not have waited until January to really assess the squad? What’s half a season anyway, when looking 3 windows in to the future?

Patience.
    Rome is expecting a delivery of bricks soon.

Enjoy the rest of your mornings one and all. Except you bricklayers. Get back to work.

• 14 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Ibiza,
    TBH, we’ll connect just fine once we start winning mate.

On blame game, let’s see, we’ve had: MA, AP, JC, JK, DW, DL, etc, but never, really, Carr. I am not saying he’s to blame, just searching, kinda 😉

Carr, at NUFC, (or anywhere else):

Hits-
    Misses-
    Ok’s- (This column may attract many names)

• 15 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Munster…I am off out, but I’ll get back to you later.

Nice to see you post to me – thought you’d been ignoring me! 🙂

“criticism and analysis” Absolutely. It does seem that this one might go beyond that though. Lets watch this space. I’d hate to miss the lynching.

Until later.

• 16 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Munster, I do like that:

‘mobile, pacy blokes’

Carr here you are mate. No prob 🙂

• 17 giimps // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Most of our buys have been 4th choice and gambles, no experienced pl players and nobody over the age of 27 when we get them unless they are free….fraudew has been allowed to buy older players with pace and that suits him but not us.. Fatty wants sell on value not bothered about the best player for a style of play or a system … Only sell on fee important… Hoping stevie mac is changing this philosophy .

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:42 AM

With £150m to spend, you’d be a mug to spend the lot at once. I’m for the bit at a time policy, so you can assess what is and isn’t working and adapt accordingly. By this time next year we’ll basically have an almost completely different first team to the one that finished so badly last season. That’s when I’ll be passing judgement personally. I’m happy enough so far, providing Macca & Co can reign in Mitrovic – and I think they will. The club has been so badly run for so long it won’t be repaired overnight, so I’m sitting back and seeing how things develop. So far so good. If things continue in this vein, I’ll be happy to see where it takes us. We’ve had four tough games, two with ten men. Would any other team around our level done any better in those circumstances? Probably not.

• 19 toonluvva // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:52 AM

I have to be honest. In all of my previous comments I have always stated that we would sell our decent players before we upgraded the squad.

That hasn’t happened in this window and I’m amazed and grateful for that. But there is still the January window. Only joking, perhaps Mr Ashley has eventually come to his senses about owning a football club.

I still think we could have done with a couple of extra players, perhaps on loan.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied. Let’s just hope we push on from here, slowly rebuilding and strengthening.

previous post: This Is What Newcastle Are Trying To Do Over The Next Year