The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Who Was Newcastle’s Best Signing Of The Summer?

10:36 pm, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

As far as we can tell, all four senior signings Newcastle made this summer will improve the side, and will be starters for Newcastle this season, and that’s what you want to see with new signings.

It will take time for the lads to settle in of course, and we need more than just four players to build up a very good squad.

steve mcclaren home to saints

Steve McClaren – needs to meld the side together

More good players will arrive in January and the next summer, according to both Steve McClaren and Lee Charnley, and there seems to be a lot more money to spend.

But to get some feedback from fans, let us know who you think will have the biggest impact on the side – in other words who do you think is the best signing this summer.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Signing This Summer

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Financials · Poll · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM

What about the coaching staff Ed?

Stop being sarky Ibiza and go send that email!

P.S. Gini.

• 2 Derek // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Isn’t it a bit hard to say this early on?

2 out of 4 of those signings haven’t even played a full 90 min in the Premier League with an 11 man squad.

• 3 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Paititi wasn’t built in a week.
    Taps side of nose and retires……..

• 4 The Newcastle Armchair // Sep 2, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Factually, Wijnaldum has been our best player but I have liked what Thauvin and Mbemba have done on the pitch.

• 5 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Ibiza…… Wow, you are a stubborn so and so. None of us trust Ashley and almost certainly never will for obvious reasons not all football related.

If we are never going to trust him and he isn’t in a position until it’s a financial situation to affect how the team play then why allow our mistrust of him to be so all consuming.

• 6 Jib // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:13 PM

I tried to vote for Ibiza
    Because although I lived in Peru for 2 years I guessed the thick doylem wouldn’t have a clue what Paititi was .
    Excuses for supporters is what makes this blog such a chuckle.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Betty…Stubborn? Apologies, thought it was a discussion.

We’ll leave it there if you’d prefer.

• 8 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:17 PM

methinks we need a group hug…

or maybe several vats of beer… yeah… beer, f the hugs.. beer.. lots of it… that’ll mellow most of us out…mmmm beeer… delicious, alcoholic beer…. thats the ticket… beer…

• 9 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Hello Jib, my querulous little chum.
    I hope we do really badly for you again, allowing you to show off your bilious “if only we were bottom of the Conference and I was the only fan left” credentials.
    I’m beginning to understand the type of fan who dreads us signing players now.

• 10 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Dok…Please don’t give Jib anymore beer.

Jib…Fear not good man, super fan and all round fantastic blogger, I shall not help you embarrass yourself.

The floor is all yours.

• 11 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Ibiza…….. I don’t mind stubborn, I encounter it regularly. My point is that Ashley will never regain the fans trust, the wounds are too deep and he is a selfish greedy man.

Our only hope is that from his backseat he provides enough funding for the squad to be strong enough to compete and that we have a capable ambitious coaching team to put together a team that warrants our support.

• 12 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:27 PM

I think we should sign Gourcuff. We need competition for Marveaux, Siem De Jong and Wijnaldum. We’ve lost a quality player in Abeid and need to replace him. Gourcuff on a free is a no brainer. These players need to leave in January:

Dummett – £8m

Townsend – £10m
    Rolan – £12m
    Sebastian Corchia – £3m

Net spend – £10.5m

Job done.

• 13 firebug666 // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I was just reading Charnley’s email to the populous, I just cannot understand why he hasn’t said what he is trying to say.

“Please, please please please please lads buy some season tickets”.

Well at least he has acknowledged the mistakes and takes responsibility, Just so long as nobody asks him why the were made in the first place eh!

• 14 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM

10-4 Ibiza, non alcoholic beer for him… or perhaps a fine fruity daiquiri with a pink umbrella to match his nature?

• 15 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Betty, so right my friend. You don’t have to agree with everything, but that doesn’t bar you from agreeing with some of it. What makes more sense? That his plan all along was to make the club a success, knowing it would take years of crap but being too ignorant and pompous to bother explaining that to people he views as unimportant – us. Or, making a mess of something he’s slapped his product all over? The first one makes more sense imho, but that doesn’t mean it’s right of course. So far so good, and he can’t change tack now it’s become so public. I’m just going to enjoy it while it lasts 🙂

• 16 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Have you Googled “querulous” yet?
    We call it “The Jib Game” round our way 🙂

• 17 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Betty…You might not, I do, and don’t consider myself to be so (well, not unreasonably so anyway 🙂 ).

I never say never. All I’ve said is I’m not there now. It’s not about being stubborn, just honest.

Dare to dream. We all want what is best for the club that we love.

I’m off to bed. Night blog x

• 18 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM

And here was me thinking betty had no time for the “I told you so” crowd.

• 19 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:35 PM

off to the local, play nice all… uncle ash loves us, one and all

• 20 jane // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM

just taking a guess at this because I don’t personally know the guy but I expect Mike Ashley is as trustworthy as most regular posters on here.

• 21 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Kets, you do realise the window has shut? 🙂

• 22 Ibizatoon // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Oh, and before I do go. Thanks for everyone spotting and commenting on Jibs unprovoked insult.

No doubt Ian will be on at some point to amend his, now, what was the word, it wasn’t critique.

Oh nevermind. I’m going to bed. Maybe BandB will let you all the know the word.

• 23 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:40 PM

BandB…. You’ve got one on you tonight girl.

• 24 BandB // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Only teasing betty.
    Don’t take offence 🙂

Goodnight bloggers….

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Jane, the odds are probably in favour of that 😉 You don’t even have to trust him – and I doubt he gives us a second thought – as long as he continues to push towards a successful team by supplying the cash and leaving the rest to the board. With another 100m to spend, I’m aboard and looking foward to the ride.

• 26 bettyswallocks // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Bobby……. I think you and I have reached the same conclusion that others seem to be struggling to grasp.

As I have said many times tonight, Ashley and his previous behaviour will never be forgiven and he will never regain our trust.

Why can’t we just get on with supporting Steve and the lads until such a time that Ashley’s despicable behaviour rears its ugly head again.

• 27 jane // Sep 2, 2015 at 11:59 PM

I don’t think he should be expected to spend his own personal money if he doesn’t want to just because he is rich, in fact he should be able to take a reasonable amount of profit like the owner of any business but if he and all the employees do a good job running the club so it is profitable then money can be invested in the team.

• 28 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Well the plot indeed thickens. In amongst all the gender confusion, in steps jib/jeff who is still dizzy from not knowing who is a he and who is a she. Bad time to come and call jeff. 🙂

• 29 bettyswallocks // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Jeff as in Jib or are they in Jane?

• 30 bettyswallocks // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Jail……… Two cows in a field, one said to the other, ” Hey, What do you reckon to this mad cow disease” . The other one replied, “It won’t affect me I’m a duck.”

• 31 lochinvar // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Come on Ed – your missing our surprise signing
    Ivar Toney gets the vote

• 32 Foamzy // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:33 AM

A few problems with your theories
    Dummett – £2m!!!
    Williamson – £1m (If QPR are really desperate for a CB)!!!
    Gouffran – £3m (He’s slow he’s old and he is lazy! Lucky if we get 1m)!!!
    Obertan – £4m (4m for a headless chicken maybe a rich championship side might want his pace otherwise its the Morrison’s free range isle maybe M&S)
    Shane Ferguson – £500k (If he succeeds on loan)
    Colback – £4.5m
    Tiote – £???m (Does he still even exist. I heard he’d joined the wizards guild and teleported away after last years african cup of nations)
    Total = Maybe £15m-17.5m