The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Fans Choose Best Signing Of The Summer

10:00 pm, Thursday, September 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

We have only just over 2100 votes in for our poll on who was the best senior signing of the summer, but it looks like the very first signing – Gini Wijnaldum from PSV – the Dutch Player of the Year – is the winner with 47% of the vote.

The Dutchman beats out defender Chancel Mbemba who has a good 40% of the vote and could prove a very valuable player as we try to improve the defense – which has been our (big) weakness over the last three years,

gini wijnaldum aftre scoring saints

Gini Wijnaldum – after scoring against Southampton

Florin Thauvin and Aleksandar Mitrovic take up the other places and they are in single figures.

There’s still time to vote if you haven’t already done so – we have one vote per reader in our polls.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Signing This Summer

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

You can also vote in the following poll is you haven’t already  done so.

Are You Satisfied With This Transfer Window?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Chancel Mbemba · Florian Thauvin · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:07 PM

My best signing that’s easy Ed.

Charlie Austin.

• 2 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM

They are if Bale doesn’t play they look ordinary despite my comment I actually like to see all the home nations do well, The Match where Wales beat Belgium was a cracking match.

• 3 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:10 PM

BandB, i have never had an argument with anyone on here, only discussions! Appreciate reading your eloquent posts from time to time. Cheers

• 4 Grafton83 // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Mitro will be the best signing, wait and see he’s going to get 20 goals no problem. They’re all great signings but I think everyone will agree with me by end of season.

• 5 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:11 PM

I’d voted for Chancel. Loved in the Arsenal game where he was shouting at his team mates to pick up their men at corners even though he doesn’t speak english.

• 6 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:16 PM

I voted chancel as well, he has indeed improved the back line, which is where we needed the most help, in my humble opinion

• 7 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Mbemba has been the best signing, we haven’t had a decent centre back since Woodgate.

• 8 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:17 PM

weve let in 5 goals this season… didn’t we let in that many vs citeh in the opener last season?

already an improvement…

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Well that’s the fourth time I’ve been allowed to vote, Ian Toon must have voted at least twenty by now.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Well it seems to some that the blog has changed for the better, after eight years of use, personally I don’t think it has changed at all. As Ibiza pointed out earlier, I argued against a groundswell of opinion that Ashley was a wrong un, the Cisse signing, despite not buying a CB made me change my mind a bit and thought a corner had been turned. A deliberate attempt to prove that success was not part of the blueprint thereafter does not make me want to trust them so quickly again.

• 11 bettyswallocks // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Due to no PL football this weekend I think we are all frustrated and eager to know how our new set up and players are going to perform over the coming months.

A bit of lively discussion on our hopes for the coming season is very healthy. Hopefully not too loaded with Ashley hatred and more focus on the new era.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM

It shall depend on how well the team is doing as to the level of abuse toward Ashley.

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:37 PM

I don’t get why there’s such concern that a few posters still harbour reservations about Ashleys long-term intent for the club. it’s nice to be optimistic, but let’s be realistic about this website are talking about the Mike Ashley method of many years. Yes, he made a speech promising bolted horses on carts, then he got a half decent coaching setup, then he sanctioned £50m spend to solidify prem status, meanwhile the PR machine got a budget boost to communicate with the fans. All good.

But don’t get upset with those of us who say it’s very possible we could be seeing nothing more than a lurch forward back to mid table status. Only time will tell, and we haven’t had enough yet.

• 14 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:19 AM

We are very much still a work in Progress!

The next few months will tell us just where we stand in relation to the Rest !

previous post: Newcastle Name Premier League Squad And U21 Squad