The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is The Start Of A New Era For Newcastle – Maybe

4:45 pm, Thursday, September 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 184 Comments

We have had three poor seasons since we finished 5th top under Alan Pardew back in 2012 – and we thought that was perhaps the turning point for the club, but in that summer of 2012 owner Mike Ashley made another big mistake, when he didn’t  strengthen the squad.

Instead of bringing a number of new players in because of the increased number of games played (there were 14 additional games we played in the Europa League), Newcastle ended up signing only one new senior player – Vurnon Anita from Ajax – and we struggled because our squad just wasn’t big enough or good enough.

Mike Ashley Sky Sports West Ham Match May 2015

Mike Ashley – during Sky Sports interview

We ended up struggling with relegation during the second half of that season.

We had a decent season in 2013-2014 when we finished in 10th place, but even then we lost seven of the final eight league games.

Last season was a mess, especially over the second half of the season when John Carver was simply way over his head as the acting coach, after Alan Pardew was finally forced out.

But it seems that terrible spell earlier this year – when we lost eight games in a row and in the last 11 games we got just 4 points, and 3 of those were in the very last game at home to West Ham – may have had an extremely beneficial effect.

It seems that Mike Ashley is now determined that will never happen again,  and he is now willing to take a back seat as far as the football business goes.

Ashley seems willing to rely on the new Newcastle Board of Lee Charnley, Steve McClaren, Bob Moncur and Graham Carr to make all the football decisions.

That includes who to buy and who to sell, and Ashley is no longer part of those discussions.

This is some of that Mike Ashley said on 24th May in his Sky Sports at the end of that interview:

¨From this day forward we will definitely be making our own luck.¨

¨I will not be picking the next manager that’s  not what I do.¨  ¨My job  is to make sure the Board have the maximum amount of financial resources,   and it’s their job to get the best pound for pound value out of those resources. ¨

¨To be categorically clear, I am not going anywhere until we win something.¨

This summer has generally been a good one for Newcastle, with the new Board structure, and we ended up second top of the Premier League net spend table, with a net transfer outlay of £52.6M, which was about £6M behind Manchester City.

Newcastle also have a new experienced coach in Steve McClaren and his coaching staff looks to be a talented one.

But Newcastle fans have had a lot of few ups and many downs, in the eight years Ashley has been in charge of the club, and there’s not much trust in the owner.

But maybe this is the real thing, and we suppose it could be, but only if the owner keeps to his role of allowing the Board to make the football decisions.

Mike Ashley’s role is to continue to give them the maximum amount of finances he can muster, in each transfer window.

That seems a recipe for success, but it needs Mike Ashley to continue in the role he started this summer.

Let’s face it, Newcastle did very well, and that could have been our best transfer window over the last ten years – it certainly was by far the most money spent.

We hope it will continue.

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

184 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM

This season is going to be one of slow recovery from the years of Ashley inflicted neglect. Finishing anywhere above 15th will be an improvement on last season and if the quality of football being played is easier on the eye, it’s about all we can expect.

There should be a few signings in January, to improve the general quality, then next summer is probably going to put the finishing touches to the squad.

Next season I can see us pushing for a Cup and top 8, with a possibility of European qualification. The season after that, we should have a fully re-assembled squad, shaped by Mac and Cathro and should be seriously giving the top 6 a run for their money and hopefully a Cup FInal to go with it.

To me, that would constitute a successful re-build and a fullfillment of Ashley’s WHU Pess statement!!!

• 2 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Thanks Ed wasn’t expecting thread at this time of day 🙂

magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Lesh @last thread Bobbybee@8

Second that. Only doubt I have is whether we can realistically challenge the top4 anytime soon. ‘Pool Spurs and Everton yes but that is still someway off. Even those 3 with a head start and a fortune(s) paid out rarely trouble the established top 4 for long. Others to catch before them of course.

We have stagnated again and as with first Post KK period it took until SBR and then some seasons before we were able to challenge again. On top of that we now have Man City to contend with whereas there weren’t on the horizon when SBR had us challenging last.

Some astute signing, a stable balanced squad with good coaching can only take us so far I fear as FFP has seemingly cemented the top clubs positions rather than loosened their grip. Hope I am wrong but it will take decline of 1 or more of top 4 to coincide with our rise. Having said that if money were taken out of Chelsea or Man City for whatever reason then a cataclysmic event of Leeds proportion could happen and I for one wouldn’t shed any tears.

• 3 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Ed…you seem to be more impressed with Ashley than most of us! Not sure why unless you ate just trying to stay positive? 😉

• 4 Zero // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Plaster on an axe wound atm, tbh the new lads need to come good quick for us to find a solid mount for next year.

I carnt help feeling that although its nice to see investment, we shouldnt be ecstatic since we should have been constantly improving over the years instead of letting it get into such a state.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:12 PM

• 6 Thump // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM

@jesper: Ed has actually been reduced to a snivelling wreck of a man, cowering in a corner, rocking back and forth while mumbling under his breath: “Ashley is good. He will make us good. Ashley is the hero Newcastle needs.”

The anti-psychotics don’t appear to be helping, I’m afraid 🙁

• 7 Thump // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:21 PM

@magscar: The issue with FFP is that it’s so easily bypassed (see: City). The other issue is that any benefits to smaller clubs (outside, say, the top 6) will be slow, and it will take years to actually show any in it’s current form.

…but of course the FFP will inevitably be changed time and time again, long before any potential benefits even show hints of being there.

• 8 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:23 PM

It did seem bizarre that Ashley would buy a club, slap his product all over it and then fail miserably. He had me searching for conspiracy theories – was his real intention to drive the fans away and then demand payment on the loan in an attempt to seize the ground? That didn’t check out. 🙂 I think now that he thought he could run a football club his way and succeed – but that didn’t work. Now it looks like he’s accepted defeat – and did a while ago – and took a step back for people who understand the game to take over. He would have helped his cause if he’d spoken more to us, the fans, but he went his own way and suffered the consequences. To be fair, he did mumble something along these lines in his ‘five year plan’ missive. Things are finally looking up and I personally welcome the move. Anything that gives us a decent team and something to believe in, is fine by me. Long may it continue. The signs are good, with a new coaching set up and football board. Money spent on quality players with promises of more to come. The future suddenly looks better than the previous few years without question. Will it last? No idea, but it looks ok so far. Personally I don’t care where the money comes from, as long as it keeps coming and we keep improving. We’ll know a lot more this time next season, after more spending has been completed. I’m happy to wait and see how it goes myself, but that’s just my humble opinion. Everyone else has theirs. The magic of football.

• 9 MadisonToon // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:24 PM

I’m in the same boat. I am pleased with the investment…but it’s about time. The new players are a step up on the last few rounds of player purchases, which is positive. I don’t want to diminish the positive but we’ve been put into such a state that one summer of investment isn’t going to turn us back into the 6th-10th team that we should have been able to maintain following the season we finished 5th. There’s a long road and this needs to just be the beginning.

• 10 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Thump, just look at Barca’s so called transfer embargo to see how ffp is a joke.

• 11 geordie157 // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:34 PM

When is marveaux back? Just think he might actually suit mclarens system so could be a useful squad player.

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Maddison, from the noises coming from the board, this is just the beginning. And it is about time. Better late than never though, I suppose. The point is, it is too early to make serious judgement and only time will tell if this is a genuine move forward. On the evidence currently available, it does look promising and I look forward to games now, expecting to see better football. Early days, but the football is chalk n cheese from last season. Long may it continue 🙂

• 13 toon kk // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Mash has put 50 mil into the desperately needed transfers of new players, don’t expect him spending that type of money again for a long time, unless he has to.
    I’m pleased there seems to be a bit more excitement around the club and SJP definitely has more atmosphere.
    The downside is we still can’t score and really struggle to keep the ball, we can’t even get a shot on target.

• 14 Munster Mag // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:44 PM

I am really pleased with the change of emphasis. There have been wholesale changes and I am happy to be quoted on this in the future. So I’m we are now looking at a different nufc and I am happier with the club than I have been for years. There _ said it.

• 15 MadisonToon // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM

@Bobby –

Yes, the football is already looking better although linking from our third to the middle and final thirds still needs some work. As long as we can fix our defensive woes from the last few seasons with some more intentional tactics, I think we’ll do alright.

It would be nice to have some potency in attack, though. I don’t think we will move up beyond 13th if counterattacking is our only plan. As you say, time will tell.

• 16 Thump // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:46 PM

@Bobbybee: I thought the embargo was in regards to signing youth players from outside of their catchment area?

That’s neither here nor there, of course. I mean, if this is how FIFA intend to enforce it, we need a much better system.

• 17 Thump // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:47 PM

@toonkk: This is what I’ve been saying all along. Yes, it’s been a good window, but let’s see how the next 2 windows pan out (Schteve did say 3 windows, right?). If it’s back to normal, then we’re in trouble.

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Well said munster, nowt wrong with a bit of optimism marra 😉

• 19 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Ashley Out!

• 20 Munster Mag // Sep 3, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Bobby the neggars can say all they want but there is no way mclaren is going to talk so assuredly about the next 2 windows without good reason. As he said when he came ” I have seen the plans”. Look and behold we sign wine. No wonder he liked the plans.

• 21 Munster Mag // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Wini not wine!

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Thump, that was my point, they don’t enforce it enough mate. They’re still signing young players by the look of it

Maddison. Having played two games with ten men, it’s difficult to judge our attack. I’d like to see Gini played deeper, so he can bring the ball out more. Anita and jack are too alike imo. Gini could break out with pace and power, which on its own would make the other side think twice about swarming forward. We could then play De Jong in the No10, changing defence into attack really quickly. I know Gini wants the No10 role, but for the team right now, I’d ask him to play a bit deeper.

• 23 dogfish // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM

I’ve never had such mixed feelings about a window. It’s great that we’re buying players with a slightly higher price bracket (on the assumption that they’re better)

What will depend on whether I’m satisfied with this window is if some our players improve under better management and coaching. If they’re as bad as they looked then I think we’re still miles off. One worrying thing is Anita and colback don’t look too good together in the middle, not much creativity or link from defence to attack. I’m wondering if the plan is to drop wiji deeper to replace one of them and de Jong comes in the number 10 role when he’s fully fit and up to speed.

Left back situation doesn’t look good, think we’re okay at centre back for now as long s we bring one in in jan or latest in the summer

• 24 Tinman // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Why Taylor must go

• 25 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM

The astute observer will probably discern I’m not quite ready to climb on board Ed’s Ashley Love Boat. Not just yet, let’s see if the water calms down a bit. Ed says the results were the key to Mike’s Epiphany, not surprising then that the Pardew Out ‘Crew’ and affiliated knuckle scraping ignorant buffoons are given short shrift and no credit at all to piling the pressure on Ashley to make him crank up the PR and put the ‘A Cup in Our Time’ video out before the hammers game. Not at all. Zero effect, all that bad televised publicity and low uptake of Season Tickets. I’m not ready for the pop-up book kids revised version of Ashleys reign just yet.

Nice to see Ed’s bitter long sword having another piercing stab at the bones of the Carver triumvirate though. Sleeping digs and all that ha ha.

• 26 MadisonToon // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Agree, Bobby, on that too. It would be nice to get De Jong in and see what he is really capable of as so far I haven’t been impressed and so far he hasn’t been fully fit. The Colback/Anita combo seems overly defensive to me and moving Gini back to take one of their places and have a bit more freedom moving forward from there would be nice. It would still leave the other DM and the four across the back to defend so it’s not like we would be exposing anything. Might also get to see the Dutch footballer of the year in a position where he sees more of the ball.

I look forward to seeing how the team develops when we get a run of games with 11 on the pitch for 90.

• 27 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Posters on the Ashley Love Boat?
    can’t say I recognise any who can be labelled as such. Most are welcoming the changes whilst hoping for more and without giving Ashley any love whatsoever.

• 28 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Munster, those plans were why Macca and Cathro signed up. I can’t take seriously those who claim Macca’s in Ashley’s pocket either, that’s a conspiracy theory too far. 🙂

Tsunki. I don’t think anybody has joined the love boat matey 🙂 Personally I’m just going on the current evidence, but I can’t see me sending him a Christmas card any time soon. I have slated Ashley in the past for what he’s done, so rightly I should give him any credit I feel is due. For a man of his ego, it can’t have been easy for him to stand up and accept he made big mistakes and take responsibility for them. He certainly surprised me. The new plans are in place and now we can just sit back and see them develop. It’s going to take some people longer than others and there’s some who will never accept the change regardless of what he does. That’s life. The signs are promising. It could be the start of something exciting….

• 29 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Magscar – have another read.

• 30 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Bobbybee – have another read

• 31 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Maddison, from what I’ve seen of De Jong, I like. He seems to slow play around him, which is usually the sign of a good player. He picks his passes well and has an eye for goals. Once his fitness is up to pace, I believe he’ll prove an invaluable member of the squad. I’m genuinely excited by the potential, I just hope I’m right.

• 32 hibbit // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:34 PM

i think Mc has been setting us up not to take a beating he would have been watching the end of last season and would not want a repeat of that that…… i think we were all agreed that the first 8 games were going to be a test and the last thing we needed was a good hammering……..because of this we have seen very little threat from our forwards plus 2 red cards haven’t helped……….. this 2 week break will be used as a mini pre season for a lot of our players with players who are not fully fit or coming back from injury feeling the benefit i had hope for 8 points from the first 8 games i am hoping the next 2 games will start to bring in some of them

• 33 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:34 PM

So we are in accord that there appears to be only Ed on this boat you have labelled?
    That you weren’t was never in question.

• 34 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Just an advise it’s not healty to kid oneself!

…it will just drive you mad!

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Tsunki, I thought I detected a bit of positivity in there matey, was I wrong? 🙂

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:39 PM

• 37 geordie157 // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Expect someone has posted this already but here’s the 25 man squad

Newcastle United 25 squad players
    (HGP = home grown player)

Vurnon Anita

Lubo Satka
    Ivan Toney
    Macaulay Gillesphey
    Tom Heardman
    Liam Smith
    Jamie Sterry

• 38 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Official Newcastle United Premier League squad (25 players)

(HGP = home grown player)

Vurnon Anita

Steven Taylor (HGP)

Florian Thauvin

Cheick Tiote

Georginio Wijnaldum

Mike Williamson (HGP)

• 39 geordie157 // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:43 PM

not sure why the question marks appeared!

I forgot about Good. Although he’s more injury prone than Taylor and De jong combined.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:44 PM

I am happy with our signings (some are still young and not named) but this is not a great 25 man squad!

…not bad either! But alot of dreadful players there and a few holes!

• 41 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM

geordie157…it seems we thought the same 😉

• 42 Belfast // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Not getting on the Ashley love boat. I’m happy on the ragdoll. Quack!

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Dogfish, It appears Cathro is responsible for tuning the defence. He’s certainly improved what we had last season, with only one addition to the team. I think that’s evidence of the improvement the new coaching regime has introduced already. Ten men against Arsenal in the past could have resulted in double figures! It is early days yet, but football itself is much better than under Pardew and Carver. I’m optimistic anyway.

• 44 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM

My god theres some right moaning bastards on here. The club are clearly trying to change their ways and do things that they think the fans want. Some people seem much happier when theres something to protest about. Ashley isn’t leaving and the whole “ashley out” crew thing is beyond tired. How about you get down to the ground, watch a few games and enjoy supporting your team. Same applies if you don’t live in the area and have to watch games on TV.
    Listen as much as you don’t like it the club don’t owe the fans anything. They don’t need your trust, they don’t need your respect, with the TV deals they don’t even need your money. Get over your petty little egos and get back to doing what you should – supporting the team.

Rant over

• 45 Belfast // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Here Jesper before you ask…

• 46 Belfast // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Tough day Sutty ?

• 47 Belfast // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Jesper that’s the ragdoll boat and that’s my landlords Rosie and Jim.

• 48 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Aye it was!

• 49 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Sutty, you should have more tough days marra, that was a fine rant indeed! 😉

• 50 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Sutty…I really am pleased you’re a happy little camper. Why don’t you continue to support the club as you see fit, and allow others to do the same?

“They don’t need your trust, they don’t need your respect, with the TV deals they don’t even need your money”

Hey, let’s just not bother at all then.

Just to be clear, Ashley can have 8 years to change his ways (potentially), but we have to jump straight to as soon as there are some signs of it? Really?

Personally, I think you’re taking the piss.

• 51 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Belfast…it’s a good thing I didn’t ask 😉

• 52 brklyngeordie // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Really liking the optimism surrounding the club atm we have played some good opposition early and some games we were down a man and we still were respectable that is what I think is opening some eyes.

The summer window is one I would rate as a success could we have done with a few more players and got rid of a few YES but still like the calibre of players we brought in and yes the prices were fair and dont mind that club will not overpay for players the only way to counter that is to look into other European markets where the players maybe more around our asking price, maybe a gamble but may strike oil as well

• 53 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:14 PM

by all thats holy, I am sending some bikini clad lasses Ibiza’s way…

if there were the seven dwarves on here.. id be, well id be dok, and Ibiza would be grumpy 🙂

• 54 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Dok…Aye, that’ll be me. Thanks for that 🙂

• 55 Thump // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:17 PM

@brklyngeordie: Honestly, I don’t expect much out of our first 10 games or so but a good performance and a few surprise points on the board, so we’re doing well by my own standards. I think a lot of the bookings (Mitrovic in particular) are coming from trying to carve a name out for themselves.

That said, it’s been very refreshing seeing a more organised football emerge, even though some of the previous regime still lingers.

• 56 MidlandsMag // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Thoroughly unpleasant sycophant @ 44

I do go to the games and I do support the team but that doesn’t mean I can’t criticise something if that is how I see it.

• 57 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Ibiza, if you look back to the beginning of last year what did you want to change, i would hazard a guess at

Ashely out (not going to happen)
    Pardew out (done)
    Followed by Carver & team out (done)
    Spend some money (done)
    Don’t sell the best players (done)
    Get a new manager and coaches who want to play proper football (done)
    Improve communications (done)

So apart from the first one they have at least tried to do everything the fans would want. Whats the point of dredging over things that have or haven’t happened in the past or crying because Charnley didn’t give us an exact breakdown of the changes in wages paid out etc?
    Just not sure what exactly people have to moan about right now other than on the actual football on the pitch?

I’m not taking the piss but i think people are who post “ashley out” 17 times per day.

No club is perfect, i’m sure Spurs fans are calling Levy crap for not getting Berahino and leaving them light upfront. I’m sure Man U fans think the club is crap for being stuck with a keeper who doesn’t want to play for them.

I’m not saying you need to praise the board for doing what they should be doing anyway, just dont see the point in the constant whinging

And by the way the original post wasnt aimed at you or any one person in particular it was just a general comment, so no need for anyone to get the hump!

• 58 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Wow Sutty…8 years has just been erased just like that by a checklist!

• 59 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:32 PM

with mitro out and run of slightly easier games coming up…i would like to see gini along side anita so de jong could play to supply cisse

sissoko—————de jong——————thauvin

• 60 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:32 PM

Midlands, no problem with people having a moan about something in current context. If we’d sold Perez on deadline day i’d be as pissed off as anyone. The fact is people trot out the same lines everyday about selling our best players when the fact is it’s 18 months since we sold anyone decent!

• 61 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:33 PM

or even perez instead of cisse

• 62 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Jesper, feel free to add to the list with some suggestions of what they haven’t done.
    I’ve just thought of one

Get a different shirt sponsor (not done)

Feel free to bang on about that for a bit if you like, no problem there!

• 63 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Sutty…Give over. It was clearly aimed at pretty much all toon fans. It could have been titled “Guidlines for being a good fan”.

Who is saying Ashley out 17 times a day? No one. I can think of 2 posters on here who still drop it from time to time.

Most people are assessing what is going on. Some are happy enough with what they’ve seen, others are waiting to see what follows. Given the past 8 years and previous lies, an understandable stance (imo).

Also, imo, it’s posts like your “rant” and Bobbys congratulations that followed, that makes this blog a hard place to have a decent discussion.

What response do you expect? The hypocricy of some on here is incredible. I’ve had to read over and over how the boycotters ordered people to do the same. I don’t actually agree, but understand at the time it may well have come across that way. Take a step back, isn’t that what is happening now?

• 64 WWSBRD // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM

I do quite like the new happy campers vs miserable negger debates, it brings back memories of the season we finished 5th

I expect these ones to end similar to the previous ones

• 65 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Midlands, I think the point he was making is that those who criticised for the sake of it, have been granted everything they asked for – including a club that tries now. What has to change before they’re happy? If it’s Ashley out – unlucky! Not happening. The rest they have delivered on imo and his. I’m not sure myself what more can be done. Any suggestions?

• 66 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM

to me it seems like the club and ashley have got there act together a bit…not blowin smoke up there arses coz its early days but it does seem like they are tryin to do things ryt….as your points above prove….and if they stick to there 3 window plan and spend well we could be moving up the table…but only baby steps at the minute tho…patience is required

• 67 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Surely it’s a must to pick up points against Watford at home? If we don’t there is a strong possibility we could go through the first 8 games with 4 points or less! Wouldn’t that be a poke in the groinal area with a pointed stick for the supporters?

• 68 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Today mates I would like to focus on happier times. It is the year 2025 and Mike Ashley has just sold the club after 18 years of abject failure. Average finishing position? 12th. Averaged goal difference? -40. Cups won? 0. Profits made? Enormous.

• 69 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Bobby…Did you actually mean “those who criticised for the sake of it”?

Yo…Deja vu man. Weird being the other side of it this time.

• 70 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Oh, and Colo has just retired by the way. In 2025 he would be 43. A perfect retirement age for Prem CB’s. 😯

• 71 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:48 PM

“Why don’t you continue to support the club as you see fit, and allow others to do the same?”

Can’t argue with the sentiment and would that all followed it but they don’t in my experience on here over all the years.

• 72 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM

never forget that I care… lol

• 73 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Totally agree with your comment, there’s no pleasing some.

• 74 WWSBRD // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Haha it is a bit strange however it is nice to base debates on history and facts rather than hopes and dreams

• 75 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Good point magscar mate @71. We all have valid comments to make…..errrm except ketsy, welshie, and Jib/Jane/Jeff of course.

• 76 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM

i dont think some people will stop complaining till ashley’s gone…so it will b no time soon!lol… and for all the shite the fans have been put thru..they have that ryt ….but the club seems to be moving in the ryt direction and thats something to focus on and be hopeful about…if they keep moving forward that is!lol

• 77 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:51 PM

I wonder if we will go back in for Austin in January.

• 78 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Fong Ashley! Fong him to distract him while I poop in his wellies and beermonkey pees in his back pocket. Justice for all!!! Harrumph….

• 79 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Ibiza, as a long time reader and new blogger, we had a long, long run of negativity on here, where anyone with a positive attitude was blasted – which made me decide to join in. If you think that rant was aimed at ‘pretty much any toon fan’ you were miles off. I didn’t feel that at all. You seem obsessed with people who express a differing opinion on how to support the club, taking offence where none is meant as often as not. Being permanently negative supports nobody matey – certainly not NUFC. I find it amusing how so many people who don’t go to games and never had a ST to give up, were the loudest when it came to demanding those who have , give them up.

• 80 Jib // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:53 PM

You are really good at forecasting stuff !!!!

For Example

“GeordieTwo // Jul 16, 2015 at 10:56 PM
    We won’t buy anyone jesper mate. Other clubs actually follow up statements of ambition with action that shows it to be real. Mike has a different approach. Some would call it outright lying.”

“GeordieTwo // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:18 PM
    Oh dear why oh why. you must be a very naïve young’un, still wet behind the ears. Mike doesn’t operate that way.Our bolt is mostly shot now with Mit, Wij, and Cancel Mybimbo. That’s about 35M spent. No more big outlays will be made.”

springs to mind

• 81 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:53 PM

I have got feelings.

• 82 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:54 PM

To know Ashley is to want to fong him….I am preparing some appropriate poetry for the occasion….BandB is not the only poet on here. Harrumph….In fact I’m applying for the position of Blog Poet Laureate as we speak…..

• 83 WWSBRD // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM

No more big outlays were made after Gini, Mitro and Mbemba

• 84 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Excellent recall Jib. I thought I could entice you with a small poke in the plums….Now what have I done???? It’s like taking a shower in the Bates Motel…..aarrgghhhh!!!

• 85 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:57 PM

i think they myt have already had words with austin and his agent(on the Q.T like).. to sign him pre-contract in jan and get him next summer….i expect 3-4 players in jan and none strikers unless we have injuries tbh

• 86 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:57 PM

I see welshie…..well I suppose I could prepare some poetry for you to use when approaching the ladies. I’ll work on it and get back to you…..

• 87 WWSBRD // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Can’t sign Austin to a pre season contract in January

• 88 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 7:58 PM

A small haiku for Ashley:
    Oh Mike, why are you such a twat?
    It is dark now and your wellies are nearby.

• 89 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:00 PM

thought u could if there contract is finished in the summer?

• 90 sing in the corner // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:00 PM

After a few weeks of change, for me the acid test is do I still feel embarrassed by my club and that we are a laughing I did most of last season at least?
    No. Change process has begun, but a process is what it is.
    Some will be cautious, and that’s understandable.
    I feel optimistic and hopeful now. The football is showing signs of improvement even if the results don’t reflect that yet. But its back to being an enjoyable experience again. Win lose or draw. What being a fanatic is all about IMO.

• 91 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Springy, bang on. Right at this moment, the club has done everything it can to address those grievances, from bringing in an entirely new coaching team to spending fifty big ones, with a new board and Ashley taking a back seat. I’m not sure what more can be done. People need to let the past go, it wasn’t nice. It might be different if those whining suggested what more the club can do, but they don’t, they’re just stuck in the past eight years. Times change, things improve. Is it really so hard for people to acknowledge there has been change? Apparently so.

• 92 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Not being funny but if i wanted advice on ladies (not that I want it) I want be asking you.

• 93 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM

unless its just a verbal agreement??

• 94 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM

It is the “clever” labels such as yours and others such as happy clappers that seek to lump posters together and then misrepresent their points that causes problems.

They were some on here who were blaming those who still attended for the problems and others hammering anyone who tried to give a different assessment of Pardew or Ashley – hardly a welcoming place to air your views.

I feel that currently the blog is a better place for most both just to read and contribute. I say that as someone still suspicious of how far Ashley will go in his seeming renaissance but welcoming wholeheartedly the current changes.

• 95 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Here it is welshie:
    Hello miss, I’m a nice young welshie
    My parents are from Swansea
    I’m not an English pansy
    And I’d love to get into your panties

• 96 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Oh Bobby, I can tell you and I are going to be good blog mates. You may not believe this, although I hope you do. I don’t come on here to be negative, or to look for arguements. I come on here to discuss NUFC. That will cover all corners, positive and negative.

It may well just be that when you started reading the blog, the mood around NUFC was a negative one. It would seem the club have held there hands up and taken responsibility, right? So wasn’t it justified?

By the way, it’s been proven time and time again that it’s not a case of anyone with a differing or optimistic view being blasted. It’s generally the posts that start with “My god theres some right moaning bastards on here. The club are clearly…”

An insult followed by an opinon dressed up as fact.

I didn’t blast you yesterday. I asked questions and tried to understand a) what it is you meant and b)where it is you’re coming from.

Not sure what more you want.

BTW….”get back to doing what you should – supporting the team.” Sounds like a fairly general instruction to all toon fans to me. Then again, I am apparently in a constant state of bitterness and anger towards Ashley. It controls my life.

Dok…One thing is never in doubt. The love can always be felt on here 🙂

Yo…History and facts? They’re now irrelevant. It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me, wo o o o o o, and I’m feeling good.

magscar…It’s a bit of a minefield. I’m sure someone has read my post and thought I’m taking the piss and should follow my own advice. I am genuinely trying to just have a discussion. I do find a lot of the posts to be reather loaded and not welcoming of other ideas. It’s a shame. But post by post, we work towards a brighter tomorrow. Wait, that’s far too happy for me…I think.

• 97 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Going back to previous comment, moaning muppets would have been more appropriate.

• 98 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM

imo its been shit for for so long and been so dissapointing that being hopeful and actually lookin forward to what myt b goin to happen is canny for a change….just need to beat the mackems and al be a happy bunny!!!!haha

• 99 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM

We have made some good acquisitions. But Mito needs to be put on some sort of calming drug during matches. Perez is an excellent player as well. The Wij is decent. We have Sissoko. Not certain how De Jong will work out though (it seems to be the case in that family). Do we have enough scoring depth yet? No. Can we keep enough out at the back? No.

• 100 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:07 PM

I think you would get a slap for that to be honest GeordieTwo, try it out and let me know.

Ha ha ha

• 101 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:10 PM

magscar…For me, that is the blogs biggest issue. People don’t seem willing to actually discuss the issue.

I will happily say that I was someone who made the point that those who still attended were part of the problem. People can take offense to that, or they could question and try to understand where it is i’m coming from- who knows, have a debate.

Generally what I got is that I’ve never been to SJP so how dare I say such a thing. For me, that is so small minded it’s unreal.

Granted it’s a sensitive topic.

You touch on another big blog problem…grouping people together. Big mistake and just gets peoples backs up before you’ve even begun.

• 102 GeordieTwo // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Right then lads it’s time to turn that frown upside down. I want a small but humorous story from each of you. Welshie anything about Wales will do. Jib can tell us how wonderful Sunderland is to live in. (That should set him off nicely, hee, hee). Ibiza I’m counting on you for a nice opinion piece about the club. Tsunki mate, anything except parrot stories will do nicely. Markaccus I know you’re still on here. A nice topical bit about your thong collection possibly. Beermonkey is usually short and to the point. Something nice and droll then. I won’t presume to advise BandB…..WWSBRD something titillating please….All right then….Let’s begin…..

• 103 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Newcastle United is simply wonderful. I couldn’t ask or expect anything more of it. It’s just a dream.

• 104 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Sing, you pretty much nailed it there my friend. Why anybody wants to be miserable when so much is going right, after so much shyte, is beyond my comprehension. Things are looking up, enjoy it ffs! God knows some were miserable enough when things were bleak – which is understandable – but why carry on now? So much emphasis was placed on that banner, which many seem to have conveniently forgotten. I’m not sure what more they can do to be deemed to be trying? They are trying and slowly but surely the majority of fans are accepting that. Some, however, will never be happy. Cest la ve Rodderney. 🙂

• 105 cyprus // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Come on Cyprus v Wales. 65% possession although that Bale is dangerous.

• 106 WWSBRD // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Its not allowed when it’s England to England so we aren’t allowed to talk to Austin until his contract is totally done but someone in Germany for example can approach him in Jan

The clever labels are ones I have picked up on here…not sure what issue they have caused though buddy

• 107 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:21 PM

Bobby…Clearly it is beyond your comprehension, so perhaps you should stop commenting on it?

It’s not a question of “want”.

But hey, keep on stating that some will just never be happy if that’s easier to understand. Or wait, wasn’t that aimed at me? Have I jumped the gun….again?

• 108 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:22 PM

ok, my two cents, on the moaning…

honestly… would you rather be a NUFC supporter, like most of us are, regardless of location, and suffer through what we all do, every season, hoping mike does right by the club…

be a manure or citeh “supporter”, buy your titles ,tell your mates how loyal you are, and basically be a plastic fan?

me, ill live and die with the toon, no matter what… I truly have mike has had a change of heart, and this window was a taste of what is to come… but, time will tell…

• 109 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM

read, I hope mike has had a change of heart…

• 110 welshgeordie9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Here’s my story about Wales.

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, they found a country called Wales and in Wales there are two top football teams, Swansea City and Swansea City reserves, as some would say they are a small team from the valleys, yes some might take the piss out of this small team, but this is the team that has done well since being in the premier league getting in to Europe and winning the league so you see GeordieTwo your dreams can come true if you work hard at it.

The End

Ha ha ha

• 111 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Yo…In fairness, I do get that one. It’s a bit like being grouped as never going to be happy, because one is still not overly happy yet.

It’s easily done, and easily taken badly 🙂

Cyprus…What’s the score?

• 112 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Back to my original blog moniker. Not over the line, not yo-yo, not magpies fly high but back to Angels…

Reasons for change – the transfer window has ended with the jury out on how succesful it has really been.
    And …. our superb disciplinary record spearheaded by Mitro’s example of on pitch discipline, needs a bit of blog attention .Mitro is an eager beaver, he’s just tryin’ too hard, and he’s a good lad at heart. Give him time to adjust.
    Another suitable moniker would be mellow yellow, but I never liked Donovan that much.

Come on Wales !

• 113 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:29 PM

To elaborate on my point about the Blog being a better place in last few months I recognise that many were desperate for any kind of discernible positive change that seemed capable of having some legs. Having satisfied themselves that it seemed to be more than a publicity stunt they have allowed themselves the comfort of long overdue joy at supporting their club again. I doubt any are completely sold as yet but presume like me that they see no reason not to join the growing positivity.

There seem to be a few who for whatever reason have deeper scars than most such that they cannot ever accept Ashley being at the club. Thus they cannot bring themselves to give any kind of even grudging acknowledgement that there might be some actual change a foot. I honestly pity them for not being able to get something from being a Toon supporter for however many more years we have Ashley here – it has been a difficult enough journey for most of his tenure so far.

• 114 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Welsh…Proof you are a toon fan too.You couldn’t bring yoursef to write the word cup!

Dok…My two cents is that whinging or fawning (or whatever non offensive word someone might want to use 🙂 ) really has little to do with being a supporter.

My family have supported me my whole life, but boy have the whinged at me too.

I haven’t come across one person yet who says they hope Ashley hasn’t changed his ways. People are simply hanging fire and saying what they see / feel.

• 115 cyprus // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:31 PM

0-0. Though incredibly these days Wales is ranked 9th in the world. So Cyprus are real underdogs here.

• 116 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM

Angels…Welcome back (sort of). I only know 2 Donovan songs, but love them both.

We have a problem…. 🙂

I said this in Mirtovich the other day. Could just be over eager to make his mark and impress. As I understand it, his hero is Shearer. That wont be helping things.

He needs to calm it down though. He can’t impress if he can’t stay on the field.

• 117 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Ibiza, as i had said it was a rant and apologies if i have offended anyone but from some of the responses there are clearly some other people who feel the same way.
    Back to the point, what else would you like to see the club do? What are your suggestions? Instead of looking at negativity lets look at would the club could do to improve in the view of fans who are currently not for turning.

By the way completely agree with your point on grouping, i’m not a happy clapper, i’m not in a little clique with anyone else, i’m just me and my view on things, people can agree, disagree whatever but not everything needs to turn into an argument or indeed a long term blog feud (as seems to happen often). And if i’m proven wrong on something i’m happy to concede the point which is something some others could maybe think about!

• 118 Jib // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Heard of toe van have we ?

• 119 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Cyprus…There’s something sheepish about those rankings if you ask me…

Magscar…For what it’s worth, I think you’re wrong and they don’t need your pity.

As and when or if time passes and it does indeed look like there has been a change, attitudes will change. An interview, a change of coaching staff that simply had to happen and playing some catch up on transfers is a start.

• 120 sing in the corner // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Yes you’re right in that Mitro is eager to impress. I like it though. He really cares and the toon army will love that. Someone he will listen to needs to get in his lughole and cool him off. Step up Alan Shearer to have a word? When he gets a couple of goals he’ll feel more at home.

• 121 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:42 PM

the fact that you have picked them up and used them gives them currency . You may not have caused problems in your post but they have been used to denigrate many posters and as an easy grouping of some posters who haven’t even aligned themselves with others. I don’t think that happy campers or clappers were ever used as a terms of endearment but merely as a sneering summary of someone’s opinions. You clearly don’t see it but then presumably have never been adorned with the label.

• 122 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM

cheers for that mate… bad…i was’nt sure when i typed it tbh!lol

• 123 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM

for your viewing pleasure…..a midfielder scoring goals lets hope we alot more this season…..enjoy

• 124 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Ibizatoon could have gone for Hurdy Gurdy Man lol

• 125 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:47 PM

What are we gonna do for the next four months without the Daily Austin?

• 126 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Sutty…You have my word, the day things have changed, I will happily say so.

I’ll use JFA as an example (although he may prefer I didn’t – sorry). His views on Ashley are well known. A few years back, when things looked like they may be improving, Cabaye, Ba, Santon, followed by Cisse in January and the 5th place etc, he did concede that things seemed to be improving. He was even hopeful. Turned out to be a big load of bull though.

Truth is, people want to and will get on board. They need to see it first though. Understandably imo.

I don’t doubt there are others who feel the same way as you, as there are others who feel the same as me. There are many others who feel completely different to us both. It has little to do with anything.

Anyway, to point. As many have stated, there isn’t much now that can be done, except sit, wait and re-assess. Which is what we all intend to do.

For me, and not to just dwell on the past, but to put the past to bed, the club could actually acknowledge what the mistakes were.

JimmySmith talked about transparency last night. That would go a huge way to rebuilding some faith.

After the last 8 years I think they need to go the extra mile.

It always makes me uneasy when I’m simply expected to forget something has happened and that it just wont happen again. The idea got ridiculed by some on here, but for me, that needs trust.

Do you see my problem? There is only one healer, time and being consistently honest.

I didn’t get to the stage I am over one summer, why am I expected to be over it in one?

• 127 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Take a chancel…I’m going to go out on a limb and say that’s a Donovan song?

Obviously it’s not one of the two I know 🙂

As for the daily Austin…I get flashbacks on the hour, every hour. I hope it stops before January. If not, Ed might hear from my solicitor 😉

• 128 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Of course, there’s nothing in the word negger, is there Magscar, that is pejorative and designed to lump together people of differing shades of opinion into an easily denegrated group?
    Of course, differing shades of opinion about transfer policy, tactics, training, pale into significance alongside the thing that is really being demanded here.
    Changed utterly, that is, from a man the same people have been telling us for eight years was just about the best thing since sliced bread.

• 129 WWSBRD // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Forgotten the deal that deal so quickly?

Pretty sure I represent both sides fairly tbh bud. And I have been labeled both very regularly and a mackem often enough…been called a lot of things on here tbh

Pro-Ashley vs Anti-Ashley debates better? Seem less flair on those titles though and I am one for flair

• 130 Online Guy // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:54 PM

That big stick you feel the need to bring out most days and use on fellow Writers …Ever ask yourself why your doing it ?

I find it strange ..Life can be a little better if you cut the sarcasm and the propaganda.

I’m not being horrible to you myself , just imparting half decent thoughts.

Give it a go Kidda …Geordie Two is a great bloke ..

Put that stick away for good Jib….feels better already ?

• 131 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:54 PM

You are very correct

PMSL at Austin

• 132 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Sing…For the good of the blog I need to clarify it was just a possible suggestion, rather than an opinion on what I actually thought. Thanks for the “you”re right”, but I cannot accept it at this stage 🙂

Definitely like the idea of letting Shearer loose with him though. No sitting on sofas though.

• 133 MidlandsMag // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:56 PM

The point he was making is that he is right and anyone who doesn’t see things his way is wrong and if he supports the club whilst believing that “…. the club don’t owe the fans anything. They don’t need your trust, they don’t need your respect, with the TV deals they don’t even need your money …..” it is beyond me why he bothers.

• 134 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Come on Cyprus get that little Principality beaten

• 135 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM

There are some regular posters missing of late or are much more infrequent but may be on hols etc. (Mister Tuff is I believe so I am not referring to him for example).

I am only assuming that they find it difficult to join in the Blog at this time as the landscape has changed ( however temporary) and they feel it pointless to make a contribution of their usual kind.

Whether or not someone or an anonymous group needs your pity is not usually the starting point for feeling it. To reiterate any Toon fan who is waiting for Ashley to go (whatever the next few windows bring ) before simply enjoying being a fan again is in a sad place and deserves pity – no need for martyrs

• 136 Online Guy // Sep 3, 2015 at 8:58 PM

BandB……..Hi Hinny

You been eating dictionary pudding again ?

I’m learning some great new words …it’s an Education on here when your posting. .

• 137 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Midlands…Wasn’t just me then?

Taake a chance…Thanks – I now know 3 songs of his! Not sure it’s in the same league as Mellow Yellow or Season of the witch – But I’m optimisitc for it’s future listening.

Look out people, the Youtube playlist has just started a video titled “Best Hippie songs of all time – part 2”. The next 20 minutes could be fairly chilled. Let’s tackle a tricky topic….

• 138 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:01 PM

That’s just The Jib Game.
    The idea is to post an obscure word or phrase, then take bets on how long it takes the blog polymath to come back with his suspiciously truncated assertion that he’s an authority on the matter.

• 139 SPRINGY // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:01 PM

thats a cunning plan baldrick!…or shall i say sing in the corner!lol….letting mitro meet with his hero shearer and let him give him a bit of advice and guidance…good idea really

• 140 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:02 PM

A bit of a worry that Holland look like getting knocked out !! Seen what the French were like when there was no international motivation !!!

• 141 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:02 PM

haha Ibiza, Mellow Yellow is a very good song

• 142 hibbit // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:02 PM

to many on here wearing rose tinted classes whats changed were still getting beat were in the bottom 3 tn the prem whats changed

• 143 Online Guy // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Band B

So , a bit like fishing ?

I like that ………..

• 144 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Yes Ibiza completely agree…I think Mitro is still very young and immature and trying to impress too much, not aware of the proper thresholds for a yellow and red card as he’s new to English refs, and with a tendency to lose the plot somewhat. I’m sure he’ll want to be a Toon hero and his role model was nobody’s stooge.

• 145 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM

magscar…You’ve missed my point. My question is whether that’s intentionally or not?

You don’t see this as a two way thing, do you?

Being honest with you, after being labelled a whinger who will never be hapy for merely discussing my views this past 24 hours hasn’t been overly welcoming. Stinks of hypocricy, albeit optimitic hypocricy. Maybe that’s where I’m getting confused.

• 146 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Wijnaldum playing in the DM position for Holland tonight!

• 147 Online Guy // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:06 PM

I was once accused of being vain or similar on this ere’ blog
    by me using the name Online Guy actually looks and sounds Naff ,

but it relates to a name ..its an anagram of…….?

• 148 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Sorry – This is becoming more of a point than I wanted it but whilst the other terms are clearly less of a put down I was also aiming at the simplistic grouping of posters views as being one or the other camp. I also have been labelled as such despite making it clear in comments at the time that I held no such affiliation . Anyway thanks for your responses and clarifications as I can’t recall which side you were on 🙂

• 149 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Ibiza, let me explain why people like me found you telling us to stay away offensive. I can only speak for myself obviously, but as someone who stuck with the club when things were several times worse than anything Ashey has conjured up, why would I stay away now? I’m fiercely proud of my undying support for the football club, which has nowt to do with who owns it. Turning up with less than 10k others when we really were rubbish, pretty much makes me a loyal fan. Yet somebody like yourself, who doesn’t go to games, so can’t relate to that buzz, suddenly deciding I’m the problem?! You demand I give up something I’ve loved doing all my life, just to suit YOUR agenda? Wow,you must a really important person for me to do that… or maybe not. Certainly not in my world. Now people want us to wear shirts that don’t have the club badge on. Seriously? Hilarious. If my club NUFC offends people so much, run along and start one of your own. At least those at utd of manchester had the courage of their convictions. I Refuse to be dictated to by someone thousands of miles away in how to support my club, when I do it week in, week out by getting off my backside and physically supporting them in all sorts of crap weather. Ashley out is YOUR agenda, not mine. And in case you hadn’t noticed, he’s still here. You say you support the team in your own way, yet all I ever hear is you whining about it. I was born to support the mags and always will. If that doesn’t suit other people’s agendas, I have to be honest and say I really couldn’t care less.

• 150 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Neil Young?

• 151 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM

This isn’t working Chancel. Maybe I should have listened to part 1 first? I feel I’m now commited to part 2 or the best hippie songs though.

What a dilemma!

• 152 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM

@Take a Chancel

Yeah he looks a little lost and Holland are struggling against Iceland

• 153 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:11 PM

What, that screeching old lady? 🙂

Only joking Online! I’ll put some Neil on now in fact – this playlist has gone south pretty quickly. It’s starting to sound a bit like outtakes from the Rocky Horror Picture show. Bizarre.

Bobby…Going to whack on Don’t let it bring you down and will have a read.

• 154 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Does that put the “Play Wijnaldum deeper” argument to bed?

• 155 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Are you saying I have labelled you ? Have I missed something?
    As you know replying to posts makes you miss what others are posting until you catch up later.

If it is me you mean then I am lost as I have never regarded you as a whinger.

• 156 Online Guy // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:12 PM

as I posted that I said,to myself, I will put my house on BandB to be straight in with the Answer..

I was once Accused of Being Nile Ranger , Not certain that fits

Accused ..hO !

• 157 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Ibiza this fits some people on here and the mutiples:

• 158 Online Guy // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Iv got zillions of stuff in storage ..its been a while from me settling down and listening to my wicked collection .

I’m busy Knocking walls down.

• 159 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Ibiza, i take your point on it taking more than a few months for you to jump from being happy to your current way of thinking. As i said my original post wasnt aimed at you specifically nor did i name a “group” as many people are fond of.
    Regarding transparency, i think they have gone some way towards that, Charnleys email gave some absolute specifics of what has been spent this summer which is very unusual, cant imagine many clubs doing that.
    They are never ever going to make a list of their mistakes like a catholic confessional and ask for forgiveness. Why would they. I cant even imagine most posters on here doing that, let alone a football club thats in the media spotlight, they would get torn to pieces in the press.

Onto another point that i kind of alluded to, lots of people discussing whether Ashley has changed, whether Ashley has done this or that or will do this or that. Ashley (appears) to have very much taken a back seat. You might as well be asking who Carver is going to play up front for us next weekend, he’s not involved.
    Perhaps everyone was right with their vitriol against him, he has disappeared and things are improving.

• 160 Thump // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:20 PM

You don’t want to see Ibiza’s medicine cupboard. It’s full of anti-depressants and hard drugs. NUFC branded, of course.

• 161 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Been trying to get off the blog for some time as have things to do but keep seeing replies so feel obliged.

Just caught yours to me. If you say neggar is pejorative then so it is I will leave it to you to defend that similarly maligned bunch of posters who perhaps never aligned themselves to that flag of convenience either. I know you will do a good job as always.

On the

“……pale into significance alongside the thing that is really being demanded here.
    That is, a toadying admission that Ashley has changed utterly, without a shred of room for doubt.”

you have me – who has been demanding such a stark admission?

• 162 Jib // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Mitro is about as far from a hothead as you can get
    He’s number 13 in the red – the least hot-headed among 30,000 hotheads

• 163 beermonkey // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM

are u watching the Holland game

• 164 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Bobby…Sorry to start off being pedantic, but the expression I used was about being part of the problem. It’s an unavoidable truth.

You seem to be getting a bit riled up. We’re having a discussion remember. I have stated that I too am / was fiercely proud of the undying support of the toon army. No one made the decision lightly, no matter how little it appears they’ve given up to you.

Again, to be clear, no one said you were THE problem. Just part of it. Perhaps, subject to another discussion, not even a big enough part to be concerned with? That’s not my opinion, but a disscussion that could have taken place to counter.

As for the shirt, you know, like everyone else, it’s about the Wonga logo.

Your club, my club – I prefer our club, if you don’t mind. I do love our club and don’t intend to abandon it. There is such a thing as tough love. I for one, thought it was that time.

NUFC is my agenda. If you can be bothered, I’m sure you can’t, you will find days and days of me deabting the merits of protests and boycotts over a number of years on here. Back in the day, I argued that the message shouldn’t be about “Ashley Out”. I was encouraged with the “Time4Change” movement. Then I came to the realisation that really, it wasn’t that important what it was called. I felt something needed to be done.

You do appear to have trouble comprehending other viewpoints. I should clarify, views that we’ve discussed. Perhaps you’re open minded in the real world.

At the end of the day, we both want what is best for NUFC. Please don’t be so rude as to question my support. I haven’t yours. We just disgaree on how we get there or what we do in the meantime.

• 165 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM

@Take a Chancel

Yeah I am not sure about him playing deeper he should be laying it wide and getting into the box to finish moves off he just looks like he is getting held back saying that Holland are not playing well

He just had a shot on goal though so looks like Holland are going for it now

• 166 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:26 PM

I got it, the anagram is ‘guy online’!!

• 167 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Thunp…Technically they’re Sports Direct branded. I’m assured the profits goes to the club though.

Mind – the pills don’t appear to be doing the job very well.

• 168 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM

You may or may not be surprised to learn that I am a Neil Young fan. Despite my optimism in life I am a sucker for melancholy in a minor key. Maybe the perfect combination for being a Toon fan 🙂

• 169 Thump // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM

@dok: You fool, it’s clearly Guy On Line.

• 170 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Beermonkey no that little Principality V Cyprus

Switched over t see Gini shoot then get subbed.
    Holland look hopeless

• 171 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Typical Bale scores and pulls Wales through again

• 172 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:29 PM

damned space bar letting me down again, thump…

I must be a Newcastle fan, I couldn’t get myself over the line…

• 173 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM

There have been two seasons when fans have either decided to mass protest (there have been sporadic bits in between). Those two seasons were 2008-09 and last year. We were relegated in one and saved from relegation on the lady day in the other. When people say that loyal fans are part of the problem, i would counter and say that protesters are a bigger part of the problem.
    On the other hand i hated Pardew so thought the “pardew out” demo’s were justified if as it turns out somewhat fruitless as he left of his own accord.

• 174 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Magscar…Nothing in particular. You just seem a little focused on one way traffic imo. Maybe just the examples that came to your mind. I was merely pointing out that for every “Happy clapper” there is a “whinger”. It’s a two way street.

Do we start a who started it? Let’s blame someone who isn’t here and move on.

Beattie? Yeah, that works. Worse case scenario it brings him out of the woodwork.

Sutty…It’s tough to know who people are referring to when they don’t say, so people assume. Perhaps incorrectly. Perhaps not. Whether it was aimed at me or now, I think is somewhat irrelevant.

Let’s not dive in to Lees letter. You really wont like what I have to say. The only point I wil make is that we’ve had club financial breakdowns before that made absolutely no sense. But as this is a new look NUFC….see, I’m doing it again. This all hinges on an element of trust. I’m pleased you do, although I don’t understand how for the life of me. I can only come up with hope. WHich I do have, it doesn’t take me to the same place as you though. Funny old world.

On Ashley taking a back seat. I spent a large part of last season having to debate whether he was involved then. I’m tired 🙂

I’ve never suggested he attends daily meetings or takes training. Removed though? How anyone can be sure I don’t know.

As people like to point out, it’s his money invested and is no small sum. I’d imagine a finger or two would be in the pie. Wouldn’t yours? That in itself isn’t my issue. I don’t mind him being involved, it was his mindset towards the club I objected to. My objection can change along with his mindset.

Nothing is forever and people can bring change. Not sure how much more optimistic it gets than that.

Online…Are you any closer to being able to give any info about that top secret mission of yours? I am genuinely intrigued.

Helpless from Live at massey hall (’71) playing. Life is good.

• 175 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Whoa, whoa hibbit, you can’t mention that, things are going far to well to let shots on target and league place get in the way !

• 176 beermonkey // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM

did anita make the squad

• 177 Jib // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM

Mitro playing against Armenia tomorrow night 19.45

• 178 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM

Sutty…I am off. However, during the Pardew protests, I do believe we actually went on a winning streak.

For sh!ts and giggles, do go further with your protestors being more to blame for nearly being relegated.

Please note, I wasn’t talking about relegation. I was talking about being “part” of the problem. The problem being Ashleys running of NUFC.

Anyone else getting dizzy?

Catch you all later.

• 179 Spotlight Kid // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Traditional haiku consist of 17 ‘on’ (syllables or ‘sound units’), in three phrases of five, seven and five ‘on’ respectively (5-7-5). Yours has 19 ‘on’ arranged as 8-4-7. Is it a traditional Geordie variant haiku, or have you been artistically influenced by Carver’s revolutionary interpretation of 4-3-3?

• 180 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:43 PM

It is indeed difficult to concede to people who always argued that Ashley was in the back seat that he should be given credit for moving to the seat he was always in anyway.

• 181 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:46 PM

If Wini was DM in a side that lost at home to Iceland we shud def NOT play him there !!

• 182 Munster Mag // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Bobby, you keep doing what you’re doing mate. Its time to support the club. I was one of those who said we HAD to boycott, in order to drive change. Perhaps easy for me from Ireland, but i would have been on the streets. I wanted us firstly to boycott that Hull game on TV a few years ago, to show the world that Geordies and NUFC fans could mobilise and not have the mickey taken out of them by a rich owner who wanted to change the name of the ground etc. I found that utterly outrageous and could not believe that Geordies would sell their ground name for 4mill a year ( a new Gouffy every year – great !! ) and put up with it. And there were plenty of fans who were fully relaxed about it. Believe me , ground name changes do stick – Lansdowne Road is i think one of the oldest rugby grounds in the world. Its now called the Aviva – period. I was disgusted with the fairly pointless Wonga move. All that said, I have to say, there does seem to be noticeable change, and I think people should be big enough to say so. I got pissed off at the start of the summer with a hundred different moaners on here screaming ” we havent bought X , Y or Z , we are a disgraaaace etc. It was non stop. As you and i have said, the change now is that Ashley spoke and said things would change. This was denied on here by many, and then we got rid of Carver ( many including me were certain that he would assist Steve Mc ) who said nothing much would change. But we dumped him at some expense. We then sign one of the best players from one of the most famous football countries in the world, and get better coaches and some more good players. We cant have expected more. We cannot expect a club like NUFC to go and spend 70-80 mill in a transfer window. And we sold no-one of note – although many said we would. Ashley kept his word – now he has to do it again. I have said publicly on here that I think he will and NUFC has a different vibe to me. I may not be a Geordie, but am a fan since i was about 7, and supported NUFC in Ireland when to do so was to be laughed at. I have travelled all over England watching the Toon, on my own and ( once i discovered them ) the London Supporters Club. From Man U to to Millwall, Port Vale to Peterboro, i have supported NUFC and would do it again in a heartbeat. I do think we are not going to do all that great this season – lower half i think – but we are on an upwards trajectory. Yes, lets watch Ashley like a hawk, but this , to me, is a different situation to 5 yrs ago – probably driven by fear of relegation and the Sky dosh, – but still a different situation. HTL.

• 183 SUTTY1978 // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:56 PM

BandB @ 180, I didn’t argue that, nor did I ask him to concede, so I don’t understand your point.

• 184 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Most on here I think follow their own course and occasionally lend support to those posts which they have a strong resonance with or alternatively pick up on those that irritate or completely rile them. Mostly give their own take on whatever is current or strikes them and join in the banter that appeals.

It may be a 2 way street but for a long time the traffic was mainly coming one way 🙂

With that I am off and am not likely to be able to come on until Sunday at earliest so don’t feel I have spat my dummy out if I seem to have ignored any response tonight.

previous post: It’s The Last Chance Saloon For This Newcastle Player