The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Transfers – Clever Signings For Not Much Money

10:12 am, Thursday, September 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 84 Comments

The EPLindex web-site has ranked every team as being above, in line with, or below expectations for the summer transfer window.

Newcastle are one of the four clubs in line with expectations along with the two Manchester clubs and newly promoted Watford.

steve mcclaren jack colback man united

Steve McClaren – canny motivational skills

This is what the site has said about Newcastle’s transfer business:

“Though Steve McClaren has made improvements at Newcastle United, it’s not enough to propel the Magpies to a position where they can challenge the very best, as owner Mike Ashley claims to want.”

“Nonetheless, some clever signings for not very much money, allied to McClaren’s canny motivational skills, have made a real difference year-on-year with what we saw last season.”

For not very much money?

Newcastle were second in the table of net spend to Manchester City, who spent around £60M, assuming it was £45.8M, although Lee Charnley last night said it was £52.6M in net spend.

As far as Newcastle’s fans are concerned, they seem fairly happy with the business that has been conducted over the summer.

Are You Satisfied With This Transfer Window?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In the same poll carried out last year the results were almost the exact opposite – so at least fans at the moment seem fairly upbeat with what the club is trying to do.

The goals for this season are to win one of the cups, and to finish in the top eight of the Premier League.

Can you imagine what we’d all be feeling like next May if we can really achieve that?

What do you think?

84 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Good morning Ed.

£50m by our standards seems a lot of money, but considering our lack of investment over previous seasons, if you felt so inclined, you could call the start of some catch up.

“it’s not enough to propel the Magpies to a position where they can challenge the very best, as owner Mike Ashley claims to want.”

Just the first window though.

As for targets. Is that a serious target for this season? Not knocking the aim, we should always aim high, but what if we came say 15th and got kicked out in the 1/4’s this season – what then? Is there any real relevance to our target, or is it more we’ll try on all fronts and do the best we can?

• 2 hibbit // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM

can we still take loan players or did that close at the same time

• 3 John Tudor // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM

not enough even to stand still
    you will be found out

• 4 John Tudor // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:24 AM

out of contracts dregs that no one wants even

• 5 lesh // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Gday Ibiza

You back on to continue the fray you left when you went to peeps last night? You must like pi$$ing against the wind!

How’s the bikini season been this year? Can we assume you’ve been discretely monitoring the quality to ensure it meets the exceptionally high standards required by a discerning eye?

Enjoy what’s left of the season!

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Satisfied we spent so much but baffled as to why the defence wasn’t shaken up completely. So I voted yes on the pc and no on my phone

• 7 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Lesh…No, just had some remaining drizzle to shake off.

Aye, discrete has been the order of business over here. A fine season has been had, or should I say, is being had.

Are you pleased with the direction of the club at present?

• 8 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM

50 million spent on 4 quality signings & a youth player. A def, att mid, winger & striker. How can i grumble with that when I wasn’t expecting even half that to be spent

• 9 WWSBRD // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Satisfied? I really don’t know it’s a start but for me the club should of done more this window, should of taken the hit on a few players we have and brought in their replacements rather than wait but baby steps I suppose

• 10 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Begining of season I was expecting fatty to hogg on to his money again & break another promise. Most I was expecting was a defender & striker brought in. A window like what pardew would get. 50 million does me nicely

• 11 toonbrother // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM

We could have upgraded our squad massively by sacking colocinni
    and it won’t have cost us a dime!
    Glad to have Mitro, Chancel, Gigi and thauvin but to be honest, We did not need them
    At the end of last season all we needed was a
    1. a Sound defence – Sack Colo
    2. a competent manager that could get the best out of our vast array of attacking talent: Marveaux, Cabella, Sissoko, Dejong, Perez, Cisse, Riviere, Arrons and Ameobi

For me the transfer window was a failure because Colo is still here.
    We are still a condemned side with him embedded in the starting11

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Thought the article last night about Cathro sorting out the defence was interesting. He certainly has made a massive difference already, considering the fact that he’s only had one new member of the back four to work with. Haidarra seems to be getting back to how he was before McMannaman nearly broke him in two – that one described by Whelan and Martinez as just a good solid tackle I recall. I would’ve argued for another defender, but it’s too late for that now so he can only work with what he’s got. The lad appears to be something of a genius.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:30 AM

just for a moment I thought you weren’t going to mention Colo and then none of us would be any the wiser as to how you truly feel about him. lol.

On another note hope perez gets mitro’s place for the next 3 games. Perez is a class act with none of nitro’s obvious character flaws.

perez is that berahino type player who will make clever runs and the movement will be far more fluid. starting to really regret getting nitro now. Hope I’m proved wrong.

• 14 headtheball // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Anyone old enough to remember Bobby Vee, not the new imposter.
    Rubberball, The night has a thousand eyes and my favourite, ( The Ode to Ashley )
    Take good care of my football team,
    Be just as kind as you can be
    And if you should discovIT
    That you don’t really loveIT
    Just send my football team back home to me.

• 15 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM

All successful teams these days are built on being hard to beat ( KK might have changed that way back in 1995/96 but we came up short and rest is history). Cathcart has indeed worked wonders with what most on here thought were worse than useless. Part of how he has done so is to get the team working as a defensive unit. As some have pointed out one of the problems was lack of cover in midfield which left back 4 exposed by runners. In tightening up and exacerbated by indiscipline the attacking side of our game in Pl is yet to flourish and surely needs time.

I get the Rome jokes but surely if the club was in such disarray as most agreed then given a complete overhaul of management and coaches, partial re-stocking of players, difficulty in shifting those not required , need to begin to re-engage with a disenchanted crowd then it is going to take time and there is no getting away from it. The journey can only start from where we now are and not from the point at which where some would like us to have been and refuse to budge.

• 16 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I agree with almost all of that.
    Things will take time.
    What amuses me is that the high priests of the New World Order are exactly the same people who wouldn’t here a wrong word said about the Old World Order.
    They are proclaiming that the kingdom of heaven is suddenly upon us and that the cost of entry is to prostrate oneself at the alter of Ashley, right NOW.
    Meanwhile they get on with the real business of trying to settle scores with the people always saw that the club needed to conduct itself differently.
    All obsequiousness and no play makes the blog a dull boy.

• 17 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM

I take it that was aimed at me lol. So now I’m pro Ashley am I? I’m neither marra, I don’t give him a second thought except on here. I didn’t like the old Ashley, but I can see where he has changed because I’m not obsessed with him. I believe I’ve repeated this, but some people just can’t get it. I’m a football fan, not a politician. I don’t care who owns the club, they’re all the same. Always have been if you bother to check. If Ashley is now investing in the club, why should that bother me? About time too. Just because I don’t wallow in the past, grieving how Ashley has plotted against us all, doesn’t make me like the guy. I don’t know him, I can’t pass judgement. I don’t give him much thought. I’ve got a life. If he’s putting money into buying players, why should I not be happy? Now read this slowly – all I care about is the football team. Nothing more. Things are finally moving in the right direction and I for one intend to enjoy it. If you would rather stay in the past, ripping your hair out about the things Ashley got very badly wrong – fine by me. Things he has actually admitted he got wrong and taken the blame for. I’m moving on, but nobody is asking you to do so. And if you think I’m an Ashley lover – lmao! Do I care? Does your opinion impinge on any aspect of my life? God forbid it ever would. I don’t even know you, why would I care? Wallow away to your hearts content, it means nothing to me.

• 18 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM

The blog’s not all all about you, you know 🙂

And I have no problems with your opinions. I am sure they are strongly held.

It’s your constant belly-aching about everyone who doesn’t share them that makes you such a hypocrite.

• 19 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I remain a self proclaimed stoic and am enjoying the first shoots of recovery but have been around too long not to be wary of what Autumn and Winter frost can bring. Not stopping me looking forward this season though as things have a more permanent look about them than for some years and I believe we may have some in reserve to build and stock a greenhouse to protect those shoots. Sorry for gardening metaphor after the travel one just the way my mind is working this morning.

Unlike some I find your chirpiness of last few months an antidote to the misery on here but then I am also a glass half full bloke so I would wouldn’t I.

• 20 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM

You couldn’t really get a cigarette paper between my views on the club and those so elegantly expressed by Lil.
    The difference is only that I have been in conflict with the High Priests of Ashley and he hasn’t.
    I can’t think of anyone on here who hasn’t expressed an opinion I’ve agreed with, and I will often say so.
    So if you had the impression that you had the heretics on the run, I hope you think again. I’m not going to be told what to think by anyone.

• 21 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:14 PM

I have enjoyed reading your take on things. Some credit is due. The window was better than I thought, but not better than I thought we needed. I think we may have not so much the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning, but maybe the beginning of the beginning.

• 22 John Tudor // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:18 PM

end of the end even

• 23 OneAlanShearer // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM

The ominous this game in the latest email / statement from the club is the mentioning of building through the numerous windows ahead…They have never specifically said they will be the next 3 windows…I suspect it will only be the summer windows we specifically spend in. This summer for me is a missed opportunity. All clubs will need to spend more and larger fees to sign players with the new tv deal ahead. We should have spent on a new centre back left back and right back competing a deep lying playmaker / dm. A top quality striker.

All is far from lost but the gaps are still there and the new lads must gel very quickly. Hopefully schteve can get that all important win under his belt in the league and continue in the cups as far as possible.

Good luck to the lads …All the prep is over now…time to deliver.

• 24 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM

BandB. If somebody asks me something, or takes a dig, I respond. The purpose of a blog surely? I have my opinions and express them as such. I don’t make sweeping statements, such as ‘we’ll never spend that amount on one player’. Or, ‘anybody who believes Ashley won’t sell players to recoup is a delusional idiot’ – as has been heard on here repeatedly. I have my opinions and give them substance, rather than screaming abuse at people. I put up counter argument, which is surely the point? If people can’t reply with a decent point, that’s not my problem. I’ve never once said I am right. I always say imo. That’s all any of us have – an opinion. There’s many on here I think haven’t a scooby, but I still respect that opinion. I discuss a point for a while, but if both parties can’t agree, I always use my favourite ‘agree to disagree’ and move on. Life’s too short to bear grudges. Especially with people you don’t even know 🙂

• 25 John Tudor // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM

i defer to agree to disagree whole heartedly

• 26 magscar // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I don’t want to get into rehashing old discussions as to why we ended up where we were ( as I am sure you don’t) so I will simply wholeheartedly agree that we are at the beginning of the beginning. Now how long will that phase last and are we allowed to pause to take stock or must we drive on regardless to make up for all that lost ground – was never easy being a Toon fan 🙂

Must get off for a while probably back on later

• 27 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Well those are still opinions, sweeping or not. It’s not really where I am.
    Asserting that the defence has been sorted out and players transformed is also an opinion, sweepingly stated.
    Mine is that has been wrapped in a double envelope of midfield players, at the cost of us having a 25-yard toehold on the playing surface while ceding the rest to the opposition…much as magscar states.

• 28 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Why magscar, how very nice of you old chap! 😉 All I’ve ever wanted is a team that challenges. I don’t care who provides that team – including Ashley. I simply do not care. There’s been a massive improvement in the feeling around SJP this season – a feeling of rebirth and building a new team. I love it and intend to enjoy it whilst it lasts – being fully aware of how it can all change very quickly. I’m just a realist mate. Nothing will change overnight, so why expect it to? Only disappointment down that alley. I will continue to be upbeat until it goes tits up – if it does. 🙂

• 29 John Tudor // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM

and the results so far have satisfied your lust for improvement

• 30 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM

“Nothing will change overnight, so why expect it to?”

I think that’s the difference between us encapsulated in a sentence.

I agree that nothing will change overnight. Which is why I won’t be declaring myself sated with contentment, but keeping up the momentum for progress and change.

• 31 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM

It’s a no brainer to sell Dummett to Palace for £8m and sign Raphael Guerriero for £9m. He’s quality. Dummett is useless.

• 32 hibbit // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:39 PM

bobby not sure thats true in the milburn stand a lot around me still its been a mistake not buy cb

• 33 OneAlanShearer // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Bloody predictive text…

That meant to say ‘thing’ not ‘this game’.

• 34 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM

BandB, sadly, defending deep deinitely comes about with ten men on the field. I’m not saying the garden is rosy, we’ve got a long way to go before that. I see this as just the start of a journey, nowhere near the finished product. I would like to see Gini pushed back a bit, so he can bring the ball out of defence. I think Colback and Anita are too alike to play together which is why our attacks stall. Again, just my opinion, but one I think makes sense. If we had Gini breaking at pace and De Jong linking the play, I think we could break on teams with real power and make them think twice about swarming forward. We can’t change things until January, so I see little point in worrying about something we simply can’t change. Cathro appears to be working a minor miracle with the defensive options he’s got and deserves credit for it. I see a change – one that was badly needed. I am an optimist, therefore hope for the best. I think there is a genuine light at the end of a long, dark tunnel and I want to enjoy it whilst it lasts 🙂

• 35 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Well £52m could be a lot of money, spent in the scheme of regular maintenance of a challenging club. But what we have had is a landlord who has been content to defer maintenance while pocketing the rent. Only when the house is dilapidated and in danger of subsiding does he condescend to putting his hand in his pocket and yes, it’s a hefty bill I’m afraid, should have just maintained the place properly. Let’s hope our landlord has learned his painful lesson, and that he’s put a good maintenance plans in place. But let’s not overlook it is the same guy.

• 36 andrew84 // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:43 PM

My early season thoughts are pretty concise:

We have played Southampton, Swansea, Man United and Arsenal.

In previous years we have shipped goals against each of these teams as if they are going out of fashion.

This season we have conceded a total of 5 goals – two of these games were played with 10 men for the majority of the game.

That’s enough evidence for me to say that we’ve already made huge progress.

Add that to the £50million on new players and the overhaul of the coaching/management setup and I wouldn’t have dreamed that we’d have done so well. Maybe I’m just easily pleased but I like to think we’re turning the corner.

• 37 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Dummett worth every penny of 8 mill, considering Wales are now ranked ninth in the world, and England tenth. Sell! Sell! Sell!

• 38 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I’d value him at £2m. I suppose he can play centre back and left back and plays for a poor Wales team, but to get £8m for him is just a joke.

I reckon we could get £10m for Obertan

• 39 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I want to enjoy it too, but not fatalistically, “while it lasts.”
    We will have a small squad, and the scope for harvesting a player for the Christmas dinner table at the expense of the rest of the season is no longer an option.
    I want to see is building and developing a team for success that does last, rather than see us behaving like we were a market garden.
    There’s work to be done, sunshine or showers.
    I would call THAT optimism.

• 40 Fostino // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM

our best 11
    janmaat mbemba colo dummett
    thauvin sissoko wini aarons
    de jong mitro

• 41 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Hibbit, I believe I said I would ‘ve been happier with another CB drafted in somewhere today mate. I think we needed it and still do, but that boat’s sailed already. We have to make do until January, whether I like it or not. If Cathro can make a CB out of Lascelles, he’s the right size and build. All I’m saying is that he’s done a canny job with the tools he’s been given.

• 42 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Last season bore all the fruit of an unfit squad, physical, skill and mental attributes all below par, driven by an archaic coaching team. A disorganised collection of players vainly chasing shadows until they tired and imploded.

I see we close down quicker, and the green shoots of passing play mean we will tire at the same rate as the opposition, rather than before. Wijnaldum is indeed a force to be reckoned with in midfield, free to move, turns men at will, good vision. Colback should be a revitalising sub for a midfielder who has run out of gas at 70 minutes, game almost won. Our command of the midfield should rarify the oppositions opportunity to come at us. And make them afraid to commit too heavily. There’s your easing of pressure on our defence. It needs to be busy and pressing defences at speed. This is what I hope to see. That and mitrovic gaining pitch time without a record card count. Maybe Cisse can make his presence felt again during the coming three games.

• 43 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Howay Steven Taylor!

Made a most of the 21st century PL team….for days injured!

• 44 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 12:59 PM

BandB, when I say ‘whilst it lasts’ it’s based on many years of disappointment! 🙂 I look at it that there’s plenty time to moan when things are going wrong, so I enjoy them whilst they’re looking up. Right now, there’s reason to think things are starting to look up. It is just a start, but after years of underinvestment it’s welcome in my house. So many people said we would need 100-150 mil to compete, not just 40 in one window. Agreed, but now that’s what we’re getting. It would be unwise to spend it all at once for many reasons, so building over a few windows is sound. He’s finally doing what we wanted him to do imo and I’ll take his money all day long.

• 45 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM

I really didn’t have you in mind for the first post I made today.
    It was clearly addressed to those trying to settle scores with old adversaries, and you are a “long time reader first time poster” are you not?
    I’m prepared to draw a discreet veil over that.
    I want progress. You, I presume, want progress too.
    If that is that is the case, I don’t see that we are on different sides.

• 46 Sliema // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Saw that and it made me chuckle. No doubt Woodgate would have been first pick if we hadn’t sold him to Madrid.

Do you think Tayls could have been an England cb of he hadn’t had these injuries?

• 47 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Tsunki, I think we’re both on the same page there matey. 😉

• 48 DaraghL // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Ibiza –

I am getting slated on that for calling Dyer a great player…I stick to my believe!

• 49 DaraghL // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Sliemna –

Don’t mention the E word around Taylor…he’s been fit over a week and will probably release a statement saying he’s good enough again!

• 50 Jib // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:11 PM

The new players aren’t as good as the older guys.
    Michael Owen could “sicknote” these young upstarts with his eyes shut.

• 51 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:12 PM

BandB, surely everyone should be on the same side? Success for the Toon is what I’ve craved all my 58 years, but the Fairs Cup aside – which my parents refused to let me attend after the Rangers match – I’ve seen very little. The very thought that we might win something before I peg out is well worth grabbing on to!

• 52 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Silema…I have a tainted view of Woodgate, although he was a great player (when able to play). I’ll never shake the image of him standing on a table declaring to a beach full of peoople that he played fir NUFC and then proceeding to smash a pint glass on his head.

As for Taylor and England. I used to think so. I’m not sure if he tries to do too much when he returns from injuries these days, but he tends to do some ridiculous things at times.

Given no injuries and a long run in the team, i think he could have made it.

BandB & Bobby…I’ve been thinking about our discussion from last night. Is part of the issue those who think we can’t do anything and those that do? It was a similar situation before the boycotts, perhaps there is still some of that at play? Seem to recall that getting slipped in there. Something along the lines of, but not a direct quote “we can’t do anything, so might as well accept what we’re given”.

• 53 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Bloody parents!!! 🙂

• 54 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Someone recently mentioned “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.”
    I think it is sometimes misunderstood as being a song in praise of optimism.
    In fact it takes the view that “life’s a piece of s**t” and the best we can do is grin and bear it.
    Which is a bit …well…pessimistic,really.

• 55 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Gotta zip into the toon. Enjoy your day in blogland and thanks for the debate. Always fun.

• 56 Jib // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Mike Williamson
    Gabriel Obertan
    Sylvain Marveaux
    Steven Taylor
    Rob Elliot

All the above players have less than a year on their contracts.
    I think Taylor and Marveaux have an outside chance of extensions.
    The rest will probably be allowed to become free agents next June.

• 57 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Daragh….That was you? Didn’t go down too well 🙂

The lad certainly had potential. Not sure I could go along with him actually being a great player mind.

BandB…If you just stick to the chorus though…

• 58 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Dyer was almost a great player. Just physically not able to live up to his potential. When he left us he gave in to his lifestyle and rode out contracts.

• 59 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM

BandB has a dishwasher. I do envy the privileged. I have to contend with Squezy and Fairy. But let’s talk about Welsh and Jeff later…..

• 60 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Fairy Liquid.?
    We have to make do with Lidl home brand.

• 61 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Bandb to be fair I lied I haven’t seen a genuine anything since Lidl and Aldi first invaded our shores. People talk about Mars bars and McCoy’s crisps and I haven’t a clue what they are 🙂

• 62 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Well, that’s not a touch on Mercadona home brand. Top stuff and a bargain too!

• 63 John Tudor // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:45 PM

thats nowt rubbing them in the river with plants

• 64 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Hmm it’s good to share our bargain brand anecdotes. I’d steer clear of the Finkbrau though that stuff tastes like fairy er whatever you call it…Gleam? Daisy? …. liquid and it will take the top off your dining table.

• 65 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:48 PM

You meet a better class of impoverished aristocrat in Aldi, Tsunki.

• 66 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Aye Ibiza spends hours trawling through Hiperdino of a weekend dontcha?

• 67 DaraghL // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Ibiza –

I think it comes down to me using great informally. I don’t mean he was one of the great but when injury free I loved watching him play,.

• 68 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM

BandB ah! So you’ve seen me in my top hat, cane, donkey jacket and Hi-tec trainers! Pip pip old blancmange! Care for an Ersatz Pimms hwah hwah?

• 69 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:52 PM

It’s a great place to bump into all the retired and semi-retired makers and shakers you once had to spend months trying to get an interview with.

• 70 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Tsunki…Hiperdino? We have a Hipercentro if that helps? Which also has a Bricocentro. Beautiful stuff. But nowhere near as thrilling as a trip to Mercadona.

Puts Lidl to shame really. Right, that settles it. I’m off to the supermarket.

• 71 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Daragh…An informal great can be a dangerous thing. Proceed with great caution.

• 72 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:54 PM

How the mighty have fallen, eh? Yes it’s the collision of pretence with reality, a great leveller is Aldi. 🙂

• 73 DaraghL // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Hiperdino? Hipercentro? Bricocentro?

Are these the centre backs the Football Manager lovers are linking us with?

• 74 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Get me a bottle of that €2 white would you sweetie? The stuff that removes chest hair from the inside.

• 75 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Or pushes it out there if you don’t have any…

• 76 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 1:57 PM

I don’t know why they don’t take photographs of them all and hang them over the check-outs, like they do in those London greasy spoons beloved of celebs…. “Here’s Norman Vaughan scoffing a sausage with his thumb stuck up.”

• 77 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Ha ha yes the celebs who buy their Crusti Crocs here ! Fill your trolley Jordan -Tonight we’re gonna party like it’s £9.99 !

• 78 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM

I personally apologise for being responsible for lowering the blog into the cut price supermarket bog. Feel free to carry on talking about nufc and football related nonsense 🙂

• 79 Graeme // Sep 3, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Tsunki – it looks like you killed the blog mate lol

• 80 BandB // Sep 3, 2015 at 3:34 PM

I think he bravely took the honours to save my blushes.
    I’m bottom again now.
    That has to be worth an hour of sulking:)

• 81 beefman13 // Sep 3, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Good old chunki, the Fred West of the blog.

• 82 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Graeme no no really it was nothing. I used to do this for a living. Me and nufc786 could wipe this place out on transfer deadline day once upon a time 🙂

Beefy – Fred West? 😐

• 83 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Of course! it’s international injury week no wonder this place is winding down. Here was I thinking my old wizardry skills had returned and its just natural causes. Not even a spate of Charlie Austin articles can rev this baby up now.

• 84 lesh // Sep 3, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Glad to hear you’ve been vigilant – you are the upholder of standards so you have a very important role on the island. Keep it up;

Am I pleased with the way the Club’s gone or going?

I’m short, yes after all we seem to have a good coaching team in place and made some pretty astute signings.

Yes, the defence needs more attention and I’m confident that McClaren’s had a lot of input into prioritising buys. He’s assessed the squad and concluded that the defence could (barring injuries etc) see us through until Christmas when it should be strengthened

A lot of folk are suggesting we should’ve spent more on more players but McC knows that have a lot of new faces coming in would make it tricky to build a cohesive team in a short time.

Ashley and Charnley are getting some stick, understandably, but let’s look forward. They’ve acknowledged the folly of not talking to fans and while Charnley’s recent statement (no doubt scripted by the media lot) says a lot, he’s really ought to make it a habit. Although McC seems to know the value of fans and communication with the public at large. In fact, I think he’s given Ashley and Charnley the benefit of his accumulated and wide football knowledge. Long may he continue.

To summarise all of that, yes, I believe we’re seeing the basis of a platform to build on over the next couple of seasons.

We’re not going to win the World Club Cup, but at least we should be biting at the ankles of the ManUs, Citehs and Arsenals of the world in a few years.

I hope that fans see the benefit of recent changes and remain patient.

In the meantime, carry on with the good work.

previous post: It’s Hard With 10 Men – We Have To Be Careful