Newcastle Transfers – Clever Signings For Not Much Money

The EPLindex web-site has ranked every team as being above, in line with, or below expectations for the summer transfer window.

Newcastle are one of the four clubs in line with expectations along with the two Manchester clubs and newly promoted Watford.

steve mcclaren jack colback man united

Steve McClaren – canny motivational skills

This is what the site has said about Newcastle’s transfer business:

“Though Steve McClaren has made improvements at Newcastle United, it’s not enough to propel the Magpies to a position where they can challenge the very best, as owner Mike Ashley claims to want.”

“Nonetheless, some clever signings for not very much money, allied to McClaren’s canny motivational skills, have made a real difference year-on-year with what we saw last season.”

For not very much money?

Newcastle were second in the table of net spend to Manchester City, who spent around £60M, assuming it was £45.8M, although Lee Charnley last night said it was £52.6M in net spend.

As far as Newcastle’s fans are concerned, they seem fairly happy with the business that has been conducted over the summer.

Are You Satisfied With This Transfer Window?

Loading ... Loading ...

In the same poll carried out last year the results were almost the exact opposite – so at least fans at the moment seem fairly upbeat with what the club is trying to do.

The goals for this season are to win one of the cups, and to finish in the top eight of the Premier League.

Can you imagine what we’d all be feeling like next May if we can really achieve that?

What do you think?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Good morning Ed.

£50m by our standards seems a lot of money, but considering our lack of investment over previous seasons, if you felt so inclined, you could call the start of some catch up.

“it’s not enough to propel the Magpies to a position where they can challenge the very best, as owner Mike Ashley claims to want.”

Just the first window though.

As for targets. Is that a serious target for this season? Not knocking the aim, we should always aim high, but what if we came say 15th and got kicked out in the 1/4’s this season – what then? Is there any real relevance to our target, or is it more we’ll try on all fronts and do the best we can?

• hibbit

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM

can we still take loan players or did that close at the same time

• John Tudor

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM

not enough even to stand still
    you will be found out

• John Tudor

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:24 AM

out of contracts dregs that no one wants even

• lesh

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Gday Ibiza

You back on to continue the fray you left when you went to peeps last night? You must like pi$$ing against the wind!

How’s the bikini season been this year? Can we assume you’ve been discretely monitoring the quality to ensure it meets the exceptionally high standards required by a discerning eye?

Enjoy what’s left of the season!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Satisfied we spent so much but baffled as to why the defence wasn’t shaken up completely. So I voted yes on the pc and no on my phone

• Ibizatoon

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Lesh…No, just had some remaining drizzle to shake off.

Aye, discrete has been the order of business over here. A fine season has been had, or should I say, is being had.

Are you pleased with the direction of the club at present?

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM

50 million spent on 4 quality signings & a youth player. A def, att mid, winger & striker. How can i grumble with that when I wasn’t expecting even half that to be spent

• WWSBRD

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Satisfied? I really don’t know it’s a start but for me the club should of done more this window, should of taken the hit on a few players we have and brought in their replacements rather than wait but baby steps I suppose

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Begining of season I was expecting fatty to hogg on to his money again & break another promise. Most I was expecting was a defender & striker brought in. A window like what pardew would get. 50 million does me nicely

• toonbrother

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM

We could have upgraded our squad massively by sacking colocinni
    and it won’t have cost us a dime!
    Glad to have Mitro, Chancel, Gigi and thauvin but to be honest, We did not need them
    At the end of last season all we needed was a
    1. a Sound defence – Sack Colo
    2. a competent manager that could get the best out of our vast array of attacking talent: Marveaux, Cabella, Sissoko, Dejong, Perez, Cisse, Riviere, Arrons and Ameobi

For me the transfer window was a failure because Colo is still here.
    We are still a condemned side with him embedded in the starting11

• Bobbybee

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Thought the article last night about Cathro sorting out the defence was interesting. He certainly has made a massive difference already, considering the fact that he’s only had one new member of the back four to work with. Haidarra seems to be getting back to how he was before McMannaman nearly broke him in two – that one described by Whelan and Martinez as just a good solid tackle I recall. I would’ve argued for another defender, but it’s too late for that now so he can only work with what he’s got. The lad appears to be something of a genius.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:30 AM

toonbrother

just for a moment I thought you weren’t going to mention Colo and then none of us would be any the wiser as to how you truly feel about him. lol.

On another note hope perez gets mitro’s place for the next 3 games. Perez is a class act with none of nitro’s obvious character flaws.

perez is that berahino type player who will make clever runs and the movement will be far more fluid. starting to really regret getting nitro now. Hope I’m proved wrong.

• headtheball

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Anyone old enough to remember Bobby Vee, not the new imposter.
    Rubberball, The night has a thousand eyes and my favourite, ( The Ode to Ashley )
    Take good care of my football team,
    Be just as kind as you can be
    And if you should discovIT
    That you don’t really loveIT
    Just send my football team back home to me.

• magscar

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Bobbybee

All successful teams these days are built on being hard to beat ( KK might have changed that way back in 1995/96 but we came up short and rest is history). Cathcart has indeed worked wonders with what most on here thought were worse than useless. Part of how he has done so is to get the team working as a defensive unit. As some have pointed out one of the problems was lack of cover in midfield which left back 4 exposed by runners. In tightening up and exacerbated by indiscipline the attacking side of our game in Pl is yet to flourish and surely needs time.

I get the Rome jokes but surely if the club was in such disarray as most agreed then given a complete overhaul of management and coaches, partial re-stocking of players, difficulty in shifting those not required , need to begin to re-engage with a disenchanted crowd then it is going to take time and there is no getting away from it. The journey can only start from where we now are and not from the point at which where some would like us to have been and refuse to budge.

• BandB

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Magscar,

I agree with almost all of that.
    Things will take time.
    What amuses me is that the high priests of the New World Order are exactly the same people who wouldn’t here a wrong word said about the Old World Order.
    They are proclaiming that the kingdom of heaven is suddenly upon us and that the cost of entry is to prostrate oneself at the alter of Ashley, right NOW.
    Meanwhile they get on with the real business of trying to settle scores with the people always saw that the club needed to conduct itself differently.
    All obsequiousness and no play makes the blog a dull boy.

• Bobbybee

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM

I take it that was aimed at me lol. So now I’m pro Ashley am I? I’m neither marra, I don’t give him a second thought except on here. I didn’t like the old Ashley, but I can see where he has changed because I’m not obsessed with him. I believe I’ve repeated this, but some people just can’t get it. I’m a football fan, not a politician. I don’t care who owns the club, they’re all the same. Always have been if you bother to check. If Ashley is now investing in the club, why should that bother me? About time too. Just because I don’t wallow in the past, grieving how Ashley has plotted against us all, doesn’t make me like the guy. I don’t know him, I can’t pass judgement. I don’t give him much thought. I’ve got a life. If he’s putting money into buying players, why should I not be happy? Now read this slowly – all I care about is the football team. Nothing more. Things are finally moving in the right direction and I for one intend to enjoy it. If you would rather stay in the past, ripping your hair out about the things Ashley got very badly wrong – fine by me. Things he has actually admitted he got wrong and taken the blame for. I’m moving on, but nobody is asking you to do so. And if you think I’m an Ashley lover – lmao! Do I care? Does your opinion impinge on any aspect of my life? God forbid it ever would. I don’t even know you, why would I care? Wallow away to your hearts content, it means nothing to me.

• BandB

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Bobbybee,

The blog’s not all all about you, you know 🙂

And I have no problems with your opinions. I am sure they are strongly held.

It’s your constant belly-aching about everyone who doesn’t share them that makes you such a hypocrite.

• magscar

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:06 PM

BandB

I remain a self proclaimed stoic and am enjoying the first shoots of recovery but have been around too long not to be wary of what Autumn and Winter frost can bring. Not stopping me looking forward this season though as things have a more permanent look about them than for some years and I believe we may have some in reserve to build and stock a greenhouse to protect those shoots. Sorry for gardening metaphor after the travel one just the way my mind is working this morning.

Boobybee

Unlike some I find your chirpiness of last few months an antidote to the misery on here but then I am also a glass half full bloke so I would wouldn’t I.

• BandB

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM

You couldn’t really get a cigarette paper between my views on the club and those so elegantly expressed by Lil.
    The difference is only that I have been in conflict with the High Priests of Ashley and he hasn’t.
    I can’t think of anyone on here who hasn’t expressed an opinion I’ve agreed with, and I will often say so.
    So if you had the impression that you had the heretics on the run, I hope you think again. I’m not going to be told what to think by anyone.

• BandB

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:14 PM

magscar

I have enjoyed reading your take on things. Some credit is due. The window was better than I thought, but not better than I thought we needed. I think we may have not so much the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning, but maybe the beginning of the beginning.

• John Tudor

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:18 PM

end of the end even

• OneAlanShearer

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM

The ominous this game in the latest email / statement from the club is the mentioning of building through the numerous windows ahead…They have never specifically said they will be the next 3 windows…I suspect it will only be the summer windows we specifically spend in. This summer for me is a missed opportunity. All clubs will need to spend more and larger fees to sign players with the new tv deal ahead. We should have spent on a new centre back left back and right back competing a deep lying playmaker / dm. A top quality striker.

All is far from lost but the gaps are still there and the new lads must gel very quickly. Hopefully schteve can get that all important win under his belt in the league and continue in the cups as far as possible.

Good luck to the lads …All the prep is over now…time to deliver.

• Bobbybee

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM

BandB. If somebody asks me something, or takes a dig, I respond. The purpose of a blog surely? I have my opinions and express them as such. I don’t make sweeping statements, such as ‘we’ll never spend that amount on one player’. Or, ‘anybody who believes Ashley won’t sell players to recoup is a delusional idiot’ – as has been heard on here repeatedly. I have my opinions and give them substance, rather than screaming abuse at people. I put up counter argument, which is surely the point? If people can’t reply with a decent point, that’s not my problem. I’ve never once said I am right. I always say imo. That’s all any of us have – an opinion. There’s many on here I think haven’t a scooby, but I still respect that opinion. I discuss a point for a while, but if both parties can’t agree, I always use my favourite ‘agree to disagree’ and move on. Life’s too short to bear grudges. Especially with people you don’t even know 🙂

• John Tudor

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM

i defer to agree to disagree whole heartedly

• magscar

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM

BandB

I don’t want to get into rehashing old discussions as to why we ended up where we were ( as I am sure you don’t) so I will simply wholeheartedly agree that we are at the beginning of the beginning. Now how long will that phase last and are we allowed to pause to take stock or must we drive on regardless to make up for all that lost ground – was never easy being a Toon fan 🙂

Must get off for a while probably back on later

• BandB

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Bobby,

Well those are still opinions, sweeping or not. It’s not really where I am.
    Asserting that the defence has been sorted out and players transformed is also an opinion, sweepingly stated.
    Mine is that has been wrapped in a double envelope of midfield players, at the cost of us having a 25-yard toehold on the playing surface while ceding the rest to the opposition…much as magscar states.

• Bobbybee

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Why magscar, how very nice of you old chap! 😉 All I’ve ever wanted is a team that challenges. I don’t care who provides that team – including Ashley. I simply do not care. There’s been a massive improvement in the feeling around SJP this season – a feeling of rebirth and building a new team. I love it and intend to enjoy it whilst it lasts – being fully aware of how it can all change very quickly. I’m just a realist mate. Nothing will change overnight, so why expect it to? Only disappointment down that alley. I will continue to be upbeat until it goes tits up – if it does. 🙂

• John Tudor

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM

and the results so far have satisfied your lust for improvement

• BandB

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM

“Nothing will change overnight, so why expect it to?”

I think that’s the difference between us encapsulated in a sentence.

I agree that nothing will change overnight. Which is why I won’t be declaring myself sated with contentment, but keeping up the momentum for progress and change.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM

It’s a no brainer to sell Dummett to Palace for £8m and sign Raphael Guerriero for £9m. He’s quality. Dummett is useless.

• hibbit

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:39 PM

bobby not sure thats true in the milburn stand a lot around me still its been a mistake not buy cb

• OneAlanShearer

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Bloody predictive text…

That meant to say ‘thing’ not ‘this game’.

• Bobbybee

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM

BandB, sadly, defending deep deinitely comes about with ten men on the field. I’m not saying the garden is rosy, we’ve got a long way to go before that. I see this as just the start of a journey, nowhere near the finished product. I would like to see Gini pushed back a bit, so he can bring the ball out of defence. I think Colback and Anita are too alike to play together which is why our attacks stall. Again, just my opinion, but one I think makes sense. If we had Gini breaking at pace and De Jong linking the play, I think we could break on teams with real power and make them think twice about swarming forward. We can’t change things until January, so I see little point in worrying about something we simply can’t change. Cathro appears to be working a minor miracle with the defensive options he’s got and deserves credit for it. I see a change – one that was badly needed. I am an optimist, therefore hope for the best. I think there is a genuine light at the end of a long, dark tunnel and I want to enjoy it whilst it lasts 🙂

• Tsunki

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Well £52m could be a lot of money, spent in the scheme of regular maintenance of a challenging club. But what we have had is a landlord who has been content to defer maintenance while pocketing the rent. Only when the house is dilapidated and in danger of subsiding does he condescend to putting his hand in his pocket and yes, it’s a hefty bill I’m afraid, should have just maintained the place properly. Let’s hope our landlord has learned his painful lesson, and that he’s put a good maintenance plans in place. But let’s not overlook it is the same guy.

• andrew84

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:43 PM

My early season thoughts are pretty concise:

We have played Southampton, Swansea, Man United and Arsenal.

In previous years we have shipped goals against each of these teams as if they are going out of fashion.

This season we have conceded a total of 5 goals – two of these games were played with 10 men for the majority of the game.

That’s enough evidence for me to say that we’ve already made huge progress.

Add that to the £50million on new players and the overhaul of the coaching/management setup and I wouldn’t have dreamed that we’d have done so well. Maybe I’m just easily pleased but I like to think we’re turning the corner.

• jimmysmith

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Dummett worth every penny of 8 mill, considering Wales are now ranked ninth in the world, and England tenth. Sell! Sell! Sell!

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I’d value him at £2m. I suppose he can play centre back and left back and plays for a poor Wales team, but to get £8m for him is just a joke.

I reckon we could get £10m for Obertan

• BandB

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Bobby,

I want to enjoy it too, but not fatalistically, “while it lasts.”
    We will have a small squad, and the scope for harvesting a player for the Christmas dinner table at the expense of the rest of the season is no longer an option.
    I want to see is building and developing a team for success that does last, rather than see us behaving like we were a market garden.
    There’s work to be done, sunshine or showers.
    I would call THAT optimism.

• Fostino