The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We’ll Get This Team Winning As Quickly As Possible

10:36 pm, Thursday, September 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Newcastle’s next game is a week on Monday at West Ham, and it follows the International break so when we do kick off in London it will be 16 days since we went down 1-0 at home to Arsenal and had Aleksandar Mitrovic sent off.

These breaks are always a worry for head coaches because they have their best players away on International duty and they can come back injured, which is happened a number of times with our Newcastle players.

steve mcclaren dancing on the touchline northampton

Steve McClaren – dancing on the touchline against Northampton
Were we really that good?

McClaren and his coaching team will have time with the players left to do some coaching and Florian Thauvin can get a lot of practice in with those free kicks and corners.

The 22 year-old Frenchman will be our dead ball specialist this season – which is one reason he was brought in by Steve McClaren.

Steve was asked about the International break and this is how he responded:

“We want to keep playing, because that’s when I learn. The games are the test.” “We want to get this team winning as quickly as possible.”

“At the present moment, we’ve got good experience in people like Colo and Steven Taylor.”

“You always need experience, and then the youth can give you exuberance. It’s just about getting the balance right.”

West Ham had a good 3-0 win at Anfield on Saturday, and started the season with a rather sensational 2-0 win at the Emirates.

But in their two home league games they have gone down 4-3 to Bournemouth and 2-1 to Leicester – so it looks like they are a better road side at the moment.

A win at Upton Park will be a welcome 3 points for Newcastle, and will help calm the nerves of Newcastle supporters – who are hoping we can make a better start than we did last season.

Last season we got only 4 points from our first 7 games,  and the Sack-Pardew crowd was formed, and to this day they have remained anonymous.

It will be interesting to see how well Newcastle have done after seven league games, with games at West Ham, and at home to Watford and Chelsea coming up.

Tags: International News · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 bettyswallocks // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Jail……quite right , and that’s how it should be. We are still waiting to see at the moment.

• 3 Munster Mag // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Bobby, you keep doing what you’re doing mate. Its time to support the club. I was one of those who said we HAD to boycott, in order to drive change. Perhaps easy for me from Ireland, but i would have been on the streets. I wanted us firstly to boycott that Hull game on TV a few years ago, to show the world that Geordies and NUFC fans could mobilise and not have the mickey taken out of them by a rich owner who wanted to change the name of the ground etc. I found that utterly outrageous and could not believe that Geordies would sell their ground name for 4mill a year ( a new Gouffy every year – great !! ) and put up with it. And there were plenty of fans who were fully relaxed about it. Believe me , ground name changes do stick – Lansdowne Road is i think one of the oldest rugby grounds in the world. Its now called the Aviva – period. I was disgusted with the fairly pointless Wonga move. All that said, I have to say, there does seem to be noticeable change, and I think people should be big enough to say so. I got pissed off at the start of the summer with a hundred different moaners on here screaming ” we havent bought X , Y or Z , we are a disgraaaace etc. It was non stop. As you and i have said, the change now is that Ashley spoke and said things would change. This was denied on here by many, and then we got rid of Carver ( many including me were certain that he would assist Steve Mc ) who said nothing much would change. But we dumped him at some expense. We then sign one of the best players from one of the most famous football countries in the world, and get better coaches and some more good players. We cant have expected more. We cannot expect a club like NUFC to go and spend 70-80 mill in a transfer window. And we sold no-one of note – although many said we would. Ashley kept his word – now he has to do it again. I have said publicly on here that I think he will and NUFC has a different vibe to me. I may not be a Geordie, but am a fan since i was about 7, and supported NUFC in Ireland when to do so was to be laughed at. I have travelled all over England watching the Toon, on my own and ( once i discovered them ) the London Supporters Club. From Man U to to Millwall, Port Vale to Peterboro, i have supported NUFC and would do it again in a heartbeat. I do think we are not going to do all that great this season – lower half i think – but we are on an upwards trajectory. Yes, lets watch Ashley like a hawk, but this , to me, is a different situation to 5 yrs ago – probably driven by fear of relegation and the Sky dosh, – but still a different situation. HTL

• 4 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:46 PM

We have a good record V Mourinho SJP as he has never won here lets hope Macca can keep that up

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:53 PM

I hear you brother !

• 6 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:56 PM

“The ‘Sack Pardew’ crowd were anonymous” ?

Not on here they weren’t 😀

• 7 Munster Mag // Sep 3, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Tsunki, I dont mind a bit of suspicion, but when Ashley clearly does things a lot differently – in a better way – there is still scepticism and fellas thinking that blokes who are feeling definitively better about the clubs administration and ambition levels are naive. I dont think i’m being naive here. For whatever reasons, Fats said there would be change, and there has been. If I or anyone had said at the start of the summer that we would be one of the bigger net spenders in European football I would have been sent to the psych’s couch. There is deffo loads more to do, but getting another, say, 3 players might not have worked. Spurs got a pile of new players after Bale and it didnt work.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Who isn’t supporting the club, and shall we get in to a debate on what supporting really means ?

• 9 bettyswallocks // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:03 PM

We are all supporters who want a winning team.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM

You have been one of Ashleys biggest critics, please tell me you never fell for one of those young Jehovas that looks like her off of Banshee !

• 11 EllaGuru // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Here we go again. Ed having sly digs at the Pardew Out campaign.
    The campaign was warranted, and justifiable. Results and performances were not up to expectations and therefore the fans demanded action.
    Presumably Ed has had experience operating in a results oriented business and therefore can appreciate this

previous post: Newcastle Fans Choose Best Signing Of The Summer