The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Joey Barton – It’s Fantastic Business For Newcastle

1:33 pm, Friday, September 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 147 Comments

Joey Barton certainly seems to think that French U21 International Florian Thauvin is a good buy for Newcastle.

The 22-year-old was one of four senior players who Newcastle signed in the summer for what Lee Charnley has said was £52.6M in net transfer fees.

Florian was signed for around £14.5M from Marseilles.

florian thauvin after socring first goal against Northampton

Florian Thauvin – an exceptional young player

In his first start for Newcastle against Northampton Town in the League Cup tie last week,  the Frenchman scored after just three minutes, and he then brilliantly set up the next three goals in Newcastle’s 4-1 win.

This is what Barton has told BT Sport:

“I think it is a fantastic bit of business for Newcastle to get Remy Cabella out and get Florian Thauvin in.” “Thauvin is the next big thing in French football.”

“It didn’t quite materialize for him at Marseille – the fans turned on him a little bit – because I don’t think he lived up to what they thought he could be.”

“This club, Newcastle, is a great place for him to show his talent.”  “I think he’s an exceptional young player.”

Joey Barton signed for us in the summer of 2007,  at around the same time that Mike Ashley bought the club, when Sam Allardyce had just been appointed as the new manage to replace the sacked Glenn Roeder.

The midfielder stayed on Tyneside for four years until the summer of 2011, when he signed a very lucrative contract with QPR, after Newcastle didn’t want any fee for him, even though he had one year left on his contract.

Joey has signed on at Burnley now, but it seems that when he finally hangs his boots up – he will have a good career in the media, where he will continue to make news – just like he’s done throughout  his football career.

And he’s never been short of opinions either.

We hope Thauvin is a great hit at Newcastle, and it’s a decent likelihood.

It would also be good if Joey can help Burnley come straight back into the Premier League next May.

Tags: Contracts · Florian Thauvin · Joey Barton · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

147 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 1:45 PM

I agree Joey!

• 2 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Mentions of CL by the owner and £150M spend by the board are enough to justify fans’ increased expectations. Such words should never be used if they’re not relevant to the conversation. You don’t mention to your kids “mountain bikes”, “mobile phones” and “Christmas” in the same sentence, if you intend to deliver walnuts and satsumas. They may not be worded in terms of promises but that doesn’t matter. There is no doubt what the owner and the board want the fans to believe. They can’t turn around and say “check the small print” without incurring mass rancour.

• 3 hibbit // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM

blackley…. TANGERINE

• 4 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Did Barton play with Thauvin? Or was that after he left OM?

• 5 mindshaft // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Oh I dunno, I remember my mum hinting that I was gonna get a chopper bike for xmas and was thinking “get in”
    I ended up getting a cheap imitation Subbuteo – gutted wasn’t the word

• 6 mindshaft // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:04 PM

especially after I’d told all my mates I was getting a chopper – oh how they laughed and took p!55 out of me

• 7 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Not that I’m buying any of the utterances that come from the club. I won’t believe promises until I see them delivered.

Besides, spending £150m isn’t necessarily a good thing. Theres no guarantee it wont be wasted. If the club is moving cautiously, its got to be welcomed. It pays to be prudent.

I certainly wouldn’t be trusting Carr with big money and so it’s a smart move by Ashley to have Makro on the Board. Before anything else, it would be worth spending a few millions in bolstering the recruitment team.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM

You’ve already accused me of altering quotes so that they don’t fit in with what you want to believe, and I never said you claimed we’ll win the CL, I was should pointing out that in Mashers interview the clever use of the buzzword Champions League had some of the more.. how should I say, gullible fans thinking that it was a new target.

• 9 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Subitteo has to be better than Hibbit’s tangerine.

Seriously though Mindshaft, that has to be one of the saddest tales ever told on this blog. How old were you by the way? 25?

• 10 beermonkey // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM

there is more to this than just money spent

next window is jan hopefully we will be more or less safe buy then if were doing well and certain players playing well will we sell and settle for survival ?
    also I cant see the club spending 50mill in jan
    for me I would bring in chancel’s future partner so they can adjust and get ready to phase out colo for the next season and a back up right back

• 11 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM

B&B, you’re right there, failure to deliver now would be suicide by Ashley and all the evidence – not what I think, or you think, or anybody else thinks – points to massive change. It’s like people saying they only want a club that tries, and everybody agreeing with it, then changing and demanding a club that wins things – it dilutes the point. I might be wrong, but as he ever made claims before? I’ve only ever heard him speak twice I reckon, in eight years. He now has stated aims and targets and needs to be seen to be trying to achieve those targets, which, to be fair, he appears to be doing. It is a massive sea change, but the evidence supports it. The irony of the most hated man in the clubs history – apparently – being the one to lead us to a trophy will sum up the topsy turvy life of NUFC perfectly – should it happen. I see more chance of that right now, than I have since at least Sir Bobby’s time. Why my hopes and dreams should cause anybody else to get upset, is beyond my comprehension. Mine is a counter ballance to some depressing feelings expressed on here, nothing more.

• 12 Belfast // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Those Ian Wright comments where in the sun on Monday I think ? Rehashed for some reason.

The bloke hates us because of the Pardew thing.

Pardews first game at Palace was away to Dover on Bt and Ian Wright starts ranting about Pardew being abused in the street any time he left his house. It was a blatant lie and Pardew even confirmed this did not happen.

He’s slagged us off constantly in his opinion piece in the Sun, even suggesting we deserved to go down last season for hounding his best pal “super al” out.

His latest ramblings show what a complete and utter mug he is.

• 13 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Fail, so right, let me get this right. ‘People like me’ as you said, doesn’t actually mean me? Silly of me to make such an error. How could I have been so… gullible?

• 14 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM

I don’t know how big the scouting network is but I do see NUFC scouts at youth games. They’re usually old duffers who turn up for ten minutes to tick a box that deems a game has been covered. It looks amateurish.

• 15 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:32 PM

B&B, if that’s the case, then more money should be spent on upgrading the scouting system. I have to say, I haven’t a clue how it runs, other than Carr heads it. Maybe Carr could enlighten us in one of the club’s missives? Would be interesting to know.

• 16 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Andy Carroll is banging them in during training, check him out!

He better have a mare next monday!

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Yes, I did mean you, but I made no mention of winning the thing.

• 18 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Also the chronny is reporting we are not appealing Mitrovic’s red card.

• 19 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Belfast, the very idea that the FA should intervene about our hostility towards opponents and officials would be better suited for April 1st. What a muppet he is. It’s like some of the pundits on talk sport who openly dislike us because of precious Pardew. Good. Nothing like a siege mentality to pull everyone together. Nobody likes us, but we don’t care, is very apt just now. I listen to TS a lot and the times you hear them say we’re getting everything we deserve is amazing. We are the devil’s spawn to listen to them, not just fans starved of success. Dunno about you, but I’m not likely to lose any sleep about what they think about us. Their ignorance just amuses me 🙂

• 20 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Fail admits to lying – stop the press!! Aw, and now I’m going to be suicidal because some no mark dislikes me. Boo hoo. Be a man and say what you think, instead of being sneaky about it. Pretty much sums you up though – FALSE.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM

I listened to Danny Mills once and the lies he was telling were unreal, it didn’t help that the people ringing in were thick as mince mind.

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Fail are you sure you were ringing the right number?

• 23 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:52 PM

We could carry this on all day, but I’m getting bored now. 🙂

• 24 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Bobby…Before you do stop though, can you point out what Jail lied about and then admitted to?

Can’t see it.

Nice to see the conversation has moved on from yesterday though.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Sep 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Have you taken leave of your senses ? Where have I admitted to lying ?

• 26 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:04 PM

Fail, start at eight and work down. First you claim you didn’t mean me, then admit you did. Can’t have it both ways. Don’t worry, I expect you to get muddled up, I can live with it. I’m sure there’s a medical reason for it that they can cure should you seek help. Probably just the Ashley fixation taking its toll – it was always on the cards.

• 27 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM

• 28 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Ibiza, to be honest, I’m not really paying much attention, just having a bit of banter. He bites so easily, I find it hard to resist. Having given it out for so long, I was curious how he would take it. Not too well apparently. Anyway, like I said, I’m getting bored now. Next!

• 29 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Ibiza, not the most flattering photo, but at least we now know what you look like. Good post.

• 30 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Bobby…I see. You might want to pay a little more attention mind – I think you’ve again grabbed the wrong end of a stick. Bit unfortunate whilst trying to call someone else fail.

Please don’t think i’m taking sides. I did note the miss-spelling of your name too (Naughty Jail).

All he’s denied is that he said that you said we’d win the CL. That wasn’t the case and all he clarified as far as I can see.

Anyway, moving on, do we not have actual disucssions to be had, rather than simply just trying to wind each other up? Seems pretty school yard, wouldn’t you agree?

Did you get a chance to read my response last night?

• 31 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM

It also explains quite a lot too. Never thought you might have taken too many?

• 32 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM

Bobby…If only. It would be a fine improvement.

• 33 Jib // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:17 PM

“Please don’t think i’m taking sides.”

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

• 34 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:18 PM

End of what stick? Explain, I’m all ears.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Jib…Good day there. Would you like some big boy blocks to play with? Good lad.

Bobby…Is this more of your “banter” or do you really need me to explain which stick?

• 36 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Is there anyone on here u dont call names?

• 37 Jib // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Loads of people including your goodself 😉

• 38 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Blog meltdown!

I think i’v took a wrong turn? Is this not the footy blog still? Lol.

• 39 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM

I have certainly been called names by u

Football blog? Not sure anymore myself lets drag it back eh? How many goals do u think England will put past San Marino, double digits?

• 40 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:35 PM

for the record, I hate int’l week.. this place goes to hell in a handbasket..

• 41 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:37 PM

as Saint Tuff would say:

jane…. oooooot
    multiple aliases… oooooot

• 42 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Lets have a guess, im going to go 8! Are you going for double digits?

Surprised McClaren hasn’t appealed the red card because he said he was of they could. Guess they don’t want to risk him missing a further game.

• 43 Jib // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM

I have corrected your many errors but never actually called you names .
    Why just yesterday you completely forgot the €17 millon plus €3 million bonuses we paid for Florian Thauvin !

• 44 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Yo…Is the England game tomorrow? Double digits sounds good.

• 45 Jib // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Why does an Irish American support NUFC ?

• 46 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Aye stuff it why not am going with 11 and a Marino red card

On the appeal not sure there is a point in doing it, never going to be over turned

• 47 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Prodigy…I seem to recall he came out shortly after that statement and said he wasn’t sure if they would and that he would be reviewing it.

• 48 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:45 PM

No dear the story goes like this u were slating someone for saying there would be no more large outlays after Gini, Mitro and Mbemba, I stated that he was right in saying that, u brought up Thuavin, I asked if u had forgotten the details of that deal (my point being Caeblla went in the other direction so realistically there wasnt a large outlay because the club recouped a lot of the money from Cabellas eventual sale) so not a large outlay

Is indeed mate, 5pm UK time I think, we normally stick atleast 5 past them if I recall correctly (though if am not Jib can correct another one of my many mistakes) so its about time we started taking them seriously and stick 10+ past them

• 49 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:46 PM

I dont have a right to choose who I support?

• 50 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Why not. Im going to put a cheeky fiver each on 8 and 11 see if my lucks in.

I must of missed that, I can only remember his interview after the game. It is a bit risky like, they could give him the extra game ban if they deem it necessary. I’v got faith in Cisse wanting his spot back, maybe see another worldy against Chelsea! Would be nice.

• 51 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Haha I bet the odds still arent that good even at that level of score

• 52 Jib // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:55 PM

You clearly do have that right.
    I wasn’t questioning your support merely interested how we caught your attention.
    For example I will always support the Redskins because John Riggins caught my attention (I love warrior sportsmen) – I have never been to Washington DC.

• 53 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Im going to have a look now!

• 54 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM

What happens if they decide they don’t want Cabella, for reasons like our own? Thauvin has been signed at considerable cost, because we’ve paid cash. We might recoup some of that IF they decide to buy, but that’s far away in the future and so far, they’ve paid zilch. The deal was we buy – with cash – Thauvin and they take Cabella on loan with AN OPTION to buy. Not quite a swap deal, is it?

• 55 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Betfred have 12-1 for 8-0.

It won’t let me look past 9-0. 18-1 for that.

I’v got this, I can feel it in me bones!

• 56 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM

Yo….5? 10? No big difference 🙂

We’ve done well in the group, would be good to add a thrashing in there.

Mind, when it comes down to it, will it make any difference come tournament time?

Prodigy…I think it might have been the following day. I think it’s best to let it go. Give the lad a chance to have a think and try again soon. Be good for Cisse, as you say.

Dok…You should be honoured. At least you’re being asked rather than having assumptions thrown at you.

• 57 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM

The ins and outs of the deal make it almost a certainty due to the clauses in it

Haha not bad odds that

• 58 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Further to my last post, just check the outgoing and incomings. We PAID 15 mil for Thauvin, but there’s nothing in the incomings re Cabella. They ain’t bought him yet, they merely have the option to buy.

• 59 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Here we gan again with Sissoko! Apparantly he’s off to Chelsea in January.

• 60 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Haha pointless game all round really but get to see some England goals I suppose

We always tend to do well in the groups but ur right the tournament is where we will no doubt fall down but there are a daft amount of teams in this one so we will potentially do alrtight…still expect zee Germans to spank us though

• 61 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Bobby…It isn’t that far away, why a year is jusy 2 windows away….our re-build will be almost perfected by then 🙂

A bit of banter.

I believe you are correct, it isn’t a done deal at this stage and could stay as a cost to the club with Cabella returning at seasons end. He’d be like a new signing!

• 62 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:15 PM

when I moved back to nyc in 97, I had friends who were English, and would go to a local pub in the Bronx, where they would open early, and show prem matches… a lot were manure fans, a few were of the Chelsea variety and other clubs… one guy was in the corner, watching a 13” tv, drinking a brown ale.. I sat with him, and my 1st reaction, was, holy sh!t, that stadium is loud… also found that brown ale is quite delicious, and so, I watched the match, and saw shearer the 1st time, rest is history, ive never supported any other club…

my hatred of manure, has been well documented on this blog, as well, lol..

• 63 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Wwrsb. The fact remains that we bought Thauvin for 15 mil. OM have given us nothing for Cabella yet and would be perfectly within their rights to decide against signing him. IF they sign him, that money will be on either January’s incoming cash, or next summers. If they don’t sign him, because he performs like he did here, they won’t be stumping up one penny for him. Therefore, our outlay is still 15 million and incoming is still nowt. We pay cash up front remember, so that money, regardless of whether they decide to buy Cabella or not, has been paid. The possible incomings from Cabella isn’t quoted in any mention of transfer dealings, or our net spend would be less. If he breaks his leg, will they still want him? We MAY get something back on Cabella, but we may well not. I can’t see any misunderstanding.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Yo…It wouldn’t be international footy without us getting spanked by ze Germans.

Interesting about the clauses on the Cabella deal. I’d have thought there must be a way in which it wouldn’t automatically go through, or it’s basically a sale with staggered payments?

• 65 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Dok, you ain’t alone there marra – everyone except manure fans hate manure. It’s just so natural 🙂

• 66 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM

The loan deal was a sweetener in signing Thauvin. If Cabella falls flat on his backside – as is his wont on a football pitch – they’re not obliged to buy him. If he’s awesome, then they have first dibs at a set price. Nowt is set in stone.

• 67 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM

That said, as they seem to believe they’ve got the better deal – snigger – why would they not buy him?

• 68 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Bobby…Is this anything like Jail admitting to lying?

Sorry, more banter. It’s catching.

Seriously though, does anyone have any links to info on the deal, or said clauses (yo)? It’d be interesting to know what the criteria to his move being permanent is, and what the agreed figure is. Maybe something to do with number of games played during the loan?

• 69 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Are there any clauses in the deal if he plays so many games?
    I don’t know the ins and out about this loan agreement?

• 70 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Actually the money for Cabella will most likely never be acknowledged much the same as MYM and Santon thier income was ignored. The outlay is off set by Cabella leaving that’s how the club sees it. As I said the clauses in the deal make it pretty much guaranteed Cabella will be signing for OM

Yeah it’s true…is it bad that I enjoy zee Germans far more than our lad

Cabella deal is pretty much a sale but built so OM don’t have to pay till next season because of their money issues by all accounts. He plays a low amount of games and they have to buy him, NUFC made sure of it hence the long hold up from what I’ve heard

• 71 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM

I seem to recall Mbiwa had a clause in if he played so many games like.

Dear me, this has turned into an expensive read, I’v ended up spending a small fortune on betfred, betting on all the Euro games tonight aswell now haha!

Im away to kip, nightshift later. Catch yas in a bit.

• 72 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM

No, fail said he wasn’t talking about me – then admitted he was when it suited him. Just a white lie, but all good fun. 🙂 I might be wrong, but I think – think – the loan deal with an option to buy is just that, without complications. Otherwise we wouldn’t have coughed up 15m cash. Is it 7.5 if they decide to buy? Something like that, possibly even less. Jib, giz a hand marra, you’ll know or can find out quickly.

• 73 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Bobby…I took your advice and read back form post 8 (from memory now – could be wrong) and don’t think that’s what was said. Hence my comment about the wrong end of the stick.

Not hugely important, but I’d want to know if i had taken an incorrect turn somewhere down the line. Just confuses matters.

I agree with you on Thauvin. We have paid for him, that money has been spent. We may well recoup it, but haven’t yet.

The new discussion (for me, anyway) is more about what chances of that there are.

By the way, did you read Munsters post on boycotts last night? He also gave you a good cheer.

He touched on a really interesting point for me, one I hadn’t. I’d be interested to know your thoughts on his post and whether they’re quite as insulting as you found mine?

• 74 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Sorry, didn’t see you up there Yo.

Bad? No. A shame? Yes 🙂 I know where you’re coming from.

On Cabella, it’d be interesting to know. I do half remember reading that too, but it could have been on here…where I’ve also read the opposite.

Do you remember when you could come on here and get reliable info? No, me neither.

• 75 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:47 PM

On the Thauvin / Cabella discussion. Financially speaking we haven’t recouped from outgoings, but it is worth noting that in theory, we did weaken the first team squad by letting Cabella go, Thauvin is his replacement, rather than an addition.

Seems a good move from what I’ve seen however, and I was not really anti-Cabella.

• 76 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Triple post. Best go get a drink or something…

• 77 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:48 PM

WWRSB i think the Santon money is in this seasons incoming cash, as is Mbiwa’s. It is on lists I’ve seen. Ashley works on a cash only basis, so we have actually paid 15m up front. If all goes to plan, they will pay us the agreed money next time around. All I’m saying is that the money we paid for Thauvin has been factored in, but any likely income from Cabella hasn’t, meaning our net spend doesn’t account for Cabella, who is still, technically our player. Love to see the lawyers go to work if he suffers a career ending injury whilst on loan!! 🙂 Anyone any idea how that would unfold? I suspect we would lose out at first, then recoup on insurance – although I imagine all loopholes would be thoroughly examined! Anyone remember anything similar happening in the past?

• 78 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Might be a way of classifying it tbh, for me I don’t see that as the club making a large out lay knowing they are going to get more than half that back within a year. Nar reliable info never exists on here haha

I read it on quite a few papers who reported on the Cabella side of the deal and have heard it from people whom I trust hence my belief in it, saying that am not really fussed if people believe it or me tbh however I don’t agree that Thauvin represents a large outlay to the club and Jib was using it to bash another on his hitlist so thought I’d join in the fun…really didn’t think it would become such a talking point if am honest I’d probably not of bothered had I forseen this

• 79 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 4:57 PM

On zee Germans I have a large amount of respect for how they sorted out their football when they saw troubles coming, England decided to ignore it and look where we are now

• 80 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Yo…Don’t you just hate it when that happens and you get that “Why did I bother” moment.

Still, it’s all part of the experience!

I get what you’re saying. Whilst I actually do admire the self sufficient approach, it was taken way too far when being told we simply couldn’t afford players, when we all knew that money would be arriving at seasons end with the TV payments (as other clubs did).

Not saying whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, the point more being that at the end of the day, it more or less comes out it in the wash.

• 81 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Ashley uses clauses as much as any club he just doesn’t spread the agreed fee over years, so we don’t actually know if 15mill was paid up front mate. Cabellas deal that brought him to use had payment clauses in it which we have ducked out of via this loan.

As I said it’s how u classify the deal for me it’s not really a large outlay as the club are recouping most of the outlay within the year due to the transfer…let’s move on shall we

• 82 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Yeah it’s normally where I just leave the blog for a bit but I am terribly bored at the moment haha

True mate Newcastle 18 richest club in the world (Jib Google check pending) couldn’t compete with recently promoted teams yeah something never say right there

Speaking of which I saw Mings is out for the season and Gradel out for a few months for Bournemouth that is very rough luck

• 83 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Yo…I’ve just started getting settled back in, it’s far too early to be talking of blog breaks 🙂

Boredom is a dangerous thing.

Did I read earlier that we currently have the 19th most expensive squad in the world?

• 84 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Just noticed the last bit of your post – Rough luck indeed. Have to say, I’d be happy to see us not top the injury list this season though.

• 85 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Ibiza, let it go eh? I have. My point on boycotts is only those who go to games can boycott, if they so choose. Munster does, his choice, fine. I don’t agree with them, because it spoils the feeling of togetherness and imo damages the clubs standing – and the ability to sell as well. People can boycott to their hearts content imo. It doesn’t affect me either way. I still go and always have and probably will, because it’s my money and NOBODY can tell me how to spend it. I don’t believe it had any effect on Ashley, his plans to spend were, according to Macca who I still trust, already long in place. Nobody will ever know the real truth, it’s all speculation. This is nowt personal, but I am offended by people saying I’m part of the problem, just for being a diehard fan. You were expecting me to give up my ST for something I don’t support, and because I don’t see it your way, I become part of the problem? You do realise the Ashley out campaign is a tiny minority? Unlike some, I have attended such gatherings to hear their viewpoint, I just don’t see it their way. The ones I went to were hugely advertised, yet no more than 3-400 turned up, counting kids and pets! Anybody with Sky is giving money to Ashley, or anybody who watches on sky related tv. Not sure how it works abroad. You want me to give up something i’ve loved doing all my life, to support a cause I don’t agree with? What are you giving up? Nothing is what. I’m a grown man who makes his own decisions and whether right or wrong, I stick by them. The majority of arguments I’ve heard pro boycott are so flawed they’re not even worth considering. Too many anti Ashley people have become anti Newcastle. The shirt thing speaks volumes. Wear a shirt that doesn’t show club badge? Why? I support NUFC, not some silly little talking shop. I WANT to wear the badge ffs, I’m proud of it. We are getting what we asked for and more. Times change, that’s life.

• 86 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Bobby…Before I read the whole post, let what go, the Jail or the boycott discussions? Or both?

• 87 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:26 PM

WWRSB, I already have. Read Charnley’s email, that might help.

• 88 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Yeah though regular breaks are often beneficial to ones mind

19th really? With all the holes in our squad that’s upsetting!

I do feel for them Mings turned us down to go to them (again from what I’ve heard) and gradel is a a real attacking threat for them big problems for their hope to stay up

• 89 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:31 PM

The fail thing, it’s irrelevant. Give it all up if you like, but you asked, so I’ve given my take on it. 🙂

• 90 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Trusting “Charnleys” email bar I will give that a miss. On a side note (I thought this was just a mess up of fingers but it’s the same every time) any reason why u have rebudded my blog moniker to wwrsb

• 91 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM

WWSBRD, no reason, just accidental. It is quite a mouthful! 🙂

• 92 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Really? Always found my name to be one of the easier ones

• 93 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:48 PM

I like DRBSWW, he was a class act…

• 94 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM

WWSBRD, probably because you use it without thinking. Amazing how many insist my name is bobbylee – but I know who they mean 🙂

• 95 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Dok, 😉

• 96 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Really? The douche got me moderated!

True this one is more difficult than my original WWJBD I concede that

• 97 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM

WWSBRD, actually, I’ve just noticed that when I put in WW, the rest appears on my bar, so I won’t get it wrong in the future 🙂 Loving Scotland showing their real quality against Georgia like.

• 98 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Bobby…I never really picked that up – Just thought I’d point out some wires had been crossed. Consider us moved on.

Did you read Munsters post?

You are indeed correct, SKY subscriptions are part of the problem to. Financially a bigger part. For effect though, out of all SKY subscribers, how many are Toon fans?

For me, when I became pro boyott is when the answer back was “it’ll never happen and we’re stuck with Ashley”. Dangerous mind set.

Whether one should use the weapons at there disposal is one question, but it seemed we were at a point where people truly believed we had no choice.

If anything, I think that has been proved incorrect.

I too don’t think the boycotts were totally behind the summer spend. We had to spend money this summer, hence why I’m waiting a bit longer to see what happens next.

Perhaps other areas to look at, to see if they had any effect, are things like communication and general bad feeling between club and fans. What made the club realise that was an issue?

I think it’s pretty unavoidable to credit the fan unrest with that one.

It was good for the club to know the fans can and will do something, just as it was good for the fans themselves. It may not have been a majority, but it was enough.

I didn’t raise the subject again to attack you, or defend my viewpoint. Munster touched on the issue of trying to gain some respect back and not simply take what is thrown at us.

I think for all round belief, it had a huge effect. Surely that’s a good thing.

• 99 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Haha it’s no bother really was just curious if it was something I was missing out on tbh

• 100 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Yo…Sorry mate, you might have to start taking this personally. I keep missing your posts.

Not sure if it’s true, I may have even misread it on here. I suppose outside of the PL, there are only generally a small collection of expensive teams in each league, so perhaps not too far fetched.

It doesn’t sit right though, be interesting to see the breakdown on it. Did they include wages for the NUFC squad like the board do (or is that a thing of the past too now?)?

• 101 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Well I shall try to avoid going off in a huff

It could be right, not sure how they would define it though because we haven’t spent that much so maybe it’s market value but then how do u define that!

• 102 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Yo…The easiest way would get Ed to do a poll. That’s how I go about answering lifes tricky questions.

WWEPS! (What would Ed’s Poll Say)

No huff? I shall have to try harder.

• 103 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:10 PM

SKY subscribers?

am I assuming in order to watch prem games, you guys have to pay for it in YOUR OWN country?

• 104 Jail for Ashley // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:11 PM

It was actually a typo the first time booby came up and I thought it was funny, you don’t obviously, I think you better get some optical advice from one of our readers as you don’t seem to be able to read posts properly

• 105 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Ibiza, problem solved then marra. 🙂 I don’t have any beef with boycotters. It’s their money and their choice – the wonders of a so called democracy I reckon. I think some have gone way over the top and are becoming more marginalised week by week. The shirt thing is just the straw that broke the camels back – it’s ludicrous. The thing that makes a shirt special is the badge, as many colours are similar. A black and white shirt is just that, but a b&w shirt with the Newcastle badge becomes a toon top. I haven’t seen one at the game yet, let’s put it that way. It’s simply not a Newcastle top is it?

• 106 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM

WWEPS sounds like what id say when I drop a cup on my foot

Only if u want to hurt me? -insert puppy dog eyes here-

• 107 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Fail, of course it was, if you say so. I find it midly amusing, but nowhere near as funny as fail. It suits you so well. 🙂

• 108 BandB // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:22 PM

I am warming to you bobbybee.
    I was wondering though, if you’d like to take a few moments to explain where you are coming from?

• 109 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Bobby…Ah yes, the shirt. I’ve always considered it to be an anti-Wonga logo move, rather than direct at Ashley.

Do I consider it a Newcastle top? Actually, I do. It’s a Newcastle United fans top. Not official, of course, but what it represents is as good as the real thing to me – without Wonga.

Of course different people will see it differently. I’m sure there are many out there who just don’t have an issue with the sponsorship as it’s just that, a sponsor.

As for seeing them at the game, come on now, stop with the banter. They only made what was it, a few hundred? Then there was the magpie issue. I don’t think the idea was to fill SJP with them.

One last thing on the boycotts. I think, with a bit more understanding and actual discussion at the time, it didn’t need to be so painful or drawn out. I don’t recall it being about boycotting indefinitely at first. Just about making an initial stand. You were insulted by people, like me, saying you’re part of the problem (i still maintain that, but hope I’ve explained my reasoning better). Some of the stuff thrown the other way was also well over the top and got worse and worse.

Lack of discussion and understanding is never good. As always, a two way street. I can’t speak for everyone, but I was up for discussion – I usually am.

Democracy is the only way. I do think people make it near on impossible to discuss certain things, because they’ve decided they’re not interested. Makes it hard.

Dok….Indeed. SKY is our satelite provider. You pay extra for the sports package. Now me, living in Spain, clearly I don’t have SKY. No sir, that would be most naughty. I don’t think it can even be done….

So, moving swiftly on.

• 110 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Good evening BandB.

Yo…Drop a lot of cups on your foot?

• 111 BandB // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Hello Ibiza.

Has the wind dropped over there?

• 112 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM

BandB…It did. Seems to be picking up again though. Thunder too.

Poor tourists.

• 113 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Alarmingly so least it’s better than knives I suppose

• 114 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Yo…You positive so and so 🙂

• 115 Ron Knee // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Will Nitro be playing this evening?

• 116 WWSBRD // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Haha I’ve never end been called that on here mate!

• 117 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:52 PM

BandB. I’ll do my best on that. Lifelong attending fan of 58 yrs age. When times really were bad, I still turned up loyally – or like a mug, depending on your viewpoint. Not politically motivated – except on politics of course. If they hung eleven black n white shirts up to dry at SJP, I’d probably still watch. Ashley’s a difficult subject, but had he not bought the club, I dread where we might be now, even though that grates a bit to say it. He had me bamboozled as to his running of the club and I actually reverted to conspiracy theories for a while 🙂 is he after that priceless cathedral on the hill, that sort of thing. Crazy i know, but I couldn’t see why he bought the club, just to mess it up. Now I’m thinking he’s like all of us – think we could run the club our way, without realising just how dificult it really is. That turned into disaster and i think he realised it just in time. He really did mess it up big style. I can’t logically imagine he would slap his tat all over a club he didn’t want to succeed, let’s put it that way, which makes understanding him really difficult. He failed his way, so now he’s changed tack completely. His projected team building will cost big time, but finally he appears to be allowing more knowledgeable people to help him out. If I’m right, we could be in for one hell of a ride, but despite the evidence clearly pointing to a massive change, only time will tell. After years of crap, I’m willing to wait and see if these new green shoots are the real thing, or just weeds. I don’t expect anybody else to see it my way, but that’s how I see it. It really is too early to tell for sure, but I am liking what I’m seeing. I am, by nature, a glass half full person. I hope that helps a bit. 🙂 i will be taking questions after the show is over lmao.

• 118 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM

thanks, as part of my cable subscription, I get all prem games free.. so I was wondering how that all worked….

if anyones in the neighborhood a week from Monday, I will be at home, watching the toon, cmon over.. but bring your own damn beer 🙂

• 119 SUTTY1978 // Sep 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM

I remember at one time on this blog that people were castigated as armchair fans if they didn’t go to the game. By the end of last season you were seen as the spawn of the devil if you did!
    I remember asking during the “height” of the boycotts last season how many supporters who said they were boycotting actually would have normally being going to the game. I distinctly remember that of the people who said they were actively boycotting that actual match there was only LR32 and maybe one other who had a ST and was actually giving up their seat for that game. The balance said they had actually given up going a couple of years ago, therefore were not really boycotting just spending their Saturday in the normal manner. I appreciated the choice of LR32 etc. thats their decision to make a stand, the others were doing nothing pro or anti the boycotts they were just doing nothing.
    I think that is why the views are sometimes so skewed on here. I’m not a ST holder, I don’t live close enough but if I did then I’d have one. I do get up to 5 or 6 games a year. If I’d have had tickets and arranged to come up for the weekend I certainly wouldn’t be giving them up to sit on my iPad and vent about Ashley & co.
    Everyone is entitled to do what they want with their own cash & time. I just thought that some of the vilification of match goers was as bad as the original hatred towards “armchair fans” who now make up >90% of the people who comment on here. I include myself in the armchair brigade for the most part so not having a pop!

• 120 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Well said sutty. This could turn into something like an AA meeting. Hello, my names Bobby and I’m addicted to the Toon 🙂

• 121 welshgeordie9 // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Regarding going to matches surely that’s up to the person, in my eyes you are still a supporter no matter what.

• 122 BandB // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM

I think “armchair fans” was probably Blackley’s way of getting back at the “scab” taunts.
    Those came from a handful of people, and certainly weren’t endorsed by me.
    I found myself at odds with one or two of the “usual suspects’ over it, even though I liked and respected them otherwise.
    I can’t remember a single ‘positive” person rallying round.
    Indeed, I’m pretty sure one or two have tarred me with that brush. Because it suits them to.

• 123 SUTTY1978 // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Welsh, absolutely, thats what i said, each to their own, you just shouldn’t be slated for actually going to watch the team we all support live.

• 124 SUTTY1978 // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM

BandB, the original “armchair thing I’m referring to is actually years ago, when this blog first fired up really. At the time it seemed to be heavily populated with matchgoers and it was somewhat tough going if you hadn’t seen the game with your own eyes. Cant remember specifics but there was a lot of armchair bashing in those days!

• 125 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Sutty…It’s funny, I don’t recall armchair fans being an issue on here until the latter part of last season.

Sure there was always one who’d pop up and have a go, which was usually one of the few times the blog would come together and tell them to do one.

• 126 SUTTY1978 // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:22 PM

On to football related matters, I really hope Thauvin does come good, I was fuming at the money we spent on him as I thought it should have been sent on a CB and I didn’t think he was good enough. I would be absolutely delighted for Joey B to be right and prove me 100% wrong.

• 127 Thump // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM

@Ibiza: Sutty is right, actually. Around the time Keegan walked it started creeping in, and then it went full force when we were in a relegation scrap.

It’s basically the same thing we have today: pro and anti regime, just with a slightly different lick of paint.

• 128 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Bobby…The blog does have a certain AA meeting feel about it. Always has really.

One thing has never been in doubt, most toon fans are nuts. I always find it amusing when people try to portray themselves as normal. You wouldn’t be on here if you were 🙂

• 129 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:28 PM

there’s always been an underlying current of not born in Newcastle, you’re not a true supporter… if you go/don’t go to matches, you’re not a true supporter…

I agree with welshie @ 121, 110%… holy fcuk … slaps head with hand… jk welshie

• 130 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Oooh welshie, a proper minefield that. 🙂 I think you can be an absolute fanatic and not attend games. I think the term supporter is more those who attend and support the team, but fans are fans regardless. It’s all terminology bollix innit really? The ùpshot is that we all follow the team in different ways and there’s more that unites us than divides us. We all want success for NUFC and celebrate our successes together. And I imagine we all sulk equally when we lose. 😉

• 131 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Thump…That’s fair enough. Not arrogant enough to think there wasn’t a nufcblog world before me…bet it was rubbish though 😉

All I can say is, on the whole, I found this blog to be extremeley welcoming. Mind, I do also remember anyone who wasn’t got a daffodil spanking too.

• 132 Jib // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM

01 Stojkovic
    04 Tomovic
    06 Ivanovic
    13 Spajic
    11 Kolarov
    15 Brasanac
    14 Matic
    18 Zivkovic
    22 Ljajic
    17 Kostic
    09 Mitrovic

• 133 BandB // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM

I thought for nearly 25 years that I was a toon addict.
    Clearly I was wrong.
    I am beginning to see that some people have the right temperament to proclaim themselves superfans, while others are blighted with a modicum of self-awareness.
    I admit I am green with both envy and shame, feeling the weight of the long shadow you cast.

• 134 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Dok…I agree with Welsh too. I do wonder whether moaners and whingers count though. Normally they don’t appear to be viewed the same as other supporters.

Perhaps I’m thick skinned. No, must be naive 🙂 I’ve always felt, in the majority, extremely welcomed by “real” Geordies.

The whole things a mess really. I’ve met born Geordies who support Sunderland. Now that’s the one I can’t get my head around. Why focus on people out of the area who love NUFC? Just bizarre.

• 135 welshgeordie9 // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:37 PM

What’s the world coming to when i get a few people agreeing with welshie.

Ha ha ha

You all know it makes sense to agree with me.

• 136 welshgeordie9 // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:37 PM

I better sit down i can’t take much more.

• 137 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Dok, my mate goes home and away and even abroad. He’s from Keighley and is a proper supporter through and through. I’d argue that with anybody. If you’re talking Geordie, then that’s another thing. Not all Geordies support the toon, to their eternal shame, but everywhere has its glory hunters – even Newcastle. Nobody can ever describe a toon fan – regardless of where they come from – of being a glory hunter, they do it for the love of the club obviously. If they are glory hunters – massive fail!!! 🙂

• 138 Ibizatoon // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Who’d have thought it. The key to stopping Welshie was to agree with him on mass!

It’d have been easier to get here if you’d just talked some sense earlier mate.

Anyway, I am clocking out. Ed doesn’t pay overtime anymore. Have fun.

• 139 BandB // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:42 PM

I’m afraid you’ve just become a comparative moderate Welshie.

You need to tool up a bit if you are to compete with the latest innovations in wind and p*ss.

• 140 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:44 PM

BandB, you are truly wicked. I have no idea how to take that 🙂

• 141 Jib // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Germany v Poland if thats yer thing

• 142 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Right, got to watch the game on my tablet because wor lass has just advised me – no more football tonight. She just doesn’t get it. Thank you again for the healthy debating, as always it was fun. No offence meant to anybody, even you jail, all good fun and banter. Later perchance? 🙂

• 143 welshgeordie9 // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Jelousy Will get you nowhere my friend.

• 144 Graeme // Sep 4, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Bobbybee @ 105, yes, you are correct, but I think you are missing the point there. I refuse to wear a shirt with our “Loan Shark” sponsors name on it, under any circumstances, so the alternative shirt is a great idea.

I have worn my “Brown Ale”shirt ever since, and will continue to do so until the loan shark is replaced.

If we qualify for Europe, I believe Ashley will have “SD” as the shirt sponsor as all the stadium advertising he has will have to be covered or removed as only the UEFA Sponsors are allowed in the ground. Putting SD on the shirt is the only way he can promote his tat shops!!!

• 145 loonie-toon // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Anybody watching mitro for Serbia on ss1 red button we’re r the fans and tbh thought mitro with all hype would b smashing this team right fair mmmm not a lot to shout about from him

• 146 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Can’t watch the game I wanted. So, graeme. I don’t miss the point, I’m not sure can say the same. The badge is what counts and nothing more. Nothing. No Toon badge and it’s a black and while shirt. And that’s that one is. Don’t like wonga, but brown ale is fine. You ain’t seen me on ten pints of it. Looney juice? Oh very much so. Not only dangerous to the drinker, but anyone who looks at me wrong too. And I’m a very placid person. Millions like me who won’t admit it. Come on, I could go on forever and you know it. What causes more damage? Looney juice, or taking out a loan? Don’t you see just a teeny bit of hypocrisy? No? Just me then? Anyway, don’t like wonga, we have any amount of replica shirts you can wear that also show the badge. Northern rock anybody? Still no hypocrisy? The badge mate. The badge. NUFC. Your club, remember? Onwards. He advertises his tat in lieu of interest. Is it any worse than emirites, built on repression, murder, relgious lunacy, the job lot. It’s his club after all, I can’t see that much of a problem – unless you have an agenda, and I don’t. To be honest, It’s all sanctimonious drivel in the real, cruel world to me. What matters to me is on that green rectangle. Look carefully and that’s a football pitch to play football on – the reason I go to SJP. I don’t give adverts a second glance, why would you? I skip through sky plus adverts too. We all do. That’s how important they are. Please graeme, just enjoy the football, it’s what really matters.

• 147 loonie-toon // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:58 PM

No surprise mitro just got a yellow lmao

previous post: If This Happens, Austin Will Not Be Joining Newcastle