The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sissoko Preferred Newcastle Stay This Summer – Here’s Why

8:01 pm, Friday, September 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

There’s a report in FootMercato today that Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham apparently made approaches to Newcastle to try to sign Moussa Sissoko this summer, although Tottenham were the only club to lodge a bid, which Newcastle turned down.

So at least we kept one of our best players, and in fact kept all the players we wanted to keep over the summer.

Moussa Sissoko portland Newcastle+United+v+Portland+XcWeK5g3Jz4l

Moussa Sissoko in action this season

The agent of Moussa (his uncle) has explained why he decided to stay at Newcastle over the summer despite some interest from bigger clubs:

“There are three English clubs who came to show interest during the transfer window. The reasons why Moussa did not leave are simple – Newcastle are counting on him.

“They did not intend to let  him go during this transfer window.”  “They want to keep him one more year. He had no inclination to join a club where he would receive potentially less time game.”

It looks like Moussa has learned from what happened to Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy who all left Newcastle to join bigger clubs – Chelsea, PSG and Arsenal respectively – and they ended up on the bench with little playing time.

Yohan Cabaye is now playing regularly at Crystal Palace, so he will have a good chance of making the French squad for the Euro 2016 tournament in France next summer.

Moussa will also play regularly for Newcastle this season, but it may be next summer when Newcastle may have to sell the player – as long as they get big bucks for him and we bring in a suitable and good replacement – we suppose that would be OK.

He will certainly not move in January as some reports are suggesting, because there’s still the danger he will not play regularly during the second half of the season at a  bigger club, and miss out Didier Deschamp’s French squad.

Apparently Tottenham made a bid that was turned down, and Newcastle are reported to want 23M for him, which is around £16M  – although with some of today’s transfer fees, that may be too low a price.

That would be even more true if Moussa has a really good season for Newcastle this term – which we hope he does.

But maybe the amount Newcastle are after is really £23, and one report has Spurs bidding  £17M for the Frenchman this summer – which Newcastle turned down.

Back in early June, when there were noises coming from clubs such as Liverpool, this is what Moussa told the Chronicle:

“As for my future, it’s something I think about. The coach Didier Deschamps said the 2015-2016 season will be very important and playing regularly is going to be important.”

“I’ll talk with my uncle, who is also my agent, and make the right decision after a holiday which I really need.”

But the main thing is Graham Carr and his team scout a replacement this season, and we bring one in over next summer – if we are to sell Moussa.

Really good players will get playing time at Newcastle – Yohan Cabaye is a good example of that – and once they move to bigger clubs they can struggle for playing time.

Moussa seems to realize that, and who knows he just may want to continue to ply his trade at Newcastle next seaosn, especially if we have a good season.

Tags: Contracts · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon fm Exeter // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Dont care what his uncle thinks or says as long as he puts a shift in each week and doesn’t go back to the limp performances that he was churning out back end of last season

• 2 jane // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:23 PM

ex Newcastle United player just scored for Faroe Islands. Faroe Islands aren’t bad.

• 3 will die for the toon army // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM

I can’t believe wat am seeing. We have a fully fit squad. Marvueax is coming back next week. As we await Good and Rivere.

Big up Mcca and Alessandro.

We need yo start attacking. Keep it up solid at the back.

• 4 toonicle // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:27 PM

We could try being smart for once and attempt to bring a replacement in january to start bedding them in the squad so we aren’t left scrambling next summer

• 5 banjax // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Maybe if we can finish the season in a European qualifying position, Sissoko will stay at NUFC. It looks like he values playing time over sitting on the bench hoping for a chance to play. Looking at Cabaye especially, a talented player who was not given a chance at PSG and now he’s at Crystal Palace – hardly what he’d planned. Newcastle are a big club and there are exciting times ahead and better players will flock to a club that shows the ambition that we are at the moment. But it will take hard work on and off the pitch and more points on the table before we get there. Here’s hoping !

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:32 PM

Well said Bobby @85 previous thread.

BandB is right. The recent armchair fans jibes were from me and for the reason BandB states.

I found it astonishing that those who don’t go to games, including those who have never been to one, could deride ST holders for not supporting boycotts. I saw it as showing a lack of understanding of the mentality of the majority of NUFC fans, people like you and me. The criticism appeared to come from young or non local fans.

Like you, I had no problem with anyone who wanted to boycott. It’s only when people attacked loyal ST holders for not joining in the campaign that I got stirred. A bit rich, isnt it? As you and Sutty say, how can anyone boycott anyway when they don’t go to games in the first place?

The brouhaha highlighted to me that the club means different things to different people, especially locals and non locals. That’s not to wish to put a wedge between locals and non locals because we’re all fans together. The more foreign fans the club can attract the better and I love to see people from all over the world coming to SJP to support the club or knowing that they’re cheering them on from foreign shores.

But I do recognise that some fans are better fans than me because they follow the club home and away. They follow and support the team wholly in the real world and so the club means more to them IMO. That’s not to belittle the fanship of those who follow the club in the virtual world (including me who watches away games on a livestream), it is just that it’s a different ball game. In many respects, it’s the difference between going down the pub and enjoying the craic and a pint with your mates, as against staying at home in front of the TV with some tinnies and watching the antics of your favourite soap characters in the Vic or the Rovers Return.

• 7 MidlandsMag // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:36 PM

They massacre whales

• 8 BandB // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:48 PM

I actually said your “armchair fans” campaign was a retort to the “scabs” remarks.
    That would have been justifiable, had it been aimed only at the handful of people making those remarks.
    But as you have pointed out, it was not.
    It would seem it was only a self-congratulatory effort to set yourself on a pedestal about other people who support the clu in their different ways.
    Isn’t that always the motive with you arrested-development types?
    It was, you explain

• 9 BandB // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:50 PM

But as you have pointed out, it was not.
    It would seem, by your clarifications. it was only a self-congratulatory effort to set yourself on a pedestal above other people who support the club in their different ways.
    Isn’t that always the motive with you arrested-development types?

• 10 Ron Knee // Sep 4, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Yellow card for Nitro.

• 11 jane // Sep 4, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Faroe Islands offered fans salmon against Greece.

the ex NUFC player who scored has been sent off.

• 12 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 4, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Got to say the German national team is probably my favourite side to watch play football .

Light years ahead of England .

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM

You appear to be conflating two issues. You’re too often ready to do that. I won’t contemplate your motives. As I’ve said before, I’m blind to the machinations you see lurking everywhere.

I making two separate points. The substantive one is that those who criticise the likes of Bobbybee demonstrate a complete lack of understanding. The separate point is speculation on why that should be.

As for putting myself on a pedestal, that may be something that concerns you. I wouldn’t waste my time. Nobody knows me on this blog. Besides, you’ve just demonstrated what is obvious to everyone. That sort of thing would never wash on here; there are no pedestalls and even if there were, there are plenty of folk like you who would delight in knocking them off. So I suggest you need to think again.

• 14 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 9:27 PM

B&B, I don’t see it as better fans, I think more committed maybe? Is that fair? Take Liam and John. Wow, that is total commitment. Unbelievable. Well more committed than me for sure! Would I be that committed if I could afford it? Sadly, I probably would. I’ll find out when I win the lottery 🙂 I imagine supporters who attend possibly feel more connected to the team – all in it together etc. Honestly, I can’t judge fairly because I’ve always gone to games. Fans from outside are always welcome – even visiting fans are afforded that much, so toon fans are very welcome. You hear all sort of accents at the game without really giving it a second thought. They’re just fans, regardless of where they live. Would we fill the ground without them? Most certainly not. All aboard. I do get miffed at being told I’m part of the problem and always will. Can’t help that and why would I? Bloody cheek 🙂 I tend to think, ‘would you have been one of us, when we were down to less than 10k and desperate?’ Probably not is the usual answer. It’s been so much worse – this is nowt 🙂

• 15 SUTTY1978 // Sep 4, 2015 at 9:37 PM

One of the great hypocrisies of this blog is the statement of:-

I won’t give a penny of my money to the fatman

How can we not compete with other clubs, we should have more money than them

• 16 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Bobbybee @ 14 Spot on.

There are too many on here who don’t get it. In all good conscience I can’t suddenly become a Huddersfield Town supporter tomorrow, which I’m entitled to do, never set foot in West Yorkshire, claim to be as good (committed) a supporter as Terriers ST holders, and then tell them they’re doing it all wrong. My god, you can’t live in many villages in this country without being treated as an interloper unless you’ve been there for 30 years or more.

People want to tell me I should act like a customer because that’s how it is these days. Supporting NUFC is not about modern day consumerism. If it were, I’d be a Man Utd supporter. So would most other people. There’d be no Huddersfield Town supporters if that’s what football fanship was about. Football would be finished without regional tribal loyalties.

• 17 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 9:50 PM

My ideal world. Ashley has kept all his promises and we’re up there fighting with the best. We’ve won a cup or two and gleefully chant ‘we’ve never won fcuk all’ at all those dicks who’ve bored us to death with it. All fans sit together and laugh about how they missed Ashley’s masterplan – how did we miss it? So sad that ffp grew a pair, resulting in manure, city and chelsea being relegated for blatant breech of rules. (Not that sad really though). And we’d still be arguing on here. Some things will never change 😉

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 4, 2015 at 10:01 PM

B&B. It’s a sensitive area. If you travel up from Nottingham every week, follow the toon home and away, i think you become naturalised by osmosis almost 🙂 my mate from Keighley never misses a game. He’s as loyal as any geordie I know. Geordies are friendly by nature, so they take people in. It’s fair to say it wasn’t always like that, but it was far more tribal back then. Times have changed, people move around more. I prefer it this way myself.

• 19 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 10:09 PM

More committed fans means better fans IMO. If it wasn’t for fans filling SJP, NUFC would be finished. Empty stadia would kill football dead. Armchair fans would have nothing to watch. If livestream fans decided to turn off, would it make any difference to the rest of us? Would it kill the game? It’s bad enough moving into a village and telling the local elders they’re dong it wrong and have been for years. It’s another thing again to criticise them from the other side of the world.

• 20 Belfast // Sep 4, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Blackley and Bobbybee aka Cannon and ball.

Will you two be replacing the normal blog act permanently? Bandb and Ibiza aka Keith Harris and Orville the duck?

Personally I think Keith and Orville have let standards slip lately and Cannon and Ball deserve a shot. 🙂

• 21 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Bobbybee @18 Spot on again. There’s no bar to anyone. Folk who make the effort to come are clearly very committed and invariably understand and respect the locals. But they will have pride in their own localities and so I find it difficult to see how they can share that element of the fanship, where the team, like your own accent, represents your home town.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Hahaha. Where is Ciaran these days anyway? You miss him? 😉

• 23 Belfast // Sep 4, 2015 at 10:29 PM

I’m not sure Blackley. The last I heard he was heading to the big smoke. Yeah I really miss the daily argument between you both haha

• 24 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 4, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Was there ever a more irksome little butterball than Ruddy?

previous post: Joey Barton – It’s Fantastic Business For Newcastle