The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – He’ll Soon Be Creating Chances And Scoring Goals

9:45 am, Saturday, September 5th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 65 Comments

The fourth player brough in by Steve McClaren this season was Florian Thauvin, although we were surprised that Remy Cabella was sent the other way on a season long loan deal with Marseille, and they have the option to buy the player for around £7M.

Apparently the decision on Cabella had already been made before Steve arrived at Newcastle in early June.

Florian Thauvin

Florian Thauvin when he arrived at Newcastle

Steve McClaren seems to be a good and thorough coach, and in the last two league games he had every single player giving 100% and the team looked organized against Manchester United and Arsenal.

We really should have got more than a solitary point out of those two games – but we didn’t.

Florian has already made three appearances for Newcastle and he has one goal and three assists that he picked up in the League Cup against Northampton Town.

So he’s made a decent start to his Newcastle career,  and he looks a good player who has a lot of skill, and is  good from dead ball situations.

Steve McClaren has been talking about his new player, and he was asked if Florian knew he would have to track back on defense:

“That was one of the first things I did say to him.” “It’s not just about playing with the ball, you have to do your job.”

“But he’s played under Marcelo Bielsa who is a demanding coach.” “He demands all of his players defend and work hard off the ball.”

“So he is used to that.” “It’s up to him now – but we certainly believe he’s got the potential.” “He has a great left foot and he is creative too.”

“But he’s still very young and playing for the French U-21s.” “He’s come here and he has a determined attitude to really do well.”

“We will play him in his best position, get him delivering crosses and assists and scoring goals.”

“We are all having to learn a little bit of French, just to communicate but certainly with the French players we have here I can say every player is working well here with a good attitude.

“It’s coming together well and helping Florian and all of the new players bedding in well.”

Thauvin could be on his way to being a really big player for the side, and he seems to be physical enough that he should be able to settle down fairly quickly.

One of the areas Newcastle have been weak in – as well as in defense – is in set plays – and that’s one area we are  hoping Florian can help make huge improvements in.

And the young Frenchman seems to be a hard worker and stays behind after the training sessions to practice on his free kicks and corners – it seems like he’s a perfectionist.

That’s a good sign – practice makes perfect.

Our next game at West Ham is an important one, and Newcastle will have to start picking up some wins, and to win we have to score some goals.

We haven’t scored in a league game since the first game against Southampton.

Florian will be a very important player for us this season, and we hope he can set up the chances with his crosses, corners and free kicks and score some goals too.

Doing all that at Upton Park a week on Monday would be (very) good.

Where Will Newcastle Finish This Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Florian Thauvin · League Cup · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

65 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUTTY1978 // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Repost….

I’d be quite happy with mid table but a marked improvement in the brand of football played, something to build on for our “long term project”. Still hoping this will come, all it’s been so far is

Start the game slowly
    Concede the initiative to the opponent
    Backs to the wall defending

The only change from last season is the lack of hoofball, however this means we are now gifting possession back in our own half rather than theirs!

I have more faith in the clubs ambition to do things the right way, just waiting for that to be transposed onto the pitch.

• 2 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:51 AM

The last thing the club needed was this international break .

Preseason everyone looking at the fixtures was thinking this break was just what would be needed , but it hasn’t turned out that way , we have lost crucial momentum , and the disruption to training schedules is a nightmare.

McClaren must be really frustrated.

• 3 lesh // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM

So Dummet’s injured now?

Hey ho, this is where not strengthening our defence in the summer window’s coming home to roost.

• 4 WWSBRD // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Feel for Dummett but if he was to be put in ahead of Haidara it’s a blessing in disguise. I think he’s poor at LB far better at CB, the team is setting up to have attack minded overlapping full backs and Dummett can’t do that

• 5 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I don’t like the international break either but we didn’t have any real positive momentum however you gild
    1. No shots on goal in 2 games
    2. Two losses
    3. Two draws

• 6 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Mbemba is playing tomorrow in Bangui 5000 miles away.
    The Central African Republic is a war zone ffs I hope he comes back safe .

• 7 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Angels not gilding anything.
    Can you not see an improvement since Swansea against Man U and Arsenal ?

• 8 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:22 AM

“We will play him in his best position”

That alone is refreshing to hear from a Newcastle manager for a change.

• 9 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Momentum? Haha. We had no momentum. More organised defending when backs were against the wall does not constitute momentum.

This break is frustrating, but it gives the team time to focus on areas we have been lacking in. Namely controlling the midfield much more effectively. Hopefully we start to see that in the next few (relatively) easier games.

• 10 Mister Tuff // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Bonjour mes amis. Checking in from near Carcassonne in France – last day of my fortnights holiday and back to a cold North East tomorrow.
    As previously suggested Ed’s poll should have had a further split between 10th and 17th as I would have been happier predicting a placement of between 12th and 17th position.
    On other matters I see Jib/Jeff is getting a bit cocky on the blog – and that he’s been Googling on the geographical front and has mentioned Bangui.
    Jib – you will have seen associated with Bangui the letters CAR – this does not refer to a type of automotive transport – as in a car called a Bangui – but it is an abbreviation for the Central African Republic.
    Speaking to a French Toon supporter the other night who was asking about Maccas bwave new world and what it meant. I told him I didn’t know despite asking to which he exclaimed with a Gallic shrug of the shoulders “Monsieur -who writes zeez shyte.”
    Anyway back home tomorrow.

• 11 catchy in norway // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:41 AM

I don’t listen to these people and pundits that claim teams like Man U will finish top 4 because they have spent big and have great squads, I think Man U have a crap defence , worse than ours , and they only really have Rodney up front , yes they do have some very good players but he has spent a lot of money on some strange players in my opinion. Liverpool look a very poor team, no forwards, an average MF , time has caught up with Southampton. Arsenal still want to pass it into the net , crap forwards. Chelsea will come good, Jose just needs to get past his melt down, man c look the real deal, the next best team ov seen is Swansea, they have been progressing since Monk took over, I see them top 4 this season, spuds have looked very random so far,

the thing I’m getting at is that these teams have the same coach as last season , our team is on a steep learning curve , they will get better .

• 12 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Well I lot a fire under Ian Toon, bobbybee and Jeff the groupie and didn’t even hang around to warm my *+se on it. Ho hum maybe next time. 🙂

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Lit a fire. The autocorrect vendetta continues.

• 14 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Tsunki
    Are you having a stroke ?

• 15 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Aahh the old autocorrect excuse 😉

• 16 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Was that meant to be strike, jeff?

• 17 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:06 AM

That’s taking some Googling that is. 🙂

Anyway my retort to all that is :-

Pardew was proven rubbish and hung around because it was good money and he has no pride.

Ashley is a proven shark, can’t be trusted, but I presently give him the benefit knowing he can revert to type in a click of the fingers.

The end.

• 18 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:15 AM

37Ian Toon // Sep 4, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Tsunki- I had to revert. You could argue that given Ashley’s lack of financial ambition that Pardew took us as far as he reasonably could. Pardew was “successful” at Newcastle. For me Cabaye was the most influential player in Pardew’s time particularly with the French contingent and his sale without a comparable replacement flawed our attempts to contest a top four spot. Some investment in the team at that time could well have had us kicking upwards instead of stagnating. But selling our best player in January and not replacing him sent out a message to the other players that the club lacked ambition.
    Furthermore, Pardew constantly withstood massive criticism and flack that should have been directed at Ashley. This did nothing to take his job of managing the players any easier. I would suggest this was the general outside nufc view of his time at the toon. Although clearly he remains an unpopular figure within our fan base.

For me It was no mean feat managing the toon. A club that for 60 years has not won a domestic pot to pee in. Mind losing to the mackems so often does stick in the craw.

• 19 bettyswallocks // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Shame we didn’t sign Austin. He would have banged a few in.

Ed. any updates on the chances of him signing in January?

• 20 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM

You can address the other half a dozen when you can find the time.
    Or are you going to treat me with disrespect ?

• 21 Belfast // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Cmon who voted for the top four ? Own up ! 🙂

• 22 Belfast // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I reckon 12th though an injury crisis on the scale of last season could throw a spanner in the works.

• 23 Belfast // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM

This is now an Austin free zone !

• 24 davetoon // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM

I thought Sissoko had a good game for France, sat fairly deep and used the ball well and did his share of the defensive work

• 25 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Belfast
    I did 😎
    I bet you aint surprised

• 26 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Belfast- Morning. We didn’t want Harris and Orville to dry up!

• 27 BandB // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM

What are you since Ibizatoon left the brat pack Belfats?
    Jilted John?

“She is a b*tch. He is a p*ff,
    Yeah Yeah! It’s not fair!”

• 28 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I thought the grouping was Me , Ian , Bobbybee , and Welshie which could make us the Marx bros. – I prefer more intellectual humour.

• 29 Bambams // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Boys there is such a mixture of feelings/beliefs on the blog these days.

Let’s just get to Christmas and see how we are doing. If not good, nitro not available, Thauvin not up to scratch or Mbemba struggling – we can then act in the window.

I for one will give Mac his ‘Three Windows ‘ and see where we are then.

SAF took five years before his first trophy.

Glass half Full

• 30 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Whoops Brenda’s back – lashing out at everyone with her handbag.

• 31 BandB // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Glass half full and glass half empty sums up this argument.
    To sides arguing over the same phenomenon.
    Supporting a football club is not a moral or ethical choice that makes you a better person .
    Honestly, it isn’t.

• 32 SUTTY1978 // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:11 PM

JIB

“Can you not see an improvement since Swansea against Man U and Arsenal ?”

Not really, no. Our only half decent premier league game was against Southampton and that was the first one. We barely got out of our own half against Man U or Arsenal so I’m not sure what massive improvement you are seeing. If it’s the throw yourself in front of the ball and hope for the best defending then we had that under Carver & Pardew.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Pompey, Caeser and Crassus will become forgotten men as the second triumvate of Ian Toon, Jib and welsh reign supreme !

• 34 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Certainly preferable to using ” arrested development type(s)” language to a fellow toon fan who probably thought you were just calling him a moron!

• 35 bettyswallocks // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM

BandB………. Good day to you, how’s yer fettle the day lass?

• 36 BandB // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Jib,

Can you remind me who you are again?
    Are you a friend of Bobbybee?

• 37 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Sutty
    You obviously learned your debating style off B and B.
    Nice little inclusion of the word “massive ” which I didn’t use.

With regard to the performances.

Each to their own I guess.

I was heartened (not massively note) by our performances away at Old Trafford and against Arsenal with 10 men for 78 minutes.

• 38 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:21 PM

No Ian you’re right the disrespect is probably to be avoided.

My post above really sums up how I feel about the points raised. I know Pardew was hamstrung but he was also happy to be on the payroll. He also managed to use the same team and tactics to get a run of wins and a series of dreadful losses, I think his win percentage and record setting are unassailable pointers to his inability. What he’s doing now may suit him to a tee, but in years of service here he couldn’t even get us to defend, something many league one teams accomplish against pl opposition.

As for Ashley he is what he is. I am wary. Like the Japanese greeting, I bow, but my gaze never leaves the recipient.

• 39 lesh // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Mr Tuff

You’ll find the weather a tad cooler than that you’ve enjoyed in Carcassonne – a lovely little place!

I thought the blog had been trouble free for a couple of weeks but now you’re on the way home……..

😉

• 40 lesh // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM

BandB

You must pay attention……

The only friend Jib has is Jane

• 41 lesh // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Bandb

Nearly forgot about Jeff (being a friend of Jib’s)

• 42 BandB // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:37 PM

lesh,

I would apologise to you and anyone else you has seen me being a bit more combative than usual over the past few days.
    I think almost all of us think the penny MIGHT have dropped with the club are and are hoping the see growing evidence of it.
    I don’t see many people at all trying to reduce it to a black and white, right and wrong argument.
    It’s not like we have all just witnessed a miracle with our own eyes, so I really don’t get the Repent Ye Sinners evangelism that is around.

• 43 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Tsunki- Happy to be on the payroll- he saw it as a means to eventually get back to doing something he/ and his family really wanted to do. The toon job came as a surprise when he sought advice from SAF- he was that desperate. We’ve had some right proper duffers manage us and he was somewhere in the middle for me.

• 44 bettyswallocks // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:55 PM

I think we are still at a wait and see stage and I for one am keeping an open mind with a bit of cautious optimism , until we see what impact the new set up has on the pitch.

If there is no improvement in playing style and results then we are entitled to let our feelings known. I think 10 – 12 games as suggested by Mc will show us where we are.

Ashley can’t affect the performance now the window is shut , so if his long overdue investment has not improved us then he deserves to be told in no uncertain terms.

The amount of the recent spend isn’t as important as the results it brings, as looking at some of the other teams transfer business is cringeworthy.

• 45 Belfast // Sep 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Oi Keith Harris keep it zipped.

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:02 PM

What on earth has SAF got to do with Alan Pardew and Newcastle United, where do you get this information, this same information that tells you when the exact moment that Ashley decided to spend 50M pounds. How can you be allowed to write this baloney unchecked.

• 47 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Belfast

Which way round is it ?

Does Brenda have her hand up Ibizagoons kilt ?

Oh no !!!!! I’ve just realised !

The reverse is unthinkable !!!!

• 48 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Fail for Ashley
    Calm down dear
    It is a matter of clear record that Pardew asked Fergy for advice.

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Jeff,
    What has Fergie got to do with Alan Pardew taking the job with us !

• 50 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Tsunki- I might well use your Japanese greeting! I think from Ashley’s perspective you can only really serve one master. Therefore Pardew’s notable successes over the years to last January were clear enough:

-the transfer policy that saw Newcastle sell their best players for a profit while keeping the plates spinning on the pitch. The cabaye sale and implications.
    -the Alanus mirabilis of 2011-12 when a depleted squad finished fifth in the Premier League; and at year’s end provided a consistent profit on the balance sheet.

I recognise that Pardew should not take anywhere near full credit for the above. Though equally our chief scout arguably impacted unfavourably on Pardew’s aims and ambitions, being driven by different objectives than getting the right players on the pitch. In the middle of which the manager looked no more than a capable motivator in a changing dressing room. Though I believe being a lightning rod for dissent that might otherwise have been directed towards Mr Big.

I watched Sunday Supplement where Pardew was being seriously discussed as a Jowls replacement. Stranger than fiction.

• 51 Belfast // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Bandb is obviously Keith but Orville (Ibiza) always steals the show.

Orville: I wish I could fly way up to the sky but I can’t,
    Keith: You can,
    Orville: I can’t!
    Orville: I wish I could see what folks see in me but I can’t,
    Keith: You can,
    Orville: I can’t!
    Keith: Look, Orville,
    Orville: Yes?
    Keith: Nothing that you can say
    Will change how I feel today:
    I know that we’ll never part;
    Now hear what I’m saying, Orville?
    Orville: Yes?
    Keith: Who is your very best friend?
    Orville: You are.
    Keith: I’m gonna help you mend your broken heart.
    Orville: Thank you.

Orville: I wish that I had a mummy and dad but I don’t,
    Keith: You don’t?
    Orville: I don’t!
    Orville: I often pretend my sadness will end but it won’t,
    Keith: It will,
    Orville: I won’t!
    Keith: Look, Orville,
    Orville: Yes?
    Keith: Now that I’m here with you,
    There’s nothing that you can’t do,
    So why don’t you make a start
    And hear what I’m saying, Orville?
    Orville: Yes?
    Keith: Who is your very best friend?
    Orville: You are.
    Keith: I’m gonna help you mend your broken heart.
    Orville: Ahhh…

Orville: So does this mean although I’m green
    And not exactly bright,
    You want to care and will be there
    To tuck me in at night?
    Keith: Well, I’ll always be there, Orville!

Orville: The other birds laugh and say that I’m daft and I am,
    Keith: You’re not!
    Orville: I am!
    Orville: They tease me a lot and call me a clot and I am,
    Keith: You’re not!
    Orville: I am!
    Keith: Look, Orville?
    Orville: Yes?
    Keith: Nothing that you can say
    Will change how I feel today:
    I know that we’ll never part;
    Now hear what I’m saying, Orville?
    Orville: Yes?
    Keith: Who is your very best friend?
    Orville: You are.
    Keith: I’m gonna help you mend your broken heart.

[Spoken]
    Orville: Thank you. ‘Cos I’ve got a broken heart, haven’t I?
    Keith: Yes, I know, but I’m going to help you mend it.
    Orville: You, you will do it, won’t you. You’ll help me?
    Keith: Of course.
    Orville: ‘Cos you love me, don’t you?
    Keith: We all love you, Orville.
    Orville: How, how, how much do you love me?
    Keith: Ooh… this much!
    Orville: As much as that?
    Keith: Yeah.
    Orville: Ahhh… my broken heart.

• 52 WWSBRD // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Friendly environment here today isn’t it?

• 53 Mister Tuff // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM

lesh – indeed -saw a weather report couple of days ago a lot colder back home. Carcassonne is excellent- the bastide, the old Cite, the Canal du Midi, the Black Mountains -went to the foothills of the Pyrenees yesterday -an excellent holiday overall – cracking weather – fully re-charged for the next year/.

• 54 Nufc-83 // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Anyone see the internationals? How did Sissokho play and in what position? How did mitro do?

• 55 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Fail
    I hope this helps

“But Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal
    the rival managers exchanged a frosty handshake at full-time but did not have their customary drink together in Ferguson’s room. Pardew, a long-standing admirer of his Old Trafford counterpart, has admitted that in the past he has sought out Ferguson’s advice, including whether to take the Newcastle job.”

• 56 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Nufc 83
    Mitro – goalless – yellow card for dissent

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Jeff,
    It helps a lot, I will now issue an apology to Ian Toon as he wasn’t spouting baloney on that occasion !

• 58 Mister Tuff // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM

lesh – trouble free blog -yeh right. Went to a medieval tournament last week within the walls of the old Cite – knights on horseback etc -the age old struggle of good against evil- new swordplay has been acquired – the good fight to put the charlatans to the sword on the blog will be re-commenced for God, Country, the Toon and the blog.

• 59 Sack Llambias // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Word from Mr. Tuff from his holiday home. Jail will post his 14.00( local time) message in due course.

Anyway back home tomorrow.

• 60 Nufc-83 // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Looking for a bit more detail jib 🙂

• 61 BandB // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM

And Ian’s right about Pardew.
    Getting any kind of tune out of a club with little backing is catnip to the England selectors.
    That’s why he always always keen to portray us as being on a par with Fulham and QPR.
    But for the lapses of taste he’s be odds-on.

• 62 expatmag // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Tuff

Your life is one big holiday, mate.

I fly in from Oz a week on Friday. Hope to be at the Watford game

• 63 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Nufc 83
    Armenia parked the bus (who can blame them in Belgrade) very few chances – the Armenians feigning injury make Arsenal look like the 300 facing the Persians – frustration spilled over.

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Sack Llambias,
    Could you please explain, or try to at least, the point of that post you just left.

• 65 lesh // Sep 5, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Mister Tuff

You didn’t refer to the excellent wines in that area – or maybe you’re abstemious

previous post: Where Will Newcastle Finish This Season?

next post: Thauvin’s Friend – He’s Very Happy At Newcastle