The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Where Will Newcastle Finish This Season?

8:55 am, Saturday, September 5th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Let us know where you think Newcastle will finish in the league table this season – our official goal is top eight.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – Newcastle head coach

Where Will Newcastle Finish This Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM

I’v went for 10th-17th.

If they recruit well in January it could be changed.

• 2 GEORDIE69 // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Well we have been playing the same defensive gambles for the last few seasons. We now have 1 RB 1 LB and 5 CDs with only 3 of them good enough to compete for our target. Good luck with that one McLaren! I suppose Dummett will be like a new signing when he returns.

• 3 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Loving the optimism of the vote for top 4!

Always a laugh on here!

• 4 Derek // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM

10th – 17th is such a broad range but I think the best we’ll get is 13th with the currently fit players.

However, if we see any further injuries particularly to Janmaat, Haidara, Mbemba, Wijnaldum, Colback, Anita, De Jong, Cisse or Krul we could well be on the road to relegation.

• 5 SUTTY1978 // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:23 AM

I went 10-17th but thats some spread, 10th would be seen as a good season, 17th seen as worst than the last disaster. It’s early days yet and really I have no idea.
    Don’t like McClaren always talking about needing to learn about the team. He’s come in as a well paid manager not an apprentice. It is his team, seems a bit of a lame thing to keep trotting out. Most managers come in and have a honeymoon period where everyone is playing above their level. McClaren seems to be playing it the opposite way and basically insisting we write off the first 10 games so that he can get his feet under the table. No time for that in the premier league i’m afraid Mc.

• 6 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:24 AM

10th -17th for me. 15th is my guess. Can’t see us really making up ground on the teams that finished above us last season. We might be better, but so will they. The signings look promising but we are coming off such a low base I can’t see a “transformation” as such happening. It’s going to be another arduous season I fear.

• 7 the truth will out // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM

bottom five if unlucky/lucky
    wont buy no one of note in january

• 8 Bambams // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Our position hinges massively on Mitrovic putting the ball in the net.
    I think we will create chances now and our defence is unrecognisable since last season.
    But we need goals

• 9 Derek // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

I get the feeling 10th – 17th is an option so the concluding article to this poll will be along the lines of “Most fans think Newcastle will finish mid table”.

• 10 the truth will out // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

nitros card is marked
    he will be lucky to finish half the games he starts

• 11 the truth will out // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM

goal return nitro will be lucky to get 10/15

• 12 Jib // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM

The club needs this international break like a hole in the head.

Preseason everyone looking at the fixtures was thinking this break was just what would be needed , but it hasn’t turned out that way , we have lost crucial momentum , and the disruption to training schedules is a nightmare.

McClaren must be really frustrated.

• 13 kimbo // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM

If we persist with Anita then 18th.

• 14 SUTTY1978 // Sep 5, 2015 at 9:49 AM

I’d be quite happy with mid table but a marked improvement in the brand of football played, something to build on for our “long term project”. Still hoping this will come, all it’s been so far is

Start the game slowly
    Concede the initiative to the opponent
    Backs to the wall defending

The only change from last season is the lack of hoofball, however this means we are now gifting possession back in our own half rather than theirs.

I have more faith in the clubs ambition to do things the right way, just waiting for that to be transposed onto the pitch.

• 15 catchy in norway // Sep 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM

I have went for 5-8

I don’t care what others think, I do believe we have a good squad, yes it’s thin in places, but i have seen a huge change in how we set up, confidence in players seems to be back,

I don’t listen to these people and pundits that claim teams like Man U will finish top 4 because they have spent big and have great squads, I think Man U have a crap defence , worse than ours , and they only really have Rodney up front , yes they do have some very good players but he has spent a lot of money on some strange players in my opinion. Liverpool look a very poor team, no forwards, an average MF , time has caught up with Southampton. Arsenal still want to pass it into the net , crap forwards. Chelsea will come good, Jose just needs to get past his melt down, man c look the real deal, the next best team ov seen is Swansea, they have been progressing since Monk took over, I see them top 4 this season, spuds have looked very random so far,

the thing I’m getting at is that these teams have the same coach as last season , our team is on a steep learning curve , they will get better .

• 16 martoon // Sep 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Hey Ed I’ve already done this in the blog predictions that you couldn’t be bothered to publish! 🙂

previous post: Pundit Predicts More Woe For Newcastle This Season