More Woe For Newcastle Players As Holland Hammered Again

Wijnaldum did not start for Holland against Turkey ion today’s Euro 21-06 qualifier but he came on int he second half with Turkey already winning, and Turkey went on to inflict the fourth defeat on Holland in their Group and they are now in 4th place.

It seems like it will now be very difficult for Holland to qualify for the finals in France next summer, with the Czech Republic winning 2-1 at Latvia and going head of the group with 18 points from 8 games – 11 points more than Holland.

holland players betean again

Dejected Holland players after being beaten 3-0

Iceland play Kazakhstan later tonight and they beat Holland 1-0 in Amsterdam three days ago .

Turkey scored after only 8 minutes when Oguzhan Ozyakup  latched onto a through ball from Arda Turan,  and chipped the ball nicely into the goal past Cillessen.

And then it was Arda Turan himself who doubled the lead after only 26 minutes, as he took the ball off a hesitant Daley Blind before beating goalkeeper Cillessen, who should have done better.

At half time new coach Danny Blind replaced Stefan de Vrij with Wijnaldum, and Holland tried to fight their way back but it Burak Yilmaz who added a third for Turkey after 85 minutes.

It looks like Iceland and the Czech Republic will get through being the top two of Group A and Turkey are now 2 points ahead of Holland with two games to play next month.

Holland must finish in 3rd place to have any chance of qualifying through the play-offs, and after their poor form over the last two games, they are in serious danger of not qualifying for Euro 2016.

They finished 3rd in the World Cup last summer in Brazil, and were easily one of the best teams in the tournament – how fortunes can change with a new coach.

Guus Hiddink took over from Louis van Gaal after the World Cup last summer, but he resigned in the summer after a poor string of results, and Danny Blind took over and games against Iceland and Turkey were his first two games in charge.

Steve McClaren will have Gini Wijnaldum, Tim Krul and Vurnon Anita to cheer up when they return to Newcastle, along with Daryl Janmaat, who was surprisingly left out of the squad.

Hopefully the Dutchman can taste what winning is all about a week tomorrow night at West Ham.

Note: A number of Newcastle fans organized by Callum Taylor are raising funds for the Refugees forced to leave war-torn countries like Syria. They will have some banners at the West Ham game.

See if you can support them at their pledge page here – thanks.

• GEORDIE69

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM

WWSBRD – Has your opinion changed on James Tavernier yet? I remember you saying that he was not good enough. Not looking to bad at the minute in the dodgy Scottish league. 6 goals and joint top scorer. Would be a good back up to Janmaat.

How is everybody doing so far in the Fantasy Football league? Aye safe to say that I am top of course!

• SUTTY1978

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Sneider was the problem, well past it. Also Danny should have dropped his son Daley instead of playing him in midfield. He’s a bit of a crap manager, they deserve not to go to the euro’s. At least it means our players wont get injured and we wont have weeks of speculation about who is going to buy them once the euro’s finish

• SUTTY1978

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Geordie, think he’s playing right of a front 3 in a 433 formation, so he’s not really a RB anymore. Moved further forward when he was previously on loan at Rotherham. Does look good though, he’s got a cracking free kick on him. Question is, if he was good enough to play for us then surely he would have moved to somewhere slightly less depressing than the Scottish championship?

• WWSBRD

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM

GEORDIE
    Not at all buddy. Not good enough for NUFC hence why he’s at, am guessing, Rangers?

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM

SUTTY/Geordie

I’m abseloutely delighted for Tav however he wasn’t good for prem football.

Seen him play few times, Vukic I have hardly seen so I can’t judge him. Unfortunately after the Adam Campbell years I don’t know many of the younger players as first hand as I did some.

• GEORDIE69

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM

SUTTY1978 I only watched the Hibs game when he played right back and looked solid.

WWSBRD I still think he would be a good back up to Janmaat. He is definitely not any worse than Dummett, Williamson, Taylor or Haidara.

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM

GEORDIE69

heard lots of people on here call haidaira for his defending (probably you aswell)

Taverniers biggest fault was his inability to defend, was decent on the ball but far worse than haidaira defending, in fact don’t think I ever saw him make a tackle.

I suppose you rated Danny Simpson aswell…

• SUTTY1978

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Haidara is quality, he seems to have a tag of being a poor player with some on here. If i had to give a player of the season so far it would be him, he has been by far and away the most consistent player and he will keep improving with a good run in the team.

Also i’m still adamant that Willo and Mbemba would be our best CB partnership, much like Willo & Mbiwa were the best previously.

• Belfast

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Ian a late reply.

Yes I do watch the fall. Me and my missus are big fans.

And yes I had realised it was filmed in Belfast pretty early on Haha

Some bad Belfast accents in there though. They need to work on that 🙂

• WWSBRD

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM

GEORDIE
    Nar he’s significantly worse than all of those imo

I’ve got no ill will towards him he’s just not a very good player

• SUTTY1978

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:11 PM

In all fairness i would prefer Tav on the right wing rather than Obertan!

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:12 PM

SUTTY

Wouldn’t go as far to say that he has been player of the season. (for me either Krul or Mbemba) However good to know we have another Haidaira fan.

WIlliamson would give us the much MUCH needed height however the man can’t play football and I would much prefer Coloccini in there for time being until we can a new centre back in.

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Hey maybe Tav should have been played further up the pitch, I know that he did use to be a Centre mid and was decent there too.

But you know football clubs and there need for changing a player’s position, Just ask wor Gouffran.

• Belfast

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM

The blue cafu! He looks very good to be fair. Basically playing as a winger at the minute though. Didn’t see yesterdays game but have watched him the previous few weeks on tv.

Still can’t believe no premier league clubs wanted Warburton.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM

@ The broons

I would disagree on Williamson’s height advantage .

The number of smaller players I have seen out jump him is embarrassing considering he is about 6’3 .

Add that to the fact he is awful on the ball means he should be nowhere near the team IMO . I know its early day’s but M’bemba looks 100 times better and he is still very young .

• WWSBRD

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM

I rate Haidara he is the only LB at the club for me

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Jeff,
    Unlike you, who is constantly being proved wrong, I don’t disappear for a few days and I’d hardly call issuing an apology to the baloney speaking Ian Toon as grovelling .

• Belfast

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM

He’s meant to be playing right back Sutty but Rangers having 70% possession has him far further up the field.

• SUTTY1978

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Broons, Colo can play football but is a shocking defender, know which ability I think is most important in a CB. Wouldn’t be any fun if everyone wanted exactly the same team though.
    I was maybe being a bit overzealous on the Haidara player of the season thing, Krul has been back to somewhere near his best and Mbemba does look a very good addition,
    Just hope the others can up their play to match and then we’ll be rocking

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Big pappa

I did actually say that if you read my whole paragraph.

SUTTY

I am not at all blinkered by Coloccini and Taylor’s good performances this season. I still know that them 2 and WIlliamson and in my opinion Dummet aren’t near good enough for premier league sides never mind one striving for the top half of the league.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:29 PM

@ broons

I was just making the point that his height isn’t even a benefit the majority of the time although we can agree he is an abysmal footballer .

• SUTTY1978

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Broons, yes lots of people do seem a bit blinkered as you say by 1 or 2 decent/lucky defensive performances.
    Taylor is a good defender when his is fit and gets a run of games, however that’s once in every four years! Certainly not a player you can rely on. Colo is Colo, gets outjumped by Anita and outpaced by Willo but we’re stuck with him. Happy to see how it develops, maybe its all in the coaching, after all that was Pardews department to look after wasnt it?!

• Ian Toon

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Belfast – Hello fella. Your never too late for me. You’ve been helpful. One last question.
    – Aside from the attraction of recognising places and buildings etc did you find it an authentic drama from your own/ or limited knowledge of the subject matter of the series.
    – Are you and missus ( you can confer) eagerly awaiting a new series ; if so would you prefer more emphasis on the police detection side or on the personality defect side portrayed
    by perpetrator(s). So I lied there were two questions but I got you interested – well didn’t I?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Actually out of curiosity for the people on tonight I would like to know their line-up for their own opinion of the most overrated toon players.
    Since us toon fans so often disagree on whos good and whos not.

I’m only young so I will put a lineup of players in my lifetime;
    Gk: Jack Alnwick- Was apparently thumping on Pardew’s door for game time.

Rb: Danny Simpson- Feel like I was the only one that realised how poor he actually was.

Cb: Marcelinho- Just remember him being injured all the time.

Cb: Williamson- Just pips Stevie Taylor.

Lb: Dummet- Might sound harsh but still think hes championship at best.

Rm: Geremi- forgot he was on the pitch until it was time to take a corner again.

Cm: Alan Smith- Seemed to do a lot of giving away fouls and not much else for me.

Cm: Nicky Butt- Liked him at Man U for certain, however was washed up and done by the time he came to us.

Lm: Duff- I think I can remember 1 good game from him in a cup match in his whole toon career.

St: Owen- yeah injuries rued him but so what, club record signing still to this day and was our biggest mistake.

St: Viduka- Another has been, looked like he had chronic knee disease.

Notice how many were from our relegation side.

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Would be interesting to hear other people’s opinions.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:40 PM

For me two of Collo’s major flaws are:

1) He is either very slow or just plain lazy .

2) He charges out of defence chasing players with the ball and leaving our backline a mess .

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Big Pappa

On number 2) you have listed, as a centre back I can sympathise with him in those situations. 9/10 time its the defensive midfielders not doing their job good enough. However I agree he does it far too often and leaves huge holes in the centre of defence.

It kinda makes me think even more that he could be a really good holding midfielder.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Belfast,
    Does it not freak you out ?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:52 PM

@ the broons

Yeah I agree .

I sometimes get the feeling he should have been playing there his whole career, as I don’t think he enjoys doing some of the defensive duties Centre Backs have to do like get stuck in and be good in the air .

He is brilliant on the ball mind you, and is one of the calmest I have seen in possession in the PL for a CB .

• WWSBRD

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:52 PM

broons
    Simmo, Alnwick and Williamson over rated? Personally I’d have 2 of them classed as rather underrated. I’d have Benny boy in the over rated section personally

• Belfast

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Bloody hell Ian are you writing a book on Spector? 🙂

Yes I’m looking forward to the new series.

Oh and the wife beating loyalist paramilitary was a classic. Jimmy? They got that bang on. Haha

I’ve met a right few eejits like him.

• Jib

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Big Pappa Cissé
    Do you see what a pr”ck you look when you post this:

“He is very slow and charges out of defence chasing players .”

F***king what !!!!

You are clearly some big fat American 200 lb couch potato who’s knowledge of footy (or soccer as you cretins call it) could be written on a rice grain.

• Belfast

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:01 PM

What Jail the fall?

Yes always sleep with the lights on afterwards 🙂

• Big Pappa Cissé

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:04 PM

@ Jib

Lived in the North east all my life m8 and I am currently 5’11 weighing in at 12 stone and play football regularly .

And If you think Collo is one of our faster players then you clearly don’t watch our games much .

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM

WWSBRD

Thats what I wanted to hear someone disagree with me, however no I think Danny Simpson was not much better than Tavernier in my opinon. couldn’t think of many keepers in my time and yeah Williamson has played a lot in a toon shirt when really he should never played even 1.

• SUTTY1978

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM

JIB, i’ve seen Colo do that loads of times, anyone watching NUFC for the past two years has seen that loads of times. You must have some very black & white tinted glasses on if you haven’t. Don’t think theres any need to have a breakdown over it.

• Ian Toon

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Belfast – Thanks much appreciated I knew you were the right person to ask.

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Jib

Pappa actually described rather accurately. Even against Man U where he was immense he started following Rooney to the middle of nowhere.

• the broons

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:09 PM

SUTTY

This is the thing I find so amusing, so many wide contrast views on our players.
    Some people love Coloccini, some people hate him.
    Same for Sissoko, Colback, Anita and Haidaira..

• WWSBRD

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM

broons
    Tbf am an easy bet for a disagreement, I get bored agreeing with people haha. I quite liked Simmo should of stayed and been back up to Debuchy for me, daft for the club to let him go…far better than Tav for me. Willo just suffers because of how often he has been first choice when he was brought in to be 3rd choice in the championship good back up CB on relatively low wages I’d get shot of Saylor before Williamson

As for Jak I just didn’t realise anyone rated him but I take ur point on GKs we tend to always have good ones…maybe Elliott but even he was alright for a time