The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

More Woe For Newcastle Players As Holland Hammered Again

7:25 pm, Sunday, September 6th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 115 Comments

Wijnaldum did not start for Holland against Turkey ion today’s Euro 21-06 qualifier but he came on int he second half with Turkey already winning, and Turkey went on to inflict the fourth defeat on Holland in their Group and they are now in 4th place.

It seems like it will now be very difficult for Holland to qualify for the finals in France next summer, with the Czech Republic winning 2-1 at Latvia and going head of the group with 18 points from 8 games – 11 points more than Holland.

holland players betean again

Dejected Holland players after being beaten 3-0

Iceland play Kazakhstan later tonight and they beat Holland 1-0 in Amsterdam three days ago .

Turkey scored after only 8 minutes when Oguzhan Ozyakup  latched onto a through ball from Arda Turan,  and chipped the ball nicely into the goal past Cillessen.

And then it was Arda Turan himself who doubled the lead after only 26 minutes, as he took the ball off a hesitant Daley Blind before beating goalkeeper Cillessen, who should have done better.

At half time new coach Danny Blind replaced Stefan de Vrij with Wijnaldum, and Holland tried to fight their way back but it Burak Yilmaz who added a third for Turkey after 85 minutes.

It looks like Iceland and the Czech Republic will get through being the top two of Group A and Turkey are now 2 points ahead of Holland with two games to play next month.

Holland must finish in 3rd place to have any chance of qualifying through the play-offs, and after their poor form over the last two games, they are in serious danger of not qualifying for Euro 2016.

They finished 3rd in the World Cup last summer in Brazil, and were easily one of the best teams in the tournament – how fortunes can change with a new coach.

Guus Hiddink took over from Louis van Gaal after the World Cup last summer, but he resigned in the summer after a poor string of results, and Danny Blind took over and games against Iceland and Turkey were his first two games in charge.

Steve McClaren will have Gini Wijnaldum, Tim Krul and Vurnon Anita to cheer up when they return to Newcastle, along with Daryl Janmaat, who was surprisingly left out of the squad.

Hopefully the Dutchman can taste what winning is all about a week tomorrow night at West Ham.

Note: A number of Newcastle fans organized by Callum Taylor are raising funds for the Refugees forced to leave war-torn countries like Syria. They will have some banners at the West Ham game.

See if you can support them at their pledge page here – thanks.

Tags: Daryl Janmaat · Euro 2016 · Georginio Wijnaldum · International News · Match Reports · Newcastle News · Tim Krul · Vurnon Anita

115 responses so far ↓

• 1 GEORDIE69 // Sep 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM

WWSBRD – Has your opinion changed on James Tavernier yet? I remember you saying that he was not good enough. Not looking to bad at the minute in the dodgy Scottish league. 6 goals and joint top scorer. Would be a good back up to Janmaat.

How is everybody doing so far in the Fantasy Football league? Aye safe to say that I am top of course!

• 2 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Sneider was the problem, well past it. Also Danny should have dropped his son Daley instead of playing him in midfield. He’s a bit of a crap manager, they deserve not to go to the euro’s. At least it means our players wont get injured and we wont have weeks of speculation about who is going to buy them once the euro’s finish

• 3 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Geordie, think he’s playing right of a front 3 in a 433 formation, so he’s not really a RB anymore. Moved further forward when he was previously on loan at Rotherham. Does look good though, he’s got a cracking free kick on him. Question is, if he was good enough to play for us then surely he would have moved to somewhere slightly less depressing than the Scottish championship?

• 4 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM

GEORDIE
    Not at all buddy. Not good enough for NUFC hence why he’s at, am guessing, Rangers?

• 5 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 7:51 PM

SUTTY/Geordie

I’m abseloutely delighted for Tav however he wasn’t good for prem football.

Seen him play few times, Vukic I have hardly seen so I can’t judge him. Unfortunately after the Adam Campbell years I don’t know many of the younger players as first hand as I did some.

• 6 GEORDIE69 // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM

SUTTY1978 I only watched the Hibs game when he played right back and looked solid.

WWSBRD I still think he would be a good back up to Janmaat. He is definitely not any worse than Dummett, Williamson, Taylor or Haidara.

• 7 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM

GEORDIE69

heard lots of people on here call haidaira for his defending (probably you aswell)

Taverniers biggest fault was his inability to defend, was decent on the ball but far worse than haidaira defending, in fact don’t think I ever saw him make a tackle.

I suppose you rated Danny Simpson aswell…

• 8 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Haidara is quality, he seems to have a tag of being a poor player with some on here. If i had to give a player of the season so far it would be him, he has been by far and away the most consistent player and he will keep improving with a good run in the team.

Also i’m still adamant that Willo and Mbemba would be our best CB partnership, much like Willo & Mbiwa were the best previously.

• 9 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Ian a late reply.

Yes I do watch the fall. Me and my missus are big fans.

And yes I had realised it was filmed in Belfast pretty early on Haha

Some bad Belfast accents in there though. They need to work on that 🙂

• 10 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM

GEORDIE
    Nar he’s significantly worse than all of those imo

I’ve got no ill will towards him he’s just not a very good player

• 11 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:11 PM

In all fairness i would prefer Tav on the right wing rather than Obertan!

• 12 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:12 PM

SUTTY

Wouldn’t go as far to say that he has been player of the season. (for me either Krul or Mbemba) However good to know we have another Haidaira fan.

WIlliamson would give us the much MUCH needed height however the man can’t play football and I would much prefer Coloccini in there for time being until we can a new centre back in.

• 13 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Hey maybe Tav should have been played further up the pitch, I know that he did use to be a Centre mid and was decent there too.

But you know football clubs and there need for changing a player’s position, Just ask wor Gouffran.

• 14 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM

The blue cafu! He looks very good to be fair. Basically playing as a winger at the minute though. Didn’t see yesterdays game but have watched him the previous few weeks on tv.

Still can’t believe no premier league clubs wanted Warburton.

• 15 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM

@ The broons

I would disagree on Williamson’s height advantage .

The number of smaller players I have seen out jump him is embarrassing considering he is about 6’3 .

Add that to the fact he is awful on the ball means he should be nowhere near the team IMO . I know its early day’s but M’bemba looks 100 times better and he is still very young .

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM

I rate Haidara he is the only LB at the club for me

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Jeff,
    Unlike you, who is constantly being proved wrong, I don’t disappear for a few days and I’d hardly call issuing an apology to the baloney speaking Ian Toon as grovelling .

• 18 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM

He’s meant to be playing right back Sutty but Rangers having 70% possession has him far further up the field.

• 19 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Broons, Colo can play football but is a shocking defender, know which ability I think is most important in a CB. Wouldn’t be any fun if everyone wanted exactly the same team though.
    I was maybe being a bit overzealous on the Haidara player of the season thing, Krul has been back to somewhere near his best and Mbemba does look a very good addition,
    Just hope the others can up their play to match and then we’ll be rocking

• 20 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Big pappa

I did actually say that if you read my whole paragraph.

SUTTY

I am not at all blinkered by Coloccini and Taylor’s good performances this season. I still know that them 2 and WIlliamson and in my opinion Dummet aren’t near good enough for premier league sides never mind one striving for the top half of the league.

• 21 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:29 PM

@ broons

I was just making the point that his height isn’t even a benefit the majority of the time although we can agree he is an abysmal footballer .

• 22 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Broons, yes lots of people do seem a bit blinkered as you say by 1 or 2 decent/lucky defensive performances.
    Taylor is a good defender when his is fit and gets a run of games, however that’s once in every four years! Certainly not a player you can rely on. Colo is Colo, gets outjumped by Anita and outpaced by Willo but we’re stuck with him. Happy to see how it develops, maybe its all in the coaching, after all that was Pardews department to look after wasnt it?!

• 23 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Belfast – Hello fella. Your never too late for me. You’ve been helpful. One last question.
    – Aside from the attraction of recognising places and buildings etc did you find it an authentic drama from your own/ or limited knowledge of the subject matter of the series.
    – Are you and missus ( you can confer) eagerly awaiting a new series ; if so would you prefer more emphasis on the police detection side or on the personality defect side portrayed
    by perpetrator(s). So I lied there were two questions but I got you interested – well didn’t I?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 24 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Actually out of curiosity for the people on tonight I would like to know their line-up for their own opinion of the most overrated toon players.
    Since us toon fans so often disagree on whos good and whos not.

I’m only young so I will put a lineup of players in my lifetime;
    Gk: Jack Alnwick- Was apparently thumping on Pardew’s door for game time.

Rb: Danny Simpson- Feel like I was the only one that realised how poor he actually was.

Cb: Marcelinho- Just remember him being injured all the time.

Cb: Williamson- Just pips Stevie Taylor.

Lb: Dummet- Might sound harsh but still think hes championship at best.

Rm: Geremi- forgot he was on the pitch until it was time to take a corner again.

Cm: Alan Smith- Seemed to do a lot of giving away fouls and not much else for me.

Cm: Nicky Butt- Liked him at Man U for certain, however was washed up and done by the time he came to us.

Lm: Duff- I think I can remember 1 good game from him in a cup match in his whole toon career.

St: Owen- yeah injuries rued him but so what, club record signing still to this day and was our biggest mistake.

St: Viduka- Another has been, looked like he had chronic knee disease.

Notice how many were from our relegation side.

• 25 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Would be interesting to hear other people’s opinions.

• 26 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:40 PM

For me two of Collo’s major flaws are:

1) He is either very slow or just plain lazy .

2) He charges out of defence chasing players with the ball and leaving our backline a mess .

• 27 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Big Pappa

On number 2) you have listed, as a centre back I can sympathise with him in those situations. 9/10 time its the defensive midfielders not doing their job good enough. However I agree he does it far too often and leaves huge holes in the centre of defence.

It kinda makes me think even more that he could be a really good holding midfielder.

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Belfast,
    Does it not freak you out ?

• 29 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:52 PM

@ the broons

Yeah I agree .

I sometimes get the feeling he should have been playing there his whole career, as I don’t think he enjoys doing some of the defensive duties Centre Backs have to do like get stuck in and be good in the air .

He is brilliant on the ball mind you, and is one of the calmest I have seen in possession in the PL for a CB .

• 30 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:52 PM

broons
    Simmo, Alnwick and Williamson over rated? Personally I’d have 2 of them classed as rather underrated. I’d have Benny boy in the over rated section personally

• 31 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Bloody hell Ian are you writing a book on Spector? 🙂

Yes I’m looking forward to the new series.

Oh and the wife beating loyalist paramilitary was a classic. Jimmy? They got that bang on. Haha

I’ve met a right few eejits like him.

• 32 Jib // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Big Pappa Cissé
    Do you see what a pr”ck you look when you post this:

“He is very slow and charges out of defence chasing players .”

F***king what !!!!

You are clearly some big fat American 200 lb couch potato who’s knowledge of footy (or soccer as you cretins call it) could be written on a rice grain.

• 33 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:01 PM

What Jail the fall?

Yes always sleep with the lights on afterwards 🙂

• 34 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:04 PM

@ Jib

Lived in the North east all my life m8 and I am currently 5’11 weighing in at 12 stone and play football regularly .

And If you think Collo is one of our faster players then you clearly don’t watch our games much .

• 35 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM

WWSBRD

Thats what I wanted to hear someone disagree with me, however no I think Danny Simpson was not much better than Tavernier in my opinon. couldn’t think of many keepers in my time and yeah Williamson has played a lot in a toon shirt when really he should never played even 1.

• 36 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM

JIB, i’ve seen Colo do that loads of times, anyone watching NUFC for the past two years has seen that loads of times. You must have some very black & white tinted glasses on if you haven’t. Don’t think theres any need to have a breakdown over it.

• 37 Ian Toon // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Belfast – Thanks much appreciated I knew you were the right person to ask.

• 38 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Jib

Pappa actually described rather accurately. Even against Man U where he was immense he started following Rooney to the middle of nowhere.

• 39 the broons // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:09 PM

SUTTY

This is the thing I find so amusing, so many wide contrast views on our players.
    Some people love Coloccini, some people hate him.
    Same for Sissoko, Colback, Anita and Haidaira..

• 40 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM

broons
    Tbf am an easy bet for a disagreement, I get bored agreeing with people haha. I quite liked Simmo should of stayed and been back up to Debuchy for me, daft for the club to let him go…far better than Tav for me. Willo just suffers because of how often he has been first choice when he was brought in to be 3rd choice in the championship good back up CB on relatively low wages I’d get shot of Saylor before Williamson

As for Jak I just didn’t realise anyone rated him but I take ur point on GKs we tend to always have good ones…maybe Elliott but even he was alright for a time

• 41 Jib // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM

He was actually told to man mark Rooney when their midfield had the ball.

However you’all miss the main point.

Fatty Cissé said he’s “terrible slow” and “rushes about” in the same sub clause , he should stick to reading his Fifa 2015 instructions and stop thinking too much.

• 42 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Yep you’re right, as i say it would be no fun if everyone thought the same. Unlike JIB it seems we are both open to other peoples opinion!

• 43 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM

If ur slow u can’t rush anywhere?

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:19 PM

WW…,
    Your thoughts on Willo exactly mirror my own.
    Jeff,
    You truly are an ‘orrible cnut !

• 45 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:20 PM

JIB – the fact is that its an accurate description of his MO. Where do you get that he was man marking Rooney? Haven’t seen that myself, not saying you’re wrong before you claim some kind of cut n paste victory over me!

• 46 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:21 PM

JfA
    I think we are the only two who think that on Williamson mate

• 47 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM

SUTTY
    Jib watched the game at least once every day for a week…he knows all about that game!

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM

WW…,
    You have to look at the games he has started compared to Taylor over the years, it would be crazy to get rid of him without a top quality first team replacement, OR a top quality LB so that Dummet could be his replacement.

• 49 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:33 PM

I mean rush out of his POSITION in the defence leaving us exposed, not how fast he is FFS.

Some people are clueless.

• 50 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:40 PM

JfA
    Aye I’d take that in regards to Dummett moving inside, our best CB last season I reckon and pretty crap as a LB but we both know what the club will do

• 51 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:46 PM

For me Dummet is similar to Simpson in that they aren’t your modern day full back like Coleman for Everton, that are as comfortable going forward as they are defending.

Haidara is decent going forward but is still suspect at times when defending.

Hopefully Willems was at St.James’ for more than to cheer on Wijnaldum.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM

WW…,
    Unfortunately what we both know about football, according to jeff from the Guardian, makes our opinion moot points !

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:04 PM

BPC,
    If Haidara is considered good enough to be first or second choice now be would be great back up to a top quality first teamer

• 54 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Jeff ain’t clueless. He knows exactly what he’s doing. Shame about the missing spine though, he’s wrong on a daily basis and gets called out for it, only to hide for a few hours until the dust settles, then out he pops for another random swipe. I would suggest a failure in the real world who lacks ability to engage in normal conversation. His virtual personal helps him strive for a semblance of parity with the average intelligence, using his pal Google to help him. He’s like those early chess computers. You could tell it was just a crappy program, no innate intelligence. Hey, maybe jeff is actually a sunderland students AI project?

• 55 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Haidara is only 22, lots of people talk about giving young players match time but then want to bring in a replacement for someone who is still young and still improving. Hope he stays in the first team for the foreseeable future.
    Similar with Dummett i suppose but he just doesnt seem to have the same basic attributes as Haidara so i dont think he’ll ever be better than average and in all likelyhood he will end up playing CB where he’s more suited.

• 56 SUTTY1978 // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Then again i’m sure JIB will tell me i’m completely wrong and a moron….

• 57 Ibizatoon // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Sutty…It’s when he doesn’t tell you you’re completely wrong and a moron that you need to get worried.

On thread…Hopefully International woes will give some of our lads a little kick up the backside. A wake up call.

Nice to see Simmo get a mention tonight. Did you know that statistically, Danny Simpson was one of the best….

…Only joking.

• 58 Mister Tuff // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:26 PM

It without doubt has been a trait of Coloccini to “rush out of defence chasing an opposition player. Posted about this on several occasions myself. He inevitably does not get the ball.
    As he goes for a sortie up field this has the effect of leaving the defence in an unorganised blind panic.
    Anyone who thinks otherwise must have the equivalent football “knowledge” to think Brazil is a club team.
    F*****G Brazil United. What a knacker!!

• 59 WWSBRD // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:26 PM

JfA
    Haha well we are but simple folk compared to such a student of football

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Sometimes this blog reminds me of Grange Hill.

• 61 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM

You remind me of Benny hill Welsh.

• 62 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Ernie. That was him.

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Welsh,
    I can’t think of a Grange Hill character that would suit you, but there was a bloke called Benny on Crossroads which could be you but he was a bit more intelligent!

• 64 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:40 PM

I think it’s difficult to judge colo when he partnered by Willo. Not fair really, because he’s unable to trust sharing responsibility with a gangling bungler. No offence.

• 65 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Ah yes Benny that’s where I got it from. Miss Doyaaanne!

• 66 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Paul McCartney jazzed up the Crossroads theme tune. From live and let die to that. You knew he’d had his day then

• 67 welshgeordie9 // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I rest my case.

• 68 welshgeordie9 // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM

As clarkson would say and on that bombshell its goodnight

Goodnight ladies.

• 69 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Definitely Zammo.

• 70 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM

• 71 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Could be worse Welshie

• 72 expatmag // Sep 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Hey TUFF

The ultimate insult mate from the last thread

Being trolled by a welsh sheep shagger…….shame on you…….lol

• 73 Belfast // Sep 6, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Expat turn the lights out when you’re done.

Night

• 74 expatmag // Sep 6, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Belfast

Just getting up over here

• 75 jimmysmith // Sep 6, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Haidarra was very good defensively against Man U and Arsenal, and was good last season until injured. At 22 he looks set to make that left back spot his own. I liked Santon, but Haidarra plays with more intensity and seems better suited to this league. His progress and the presence of Dummett, makes the sale of Santon more understandable, although Santon could play either side, which would make him useful, although he seemed to expect to be picked, and I think might have caused problems if not. Still it’s a pity,.Janmaat, Haidaara and Santon would have been a top stable of fullbacks under McClaren

• 76 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Jimmy

Agree a out Haidara. He is on a steep learning curb at present and I think he will do well.

In my opinion, Santon regressed rapidly and when faced by an out and out winger, he was shown up as a very average defender.

In the two 3-0 defeats to the mackems, he was terrorised by a very ordinary Adam Johnson.

• 77 lesh // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Jib

Repost from previous thread…..

Jib

Your reference to child/adult Mr Tuff suggests you’re au fait with Eric Berne’s methods?

• 78 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:35 AM

Fail, I was there all that time, so why wait until I’ve said I’m going before giving it large. So it’s back to the 150 mil is it? Fine. As jib pointed out, that same number has been mentioned twice. Coincidence? Possible, but not probable. Macca hasn’t lied to us, so why would I not believe him? The plans were in place before Macca signed up – long before apparently. Whatever those plans were, they really excited him. We know that money is available and has been spent wisely so far, so the mention of a further 100m to spend sounds feasible enough. Why that number? Twice? As he’s seen the financial plan and you haven’t, I’d sooner follow his lead thank you. When he first said about challenging, how many of you laughed and said ‘we’d need to spend 100-150 mil to catch up. We won’t spend that’. Macca said we would build a team to win things. I imagine he also figured how much it would take, so why would 150m be amount he’s mentioned twice? I know you’d just be devastated if we did, because it would make your lifes target – jail for ashley – obsolete. So, who’s most likely to be right? Macca, who’s seen the plans for the next three windows, or Fail, blinded by obsession? Having mentioned the same figure twice, if we didn’t have that amount to spend, he’d be ridiculed – certainly by you and yours, gleefully celebrating the fact that we might not succeed as forcast. Wow.

• 79 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Jimmy, Haidarra was superb before the McMannaman tackle and looks to be returning to that form. I don’t know why some people get it in their head that a particular player is crap and then refute any improvement he shows. Form comes and goes. One run of bad form doesn’t mean you write a player off forever. We’ve seen how good he can be, why should it be such a surprise that he’s regaining that form? He’s one of ours, we should get behind all our players and stop the targeting of certain players.

• 80 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:00 AM

Bobby

It is inherent into most fans to criticise individuals when not performing. What they dont realise is the damage that is done to a player down on confidence such as Obertan.

In my days back home in the late 60s early 70s, it was Tommy Gibb. He was often the unfair buffer for fans disenchantment because he was a worker and not a silky smooth Jinky Smith or Tommy Casssidy.

Unfortunately, fans failed to recognise his value and consistency to the team and subsequently, his confidence suffered.

Hope the sane doesnt happen to Haidara

• 81 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:16 AM

Bobby haven’t been on in a while. Re boycott I wud have done so if I was living in North East but IMO the club is changing for the better. Cynics like Jail assumed we would sell an important player this window but we didn’t. If negative fans can’t see a definitive change of approach since June then one has to question if their agenda is more important than the club’s development. The time to jail Ashley is long gone, thankfully. In terms of the boycott I hope u trust my credentials as a fan who has done the hard yards with pride. Yes I have been to Burslem 🙂

• 82 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Expat, I vaguely remember that too. I was just getting into it then 🙂 I’ve never booed our players. I refuse to believe any of them play bad deliberately and it’s a psychological fact that people respond better to encouragement than abuse. I might curse a bit under my breath, but I’d never verbally abuse one of our own. It’s counter productive. If I thought a player wasn’t trying, because he was sulking over a move, I might change my mind, but never for an under par performance. If a player continually plays poorly and still gets picked, how is it his fault? Obertan is a confidence player and no matter what good he’s done, the second he makes a mistake, the bully boys set to work on him. Destroy his confidence, then expect him to play well? Good luck with that theory!

• 83 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:36 AM

Munster my mucker, people who go to games, like yourself, have every right to boycott. In fact, only game attending fans can boycott. Your credentials are fine by me. 🙂 Only when none attending fans demand we give up our ST’s do I get miffed. I don’t agree with the logic of a boycott, but I’ll defend your right to it 100%. There is change matey and only the blinkered can’t see it. As you rightly highlight, so, so many insisted we would: 1st, never spend that amount on a single player – but we did more than once and: 2nd, sell our stars just before the window shut, so Ashley could recoup. Both were fantastically wrong assumptions. Everything is changing for the better. I’m just gonna settle back and see how far we can take this. I’m genuinely excited by the prospects over the next season or two and can’t see why people get upset by my personal otimism. I’ll be the one to suffer after all. A fool for my beliefs – if it happens. I don’t want to be right so I can say ‘I told you so’ – I leave that for others. I hope I’m right for every single Toon fan, in every far flung corner of the planet. Call it a hunch, or gut feeling, but it just feels right to me. The hard evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of change.

• 84 jimmysmith // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:55 AM

I think Newcastle will have to spend that 100 million over the next 4 windows on the right players at the right time, and McClaren will have to successfully integrate them if we are to become a legitimate top eight side. That is three big if’s but it does look as if the will is there to do it.

Already I like this side though, so Match Day is greatly anticipated again, and I agree a pro bias, is entirely preferable to a negative one in support of your own football team, and that would now even cautiously extend to the owner, having sanctioned the spending of that 50 million, on what looks 5 canny buys.

• 85 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:10 AM

Bobby

I refuse to boo too. I cannot see the point.

I agreed with the boycott though and along with the ineptness of last season on the field, Ashley had no other choice but to make changes. These changes however, should have been recognised long ago.

My only hope is that he will learn his lesson and continue the good work from this summer over future windows.

On a side note, I havent been to SJP for a game since Boxing Day 2010 when we lost 1-3 to Man City. However, I fly in from Oz next week just in time for a week of home games against Watford, Sheffield Wednesday and Chelsea so I am looking forward to that.

• 86 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:19 AM

Jimmy, that walk to the match is so much nicer when you genuinely fancy your chances innit? The last few seasons have been depressing and I intend to enjoy the change and hope to hell it lasts. All the signs are good imo, why would anybody keep searching for negatives? If Carroll is even on the bench at West Ham, I’d take Willo on the trip. Carroll has never bettered Willo and another case of horses for courses imo. Willo did such a good job on him v Liverpool he was subbed early. Some defenders just have it over certain strikers and Willo has that over big Andy. Worth considering I reckon.

• 87 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:24 AM

Expat, let’s hope it’s a productive visit and you take back happy memories to keep you going until your next visit 🙂 We have had a bit of success v Chelsea recently and it would be nice to beat them again. Enjoy the flight and visit and if we win all three games – come back again soon! 😉

• 88 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:37 AM

expat – you say you’ve just got up. If you think Obertron is a confidence player (by definition a player who has lost something) then you need to get back to bed as you’ve clearly not had enough sleep.
    I’ll be happy to eat humble pie on this -Obertron is not a PL player – however your belief in him will surely be fulfilled when Blackie builds his confidence up and we’ll see him starting loads of games and scoring lots of goals. I’ll say it is not going to happen.

• 89 lesh // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:57 AM

Expat

Tommy Gibb was indeed an ever-present butt for fan’s frustrations. Even so, he was regarded as important to the team because of his off-the-ball runs.

Like Haidara, an unsung hero at times.

• 90 lesh // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:07 AM

Expat

Ah, so it’s your impending visit that’s prompted the bunting that’s appeared on the road from the airport through to the Civic Centre and also explains why kids have been given the fay off school!

And here’s me thinking it’s been a royal visit coming up!

• 91 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:11 AM

Bobby

I hope so mate. Looking forward to seeing it all live again.

LESH

I had a lot of time for TG and didnt like the way the fans treated him. He was a mainstay of that team.

TUFF

Get off your podium, you old numpty. Obertan can still produce. Email me your phone number and I will ring you to arrange a meet up after one of the games. I think my mates like a bar in he Bigg Market. I think it is called the George

• 92 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:32 AM

Obertan produce?

Are we making jokes this morning or are we all suppose bring up subjects that will not happen in a thousand years 😉

• 93 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:42 AM

Jesper

So you werent impressed with the cross for Wijnaldums goal against Southampton then?

• 94 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:02 AM

Expat…I think that’s just the law of average mate!

• 95 SUTTY1978 // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:10 AM

Expat, one cross in a match isn’t really producing, people forget how horrible he was with the other 62 touches he had in the game! I made the 62 up by the way, before someone googles it! One thing it does prove is that he would have probably been better played on the right than on the left at least he has half a chance of getting a cross in with his right foot!

• 96 Ron Knee // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:17 AM

“One cross does not a footballer make.”

• 97 nut meg // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:27 AM

Expat
    I remember Tommy Gibb getting a lot of stick BUT, he never hid as many other players would have done. He always worked hard for the team & showed for the ball as I recall.Another player who used to get it from the boo boys was Frank Clark,I always thought it was because of his ungainly style rather than his ability to do a really good job for the team.Some people,too many in fact only see style rather than substance in footballers.Brian Clough signed Clark on a free transfer and later said it came as a shock to him as he would have paid 100,000 for him. He won a European winners medals and league winners medals & a few others under old big head!

• 98 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:47 AM

Alot of players from the 70tees and 80tees are being championed on here – it’s way before my NUFC time – but how many of those players would get a mention from football fans in general and not just from diehard black and whites? 🙂

• 99 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:03 AM

Jesper

I know but we have so far scored 2 league goals and Obertan was responsible for setting one up. In games against Man Utd and Swansea, he was deployed defensively.

We all know he is a confidence player and to be honest, he has provided a lot more than the likes of Sissoko Aarons De Jong Mitrovic and Cisse.

• 100 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Nutmeg

Good call on Frank Clark but I wasnt too disappointed he left because Alan Kennedy got in the team and he was a good mate.

• 101 nut meg // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Expat
    A young Alan Kennedy was also the reason why we let his brother Keith go as well if my memory serves me well.He really turned out a fine player.Can you remember when Joe Harvey played him in midfield for a while? I don’t know if AK was happy about it or not but Harvey said it would make him a better full back ….he was probably right He had a great career at both NUFC & Liverpool.

• 102 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Bobbybee,
    Lets just hope you’re right and we spend £100M over the next two windows.

• 103 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Nutmeg

Yes. He went to Bury. They were good mates. Only problem is they lived in Penshaw…….lol

• 104 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM

expat,
    I’m not sure how you can defend Obryiton, he is woeful, he might have had that one assist but for the rest of the time he has been completely ineffective, he not only does not help in attack but helps moves break down.

• 105 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Mr Expatmag sir

You state Alan Kennedy was a good mate.

Does this mean you were born in Sunderland !!!

• 106 hibbit // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:46 AM

oberton a footballer…NEVER

• 107 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Obertan goal or assist every 319 minutes
    Sissoko goal or assist every 386 minutes
    Gouffran goal or assist every 295 minutes
    Marveaux goal or assist every 193 minutes

These (all Premier League) stats prove little in reality, as there needs to be far more to their game than just goals or assists, but they would indicate the person with the last end product of 4 players who can play wide midfield is actually Sissoko…

Still, doesn’t make Obertan anything better than a track athlete who occasionally gets it right. Given Goofy’s work rate he maybe is an unfair target of criticism though. Marvwaux doesn’t have the work rate to justify a start sadly, as if he did he could be very good..

• 108 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Munster & Boobybee,
    Your posts seem to think that those of us who wanted things to change the most do not recognise that things could be changing, I have already said fair play to fatty for spending a few quid what more do you want me to say. And as for using the fact that no important players were sold as a stick to beat people with given our track record is pretty lame to be honest.

• 109 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Bobbybee,
    Honestly it was a typo 😀

• 110 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 8:00 AM

Jib

No. I was born in the RVI and lived in Low Fell until I emigrated to Australia at the age of 25.

I went to St Aidans school in Sunderland from the age of 7 until 16.

• 111 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Lil

So Obertan has been far more effective than Sissoko then. Good stats.

• 112 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 8:05 AM

JFA

Maybe it is because I can see, if managed correctly, he could be an asset with his pace and crossing ability.

For a period last season before his injury against Liverpool, he was our best player for half a dozen games.

• 113 sing in the corner // Sep 7, 2015 at 8:10 AM

expat

In my opinion its purely ‘ticker’, as they say in your neck of the woods, thats the problem with Ober. I assume a sports psychologist has been tried in depth with thius lad, but if one hasn’t thats the way surely. Obvious raw ability but theres confidence players and then at the extreme end of that theres Ober…

• 114 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Expat
    You can answer a question for me
    AK is always fulsome in his praise for 2 factors in his life that made him a good footy player
    1 His schoolteam
    2 His big brother Keith

Would the school he refers to , be St. Aidans ?

paulcannell it’s alan kennedy

• 115 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 7, 2015 at 8:26 AM

Sissoko
    And Oh
    The Journal are reporting he wanted a move to a bigger club this summer and the TOON blocked it. He thinks Palace are a bigger team because they signed Cabaye – shows in a lot of players estimation how the TOON’s standing has plummeted.

previous post: Rolando Aarons Tweets Simple Message Amid Speculation