Top International Center-Back Still Available As Free Agent

Newcastle were linked with Aston Villa center-back Ron Vlaar during the summer transfer window, and he is still available as a free agent after his contract ran out at Villa at the end of June.

For a player who was a star for Holland in the World Cup last summer in Brazil, when they finished in 3rd place, that’s a little surprising.

ron vlaar great close-up

Ron Vlaar – 30 year-old free agent

Vlaar is an experienced center-back who stands just short of 6’3″ tall, and he has played 220 club games at AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord and Aston Villa in his career and has  31 caps for Holland.

He played 86 times with two goals for Villa in the three seasons he played for them, and 79 of those games were in the Premier League, so he does have a lot of experience.

We thought in the summer that he would be a decent buy for Newcastle, especially as a free agent, and it’s surprising he hasn’t been signed by a PL club – but maybe his wage demands are too high?

But with Steve McClaren keeping Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson as back-ups to Fabricio Coloccini and Chancel Mbemba,  it seems that the head coach has already settled on his four center-backs and we also have young Jamaal Lascelles available.

There’s a chance we could loan out either Mike or Steven when the emergency transfer window opens on September 9th this week.

If that happens maybe Ron Vlaar would be a good buy, but we suspect that Steve McClaren didn’t think he would need him at Newcastle.

Newcastle are short of full-backs, so we would expect a move for a good full-back in the January transfer window.

Should Newcastle Sign Ron Vlaar As A Free Agent?

Loading ... Loading ...

Note: A number of Newcastle fans organized by Callum Taylor are raising funds for the Refugees forced to leave war-torn countries like Syria. They will have some banners at the West Ham game.

See if you can support them at their pledge page here – thanks.

• beermonkey

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:10 PM

top international is stretching the truth a bit there

but isn’t he injured till xmas
    I don’t want him any way

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Is this today’s player we won’t be signing?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Move along the bus, no political or geographical discussions here. 🙂

Vlar would be a good signing if he is fit, it’s a no brainer really but I can’t see it happening.

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:25 PM

I see Sissoko has been issuing come and get me pleas again haha

Didn’t take long.

• martoon

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Vlarr did have an excellent World Cup but he was very average in the Villa defence most of the time. I think he was injured but I can’t find him on the physioroom presumably because he’s not on the books of any premier league club.

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Ed –

He is injured until 2016!!!

Essex –

The Celtic Isles example is completely different. Were England under Celtic rule at any point? Ireland is a free country and we do not wish to be referred to as British. The term British Isles originated in the 17th century when Ireland was under British rule. To use the term British Isles is considered to be including Ireland as part of Britain.

Back on the original point, British Lions is not accurate as there are many Irish players involved who are certainly not British.

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Move along the bus, no political or geographical discussions here. 🙂
    ———————————————————————-
    Agreed!

• Munster Mag

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Agreed ! Come on Limerick in the U21 hurling final ! Luimneach abu !!

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Munster –

Just seen your comment on the other thread. I can’t blame you. Spent a fortune on Ireland tickets over the years (Some were €65+). Tonight is €35 so might buy one last minute.

Hopefully for your sake, Limerick win it well. Decent young side. Possible Liam McCarthy shout in years to come?

Do you get over to SJP much? Heading over to the Watford game for the first time in quite a while. Luckily my sister moved to Gosforth and with return flights for €32 going to see a game isn’t as costly as it once was.

• Munster Mag

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Essex, you’ll be wishing u had a British soccer team if Pardew gets a hold of England 🙂 . I have defended him many times on here because I felt people were being OTT and he got a rough ride internally but I hate cocky Palace fans and journalists and cnuts like Ian Wright laughing at us. Ian Wright …is there any worse tool in the football media ??

• Munster Mag

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Daragh, I dont get over al att. Poor form. I travelled all over the place with the Mags when i was in my 20s and early 30s but havent been over in a few years. I will be bringing my 4 yr old son in a year or two to give him a proper NUFC dose but I could do with going over before that. As I said poor form but u know the story, mortage, 2 kids etc

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Munster –

Preaching to the choir! Last game I was over for was the Blackburn game. Almost 4 years ago.

Thankfully with my sister living there it’s free accommodation and somebody to go to the matches with. It’s hard to spend money on flights, hotel, ticket going alone especially with the purse strings as tight as they are.

• Big Archie

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM

I was kinda hoping that we had moved on from signing people who had to be wheeled into the press conference!

• brklyngeordie

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Sissoko really must go really is a vagina always talking himself up and how he needs to be elsewhere move him on

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Daragh, that ‘s a bargain marra! It used to cost me more to travel up from Chesterfield when I was living down there! I honestly didn’t realise flights came in at that price – that said, I’ve never actually looked so that does explain it 🙂 I take it that’s one way? We’ve got three home games in a week coming up… not that I’m the devil on your shoulder or anything, but… 😉

• nightfa11

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Vlaar is too old..we already have colo and taylor.. We need a defender for 4,5 years..

As for sissoko.. I hope we sell him while hes still worth sth.. Hes an ok player..but not that hard to replace..besides we need a dmc to play with winaljdum..not someone whos afraid to make a tackle..

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Same could apply munster. Come on, you know you WANT to? Ignore that good angel on your other shoulder and listen to me: three home games in a week. Watford, Wednesday and Chelsea…. 😉

• LGFUAD21

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Who cares on moussa.

He needs to play well to get to euros. If we end up getting a good few for him then so be it.

We’ll end up with a more balanced squad as a result.

Ask or vlaar. Sadly I think he’s over the hill. He’s fine as a box defender but he’d be exposed horribly in our team. The o my benefit he’d bring is height. Much better options out there.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Brooklyn, we should stick the 100m price tag on him he thinks he’s worth. That might shut him up!

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:30 PM

None of the top four want to sign him anyway so he’ll be staying put brklyngeordie.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player whore himself around as much as him like. It became embarrasing a while ago it’s now ridiculous lol

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Bobbybee –

Ha, I wish I could. Flights were Saturday morning and coming back Sunday night for €32 combined!!! Ridiculous really. Cost me more than that to get a taxi to the airport.

Will be trying to get over more now as I can afford to make the trip. Eyeing up the Liverpool game in December; however I’m presuming tickets will be hard to come by.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Does anybody know if there’s a link to the U19 England game tonight? Arma should get a game tonight, which makes it worth watching in my eyes.

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Belfast –

If he spent less time eyeing up a move and focused on his game we wouldn’t be able to keep him! His main problem is he’s got one eye on the door at all times. He could be a star if he had a better mindset I think.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Are you a member mate? Even if not, there’s usually tickets, but limited. Best bet would be wait for the tickets to come online and then book it over the phone, to be picked up at the stadium – or risk the post.

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Bobbybee- I just knew it- you’re his agent!

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Welsh- Your fans stole this from the toon army.
    Please don’t take me home ( pinched from Newcastle fans!)

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Daragh, I did wonder why the flights were that cheap like! 🙂 Still not bad for a short break mind you. Anyway, start saving for our trip to Wembley in May. I’ve got us to win the FA Cup in my prediction. So, that said, maybe the league cup final might be a better option 😉

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Bobby –

Sister works with a number of season ticket holders. She is a member, I was back in 2011 but not sure if that remains or needs to be renewed. I’m looking to head over with 3 mates so need 4 tickets which I think may be tough. Could post it to my sisters address so post shouldn’t be an issue.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Ian, you’ve got me marra – what can I say? 😉 If I was, he’d be told to shut up and get his head down for the Toon. Pretty crap agent eh? Can’t see him going this season and would be surprised if any CL team wanted him to be honest. He’s a good player, I just can’t see him being good enough for Chelski, City etc. To be fair though, canny bargain buy from Carr like.

• DaraghL

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Bobby –

Was part of the Ryanair sale. Flights I believe are about €25 each with a €9 discount hence the €16 each price I paid. People complain about Ryanair but for that price I’d take a catapult and a parachute.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Daragh, aye, four might be pushing it. You might get four, but not all together I suspect, but that kinda defeats the idea of a lad’s trip over I suppose. It might be worth an email to the club, you never know.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Tbf to Sissoko tge 100 mill was tongue firmly in cheek still another interview with him being linked away, he was asked directly about a transfer

Am not fussed if he leaves I get tired of him talking in the press understand why he wants away though

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Daragh, that price is mind blowing. I wouldn’t complain marra, I’d snap their hands off! 🙂 Not long enough to warrant paying other firm’s prices if you can get it that cheap. I honestly don’t see how they make a profit.

• hibbit

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM

if sissoko could play as well as he talks we would have a world beater ….he thinks he is better then he is…. big softie if the truth be known not CL quality

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM

WWSBRD, He does like to discuss transfers a lot like, which is slightly disrespectful to his contract. I understand why he wants to play CL football and can’t knock it really, but we brought him out into the spotlight. Nice bargain like! Cheap as chips 🙂

• hibbit

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM

any news on leeds ??

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Daragh, I just got this picture in my head of you and your mates flying out of that catapult over the Irish sea, trying to work out exactly when to pull the ripcord… 😉

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Hibbett, he was on yesterday, or the previous day.

• Ron Knee

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM

hibbit
    When did we last hear from him?

• Ron Knee