The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Top International Center-Back Still Available As Free Agent

3:06 pm, Monday, September 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 68 Comments

Newcastle were linked with Aston Villa center-back Ron Vlaar during the summer transfer window, and he is still available as a free agent after his contract ran out at Villa at the end of June.

For a player who was a star for Holland in the World Cup last summer in Brazil, when they finished in 3rd place, that’s a little surprising.

ron vlaar great close-up

Ron Vlaar – 30 year-old free agent

Vlaar is an experienced center-back who stands just short of 6’3″ tall, and he has played 220 club games at AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord and Aston Villa in his career and has  31 caps for Holland.

He played 86 times with two goals for Villa in the three seasons he played for them, and 79 of those games were in the Premier League, so he does have a lot of experience.

We thought in the summer that he would be a decent buy for Newcastle, especially as a free agent, and it’s surprising he hasn’t been signed by a PL club – but maybe his wage demands are too high?

But with Steve McClaren keeping Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson as back-ups to Fabricio Coloccini and Chancel Mbemba,  it seems that the head coach has already settled on his four center-backs and we also have young Jamaal Lascelles available.

There’s a chance we could loan out either Mike or Steven when the emergency transfer window opens on September 9th this week.

If that happens maybe Ron Vlaar would be a good buy, but we suspect that Steve McClaren didn’t think he would need him at Newcastle.

Newcastle are short of full-backs, so we would expect a move for a good full-back in the January transfer window.

Should Newcastle Sign Ron Vlaar As A Free Agent?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Note: A number of Newcastle fans organized by Callum Taylor are raising funds for the Refugees forced to leave war-torn countries like Syria. They will have some banners at the West Ham game.

See if you can support them at their pledge page here – thanks.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

68 responses so far ↓

• 1 beermonkey // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:10 PM

top international is stretching the truth a bit there

but isn’t he injured till xmas
    I don’t want him any way

• 2 Belfast // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Is this today’s player we won’t be signing?

• 3 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Move along the bus, no political or geographical discussions here. 🙂

Vlar would be a good signing if he is fit, it’s a no brainer really but I can’t see it happening.

• 4 Belfast // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:25 PM

I see Sissoko has been issuing come and get me pleas again haha

Didn’t take long.

• 5 martoon // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Vlarr did have an excellent World Cup but he was very average in the Villa defence most of the time. I think he was injured but I can’t find him on the physioroom presumably because he’s not on the books of any premier league club.

• 6 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Ed –

He is injured until 2016!!!

Essex –

The Celtic Isles example is completely different. Were England under Celtic rule at any point? Ireland is a free country and we do not wish to be referred to as British. The term British Isles originated in the 17th century when Ireland was under British rule. To use the term British Isles is considered to be including Ireland as part of Britain.

Back on the original point, British Lions is not accurate as there are many Irish players involved who are certainly not British.

• 7 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Move along the bus, no political or geographical discussions here. 🙂
    ———————————————————————-
    Agreed!

• 8 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Agreed ! Come on Limerick in the U21 hurling final ! Luimneach abu !!

• 9 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Munster –

Just seen your comment on the other thread. I can’t blame you. Spent a fortune on Ireland tickets over the years (Some were €65+). Tonight is €35 so might buy one last minute.

Hopefully for your sake, Limerick win it well. Decent young side. Possible Liam McCarthy shout in years to come?

Do you get over to SJP much? Heading over to the Watford game for the first time in quite a while. Luckily my sister moved to Gosforth and with return flights for €32 going to see a game isn’t as costly as it once was.

• 10 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Essex, you’ll be wishing u had a British soccer team if Pardew gets a hold of England 🙂 . I have defended him many times on here because I felt people were being OTT and he got a rough ride internally but I hate cocky Palace fans and journalists and cnuts like Ian Wright laughing at us. Ian Wright …is there any worse tool in the football media ??

• 11 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Daragh, I dont get over al att. Poor form. I travelled all over the place with the Mags when i was in my 20s and early 30s but havent been over in a few years. I will be bringing my 4 yr old son in a year or two to give him a proper NUFC dose but I could do with going over before that. As I said poor form but u know the story, mortage, 2 kids etc

• 12 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Munster –

Preaching to the choir! Last game I was over for was the Blackburn game. Almost 4 years ago.

Thankfully with my sister living there it’s free accommodation and somebody to go to the matches with. It’s hard to spend money on flights, hotel, ticket going alone especially with the purse strings as tight as they are.

• 13 Big Archie // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM

I was kinda hoping that we had moved on from signing people who had to be wheeled into the press conference!

• 14 brklyngeordie // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Sissoko really must go really is a vagina always talking himself up and how he needs to be elsewhere move him on

• 15 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Daragh, that ‘s a bargain marra! It used to cost me more to travel up from Chesterfield when I was living down there! I honestly didn’t realise flights came in at that price – that said, I’ve never actually looked so that does explain it 🙂 I take it that’s one way? We’ve got three home games in a week coming up… not that I’m the devil on your shoulder or anything, but… 😉

• 16 nightfa11 // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Vlaar is too old..we already have colo and taylor.. We need a defender for 4,5 years..

As for sissoko.. I hope we sell him while hes still worth sth.. Hes an ok player..but not that hard to replace..besides we need a dmc to play with winaljdum..not someone whos afraid to make a tackle..

• 17 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Same could apply munster. Come on, you know you WANT to? Ignore that good angel on your other shoulder and listen to me: three home games in a week. Watford, Wednesday and Chelsea…. 😉

• 18 LGFUAD21 // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Who cares on moussa.

He needs to play well to get to euros. If we end up getting a good few for him then so be it.

We’ll end up with a more balanced squad as a result.

Ask or vlaar. Sadly I think he’s over the hill. He’s fine as a box defender but he’d be exposed horribly in our team. The o my benefit he’d bring is height. Much better options out there.

• 19 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Brooklyn, we should stick the 100m price tag on him he thinks he’s worth. That might shut him up!

• 20 Belfast // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:30 PM

None of the top four want to sign him anyway so he’ll be staying put brklyngeordie.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player whore himself around as much as him like. It became embarrasing a while ago it’s now ridiculous lol

• 21 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Bobbybee –

Ha, I wish I could. Flights were Saturday morning and coming back Sunday night for €32 combined!!! Ridiculous really. Cost me more than that to get a taxi to the airport.

Will be trying to get over more now as I can afford to make the trip. Eyeing up the Liverpool game in December; however I’m presuming tickets will be hard to come by.

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Does anybody know if there’s a link to the U19 England game tonight? Arma should get a game tonight, which makes it worth watching in my eyes.

• 23 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Belfast –

If he spent less time eyeing up a move and focused on his game we wouldn’t be able to keep him! His main problem is he’s got one eye on the door at all times. He could be a star if he had a better mindset I think.

• 24 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Are you a member mate? Even if not, there’s usually tickets, but limited. Best bet would be wait for the tickets to come online and then book it over the phone, to be picked up at the stadium – or risk the post.

• 25 Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Bobbybee- I just knew it- you’re his agent!

• 26 Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Welsh- Your fans stole this from the toon army.
    Please don’t take me home ( pinched from Newcastle fans!)

• 27 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Daragh, I did wonder why the flights were that cheap like! 🙂 Still not bad for a short break mind you. Anyway, start saving for our trip to Wembley in May. I’ve got us to win the FA Cup in my prediction. So, that said, maybe the league cup final might be a better option 😉

• 28 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Bobby –

Sister works with a number of season ticket holders. She is a member, I was back in 2011 but not sure if that remains or needs to be renewed. I’m looking to head over with 3 mates so need 4 tickets which I think may be tough. Could post it to my sisters address so post shouldn’t be an issue.

Fingers crossed anyway.

• 29 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Ian, you’ve got me marra – what can I say? 😉 If I was, he’d be told to shut up and get his head down for the Toon. Pretty crap agent eh? Can’t see him going this season and would be surprised if any CL team wanted him to be honest. He’s a good player, I just can’t see him being good enough for Chelski, City etc. To be fair though, canny bargain buy from Carr like.

• 30 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Bobby –

Was part of the Ryanair sale. Flights I believe are about €25 each with a €9 discount hence the €16 each price I paid. People complain about Ryanair but for that price I’d take a catapult and a parachute.

• 31 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Daragh, aye, four might be pushing it. You might get four, but not all together I suspect, but that kinda defeats the idea of a lad’s trip over I suppose. It might be worth an email to the club, you never know.

• 32 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Tbf to Sissoko tge 100 mill was tongue firmly in cheek still another interview with him being linked away, he was asked directly about a transfer

Am not fussed if he leaves I get tired of him talking in the press understand why he wants away though

• 33 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Daragh, that price is mind blowing. I wouldn’t complain marra, I’d snap their hands off! 🙂 Not long enough to warrant paying other firm’s prices if you can get it that cheap. I honestly don’t see how they make a profit.

• 34 hibbit // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM

if sissoko could play as well as he talks we would have a world beater ….he thinks he is better then he is…. big softie if the truth be known not CL quality

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM

WWSBRD, He does like to discuss transfers a lot like, which is slightly disrespectful to his contract. I understand why he wants to play CL football and can’t knock it really, but we brought him out into the spotlight. Nice bargain like! Cheap as chips 🙂

• 36 hibbit // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM

any news on leeds ??

• 37 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Daragh, I just got this picture in my head of you and your mates flying out of that catapult over the Irish sea, trying to work out exactly when to pull the ripcord… 😉

• 38 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Hibbett, he was on yesterday, or the previous day.

• 39 Ron Knee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM

hibbit
    When did we last hear from him?

• 40 Ron Knee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Thanks, Bobby.

• 41 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Bobbybee
    He certainly does though he does get asked about it a lot however his answers are touching on disrespectful. I don’t really get the Sissoko hype tbh he’s alright and shone in our terrible team but he’s not great…he seems to see himself as our new Cabaye but he’s really not near that level for me

Price wise who knows we paid little in transfer fee for him but what about his signing on bonus?

• 42 hibbit // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM

thanks bobby must have missed him

• 43 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Bobby –

I’ve flown with them regularly. There flights are just one long ad! The trolleys are up and down, then the in flight perfumes etc, then the raffle tickets, then Hertz rental cars etc. They also charge a fortune if you forget to print tickets etc. Say what you like about Michael O’Leary he’s knows how to make money.

There’s a great joke about Michael O’Leary. He’s in the pub and orders a Guinness:
    MOL: Pint of Guiness please
    Barman: That’ll be €1
    MOL: Jayzuz, that’s very reasonable
    Barman: I see you don’t have a glass? You’ll be needing one. That will be another €3.
    (MOL looks annoyed but takes the drink)
    Barman: Will you be needing a seat? That’ll be an extra €2
    MOL: Those seats? I won’t fit in there?
    Barman: Well we have larger seats in the back but they will be €5.
    MOL: This is ridiculous, I want to see a manager
    Barman: Certainly, he is available on our every Monday between 9-9.10. All calls are €0.10 per min.
    MOL: I am never returning to this pub again
    Barman: That’s fine sir, but just remember we are the only pub offering pints for €1.

• 44 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:19 PM

WWSBRD. He’s on a decent contract as well, he should respect that – length wise anyway. He was only too happy to sign it. It’s definitely becoming tedious now and somebody needs to have a word about him bringing it up. Even if he’s asked he should say ‘I’m on a long contract with Newcastle right now and it would be disrespectful to the fans to keep talking up a move’. Mmm, now I’ve written it down it does appear unlikely! 😉

• 45 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Bobby, meself and Daragh on the same parachute saving money. Howay the laaaads !!

• 46 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Daragh, right, lol, didn’t realise mate, crafty bugger eh? There is always that catapult however 😉

• 47 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Munster, got a daft grin on my face now! 🙂

• 48 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Bobbybee
    True but he was probably sold us as a stepping stone club by Charnley and co so u can see why he talks himself up and he has seen nothing for NUFC to say we progressing to the level he wants to play at

• 49 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:31 PM

WWSBRD, anyway, can’t see him going this season with the Euro’s coming up, so no doubt this issue will be revisited many times before then. I still think he’s being disrespectful and needs to tone it down.

• 50 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Bobbybee
    No doubt every time he is in France it comes up. I agree though he is with us for at least another season no doubt in the summer his agent will blow smoke up him again about Cheksea, Man City and Arsenal

• 51 lesh // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM

If Sissoko’s touting himself about yet again, maybe it’s time the club told him to shut up!

• 52 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:43 PM

As for west ham next monday, I’d have Willo on the bench if big Andy is on their bench. Like him or not, nobody can say Willo hasn’t held it over him in previous matches. I’m not 100%, but I can’t remember AC scoring against us whilst being marked by Willo. Not sure he has scored come to that. Horses for courses etc. Willo knows how to mark the big lad and if he comes on against against Collo and Mbemba, we might have problems. Just my opinion obviously, but if Carroll plays, Willo has to play.

• 53 hibbit // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:44 PM

wwsbrd no matter what his agent says he is not good enough for chelsea or man city and who’s place would he take in the arsenal team it’s a forward they need

• 54 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Hibbett, I think if he wants CL football that badly, he’ll have to leave England to get it.

• 55 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM

hibbit
    I would agree but a Liverpool or Spurs team I can see him going too

• 56 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 5:51 PM

England U19’s drew today apparently. Arma took the captains armband in the 2nd half but didn’t score sadly.

• 57 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:09 PM

The U21 game v Arsenal at SJP on Friday night is one I’ll be attending. Should be interesting if nothing else. Might give us a clue to the line up on Monday night as well.

• 58 JamesToon // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Bobby lee

Although I agree Carroll has never scored with willo marking him, players like Zárate, Payet, Lanzini, Moses will run rings around willo

• 59 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Sissoko at it again I see..

No doubt about it, this lad wants out of NUFC. His form is hit and miss and he should of been sold and replaced with someone who genuinely has the hunger to play for us.

He can be canny on his day but he can really be over hyped at times.

Im happy we have not sold our players but I really don’t know why the club wanted to keep him beyond this summer.

• 60 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:40 PM

James, I can’t see AC starting, but if he comes on and they go route one, we’ll be in trouble without question. He might only get 15 mins as he’s been out for so long but he could cause damage in those 15 mins unless he’s marked properly. I don’t think Willo is as bad as he’s painted anyway. His mistakes just get highlighted more by people who like to blame somebody for all our defensive issues. Like everyone else, he’s looked better under Cathro’s supervision this season. I’ll probably get to judge better Friday night, as I imagine he’ll feature some time then.

• 61 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Ron Vlaar is not too old he is only 30 which for a centre back is no age.

However he is a total sick-note.

He makes Tayls look like Mr Superfit.

The fact that a pile of crap like Villa wouldn’t even give him a 12 monther tells you all you need to know.

• 62 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM

TP, apparently to build a team around!

• 63 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Toon Prodigy

I don’t know if it articles like this crock of Southern crap

that have influenced your opinion , but the Standard needs to employ a decent French speaker.

Sissoko was saying he prefers being in a club outside the big 4 because he has more chance of being noticed by his big admirer Didier Deschamps.

• 64 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Bobby,

Im just looking at headlines of “Sissoko thinks Palace are bigger than NUFC” and stuff, I can’t bare to even open them up and read them, the bloke is annoying everytime he talks.

I can’t even give him the benefit of the doubt of being misquoted with his ramblings because he knows exactly what he is saying and he should no better and have more respect I think.

Constantly reminding other so called “bigger” clubs that he is willing to jump ship. Prat.

• 65 cyprus // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Ed, if you and Steve are still looking for a CB pair, look at the Cyprus back two. If you find video evidence, you’ll see that they had Bale, Ramsey, Hazard, Benteke, De Bruyne et al, in their pockets!!!

Probably a couple grand a week will seal it.

• 66 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Jib, they would describe a move to Charlton as showing ambition, because they think the world ends at Watford and can’t understand why anybody would choose to live and work anywhere except London. Doesn’t stop them flocking up here for a full weekend when they play us or the mackems though, does it? Hypocrites 🙂

• 67 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Jib,

This has been going on a canny while with Sissoko, Colo had his head turned aswell by Palace aswell in the Summer.

Because of our lack of ambition under Ashley I think the mentality is quite clear within the squad. Small club, no ambition, just a stepping stone to better things. It’s no wonder we have been flirting with relegation with attidudes like this but the regime has caused it.

I hope it has all changed now with the changes made since the end of last season.

• 68 Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Extremes of opinion can make for an interesting read. Macca has arguably had a good look at the playing strength and as the season unfolds, fans might well have to revise their thinking on certain players. Already Tim Krul is being spoken of as a first class goalkeeper again – maybe simply because he’s played behind a steady well organised defence. In the team concept all Individuals should not be viewed in isolation.
    Mike Williamson is limited. His plus points are that he’s a big lad who is a trier, A player who can attack the ball in the air. I am aware that there are those who question this ability but he has more of a physical presence than most. In recent seasons we’ve capitulated far too often through having the likes of Mbiwa and Coloccini at CB and arguably still have not solved this obvious deficiency in the squad. I personally would rather Mike wasn’t a first choice but we do still need a big uglyon tap who can handle the rough and tumble. In the horses for courses PL maybe he will be more than a fourth-choice CB. As with Tim Krul, Williamson also played under Carver in a poor defence bereft of confidence. Coloccini when playing didn’t come in for anything like the stick that came Williamson’s way. Maybe we just love a scapegoat.

previous post: Newcastle Fans Expect This Finish In The League