The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Young Striker Shines For Newcastle

9:49 am, Monday, September 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 45 Comments

Newcastle United U-18s had a great 3-2 win at home to Manchester United on Saturday, with striker Lewis McNall scoring a hat trick and putting Newcastle 3-0 up, before the young Red Devils came back with two late goals to make the final score 3-2.

Generated by IJG JPEG Library

Lewis McNall celebrates after scoring first Newcastle goal

Newcastle played really well and were the better side for long stretches of the game and the final score of 3-2 is not representative of how good Newcastle were.

Callum Smith set up all three chances for McNall, as he scored a hat-trick of headers.

After the game coach Dave Watson was delighted with the performance of the youngsters:

“It’s great to see our striker McNall score a hat-trick with his head and it shows just how good our delivery and distribution was today,”

“Overall, I thought we were fantastic. For 85 or so minutes we pressed really well and stopped Manchester United from playing by not giving them any time on the ball.

“We know teams like Manchester United can hurt you if you give them time and space so the fact that we stopped that just goes to show how well we did.

“We showed really quality on the ball and our energy levels were excellent for the majority of the game.

“We’ve got a very young side but Dan Ward and Jack Hunter coming back from the under-21 squad gave us a big boost as they were excellent in the middle and their experience rubbed off on the rest of the team.”

“The final few minutes were disappointing from a coach’s perspective.” “To concede two late goals does put a slight dampener on things.”

“But when you put in the amount of energy we did today, you expect us to fade slightly toward the end.”

“Perhaps we should have killed the game off better than we did but to beat Manchester United at any level is a great achievement.”

“It’s been a good learning curve for the lads and hopefully they can push on from here.”

After the game Lewis McNall, who is an up and coming striker at Newcastle tweeted this.

It’s good to see the youngsters at Newcastle doing so well, and we’ll have to keep an eye on young Lewis McNall, as he comes through the ranks.

Note: A number of Newcastle fans organized by Callum Taylor are raising funds for the Refugees forced to leave war-torn countries like Syria. They will have some banners at the West Ham game.

See if you can support them at their pledge page here – thanks.

Tags: Lewis McNall · Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle U18

45 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Michu sounds like another striker who can’t accept the march of time , plus an interfering agent (there’s a shock !)

• 2 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM

With so many of the seniors away I wonder if there was any input for the U18’s from SM ?

• 3 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Welsh……a couple of threads back

Dont get defensive mate. To us Aussies, you lot are only one small step ahead of the infamy of being a new zealander.

Now they REALLY know how to shag sheep…….lol

• 4 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Dave Watson looks well happy

• 5 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:09 AM

They also REALLY know how to twat the Wallabies

• 6 martoon // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:09 AM

I have to be honest – I’ve never heard of this lad. Looking at the photos he looks tall and as all the goals were headers how long will it be before someone calls him ‘the next Andy Carroll’ 😉

• 7 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM

He is not especially tall and is good on the deck.

I think Dave Watson was stressing the quality of the balls the box as being most pleasing.

McNall had a good summer in Ireland.

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM

I think i hit a nerve there with expat.

Ha ha ha

• 9 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:30 AM

New Zealand 41-13 Australia
    I think I would keep me gob shut about Kiwis if was them.

• 10 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM

jib/jeff – hahaha —- you keeping your gob shut — don’t think you could do it.
    However – give it a shot – for a couple of weeks.

• 11 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Mr Tuff
    How did you eventually get back from France ?
    In the back of a lorry ?
    Tightfisted toerag.

• 12 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM

the offshoot of course would be that you have more time to prepare your lectures on Modern European history -you mentioned this some time ago.
    Your students must be waiting eagerly to hear some new lecture material- wink wink.

• 13 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Was speaking to lad at Newcastle Airport yesterday awaiting the baggage collection -at the carousel. (jib – that is a baggage carousel and not a fairground carousel). Anyway this lad was a Brazillian working in Newcastle for some automation company. Very clever lad, and had read some of the blog- he was concerned that Brazil could be thought of as a club team and retorted “in Newcastle you also have knackers.”
    F*****G Brazil United.
    Wat een vilder.

• 14 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Unfortunately true…….along with the British Lions and every other team the neanderthals play……lol

• 15 martoon // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Cheers Jib @7. He looks tall on the photo it must be the perspective!

• 16 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Not at all mate. I would imagine you probably feel like a swansea fan, bent double over a sheep fence waiting for a damn good shafting from a cardiff city fan……

• 17 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM

It is spelled Brazilian
    Brazillian is what follows a trillion according to GWBush
    Come to think of it , Tuffty you remind me of george dubya bush.

• 18 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Dont forget to email me that number

• 19 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM

expat – done.

• 20 cyprus // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM

last night. Cyprus lined up against the new world force, world n.2, Belgium.

How did they play them? Maybe defended for their lives, eventually succumbing to a late late Hazard goal, which started from an offside position? Did a recent NUFC heroic defending thing perhaps?

Well, no, absolutely not. They took on Belgium, full force, full pressure, full of confidence. Indicatively, at half time, possession was 48-52 with both teams having had exactly the same passes. Belgium had more chances, but Cyprus could’ve themselves finished it off.

Why do I write all this on an NUFC blog? Because I feel NUFC are playing too much like a League 1 vs. PL giant, recently. These people are full internationals, they should be able to give Swansea a game, surely.

I’m all for heroic results, but when the boat steadies, I want us to take the game to them, Steve. We ain’t Cyprus… and if we were, we would take on the Chelsea goalie, Kompany, Verthongen, Hazard, De Bruyn, Benteke, etc., etc. as if we owned them.

Tough luck Cyprus.

• 21 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:17 AM

jib/jeff – you do not remind me of any particular person called Bush. Just a bush -that’s all.

• 22 cyprus // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM

BTW, Wales-Swansea are themselves high flying underdogs: Respect. Glad they do so well.

• 23 welshgeordie9 // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Again is that the best you can do.

Feel so sorry for you.

• 24 welshgeordie9 // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM

They are looking very good at the moment, much stronger than last year which is quite frightening.

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Just a quicky, coz I’m busy. Just read a west ham website talking about their trip to SJP on Monday and how Carroll should be fit. If they turn up here on Monday and we turn up down there, do we win by default? How can a website dedicated to WHU get it so wrong? It’s on newsnow under ‘carroll available for Newcastle trip’. Bizarre! 🙂

• 26 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Dont feel sorry for me, Taffy

Your famous sense of humour appears to be on the wain……lol

• 27 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Expat – the team is called the British and Irish Lions, thank you.

• 28 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Just a thought , will our Serbian nutter collect more goals or bookings this season? I think he will get more cards .

• 29 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM

A fair point well made
    My favourite Lions captain ever was Willy John McBride from the emerald isle.

• 30 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:02 PM

My apologies.

• 31 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM

I think Mitro will get a bag full of goals the way our wings our shaping up – I hope the cards don’t match !

• 32 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM

our wings our shaping up. What does that mean.
    Oh oh I see “our wings ARE shaping up”.

• 33 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Expat, no worries mate. I do know the Irish fans used to get really pissed off in New Zealand and Australia when the tour was down there, and they are still habitually referred to as BL down there. A few tours back, Sky was bombarded by angry Irish viewers and had to make a hasty change to how the team was names. We are such sensitive souls, bless 🙂

• 34 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Jib, I reckon possinly more yellows. I mean if we allow for the red and yellow he has so far ( is that it ? ) …thats like 3 yellows, no goals. He probably wont get more than 12 goals this season ( he looks a bit awkward to me but i havent seen enough yet ) and will almost certainly get 10-15 yellows

• 35 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:28 PM

When they were out here last year in Melbourne, they were being advertised as only the British Lions

• 36 Jib // Sep 7, 2015 at 12:55 PM

• 37 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:15 PM

expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Dont feel sorry for me, Taffy

Your famous sense of humour appears to be on the wain……lol

expat – must have missed that post – tell me the date and the post number and I’ll check it out myself.

• 38 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Munster –

It doesn’t annoy me half as much as when the likes of Long are called “British”.

You heading to the match tonight?

• 39 expatmag // Sep 7, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Sometime around November 2012……lol

• 40 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM

What is the problem with calling people British?

The British Isles contain various national groupings including the English.

If the team was called the English Lions then I could understand the resentment.

• 41 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Nice to see another product of our youth system destined for lower league obscurity!!!

• 42 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Does that sound a ‘little’ negative. 😉

• 43 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Essex –

Because Irish people are not British. The term ‘British Isles’ is also heavily disputed. I don’t think a more detailed response should be required.

• 44 DaraghL // Sep 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Essex –

On topic, I would agree, it’s difficult to be optimistic about players in the U18’s as our academy has not delivered in recent years. For every Andy Carroll there are 20 others. It would be a source of great pride if Newcastle could replicate an academy on par with a side like Southampton.

• 45 Munster Mag // Sep 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Essex, I dont think most rugby players or fans in the 5 nations see Irish players as british isles , and it is a disputed term in its own right. They see the Irish players as bringing a different vibe to the mix and i think thats fair. Daragh, its years since i was at an Irisg football match mate. Am hoping to bring my daughter to Limk v Wexford in the u21 hurling final on sunday though!

previous post: Next Three Games Are Crucial For Newcastle