The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

England Money Now Helping German Youngsters Develop

3:09 pm, Tuesday, September 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

There may be some worries in the other European Football Leagues that the best players will be gradually moving into the English Premier League, simply because of the vast amounts of money being paid out by the Premier League via the world-wide TV rights over at least the next four years.

The current deal is worth £3B over three years which ends next summer, and then the new three year deal is a massive £5.1B over the three years starting in 2016.

joachim Lowe

Joachim Lowe – no wonder he’s smiling

Joachim Lowe, the long serving Germany head coach believes that all the money the Premier League clubs are getting will only benefit German football, and that’s because a lot of that money is being invested in German youth football.

This is what Joachim has said of Premier League clubs buying players from the Bundesliga:

“That helps make the German national team stronger because in the last few years £100M has been put back into youth development.”

“That money has been used to make the standard of young players better.” “The English will have to face up to the fact their young players don’t get the minutes for their clubs.”

“That is why the English national team hasn’t set the world alight.”

It’s a good point that Joachim makes, and it ‘s one the FA is already well aware of,  because it’s very difficult for young English players – or make that English players in general – of playing regularly in the Premier League,  when so many foreign players have been brought in from all over the world.

At one time back in the olden days,  only English players played in the Football League,  but that started to change during the 1970s.

It’s a problem for the FA as to how young English players come through the ranks and get playing time,  and the best chance is playing in the Football League.

Two of our most promising youngsters – striker Adam Armstrong and goalkeeper Freddie Woodman – are getting valuable first team experience at Coventry and Crawley respectively, and both are doing well.

It’s a good point that Joachim makes,  although England currently have the best qualifying record of all countries for next year’s Euro 2016 in France, having won all our games in our group.

Of course we often do well in the group stages,  but when the finals get under way too many English players seem to play way below their best form, when it really counts.

That seems a measure of mental strength, which has been weak in English teams over the last few decades – we always disappoint in the big tournaments.

But once upon a time we had the players who could produce when it mattered.

Back in 1966, players like Gordon Banks. Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton used to play at their best when in the England shirt.

And of course Geoff Hurst got a hat trick in the final of the 1966 World Cup, when we hammered West Germany 4-2 after extra time in that Wembley final.

It was a definite advantage that we played in England in those 1966 World Cup finals – no doubt about that – but as Brazil proved last year and Germany in 2006, it’s not always a home banker.

What do you think?

Tags: Contracts · England News · Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · World Cup

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 bettyswallocks // Sep 8, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Austin In

• 2 bettyswallocks // Sep 8, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Heard from a good source that we were going to make a serious attempt to sign Berahino until he changed agents.

• 3 barkel // Sep 8, 2015 at 3:42 PM

In my opinion England can do so well in qualifiers because they’re usually the top seeds and the rest of their group aren’t very strong. When they get to the finals they meet the really good teams and they’re not used to playing such competitive teams. In their current group they only competition is from a decent Swiss team.

• 4 WWSBRD // Sep 8, 2015 at 3:44 PM

We don’t actually disappoint at tournaments we just fall short of people’s expectations which is different

As a country we are actually pretty much on par for where we should be

• 5 WWSBRD // Sep 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM

As for this England puts the league above national football…which allows us to have the best league in the world and although it’s not ideal I’d rather that than what Spain have or even Germany

• 6 the truth will out // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:02 PM

england could not set the world alight even with firelighters and petrol and london lights

• 7 jayphoto // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:18 PM

question for everyone
    would you rather watch
    a) The premier league with the worlds best players.. or
    b) an England team that would be capable of going to a world cup final….

• 8 barkel // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:36 PM

– Being Irish I would have to answer a

But for me I would much rather have a national team that can win something rather than a great league

• 9 barkel // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:36 PM

… although the worlds best players don’t even play in the premier league right now

• 10 WWSBRD // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Tough one because there is a lot wrong with the league but I’d have that over international strength boost. Knock out football anything can happen tbf I think England have done a lot to sort out an English future so tough to judge for another 5-10 years time

I’d argue on the best players thing like PL is certainly up there for best players

• 11 barkel // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:56 PM

perhaps there are a few but put together the world best XI’s premier league vs the rest of the world and I know who my money would be on

• 12 WWSBRD // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Rest of the world includes a hell of a lot of leagues mate bit unfair to put 1 vs 100s

• 13 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM

A large portion of the worlds best. including the 5 best IMO play for Barca, Madrid & Bayern; however it is the best league for players as Palace have Cabaye, we have Wijnaldum, Stoke have Shaqiri etc. Wouldn’t see that in the other leagues.

• 14 barkel // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:07 PM

True, it’s obviously a much bigger pool of players to choose from but is that not the point?

Ok how about a worlds best, playing any formation you fancy, how many of them honestly play in the premier league?

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:13 PM

c) something in between!

I think the current model and the direction it’s going is not good for the young kids (both in England and abroad)

They get paid to much in the PL at a young age and not many English kids – if any – get their football education abroad!

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Thought ur point was best players in the world don’t play in the pl? My argument being that pl vs other leagues individually more than measures up

Worlds best 11 is a different argument plus it’s all opinions Hazard, Costa, Fab, Terry Pedro and Matic on form have a shout of being in the worlds best squad and that’s 1 club.

Talking world class players the PL has a whole lot

• 17 jayphoto // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:24 PM

@Jesper – one of the problems is the national team are quite arrogant. The championship in England is rated in the top 6 competitive leagues in Europe I believe. Its fast, increasingly more technical with some good players and big clubs. More importantly there are a lot of English players playing a lot of minutes!
    Portugal, Holland, Argentina, USA, Brazil have no problem picking from there own leagues which are around championship level give or take a couple of dominating teams.
    Costa Rica played England off the park with players barely above professional and Uruguay regularly include players from the Uruguay league. As do Colombia.

• 18 jayphoto // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:29 PM

not saying Roy should go and pick 10 championship players mind. Just saying sometimes a good team isn’t made up of the best players!
    Rather than pick players like delph who aren’t going to get the minutes or a run of form from the top 4, there are players like Dunk who is for me as good as an ageing Jagielka.
    One of the other things is why are England the only team too good to pick players from the MLS?? Even Italy have called up players over there! Defoe never got a look in when he was in Canada, not saying brad wright-Phillips should be called up but I bet hes not even been scouted

• 19 barkel // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:32 PM

The original point was that in my opinion the best players in the world play in other leagues.

I thought putting it as a world XI would be the best way to highlight that point, I did concede that perhaps a few PL players might make a world XI best.

I will agree with you that as for all round competition with squads, the prem probably is one of the strongest.

On an individual basis player for player in a starting 1-11, the majority would be from other leagues. That’s how I would measure the best players. If you can pick any player in the world for a position that would be most likely the best player.

• 20 Bobbybee // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Talking about England, we scored 300 v the aussies. Taylor got 102 i think. Decent score but a higher one looked on at one stage. Wicket might be slowing down, so another good chase is on.

• 21 WWSBRD // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:42 PM

But u can say that about any league, I think it’s unfair to judge a league on a world 11 and as I say it’s all opinions, for instance I’d have Aguero in my world 11 but many wouldn’t

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM

I used to go to the old wembley in the 70’s and 80’s to follow England, but I’m far more into club football than internationay. Newcastle to win the PL or England the WC and there really is no competition – the Toon every time. I still want England to win, obviously, but it ‘s secondary to how the lads do. Are more fans like me, or is there more who would like England to win the WC first? There’s a poll for you Ed! 🙂

• 23 Bobbybee // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:50 PM

International even! 😉

• 24 Bobbybee // Sep 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Back when I was a lad they used to have games like English league v Scottish league, where any player, regardless of nationality, could play for the league he was in. English v Spanish, or German, would be interesting now. Not sure how many English players would get in the team now though.

• 25 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:04 PM

I lived darn sarf late 70’s early 80’s and used to regularly attend the old Wembley to watch the most hopeless era of English international participation. Back then we were given footballing lessons by Belgium, Spain and Switzerland, doesn’t sound to harsh does it but believe me they were not the institutions they are now. Belgium and Spain were decidedly also-rans and the Swiss were job carriers, cheese makers and postmen and nothing more. I barely remember anything more than Phil Neal was adjudged fit enough to wear the shirt and pass the ball sideways until he fell over with vertigo. I wasted a lot of money watching the worst era of English national football.

• 26 Bobbybee // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Tsunki, I used to run a coach to the England games back then. Crowds like 25k for the like of Wales, which would fill it now probably. I used to stand opposite the Tunnel end usually and remember introducing the England fans to ‘sing your heart out for the lads’. 🙂 There was just too much bickering between the London fans who couldn’t seem to grasp that it was an England match and not about club rivalries.

• 27 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Mr Tsunki- did you see Super Mac – Malcolm Macdonald score 5 against Cyprus at Wembley?

• 28 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Ha just jeffed it and it was indeed 1981 vintage year that. We had the not very pacy but technically joyous to watch trev brooking, the most accurate long range passer I’ve seen to date in hoddle. I always thought Peter Barnes of Man City should have got more playing time but I suppose nothing has changed, daft subs back then, favourites stuck to etc. Kk was a dynamo but the team strangely didn’t come up to the sum of it’s parts.

• 29 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:23 PM

I googled and it would have been before your time in London. It was 1974.

• 30 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Ian it would have been a crumb of comfort but I managed to hit the most dire and generally inexplicable run of results we ever really got for many years. Strangely it was against some lower order teams we struggled badly. But years either side of that we played some decent stuff at times.

• 31 Bobbybee // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Back to the cricket before the footy starts. As for tonight, 3-1 win.

• 32 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM

We lost to ManCity in League cup final 2-1 at Wembley. Half of our team had the flu in week leading up to game. You have the same experiences though following the toon as Jimmy Smith. He was a maverick but a jinky midfield maestro but not as good as Tony Green I am reliably informed.
    WerE you still in Newcastle to watch the Fairs Cup in late 1960’s.

• 33 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:38 PM

It was Reading actually, and I was down there around 75

• 34 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:41 PM

No I watched that game as a very young lad in a London hotel with my dad on the first colour telly I ever saw, green and red bars all over it lol but an experience nonetheless. No idea why I was there.

• 35 welshgeordie9 // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM

I see that shelvey is playing tonight, to be honest though it is to be expected as he is England’s best player.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:55 PM

I read the Charnley offering to the press with interest. All well and good Lee but it doesn’t mention the fact that we did nothing for 2 windows and got steadily weaker vs the rest of the Prem over that time. The money was spent fairly well although the jury must still be out on the most recent crop of incoming. The proof is in the pudding however. Will we advance a decent way in at least one cup and will we rise above 10th in the league? A lot more needs to be done after 8 years of a pathetic owner.

• 37 Graeme // Sep 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Ian Toon @ 32 – I watched that match, the last time I was at Wembley I think. Great day out, shame about the result though!!
    The Fairs Cup final in 69 was an amazing game as well.
    Rangers in the Semi – I got my new anorak spray painted, in the Leazes that night as well – barsteward sweaties lol

• 38 the truth will out // Sep 8, 2015 at 7:03 PM

so you thunk

• 39 welshgeordie9 // Sep 8, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I know.

• 40 the truth will out // Sep 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM

in your eyes maybe a true swans fan eh

• 41 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 7:20 PM

You read nothing with interest
    You are a sad Heaton reject
    You and Canada deserve each other
    The owner may be pathetic but so are you

• 42 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 8, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Jay…I do get what you mean but why doesn’t more kids in the UK go abroad?

…for me that is what really separate England from the likes of Portugal, Holland, Argentina, USA, Brazil !

previous post: Newcastle Star Has No Thoughts Of Leaving Tyneside