The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Tony Mowbray Eyes Another Top Newcastle Teenager

10:39 pm, Tuesday, September 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Adam Armstrong has made a terrific start to his six month loan spell at Coventry City, scoring five goals in his first three games and being named the League One Player of the Month for August.

And it looks like Coventry manager Tony Mowbray is so pleased with what he’s seen of  Adam, that he’s looking at another Newcastle youngster and has had Alex Gilliead at the Ricoh Arena, to take a look at the 19 year-old winger.

Alex Gilliead of Newcastle United U18

Alex Gillead – Coventry interested?

Alex plays for the England U20 side, and has been training at Coventry with a view that he could go on loan there at some point after the emergency loan window opens tomorrow.

Tony Mowbray had this to see about Alex:

“Alex has gone back for now.”  “He was with us for a week or two but wasn’t allowed to play any games because it was in a hectic period of Saturday(and Tuesday, Saturday and Tuesday and a lot of the training was game preparation.”

“So I didn’t see him play in a game, so he went off with the U-20s and I said I’d watch him play for them and in some U-21 games back at Newcastle.”

“I’ll keep an eye on him really. He’s a very, very fast wide player and Adam obviously knows him very well because they’ve played in the same team together for a while with Newcastle U21s.”

It may take some time before Tony makes a decision on Alex, but as he says,  Gillead has already played a lot with Adam, and therefore he could link up well with the young striker,  if he was sent on loan to Coventry.

And if Alex does go on loan, either at Coventry or with another Football League club it would be very good for him, so he gets some first team games under his belt.

It does seem that Steve McClaren is a big believer in sending out the Newcastle’s top youngsters on loan, which is what the top clubs do to bring their youngsters through the ranks.

Alex Gillead was born in Shotley Bridge in County Durham, and he signed scholarship forms with Newcastle in the summer of 2012.

He’s a very good young player and has represented England at U16, U17, U18 and U20 levels.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Alex Gilliead · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Tsunki and Dok

First off it’s caterwauling.

Second I had a pop at the Danish dickhead (who spouts arrant nonsense most of the time) and told Toonking he was talking bollix (which in my humble he was)

So how is that caterwalling (maybe that’s right in the states) against everyone and blog bullying .

You lot are so precious – what a bunch of big girlies !

Band B is twice the man of either of you two.

• 2 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Jeff you never disappoint.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Did we not have a situation before where accounts were being hacked, we had a welshies sheep etc and Jib was apparently being hacked, the new jeff/Jib knows how to post links to his own photos and throw Sunglasses into the smiley mix ???

• 4 toonking // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:00 PM

I was sort of thinking i might as well attempt to break the record for the most consecution amount of posts made without having others between, you described yourself like that saturday night- sunday morning i think.

BTW jibs before you say i’m talking bollix you need come up with a valid reason for me to be talking rubbish, me and most regular bloggers will deem you the one talking bollix for now go speak with your clan of multi accounts and toobrothers.

• 5 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM

hmmmm Einstein, by calling jesper “the Danish dickhead”….

god get a glass of water and to bed with you,

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Does anyone else on here know how to post a link to a photo of our own, very impressive Jib

• 7 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Toonking oh I see.

Well I think I will retire, jeff has done his usual Wile E Coyote, and while he rummages through the box of dynamite sticks for the lit one, I spare a thought for Ian, those tyre track marks are hard to wash out of those white robes.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM

I thought you were the same age as me, I didn’t realise you were a bit older !

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM

You lot should be on that annoying daytime show.

Loose women.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:19 PM

You should be on that welsh channelll, LLWWLLLannLoyin twaLLWWt

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Jeff…again, no one on here speaks monkey!

• 12 Offkey // Sep 9, 2015 at 12:24 AM

So what have I missed……jib getting slightly more aggressive, Ian attempting to manipulate others through his self-victimisation……some things never change

• 13 jimmysmith // Sep 9, 2015 at 2:32 AM

I hope Armstrong extends his stay and fires them back where they belong, and maybe stays another year to gain further experience in the hurly burly of the Championship, which is a significantly higher standard. And if we can get a few others in there too and along for the ride, well and good. You’ve gotta feel for Coventry. 35 unbroken years in the top flight, and ten years later in administration, and still apparently reduced to asking a teenager on loan if he’s got any mates who fancy a game.

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 9, 2015 at 5:40 AM

Offkey…you didn’t miss anything! The International weekend is taking its toll on Jeff…he has alot to struggle with as it is!

On Armstrong, if he keeps banging ’em in at Christmas I hope we will consider finding a bigger challenge for him. That’s the only way he’ll improve.

• 15 Thump // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:14 AM

@offkey: Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, mate.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Congratulations to Rooney on breaking the goalscoring record, but I’m pleased that brings an end to the international break. Back to the real issue of club football. Just annoying we have to wait until Monday.

With only 6 of the first team squad away on international duty then there should have been plenty of time for working with the remaining first team players.

West Ham haven’t been convincing at home so far, losing to Bournemouth and Leicester. Hopefully these past two weeks have seen continued work on organisation at the back, but also work on playing and pressing higher up the pitch. This needs to be incorporated into our play asap, otherwise we will struggle all season. It is something both McClaren and Cathro have implemented in the past, so fingers crossed.

On Gilliead when I saw him in the Nike Cup he looked a very skilful and talented kid at the time. Very slight though, and from pictures he doesn’t seem to have filled out as he aged – still just 19 mind. A loan to Coventry would be good, I think he is out of contract come the summer, so it would be good for him and the club to get him some game time, even if there is no desire to extend his stay here. He was very highly rated, but another who seems to have fallen off the cliff a little after progressing to Beardsley’s ‘Development’ squad.

Get him some game time at Coventry, and then he can pick up a decent club in the summer – or develop and come back here for another chance.

• 17 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:05 AM

There is talk of De Jong and Perez starting against West Ham and maybe having Cisse on the bench.

Who would you take out for De Jong if this is the case?

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:25 AM

It depends on what it means by De Jong and Perez starting up front. As an orthodox 2? As a wide forward and a central striker? As a withdrawn striker and an out and out front man

I’d imagine as a number 10, just behind so for me that means Colback or Anita miss out with Wijnaldum dropping into the central midfield role. At least it would indicate a willingness to start playing further up the pitch.

• 19 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Tsunki- I apologise. I got it wrong- you read the situation correctly. The dog analogy and the irony of the situation are duly noted. I ask you to consider though a child pulling the dogs tail and the dog re-acting.
    Maybe temperamently a work in progress. I respect your opinion.

• 20 Santon03 // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:30 AM

As long as we have good discipline and playing with 11, I believe we could get a good result.
    So far we lose because we play those games with 10 players.

• 21 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:32 AM

According to this mornings Shields Gazzete online
    Cissé is starting monday night

• 22 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Gazette even

• 23 Santon03 // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Cisse or Perez, I pick Perez.

• 24 firebug666 // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:38 AM

I think we need to have a change in formation, and be more adventurous in attack.

To win games risks have to be taken, and I am starting to think McClaren is falling into the trap of defending from the start and trying to nick a goal on the counter attack.

We are NOT putting the other teams under pressure, instead we are the ones who seem to be on the back foot in every game, and I think that has to do with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

When we played 4-3-3 with the inept one in charge we managed to finish 5th, but since that season we have played 4-2-3-1 and have struggled in almost every game.

Against West Ham I would like to see more than just changes in personnel.

Maybe go with a 4-4-2

We need to start wining some game and the time has come to go for it.

• 25 Santon03 // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:38 AM

I will go for Gourcuff and Eboue.

• 26 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Lilongwe-the happy ammers bought / loaned well in the window. I rate Victor Moses. I am going to the game so let’s hope we are more ambitious.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:43 AM

We were a goal behind to Swansea and being comfortably outplayed with 11 men on the field. We were just as lucky as we were organised and determined against Man U, and who knows with the Arsenal game, but with 11 a draw would have been considered a good result.

We can certainly get something out of the West Ham game but we have to show more intent and press higher than we have in any of our games so far.

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:53 AM

I wouldn’t say McClaren is falling into the trap just yet. He came in to a very disorganised defence that didn’t work as a unit. They have focussed on trying to fix that issue as best they can – build on solid foundations and all that. Hopefully from there we will start to move the team forward.

I don’t have a problem with the 4231 formation, it is about how you operate it and work with it. 4231 easily becomes a 433 in attack, and a 451 in defence. It is the transitions in play that we struggle with, we don’t transition from defence to attack well enough. I think bringing De Jong in will indicate increased willingness to play further forward.

Still, with what we have I’d like to see us more adventurous Thauvin and Perez either side of Cisse (Mitrovic when available) with De Jong in behind and Gini partnering Colback/Anita in the deeper central role.

Fingers crossed. These next 2 games are going to be important indicators of where McClaren has got the squad so far. The Hammers had a decent window, Antonio will be interesting to watch and Moses is direct and quick. I’d have liked to see Moses here as one of our wide men, but not to be.

Hopefully you will enjoy the game.

• 29 JamesToon // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Hope SM goes with that lineup and a 4-4-2

• 30 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:59 AM

I think the Toon is lightyears away from a Shefqi Kuqi scenario
    However ——
    for those like that stuff , here is a list of players in Europe out of contract.

• 31 firebug666 // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:06 AM

I think you are right about the transition from defence to attack, but that formation has just never worked for us.

When we come out onto the pitch now it seems to be with the mindset of weathering the storm for the first 20 minutes and try to hit them on the break, or force our way back into the game.

I would prefer us to come out with all guns blazing and taking the game to them from the first whistle until the last.

When we sit back we come under pressure, and from that moment the opposition gain in confidence, and we struggle to get out of our own half. The thing is we have the players who have the ability to win game to turn a game on it’s head, but they always seem to be restricted, either by team mates or the formation, tactics.

This is why I think we need a change, formations should change anyway depending on who is playing, so we play to their strengths and confuse the opposition.

Personally I don’t think our players a suited to the 4-2-3-1 formation.

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Until we ship players out who are in the named squad then we can’t bring anyone in – unless they are Under 21. We named the full compliment of 25, I presume if one leaves on loan then we can replace them, although I’m not 100% certain on that – it would mean we couldn’t recall them to play if we did though.

• 33 Santon03 // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:06 AM

West ham seems to be winning against less physical opponents like arsenal and liverpool, we are not strong physically. I hope SM has a plan, maybe like stopping their wingers and wb from crossing and force them to play through middle.

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:11 AM

But the fact we sit back and weather the storm isn’t about formation. It is about the mentality and the way the players have been instructed to play. All formations are defensive if you send the players out with a defensive mindset and mentality, likewise all formations are attacking if you send them out to attack.

• 35 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:19 AM

I believe Mitrovic is named as an U21

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:20 AM

He is as is Mbemba, but we still have a full 25 named squad.

• 37 firebug666 // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:20 AM

I have to agree that is part of it. But even when we do get out of our half we are weak in attack, most players tend to hang back.

I will concede that is slowly changing and we are getting some crosses into the box, but we are not an attacking force yet.

I just think a change in formation will give our players more freedom to get forward, and give us more of an attacking threat.

It’s great that they have now told the defenders that they have to stop the little round thing from going into the net, but they also need to point out that we need to put the little round thing in the other net, and to do that we need to be at the other end of the pitch.

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:28 AM

I’d like to see us push our wide players higher up, but they would have to work back. Again, the players hanging back is more the mentality rather than the formation.

Bring De Jong into the Number 10, and drop Gini deeper automatically gives us greater attacking intent. Push Perez and Thauvin slightly higher to give extra support and pin the opposition full backs in their half and we will see more attacking intent.

That is subtle changes that I hope they make as we move forward, and once they have resolved organisational issues within the defence. I’d hope that they have been working on these things during the international break given only 6 players were away.

• 39 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:34 AM

I’m not sure SdJ is a 90 minute man yet.

Which brings us to the big conundrum away from home.

Do you start like a train hoping to nick 1 or 2 goals then hang on OR fight for a draw until half time then bring players on when theirs have tired and nick the goals at the end ?

• 40 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Lil, not sure, but I thought you could have as many home grown players as you wanted under 21? Not sure where I got that from, but it seems to be echoing in my noggin.

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Why one or the other? Why not aim to start strongly and then bring players on to keep our level high? Sissoko on for De Jong in the second half, Anita and Colback taking turns – or Tiote. Aarons on out wide. Options are there to start well and keep it up.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Sorry, you have me confused. You can have as many under 21’s as you want, regardless of nationality. Not sure what that is in reference to.

My earlier post is related to Jib’s list of free agents. We named a full squad of 25, so we can only bring in Under 21’s unless someone from the named 25 man squad leaves. If someone left eg. Gouffran, then we would be able to bring in a free agent over the age of 21, but that would then stop us recalling Gouffran. However I am unsure on whether players named in the 25 that go on emergency loans are taken out of the 25, or remain in it.

• 43 toonincheek // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Can we make revisions to the named 25-man squad before January?
    I thought we could not.