The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Two Newcastle Players Most Likely To Be Loaned Out

9:48 am, Tuesday, September 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 68 Comments

There are a number of Championship clubs only too willing to offer Yoan Gouffran an opportunity to go out on loan during the emergency loan window, and it seems that the experienced Yoan and Mike Williamson will be in the most demand when the window opens tomorrow.

Yoan Gouffran +Newcastle+United+v+Northampton+A4QRupYSitMl

Yoan Gouffran in action against Northampton in League Cup

Gouffran played a lot and was a favorite of Alan Pardew’s, because of a couple of things – his versatility and his willingness to work hard and track back for the team.

The 29 year-old Frenchman could certainly do a job for a Championship club, and it’s expected that Hull City and Nottingham Forest are the two clubs most likely to try to get him on loan.

Mike Williamson has been at Newcastle for over five and a half years now, and he has come under some criticism from Newcastle fans recently because of his poor form earlier this year under John Carver.

But Mike is a good professional, and we’ve found in the past when he looks to be down and out at Newcastle he usually comes back with some good performances.

If a good Championship club picks him up in this window, he could certainly do a good job for them, and with his contract running out next summer,  he will be looking for a new club.

We’d be surprised if Steve McClaren lets both Jamaal Lascelles and Mike Williamson go out on loan, because then we’d be short at center-back, so it’s probably going to be one or the other.

In the case of Yoan Gouffran, who still has two years left on his contract at Newcastle. it’s a good opportunity for him to try to get a future club lined up.

With the Internationals finishing today, we’ll soon be hearing from Steve McClaren (hopefully), and we have a game on Monday night at West Ham, which is a game we must go all out to win and start to climb the league table.

We didn’t win in the league last season until the eighth game against Leicester City at home, and we have to do better than that this season.

Only 2 points in four games is not particularly a good start, and we need to start picking up some wins in the next few games.

Three wins in a row in the next three games at West Ham, Watford at home and Sheffield Wednesday at home in the League Cup would be very nice.

We’re still just a little worried about our complete and utter collapse last season, and we certainly don’t want to be struggling with relegation again.

That would be the third season out of the last four if that happens.

That would be really hard to take, but West Ham have been vulnerable at home even though they have had tremendous wins at Arsenal and Liverpool on the road.

There’s not much new news about Newcastle today.

Tags: Loan Moves · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News · Yoan Gouffran

68 responses so far ↓

• 1 geordie157 // Sep 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM

We’ve also got Woolston and Pearson on loan at Gateshead for a month.
    I’d like to see a few youngsters go out ie sterry, barlaser,roberts, gilliead

• 2 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Repost (Thanks Ed!)
    Although it is called Emergency Loan Window it appears to me that Championship and League 1 & 2 clubs can bend the rules and use it for additional loans. Whereas it seems very strict for PL clubs i.e. only Goalkeepers for short periods.

• 3 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Do they still count as members of the 25-mn squad if they are out on emergency loan?

We are required to have a minimum of eight homegrown players in the squad, and we have nine.

Lascelles, Williamson, Bigirimana and Elliot are all members of the 25-man squad.

• 4 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM

“There’s not much new news about Newcastle today.”
    Maybe time for a Charlie Austin or Andy Carroll story eh Ed 🙂

• 5 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:02 AM

BandB @3 – That’s a good point – I suppose the crux is if the player was named in your squad and goes on loan can he remain in your squad. Time for some Googling – now who do we know that is good at that??? 😀

• 6 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Martoon,

To be fair to Jib, he does sometimes trawl up some interesting stuff.
    The question about homegrown players and the rules on emergency loans for premier league clubs may be worth stating, but I fear we are making a spoilsport point as far as the blog is concerned.
    The blog could have been flying now with speculation and bust-ups about who should come in and who should go.

• 7 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:26 AM

And I imagine I’ll be bottom now for a fair while 🙂

• 8 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:43 AM

I’m happy to be at the bottom, given that I reside down under…

• 9 davetoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Dont see the point in sending Williamson out on loan. His wages cant be that much and he should be starting cup games to give Collo a rest.

• 10 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM

BandB – Quiet today?
    I’m afraid I failed in my attempt to take the Goolgemeister crown – I can’t find a clarification of the squad rule anywhere.
    However as the Emergency Loan system is for home grown players only I think it can be assumed they would remain part of you squad even if loaned out under this system otherwise many clubs would be in danger of falling foul of the minimum home grown players rule.

• 11 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM

And come to think about it surely that means Gouffran can’t be loaned out as Ed mentions in his article?

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM

davetoon,
    No point whatsoever in loaning him out, if anything he should have been sold and an experienced player brought in who wouldn’t necessarily be first choice, Lescott with another two years in him would have been ideal, we’d know by then if Good and Lascelles would have come through and if not we’d then have to fork out on a player to partner Mbemba.

• 13 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:54 AM

derek: a goodfootball website is:

• 14 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Why, why, why ed do my posts not appear???????

• 15 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Let ‘ em Gooooo
    Let ‘ em Goooooooooo

Gouffran has had all the fight and desire leeched out of him by the last lot, he doesn’t know what position is his or how to play it any more. And then there’s Williamson.

• 16 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Hello TFL! Maybe Ed’s trying to write you off. Hang in there son!

• 17 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 8, 2015 at 10:59 AM

ahaa, worked that time. Must be the link. FOA Derek, a good site for watching football live and recorded, fuul and highlights is livesoccertv dot commmm.

• 18 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Loan schmoan this has to be the blog doldrums.
    Yaaaaawwwn

• 19 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:02 AM

He wants to get Kodi on and the RH project and metal kettle add ons, as recommended by reilly I think it was. Good call. I’m thinking of getting a spiffy android box myself.

• 20 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:03 AM

I thought this was a good post from an underrated blogger- earlier and worthy of a re post
    57Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 7:20 AM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.
    The team rebuild is a work in progress.
    Surmising and getting wound up about individual players is a fruitless exercise.
    We have been told many times it is a multi window job.

It is a case of whether one trusts the coaching team or not , personally I do.

On the road to improvement there will be shocks , fans favourites may be sacrificed , and vice versa , unpopular players used , the coaches work with them every day and know what they are seeing ……………………………… We gave the last lot (all be it under protest) 4 years we can give this lot half that time without demur surely.

• 21 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I’m not TFL, but have a similar Chancel pun name, maybe I should change it. Don’t wnat to be known as an evil multiple already.

• 22 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Ian he’s an underrated Googler and a complete tool is jeff. It has the look and feel of a sensible post and would be under virtually anyone else’s flag. Just another pointless bit of condescension. So why are you reposting it? Why don’t you compile a list of his howlers, where he attempted to demean or derail another posters’ point but then got himself blown up by backfire – you’d be spoiled fir choice.

• 23 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Oops chancel ha ha sorry wasn’t paying attention. Again. 🙂

• 24 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:15 AM

BandB…you can register players before both windows closes so if both Willo and Gouf have been registered by NUFC then they are a part of 25 player squad.

• 25 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Chancel be a fine thing @13 – If you have more than 1 link in your post it is held up for moderation. In that case split your post into sections – one with each link and you should be fine.

• 26 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Tsunki( keeps coming up Tsunami – maybe it’s a message)- Maybe because I judge on my own definition of merit and think one should play the ball and not the man.
    The post in question was in line with what I had posted over recent times.
    People are different not necessarily always difficult. In many ways he’s a lot more honest than those engendering sophistry of the highest/ lowest order.
    You have the experience of having lived through Saint and Greavsie – when I was reading through an article on Jimmy Greaves , I had to google it. Knowledge is power mate, don’t knock it.
    We all give people we like the benefit of the doubt in certain situations I try to judge on merit and then give them the etc- LOL.
    We had a popular blogger recently referring to another blogger as an ” arrested development type” – this went unnoticed. Highly offensive and through a level of intelligence a simple euphemism it was masked on a football blog.
    Not everything is black and white. I have a natural tendency to support those being ganged up on and bullied in the real world. I am the youngest child and everyone looked after me- hope you see this as just another opinion.

• 27 lesh // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Now then Chancel bonny lad. How’s tha gannin on?

If your worried why your posts aren’t getting out, maybe you give yourself more pseudonyms – like what Jib/ Jane does – he/she/it seems to get away with it.

You’d be easily identified because unlike other multi-egos, you don’t post tripe!

Hang in there bonny lad.

😉

• 28 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Ian I laud your empathy but it’s wholly misdirected as far as Jeff/Jib, who despite his limo protestation is one and the same.

There’s nothing honest about him and as for insults is given to spontaneous and demeaning outbursts with little or no provocation save disagreement or pointing out his mean-spirited attempts to derail other posters, which he does undeterred by such attempts frequently blowing up in his face.

You’re backing the wrong horse.

• 29 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Limp protestation. I don’t know if he has a limo or not.

• 30 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM

In fact Ian, your admirable support would be better served if given to many of Jeff/Jibs recipients.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Second triumvate or axis of evil, history will judge !

• 32 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Tsunki- I am not trying to win a popularity contest. You could make a strong case for him being targeted by the usual suspects. This in itself encourages me from personal experience not to believe a word of it.
    In your world you doubtless don’t like everyone you work with but find some common link or simply have respect for their ability. I find older posters behaving like kids simply not funny because my experience is of with age comes wisdom. Each to his own. I respect your opinion.

• 33 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Add to that the implication that jeffs ‘treatment’ is somehow indicative of a bullying culture is also unfounded. He only appears to be the victim because his spiteful behaviour is constantly exposed.

• 34 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Jeff is probably the greatest football search engine one the web. The software mabe performs differently when sober/drunk/hungover.

• 35 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM

So, I don’t like anyone I work with? Tough when you’re self-employed!

And I’m an older poster behaving like a kid? Hmmm. Perhaps the wisdom you speak of is not yours quite yet, as you haven’t built the experience to sniff out such characters as easily, and naivety lends your support to such ones. Until of course they inevitably do that thing that throws you under the bus.

• 36 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Bandit country
    starts right there
    The line of
    demarcation’s where
    I get up from my chair.

Owe you nothing,
    want zip back
    if you can’t make it
    on your own
    you’re just rats in a sack.

I’m not waiting,
    I won’t walk
    Think we should be on
    the same side?
    Well, that’s just crazy talk.

I’ll do my job;
    you do yours
    Tomorrow I
    expect my train
    with open double doors

• 37 Tsunki // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM

I’ll hand it to j eff, if he stuck to his search capability he would be an asset. As it is he falls just short 🙂

• 38 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Ed, sees the blog as being self regulating. I am not lending my support to anyone. Dirty tricks are rife on the blog, just last weekend we had the trail of someone coming back from holiday, all that was missing was a red carpet and a brass band – why single him out. He’s maybe more easily detected.
    For the record I was not viewing you as a usual suspect or an older man.

• 39 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Just because there is an emergency window – doesn’t mean we have to use it does it ?

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Ian Toon,
    You’re attempts to be the voice of reason and beacon of maturity might be so much more sincere had you have not spent the last few years having snidey personal attacks on the group of posters you dislike most, having you do it on your own is not enough but you have gone to the trouble of setting up multiple accounts to make it appear you have more people thinking like you. Your rising above the chaff type posts reek of hypocrisy!

• 41 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Jail for Ashley
    I’ve seen no snidey attacks.
    Most are full frontal
    You clearly no knowt about footy even less about NUFC
    Just exactly what is your agenda ?
    It cannot purely be hatred of billionaires can it ?
    The politics of envy ?

• 42 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Jib,

Well, quite.
    Where the emergency?
    It’s hard to argue that we have had both a fantastic transfer window and that we are in need of emergency loans.
    It’s a talking point for the blog, I suppose.

• 43 barkel // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM

why can’t we all just get along!?

.. will someone please think of the children!!

• 44 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Tsunki- See what I mean. Enjoy your day.

• 45 Ian Toon // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Jail – Your in your forties- I am just trying to make my why in the world. What do I know!

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Jib/jeff,
    I’ve been a football fan since about the age of six, I’m the first to admit that my knowledge of tactics and formations isn’t great but my general knowledge of football is pretty good so to say I know nothing of football isn’t really true now is it. I don’t hate billionaires at all, I thought Steve Jobs was pretty cool and Bill Gates seems a jolly good fellow too. I do have a gripe with greedy selfish billionaires who have no interest in making us a sporting success while using us as a vehicle to promote other successful businesses. My agenda was very simple, either fcuk off elsewhere or spend some money to try and compete. He spent some, I said fair play fatso. Simples.

• 47 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 12:56 PM

jail for mr ashley saviour of our club.

Good answer

• 48 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Can’t we all just get along? -_-

On topic, I would use the Emergency Loan system to give some of the younger lads a month or two on loan for the experience. I don’t see any benefit loaning a player in his late 20’s / early 30’s.

• 49 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Jail for Ashley @45 – LOL – I can’t argue with that!
    On topic – the Emergency Loan Window is not for overseas players. Does that mean you can only loan players from other English league clubs or that you can’t loan players who are not home grown such as Gouffran?

• 50 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Martoon
    I think it means you cannot borrow from foreign clubs

• 51 jayphoto // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Gouff be a very good player in the championship! He’d fit very well into the system at Derby or Brighton in my opinion.
    Williamson, maybe for me is a league 1 defender. The championship is ever evolving, getting quicker and more technical. Think he’d be well suited to a Coventry or Sheffield united like outfit. Failing that maybe a lower championship outfit that play less on the ground like Bolton.

• 52 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Ha Barkel only saw your comment after posting!

• 53 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:24 PM

My interpretation would be that you can loan foreign players; however you cannot loan any players from a foreign club. Pretty certain Villa (I think) signed Kiraly on loan when they were short a keeper which would suggest the above is accurate.

• 54 expatmag // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Heads up lads especially fellow aussies

World cup qualifier kicks off in half an hour

Tajikistan v Australia

Go you green and gold

• 55 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Daragh,

A Premiership club can sign a goalkeeper on energy loan for seven days. Nothing else. Those are the rules.

• 56 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM

emergency……if they have the energy.

• 57 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:32 PM

BandB,

Was using that example to answer the point about whether or not they could be foreign. Not sure how long the loan was for but 7 days seems inaccurate? As I recall Kiraly was there for a month or two, unless that has since changed.

• 58 martoon // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Jib & DaraghL – The term ‘overseas players’ seems vague to me but what you say seems to make sense so I was wrong earlier we could loan out Gouffran!

• 59 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:33 PM

The emergency loans window is just that.
    It is not designed for wealthy Premier League clubs to fill gaps in their rotas on the cheap as the result of under-cooking their transfer windows.

• 60 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM

As posted earlier

• 61 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM

BandB –

“The deals USUALLY last 7 days”

I guess that’s where we are crossing paths. I presume you need to make a strong case, such as Villa did for Kiraly, to achieve a longer term loan. So 7 days would be the standard.

• 62 BandB // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Daragh,

Yup.
    I can remember longer goalie loans too.

• 63 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM

BandB –

He was the only case that comes to mind. Just remember him wearing sweatpants in goal. Last keeper I’ve seen do that.

• 64 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Tajikistan tv for the Aussie game in 10 minutes

• 65 mindshaft // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Any attempt at reasoning on this blog is sadly misdirected, I’ve noticed that even when people are presenting the same argument they’ll then argue about a full stop or a comma

I neither condone nor object to the random mick taking on here or the attempts for the odd person to try and paint themselves as intellectually superior to others, not even the rose tinted glasses lot who think we should be in top four / six despite the fact that we’ve been flirting with relegation, nor people whinging about players wanting to leave for bigger clubs and their whole give up your career for the toon lot
    Ultimately you can just logoff for a post – am sure Ed will have a new one up within an hour and everyone will have forgotten and moved on to the next

• 66 DaraghL // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Feel like I’m watching Pointless. Some of the countires in the Asian qualifying are new to me. Kyrgyzstan & Tajikistan sound like panic answers if asked to name a country in the middle east.

• 67 Jib // Sep 8, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Wooh advance Australia fair !!!

• 68 Szarka // Sep 8, 2015 at 4:25 PM

DaraghL : Kiraly still plays in hes grey sweat-pants, last time just yesterday for Hungary. 🙂 And also Kadar, if u remember him. He didnt really made a good carrier, I expected more from the lad :/

previous post: Newcastle’s Current Loan Status