The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Looks To Shake Things Up In Newcastle Attack

8:37 am, Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Aleksandar Mitrovic will miss our next three games through suspension, after being sent off against Arsenal, and they are all games Newcastle can win.

We are away at West Ham, at home to Watford and then at home to Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup, over the next couple of weeks.

ayoze perez man united

Ayoze Perez – in action at Old Trafford

You would have thought that would mean that Papiss Cisse would start the games in place of Mitrovic, but news in the Chronicle today that head coach Steve McClaren is looking to shake things up in attack, so we can be more threatening up front.

Newcastle haven’t scored in the last three league games and we haven’t looked like scoring much either, so McClaren is thinking of how to use Ayoze Perez and Siem de Jong, to add more fire power to the Newcastle attack.

We have been impressed by Ayoze already this season, and he probably has been looking good in training, so he stands a good chance of starting the game at West Ham on Monday night.

With McClaren playing only one striker up front, it’s difficult for Cisse, because he has never been good at being the lone man up front, and maybe Ayoze becomes a straight replacement for Mitrovic.

Certainly Perez works his socks off for the side, and can also score goals if given time on the pitch, as we found out last season.

And somehow McClaren has to start finding a place for Siem de Jong in the side, and the Dutchman may be given the number 10 role at West Ham.

It’s a game we can win, and even though there’s been the long International break with players away, Newcastle do have a couple more days to prepare the side for what is an important game at Upton Park.

We need our first league win of the season, and to do that we have to be able to score some goals.

It will be interesting to see what team Steve starts on Monday night, but one surprise could be that Papiss Cisse again finds himself on the bench.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Ayoze Perez · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM

You are clearly braver than me , I tend to subscribe to view that all opposition will have a purple patch which will have to be survived.

I guess my cowardly approach puts me in the Pardew school of management.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Sorry, you have me confused. You can have as many under 21’s as you want, regardless of nationality. Not sure what that is in reference to.

My earlier post is related to Jib’s list of free agents. We named a full squad of 25, so we can only bring in Under 21’s unless someone from the named 25 man squad leaves. If someone left eg. Gouffran, then we would be able to bring in a free agent over the age of 21, but that would then stop us recalling Gouffran. However I am unsure on whether players named in the 25 that go on emergency loans are taken out of the 25, or remain in it.

• 3 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Jib, I think in the majority of games you’re right. One team can dominate the game, but the other side always seem to find a 5-10, possibly 15 minutes where they’re on top. No so much when one side is down to ten men, but in normal matches.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:53 AM

They will, but that isn’t anything to be scared of. Who is to say when there purple patch will be? What happens if there purple patch coincides with when you decide to strengthen? What if their purple patch puts them out of sight before you can come back because you have gone out to defend and absorb pressure?

The aim of any side should be to maintain high levels throughout the 90 minutes. Clearly that isn’t always possible, but it should always be the aim except in extreme circumstances. Only against the very top sides would I advocate a more defensive approach, and even then it would still require very quick and capable transitions to release pressure on the back line.

Sitting back just invites pressure, and more often than not will leave you behind against half decent opposition.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:53 AM

*their *their….

• 6 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Lil, no confusion mate, just you seemed to be the sensible one to ask, with your gen on coaching marra. 🙂 just something I wasn’t sure on myself, nowt you said.

• 7 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM

I’d like to see Colback and Anita left out and play Tiote as a sole sitting midfielder to protect the back line. Im not a fan of these two defensive midfielders. I do like Colback though.

Hopefully then we can fit De Jong and Perez in further up field.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Oh, okay, fair enough. You can name your entire youth set up as Under 21’s if you like, without restriction. It is only the named squad where the restrictions are.

• 9 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM

TP, strangely enough, when Anita and Jack played together against the munch bunch pre season, Jack was bringing it out and spraying 40 yard passes inch perfect onto the feet of the wide players. We’ve seen nothing of that since, which may, of course, be down to the situation we’ve found ourselves in. I’d like to see Gini drop back, so he can bring the ball out with pace, which would allow De Jong to play the central role behind the striker. I know Macca told Gini he could play that role – No10 – but needs might dictate otherwise this season.

• 10 martoon // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Lilongwe Geordie @2 – We were discussing that very subject yesterday and after a lot of Googling I couldn’t find an answer i.e. Do players out on Emergency Loan remain in your 25 man squad? However I suspect the answer is ‘Yes’ because the squad is named after the Transfer Window closes and can’t be changed until the January window (I think) and an Emergency Loan is a relatively short time. However I could be wrong as I am partially guessing.

• 11 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Lil, cheers. I thought it was that, but always better to get it confirmed than jump in feet first. 😉

• 12 will die for the toon army // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM

paper talk Cisse is going to lead the line.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Yes, that pretty much follows my reasoning for not being sure it is allowed. If that is the case then we clearly aren’t looking for anyone as we named fringe players unlikely to get much, if any Premier league game time in the 25 – Curtis Good, Bigi for example.

• 14 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM

If west ham decide to play all their new signings at once, it could work in our favour. If they have AC on the bench, I’d name Willo on the bench too. Willo has always kept him quiet because he’s as tall as him nearly. I would be concerned with them going route one towards the end if we had Collo and Mbemba paired again. It would be sickening if we were a goal up and Carroll came on and scored an unchallenged header or two in the dying minutes. I don’t think Willo’s as bad as some make out anyway and could do a job for 15 minutes if called upon. He needs replacing, no question, but whilst he’s ours we might as well use him on a horses for courses basis. We know just how unplayable Carroll can be if he’s allowed freedom on the air. I accept some won’t see it my way, but imo it just makes sense.

• 15 toonincheek // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Can we make revisions to the named 25-man squad before January?
    I thought we could not.