The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Surprising Move By This Newcastle French Midfielder

5:12 pm, Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 82 Comments

The emergency loan window opens today and lasts until November 25th (that date sounds familiar somehow), and players can move out on loan spells ranging from 28 days to 93 days, to get first team experience at other clubs.

And one Newcastle player who seemed to be in big demand is 29 year-old Yoan Gouffran, who can basically play anywhere across the midfield.

I just realized why November 25th is familiar – it’s my birthday.

Yoan Gouffran +Newcastle+United+v+Northampton+A4QRupYSitMl

Yoan Gouffran – will fight for his place at Newcastle

Clubs like Hull City, Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough were all said to be interested in taking him on loan, but surprising news in the local press today is that he wants to stay at Newcastle.

It seems like Yoan wants to fight for his place, although with the squad we have at the moment,  it’s difficult to even make the bench, and some good players are not in the final match-day 18.

Yoan played a lot under Alan Pardew, but he hasn’t been favored too much by Steve McClaren, but if he wants to stay he must have been playing well in training or even possibly been given some encouragement from McClaren.

The other thing is that Yoan can feature in the League Cup and the FA Cup, and we are going all out this season in those two local competitions.

It probably shows the spirit in the side at the moment, that Yoan wants to stay and get playing time at Newcastle.

Who knows – maybe by staying he’ll end up with a Cup winners medal – wouldn’t that be something.

It’s exactly 50 years since we last won a home tournament when we ripped Manchester City apart 3-1 at Wembley, in the FA Cup.

It’s a game I watched at my aunt’s on TV (we didn’t have electricity in our house until 1959), but I missed the first goal because Jackie Milburn headed us ahead in the very first minute from a corner.

Those were the days my friend.

Here are the goals and that’s Jimmy Scoular receiving the trophy from a young Queen Elizabeth at the end.

Tags: FA Cup · League Cup · Loan Moves · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

82 responses so far ↓

• 1 barkel // Sep 9, 2015 at 5:31 PM

I’d be more surprised if he wanted to move to a championship club, I still think he could do a decent job in our squad this season. I think in a front 3 (if we ever get that adventurous) he could work out quite well

• 2 Malta Mag // Sep 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Goofy was looking good for a while but then someone had the great idea of using him wide right in a struggling team and hey presto……he’s sh*te!!!! I have been saying for too long now that he was an out and out striker at Bordeaux so why not give him a chance in that position? It’s a “no baller” to me, yet now he’s been chastised as been surplus to requirements?

• 3 hibbit // Sep 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM

jib its time you had a word with your cousin the peanut seller he’s feeding you a load of bull…… llambias promoted charnley twice and it was his recommendations that was acted on ,,,,no other candidates were even considered it was always charleys job

• 4 GeordieTwo // Sep 9, 2015 at 5:59 PM

What about the upcoming match? It appears Carroll is fit. We won’t have Mito. Cisse up front then? I would think so. What formation? I don’t think one up front does it for us. Our counter can be decent but it is very limited as well play it. The break out should involve four or five players, so not just a long ball and some wasted hold up play or a wasted shot. More thought required or we will be playing from behind again as usual.

• 5 GeordieTwo // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Now for the hard questions. Are 2 points enough at this time of the season? Is 19th satisfactory? According to Charnley it is apparently. Slow but steady progress? In which direction? Far too little of the dead wood was cleared out. Now we have players like Gouffy and Obertan still in the club. Not to mention players like Willo. It’s not nearly good enough for a Prem team. Look at the standings, then look at the upcoming matches Lee.

• 6 GeordieTwo // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

• 7 GeordieTwo // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:04 PM

And after you’ve looked at the standings and the schedule have yourself fonged by a professional Lee….

• 8 Toon fm Exeter // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Ed its 60 years man

• 9 GeordieTwo // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Have you all noticed we never seem to get any surprise wins? Wins people thought we wouldn’t get? West Ham away would be a surprise win for me. But will it happen? I can’t see it, but I hope I’m wrong. We’re going to need some of those surprise wins to finish above 14th or 15th this season as well as wins against weaker sides. It has to happen or we’re in trouble again this season.

• 10 GeordieTwo // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM

What about the core of the team? The spine? Is Krul getting enough competition? His distribution remains poor. And our CB state is weak as we all know. We can field some decent MF’s but our strike force is horribly thin as well. And this is the side that’s going to finish in the top 10 thanks to Lee? Not likely…..

• 11 croftus5678 // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM

tbf krul has improved unnder macca also has sissoko / colo / hairdryer ect so maybe he can do the same to goofy ?

always though goofy was a half decent striker anyways (not prolific but could do a half decent job) just a shame he’s never played as a striker imo as i rate him higher than river.

• 12 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM

You believe your version from the greenkeeper at Thornaby and I’ll believe mine.

Remember last winter when I said Malcolm Young the ex England scrum-half who lectures at Teesside poly said McClaren had our job nailed on and you mocked it out of sight ?

My source said he has been in meetings with DL and LC where you cut have cut the air with a knife.

It is a new era

You may have to find a new club to whine about

You are a smog monster , have yoiu ever thought of supporting Boro?

• 13 the truth will out // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:29 PM

dont humour the freak

• 14 Ron Knee // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:29 PM

The final match of last season was a surprise win, wasn’t it?

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Your wrongs to rights ratio is worse than Shola Ameobis goal scoring record !

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Good Evening Gents and Jail for Ashley, how’s everyone this evening.

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Have we signed Charlie Austin yet.

• 18 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Welsh- You know how to bring the mood down, don’t you?
    Are you a rugby fan? I don’t wish injury on anyone but if it improves England chances!
    I am just passing through – have fun.

• 19 SUTTY1978 // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:11 PM

JIB, I notice that anyone questioning McClaren is immediately berated by you whether its a poster or even a journalist, why is that? Do you actually think he’s a great manager? For me he’s proved to be nearly as bad as Carver so far, we were bloody awful in preseason and struggled in every single game, this has continued into the season where we have created the least goal scoring chances in the premier league.
    I’m happy with the direction the club is going in off the pitch but on it we are in a dire state, if not McClaren what do you put this down to?

• 20 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:17 PM

jib is one of those salmon that will swim upstream, no matter what.. he/she/it delights in stirring up the pot, no matter how ludicrous he sounds.. pay him no mind, unless its to throw and empty liquor bottle at him, for sympathies sake.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Ian Toon

Me bring the mood down, now would I do such a thing.

Ha ha ha

I am a rugby fan, but I’m more a footie fan.

• 22 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Surprised at Gouffran wanting to stay and fight, his game time is going to be severely limited this term. I hope he is not going to turn into a hanger on!

Thauvin, Arrons, Perez, Riviere will all come before him this season.

I don’t get him? He needs to be out playing, he has no chance unless we have a shocking run of injuries. He should be made to go.

• 23 Fatman_joe // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Sutty, I have to take jibs side on this. I was excited by mc and whilst the start has been underwhelming we’ve already faced tough sides and our lot are still gelling. I think you’ve forgotten just how bad we were under Carver.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM

I think your more of an extractor fan !

• 25 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Now now jail no need to be grumpy.

• 26 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 9, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Aye it’s a bit sharp in tearing McClaren to bits just yet like.

Far too early to judge, especially under the circumstances of some of the games.

• 27 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Where is the blog now located on the site? I can’t find it anywhere..

It used to be located under the header?

• 28 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Blog counter*

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Not a great deal to talk about in international week, we’ll be tearing our hair out at the weekend as well.

• 30 Tsunki // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Ian, I hope you’re not going to try promoting your theory of the attack dog being provoked by the child. Witness the virulent Jeff driving a spiteful spike into someone he feels has made a mistake, while conveniently forgetting he is, as BandB so insightfully observed, the blog Wile E Coyote. A master of implosion, mishap, pratfall and pathos. He is your embarrassment I’m afraid, as well as that of all Toon fans on this blog. A divisive character who energetically supplies the contradiction to being ‘ United’.

• 31 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Anah, it’s killing me aswell, dire it is. Am gonna have a few days off here, I’ll pop in monday night to see what’s happening.

Catch you in a bit.

• 32 Tsunki // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Jeff is a combustion fan, for all the engineers out there

• 33 beermonkey // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM

its bad enough during the international break but its just plain worse when we have to wait till Monday

• 34 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:39 PM

All those times we persevered with Rivierre’s incredible run of games without scoring, you’d have thought goof could’ve been given a chance as a striker. I have no idea why he wasn’t.

• 35 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:42 PM

I think Gouffran’s willingness to put a shift in on the wing when he first came in was great but I think long term it cost him because Pardew and Carver eventually used him as a defensive winger

I think he could have been at least a 10 – 12 goal a season striker if played up front he was also used at Bordeux as the solitary striker but never played in this position for us

• 36 Tsunki // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Agree that Pardew and Carver clipped Goofys wings by utilising him. Perhaps it’s churlish to jump on the popular concept that he’s useless, maybe a more astute coaching staff can revive his potential. He has at least shown the right attitude.

• 37 hibbit // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM

jib what a tosser you are what you dont know you make make up as per normal you revert back to the little scum bag from pennywell you vile little shit with a mouth like a sewer go back and play with your sister mackem trash

• 38 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM

To be honest, I’m looking forward to seeing a fully fit De Jong get a game. When he’s played for the U21’s whilst getting back to fitness, he’s looked a different class. Some of the passes he’s picked out have been sublime. He linked up so well with Arma before he went on loan, with slide rule passes into the channels, that I can see him doing the same for Perez and that would explain Macca’s preference to pick them both – if rumours are true. I doubt it would work as well with Cisse as Perez, just because of the number of times Cisse gets offside.

• 39 beermonkey // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM

bobbybee / lcbp

both riviere and goofy were victims of the previous regime playing players out of position
    as a back up striker 10 12 goals isn’t a bad return but they chose to play goofy out on the wing and rivi they tried to convert him into a target man something he hadn’t done he scored most of his goals playing in a 433 wide left

both could be useful squad players but both have a lot to prove
    I do think McLaren and co could get something out of riviere he fluffed his line but did get into all the right places so over to black to sort his head out

• 40 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Its funny but Gouffran was suited to being the lone forward and Riviere the left wide forward but they were never ever played this way it was always the other way about !!!

• 41 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM

I still would not start with De Jong against West Ham they have crazy pace these days I would play Perez as the no 10 behind Cisse

De Jong might end up being a bit of a passenger

• 42 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Tsunki- Just seen your post.
    No I am not. But in my opinion you should not discount provocation from your thinking. Detach yourself from that, please. Do you ever read through the blog( speed and / not reading all). You often see a pattern and timing of comments and a clear attempt to get certain parties to over react. Not dissimilar from football. Likewise parties looking to build alliances at other bloggers expense. It’s human nature; usually pathetic but often hilarious. In most cases they’re posters I’ve never knowingly bothered/ or engage with. But what do I know I thought you were in your late 30’s. I was taught to be respectful to older people-?
    Simply put – oh the games some people play. It’s like alignments in a school playground or at a dysfunctional family gathering. Your a mature well balanced individual but not everyone Is. This blog represents an awful lot more to some than just toon fanatics- those that went on a journey round the Championship are simply gluttons for punishment- that is until we were clearly a force to be reckoned with.
    It’s often not a question of what is said but why? For example a blogger talking about a salmon swimming upstream – he’s making a disingenuous point but it’s in fact an extremely brave act- so who is the half wit?
    I am relaxing but have some things to do. You or BandB have not said anything that I have not considered- hope that doesn’t sound arrogant but knowledgeable.

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Beer, I thought it odd that Pardew had a striker and a winger at his disposal, yet chose to play them in a reversal of roles! Maybe he was just confused whilst caught up in his dreams of a move to super-massive Palace 😉 Who knows? Got to say though, I like Goof’s attitude in wanting to fight for his place. If he succeeds, we all win, because the more they’re pushing each other, the better the performances.

• 44 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Ian, can you expand on the ‘glutton for punishment’ please? Being one of those gluttons I’m curious 🙂

• 45 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

You must be psychic

I’ve been sitting thinking about Monday night’s game and came to the same conclusion as you – it’s going to be one of those 100mph games – not a second for thought – one of those games that makes the EPL so popular around the world – made for Aarons , Perez , Wijnaldum , and Thauvin.

It’s going to be hold onto yer hats lads.

• 46 Tsunki // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Ian it’s not a general slur on your judgement, simply an observation that you are sticking up for the blog miscreant. He does most of his own work in the maligning field.

• 47 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Jib, hope you’re right. We still need someone with a cool head in the middle orchestrating things. De Jong – but only if he’s fit enough – would be my choice.

• 48 beermonkey // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:24 PM

lcbp / bobbybee

I like most have been driven mad by players being played out of position when there is some1 more suited on the bench
    really hope we have seen the last of it

west ham like us have pace up front but not so much at the back
    I would play dejong although might be to soon he needs game time though ( has he been playing for the u21s??)
    dejong perez thauvin as a front 3 all can play through the middle and interchange could be a nightmare for defenders although it does seem harsh on cisse
    I think dejong has the intelligence to hold on to ball and lay it off and the pace of perez and thauvin can cause the trouble

• 49 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Sissoko needs to seriously step up as well our midfield is going to have to get stuck in and win some tackles and press for the ball should be a good game

Anita or Colback to get dropped then?

• 50 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:25 PM

Bobby- Hiya. Sure. We had been relegated from PL – it was July 2009. Leyton Orient 6 Newcastle1- in a totally humiliating pre season friendly. The talk on Tyneside was of us not having Shearer as manager and players were openly talking of disharmony and fans of us facing another relegation.
    Hope I’ve painted the picture- it was out of a sense of duty/ glutton for punishment until we started consistently winning football matches under Hughton.
    Tsunki was working on his book- ” Journey round theChampionship” and won an award as our No 1 fan for season 2009-2010( not a lot of people know that- cos I just made it up.)

• 51 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

I know I’ll get flak for this but I woud drop Haidara for this game and pay either Anita or Coback as fullback or even get them to interchange.

• 52 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Colback even

• 53 Jib // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Defo shortage of “l’s” tonight

• 54 Belfast // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Ian a small correction. Tsunki is not a mature well balanced individual.

Now as you where….

• 55 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM

I still think he might play safety first with both of them holding in the first half

I think Haidara is improving my main worries are Janmaat and Colo West Ham could play a front 3 of Moses , Antonio and Sakho which potentially could be the fastest combo in the league Janmaat lost the plot after 40 minutes against Swansea’s quick players and Colo will not like playing against Sakho who is rapid and good in the air

• 56 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Belfast – Hello geezer what a wag you are – but your absolutely right old fruit. Hope you were right about those Belfast accents – I went to watch cricket on Sunday, so you provided my research.
    I can’t take any more shocks. Don’t tell me, your a mature individual and not the Jack the lad I have you down for!

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM

I see there is a large amount of people comparing how good Mclaren is based on how bad Carver was. Knowing how little they care(d) ? about the fans, was Carvers appointment a brilliant master stroke to make us think Mclaren was a huge step up or just another blundering mess they stumbled into.

• 58 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Ian, I’ve always said this: it’s so easy to support a successful team, or one with relative success – a winning team – than one than struggles. I was there, in the Championship, not because I’m a glutton for punishment, nor was I there out of duty. I was there to scream the lads back to promotion – as I have many times before. All teams have fair weather fans – Jesus, my brother is a classic one 🙂 – and it showed – it always has. I would have dumbfounded if 52k had turned up that first day. Just as I would have been amazed if 52k hadn’t turned up for the last game. It’s not duty. It’s not resignation either. It’s loyalty that keeps me going. Can’t speak for eveyone though, obviously.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:45 PM

It looks like the Bates motel has just opened its doors and his ‘mum’ ? is sitting peacefully in the corner.

• 60 Belfast // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM

I’m a mature individual who was at Bible class on Sunday Ian. Then I done a big shop and donated it all to the local foodbank.

I went home afterwards and ate four soggy digestives for dinner.

• 61 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Belfast, you are surely paving your way to heaven with such good christian behaviour; )

• 62 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM

I meant 😉

• 63 Belfast // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Yep feel free to nominate me for a pride of Britain award.

• 64 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Just filling the form in now 😉

• 65 Belfast // Sep 9, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Not even chocolate digestives by the way! Soggy plain ones.

• 66 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:00 PM

I’ll put B1 as your postcode – they’ll find you I reckon. 🙂

• 67 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM

Belfast please, your martyrdom is killing me. I’ll tell them to look for the house shining with holy radiance. Sainthood is surely the only reward. Is the popes postcode V1? 😉

• 68 Bobbybee // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Gonna see what’s on you tube. Later.

• 69 Belfast // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM

I’m just passing through tonight anyway. Few Syrian refugees have just arrived they can have my bed.

God bless 🙂

• 70 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Belfast- What a lucky geezer . What a happy fun filled life you have, of debauchery and indulgence. Life isn’t all beer and skittles – I’m off for my hot cocoa.

• 71 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Just passing through – shucks wish I’d thought of that!

• 72 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM

So Batman came up to me & he hit me over the head with a vase & he went T’PAU! I said “Don’t you mean KAPOW?? He said “No, I’ve got china in my hand.”

ha ha ha

• 73 Mister Tuff // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Jib Jibberish – how do you know it is going to be a 100mph game on Monday night. Did you get some inside information from your club insider “Uncle Peanut”.
    Uncle Peanut………hahahahahaha.

• 74 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:27 PM

“Mother, she’s just a stranger”! As if men don’t desire strangers! As if… ohh, I refuse to speak of disgusting things, because they disgust me! You understand, boy? Go on, go tell her she’ll not be appeasing her ugly appetite with MY food… or my son! Or do I have tell her because you don’t have the guts! Huh, boy? You have the guts, boy?”

• 75 Mister Tuff // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM

See Norman Bates is working the blog tonight.

• 76 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Why don’t you leave the jokes to me.

• 77 Mister Tuff // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:33 PM

fool – my jokes are original and not copied and pasted from joke sites -as you do.

• 78 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:38 PM

you are a joke.

• 79 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Your jokes are original, if that’s the case you better work on them.

• 80 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Besides Tim Vine is a legend, especially in not going out with lee mack.

• 81 welshgeordie9 // Sep 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Looking forward to the football this weekend.

• 82 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2015 at 11:24 PM

As a Newcastle fan, I’m more looking forward to the football next week !

previous post: Newcastle Star Ready To Emerge Out Of The Shadows