Surprising Move By This Newcastle French Midfielder

The emergency loan window opens today and lasts until November 25th (that date sounds familiar somehow), and players can move out on loan spells ranging from 28 days to 93 days, to get first team experience at other clubs.

And one Newcastle player who seemed to be in big demand is 29 year-old Yoan Gouffran, who can basically play anywhere across the midfield.

I just realized why November 25th is familiar – it’s my birthday.

Yoan Gouffran +Newcastle+United+v+Northampton+A4QRupYSitMl

Yoan Gouffran – will fight for his place at Newcastle

Clubs like Hull City, Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough were all said to be interested in taking him on loan, but surprising news in the local press today is that he wants to stay at Newcastle.

It seems like Yoan wants to fight for his place, although with the squad we have at the moment,  it’s difficult to even make the bench, and some good players are not in the final match-day 18.

Yoan played a lot under Alan Pardew, but he hasn’t been favored too much by Steve McClaren, but if he wants to stay he must have been playing well in training or even possibly been given some encouragement from McClaren.

The other thing is that Yoan can feature in the League Cup and the FA Cup, and we are going all out this season in those two local competitions.

It probably shows the spirit in the side at the moment, that Yoan wants to stay and get playing time at Newcastle.

Who knows – maybe by staying he’ll end up with a Cup winners medal – wouldn’t that be something.

It’s exactly 50 years since we last won a home tournament when we ripped Manchester City apart 3-1 at Wembley, in the FA Cup.

It’s a game I watched at my aunt’s on TV (we didn’t have electricity in our house until 1959), but I missed the first goal because Jackie Milburn headed us ahead in the very first minute from a corner.

Those were the days my friend.

Here are the goals and that’s Jimmy Scoular receiving the trophy from a young Queen Elizabeth at the end.

• barkel

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:31 PM

I’d be more surprised if he wanted to move to a championship club, I still think he could do a decent job in our squad this season. I think in a front 3 (if we ever get that adventurous) he could work out quite well

• Malta Mag

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Goofy was looking good for a while but then someone had the great idea of using him wide right in a struggling team and hey presto……he’s sh*te!!!! I have been saying for too long now that he was an out and out striker at Bordeaux so why not give him a chance in that position? It’s a “no baller” to me, yet now he’s been chastised as been surplus to requirements?

• hibbit

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM

jib its time you had a word with your cousin the peanut seller he’s feeding you a load of bull…… llambias promoted charnley twice and it was his recommendations that was acted on ,,,,no other candidates were even considered it was always charleys job

• GeordieTwo

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:59 PM

What about the upcoming match? It appears Carroll is fit. We won’t have Mito. Cisse up front then? I would think so. What formation? I don’t think one up front does it for us. Our counter can be decent but it is very limited as well play it. The break out should involve four or five players, so not just a long ball and some wasted hold up play or a wasted shot. More thought required or we will be playing from behind again as usual.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Now for the hard questions. Are 2 points enough at this time of the season? Is 19th satisfactory? According to Charnley it is apparently. Slow but steady progress? In which direction? Far too little of the dead wood was cleared out. Now we have players like Gouffy and Obertan still in the club. Not to mention players like Willo. It’s not nearly good enough for a Prem team. Look at the standings, then look at the upcoming matches Lee.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Harrumph!!!

• GeordieTwo

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:04 PM

And after you’ve looked at the standings and the schedule have yourself fonged by a professional Lee….

• Toon fm Exeter

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Ed its 60 years man

• GeordieTwo

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Have you all noticed we never seem to get any surprise wins? Wins people thought we wouldn’t get? West Ham away would be a surprise win for me. But will it happen? I can’t see it, but I hope I’m wrong. We’re going to need some of those surprise wins to finish above 14th or 15th this season as well as wins against weaker sides. It has to happen or we’re in trouble again this season.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM

What about the core of the team? The spine? Is Krul getting enough competition? His distribution remains poor. And our CB state is weak as we all know. We can field some decent MF’s but our strike force is horribly thin as well. And this is the side that’s going to finish in the top 10 thanks to Lee? Not likely…..

• croftus5678

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM

tbf krul has improved unnder macca also has sissoko / colo / hairdryer ect so maybe he can do the same to goofy ?

always though goofy was a half decent striker anyways (not prolific but could do a half decent job) just a shame he’s never played as a striker imo as i rate him higher than river.

• Jib

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Hibbit

You believe your version from the greenkeeper at Thornaby and I’ll believe mine.

Remember last winter when I said Malcolm Young the ex England scrum-half who lectures at Teesside poly said McClaren had our job nailed on and you mocked it out of sight ?

My source said he has been in meetings with DL and LC where you cut have cut the air with a knife.

It is a new era

You may have to find a new club to whine about

You are a smog monster , have yoiu ever thought of supporting Boro?

• the truth will out

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:29 PM

dont humour the freak

• Ron Knee

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:29 PM

G2
    The final match of last season was a surprise win, wasn’t it?

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Jeff,
    Your wrongs to rights ratio is worse than Shola Ameobis goal scoring record !

• welshgeordie9

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Good Evening Gents and Jail for Ashley, how’s everyone this evening.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Have we signed Charlie Austin yet.

• Ian Toon

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Welsh- You know how to bring the mood down, don’t you?
    Are you a rugby fan? I don’t wish injury on anyone but if it improves England chances!
    I am just passing through – have fun.

• SUTTY1978

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:11 PM

JIB, I notice that anyone questioning McClaren is immediately berated by you whether its a poster or even a journalist, why is that? Do you actually think he’s a great manager? For me he’s proved to be nearly as bad as Carver so far, we were bloody awful in preseason and struggled in every single game, this has continued into the season where we have created the least goal scoring chances in the premier league.
    I’m happy with the direction the club is going in off the pitch but on it we are in a dire state, if not McClaren what do you put this down to?

• dok - the horrid colonial

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Sutty,

jib is one of those salmon that will swim upstream, no matter what.. he/she/it delights in stirring up the pot, no matter how ludicrous he sounds.. pay him no mind, unless its to throw and empty liquor bottle at him, for sympathies sake.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Ian Toon

Me bring the mood down, now would I do such a thing.

Ha ha ha

I am a rugby fan, but I’m more a footie fan.

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Surprised at Gouffran wanting to stay and fight, his game time is going to be severely limited this term. I hope he is not going to turn into a hanger on!

Thauvin, Arrons, Perez, Riviere will all come before him this season.

I don’t get him? He needs to be out playing, he has no chance unless we have a shocking run of injuries. He should be made to go.

• Fatman_joe

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Sutty, I have to take jibs side on this. I was excited by mc and whilst the start has been underwhelming we’ve already faced tough sides and our lot are still gelling. I think you’ve forgotten just how bad we were under Carver.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM

welsh,
    I think your more of an extractor fan !

• welshgeordie9

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Jail

Now now jail no need to be grumpy.

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Aye it’s a bit sharp in tearing McClaren to bits just yet like.

Far too early to judge, especially under the circumstances of some of the games.

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Where is the blog now located on the site? I can’t find it anywhere..

It used to be located under the header?

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Blog counter*

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM

TP,
    Not a great deal to talk about in international week, we’ll be tearing our hair out at the weekend as well.

• Tsunki

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Ian, I hope you’re not going to try promoting your theory of the attack dog being provoked by the child. Witness the virulent Jeff driving a spiteful spike into someone he feels has made a mistake, while conveniently forgetting he is, as BandB so insightfully observed, the blog Wile E Coyote. A master of implosion, mishap, pratfall and pathos. He is your embarrassment I’m afraid, as well as that of all Toon fans on this blog. A divisive character who energetically supplies the contradiction to being ‘ United’.

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Jail,

Anah, it’s killing me aswell, dire it is. Am gonna have a few days off here, I’ll pop in monday night to see what’s happening.

Catch you in a bit.

• Tsunki

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Jeff is a combustion fan, for all the engineers out there

• beermonkey

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM

jail

its bad enough during the international break but its just plain worse when we have to wait till Monday

• Bobbybee

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:39 PM

All those times we persevered with Rivierre’s incredible run of games without scoring, you’d have thought goof could’ve been given a chance as a striker. I have no idea why he wasn’t.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:42 PM

I think Gouffran’s willingness to put a shift in on the wing when he first came in was great but I think long term it cost him because Pardew and Carver eventually used him as a defensive winger

I think he could have been at least a 10 – 12 goal a season striker if played up front he was also used at Bordeux as the solitary striker but never played in this position for us

• Tsunki

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Agree that Pardew and Carver clipped Goofys wings by utilising him. Perhaps it’s churlish to jump on the popular concept that he’s useless, maybe a more astute coaching staff can revive his potential. He has at least shown the right attitude.

• hibbit

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM

jib what a tosser you are what you dont know you make make up as per normal you revert back to the little scum bag from pennywell you vile little shit with a mouth like a sewer go back and play with your sister mackem trash

• Bobbybee

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM

To be honest, I’m looking forward to seeing a fully fit De Jong get a game. When he’s played for the U21’s whilst getting back to fitness, he’s looked a different class. Some of the passes he’s picked out have been sublime. He linked up so well with Arma before he went on loan, with slide rule passes into the channels, that I can see him doing the same for Perez and that would explain Macca’s preference to pick them both – if rumours are true. I doubt it would work as well with Cisse as Perez, just because of the number of times Cisse gets offside.

• beermonkey

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM

bobbybee / lcbp

both riviere and goofy were victims of the previous regime playing players out of position
    as a back up striker 10 12 goals isn’t a bad return but they chose to play goofy out on the wing and rivi they tried to convert him into a target man something he hadn’t done he scored most of his goals playing in a 433 wide left

both could be useful squad players but both have a lot to prove
    I do think McLaren and co could get something out of riviere he fluffed his line but did get into all the right places so over to black to sort his head out

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Its funny but Gouffran was suited to being the lone forward and Riviere the left wide forward but they were never ever played this way it was always the other way about !!!