The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Still Not Satisfied With Strike Force

9:38 am, Friday, September 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

When Newcastle sent Remy Cabella on loan for the season to Marseille, as part of the deal that brought Florian Thauvin to Newcastle, we thought Emmanuel Riviere would have been shipped out in the summer too.

Cabella just didn’t make it last season, but we still thought he would be given a chance this season, and Manu Riviere was essentially in the same boat, having under-performed at Newcastle last season after being signed last summer (2014).

emmanuel riviere swansea

Manu Riviere in action against Swansea last season

The 25 year-old Frenchman is currently out with a knee problem, and he will get his chance when he returns,  but it’s also likely he could be shipped out of Newcastle permanently or on loan in January.

Newcastle have both Aleksandar Mitrovic and Ayoze Perez as the future strikers at the club, and Papiss Cisse will not be at Newcastle too much longer,  and could leave next summer.

19 year-old former Northampton striker Ivan Toney has also been signed by the Magpies as one for the future.

So one way of looking at the striker situation is that we probably need to bring in two strikers before next September, and one could well arrive in January.

That will depend a lot on how we do through the end of this year – but with only two goals in the first four league games, we haven’t fared well in an area we struggled with last season.

That’s why Newcastle will try to bring in a striker in January, and candidates include Hamburg striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga and yes – maybe even Charlie Austin from QPR – after his long running saga, which came to nothing over the summer.

Lasogga is a player we tried to sign in earnest last year, and once Newcastle move for a player they don’t seem to give up, and keep going back if the time is right.

Lasogga hasn’t done particularly well since he moved last summer to Hamburg from Hertha BSC, and he could be available – either permanently or on loan in January.

If we do manage to bring in a another striker in January, we could see Riviere moved out.

The other position Newcastle should have probably strengthened in the summer is full-back, and we have only three recognized full-backs in the squad – and one of them is Paul Dummett, who is  is out still with a hamstring strain.

Daryl Janmaat and Massadio Haidara are the current starters at the club in the full-back positions.

So that’s a position Newcastle will be looking to strengthen in January too, and we expect some younger players to also be drafted in.

Newcastle did well to get four good players through the door in the summer, and now they will try to add to that this January,  at least with a striker and a full-back.

And then next summer we need to bring in one or two new center-backs, with the contracts of Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson running out.

What do you think?

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Previous article
    My bad
    They are connected and effected by the same exercise but I should have made that clear.

• 2 magscar // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Just catching up on last nights blog and in particular the exchanges between Firebug and Jib.The post from Jib re disability was a retort too far and unnecessary.

In my experience it is amazing and humbling how un-jauniced people who suffer with disability are and they are deserving of credit for how they deal with their trials.

• 3 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Nice condescending generalisation.

Two questions for you.

How do you know I’m not disabled ?

How do you know firebug is telling the truth ?

• 4 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Steven Taylor has had that many injuries its hard to keep up with what he has had !

Sure he has had a snapped Achilles , Broken Jaw, Groin pulls, Broken Leg, Hamstring pulls …. plus many more !!

• 5 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Aww Jeff you sure you want to go down the ‘ how do you know I….’ route? 😉 you’re not disabled or you wouldn’t have said it. And Firebug has no reason to lie that can be perceived to be of advantage. You are like nufc83, the character who was virtually alone in thinking the late jimmymagpie, whose unique style has never resurfaced, actually passed on, and stuck to ridiculing it.

You are though, a terminally bitter and nasty person. Your comments to others pinpoint your deficit in character. And btw your hamstring theory is at least a year old. Search the blog.

• 6 magscar // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:22 AM

How do you know I am not. In fact it doesn’t matter nor would it if Firebug was not being honest. There are people with jaundiced views on here but to attach that to having a disability is uncalled for. You seem to be saying that disability = jaundiced view and again in my experience that is far from the truth.

No condescension just pointing out what imo is right. I think you probably realise that in the cold light of day at least I hope you do.

Any way am on my way out for the day so just passing through as is this weeks popular phrase

• 7 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:24 AM

As it happens I could write a treatise on the world’s airport’s Ambulift services ( if you know what they are) I just choose not to wear my heart on my sleeve.

• 8 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Now there you go Jib, that’s a proper lie. Someone with your personality in the job of caring for others. Really? You are a blight on this blog, or anywhere.

• 9 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM

And if you’re saying you’re a recipient it was probably while you had a sprained ankle. You are replete with this stuff, and your seemingly innocent Google cut and paste contributions do not mask you as a horror.

• 10 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Oh dear a post too far – Mr Angry

• 11 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Step in, Ian, please do explain how Jeff is the poor injured party responding to the mean provocations of unreasonable bloggers. Maybe you could join forces with your protégé to hand out the Rushing of the Bums?

• 12 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Jeff, don’t worry about me, really I’m fine. I’m not you, which is a real boost. Every time you post, it exposes your transparency. Continue, you’re bound to provide more mirth, the next boulder is perched on the hill above you, get that jog started.

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM

I must go now stuff to do. Carry on.

• 14 hibbit // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:03 AM

it baffles me how anyone can justify JIB/JEFF/JANE we all know its a sad little mackem WUM

• 15 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Ha ha couldn’t resist just doing the wonganufc survey – basically it’s a trawl through all their match day sponsor activities to highlight their ‘responsible attitude’ and how great they are for charity, the women’s nufc team, academy… you know, all the stuff you’d think the club should be doing themselves, not to a dirty loan shark eager for self – promotion and trying to scrub up their vile image. I doubt I’ll win the signed shirt with my submission though. 🙂

Cue article, Ed!

• 16 Ian Toon // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM

BandB- I fly solo and am not beholding to support anyone’s views or opinions.
    As for professing to know what I think you haven’t got a clue. Mind, on one issue you most certainly should because I have stated my contempt directly. It’s a certain toon fan saying “arrested development type” when describing a fellow supporter/ blogger!

Mr Tuff- Yer right! You have scratched that big chunk of nonsense from the perineum of your mind haven’t you?
    As I have pointed out before, you appear to have too much time on your hands for your own good. Your not unintelligent and could spend some time as a volunteer in a hospital, or nursing home, talking to and reading, doing the crossword, sudoku etc to those indisposed. Or helping out in your local library, reading to young children and getting them interested in literature at an early age. There are many other worthwhile activities you could help with depending on your particular skills base.
    Just do something positive rather than targeting and stalking individual toon fans. I for one try to find a time to come on, for any length of time, when your not around. Others just don’t bother. Your a mature man, please think about it.

• 17 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Good to see some decent posters stepping forward and challenging the blog scumbags for their offensive conduct -rather than sitting quitely and saying nowt – saying nowt encourages them further and spoils the blog.
    The latest rubbish from Jib Jibberish “I could write a treatise on the world’s airport’s Ambulift services”.

Well why don’t you do just that – take a few months off to do it. Then I’m sure the Master Multiple -that poisonous poster Ian Toon will no doubt write a gushing and complimentary review of it, not based on the content but based on the “allies” he always seems to be looking for in his crusade against other posters.

As for Taylor snapping both hamstrings – both hamstrings suggests there are only two – which is incorrect. For your information Taylor has had hamstring problems and has snapped his Achilles tendon(s) twice -note there is only one Achilles tendon in each foot/heel.
    I’m sure Uncle Peanut (the club insider) would know the difference between hamstrings and the Achilles tendon.

Ian Toon and his mischief makers….OOT.

• 18 Ian Toon // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM

• 19 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Multiple – you again show your arrogance and cockiness in suggesting some activities I should get involved in away from the blog.
    I’ve asked before -without reply -who are these poster who stay away when I post on the blog -come on name them.
    I can honestly say that when I check the blog out and see that you and your new triumverate gang are on – the thought that crosses my mind is “oh no not those F***ers again, spoiling the blog”.
    Just stop your blog mischief.

• 20 barkel // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Just to clarify my post from yesterday – I wasn’t posting to take sides, my point was at the time there was unusual lack of aggressive argument (which I think is a good thing) and your “joke” came across as insulting, “Uncle Peanut (the club insider)” seems to me to be used as an insult and a way of annoying another poster.

I’m not on the blog 24/7 so I don’t see a lot that is said between posters and that is why you wouldn’t have seen any comment from me regarding others insulting each other.

I’m just a toon fan that is interested in what other fans think, I think most people on this site make valid points but can often lose the run of themselves when others don’t agree.

• 21 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:58 AM

And while I’m on – not passing through- please explain “Maccas bwave new world” -you coined it -what does it mean.

• 22 Ian Toon // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Forget all the nonsense. There is clearly an emptiness in your life; many people of maturity, with good health and who’s working life was fulfilling feel the need to fill a void. Helping others can be very fulfilling and satisfying. At least think about it.

• 23 Ian Toon // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM

It means all bets are off. We start again with a blank sheet of paper but with new hope. It’s like a Canadian or North East winter and the first signs of spring.
    Hope springs eternal. You’ll be pleased that I have to go.

• 24 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM

barkel thanks for your explanation – having a jibe at Jib Jibberish in my mind is acceptable- when you understand that he posts filth and abuse about other posters on a regular basis, his latest abuse highlighted by another poster just this morning – a slur on disabled people.
    He sets himself up to be shot at -I’m sure you are saying people like him should not be challenged/ridiculed.

• 25 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:08 PM

correction – not saying

• 26 barkel // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM

I can understand that. Personally though if it were me I wouldn’t take pot shots when things are quiet, naturally if someone is on talking crap and insulting people go nuts! I’d much rather we, as a community, stuck with talking football

• 27 El Sleeve // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM

we should’ve pushed the boat out for Andre Ayew then. I suggest that if he joined Swansea after Dortmund and Inter were after him then their interest wasn’t that serious. should’ve offered 10k more in wages. miss of the century that was

• 28 mindshaft // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Hilarious that most of the comments on here these days are based around slagging each other off, even sadder is the fact that people actually bite – internet numpties the lot of you, it’s probably time you signed off the internet and got a life.
    Anyone remember that drgloom nufc site – was always a laugh (despite the inevitable prediction of A Defeat! )

• 29 mindshaft // Sep 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM

West Ham vs Toon

I predict …. A Defeat !

• 30 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Ian Toon, we started again with a blank sheet of paper but it’s starting to get written on, so far we have

Played 4
    Won 0
    Drawn 2
    Lost 2

thankfully you didnt say blank wall, otherwise….

• 31 beermonkey // Sep 11, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Score draw or a win to us is what I reckon

• 32 kdogg85 // Sep 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM

My Team for Monday.
    Janmaat Memba Collo Haidara
    Gini Colback
    Thauvin DeJong Aarrons

Although, he definitely wont pick Aarons or De Jong to start.

• 33 barkel // Sep 11, 2015 at 1:45 PM

4231 doesn’t really seem to work for us offensively, our 3 all tend to drop back very defensively and it’s a very flat 5 in the middle and our striker always struggles

• 34 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 2:12 PM

McClaren’s presser

• 35 kdogg85 // Sep 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM

barkel, i know what you mean but hes defo gunna go for 4231. 4411 could work with de jong as a withdrawn striker/no10.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Ayew and Gomis, oh well,

• 37 WWSBRD // Sep 11, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Everyone all calmed down after this mornings escapades?

• 38 WWSBRD // Sep 11, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Am not bothered by Gomis tbh Ayew would of got in but then I like the look of Thauvin and although we are light another winger we know Ashley wouldn’t bring in another 8mill+ for competition

• 39 mindshaft // Sep 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM

So looks like Carroll will get some game time against us on Monday night – doubt he’ll start though
    That Lanzini looked decent against the scousers although I could have probably looked decent , Liverpool were terrible.

Hopefully McClaren isn’t going to defend for 89 mins and try to get a last minute goal on the break…

• 40 Ian Toon // Sep 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM

30SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Played 4
    Won 0
    Drawn 2
    Lost 2

thankfully you didnt say blank wall, otherwise….

I could have said a clean slate. It represents a new beginning at the toon. New coaching staff/ new players/new playing style / new manager-coach. A fresh start for players and it would be helpful if as the season progresses it will energise more of the fans as well.

• 41 nufconceandfuturekings // Sep 11, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Riviere needs time. A luxury we can’t afford, under the intense pressure created by the Premier League who will do anything for money; forget giving players and coaches time, these days, the pressure’s constantly on chasing the money. Last season, Riviere, brought in from Monaco, so no shock to the system there, then. Then, up front on his own, so no pressure, Manu. I like this guy’s work rate and attitude. No wonder confidence in players affects their performance. Wouldn’t it be great if players were given a bit of time [at least a season to settle in], recognising that, despite their wages, this doesn’t render them immune to being human beings and all that entails. I don’t blame the club in all this. I blame the PL. There’s a name for them. I won’t use it here, but suffice to say….they’ll do anything for money, and compromising the quality of play and injecting short-termism across the board is a price the PL, frankly, are more than ecstatically happy to pay.

previous post: Good News For A Change On This Front For Newcastle