The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We Need The Breaks – The Results Will Come

6:04 pm, Friday, September 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 77 Comments

Newcastle haven’t scored a goal in our last three league games so hopefully we can score at West Ham on Monday night.

An upbeat Steve McClaren was positive as usual at his press conference today, and said Newcastle simply needed the breaks and the goals and the results will come.

steve mcclaren newcastle

Steve McClaren was upbeat at press conference today

Certainly the next three games at West Ham, and at home to Watford and Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup,  are important and we need to pick up some wins in those games.

This is some of what Steve McClaren has said today during his press conference:

“We’ve played two games with ten men against quality opposition so we weren’t going to create a lot of chances in those games,”

“We have Papiss Cissé and Ayoze Perez who will be looking to prove a point, as all strikers do, and I believe we have enough quality in that position to get goals.”

“But we need the breaks. We need to play better football, create more chances, score more goals and the results will come.”

Newcastle haven’t played too bad in the first four league games of the season, but it hasn’t been consistent,  and as Steve says – when you are down to 10 men in the first half, it really restricts what you can do.

Yes, we need the breaks.

Thinks, maybe West Ham will go down to 10 men in the first half on Monday night?

That’s a nice thought – for us that is.

That would be a good break.

How Will Newcastle Fare At West Ham?

View Results

Willems – £10m
    Byram – £6m

• 2 will die for the toon army // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Lassango – 6m
    Matip – 8m
    Byram – 6m.

I dont think we will sign Austin we will go for a 23yr old. Pound for Pound.

We have Durmett and Haidara 23 and 22 respectively so I bet we will develop those.

• 3 will die for the toon army // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:15 PM

I think we will sign a CM.

• 4 Belfast // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Jail you’re right I didn’t. Although privately I thought it might have been a hoax lol

Bradley I wouldn’t get your hopes up. They don’t like doing business in the January transfer window.

• 5 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Bulfast – interesting that the food banks are after volunteers. That’ll probably mean I’ll meet some new folk when I go to collect my groceries on Monday.

• 6 WWSBRD // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Don’t think we will go for Matip, don’t think we should now we have an ACON CB in already anyway

• 7 will die for the toon army // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:24 PM

AFRCON is jst 5 games.

Lee told us 3 windows and we have 150m to spend and we have a team to compete with the Top 6 Clubs.

• 8 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:28 PM

tsunki -evening unfortunately I think the mischief makers will be back again -upsetting the applecart.
    Your analogy about hugging a lion isn’t bad -but I prefer to think of one of Aesops Fables – the scorpion and the frog. The old scorpion just cannot help his nature.
    Talking about scorpions – on my recent holiday nearly crapped myself sitting out one night on the patio – bloody scorpion trotting past. Caught it and later another a few days later to check it out properly. don’t know what species it was – about 1.5″ long dark brown with translucent legs. Put then back in a more quieter part of the garden.

• 9 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Belfast tbf I also harboured and may even have voiced caution around the jimmymagpie time. He bore all the hallmarks of someone who had hung around the training and coaching part of nufc for some time. He annoyed some with his defensive and sometimes cantankerous approach, but he did get respect for the fact that he had his views and stuck to them. I think time told adequately that he hasn’t resurfaced, that was where nufc83 and cupid I think it was fell down. For the record, I didn’t mind nufc83 up to that point and he continues to make sensible posts, however his dogged defence of his theory to the end , despite Ed being emailed by his nephew I think it was, convinced me of the type of person nufc83 is.

• 10 lesh // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Bradley…. Austin who?

Mr Tuff

You’re back from France and nowt’s changed on here. Still suffering the odd silly buggers!!

Anyway, back to Mitro…. I wonder if McClaren’s thought about asking Shearer to come into training and offer some of his wisdom to Mitro? Be hard by all means but be subtle with it.

• 11 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Bradley I love optimism but most of all I think it’s always good to mention Austin.

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM

We wil win 2-2 on Monday night with a hat trick from cisse.

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Scorpions you say? Sounds like fun. I’m in Portugal atm, looking out for poisonous snakes there too.

• 14 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Any news on Austin.

• 15 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:39 PM

I’m with Welsh don’t know about Cisse but I’ll go with 2-1 . The slurp monster Mrs Merson is a certain for false positives.

• 16 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Welsh btw is that a typo or a joke ? Either way it’s a poor choice.

• 17 WWSBRD // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:48 PM

will die
    5 games is a big chunk of a season without both ur first choice CBs

And the 150mill is very much make believe at this point imo trusting Ashley has never ended well for anyone Newcastle related

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Is it only now you got it, not very quick are you, 0-60 in 4 weeks springs to mind.

Ha ha ha

• 19 chewbaccy // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Laughing at oneself is a sign of madness.

• 20 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM

That’s because i am mad.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:07 PM

You new to this blog or have you changed your name again.

• 22 bladeuser // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM

And after 10 games the wally with the brolly out

• 23 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Welshie in
    Ashley in
    Moaners out
    High five gang out
    Crawlers out

• 24 will die for the toon army // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Pessimistic Fans OUT!!!!!!

• 25 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Welsh typically you mistake the stunned hesitation caused by the embarrassment of your limp wit for not getting your….er…..joke.

60 gallons to the mile comes to mind

• 26 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM

On your mark
    Get set let’s go
    You got to move on
    Before Belfast explodes
    Look out the window
    Lookout below
    Back away from the glass
    There Welsh blows
    The city’s been leveled
    Hills are in flames
    Streets cracked open
    And they’re pushin’ up clay
    Temperature’s dropped
    Sky is grey
    And it ain’t even over
    Here comes drivin’ rain
    It ain’t Skunki
    That you feel
    There’s something moving
    Around in here
    That’s blood
    That’s tears
    This ain’t a warning…

Everybody out of the blog!

• 27 Munster Mag // Sep 11, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Completely agree with billion and have said same before. Mitro deserved straight red , end of. No amount of hand wringing re Martin known van change that. I stand by my guess that this immature Serbian nutter will accumulate more cards than goals this season

• 28 WWSBRD // Sep 11, 2015 at 8:00 PM

will die
    Why should pessimistic fans be, as u put it, OUT?

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2015 at 8:40 PM

I am trying ones best to be optimistic about this new dawn and have given our philanthropostic billionare another chance to redeem himself, but you simply can’t label somebody as a pessimist after the relegation, relegation scares and horrendous goal difference over the last eight
    years , I’m not going to label you as a Prozac abuser with his head in the clouds.

• 30 will die for the toon army // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Lets give these guys a chance its a new dawn.
    1. New Board
    2. New Coaching staff
    3. New players

Am happy with wat I have seen so far.

• 31 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:22 PM

it’s a new dawn,
    It’s a new day,
    it’s a new li-ife…
    ..and I’m fee-eeling…….

Cry me a River.

• 32 will die for the toon army // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:28 PM

If only we had Shearer as the Ambassador and a board member at least he wld have a pulling factor for some players and I wld also b around the club.

• 33 Sack Llambias // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Jail well said as always. I agree that you have to ask about a new dawn . Can Fatso perform like that In every transfer window. There is if our form is bad and we might be relegated and no t. v money for him this way. Lets see what happens and decide then but your right in not deciding yet.

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Sack Llambias,
    Stick your shenanigans up your ar$e you fraudster !

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 11, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Just back from the game. What is it with us v Arsenal? Ten men again. Dominated the game until going down to ten men. Kevin Mbabu had a belting game at right back, before switching to CB following the sending off. I rated him before his bad injury and now he looks back to his best. Good game despite the score.

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:03 PM

If Mbabu can continue improving we won’t have far to go to find cover for Janmaat. Gillead showed his pace throughout the game and deserved his goal. Don’t recall Darlow once kicking long from goal kicks either, playing the ball out on the floor. Made a couple of good saves as well. Out played Arsenal completely until the unfortunate red card, but hey! That’s Arsenal 🙂

• 37 Thump // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Can Fatso perform like that In every transfer window

Oh man, good times.

• 38 magscar // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Thanks for update on U21’s. Seems like Mbabu might be picking up his form again. What about Toney from seems like he had a fairly busy night – is he looking a prospect?

• 39 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:34 PM

I fancied a game of darts with my mate.
    He said, “Nearest the bull goes first”
    He went “Baah” and I went “Moo”
    He said “You’re closest”

• 40 toon kk // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Its hard to judge how we’re going to do this season, but going off how we’ve started and bearing in mind most of the squad are the same players that were so poor they almost got us relegated last season, I’m not sure when or if we are capable of competing in this league.
    No shots on target and only 30% of possession is relegation form.
    Why we didn’t go for a quality proven striker with experience is beyond me.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I’ve just sent my obligatory donation to the Red Cross Syrian refugee campaign as I do with every humanitarian disaster, I’d hate to be a refuge myself.

• 42 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM

My god i hate van gaal, what an annoying turd he is. Thinks he’s the most important man in football. Annoyingly all the journo’s play up to him like oliver twist “please sir, more sir”. I’d love one of them to ask, “so Mr Van Gaal Sir, have you always been a knob or did you wait until you moved to Old Trafford?”
    Tonights rant finished, thanks for listening.

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Magscar, he probably should have scored really, but at least he was getting into those positions in the first place. Being so much on top, it only highlights the adage about taking chances whilst dominating. He certainly gave their defence no rest and on another day we would’ve been out of sight before they scored. Bigi was a bit hit n miss but never stopped trying. Overall, performance wise, the team were impressive enough and have clearly bought fully into the passing philosophy the new coaches have brought in. We had no first teamers out there tonight and it was a young side even for u21’s. Looking good mate. 🙂

• 44 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:49 PM

This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says “Audi!”

• 45 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:50 PM

This policeman came up to me with a pencil and a piece of very thin paper. He said, “I want you to trace someone for me.”

• 46 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Bobby, appreciate the lowdown on the game. Looks like Arsenal had a young team out too, read the match report on their site and didn’t really recognise any of the names which is unusual, suppose they loan out most of theirs though. Main thing at U21’s is just getting game time and trying things out, glad you enjoyed it.

• 47 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:51 PM

it is much better to be a refuge
    than a refugee

• 48 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:54 PM

I think for you the world is full of annoying turds

• 49 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Ah. Degrees of separation. Refuse. Try that one, Jeff.

• 50 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM

I’ve got a bone to pick with you, stop using my jokes.

Ha ha ha

• 51 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:58 PM

I phoned the local gym and I asked if they could teach me how to do the splits. He said, “How flexible are you?” I said, “I can’t make Tuesdays.”

• 52 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:58 PM

No doubt you think he’s wonderful Jib.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Sep 11, 2015 at 10:59 PM

So speaks an annoying turd.
    How’s Uncle Peanut.

• 54 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:03 PM

I went into a shop and I said, “Can someone sell me a kettle.” The bloke said “Kenwood” I said, “Where is he?”

ha ha ha

• 55 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Sutty welcome to the land of Jeffs Random Insults. You should feel honoured. And you should also feel better about Van Gaal. Because now you have found an even larger crevice right here on this blog.

• 56 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:04 PM

I bought some Armageddon cheese today, and it said on the packet ‘Best Before End…’

• 57 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Double act of unfunny. it’s just not fair.

• 58 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:08 PM

This one won the Edinburgh Festival best joke 2015.

“I took my hoover to the pawn shop – well it was just collecting dust”

• 59 Bobbybee // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Sutty, I always enjoy those games mate, it’s always worth the effort. Don’t see as much diving as you do in the PL. Despite the league, I agree that performance at this level is the important issue – although I do prefer us to win 😉 Gillead is quicker than I remember from last season! Surprised not to see Callum Roberts turn out tonight. Whether that means he’s lined up for a loan, or going to Upton Park on Monday, remains to be seen. (Anybody heard anything?). Got to nip out to Asda for a bottle of wine for wor lass, but I will be back shortly.

• 60 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Interesting to hear about the young uns, bobbybee. I think the energy and motivation of the coaching staff is fairly uniform and spilling over all levels of the playing contingent. Harnessing that motivation to the right level where it doesn’t get overcooked will be the key. In times gone by such games have been a routine and pointless exercise, but it does appear that there are the formative signs of some talent.

• 61 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:12 PM

I had this irate e-mail ready to send to Ed showing my creds as a carer.
    I was that hopping mad.
    Then I had a rethink
    What a knob you are
    You open your mouth and a cretin spouts.

• 62 Belfast // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:13 PM

For me Stephanie McMahom is the hottest Wwe wrestler of all time. Although I did have a soft spot for Trish Stratus at one point.

• 63 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Jib I thought it was the guy who deleted all the German names from his mobile phone so it could be Hans Free. Have you Googled properly?

• 64 Belfast // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Wow hold on a moment, wrong forum….

• 65 Belfast // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:17 PM

I’m not really a member of the ladies wrestling forum. Honestly!

• 66 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Belfast it could have been worse, you could have said it about Steve Austin. That would have kicked things off….

• 67 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM

I hope we don’t get back to where jeff from benwell and welshgeordie9 had the blog to themselves after six o clock at night which resulted in sometimes as little as sixteen posts in between that time and Santon03 or Lilonvwe Geordie posting at 06:00 the next morning !

• 68 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:21 PM

A lorry full of tortoises collided with a van full of terrapins. It was a turtle disaster.

• 69 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Jeff, correct – I type, you reply. 🙂

You as a carer? If it’s true, at least give us all a heads up so some of our folks can have a fighting chance of avoiding a sound towel – whipping, especially if you get hopping mad.

• 70 magscar // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Thanks. I just wish we would stop putting in some reasonable performances but getting nothing other than a red card 🙂

• 71 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:25 PM

You see, the problem I have with you being a carer is, that you would be irate enough to have time to compose an email, and then only think of someone in a bad light in order to calm down. Doesn’t give a disabled elderly person much time to appease you, does it Jeff?

• 72 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Anyway I’ve had enough of this deficient anger – compromised ice bath merchant. Going.

• 73 Jib // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Kitchen fitters are so easy to find
    You are getting very personal
    Take some moments of reflection big boy

• 74 Tsunki // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Kitchen fitters easy to find? Why the face does that mean Jeff? Was that your retort? Sleep on it Jeff.

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Refugee or refuge, I’m gutted my compassion has let me down by my illiteracy!

• 76 Bobbybee // Sep 11, 2015 at 11:52 PM

The red card was probably right, although the direction of the ball would suggest he got the ball. He could’ve took the foot first though, I couldn’t see properly. A touch of Arseneitus possibly. 🙂 He was definitely the last man, so if he did take the foot first the card was correct – as much as it grinds to say so. There was some lovely one touch moves and clearly, from Academy upwards, the new philosophy has taken hold.

• 77 Bobbybee // Sep 12, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Tsunki, I hope Mbabu can push on from this. There was talk of moving him on, but he was out for a long time with injuries and is only now starting to show the form he showed for the Academy a couple of years ago. He’s good defensively and loves to get forward, putting in some good crosses all night. He also moved into CB after the red card, where he looked equally comfortable. I hope Macca was watching. If the lad can replicate tonights performance on a regular basis, it’s all good for the 1st team squad.

previous post: Why Newcastle Didn’t Appeal The Red Card