The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Biggest Hint Yet That Newcastle Still Want Charlie Austin

10:53 pm, Sunday, September 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 61 Comments

Steve McClaren has given the biggest hint yet that Newcastle still want Charlie Austin, who we were interested in over the summer but would not match the QPR valuation of £15M.

Steve has been interviewed and he has said Charlie will stay on Newcastle’s radar screen.

Charlie Austin +Charlton+Athletic+v+Queens+lrLNrpMl4Cxl

Charlie Austin – on Newcastle’s radar screen

This is what Steve McClaren has said:

“He has been on Newcastle’s radar from the second half of last season, and during the summer, and he will stay on the radar, definitely,”

It seems odd that Steve would be so open about it – especially the definitely at the end – since not too much was mentioned by him over the summer.

That definitely seems to suggest he may even be definite target of ours.

We remember that the Mirror’s Simon Bird back in early June said the Austin transfer was a done deal, and while he was wrong, there had to be something behind that.

It could be that Newcastle have been in the driver’s seat on this deal, and that Austin is just waiting for the club to work out some deal with QPR, or wait until his contract runs out next June and get him as a free agent.

The fact that Charlie admitted he turned down an offer from a club that he said just wasn’t right for him, is also consistent with that.

It’s thought to have been West Ham, but certainly not Newcastle.

We could see a striker and a center-back brought in during January, plus some younger players for Peter Beardsley’s Development group.

Charlie Austin scored for QPR yesterday to make it 5 goals in 6 appearances this season for QPR in the Championship, but they lost 2-1 at home to Nottingham Forest.

61 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Watching analysis of Leicester game on Match of the day the way they pressed for the ball in the 2nd half is the way we need to be

Gini , Thauvin , Perez , Anita , Colback are all capable of high energy pressing for 90 minutes

Sissoko and Cisse are not though they seem to jog about quite a lot not sure about Mitrovic if he can do it either

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Justifiable Charlie Austin article, not hidden in a Willo or Obertan piece, that’s a rarity !

• 3 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:58 PM

thought leicester attitude today and work rate were spot on we need to work that hard every game

• 4 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Yeah I think if we were to work hard for the ball with our technical players I think we could comfortably beat West Ham

Only thing is Obertan and Sissoko are too lazy for a pressing game add in Cisse that can be 3 players down when we dont have the ball !!

• 5 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:14 PM

luckily dont think obertan will start and cisse wont last 90 mins….just need to kick them up the hoops b4 they get on the pitch!lol

• 6 Kris // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Janmaat, Mbemba, Colo, Haidara
    Sissoko, Colback, Wijnaldum
    Thauvin, Cisse, Aarons

De Jong, Perez and Taylor as subs.

• 7 Tinman // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Kris, no chance of Aarons starting

• 8 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Woop woop de loop glad I could make it for one of these!

• 9 Derek // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:58 PM

In breaking news I heard from a reliable source Charlie Austin took his dog for a walk and it barked at the neighbours dog on the way past his house and Charlie said stop barking to his dog and pulled its leash to drag it away from the other angry dog and to the other side of the street and Charlie and his dog lived hapily ever after

• 10 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:06 AM

A few seasons ago we used to have PEA articles. They were enjoyable too.

• 11 Jonty // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Haven’t commented for a while but do read lots of the blogs. Re Austin. Take it from me, he was desperate to come to SJP. I know cos he loved working with Steve Black and Blackie had told me. The problem was the fee cos he has failed a medical before and has less than a year to go on his contract. Why do you think no one signed him? Cos he wants to come to Newcastle. That’s a fact. Take it from me, unless he brakes down or loses his form completely he will join either January or next summer. Whether you think he’s good enough is another question! But I know for a fact that he wants to come here.

• 12 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Yeah but does he really want to come here that’s the thing. I’m not so sure. I think he wanted to go somewhere else. But he didn’t. He just stayed there. Would be good if he really wanted to come here though, but who knows ok I’ll stop now…..

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Jonty just yankin the chain there. But a word of advice – it’s FACT! Not fact.

• 14 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:20 AM

How about a blog vote Ed – fans all time favourite Player Series. I think there’s some miles in that one.

• 15 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Ashley Out! Btw

• 16 lesh // Sep 14, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Can I vote for Charlie Austin as my all-time favourite player. I know he’s not with us yet but …….

• 17 Toon Tang // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:08 AM

Surely the biggest hint of all would have been to actually buy him eh.

• 18 jimmysmith // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:36 AM

If QPR are a chance of going back up in January, which looks very likely, they’ll surely keep him. A place in the Premiership being worth far more than 15 million quid I suppose. And if he stays, he’ll doubtless attract many suitors as a free agent, so I don’t fancy our chances then either. Makes you wonder how much we really wanted him, or do indeed want him, the difference money wise surely being offset in cheaper wages now and a higher transfer fee for Cisse anyway, and of course not getting the use of the player now. I’m torn between being either skeptical regarding our interest or somewhat disappointed we still won’t push the boat out to get our target. Obviously haven’t quite entirely bought into the certainty of this “new Newcastle” project, it would seem.

• 19 Santon03 // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:52 AM

I would rather have Jamie Vardy type of striker, who will harass opponent defense.
    Adam Armstrong will return in January.
    I would love to have our youngsters mixed with senior players like Arma, Sterry, Laidler, and Heardman (6’4 striker).
    I still think that we should keep Willo, he will be good backup, he won’t cause any trouble being 5th cb.
    I would sell Gouffran, Marveaux, Cisse, Tiote.

• 20 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:31 AM

Austin I think will follow the money and the likely opportunity of European football (CL or EL)

…he’ll probably end up like Ba and Remy and countless other before them 😉

It’s such a difficult task to overcome moving club in your final year. So many ppl trying to make money off of you (they’ll get into your head)

The question we should ask ourselves is he the forward we need or should be have been looking elsewhere? If Cisse moves then maybe!

• 21 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2015 at 6:04 AM

Don’t think there will be that many teams after a 27/28 year old championship striker in January or the summer. Certainly couldn’t imagine Chelsea being interested. It’s different when they have just finished playing a season in the prem to when they are currently plying their trade at a lower level

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 6:17 AM

Sutty…when it comes to English players the PL is all about filling up the quota!

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 6:18 AM

Who wouldn’t buy Austin for free if he has good season?

• 24 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Just like Jordan Rhodes? He bans them in in the Championship and I dont see people lining up to buy him aside from other championship teams.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:08 AM

Sutty…buy him for free?

Does Rhodes even have PL experience?

Something tells me we are talking about apples and pears here!

• 26 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:10 AM

A penny for anyone’s thought!

…beside pennywise the clown of course. But that should be implied by now…

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:13 AM

We already have a striker unsettled at the club in Cisse due to competition for his spot. Not sure Macca talking about Austin like this is a particularly good bit of man management.

Can’t see QPR selling him in January, so it will be a free for all come the summer unless QPR persuade him to re-sign. Can’t say it would bother me either way, whether he comes here or heads elsewhere. Pardew (allegedly) wanted him here before he joined QPR, but we took short term Remy on loan instead that summer.

On the weekends football, great performances from Everton, and a great comeback from Leicester. Cracking goal from Benteke, but Rogers and possibly Mourinho must be starting to feel a bit of pressure. Delighted for Iheanahco, those who used to read my True Faith blogs (and on here) will remember I mentioned him a couple of years back as an outstanding prospect, and a player I would have loved to come here to work with Arma in the youth and development setup.

• 28 firebug666 // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:17 AM

QPR’s greed will cost them because come January Austin and his reps will be free to talk to other clubs and listen to offers.

I can’t see him signing a new contract with QPR when in a few months he will have plenty of other options including maybe signing a pre-contract.

Not saying he will defiantly join us, but he will have other options, and could end up leaving QPR for nowt.

• 29 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM

Besides 30 games in the premier league he’s had a very similar career to Austin, except more prolific as a goal scorer. I’m basically saying that it limits the options for him of where to move to. It’s lower half prem teams at best. So we’re about as good as it gets for him.

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Lilongwe…I will assume and future shortlist of players will comprise of individuals scouted by Carr and approved by Macca among others!

Don’t see us being in for Austin unless Fatty sees a bargain 😉

It’s nice to see teams such as Everton and Leicester playing well and stealing valuable points…gives us hope!

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:20 AM

*and = any

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Looking forward to tonights game. I’m hoping we see a bit more from the lads tonight, the defence (minus Mbemba) has had a bit of time to continue work on shape and organisation, so I’m hoping we have got to a stage where we can start to push forward more and begin playing a high pressing game.

Another backs to the wall performance will be very disappointing. West Ham have undergone a greater transition period then ourselves, so we are in very similar stages – in reality we should be ahead of them as we have bought less players to integrate according to those who think buying more this summer would have been too much.

They are very much there for the taking, as both Leicester and Bournemouth showed by pressing high and attacking with pace. I’m not sure what I’d predict result wise, as I’m hoping that Macca shows far more intent tonight, but as we are yet to really see that from him it may be a fools hope.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Sutty…whether you like it or not Austin’s season in the PL with 15 goals or more will always separate those two. They are not compatible!

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:24 AM

I’m not sure Everton stole the points! I didn’t see the game, was busy selecting a Malawi squad for next years Homeless World Cup, but from the reports I read they were good value for the three points.

Leicester nicked it, but the only reason they were able to was because they went for it. We are yet to go for it under McClaren, but tonight is an opportunity against a team that are beatable, so why not. Will be very disappointed if we don’t.

On the signings, so far it is all players we have been after since pre McClaren, I hope he has a bit more influence, but it would be difficult to confirm either way at this stage.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:27 AM

I think QPR will look at it as money well lost if he gets the goals that gives them promotion. £15million now or promotion and the TV cash bonanza the following year.

Austin needs to continue scoring goals to improve his deal at a new club, and potentially push him higher up the league so keeping him for the season may work out best for both of them.

• 36 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM

IMO McClaren could well start with the same keeper defence and holding midfield pair, I have a felling he may start with Gini – de Jong – Sissoko behind a single striker in order to maintain the same formation. He can substitute Anita (as he has in the past) and then Colback (if required) for a pacey forward. Very much a safety first approach, trying not to lose the game in the first half and use the subs to get a goal, a new model APII.

• 37 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM

#AP mark II

• 38 firebug666 // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM

As always with Newcastle these days, it will depend on which team turns us.

I agree we need to press more, if we put them under pressure they will make mistakes.

I am also hoping to see some attacking intent from the team but I think it will all depend on how long it takes them to lose their fear of conceding goals, and camping on our own 18 yard line.

Prediction for the game is difficult as we still have no consistency and therefore cannot gauge how we will play.

On paper we should be looking to take the points, but the reality is we have not shown how we will do that so far this season.

• 39 jayphoto // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:33 AM

can’t see him going in January. Not sure if QPR will come up, don’t think they have a good enough manager but they are definitely going to score goals. Their team should really walk the championship. No way they’ll be far enough away from a playoff position in January that they’ll consider letting Austin go. No way either that NUFC will pay 10m for a player in janaury when he’s free in 6 months…they’ve shown before whether we need the player or not that they’ll wait. Personally I’m happy for them to do that. We play 1 up front and between Ayoze, Mitrovic and Cisse (possibly with Riviere and Gouffran too) and no Europe we’re well stocked up top for 1 up front. If McClaren decides to play 2 up front then De Jong, Wijnaldum and Thauvin can all play a supporting striker #10 role.
    Would rather see Ayoze develop more than Austin come in.
    Happily see them swap Austin for cisse in the summer though

• 40 jayphoto // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM

One thing Tony Fernandes has shown as QPR head man is that he will gamble! I think he’ll definitely hold onto Austin. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Charlie sign a deal like de Gea where they bang up his wage to silly money (60k a week or so) and put in a 10m release clause

• 41 jayphoto // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Against West Ham we need width! They’ve picked up very handy results against Arsenal and Liverpool who both played incredibly narrow but Bournemouth played with lots of width and pulled them apart down the flanks. Very similar to how Bilic used to set up Croatia actually who also played far too narrow in midfield and left their full backs exposed

• 42 martoon // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:37 AM

SUTTY1978 re: your team selection – sorry my bed was calling last night. I like your team but I don’t think McClaren will be so bold away from home. Pretty sure he will start with Ed’s team.

• 43 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Someone at needs to sort out heir team of the week:

Two right sided Villa defenders(!!!) and Howard in goal with a rating of 8.5. If you look at the matches he only scored 6.5 and faced 15 shots, whereas Butland scored 8.2 and saw 29 shots. I have seen some curious picks but that takes the biscuit (don’t mention it to Penfold).

• 44 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:48 AM

# left sided, that could not deal with their pacey winger Mah…. (you know who)

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Agree with all of that. If we resort to camping deep in our own half we will lose. They have pace to spare and a bit of guile this year, very similar to Swansea in that respect and I’m sure Bilic will have highlighted this to them in the build up. The lineup selection will tell us a lot about our intent for this match. Personally I’d like to see Perez starting high up the pitch as an old fashioned inside forward with Thauvin on the other side.

Then either De Jong or Cisse through the middle. If it is De Jong then he will be key to dictating the tempo and creating opportunities to get in behind. This would allow for Gini and Sissoko to burst past him from deeper and support the players Thauvin or Perez in the box. If it is Cisse then he has to play on the last man, and make sure he creates space for himself in the box with Thauvin or Perez supporting depending on the approach of play.

If Cisse started up top I’d still like to see De Jong playing in midfield with Gini and Anita/Colback/Tiote. Sissoko missing out in this case as we will need a more disciplined midfielder in the mix.

I think De Jong is going to be crucial if we are to start trying to control games higher up the field. Fitness is the issue, but he will only get match fitness back by playing matches

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:50 AM

He will likely start with Ed’s team, but I don’t think it is anywhere near our best team.

• 47 cyprus // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:51 AM

I agree re the game. I don’t want a backs to the wall performance! Today we show we are a decent team which can take the game to them.

Yea yea, we want a team that tries (who came up with that? Confess), but, don’t you believe it Mike et al, in truth, we want a team that excites, competes and occasionally (actually, regularly), WINS.

• 48 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:52 AM

I have gone for a 1-1 draw tonight. We are without an away win since January and have only one point from our past eight away games.

• 49 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Who thinks Jack Warner is preparing to get ‘nailed up’ in this picture, Sepp (whiter than white) Blatter certainly knows
    a lot about racial harmony when it comes to facing a conviction.

• 50 jayphoto // Sep 14, 2015 at 7:56 AM

@SUTTY from cathro post – At Dundee Cathro was an advocate of that Dutch philosophy formation 1-9-0 where you have 1 out n out centreback and every other player can rotate and slot into any position. Was big on pass and movement, all players, defenders included have high technical ball skills etc. Think he worked all round there. Pretty sure at Valencia he did a lot of scouting the oppositions strengths and working with the defence to combat that. From what I’ve read he’s very astute tactically and takes an academic look at football which is microscopic.
    I’m guessing his role is the defence at Newcastle purely because Simpson being the other assistant is McClarens right hand man. Not sure how he coaches but I know as a manager Paul Simpsons sides were attack heavy and shipped a lot of goals.

• 51 jayphoto // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM

@Lilongwe – reckon our side is crying out for De Jong to be honest. Links attack and midfield better than anyone else we have.
    I also think, from what I’ve seen that Gini is clearly our best player. He’s the closest thing to a world class player we have. Against Arsenal he dropped into the cental mid role (#no.8 rather than no.10) and looked really good,had the work rate to cope and was surprisingly good defensively and strong. I think dropping him back to centre mid would get him more of the ball. Its the role he played last year when he won dutch footballer of the year and its the role he plays for Holland.
    From what I saw at ajax, Perez or cisse would thrive infront of de jong, very clever, sheringhamesque player. Think our side lacks a bit of intelligence and leadership sometimes

• 52 firebug666 // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:02 AM

I agree, it would be nice to see our players do all that mate.

I would hope that Perez gets the nod tonight, and it would be nice if we could get a goal or two, (just to show we can actually do it).

My gut feeling tells me it will be a long night with both teams cancelling each other out for most of the game, and if their is a winning goal in there somewhere it will more likely be down to a touch of luck rather than a touch of genius.

I just hope we are the lucky ones tonight.

Yeah we wanted a team that tries last season, this season we want a team that tries to win.

• 53 sing in the corner // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:02 AM

In my opinion people need to see this game in the right context. Its way too early to be judging how the team is going to play long term,and SM abilities as a coach. West Ham are at home, they are by no means a pushover and although its a game we should be looking to get points in, it makes sense to start / set up solid for this game. David Gold’s tweet about their likely bench showed they have got quality.
    I think at times the tendency for many fans is to think Fantasy Football / Football manager…

• 54 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:09 AM

I don’t think Perez is a centre forward, I think as a wider forward he would do very well, particularly with a player like Mitrovic in the centre. Alternatively, I wouldn’t mind seeing Perez playing the number 10, although I think he needs to mature a bit and needs to pick the pass better, something that will likely come with age and experience for him.

Gini is definitely not a number 10 from what I have seen. I’d agree he is better suited to playing a more orthodox central midfield role. He can win the ball, pass, and has the engine to get up and down the pitch. I think we would look better with him and De Jong both starting.

The third midfielder is one of three for me, Anita, Colback and Tiote. If Tiote can get back to form, he is head and shoulders above the others – partnering Gini will allow him to do what he does best, and will give him a chance of returning to the form he showed when he had Cabaye in there pulling the strings. I think his problem has come as he lacks faith in the other centre mids he played with, and has often tried to do too much because of it.

• 55 jayphoto // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM

@Lilongwe – agree with that! Hard to choose between Tiote, colback and Anita. As you saw Tiote on his day head and shoulders, looks woefully short of fitness. Wonder why hes not playing u21 games??
    Colback / Anita is a hard one. I actually think Anita is a much better footballer, when hes good hes 8/9 out of 10. But when he’s bad hes a 2/10. Colback on the other hand is much more consistent, posts a 6 or 7 out of 10 every game. Never seen him play terrible, but then never seen him play like Anita did against west ham or for 60 mins against Southampton.

• 56 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM

But it is early days in Bilic’s reign, and West Ham have had far more upheaval to their squad then we have. All the arguments of it is too early in McClaren’s time can equally be applied to tonights opponents. All the arguments about players settling can be applied as well, only with more emphasis to them. Same goes for our next opponents, Watford.

Bilic has changed the way West Ham play substantially, and it has brought them mixed results and performances. We have been consistent but far less impressive and have changed our approach far less so far.

• 57 jayphoto // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Quite hope Carroll plays. Don’t think I’ve seen a striker play worse against the toon than Carroll does. The moment he comes on, with the pace of Mbemba we can push our line right forward and hopefully play possession football in West Hams half.
    One think I’ve noticed, Bilic’s west ham are a bit like Pardews Newcastle/palace. Very well suited to playing away from home, sitting deep etc but seem a bit lost against teams they should attack and dominate

• 58 Jib // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:18 AM

I know they are several leagues below us but the way McClaren set up against Northampton Town is an insight into the way he would like his sides to play when all players are 100% especially at home.

De Jong

Obviously there are personnel changes there but only one DM and loads of width and plenty of bodies getting quickly in to the opposition box from all angles.

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:19 AM

I like Anita. Technically he is far better than Tiote or Colback. He reads the game better and offers support better. I prefer him in the deeper midfield role to Colback as he is far more disciplined and knows where he should be, when to drop in and cover better. Colback runs about and is much easier to pull out of position. He is more likely to put in a tackle, but also far more likely to give away a needless free kick.

Still, an on form Tiote is a better all round player than both by a long way. He is another that will only get fit through playing, he seems to only hit his peak 3 or four games into regular starts – anybody in the championship need a defensive midfielder for a month?

• 60 cyprus // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM

It’s tough to guess who will be the ‘game changer’. I’m not sure SDJ can actually take the pace of the PL,never mind running the pace of a game. Who knows though. That Pirlo guy did it, so did ZZ, and they were both so slow.

Key players tonight will probably be Widji, Siss, Colb. Thauvin, if they try – and play well Fire 🙂 and… Cisse, who’ll get our goal, were we to win by 1-0…

• 61 BandB // Sep 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Teams that “camp on our 18 yard line” might struggle to break us down. as Arsenal and Manchester United did.
    Teams that attack us directly and at pace as Swansea did, splitting our central defenders and getting in high balls, may well cut this shield wall to pieces.

previous post: Is This An Interview With Newcastle’s Next Head Coach