The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Interested In Former Manchester United Center-Back

9:22 am, Sunday, September 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 199 Comments

Last summer Newcastle were linked with then Manchester United center-back Michael Keane, but the then 21 year-old was sent out on loan to newly promoted Burnley,  and in January the deal was made permanent.

But with Burnley having been relegated,  the 22 year-old is playing in the Championship and there’s news in the Sun today that Newcastle are again interested in signing the youngster.

michael keane burnley

Michael Keane – Burnley center-back

The report suggests that Keane is a target of Newcastle’s for the upcoming January transfer window, with Everton also interested.

Keane came through the Youth Academy at Manchester, and had loan spells at Leicester, Derby, Blackburn and Burnley before signing full time for the Clarets last year.

It’s interesting that Michael has a twin brother Will, who is a striker and still at the Red Devils, but on loan at Preston for the season.

Newcastle head coach McClaren knows all about Michael Keane,  because he was manager at Derby County when Michael was on loan there from November 2013, through January of the next year, when he played 8 times for County.

Keane has been playing well for Burnley, and he is starting to attract the interest of some Premier League clubs.

The 6ft 2ins defender is said to have been impressed with Steve McClaren while he was at Derby County, and Newcastle have to look to bring in a center-back who can eventually take over at the club when Coloccini finally hangs up his boots.

It’s expected that both Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson will not be retained by the club, when their contracts run out next summer.

Newcastle signed the impressive 21 year-old Chancel Mbemba during the summer from Anderlecht, , and Keane would also seem to be a very good acquisition for Newcastle, and he would add some height at the back for the Tyneside club.

Keane played for the England U19 and U20 sides and 16 times for the England U21 side, and he is a classy defender.

He has played 28 times for Burnley so far, and in his career including his loan spells he has 127 total appearances with 16 goals.

We hope the Sun report is accurate and that Newcastle will try to sign the Stockport-born player in January.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

199 responses so far ↓

• 1 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:28 AM

http: //www . chroniclelive .co . uk/ sport /football /football – news / decision- time – approaching –
    newcastle- united – 10043561
    Lookinh at this aricle we think we have 3 yrs to make a Top 6 club . But Lee said 3 windows and
    Mcca said 150m is available . He wld have made a whole of changes but said a few at a time .
    Summer 15 – Winter 16 – Summer 16 . That ’s means next season we will b challenging Top 6 . Not
    my words Lee and Mcca.

• 2 cyprus // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Toon,
    I agree with what you said regarding the necessity for pace. Then you said we only have pace in Aarons and Ober.

Not so. The fastest recorded player in the PL last year was Sissoko. Apologies to mention this Lil, if you are reading 🙂

• 3 geordiesteve520 // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Rio Ferdinand was raving about this lad a few weeks back calling him the best young CB in the country along with Stones…high praise. I don’t knowing about him if honest butuat be better than Willo so get him in.

• 4 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:39 AM

cyprus

Ssissoko was the fastest and created most chances in the EPL.

• 5 OneAlanShearer // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:41 AM

I am yet to hear or see any quote saying we will sign players in 3 consecutive windows. They juat said 3 windows. If we sign significant players in January I’d be very surprised.

• 6 cyprus // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Will,
    Don’t tell Lil 🙂

• 7 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Come on, everyone knows how the club is run.
    We’ll buy in January only if we have to. If not the situation will be reviewed in the summer window. But don’t expect another 50mil available.

• 8 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM

OneAllanShearer

Mcca said it. I think the last press conference beforw deadline day. He talked abt:
    1. 150m
    2. 3 windows not 3 years
    3. Making changes slowly.

• 9 croftus5678 // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:57 AM

wijnaldum and mbemba are also no slouches.

looking for our first win against the hammers and to hopefully pull ourselves out of relegation and put chelscum in it 🙂

i’ll go 3-0 to pull some of that goal difference back ! siem with 2 and cisse with 1.

rolando would be a great signing also get him on a 5 year then start playing him and thauvin on either wing with sissoko in the central.

• 10 croftus5678 // Sep 13, 2015 at 9:59 AM

——————–krul——————–
    jan—–mbem———colo—–hair
    ——————sisso——————–
    thau——————————-rola
    ———-siem———wij————–
    ——————cisse——————–

• 11 cyprus // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Imagine this team:

Krul
    Sis-Sissoko- Socks-Sisso
    Siss-Sox
    Sis-Sissoko- Socks
    Siss-Sox

Still, maybe not enough goals or tackles 🙂

• 12 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Cyprus
    ok Sissoko is a pacey powerful player, thing is he’s often the only one who carries real pace.
    if a team lacks a bit of quality pace makes up for it. But pace is needed on the wings pity Gabby hadn’t more quality but at least he gets us up the pitch, which is something we struggle to do.

• 13 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:05 AM

We seem to get linked alot with players who have either been at Derby or been associated Derby and or McClaren.

Strangely we haven’t signed even one player from Derby…my guess is because they are vastly overpriced!

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:08 AM

You need all sorts of players in a modern team!

We are a 80tees or 90tees British team…football have moved on with or without England! Come join the rest of us!

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:09 AM

*we are not…

• 16 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM

repost;
    team id like to see for hammers…
    ——————————-krul——————————-
    janmaat———–mbemba—–colo————-haidara
    ———————anita———–gino———————–
    sissoko——————-dejong——————thauvin
    ——————————-perez—————————–

team i think we’ll see…

——————————krul——————————-
    janmaat———-mbemba—–colo————-haidara
    ———————-anita———colback—————–
    sissoko——————-gino——————–thauvin
    —————————-cisse——————————-

• 17 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM

BandB- I had not seen that – only Tsunki and Jinky Jimmy’ posts. My current setting does not show times but I get other features which I prefer.
    I have adopted the policy of ignoring random posts addressed at me rather than to me. I was not aware of the post you have alluded to until just now.
    I really don’t want to devote time to the nonsense side of the blog and welcome the rise in self regulation. As I said recently, I fly solo and am not beholding to anyone.
    It’s a bit late but thanks for your kind words.
    Adidas or as Belfast would say ta-ra.

• 18 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM

We’re definitely working harder as a team in the defensive side of our game but we have forgotten you need to score to win games, or and keep the ball better than 30%.

• 19 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM

my best team:.
    …………………….Krul
    Janmatt….Mbemba. …..Colo……Haidara
    ……………..Wijnaldum…….Colback
    Sissoko…………..De Jong……………..Thauvin
    ……………………….Mitrovic
    Subs:
    Darlow, Taylor, Perez, Aarons, Anita, Obertan, Cisse.

• 20 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM

toon kk
    i think that will come with confidence and to be honest all the teams we’ve faced in maccas 1st four games dominated possession of the ball when we’ve played them previously and give the players gel time

• 21 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:20 AM

will die
    hammers team?…would u start cisse or perez with nitro out?

• 22 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:21 AM

toon kk

Am worried as u r at the attacking front.

Mcca sees that too and he will bring de Jong in. Wijnaldum shld become a box to box he has the energy and can win the ball. I choose Anita out of that team. Not better than Colback. We need all our best players in. Wijnaldum and De Jong have to play.

Sissoko wasnt fully fit at Arsenal so I believe he will get rolling. Thauvin or Perez I wld choose Perez coz I know he isnt a CF.

• 23 John Tudor // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM

toodle pip old bean

• 24 BandB // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Ian

I posted the remarks on a dead page myself, as I have no wish to see the blog spend another day discussing the subject of you, as I am sure is not your intention.
    I was rather pleased to see Ruddy back, and I know you will be too, as you are saddened by the numbers who no longer post.
    Maybe Sack Llambias had some reason to want to change things back to a discussion about you. Who knows what goes on in peoples’ minds.

• 25 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:24 AM

SPRINGY

I wld put Perez. Cisse is a poacher but I nolonger rate him.

• 26 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Jesper, the reason we havent signed anyone from Derby is because McClaren has nothing to do with choosing the players we buy. If were going for English players expect them to be from Northampton which is where Carr is from. Toney was obviously from there as was Darlow originally.
    Carr basically only talks to about three agents and his mates.

• 27 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:27 AM

My best team

Janmaat….Mbemba…….Col……Haidara
    Aarrons Sissoko Thauvin
    Mit Cisse Perez

• 28 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Not forgetting Krul in goal of course

• 29 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM

will die
    cisse’s close control has been woeful at the start of the season…hopefully he’s been working hard in training….i would like to see perez start up front but the way macca has been blowing smoke up cisse’s arse in some articles i think he’ll start him

• 30 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Croftus – great looking team, would love to see that

Springy – think your second team is what we will see. Groundhog day. McClarens mantra seems to be – if plan A doesn’t work, stick with plan A!

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Cyprus,
    It doesn’t bother me when people talk about Sissoko, no need to apologise. He is fast, so is Obertan.

Will die,
    Where did you hear Sissoko created the most chances? He didn’t, not even close. I doubt he even created the most chances at Newcastle, but would have to look that up!

• 32 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Sutty…I know we like to believe Carr picks all the players, but lets not dwell on the past and start another string of posts about Pardew 😉

It does seem so that McClaren is going to make his mark and players are not just going to be signed on Carrs merits alone.

The reason why no players from Derby have been signed is down to two things:

a) no experience
    b) vastly overpriced

I agrree with someone earlier who said we need experience as well and we need British players as well. We need a balance of untried gems, players with experience and British players.

We have signed experienced and English players in the past, but they have just not been good enough…and overpriced! I can except overpricing as long as you get a better player than what we have.

• 33 John Tudor // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:36 AM

its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled

• 34 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:37 AM

sutty
    i said in a earlier post that it would be a brave manager/head coach that would change the modern system of playing 4231…not a fan if im honest always seems like our striker just jogs about on his lonesome in this formation…2 up top for me….some how?

• 35 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:39 AM

jesper
    reason c) probs not good enough tbh

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Anyway, off out, just popped on to have a flick through of the news. Not much of interest, but I would be happy with Michael Keane as part of 4 good quality centre halves.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:44 AM

BandB,
    Just one more thing….
    Wow, I noticed that post from sack Llambias last night and the typed in name and date, and thought it a very odd random post, however, I did not recognise the link between the post left today, shenanigans me thinks !

• 38 Jib // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Steven Naismith’s hat trick against Chelsea yesterday perfectly illustrates that people are getting way too hung up about the choice of striker.
    We have goal scoring potential throughout our midfield as long as we get our build up play sorted out.

• 39 croftus5678 // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:46 AM

@32 jesper

i’ve hated the way we have done things under ashley !

not all bad but still the majority has been so i’m close to the front when it comes to telling the world how much i’ve been let down while trying to be realistic about the team that pulls at my heart strings !

and here comes the “but” ! our signings have been well well well above derby’s standard of player ! if we was to sign anyone it would only be the very best of their team as a squad player or an up and coming talent for the dev squad so i wouldnt expect us to sign anyone from them tbh.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:46 AM

SPRINGY…I’ll agree on that.

• 41 BandB // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM

jail…

As long as that’s the last on the subject….
    Why don’t we play 4-1-3-2?

• 42 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM

jib
    having 11 players with the ability to control the ball would help alot!lol……your team for the hammers?

• 43 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:49 AM

SPRINGY

Mcca also said he is impressive in training but not matchdays. We shld go for De Jong & Perez

• 44 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Croftus…I wouldn’t expect us to sign Derby players either…I was merely wondering why it had not happened!

…we get linked with them of course…or players associated with Derby. But I am glad it has not happened 🙂

• 45 croftus5678 // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM

@35 springy

i agree.

mitrovic with perez would be a perfect combination imo esp when perez learns the possition.

with rolando and thauvin who can/will cross into the box and either siem or wijnaldum bang in cm for their creativeness and passing (more siem imo) it would be high action front line we would have imo.

• 46 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:53 AM

bandb
    dont think our holding players are good enough by themselves….the last player to do it sort of by himself was tiote coz cabaye used to push on and join the attack and did well….maybe if he got back to his best and midfield get there fitness up to scratch to get up and down the to help they may start doin that

• 47 lesh // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Could Nasmith become the new Charlie Aus….

Phew, nearly mentioned you know who!

• 48 hibbit // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM

there’s an old saying …….bullsit baffles brains and that certainly applies on here because at times were knee deep in it

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM

BandB,
    I like the 4-3-3 I used ten years ago when hooked on FM. One holding midfielder, (Tiote) two attacking midfielders, (Wijnaldum and SDJ) and three forwards, Aarons Cisse and Perez, I took Scarborough from the fourth division to a respectable mid table in the PL with this formation, however in the real world, I think that team would be easily took apart.

• 50 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 10:59 AM

will die
    need to try and shoe horn de jong in there somewhere..somehow…not convinced aarons is there yet tbh…not knockin him just think he’s been out for so long will take a while to get back to what he was showing at the beginning of last season

• 51 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Jesper, the players we have bought this summer had all been scouted for months or years before McClaren rocked up so it doesn’t seem he’s having too much input. Perhaps he is in whittling down a list of players that Carr has put together but not in actually picking the ones that go on the list in the first place, hence no Derby players!
    Besides he ruined their one good prospect in Hughes, took him from a £10m rated player when he arrived to a championship chugger by the time he left.

• 52 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:01 AM

BandB- Relax. I’m here. I was rather hoping it was a fleeting passing through moment. Given a choice I prefer engaging with a Bobby Bee type of toon football fanatic; he had been to the Arsenal game the night before.
    Charm offensives tend not to last very long. I miss the football interaction now I don’t live in toon. The blog in my opinion misses the breadth of football nous of bills, tequila and Jimmy who lives in the Southern Hemisphere, for example.

I do wish you would make your mind up about me, coded messages take longer to understand.
    Catch ya on the flipside.
    Seeya!

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Obviously not with those players, Delroy Facey was banging in 20 a season for me !

• 54 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM

On another subject.

We’ve bought all young players this summer, who do you think has the greatest potential to become an absolutely top class player

And who do you think will actually become the best player.

For me Mitro has the greatest potential
    Wijnaldum will become the best player

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Ian Toon,
    You have been continuously been exposed as a fraudster, what more must you do to make peoples minds up !

• 56 croftus5678 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:09 AM

@46 springy

i find the positions of dm and am strange tbh !

i see the need for them and why teams use them but theres always a part of me that thinks its just putting teams at a disadvantage !

to me thats 2 positions taken by 2 players when 1 player should be doing both jobs ! i compare kevin nolan / gary speed / rob lee ect ect against a cheik tiote / vurnon anita / siem de-jong ect.

tiote for example will maybe defend very well when the other team are attacking but are in effective and not involved at all when we are on the attack (i.e. 50% of the game not involved or you get where i’m coming from) and vise versa.

where as with players who can do everything are always involved (sissoko is a prime example here as he’s always defending and always attacking)

my view is 2 cm’s no dm or acm just cm’s colback pushed forward and told to use his energy foreverything / sissoko told the cm is his / wijnaldum the same (not sure on his defending mind you not seen enough of it yet) siem as a striker.

• 57 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:10 AM

sutty
    potential thauvin
    best mbemba
    not havin ago at mitro or gini…like them both.. but there in the two positions where there are alot of talent about

• 58 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM

BandB…because McClaren only knows 4-2-3-1?

• 59 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM

With Marvueax and Obertan around I wld send Aarons on loan till the end of the season.

• 60 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Sutty

I think they r all good players where they came from and we jst have to continue their development. The ball is in Mccaz hands.

• 61 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM

croftus
    get what saying….tiote used to just back up the play basically…and recycle the ball to the “attacking”players….if every player could get it in there heads to sprint back and fill in a position/area u would’nt need holding midfielders….unfortunately they dont

• 62 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Sutty…it seems Carr has a list if scouting information that goes way back. Carr even said he scouted Cabs the first time when he was 20.

McClaren may not have suggested any of the players we signed but I honestly believe he has approved the player.

McClaren is not the scout but with him on the board I am sure he will in time he will give input on players he want.

That’s what him being on the board signals to me.

• 63 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM

McClaren has played 433 & 442 etc before but seems incredibly rigid in using 4231 at the Toon. Even Pardew would occasionally try something different in preseason but every single game it has been the same. I think he’s just scared of taking a hiding and sees it as the safest formation because in reality we play 451 or just 45 when we have someone sent off!

• 64 bladeuser // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Cisse is pants and so is s Mac
    We will b in the bottom three all season
    ASHLEY OUT
    WELSH OUT

• 65 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:21 AM

will die
    sending aarons out on loan after he’s signed a contract is a good shout…if it was a lower league side he may well appreciate nufc more and realise being here is the best thing for him…just get a little gut feeling he maybe lookin to move on for money….if offered by someone

• 66 Jib // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    “Ian Toon,
    You have been continuously been exposed as a fraudster”

No he hasn’t

• 67 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Will die, with Aarons around I would send Obertan & Marvueax on loan for the rest of the season!

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Jib,
    Yes he has

• 69 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Jesper, i’d agree he has a small say on approving a player, certainly not the final call.
    He has as much Authority on transfers as Moncur.

• 70 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:27 AM

sutty
    i wonder if marvueax has anything to offer the toon side….maybe on the right…sissoko area..backup type of thing and aarons backup to thauvin….marv apparantly created a good few goals last year….ano its a weaker league but would interesting to see if he can contribute

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM

I simply won’t accept that Graham Carr is to blame for all our shite signings, how can you blame him for Riverie when Bony, Remy etc have slipped by us. Cabella never worked out, neither did Djemba Djemba, we could have easily ended up with Ronaldo instead of Viana.

• 72 croftus5678 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM

@63 sutty

macca maybe came into the team and looked at our players thinking the best formation for our best players is X formation to get the best out of our better players and still have enough quality to cope with injuries ect.

i dont think players can change formation every week as they need to learn where others are positionaly on the field and that by knowing one formation inside out with practice you can almost blind pass to an area by instinct and a certain player with certain skills will be there.

when you adapt a formation to the other teams style of play you will always be a step behind as it wont come natural.

we have 2 main strikers in mit and cisse so imo 1 true striker is the way to go just in case of injuries/suspentions ect.

we have 3-4 no 10 role players so atleast 1 probably 2 would be a good choice here ect ect

• 73 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM

jail
    bony gomi and the likes of ayew imo was down to money…ashley or the club would’nt give what was needed to get them here…..remy is just a mercenary…goes to highest bidder and dont think he would of stopped long had he signed

• 74 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Jail, things have changed this season. I think previously Carr had a list of say 5 players for a position, the club (ashley, Charnley, JFK or whoever you want to blame!) chose one of the cheaper options that they thought they could get a deal done with.
    I think it now run through the board of four people and they each have an input, Carr is obviously one of those and has more weight to push through the players in the top 1 or 2 on his list. Budget is set before the window, the board make it happen (or not).
    Carr’s Bwave new world!

• 75 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Croftus, I get your point, but usually what you would do is try things out, I mean where would the harm have been in trying out 433 against York City? We lost anyway with his wonderful 4231 so couldnt have been any worse. He might then have seen what all the supporters know 4231 does not work with the players we have! Pardew proved this to death!

• 76 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Sutty,
    We desperately need a win !

• 77 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:46 AM

sutty
    i could’nt see the harm last year when we were gettin hammered every week in tryin different formations to try and change things…but only a strong coach would do it coz if it failed its on them and not the players

• 78 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:49 AM

anyone
    the team you’s would like to see…and the one you expect to see for the morra?

• 79 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Springy, on Marv, not sure really, not really a winger in my book, if he is then its on the left for me, thought he was awful the couple of time he played for us on the right.

• 80 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM

OH YES HE HAS!!!!

• 81 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Springy, thats the whole point of preseason though, try things out, so because he didn’t and doesn’t have the balls now we’re stuck with just Plan A?

• 82 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:52 AM

sutty
    he never seemed to get a run of games…injuries saw to that….obertan seems to be the back up to sissoko at the minute…thats why i asked….im not a obertan hater…but he just doesnt show up enough

• 83 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Jail, I agree, finding myself morphing into Mr Negative!

• 84 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:54 AM

sutty
    true

• 85 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Springy, you’re right we’re lacking wide right. I prefer right foot on the right and vice versa. Certainly in need of some options there. Perez might end up there at some point as well

• 86 croftus5678 // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM

@79 sutty

i agree.

player with great vision and passing skills but soo soo lazy and cant run or tackle or anything else really.

for me he’s a very very poor mans siem and there is not many players i wouldnt pick ahead of him and that includes bigi and vukic….even fergusson.

he’s a very awkward player to fit into the team where he can be effective imo ! i hope we can do it mind but i wouldnt be able to do it for sure.

• 87 OneAlanShearer // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Will die – I hope it materialises.

I don’t know why people keep putting Wijnaldum in the 2 of a 4231 he won’t play there he joined to play as a number 10 which is his best position. Also sissoko is best played on the right and doesn’t tackle well enough or track back enough to play in the 2. Yes we need a better player to play in the 2 but using either of those just won’t happen. It’s anita, Tiote or colback for now. If we play 4231. If we switch to 433 or 451 and push up the pitch I think that will suit the players we have both Wijnaldum and sissoko are attack minded.

I hope to see a more fluid attacking game from us sooner rather than later starting at West Ham. I would play perez up front with cisse staying as an impact player.

• 88 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:02 PM

im the same left foot left and so on….just think it allows u to cross on the run which gives the adavantage to the attacker… some will argue it depends on the striker tho…nee good crossing balls to say perez….but i believe if the cross is quality and striker knows its comin he has the advantage

• 89 bettyswallocks // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:07 PM

The problem Mc has with players like Aarons is that they need a run of games to get up to speed , feeling confident and match sharp. As there are now no easy games in the PL it’s hard to bed players in and give them the mileage they need to progress.

Playing in the reserves or out on loan in a lower league isn’t PL experience and if you believe they you only improve at something by doing it regularly then Mc is left with a real dilemma.

• 90 bettyswallocks // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Taking the train in the morning with a good bunch of lads. Nice bit of lunch and a few beeyas then over to the Boleyn. It’s a while since we’ve all been away so really looking forward to it.

• 91 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM

onealanshearer
    how about 4141
    —————————-krul—————————–
    janmaat———mbemba—colo————haidara
    ——————anita/colback/tiote——————
    sissoko———-dejong—–gini————thauvin
    ———————-perez/cisse/mitro—————–
    obviously 1 of the 3 players

• 92 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM

We constantly play with this one striker up front, for us it just doesn’t work, it’s just getting Mitrovic frustrated, with our poor possession and static style. We’ve completely turned the tables from trying to score with a team with no creative players and no cutting edge to defending fo 90mins with more creative players, .and a striker starved of service.

• 93 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM

betty
    sounds like your ganna have a canny day mate.. enjoy

• 94 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I think the problem we have is Seim Dong. he is neither a CM or a Striker he is in between. so the only formation we can play with him is 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2

He can only play behind the attakers. Then we have many wingers 6 I think.

• 95 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:17 PM

OneAlan, I think its because people want to see more from the team in that area other than fruitless workrate and five yard passes. To have any hope of being an effective attacking side you cannot have two of your midfielders being such limited players.
    We are effectively down to 9 men when we have possession of the ball because the two incumbents in the holding positions offer nothing of any quality going forward. Sissoko, Wijnaldum and De Jong in midfield should offer enough going forward and defensively to give any team a game, also adds more fluidity and interchange of positions and keeps the opposition on their toes. At the moment we are bloody easy to defend against!

• 96 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:19 PM

toon kk
    could try 442 diamond thing
    —————————krul————————–
    janmaat——-mebemba—colo———haidara
    —————-anita/colback/tiote—————-
    sissoko————————————–thauvin
    ———————gini/dejong———————
    —————perez/cisse/mitro/river————-
    1 from 3 holding
    1 from 2 at/mid
    2 from 4 strikers
    just an idea

• 97 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:19 PM

SDJ is a good man to have on the bench, you need game changers, he’s too static to play for 90 mins.

• 98 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Sutty…lets hope he has more input than that 😉 lol

• 99 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM

A lot of debate about Carr on the last few threads but I wonder does he watch the Toon at all?

If hes over in France , Spain or Holland at the weekends when does he have time to watch our team to know what we really need or to see how some players are not suited to the premiership?

In fact when does he have time to watch other premiership teams as well ? Just as so many players seem to get signed for cheap by other teams which we seem to never look at all ! Montero , Cresswell, Huth etc all signed for a couple of million and would have improved our squad

• 100 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Betty, hope you enjoy your day, did the same sort of thing for WH away a couple of seasons ago, crap game but good day out, hospitality there is shoddy though so if I go again I’ll be finding somewhere better to eat!

• 101 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Kk is right breaking in the top four needs alot of work and finance which can take like another 5 years to materialize. Sell off some good players as we rebuild.

We wld also need a mega deal for the stadum, shirt and sponsors. We will need like 200m of MA’s money.

• 102 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Springy
    quite like the look of your team we need more threat up front, we can still work as a unit when defending.

• 103 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:26 PM

toon kk
    who would u pick out of the 3 players holding,2 attacking and the 2 from four strikers

• 104 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:27 PM

u could play de jong up with one striker as beardo did with cole?

• 105 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Lee he will watch us on TV

• 106 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Charnley, Interesting points. I’m sure he’s not looking at players to fill deficiencies in our squad, which is what he should be doing. Thats why we always seem overloaded with certain types of players.
    If you think back to Charnley’s Chron interview in January he said they were bringing in a manager who would follow the clubs preferred football style, i.e. carr’s chosen style for the players he chooses. So he’s happily now choosing his fantasy football team that his puppet will put out on the pitch.
    I wonder if Carr sits in a big leather chair stroking a white cat… “Mr Pard…er, McClaren, I’ve been expecting you”

• 107 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Sell off some good players while we rebuild? Why not sell off the poor players and build around our good ones?

• 108 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM

OneAlanShearer @87 & SPRINGY(thanks for the comment yesterday)

Gini and Sissoko are definitely better at going forward, as is de Jong but are essentially midfielders. Despite the rational that they are not very good defensively, if you start with them in them in the middle of the park and build the team around them, I believe we will have a very good attacking team.

The trouble is do you put a holding midfielder(s) behind them to boost the defence at the cost to the attack, or play upto three in front of them and hope you score more than the opposition?

• 109 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:39 PM

@Will Die

He maybe got bored of watching us under Pardew and Carver and just started throwing any old player in……

• 110 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Springy
    id have Wijn just behind the two strikers. I would like to try all our different striker’s out in different pairs just to see which worked best, instead of the one up front formation that restricts us to hardly a shot at goal.

• 111 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Sissoko Wijnaldum Thauvin
    De Jong
    Mitro Perez

Now that’s how a midfield and attack should look

• 112 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:44 PM

will die for the toon army @101

It is a convincing argument but am I right in thinking that our squad, last season, was the sixth most expensive?

The point being that it is still possible for freakish outcomes that can still provide a sliver of hope. However, the way the top teams have strength in depth, provided by their commercial backers, makes them unlikely to fail in qualifying for the CL. As indicated by the very limited number of teams that appear in the competition season after season.

• 113 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:45 PM

WWSBRD

I think the good ones cant wait for too long. 5 yrs. We are not City to hold onto them.
    Apparently we have a good start our young players are very good. We have so many players under the age of 26 with long term contracts.

The losses of Pardew will be leaving soon. 1 yr remaing on their contracts. Obertan Msrvueax Taylor Wllo Elliott will be leaving soon.

If we make good signings in the next windows then we will b ok. as we move up the table.

• 114 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Good afternoon one and all,

Found myself locked out of the blog for a few days. Felt like a naughty kid, sat on the front step, looking through the window at the rest of thr family enjoying themselves.

Then the family get drunk and start beating the hell out of each other – and suddenly the urge to sort my password out became for less important.

Anyway, I’m back – Wipe the tears away.

I see Ruddy is back. Go easy on him. Remember…it’s a new season and everyone deserves a chance…a clean slate 😉

As for the Keegan link. I think it’s well recognised that CL football, or more importantly, regular CL football is hard to achieve outside the normal “big boys” these days.

Not sure that’s what it’s all about, at this stage anyway.

As is known on here, I’m a bit of a toon fan outsider. Not from the area, never even been to SJP (Ouch, okay, who threw the rock?), but for me it’s never been about CL or believing we deserve or are entitled to be there.

Football is about the competition, the excitement, the passion.

That is what has been missing from this club. CL is really only being discussed because The Messiah took a few minutes to chat to SKY.

• 115 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:50 PM

The formation that has got to be given a run of games despite the result and would need the defensive organisation that has been shown:

Thavin———Itchy———Perez
    Gini———–de Jong——–Sissoko
    Haidara—Collo—Mbemba—Janmaat
    ——————-Krul

• 116 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:53 PM

will die
    If they hadn’t been sold NUFC as a stepping stone they would probably be more patient. But we can keep them until their contract is up pretty easily, or show ambition and convince them to stay

If we had progressed instead of regressed after finishing 5th some of those players would still be here

• 117 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Good day Ibizatoon

Nice to see you back as your opinion (as an outsider) is valued. Best keep the safety helmet on as I am sure there will be more muck being thrown your way.

• 118 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM

lindisfarne
    if u could get that team to defend well…nee complaints…offers alot goin forward and has most if not all of the best players on the pitch……big if tho?

• 119 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:00 PM

ibiza
    not to bad sittin on the step where u are tho is it!!lol

• 120 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Lindisfarne…Good day to you too. Safety helmet is a must at all times. Please don’t tell me there are others out there who aren’t using theirs?

Just think of the casualties!

Yo…That particular “if” is a hard one to get past. If only Mike had wanted to win something back then!

• 121 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Aarons has done next to nothing. The club is right to keep it real and to refuse to roll over to his agent’s demands. At this moment, Jordan Ibe looks a much better player and prospect.

• 122 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Spring… I struggle on, somehow 🙂

• 123 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM

question for everyone..simple yes or no
    jon jo shelvey if we could get him would u want him?….to me 2-3 yrs ago nar looked a liability….but now he seems to be improving all the time?

• 124 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:07 PM

ibiza
    must be tough…keep ya chin up!…..hahaha

• 125 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Looking at THE FUTURE:

GK: We look ok for the next decade with Krul, Darlow and Woodman.
    RB: Janmatt – 4yrs and It will be according to how Mbabu will develop looked good Arsenal U21 but still a long way to go. Will have to buy a new Good RB.
    LB: I think we r ok for the next 8 yrs. Haidara and dummett have shown alot of promise.
    CB: We need to make a big signing here. Colo Taylor and Willo wll b leaving soon so Mbemba will need a new partner while Sakta Good and Lasceles can be good back up.
    CM: Tiote Goufrann Bigi are leaving soon. we need new holding players better than wat we have Anita and Colback shld b back up at best. We need new players but this will DEPEND on where Wijanldum will play either as a CM or CAM.
    CAM: De Jong is the best in this position so we shld draft Perez in there to learn and succeed from him. We need no signing here.
    RM: Sissoko will become better bu will need more cover and a better competition.
    LM: Thauvin and Aarons are the Future of NUFC
    CF: Mitrovic is the future. But will need more cover and better signings.

• 126 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Blackley….This is true, he has not yet proved himself, however, from what he has shown so far, he looks to have good potential…and isn’t that what we mostly buy these days?

Not sure how the buy with potential idea will work without some risks being taken. By the time they’ve proved something, they’re too expensive or want bigger and better things.

I’m not suggesting we throw loads of money at the lad, common sense needs to be used. Surely part of the thought process is though that they’d need to go out and find / buy another player if he moves on. From what I’ve seen, which isn’t loads, I’d still be bending over backwards (again, within reason) to keep the lad at the club.

• 127 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Blackley
    Aarons hasn’t actually been given a chance to do anything this season, he needs a few games, he’s got potential to be one of our best players, he’s got something the rest haven’t got and that’s pace.

• 128 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Ibiza…it’s not easy to remember ones password when it’s
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 😉

Just ask Mel Brooks

• 129 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM

will die
    cm is why i asked that question above your post

• 130 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM

SPRINGY – no, I think you have your St.Georgies goggles on.

• 131 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM

WIll Die…Sorry, I want nothing to do with a future that has no Willo or Colo in it.

Springy…Thanks for that. It’s nice to know there are people out there sympathetic towards my plight.

Yes or no answer? Are you trying to kill me? Far too decisive. You didn’t even manage it yourself! 🙂

It’d depend on the deal for me. I can think of better, but can also think of worse.

• 132 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:14 PM

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew

Like all Virgins, he keeps missing out on 6!

Very puerile, but I could not resist.

• 133 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Jesper…Joking aside, I thought I’d never forget “Ashleyisgreat”….maybe I used a lower case a in Ashley?

It actually doesn’t appear to want to let me to set my own password anymore. I now have one that looks like Alfred came up with it. As if he has run his hand from one side of the keyboard to the other. Oh well.

• 134 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:16 PM

lindisfarne
    haha.. i was thinkin of the way he took the piss when we played swansea…..maybe if we’d had 11 men on the pitch he myt not of stood out as much??…..but he’s the type of player i think we need in anita colback position….bog imposing player who can pass imo

• 135 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Lindisfarne…puerile, but still funny 🙂

• 136 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM

big not bog!!

• 137 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Ibiza…qwerty is always a good password 😉 lol

• 138 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM

will die for the toon army

the FUTURE looks a bit narrow

• 139 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Ambition has been shown by Spurs and Liverpool but nothing is done to keep their best players. I think Everton is the best at doing it. They hold on very well.

• 140 Jib // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Scum v Spuds

• 141 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM

ibiza@131
    thats why i asked the question coz im undecided??…just wondered what people thought!!lol

• 142 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Will die
    at least we hung onto our best players in the last transfer window, having said that not many top clubs would be queuing up for them.

• 143 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:26 PM

SPRINGY

You make Penfolds Love Child sound like all of our central midfield players rolled into one. Its a shame Cabaye had pretensions of being a CL player, but the less said about that the better (shhh – did Ed hear?)

• 144 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Sunderland playing a 4 3 3 formation

• 145 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:29 PM

toon kk
    keepin hold of our better players was’nt hard coz we were so poor last year…when we get better(hopefully)then it’ll be a challenge to hang on to them or we’ll go backwards again

• 146 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Whose that guy that just the record for the most International goals for England and where did he come from?

(sorry, not picking on you wdftta)

• 147 Lindisfarne // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM

# broke

• 148 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM

lindisfarne
    penfold love child……canny!hahaha

• 149 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Jesper…Wow, that’s a good one. The uncrackable password!

Springy…I see – Well, I’m glad I could be of no assistance to you 🙂

• 150 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM

toon kk

I dont think any of them were linked to others clubs we were so poor last season. If we did then I think it was Mccaz decision to keep them . around

• 151 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Springy
    exactly.

• 152 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:35 PM

ibiza
    your non-assistance was gratefully accepted!!lol

• 153 toon kk // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:42 PM

I wonder how many goals Mitrovic will actually score this season, we’ve all had a glimpse of what he’s about. Any ideas on his total?

• 154 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Springy…Funny enough, I hear that all the time.

I don’t think I should read too much in to it mind.

So then – I’ve been wondering at what stage McClaren is going to mix up our formation a bit. I see a lot of people putting it down to building foundations and making us hard to beat (let’s be serious, it’s not to do with having 10 men on the field, we started the games with this mindset). Perhaps the idea is to tweak in the 2nd half (which hasn’t materialised due to the sending offs), but wasn’t that the Pardew approach? Stay in it until 70 mins, then try and nick it?

If we’re going to go through an adjustment period, would it not be best to start as we mean to go on, or is 4-2-3-1 the master plan?

I still can’t help but feel instead of being pressured to play 2 holding midfielders, we should have paid more attention to the defence during the summer. Yes, they have been heroic in the last games, but it wasn’t just the last line back there and nor is this anything new. Pardew managed it a few times too, along with some absolute drubbings too of course.

• 155 sing in the corner // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:43 PM

I see the mackems are singing at Whlte Hart Lane..
    ‘Wise men say…only foo-wells rush in…’

Ha ha. Planks.

• 156 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Ibizatoon

Why do we still talk abt Pardew? I thought that was ending in the transfer market.

• 157 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:48 PM

toonkk
    good question?…..10-12 hopefully….but stayin on the pitch and bringin other players into the game equally as important…need goals from everywhere
    ibiza
    i think they were tough games we’ve had considering our fitness and stupid pre-season and sending off’s we had…hopefully things will start to get better now they’ve played together a bit

• 158 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM

will die…I’m not sure why you would think that.

What’s the issue with discussing what has gone on before? Surely looking back can give us a good indication of where we are and where we’re heading?

• 159 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Springy…I didn’t really mean performances / results, more the team set up.

It would seem that so far, the approach has been somewhat defensive.

Just wondered whether this was the plan for the first few games, or what Steve views as harder games, or whether this was the plan going forward?

• 160 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Ibiza…so it wasn’t qwerty you were using? 😉

• 161 sing in the corner // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM

defoe missed a 1 on one. should’ve scored. they look decent on the counter…

• 162 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Afternoon chaps. How are we all today?

Ibiza, no need to look out for me, we don’t want people thinking you’ve crawled back up my backside – or worse yet, that we are one and the same poster…ahem enough of that carry on.

As for the game tomorrow, I personally think we should be setting up with a 4-4-2 Diamond. Everton showed yesterday how effective that formation can be when you have clever footballers and willing runners. Barkley at the top of the diamond spreading passes, Naismith running beyond him, McCarthy keeping passes ticking over with Barry doing a cracking job protecting the back 4. It was really good to watch.

I’d bring Tiote back out from the cold, have Colback and Sissoko in CM with Wijnaldum at the top of the diamond. Perez and Cisse up front.

Yes, that does mean dropping Thauvin and Anita. Maybe it’s crazy, but given that we’ve never been blessed with pace down the wings, could be an interesting experiment.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• 163 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:57 PM

ibiza
    i think fitness the quality of the opposition made us defensive..tbh….might see more adventurous play with fitness and opposition who are’nt as good at keepin the ball

• 164 sing in the corner // Sep 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Anyone else fancy Pochetino as an outside bet for the sack race. They still look very average and have spent wads over the last few years.

• 165 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM

ruddy
    gettin a side out with 2 upfront will do for me…dont expect it tho

• 166 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:02 PM

i think macca knows that any more defeat means pressure on him so he’ll not be too willing to go 2 up top….imho

• 167 Ron Knee // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM

sing
    Spurs seem to be getting progessively worse. SAFC look the more dangerous team.

• 168 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:04 PM

was expecting more from spurs….poor so far

• 169 Novocastrian66 // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Spurs are terrible. Sunderland should be leading.

• 170 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Springy…All just guesses at this stage. Not sure how I feel about the idea of using this trial period and not implementing the long term ideas.

Seems a bit of a waste of time and that we’ll just have to go through another trial period soon.

Jesper…Well, it was, but I was trying to keep it on the down low. Guess that’s over now!

Ruddy…As if anyone would say such a thing!

I was merely setting you up for some abuse. I’ve missed it tbh. Welcome back.

Didn’t catch the Everton game so can’t comment on that really.

I’d rather Anita played over Colback. Not sure on Tiote either. He hasn’t seemed up to it at all, but then again, if he doesn’t play some games, I doubt he ever will. When in form, he’s perfect for the position. I’d really like to see more options in and around the box though. We lack that with an isolated striker.

• 171 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:06 PM

worringly surprised by the mackems upto now

• 172 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:08 PM

worryingly?…..u nar what i meant!lol

• 173 will die for the toon army // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Spurs and Makems look so bad. Do we also look that bad wen we r playing? This is sh@t

• 174 sing in the corner // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Thats what I mean about Pochetino. Spurs are asking for it here. When they lose the ball its 6s and 7s. Spurs fans will be getting a bit impatient with him, one place above the relegation zone..

• 175 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Springy…I don’t think he’ll be under any pressure from the board at this stage, win, lose or draw. It’s the fans he could start losing.

CL is an afterthought for most toon fans, well, that”s what I’ve taken from my discussions, most want to see attacking intent.

That was my point earlier. I’d be much calmer during this transition period if I could see what we’re trying to do. All respect to McClaren, but it seems to be simply a (slightly) better version of Pardew (sorry Will die).

• 176 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM

will die
    we have’nt played yet…..just defended!!lol

• 177 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Ibiza
    Am not convinced he wants to win anything now

• 178 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Yo…Who? The big man? Really? I am shocked!

Ye have little faith. Although you do have a memory which stretches more than 4-5 months, so fair play to you for that.*

*Disclaimer – Twas just a joke, any believers of people with bad memory need not be offended. Unless of course you really want to be, in which case, please feel free.

• 179 sing in the corner // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Ibiza @175

Do you think you have seen enough of SM all round already to make an appraisal of his abilities in comparison to Pardew?

• 180 SPRINGY // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:14 PM

ibiza
    nee point thinkin about CL coz we are years away from that if ever….but like you said intent to compete with sides not just surrender possession and defend look dangerous going forward and also play with confidence…..that to me is a step forward from the crap we’ve had over the last few yrs…..its not here yet needs to develope

• 181 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Ruddy…you know what I am in a Christmas mood so you can have Tiote 😉

Ibiza…sorry mate! But we all know you need a new password anyway!

So what are you going to do with all that new spare time?

• 182 Ron Knee // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Son is SAFC’s secret weapon at the moment.

• 183 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM

It must be just me then. The only time I would waste hours of my life being made to watch the mackems play is when it’s crucial they lose. I certainly would think of it for entertainment or to kill time. I’d rather watch recorded cricket.

• 184 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Ibiza/Springy

I think it’s important that we go with 2 up front, need to be more ambitious. Playing one upfront only works if you have runners beyond the CF and we’ve sadly lacked in this regard for a long time.

Anita is a nicer player to watch when in form, but he is so lacking in physicality it’s untrue. What Colback gives you is a bit of bite in midfield, and a work ethic which should be (but isn’t) the minimum requirement. I suppose the likes of Thauvin, Siem de Jong and Wijnaldum are interchangeable in that No 10 role, maybe putting one of the others upfront with Cisse (or Perez, depending on your preference) would allow tactical flexibility if we wanted to morph that diamond into a 4-3-3 style formation.

As for Tiote, I would consider playing Sissoko in that DM position, because for me, he does little to nothing in an attacking sense but is a big physical presence. Playing Tiote there frees up Sissoko to play more advanced I suppose but you could play Sissoko there allowing Anita to play alongside Colback.

All in all, we need more of a threat in and around the box. Personally, I think we have every chance of going to Upton Park and beating West Ham. I’m not convinced Bilic is the man to take them to the next level, but they have had a few great results, but defensively against Leicester and Bournemouth they looked dreadful so it depends which West Ham team shows up.

• 185 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM

sing…I’d say I’ve seen the same as everyone else that have made an apprasisal of his abilities in general (to date).

It’s not a conclusion, just an observation from what I’ve seen so far really.

The original question was, do we think the defensive approach is an early idea or a long term plan. Pardew really only comes in to it as he his fall back was a defensive one…well, it wasn’t always just a fall back 🙂

• 186 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Certainly wouldn’t think of it for entertainment, let’s just get that crystal clear 🙂

• 187 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Ibiza, I posted earlier about Mc’s lack of willingness to try thing and almost Pardewesq defensive approach. Some seem to think he’s full of tactical ideas but i’ve just seen plan A from June until now. Cant see anything changing tomorrow night.
    McClaren knows this is his last chance in the bigtime and he’s bottling it with an overcautious approach.
    Even the Mackems are showing some attacking intent, we’re about as incisive as a blunt spoon in the current formation.

• 188 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:21 PM

SM may have his plan for creative football, but it makes sense that he continues or rather defines the defensive approach to games for now. For all his will to impose an attacking style, he still doesn’t know how this cannon works in battle. With mitrovic and janmaat of course it’s already backfired so a bit more fixing is required to get us into the attacking mode. But I’ll be happy if he can at least get us to defend consistently as a unit first, that’s something Pardew never managed. Ah. I mentioned him, didn’t i?

• 189 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Ruddy….The question to answer with regards is, are we closer to Arsenal / Liverpool or Leicester / Bournemouth?

I guess it’s a win then! 🙂

Sissoko should be great for the CDM position, but whenever I’ve seen him play there, he has looked lost. He’s got power when running, but not when breaking up play. I think more CM, with room to roam forwards or the wings could work well for him. If he decides he wants to play of course.

As for Anita vs Colback, I get what you’re saying. I suppose it comes down to the balance of the team, but with Tiote and Sissoko playing, that means we’re relying on Colback to knit it all together? I think I’d still like Anita in there.

I think we’re agreed however, we need more happening in the opposition box. Mind, I’m sure everyone and their mother would agree on that one.

• 190 sing in the corner // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Ibiza

I was just interested to know what you were basing it on, thats all mate. We attacked Saints first game, were hamstrung in 2 others by daft sendings off, and played Man U at Old Trafford, where most teams try to establish a foot hold in the game first…or you can get a chasing if you go gung ho without the very best resources.
    He had attacking style at Derby and Boro if I recall… Just think its very early days and there’s plenty of time for him to come good once the players bed in properly.

• 191 Ron Knee // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:29 PM

sing
    We were getting overrun by Swansea before Janmaat was sent off.

• 192 SUTTY1978 // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Tsunki, if that were the case do you not think he would have tried his “cannon” out in preseason, hag on we are talking about football here aren’t we?!

• 193 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Ibiza
    Haha I sense ur only half joking bud

• 194 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Tsunki / Sing…I really haven’t formed an opinion, just early indicators, which is why I asked.

There is cretainly an arguement for it. We have had a difficult start (on paper).

Pardew really struggled with consistency, but he was also lauded (at times) for pulling off some fine defensive displays. 4 games in, 2 of which we had to play extremely defensive in, is not a sign of consistency.

I suppose we’ll see how it pans out.

• 195 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Yo…As long as you realise I was only “half” joking 🙂

The disclaimer was actually for others. My comment was written in a way that could offend, but it really wasnt the intention.

Who’d have thought the term “believers” could be possible reason to offend.

We need a blog therapist big time.

• 196 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Ibiza
    Aye it’s a tough old time these days, u can offend many so easily…though some maybe deserve offending ?

• 197 Ibizatoon // Sep 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Yo…There is an argument to be made, but then, does that person deserve offending? Where does it end? Where I ask?

In short, yes, some do deserve it.

I guess I best brace myself.

• 198 sing in the corner // Sep 13, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Retraction (from @ 155)

stadium of sh*te, not White Hart Lane! Duh!

• 199 OneAlanShearer // Sep 13, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Springy yeah 4141 is what I suggested as well previously but I expect schteve to stick with 4231 tomorrow. I think there will be a fair few players who are currently square pegs replaced with players that fit the phylosophy he mentioned of pushing the defensive line higher up the field and that means quick defenders, I also expect to see anita and tiote replaced with a better defensive midfielder who can pass better and break up play. I think sdj will be moved on as well. He was pardew era signing and he needs lots of quick players around him to make up for his lack of pace.

To be fair though I think if sissoko Wijnaldum thauvin and perez/cisse are played as our front 4 we will create chances and if we score we have real chance of beating West ham. I like the way we have played so far. We look a better side we just haven’t got the results. If we beat them and Watford and get some momentum the attacking ability of these players can only go from strength to strength as a unit. We simply have to get that first goal to bring some belief into the new lads. Thauvin is so key to that for me.

previous post: He Is A Quality Man And A Great Coach