The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Fans And Players Are Now One Team At Newcastle

9:30 am, Monday, September 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

Dutchman Daryl Janmaat seems to echo the new togetherness at Newcastle, even though he had a double whammy over the last few weeks at International level.

First of all he was surprisingly left out of the Dutch squad for the two Euro 2016 qualifying games against Iceland and Turkey,  and then the Netherlands surprisingly lost both of those games and are now in 4th place in their group with just two games to play.

It will now be very difficult for the Netherlands to qualify for the finals next summer in France, and if they don’t qualify it will be a huge shock.

daryl janmaat west ham

Daryl Janmaat – we are one team – players and fans

Steve McClaren wanted everybody associated with Newcastle to start pulling in the same direction when he was installed as the head coach in June, and certainly the team has received great support from the fans both at home and away.

It follows last season when things were not great at the club, we had fan demonstrations during the games against manager Alan Pardew starting last September, and then against owner Mike Ashley.

And we had the 19 game reign of John Carver this year, which was – let’s face it – a compete and utter disaster for the club.

This is what the 26 year-old Dutch International has said today:

“It’s not just about the Dutch players, it’s about all of us.” “Of course for me it’s good that there are a lot of  Dutchies at Newcastle these days, it’s nice.”

“But we want to build on what we have achieved so far.” “It’s about going forward as one now.”

“Everybody is one team at the moment, the fans and the players.” “But we have to keep this up.”

“Everywhere we go we try to take a result.” “They are all tough games.”

We have not done well in the league this year, and in the last 15 league games played we have just the one win at home to West Ham, and three draws.

That’s 6 points from the 45 points available, and over a full 38 game season that would get us just 15 points and certain relegation.

So we must start getting some points on the board this season, and tonight at West Ham is a very good place to start.

Tags: Daryl Janmaat · Euro 2016 · Interview · Newcastle News · Premier League

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Yes Jib you really are an important feature of this blog.

• 2 Jib // Sep 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Pleased to hear it

• 3 beermonkey // Sep 14, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Lilongwe

and there getting used to playing with 10 men as well

it is good to hear that things are changing in the other squads and as long as beardo is told what to do with training and how to do things it should help him as well

its going to take some time but its what make Southampton a success is if an injury hits a first teamer they can use the kids in the reserves and because all there squads play the same way it works he might not be as good but he will know his job and therefor no square pegs in round holes

• 4 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Lillo

And glad to see Paul Simpson taking a hand in the affairs of the Academy.

• 5 Lindisfarne // Sep 14, 2015 at 9:52 AM

No wins in 3 for the U21s, I hope the target is to get promoted to Division 1 and the same emphasis is put on achieving success. Playing for the sake of experience is all well and good but improvement is limited when in a losing team.

• 6 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Now where would a statement like that pop up from? it’s clear that the big improvement at nufc is the PR strategy. The circle is being completed.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Beer,
    The 10 men is what I was getting at! Haven’t seen any of the youths so far this year, just haven’t had a chance so I don’t know how they are playing yet.

Lindi,
    I’m not sure Paul Simpson is the person I’d want involved with the youths and development. Would prefer it left to Dawson, or Cathro gets involved more.

• 8 BandB // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM

The great triumph of modern PR techniques has certainly been in convincing huge swathes of people that things getting worse is actually things getting better ,if you just learn to see things in a positive way.

• 9 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Morning all hope we are all well, back on the blog after another spell in hospital. Just catching up with things, think we’ll win 3-1 tonight

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Take a Chancel,
    Good to hear from you. Pleased to hear you are out of hospital, hope everything went alright whilst you were in.

A 3-1 win? That is optimistic! Have we even managed 3 shots on goal inout last few league games? Hopefully we will set up to have a go at West Ham, so far everything has been very reminiscent of the last few years, but it is still early days and I hope we start to show greater intent and play a higher pressing game with better transitions from defending to attack.

• 11 nut meg // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Good to see you back Chancel,I hope your feeling a bit better bonny lad.

• 12 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:40 AM

BandB it’s the best course to always look on the bright side….you know it makes sense.

I know it’s match day and the glorious struggle continues, our collective vision of the brave future of nufc is gelling. All is well, bar the possible tiny hiccup of defeat / controversy / disappointment… but man the barricade we must. Death and Glory!

I’m going for a 2-1 with my very big optimist hat on.

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Ah! TFL welcome hope all is well. I mistook you got another Chancel the other day in a senior moment but it’s a good thing to see you are well enough to be allowed to comment 🙂

• 14 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Glad we are back in action, what a long two weeks.

Going 1-1 tonight and then wins in our next two games. Hopefully see us start to climb the table and push on.

I know people are a bit cheesed off with the Austin talk but im glad to see he is still on the Toon’s radar. I think we are the perfect club for him. I think he is Cisse’s replacement either in January or the summer.

Just hope Cisse dosn’t leave now with the UAE window still open.

• 15 BandB // Sep 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Tsunki,

I think the word optimism is being misapplied to a condition that is much closer to fatalism.

• 16 Blaydon-Toon // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Good morning Toon army – anyone going tonight ?

• 17 Blaydon-Toon // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Can see a tough game and it could come down to who scores the first goal – last season was a very scrappy affair which they nicked with a rather fortunate goal ! Keeping all 11 on the field will give us more of a chance. Our disciplinary record is shocking an needs addressing. Gutted I’m not going to see Mitrovic in the flesh the lad needs to watch and learn in the next few games but still hopeful he will come good

• 18 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM

As Ed has reported Macca is in communicative mode which is in itself a sign of changing times on the road to a brave new world – all we need now is to start winning football matches.:

-“Charlie Austin will still be on the radar in January,” said Steve McClaren. “Definitely”.
    -an old shoulder injury did not prevent us signing him.
    -senior figures at St James’ Park were worried about Austin’s long-standing knee problem.
    -the main reason he is not a Newcastle player is the fee QPR demanded.

-“There was a lot of speculation about Papiss,” he said. “But I said from day one to Lee Charnley [Newcastle’s managing director] ‘flipping heck, if Papiss does go you’ve got to get me a player who can score 11 goals in 22 games as he did last season.’ That’s very difficult in today’s market. When Papiss is focused and fit he’s a threat – and he’s both at the moment.”

McClaren has never analysed Cissé’s future with Mike Ashley. Indeed he has only met the club’s owner once – at a pre-season friendly – since succeeding John Carver as manager in June.

“I met Ashley once before the [Mönchen] Gladbach game,” he said. “We had 10 minutes’ chit-chat, mostly about Sports Direct and how it makes so much money and how he’s turned this club around in eight years to be in profit and for us to spend £50m and not sell our best player in the last two days of the window.”

It served as confirmation to the usual suspects that Ashley is now determined to delegate the running of the club to Charnley.

“Lee Charnley is running the ship here and we’ve got a good relationship,” said McClaren, who has a seat on Newcastle’s board.

“I’m sure we’ll see Ashley if he’s got a problem but hopefully that won’t happen. He’s kind of thrown it all over to Lee.”

• 19 toon kk // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I wonder if our squad watched Leicester play yesterday, thats what I call togetherness and giving 100%. Their work ethic and pure determination is something we could learn a lot from.

• 20 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM

thanks guys was pneumonia feel much better now.
    I think tonight is the night we click

• 21 martoon // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Good to see you back on the blog Chancel. I would love to see us win tonight but my head is saying a draw is probably a decent result.
    I’m pretty sure Cisse will start tonight as I can’t help but feel this was probably promised to him, after Mitrovic was suspended, to persuade him to stay when the window was open.

• 22 GEORDIE69 // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Tonight I would like us to play the following:
    GK – Krul
    RB – Janmaat
    LB – Haidara
    CD – Colo
    CD – Chemba
    CM – Wini
    CM – Tiote
    LAM – Thauvin
    AM – De Jong
    RAM – Sissoko
    CF – Perez

• 23 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Blaydon- I am. London based and £25 is good for PL game. Last visit to West Ham prior to their relocation to Olympic stadium. Much is being made by locals that first our first visit to Upton Park was 106 years ago. Another stat I have seen is that, not since 2001 when we won at Coventry have we won at a Premier League stadium about to be vacated.
    On that occasion we won 2-0.

• 24 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Of course a not- unexpected loss will see us continue to polish the appearance of our Weary neighbours. As has been pointed out, it’s nice to be part of the nufc timeshare while it appears we have bought into something worthwhile. At the moment though we’ve just been browsing the glossy brochure. I wonder at what point we shall be within our rights to ask where our money’s gone 😐

• 25 Whumpie // Sep 14, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I actually see what the pundits like Lawro are on about: yes, we’ve had a crap start in terms of points. But what is obvious is that so many of last season’s ills have been put right – strategy, spirit, tactics, and – although very much a work in progress – more quality in the squad.
    So yes, I can see us moving up the table – but only to around 12th to 9th. It’ll take two more windows to get beyond that.
    We may have spent nearly £50M in that last window, but that still makes an average of 12m per window over the past couple of years. Nobody’s going to be setting the world on fire with that kind of spending.
    As for tonight…

No clue. We could get tonked, but I doubt it. We could tonk them, but I doubt it. I think 1-1 is a fair punt.

• 26 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Jib, I didnt mean to call Carr a dog in my post yesterday – I meant to say DOF ! I stand by what I have said re Carr, but appreciate he is constrained. There again, other scouts are too, but they dont get the praise or profile he does. This is what i said:
    Good to see focus on Carr. I have been banging this drum for a while now. How many bargains has he dug up? Plenty of failures and guys like mbiwa are classic Carr signings. The dog ( apologies to Carr, above, meant to say DOF ) should not have power over the manager re football philosophy. . Pardew has the type of team he likes at palace. We shud have tried to get him the pacy powerful players he likes. The managers football vision shud dictate, not the 70 yr old scouts fancies. How many gems?

• 27 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:11 PM

For us to move up the table we need to actually win some games.

It’s all very well saying the team spirit is good, but!!!

• 28 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM

As for tonights games. I am still thinking we will lose, to a late goal. I dont know so many fans think we will win. Its hard to judge, but logically they may have lost twice at home, but they have beaten two good teams and have pace in abundance. I would be a little concerned re SMC but not too much. It should be remembered that we didnt lay a glove on Arsenal, irrespective of 10 men. We could not have complained if we had lost to southampton either in the last minutes. Aside from the problem of the lunatic serb who fully deserved his disciplines so far, the issue with the team is the colback / anita axis and that may hav eto be addressed, but we can be certain that it will be in situ tonight. There is nothing wrong with 442 ( Fergie and mourinho often used it ) provided the work is put in the cover midfield. Having two strikers in tandem would be great for us, becasue Cisse cant do it alone. But Cisse and Perez or Mitro could be quite a handful. I will start getting fed up with SMC if he starts playing Obertan again. Our managers fall for his ability in training, want his pace to give us an “out” away from home, but fail to see that he is awful in real games, doesnt work hard enough, cant tackle, and loses the ball a lot. Comments ?

• 29 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:14 PM

What kills me, is that if we had appointed the Tinkerer ( Leiscester mgr ) , we ould be rooted to the bottom with zero points. Am definite of that! But it works for everyone else !! grrr !!

• 30 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:22 PM

And it’s no good saying we are a big club anymore.

We were once, in terms of the big gates we always got, but the TV money has made Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford and all of the other ‘Small’ clubs our equals in spending power so seeing us languishing in the basement along with the likes of Sunderland and Chelsea (nice to be able to say that) isn’t so surprising.

We still need to see our big signings deliver the goods in the same way that some of the other clubs big signings have.

I await hopefully but not as yet confidently.

A win tonight is a must imo.

• 31 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:24 PM

am looking forward to seeing us tonight Bill. I dont have BT so havent seen much of us besides MOTD etc

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Munster,
    Why do you think the Tinkerman would have us rooted to the bottom? Not saying he would or wouldn’t just find it a curious thing to say.

• 33 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Jayphoto – thanks for the Cathro information earlier, very interesting. We seem to be using a similar philiosphy to the 1-9-0 this season, it’s just 9-1-0 instead!

• 34 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Munster it’s on Sky, which I do have so I’ll be hiding behind the Sofa watching it. 🙂

Mind you I only have Sky Sports 1 as I don’t want to line the greedy s*ds pockets any more than I presently do.

• 35 will die for the toon army // Sep 14, 2015 at 12:58 PM

My team for tonight:
    ………………Krul
    Janmatt…..Mbemba…..Colo…..Haidara
    Sissoko….Wijnaldum…..Colback…Thauvin
    ………………………..De Jong
    ………………………….Perez
    4-4-1-1

• 36 will die for the toon army // Sep 14, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Mcca has been concentrating on the leaky defence and I cant complain now on the defence we look so organised and solid.

Now we need fast breaks and magicians. Cant wait to see our game. I havent seen any thing from the attacking side to be optimistic. So am waiting to see my solid NUFC.

• 37 martoon // Sep 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM

History has shown that a lot of the promoted clubs like Bournemouth & Watford start well but then nosedive as Winter and injuries expose the depth of their squad.
    Hopefully that and the makems will keep us up this year 😀 Seriously though I think we could scrape into the top 10 which would be significant improvement from last season.

• 38 will die for the toon army // Sep 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM

I look at our squad and I see good players, Internationals, Past and Present, promising young stars and I dont understand why we never perform well.

Let me give Mcca and Cathro their chance and Hope for a new Era.

• 39 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 14, 2015 at 1:07 PM

The Horizon programme on infinite universes probably (possibly) means that there are other versions of us on this (alternative) blog saying how boring it is that we keep winning everything and that it may be interesting to see us having to struggle occasionally.

On the other hand the big successful local club might be Gateshead, European champions?

• 40 will die for the toon army // Sep 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I dont think we r going to have a problems this ssason with injuries and suspensions we have a good squad.

Team A:
    ………………….Krul
    Janmatt……Mbemba…….Colo…….Haidara
    Sissoko……Wijnaldum…..Colback….Thauvin
    ……………………………De Jong
    ……………………………Mitrovic

Team B:
    …………………………Darlow
    Lasceles…….Willo…………Taylor……….Dummett
    Obertan……….Anita…………Tiote………….Aarons
    ………………………………Perez
    ……………………………….Cisse

Marvueax, Goufrann, Rivere still available.

• 41 toon kk // Sep 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM

We should play with two strikers, its clearly not working with one, playing with just Mit on his own is just frustrating him.
    its time we played with more intent, playing for a clean sheet and not a shot on target will send us down. We need to score goals.

previous post: Fans And BBC Pundit Differ On Tonight’s Likely Result