McClaren Gives Hint He’s Serious About Winning A Cup

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren has said that he is going to block any moves made in the loan period for both Mike Williamson and Yoan Gouffran, and that tells us Steve is both sensible and  also serious about trying to win something this season.

The goal is to finish in the top eight in the Premier League and to win a cup, and if we have any chance of doing that – we need a big squad – we need strength in depth.

mike williamson florinba thauvin

Mike Williamson – after scoring against Northampton
Brilliantly set up by Florian Thauvin

McClaren was asked by reporters during an interview whether he was looking to loan out Mike Williamson and Yoan Gouffran, and this is what he said:

“No, we’re not.” “I think our squad is OK. You know, if you get injuries and things they will be needed.” “I also think we’ve got cup competitions.”

“We used the cup last time very well for the squad, and we’re looking also to the next game to use it very well for the squad.”

“We’ve got a good squad, a strong squad, and we’ve got motivation. They can see a game ahead, and they can see the team is not established yet.”

This is the first season in a very long time since Newcastle had some strength in depth – and Mike and Yoan very rarely make the bench these days.

But Steve’s right,  that if we are to do well in both the Premier League and the two local Cup competitions – we will need them at some stage this season.

Given the number of injuries we seem to pick up each season, Newcastle should have bigger squads than most – but the opposite had been true under owner Mike Ashley – until now.

Mike Ashley didn’t push to sell any players when we brought in four good players over the summer – who all look to be starters for Newcastle this season.

Last January and through the middle of April we were threadbare in terms of the players we had available, and Newcastle struggled through the season and only just avoided relegation.

That wasn’t helped by Alan Pardew leaving the club in early January.

We certainly don’t want to do that again this season, so Steve McClaren is showing his experience and savvy in keeping both Yoan and Mike at the club.

What do you think?

• Mick

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM

We might win an egg and spoon race

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Finish in the top 8 this season???? Hahahahaha!!! We’re 18th with a -3 goal difference already. Eighth place has 7 points, we have 2 (with a game in hand). Lets be realistic here. Anything higher than 14th is a bonus. When is this club going to stop fantasizing?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:24 PM

What’s the lineup?

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Also, let’s see a cup run before we start talking about winning one.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM

GT…I’ll give Macca one third of the season to show what he can do…I know I’ll probably end up giving him beyond January but he was never the manager I wanted!

. ..not by a long shot!

• archaeomag

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Off Topic ; if you get bored with the pre-match build up;

Newcastle United is a ‘monster’ and will never return to the glory days, says John Carver

• Tjodalf

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Jesperfuglsang:
    the lineup is the list of players that will start the match.
    It is also sometimes shown with the assumed formation in which the team is supposed to start.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Good question jesper mate. I haven’t seen one yet.

• Mick

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM

@2

if we win tonight we are two points off, if we lose its still only five, thats not a lot really.

• Sliema

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM

GeordieTwo

Whilst I agree we’ve got little to no chance of finishing top 8, I really don’t see much relevance in the points tally so far. You say we are 5 points behing with a game in hand…. erm…. is that a lot in your opinion?

Everyone has made their judgements for the season already, we might as well end it now then.

• Tjodalf

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Additionally I can inform you that it is available after 1hr before kick-off..

• Sliema

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Jesper

Can’t remember an early line-up announcement ever happening mate, kinda daft question unless we are an hour before KO innit?

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM

That’s fair jesper mate. Thirteen games or so to get some points in the bag. Let’s see…..Hmm. I’m thinking 12 points from the first 13 matches. I wonder where that will leave us?

• Mick

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:34 PM

@10

not all

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Good points Sliema mate. I’m predicting 12 pts from the first 13 as well however. I’m not sure where that will put us in the table but definitely not top 8. If we continue to rebuild the squad in January and next summer we could be a decent team by next season. I would think top 8 is a fair goal for next season but not this one mate.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I think this is a multi-year rebuilding process if Mike has the stones for it. Otherwise expect more of the same. Several seasons in the bottom 10 I mean. Dead wood abounds mates.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Not enough attack, and not enough defense. That still describes us fairly well.

• Mick

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:38 PM

@13

shit’s creek, but we aren’t fortune tellers so lets decide in a few games time, is that not fair

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM

I’ll listen for some other predictions now. I’m interested to hear how much people think we have progressed.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Cannot see where the goals are coming from – so I’m going for a defeat.
    IF Carroll plays it will be interesting to see if we can withstand an aerial battering.
    Very impressed with a couple of the Leicester midfielders last night cutting Villa open time and time again. They look better than us.
    If we’d only got a couple of more players in the summer!

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM

That is fair Mick mate @18. But let’s get our predictions in now. Not much point predicting after the games actually happen. That’s the fun of it.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Spot on Mr. Tuff @20. We spent 50M pounds in the summer but the owner had already destroyed the squad with several years of sitting on his hands.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Tjodalf from what fair country do you come?

• toon kk

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM

it will be interesting to see if we turn up tonight. One thing for sure we”ll be sitting back and trying to catch them on the break. lets hope we can break the 30percent possession barrior.
    As for winning a cup, the only cup we will get is a cup of tea

• Sliema

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Geordie2

If I was forced to give a prediction I’d say 12th regardless of what we do in January, but injuries could ruin that.

I think we have made progress, we have strengthened with a better class of player it would appear. However I think it is just too early to tell how much progress has been made.

If we hadn’t been down to 10 men for so much of the first 4 matches it would have been clearer, but a new manager, new coaches and new players take time!!!

People judging already are the reason the rest of the footballing world thinks we are a bunch of unrealistic and impatient fans.

• Tjodalf

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:47 PM

GeordieTwo: I’m from the fairest country of them all…ish. Norway. Where are you from then, G2?

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Any other predictions for the match mates? What kind of half time entertainment do the Hammers have on offer? A goat rodeo? Midget wrestling? I know their supporters love to blow bubbles but we need more than that….

• Mick

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM

@19

Progressed, and how much, wow, what I mean is have we progressed, last season for a while under Pardew we sat back and soaked it up and then hit them on the break in numbers which won us quite a few games, similar now apart from Pardew being able to get us to break in numbers whereas Macca hasn’t whilst defending as Pardew did.

Still early days mind, time will tell.

However Anita and Colback as a pairing will have us struggling as they are not strong enough, we have to sort that out, Tiote and Cabaye were rarely dominated as those two lightweight’s have been.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM

I’m from Newcastle but live in Canada Tjodalf mate. I’m on the west coast. It’s wild and wooly out here. That’s a decent prediction Sliema mate. 12th is bold but not too bold. Daring, yet slightly conservative…..I like it!!!

• WWSBRD

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:51 PM

3-1 Toon

• Sliema

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM

@27

I’m going 1-1 for tonight with Gini to bag a point for us. Hope I’m wrong and we get the 3 points though!!!!

• BandB

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I have my fingers crossed for 11-11 at the end.

• MadisonToon

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I’d say we’ve come quite a ways in this window, but that quite a ways just puts us in the middle of the pack and no further.

Four players signed of the caliber that should be our starting 11. No players signed that should be our ‘marquee’ players. You’d hope for 7/8 quality outfield players and a couple of ‘marquee’ players in a top 6 team (should be our goal). That would also come with a top-notch GK (which we have, IMHO) and 3-4 bench players that should be of the same level as the quality on the pitch and then a couple of youngsters gunning to get some time who round out the matchday squad.

Of that assessment of where I think we are really aiming to be, we currently have GK sorted and the four signings from this window, Janmaat and Sissoko as 6 quality outfield players. We still need another 1-2 of that kind to start and 3-4 on the bench (so 4-6 more of this same caliber) and a couple of marquee signings (Lukaku-esque). We are far from that but if we can continue with a +4 on quality players each window, it will be two/three more windows (probably four since Januarys are less likely to have the same quality available). In terms of an assessment, we’ve done well but have a long ways to go.

Is that too ambitious? Not ambitious enough? Do we have others currently in the squad that you’d count in our starting XI after our rebuilding is done?

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Interesting thoughts Mick @28. We do still have many weaknesses. That’s what I mean about the dead wood. Just not enough quality with the amount of money other clubs are spending and have spent over the last 2 or 3 seasons. Mike still lives in Cloud Cuckoo Land as far as I can tell. A mediocre manager after a complete tosser (Johnny C.) after another mediocre manager. A mediocre Managing Director after several twits. It all adds up to bottom 10.

• MadisonToon

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:55 PM

For tonight, I’m going with a 2-1 win. I think Cisse will get a crap goal and Thauvin or Gini will get the other. We will let one in as that’s what we do.

• Sliema

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:56 PM

My pick:
    Krul
    DJ – Mbemba – Colo – Haid
    Gini – Colback/Anita?
    Socks – De Jong/Perez – Thauvin
    Cisse

I’d love to see Tayls at the back with Mbemba for a match or two and to give colo a try in a cdm role… he would’nt need to be so quick in there and he’s a lot stronger than anita or colback.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:57 PM

On the plus side we managed to hang on to the Belgian midget strikers, we no longer have Johnny C. hanging aboot, and eventually we are going to win a match this season….

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Good analysis Madison Toon @33. If we’re in the bottom 6 at Christmas will Steve keep his job mates?

• bladeuser

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:00 PM

So s Mac is serious about winning a cup
    So decides to keep willo and gouffy
    The man is a genius
    Right s Mac how about winning a game in the epl
    I too did not want this wally as manager
    ASHLEY OUT
    WELSH OUT

• firebug666

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:01 PM

#NUFC at West Ham: Krul, Janmaat, Mbemba, Coloccini (c), Haïdara, Colback, Anita, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Thauvin, Cissé.