The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren In Praise Of Newcastle Striker

2:01 pm, Monday, September 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 72 Comments

When Papiss Cisse was dropped for Aleksandar Mitrovic earlier this season,  it seems he took it well, and manager Steve McClaren was pleased with his reaction, especially when he had been playing quite well in the Newcastle first team.

Papiss has been the source of many rumors on him leaving Newcastle but he will probably stay at Newcastle until next summer.

papiss cisse scopres gateshead penalthy

Papiss Cisse – scoring penalty against Gateshead in pre-season

It’s true that Papiss said after the last time out – the 1-0 loss to Arsenal at home that he didn’t know if he would be staying at Newcastle and his agent was keen to move Papiss somewhere else – so the agent could get paid.

But nobody came in for Papiss with a suitable offer.

Steve McClaren seems to be a fan of the Senegal International and he had this to say about him today:

“I am happy with his reaction to not playing,” “He was very unlucky not to play.” “We just wanted to look at Mitro and one or two other things.”

“There was a lot of speculation.” “But I said from day one to Lee Charnley ‘flipping heck, if Papiss does go – and there is talk about this, that and the other – you have got to get me a player who can score 11 goals in 22 games as he did last season’.”

“That is very difficult in today’s market. So he can score and when he is focused and fit, he is a threat and he is that at the moment.”

Cisse basically saved us last season with his goals – and hit 11 Premier League goals in only 22 appearances – and that’s a good scoring record by anybody’s measurement.

Let’s hope Papiss can hit one or two for us tonight at West Ham United.

How Will Newcastle Fare At West Ham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Poll · Premier League

72 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Yep that true. Still: get us back the original Cisse version and you got a gem.

• 2 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM

I hope he takes his chance tonight if he starts. Im in two minds whether him or Perez should get the nod. I’d love to see Cisse go on a roll starting tonight.

I hope Obertan dosn’t start though!

• 3 bladeuser // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM

U will see s Mac how good he is tonight when he fails to control a simple ball and is caught offside for the umpteenth time
    He is past it and is a waste of space away from home
    Welsh out

• 4 will die for the toon army // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Cisse is the best striker. I really dont know wats wrong with him. I hope for a more solid team and few counter attacks.

Sissoko and Thauvin shld get their game faces on. I want De jong and Wijanldum on that pitch. Hard to beat teams suck and win by 1-0 scores. You look at WBA Chelsea and Southampton.

Those r e most solid team is the EPL.

• 5 jimmysmith // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Physically, a midfield three of Tiote holding and Wijnaldum ahead of him in tandem behind Mitrovic looks about as intimidating as anything in this league, and formidable too particularly wiith Thauvin and Perez either side. Meaning, Colback, Anita, DeJong, Cisse, and Aarons off the bench, along with Taylor sat down on the bench. I really think we’ve seen less than 50% of what this group has to offer, but we might have to wait another week, to see it begin to fire. West Ham away is another tough one, but this a good deep and balanced squad. Bring it on.

• 6 jimmysmith // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Wijnaldum ahead of him in tandem with Sissoko, i mean, of course.

• 7 Blofal // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Janmaat – Coloccini – Mbemba – Haidara
    —————Anita – Wijnaldum
    Sissoko ———- De Jong ——– Thauvin
    ——————— Cisse

Bench: Darlow, Colback, Perez, Obertan, Saylor, Tiote, Aarons

• 8 MadisonToon // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM

I wish I could see past his offsides and the number of times he mis-controls the ball and gifts the other team possession. It’s a good thing he only plays striker as he wouldn’t be near even a League 2 team at any other position as his ball retention is horrendous.

However, he’s a poacher and would be better suited in a 2-striker lineup, I think. If we can get the Mitro/Cisse connection up and running I think that will be a very formidable pairing as Mitro can do the real work and Cisse can put the ball in the back of the net. Obviously not going to happen today, but where I hope we’re going. Seeing the Cisse of old would be great, but if he never gets back to that I won’t be too upset losing him.

• 9 JP...from The Rock // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I would like to see Ayoze start with De Jong just behind in the hole and then if that ain’t working take out De Jong and replace him with Cisse and out Ayoze in the hole behind the striker.

Cisse should not be the lone striker ever! He needs help up top.

We have real quality in Ayoze and it would be a huge waste if we don’t use him one way or another.

Hoping Thauvin can cuase problems for The Hammers tonight too. If he can become a consistent threat to the opposition week in week out then we have the makings of a tremendous player in our books.

• 10 G // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:48 PM

I’m actually finding it very difficult to pick a team I would like to see out there tonight. Back 4 and keeper picks itself, with TK in the net, MH, FC, CM, DJ across the back, but midfield is a noodle scratcher. I would be inclined to play 4-4-1-1 just to accomodate. Even though it would leave Colback out, I would go Thavan, Winegum, Anita, Sissoko, with De Jong in the hole behind Cisse. I’m sure SM will deploy a 5 man midfield in his favoured formation anyway, but that would be my preferred lineup.

• 11 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Oh no Toon from Leeds has predicted another victory. Thus far that means a defeat.

• 12 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM

I think we could get a good hammering to be honest. Playing with one striker who can’t hold the ball up will no doubt see us struggle. There’s every chance West Ham could play rubbish though so we might nick something.

• 13 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I’d feel a lot more confident if we play with two strikers.

• 14 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM

I murdered the blog…..

• 15 Malackay // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I like Colback in the middle too for his energy I just think Haidara is a liability at fullback and we have options in CM. Colback played a lot at fullback for SAFC so not too out of this world to suggest he could fill in there for us.

I’ve had the Haidara debate in the past, but in my opinion he is a huge liability defensively and our opposition know it. I’d be surprised if you don’t see Bilic focus his attack from the right tonight. His positioning and concentration are poor, can’t stop a cross and doesn’t have the natural instincts of a fullback.

Decent, but not exceptional at going forward.

• 16 Toon Tang // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

The majority in favour of the win is always a bad sign..

• 17 G // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:08 PM

I have a feeling we will dish out a right kicking over the hammers. Really cant justify it, just a gut feeling that everything will click tonight, and its a long time since we have gave anybody a hiding. Tonight, is the night.

• 18 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM

We’ve gone to some tougher places with Cisse and he’s come up with the goods. The idea he’s turned crap is urban myth fuelled by idle chatter in much darker times. He’s offside a lot because for one thing he’s the anticipating poacher who doesn’t assume the defender or goalie will deal with the ball, plus he was offside a lot trying to make opportunities from crap or no service. He’s the same guy we bought. it’s just our side has woefully declined in midfield. I think with Wijnaldum in there it’ll be different, that guy could run the show if the likes of Anita and sissoko back him up.

• 19 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM

It’s early season Toon tang. Give it a few more games and normal service will resume !

• 20 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Can’t agree malackay. I think Haidara is improving every game, and he needs games to continue. His delivery is already miles ahead of Santon. How anybody could rate colback for anything more than impressing the ranks of hamsters in wheels is beyond my ken. And as a left back he would be no more than a cat chasing a torchlight.

• 21 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Who said that his agent ?

• 22 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Any news on Charlie Austin that’s what i want to know.

• 23 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Yes Welshie there is, but you’ll have to wait until the next Charlie Austin article to find out.

• 24 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Belfast @14 it’s only taken you a few years to figure that out. Congrats.

• 25 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM

If Cisse gets the right support he scores goals. Stat FACT!

• 26 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:29 PM

And that’s a FACT !

• 27 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:29 PM

I wonder if there’s time for another Charlie Austin article before the match?

• 28 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Charlie Austin is a FACT!

• 29 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:31 PM

That felt good. Been ages since the last FACT! Fest.

• 30 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Another thing, displacing a goalscoring Cisse would be a good education for the Serbian Gangsta

• 31 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM

There will be one later FACT

• 32 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Jesper fungus

That pennywise used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. Those teeth haha

They all float down here…..

• 33 Malackay // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:37 PM

No problem – blogs are all about opinions. I hope you’re right and he comes good. I just don’t see it at the minute. His delivery is nothing better than good and he does make some semi intelligent forward runs – my main problem with him is purely defensive!

• 34 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:37 PM

I’m just waiting for a FACT! Hunt to turn up. Can’t be long now. I enjoy a good trawl through the stats with the blog nitpickers.

• 35 Belfast // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Beep beep Richie

• 36 Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Malackay I think it’s a learning curve, defenders especially have to read the game and it takes a long time to get that instinct right. I think Haidara although not the best by any means, has been the most promising prospect.

I stand by my opinion on Colback though. mackem associates told me when we signed him that he was okay but nothing came from him of any note but work. They were more bothered a mackem player had gone rogue. I see him as kind of a whirlpool effect in the middle to left of the park, where the ball goes and you wait for a while not knowing where it will pop back out.

• 37 Magpie Season // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Just realised if we beat West Ham tonight, Chelsea will be in the relegation (until Saturday).

Only in the Premier League!

• 38 swemag // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Charlie Austin.

• 39 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM

I wonder if this game will be worth my while?

…have some work to do! Maybe I should put a Köstritzer in the fridge just in case 😀

• 40 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:52 PM

We need to get at least a point at West ham. West ham are very tough and we desperately need points from now with easier games than our last few opponents coming up.

We need to start at West ham and anything less than a single will be a disaster for our season. The quicker we get to 40 mark the better.

• 41 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:53 PM

This game will depend on the kind of service Cisse gets. He’s the best striker we have and with the right service he will put it in the net. I see him scoring 20 goals this season actually.

• 42 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM

A few things:

1. If Obertan starts I’ll be peeved
    2. If Cisse starts up front we will be in trouble
    3. The Colback Anita duo will stay
    4. If Sissoko the fraudster will probably play well because its on the TV and he can show whatever it is he thinks he has for Champs League teams
    5. Haidara is already much better than the useless Santon ever was
    6. Perez has to start being given more chances. Lovely skills, fine work rate, well done Carr ( although I hear he was a Pardew pick …unlikely surely ? )
    7. I still cant believe 54% of Geordies think we will win but hope i am wrong. Draw at very best but I predict 2-1 to the market stallers

• 43 toon kk // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM

It will be interesting to see if we’re up for this game. Or will we be happy with 30% possessionand a goalless draw.

• 44 Malackay // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Munster Mag, Tsunki,

Genuine question not attempting to be provocative – What is it you see in Haidara which makes him a good left back? I can see glimpses of what he brings to the team offensively, so more interested in your opinions on his defensive strengths?

• 45 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Mal, compared to Santon ( who in fairness was awful…well done Carr again but at least we didnt lose bucks on him) , he is faster to tackle, faster anyway, better in air and is more natural in the position. I dont think he will ever be a top rank defender, so another average buy from Carr the boss of the club.

• 46 the truth will out // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM

that is as funny as piles welsh
    why are you taking the mick

• 47 Malackay // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Thanks Munster – his pace was the only thing I could think off – but given his popularity among many on here I was beginning to question my view.

Will watch with a close eye this evening.

• 48 the truth will out // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:15 PM

if you want news on austin
    infest the qpr site

• 49 The Newcastle Armchair // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:20 PM

My mates dogs nana is a psychic, she said the scores gonna be 2-2 tonight.

Place your bets!!!

• 50 toon kk // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Carr is past it, he over looks pace and has brought a ship load of flops into the club. Some better buys in the last window, (not sure about Mitrovic yet).

• 51 The Newcastle Armchair // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Mike ‘Happy shopper’ Ashley splashing the cash this summer

• 52 DaraghL // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Haven’t been this up for a match in years. My boss is a West Ham and to quote KK “I’d love it if we beat them”.

Cisse x2 in a 2-1 away win. Call me delusional, everyone else does.

• 53 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Mal, Santon was better on the ball in fairness. But I could never see what Santon was…he wasnt good enough to be a defenser, or offensive enough to be a winger? I feel same about Sissoko at times.

• 54 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Incidentally, keep eyes on Antonio tonight. my mate is a Forest fan and he said he was Collymore-esque at times. A seriously powerful athlete.

• 55 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Incidentally, when McClaren says “whoa where did that come from” Re Mitro and his lunacy , didnt he do same for Anderlecht when he signed for them. Research by club ??

• 56 Malackay // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Santon definitely had his faults but I always felt he had some clue about defending, and took calculated risks when attacking (unlike Haidara who is erratic and constantly found out of position) – although Santon often had the benefit of Jonas in front of him.

Santon > Dummett > Haidara – defensively
    Santon > Haidara > Dummett – offensively (although could be argued Haidara offers more width being naturally left footed)

• 57 Jib // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:44 PM

• 58 Jib // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Munster Mag
    “he said he was Collymore-esque at times.”

What ?

Talks shyte in a Brummy accent and hits women ?

• 59 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Munster, Antonio is like Sissoko but with end product. he doesnt takle back very well though so could leave openings on his side of the pitch (not sure if they are going to play him left or right).

• 60 Jib // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM

The Newcastle Armchair

That’s really weird

my mates nana is a psycho and thinks she’s a dog

• 61 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Malacky, Dummet scores more goals than Santon, Haidara creates more goals than Santon so in my book both are better offensively.
    Defensively it’s really a toss up between the three of them, personally prefer Haidara on both counts.

• 62 The Newcastle Armchair // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Thing is with Santon is he had half a left foot and the opposition always knew he was going to cut inside on his right. For a cut inside wingback he didnt score many nore assist

• 63 Malackay // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:02 PM

I’d strongly disagree with Dummett being better offensively. He may be slightly more useful at set pieces contributing a rare goal. However with ball at his feet, if there is an opposition player within 5 yards he can’t help but playing a speculative long ball down the line, irrespective if there is an outlet for it. It won’t fly under SM, who I hope can coach that instinct out of him. Dummett is worse with ball at feet, dribbling, crossing than both Santon and MH….. I’m not sure he can be rated at all on his offensive capabilities.

I do believe Dummett is an effective defender – stops crosses, good positional sense, tracks players and just all out seems to enjoying that aspect of the game…… non of which I could say about Haidara. Defending should never be a chore to a defender.

• 64 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Santon had a good pass rate but didnt assist or score.
    our left backs have been generally hung out to dry by our ineffective DM’s for some time. if they lose posession up the pitch that’s when the DM’s should cover for them but they dont, so the LB get’s slated.

• 65 Mick // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:14 PM

One goal and is it 2/3 or so assists for an attacking left back is a poor return, and his one goal was when he was playing as a right winger against Wigan.

Cut inside lose possession and then not bust a gut to get back was Santon, and that was his strength, he is abysmal imho.

Dummett can defend and is reliable if not spectacular, but all teams need those who are grafters which is what Dummett is, bearing in mind he has also done a steady job at centre back then for me he is very valuable.

Haidara, time will tell, based on before this season then he was a liability almost as bad as Santon but not quite that bad, however he does of late seem to have realised that being a full back means that he does from time to time have to defend and when defending I have been pleasently surprised at how well he has done it and going forward unlike cut inside and lose and become a spectator he has more to his bow, he can come inside but then again he can take a man on and get to the byline and he can cross a ball as well.

At present I would have Dummett as we need defensive strength but long term I can see Haidara becoming a very useful left back, provided he continues to improve defensively.

• 66 BandB // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Good luck to the lads tonight.

I am really hoping for a football match that vaguely resembles what other football matches between other teams look like, with a bit of cut and thrust and chances at either end, rather then a tennis game where one side does all the serving.

It would be so much easier for us all if there were just clear, unequivocal signs that we are beginning to emerge from being a basket case club.

• 67 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Mal, i’m sorry but you’re wrong ! 🙂 . Honestly, Santon was a poor poor excuse for a defender, or he was on tyneside anyway. Slow to tackle, awful awareness of runners in box, poor in air. If thats your standard of measurement of a defender, i hope the club has higher standards or we are goosed.

• 68 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Santon was a nothing player….looked sexy on the ball, did little defensively or attack wise.

• 69 BandB // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM

1 Run upfield with the ball something like under control, not very quickly.

2 Cut inside.

3 Run into two defenders and either be tackled or overrun the ball.

4 Shrug.

5 Walk back to the left back position.

• 70 MacToon // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM

If we’re to pick up some points this season these are the games where they should be gained, after all there are not too many easy games in this league especially in the capital.
    This and Chelsea probably the easier ones!

• 71 Mick // Sep 14, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Who is the worst left back to ever play for us, for me it is Santon.

• 72 will die for the toon army // Sep 14, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Beardsley – Elliott – Barbayaro – Enrique – Santon.

previous post: Carlisle Boss Delighted To Get Youngsters From Fantastic Club