Steve McClaren In Praise Of Newcastle Striker

When Papiss Cisse was dropped for Aleksandar Mitrovic earlier this season,  it seems he took it well, and manager Steve McClaren was pleased with his reaction, especially when he had been playing quite well in the Newcastle first team.

Papiss has been the source of many rumors on him leaving Newcastle but he will probably stay at Newcastle until next summer.

papiss cisse scopres gateshead penalthy

Papiss Cisse – scoring penalty against Gateshead in pre-season

It’s true that Papiss said after the last time out – the 1-0 loss to Arsenal at home that he didn’t know if he would be staying at Newcastle and his agent was keen to move Papiss somewhere else – so the agent could get paid.

But nobody came in for Papiss with a suitable offer.

Steve McClaren seems to be a fan of the Senegal International and he had this to say about him today:

“I am happy with his reaction to not playing,” “He was very unlucky not to play.” “We just wanted to look at Mitro and one or two other things.”

“There was a lot of speculation.” “But I said from day one to Lee Charnley ‘flipping heck, if Papiss does go – and there is talk about this, that and the other – you have got to get me a player who can score 11 goals in 22 games as he did last season’.”

“That is very difficult in today’s market. So he can score and when he is focused and fit, he is a threat and he is that at the moment.”

Cisse basically saved us last season with his goals – and hit 11 Premier League goals in only 22 appearances – and that’s a good scoring record by anybody’s measurement.

Let’s hope Papiss can hit one or two for us tonight at West Ham United.

How Will Newcastle Fare At West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• cyprus

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Yep that true. Still: get us back the original Cisse version and you got a gem.

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM

I hope he takes his chance tonight if he starts. Im in two minds whether him or Perez should get the nod. I’d love to see Cisse go on a roll starting tonight.

I hope Obertan dosn’t start though!

• bladeuser

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM

U will see s Mac how good he is tonight when he fails to control a simple ball and is caught offside for the umpteenth time
    He is past it and is a waste of space away from home
    ASHLEY OUT
    Welsh out

• will die for the toon army

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Cisse is the best striker. I really dont know wats wrong with him. I hope for a more solid team and few counter attacks.

Sissoko and Thauvin shld get their game faces on. I want De jong and Wijanldum on that pitch. Hard to beat teams suck and win by 1-0 scores. You look at WBA Chelsea and Southampton.

Those r e most solid team is the EPL.

• jimmysmith

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Physically, a midfield three of Tiote holding and Wijnaldum ahead of him in tandem behind Mitrovic looks about as intimidating as anything in this league, and formidable too particularly wiith Thauvin and Perez either side. Meaning, Colback, Anita, DeJong, Cisse, and Aarons off the bench, along with Taylor sat down on the bench. I really think we’ve seen less than 50% of what this group has to offer, but we might have to wait another week, to see it begin to fire. West Ham away is another tough one, but this a good deep and balanced squad. Bring it on.

• jimmysmith

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Wijnaldum ahead of him in tandem with Sissoko, i mean, of course.

• Blofal

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

———————-Krul
    Janmaat – Coloccini – Mbemba – Haidara
    —————Anita – Wijnaldum
    Sissoko ———- De Jong ——– Thauvin
    ——————— Cisse

Bench: Darlow, Colback, Perez, Obertan, Saylor, Tiote, Aarons

• MadisonToon

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM

@bladeuser

I wish I could see past his offsides and the number of times he mis-controls the ball and gifts the other team possession. It’s a good thing he only plays striker as he wouldn’t be near even a League 2 team at any other position as his ball retention is horrendous.

However, he’s a poacher and would be better suited in a 2-striker lineup, I think. If we can get the Mitro/Cisse connection up and running I think that will be a very formidable pairing as Mitro can do the real work and Cisse can put the ball in the back of the net. Obviously not going to happen today, but where I hope we’re going. Seeing the Cisse of old would be great, but if he never gets back to that I won’t be too upset losing him.

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I would like to see Ayoze start with De Jong just behind in the hole and then if that ain’t working take out De Jong and replace him with Cisse and out Ayoze in the hole behind the striker.

Cisse should not be the lone striker ever! He needs help up top.

We have real quality in Ayoze and it would be a huge waste if we don’t use him one way or another.

Hoping Thauvin can cuase problems for The Hammers tonight too. If he can become a consistent threat to the opposition week in week out then we have the makings of a tremendous player in our books.

• G

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:48 PM

I’m actually finding it very difficult to pick a team I would like to see out there tonight. Back 4 and keeper picks itself, with TK in the net, MH, FC, CM, DJ across the back, but midfield is a noodle scratcher. I would be inclined to play 4-4-1-1 just to accomodate. Even though it would leave Colback out, I would go Thavan, Winegum, Anita, Sissoko, with De Jong in the hole behind Cisse. I’m sure SM will deploy a 5 man midfield in his favoured formation anyway, but that would be my preferred lineup.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Oh no Toon from Leeds has predicted another victory. Thus far that means a defeat.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM

I think we could get a good hammering to be honest. Playing with one striker who can’t hold the ball up will no doubt see us struggle. There’s every chance West Ham could play rubbish though so we might nick something.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I’d feel a lot more confident if we play with two strikers.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM

I murdered the blog…..

• Malackay

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

JDdubai

I like Colback in the middle too for his energy I just think Haidara is a liability at fullback and we have options in CM. Colback played a lot at fullback for SAFC so not too out of this world to suggest he could fill in there for us.

I’ve had the Haidara debate in the past, but in my opinion he is a huge liability defensively and our opposition know it. I’d be surprised if you don’t see Bilic focus his attack from the right tonight. His positioning and concentration are poor, can’t stop a cross and doesn’t have the natural instincts of a fullback.

Decent, but not exceptional at going forward.

• Toon Tang

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

The majority in favour of the win is always a bad sign..

• G

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:08 PM

I have a feeling we will dish out a right kicking over the hammers. Really cant justify it, just a gut feeling that everything will click tonight, and its a long time since we have gave anybody a hiding. Tonight, is the night.

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM

We’ve gone to some tougher places with Cisse and he’s come up with the goods. The idea he’s turned crap is urban myth fuelled by idle chatter in much darker times. He’s offside a lot because for one thing he’s the anticipating poacher who doesn’t assume the defender or goalie will deal with the ball, plus he was offside a lot trying to make opportunities from crap or no service. He’s the same guy we bought. it’s just our side has woefully declined in midfield. I think with Wijnaldum in there it’ll be different, that guy could run the show if the likes of Anita and sissoko back him up.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM

It’s early season Toon tang. Give it a few more games and normal service will resume !

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Can’t agree malackay. I think Haidara is improving every game, and he needs games to continue. His delivery is already miles ahead of Santon. How anybody could rate colback for anything more than impressing the ranks of hamsters in wheels is beyond my ken. And as a left back he would be no more than a cat chasing a torchlight.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Tsunki // Sep 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Who said that his agent ?

• welshgeordie9

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Any news on Charlie Austin that’s what i want to know.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Yes Welshie there is, but you’ll have to wait until the next Charlie Austin article to find out.

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Belfast @14 it’s only taken you a few years to figure that out. Congrats.

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM

If Cisse gets the right support he scores goals. Stat FACT!

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:29 PM

And that’s a FACT !

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:29 PM

I wonder if there’s time for another Charlie Austin article before the match?

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Charlie Austin is a FACT!

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:31 PM

That felt good. Been ages since the last FACT! Fest.

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Another thing, displacing a goalscoring Cisse would be a good education for the Serbian Gangsta

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM

There will be one later FACT

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Jesper fungus

That pennywise used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. Those teeth haha

They all float down here…..

• Malackay

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Tsunki

No problem – blogs are all about opinions. I hope you’re right and he comes good. I just don’t see it at the minute. His delivery is nothing better than good and he does make some semi intelligent forward runs – my main problem with him is purely defensive!

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:37 PM

I’m just waiting for a FACT! Hunt to turn up. Can’t be long now. I enjoy a good trawl through the stats with the blog nitpickers.

• Belfast

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Beep beep Richie

• Tsunki

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Malackay I think it’s a learning curve, defenders especially have to read the game and it takes a long time to get that instinct right. I think Haidara although not the best by any means, has been the most promising prospect.

I stand by my opinion on Colback though. mackem associates told me when we signed him that he was okay but nothing came from him of any note but work. They were more bothered a mackem player had gone rogue. I see him as kind of a whirlpool effect in the middle to left of the park, where the ball goes and you wait for a while not knowing where it will pop back out.

• Magpie Season

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Just realised if we beat West Ham tonight, Chelsea will be in the relegation (until Saturday).

Only in the Premier League!

• swemag

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Charlie Austin.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM

I wonder if this game will be worth my while?

…have some work to do! Maybe I should put a Köstritzer in the fridge just in case 😀

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:52 PM

We need to get at least a point at West ham. West ham are very tough and we desperately need points from now with easier games than our last few opponents coming up.

We need to start at West ham and anything less than a single will be a disaster for our season. The quicker we get to 40 mark the better.