The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren – This Is Normal – It’s A Process

11:03 am, Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 123 Comments

If Steve McClaren didn’t know how tough the head coach job is at Newcastle, then he will now, after Newcastle’s less than acceptable performance at West Ham last night when we lost the game – all too easily – to West Ham  2-0.

And it was the very impressive Dimitri Payet who ran the show for the home side.

Dimitri Payet scoring seocdn goal

Dimitri Payet scoring West Ham’s second goal last night

Payet had been a former target of Newcastle, but he was too old (he’s 28) and too expensive for Newcastle, who prefer the younger, cheaper editions of Payet.

But that transfer policy means we very rarely sign players from the continent who can make a quick impact at Newcastle, which is just one reason why Alan Pardew is now at Crystal Palace and making an impact at the  London club.

It’s the beginning of the seas and are players still need to get, but last night’s performance lacked commitment and lacked passion, and it simply was not good enough.

This is what Steve McClaren said after the game:

“We’ve got talented players out there, but we didn’t do the basics well enough,” “We had been for four games, and that had kept us in games, but we didn’t do that here.”

“It’s a process, and this is normal. These sorts of nights and games are painful to go through, but sometimes you have to go through them to learn about individuals and your team.”

“We have to learn and move on, and make sure we give a big reaction on Saturday.”

“The players have been told it’s disappointing, but all you can do in football is dust yourself down and look forward to the challenge of a home game, and put this game and result to bed.”

“We can make excuses and say the preparation wasn’t ideal, but it’s no excuse. We felt the preparation wasn’t long enough and asked the referee to put it back.”

“But we didn’t do tonight what we have done for the previous four games in terms of organisation, discipline and being hard to beat, we lacked that.”

One concern that hasn’t been solved from last season is that it’s now over four games since we last scored a goal – 402 minutes to be exact.

If you cannot score goals you cannot win games, and when that second Payer goal went in after 48 minutes we couldn’t see Newcastle getting back in the game, al;though we did attack as best we could.

But it wasn;t good enough, and West Ha,m basically were happy enough to hold onto their two goal lead and a good 3 points.

Newcastle have now made a worse start than last year at this time – and we now have to somehow beat newly promoted Watford on Saturday.

If we cannot improve things over the next five games or so, then we could be in for yet another struggle on the league this season.

To say the very least – that would not be good.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At West Ham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

123 responses so far ↓

• 1 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM

To be fair apart from Janmaat the order of results in the poll are very accurate still though, stupid enough to vote Janmaat best player. I’m only guessing that people were pleased that he was the only one trying to get a goal.

But like I said I judge forwards on forward play and defenders on defensive play. tut tut Janmaat and Cisse in those regards.

• 2 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM

If its prep time we need, may I suggest the team turn up a few hours early for every game?

• 3 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:09 AM

It will look brighter when we turn Watford and Chelsea over at home!

Last night was poor but it’s still early days for me to be bashing coaches like.

I think the performances will get better over time, there is quality in that squad no doubt about it. I’d like to see a change though, Im not a fan of two defensive mids and a lone striker.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM

the broons…Not getting in to whether Janmaat deserved it or not, that’s just a matter of opinion, but surely you’d judge a player on their overall play?

I went with Janmaat as they all made mistakes, but he seemed like he was actually trying to do something. He did get turned time and time again back in defense though – not arguing that.

• 5 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM

To be honest with you mate I will give you that and you speak a lot of sense there. However my pick was Mbemba as I thought out of everyone he was the one who made the fewest mistakes.

To be fair Payet and Noble ran the show for them.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Broons…For instance, you’ve gone with Mbemba. I think he’s really doing well, one of the better and more important buys. However, some of his ‘clearances’ last night went straight to opposition players right outside the box. It happened a fair few times. Is that any worse than Janmaat getting done over by Payet? Janmaat had the added responsibility of being a creative force too.

• 7 toon kk // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Janmaat was definitely our best player, he was the only one who remembered you have to score to win a game.
    trying to attack with a pace less team isn’t easy, but there’s next to no service comes into the box
    I blame it on very poor scouting, alot of money has been wasted on the wrong type of players for the premier league.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Broons….Wrote that before reading your post.

Payet, Noble and even Moses were really good to watch (well, apart from them being on the opposite team!).

Since when did picking a MOTM come down to who made the least amount of mistakes? Perhaps the vote should be on who was the worst player of the match if that’s the data we’re looking at 🙂

• 9 Jib // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I voted Mbemba

He’s a remarkably fast learner.

A factor that alot of people are ignoring is the pressure that was on the West Ham team.
    Regardless of their wins against the bindippers and the Arse if they had lost to us it would have been their 3rd home defeat in a row , I don’t think big Slaven had too much bother getting his side up for the game

• 10 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM

toon kk…I’m still not putting this down to poor scouting.

I find it really hard to do so when you consider the previous years neglect.

I suppose it comes down to how much power you believe Carr has at the club. Is he carrying out a set policy, or is he setting it? If it’s the latter, then he may well have to take a large lump of the responsibility.

We desperately needed proper leadership last season. It doesn’t appear to have been addressed yet. Could prove extremely costly.

• 11 cyprus // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Hey Ed,
    Where is my long thoughtful post? Dam, gone forever.

Summary only then: We ain’t that bad. Sorry, unlike our attack, there were incisive points to prove it.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Jib…I get that they were at home, but surely as a team we had that pressure to win too? We are still waiting for a win after all.

Why would Steve have a harder job than Bilic in getting his team up for the game?

• 13 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Cyrpus…We might need a version somewhere in the middle of the two.

• 14 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM

If only Cisse’s overhead kick had connected!!

Lol! What a laugh we had!

• 15 JP...from The Rock // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM

We have bought good players but what we had already has let us down again. Krul still doesn’t know how to kick a ball, Sissoko only tries half the time, Cisse is so lazy he makes Strolla look class, Anita is not good enough or strong enough and not tall enough either.

The lone striker does not work for us, we can’t cross the ball well to save our life and two DM is too defensive and doesn’t offer anything. Our tactics and formation need an urgent reshuffle. The sooner McClaren realises and does this the better we will be. Though being a new manager he is still trying to understand our strengths and weakneses, unfortunately for us we are losing valuable points in the process.

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Ok I might have sent Saylor an extra hard sponge through the post to prove myself right…sorry guys I didnt think he would actually use it! It was a joke gone horribly wrong

• 17 Munster Mag // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza, if some journos are to be believed, Carr is the real power broker in the club. He nearly left before and Ash gave him a huge deal. I am sick and tired of seeing crap players playing for NUFC as our less intelligent fans say ” In Carr we trust ” . Laughable. I don’t trust him at all. The coach/manager should set the philosophy of the club, not the chief scout. Pardew has proven many wrong on here with his ability to elevate Palace, but we got him players like Anita, which he didn’t want. As for Steve, I am totally unimpressed with a philosophy of possession based Dutch nonsense football, with central midfielders not making a decent pass into the box. sadly Cisse is at fault for that too. Suddenly, Mitro has become vital to us, which is crazy. On a more positive note, most of the players did not give up, which is vital. I am tired of looking at Carr getting nonces like De Jong, Thauvin and Anita when other teams get faster players who suit English football more. Carr just loves his sytle doesn’t he?? Hence we get blokes like Mbiwa and Santon who simply are not good defensively in England. Carr needs to come under pressure now. How many gems has he uncovered ? Tiote ? Perez ? Any others ?? Why the hell did he not persuade Ashley to go for a proven performer like Cabaye?? Guys ion this website laughed at cabaye going to Palace saying we didn’t need him. Yeah right.

• 18 Munster Mag // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Gotta say, Thauvin is not quick, which is a worry. Well done Sutty if u were right on this guy, but hopefully just one bad game.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Hi Ed,
    I had made a bet with a poster called toonbrother, who claimed we would not win a game all season with Collocini in the starting line up. I took up the bet before he spectacularly changed the goal posts to the first five games. I thought he had said the next five games and said we’d beat Watford at home. Although I misread the bet I will honour it and will donate £100 to the SBR foundation. I will send you the details after it’s been done. Could you please confirm it in one of the little side columns
    I am waiting for a reply

• 20 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Yo…Nasty games mate. I thought you were better than that. You’ve ruined Taylor chances of going to the Euros next summer. I hope you’re proud.

Munster…Not the best opening line there 🙂

I want to see something from the club state that Carr is the DOF, as that appears to be what some are claiming.

Out of interest, why did he want to leave before the big deal?

• 21 WWSBRD // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM

I must be a less intelligent fan then becuase I have far more faith in Carrs judgement than Ashleys ownership

• 22 solano // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Time, time time, see what has become of us…

• 23 WWSBRD // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:42 AM

I feel terrible about the whole thing truly I do

I would send him a care package but I worry about the box ripping his leg off now

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Carr recommended Payet, but he was too expensive and the wrong side of our age bracket. Plenty of articles from last summer and earlier about it.

I don’t understand why Carr gets the recognition and the column inches. He shouldn’t be in the limelight at all. Every club has scouts, and every scout makes good and bad recommendations. Carr gets spoken of because of the running of the club at the top by Ashley, Charnley and previously Llambias. It has propelled him into a false idol role which no scout should really be in as we have no idea who else was on his lists and who was overlooked for reasons similar to Payet.

Look at Ayew and Gomis – clearly recommended by Carr but overlooked by the club initially due to cost but latterly probably because of wages.

Carr is no better or worse then most Premier league scouts.

• 25 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Yo…If it’s a question of faith, and then faith in Carr or Ashley, there can be no contest.

Other than having money and giving an interview, i’m not sure what we’re to work with other than his atrocious history owning this club.

But anyway, he’s taken a back seat now – it’s all on the man who ‘decided’ that Carver would see us through until we could get our man (McClaren).

I’m trying to work out why i’m not full of confidence.

• 26 magscar // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Not sure whether buys in previous windows were high on Carr’s list but presumably given the amounts spent in summer these buys were at or near top of his list? If that is the case and posters are already writing most off then shouldn’t Carr be taking some blame?

Regardless of how far down the list previous buys have been surely most would have been expected to be able to cut it in Pl even if not likely to excel given the patience Carr reportedly shows in tracking players. I find myself wondering why they are even on the list otherwise.

Carr who has accepted Ashley’s brief just like Pardew has escaped much of the scrutiny whilst all the gathering of pitchforks was going on. Not saying he is necessarily to blame but I wonder whether with the new Football Board in place we will see any change in type of the next lot of incomings – Is McClaren going to push for what he and team need?

• 27 solano // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:45 AM

A repost for my old muckers.
    Lads,I was making a general ob on Cisse after looking at several pages and sites, not pin pointing you,Ibiza and Broons, especially.
    The fact is that Cisse has scored goals and can’t play alone. Perez has promise and can’t play alone. Unfortunately the two aforementioned (imo) can’t play together!!!
    It’s a mess and as ever I maintain the blame lies at the very top BUT also with the fans themselves for their complicity in the charade.
    My temporary comeback is only indicative of a slight change in my perspective. I think the majority of fans/whingers who complain about players and formations get exactly what they deserve served up by Ashley and Charnley! I have nothing but scorn and contempt for those ( and they know who they are) who stood by and did nothing when others spoke up and tried to fight.
    I’m not so much bitter as indifferent to the suffering.
    I have become …Comfortably Numb

• 28 optimistic prime // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM

I’ll admit we did some decent buisness but no where near enough or in the right positions.

I can only hope we buy in jan, if we don’t we could be in big trouble.

We need proven players not potentially good players, was Colback the last EPL proven player we signed? He was free, can’t think of the last one before him.

Even though we spent money the supposed rebuild was done with cheap untested product once again.

It will take time for Steve to get his ideas across, all the more reason to have signed players who could hit the ground running.

Ashley out!

• 29 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Yo…I think it’s best you just let him be now. You’ve done quite enough!

Solana…Just caught your response on the last thread. Wasn’t being defensive, I realised you weren’t aiming the post at me, but I thought I’d jump in anyway.

So, you’re not convinced by this particular new dawn? Not even after Ashley went on Sky Sports? Honestly, some people… 🙂

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:48 AM

The football board? A facade created to placate the masses that ultimately serves Ashley’s whims as voiced by Charnley. Seriously, McClaren should not be on the board. Nor should Carr. They should both report to the board but concentrate primarily on what they are employed to do – coach.manage and scout.

Moncur serves no purpose. He is an ambassadorial figure who realistically offers nothing – a figure head nothing more.

Charnley is the only one in any way close to being suitable and experienced to fill the role on the board. That in itself is pretty damning.

• 31 magscar // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM

A few years ago when all the “in Carr we trust was going on” a mate of mine who was a lifelong York City fan ( where Carr had been involved) was chuckling away in amazement at the thought anyone could attribute such status to him. We even had a discussion to check we were actually talking about the same guy given his incredulity. He was amazed he wasn’t concentrating on Sunday League instead of France

• 32 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM

OP…For me it’s a case of doing the bare minimum to say we’re trying. I can’t handle the idea of having to read that “they couldn’t have done more in the last window”, as they most definitely could have, but thought enough was done, for now.

Always the same, just a differing budget now, one that a lot of the PL teams have to play with.

• 33 cyprus // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Can’t be bothered to redo the match comments thing which disappeared somewhere in the internet atmosphere. Maybe an alien is reading it, or Mike, or Steve, somehow 🙂 It’s just that, having first read the negative posts and then seen the game, I expected much worse, a mauling so to speak.
    Other comments:
    We will finish higher than WH, they is poor.
    Bring Perez in, tell him from now on, you’re a CF. (If it doesn’t work out you can always change it back, he’s young) Now, have people flicking it, passing it to him, he’s a tricky customer, he’ll come good.

Maybe Mitro and him?

Refreshing to see two ex-coaches (AS, JC) doing the punditry, got many pieces of ‘inside’ info, re NUFC.

• 34 DaraghL // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:57 AM

From previous FAO: JFA

Jail for Ashley / Toonbrother –

Just saw Toonbrother’s post.

Under no circumstances should JFA a) be paying anything yet or b) be paying to a charity of Toonbrother’s choice.

The bet, which I had also offered to meet; however was not called upon, still happy to sign up to it, was “Newcastle will not win another match with Colocinni in the side”.

JFA agreed to that bet and proposed that the loser pays the sum of £100 to the SBR foundation.

After JFA offered this you reneged on your previous ludicrous statement and stated it should only be the first 5 games.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Cyprus…I like to think that Ashley is in tune with the toon army and can sense what it is we’re after. I imagine he got your thoughts and will be busy implementing them as we speak.

Interesting observation. I suppose we could have been worse, but we weren’t anywhere near good, were we?

Mitro and Perez would be worth checking out. I’ll tell you what isn’t worth checking out, a lone striker. We haven’t even looked like scoring. Something is up, clearly.

• 36 WWSBRD // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Aye Charnley the new man in charge…what can go wrong eh?
    As for Saylor ur probably right…may drop him an apologetic email surely he wont get an electric shock from it? Safe bet no?

• 37 Ian Toon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:02 PM

i am not going to repeat what I said post match. Sissoko is not a wide man/ winger his crossing is poor. If he plays it has to be through the middle. I don’t agree about Colback he provides grit and determination – if Tiote is ever fit then maybe he can start instead of Jack. Incidentally Anita was doing a man marking job on Payet- allegedly!
    Newcastle played like robots constantly passing back or sideways in their own half but with no idea what came next. You can’t blame Mbemba for finally hoofing in frustration.
    Cisse can’t play on his own up front and Perez showed for half an hour far more movement and control in tight situations. We need to create chances to score goals to win football matches. Perez and de Jong to start.

Solano –
    Your out of touch and clearly haven’t seen recent articles and communication from Macca. The financial game has changed in the Premier league with the massively increased tv money with further increases next season and Ashley is not reliant on 50,000 home gates.
    The transfer window was an eye opener with Everton leading the way and not selling Stones. Palace and Stoke signed proven quality in Cabaye and Shaqiri. Buying proven quality rather than hopeful potential is more likely to bring success. Your living in the past and fighting old battles. Besides Charnley is running the show – if anything it’s ” Jail for Charnley”.
    Not sure whom to blame but why didn’t we get Moses on loan?
    Why didn’t Carr spot Payet – he was available and at a great price ?
    Plenty of questions but your posing the wrong ones.

We really do need training ground work on defending and attacking set pieces.

• 38 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Yo…Potential for a broken finger opening said email. The screen may be too bright and impair his vision. Really, I think it’s best just to leave it.

I’d suggest positive thoughts, but that could just give the lad a 6 month headache.

I’m afraid it’s a white padded cell for Taylor. He can then come out for one game later in the season.

That’d be 2 starts and surely we can call that progress?

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Carr has had a few flops through his career prior to turning up at SJP. The mess isn’t his fault, he certainly has to take part of the blame as some of the lower ones on his list probably shouldn’t have been on at all – Rivi for example. But I doubt his share of blame would out weigh some of the other culpable people at the club.

• 40 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I got to see something of McClaren during Middlesbrough’s domestic and european cup campaigns.
    If I was to hazard a guess it would be that he will now patiently wait for the players and formation he favours to gel.

• 41 magscar // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I mention the Board only as it does exist ( appointees wouldn’t be my choice!) and I do believe Ashley has taken a back step this season in terms of week to week running and so on. If McClaren doesn’t get more say in who is coming in we are in for more of the same I fear. I believe he had no choice in those coming in during summer other than he could say no.

Most posters would agree that our transfer policy to a large extent has been the source of much of our recent woes whether it being in type of player brought in, position, age, fees etc size of which has been the cause of our ongoing squad imbalance. It has to change not just in terms of the kitty.

Interestingly on the choice of appointees Ashley is in a strong position to point finger at all or any for failure of transfers since it was formed. He provides money and they waste it or otherwise.

On side note how Carragher can apparently (didn’t see it) denigrate the value of our transfer spending given the paucity of it compared to Rogers at his beloved club ( and at this very early stage) amazes me. Yet another ill informed and poorly read pundit which TV excels in. Not one of them has the courage to expose themselves to the reality of managing or coaching except for the failures such as Lawrenson at both levels ( include Shearer in that as well). Easier money.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Carr recommended Payet last summer and before. There were plenty of links between us and him with the media claiming that the club had decided he was overpriced and the wrong side of the age bracket. We were linked with him before he even joined Marseille.

• 43 pawl250 // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I am not concerned….. YET.

The goals last night, lets be honest the first was a piece of quality. It was not our “shoddy” defence of old.

The second was a poor ball from Thauvin, moved forward at pace by an extremely fast player in Moses. It was a tactical error in committing to many players, but overall it was not again down to our “shoddy” defence.

I mean how can people blame Colo or Mbemba for either goal, espeically the second when both are up for attacking an aerial ball and Thauvin cannot even get the ball into the box for them to attack.

Looking at our previous games,

Southampton H
    Swansea A
    Man Utd A
    Arsenal H
    West Ham A

I would have wanted/expected 4 points from the above. I would not expect any more. We have 2 points, do we really want to put ourselves under pressure so early on for the sake of 2 points in reality being of a expectation.

If you are honest you would expect the same amount of points surely no more than 6. I would however expect a win against Watford at the weekend. If we cannot win then we really do need a look at our team for under performers with being at home against opposition we should win.

• 44 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Ian…Not sure I’ve seen anyone criticse Mbemba for hoofing it out.

Agree that Parez and De Jong should start. If we had played like we did once they came on, from the beginning, I’d be far more encouraged.

A loan move for Moses would have been good to.

As for Solano being out of touch – What would reading articles from McClaren have to do with the financial landscape of the game?

I would hope we’re not encouraging or promoting the idea that fans are not important and have no sway anymore.

That right there is the single biggest mistake of the toon army. You may well chose not to do something, for whatever reason, but to suggest that nothing can be done is extremely out of touch and worrying in the extreme.

There is a reason why fans were being begged back in the SJP (despite the supposed low numbers of fans who weren’t attending) and for the clubs apparent U-Turn with regards to fan communication. It isn’t just to do with Steve arriving or the club having a change of heart.

• 45 magscar // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:14 PM

I also saw some of the Boro games live and remember one in which the Boro fans joined in with our fans in chanting “McClaren for England” as we went 2 up. Despite giving them the best period n their history ( but not football) they were mostly glad to see the back of him but hadn’t yet seen around the corner.

I am hoping that his mixed experiences since than have made him a better manager but i am still out with the jury on that and I feel the need coming on for some overnight hotel stays whilst the deliberations continue.

• 46 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Patience is key or Einsteins definition of insanity?

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:16 PM

I’m not convinced that Ashley had much to do with the running of the club week to week prior to the new football board. Pretty much everything that Pardew had said and the media said pointed to him being very much in the background already. They all still dance to his tune and he is still very much in control in my opinion.

All transfers this summer were players targeted prior to McClarens arrival. Who knows how much he wanted them all, maybe he did, but it will have been the club presenting the options, not McClaren naming who he wants and the club looking at him and buying him.

As for Carragher, who cares? Most of the pundits serve their own agendas and are biased to a club or against others. Matters little to me what he says, only a minority of the population can actually understand his mutterings anyway.

• 48 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM

He knows he has time. Even if things don’t look up by November, he will know managers who may sit above him in the league will be under greater pressure of the sack.
    Things don’t automatically gel in time, of course. If the ingredients and conditions aren’t right, they will never gel in a hundred years.

• 49 rivettCatcher // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM

@Pawl250 – brilliant post. I thought anything more than 6 points off the first 8 games would be good. Toughest start to a season I’ve ever seen.

Watford becomes a must win. If we can have a performance against Man City or Chelski I think we can have a good run to Xmas.

Fingers crossed.

• 50 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:24 PM

BandB…We best get comfortable then.

• 51 Ian Toon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Lilongwe- On transfer policy and thinking.
    We chatted last week on Moses and I am suggesting a change in the balance of our signings towards experienced finished article signings, either on loan or buys. I have watched a lot of Cabaye on tv this season and his range of passing would have been perfect for or new group of players. The creativity was none existent last night.
    It doesn’t have to be any more costly. From what I have read and questions answered it appears that Macca is going to play a key part in directing Carr’s scouting activity. Closer to home we could have secured players to fit the jig saw particularly defensively. As for shedding players not wanted whatever happened to the financial inducement in order to go. We need some financial people who know how football works. I can understand the claim that we can’t bring a CB in because we’ve got 2/3 we want shot of.

• 52 solano // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Ian Toon….”You’re out of touch”? Maybe! Or is it you being ironic as my former stalker/convert?
    The game has certainly changed, but the ball is still round and I can recognise bullshit when I see it, read it and smell it. Nowt has changed at NE1 but a revised budget in line with all the other ‘survivors’ who exist to exist.
    As for our summer ‘spree’ and the declaration of its success, which is only beginning to be challenged.
    1) we didn’t clear away deadwood and disruptive influences and no hopers.
    2) Our signings (with exception of Wiji) have question marks over them or have issues which I hope our ‘Super Scou’t Carr researched and evaluated.
    – Thauvin is a problem diva off the pitch and had a poor last season in France, He also lacks application and pace.
    -Mbemba is a good footballer who can play and defend but lacks height and( if not properly supported off the pitch) will encounter problems. He is autistic and will need a strutured programme that helps him integrate socially into his new environment (we couldn’t proovide that for Cabella who struggled to learn the language or come to terms with his sexuality)
    -Mitrovic (as we already know) is a talented ticking timembomb who will continue to frustrate as well as (hopefully) delight.
    Some of the above, is a statement of the obvious and some ‘claims’ may come to you as a surprise. All I can say is, I know far more than your Daily Ryder will feed you! 😉

• 53 magscar // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I believe that Ashley had more regular contact with Llambias and Charnley and set the foundations for club transfer policy as well as the kitty up until Summer when he has disengaged.

He has appointed a unique type of board in football world but that is his business way. In his Board he trusts ( we get to watch) .

• 54 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Ian…I’d have been impressed if the club simply released some of this deadwood they can’t shift, rather than allowing it to dictate what moves in the market we’d make.

• 55 solano // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:27 PM

And for those who can’t remember…we could have had Moses for £1m quid when he was at Palace and Hughton wanted him up here. His answer from Ash/Derek was ” unproven, too expensive”

• 56 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM

I agree with the general consensus that Cisse was awful.

Apart from the purple patch when he first came to us he has looked very ordinary to terrible.

If we are going to play a lone striker we need one that can control the ball and hold up play. He does neither.

The match commentators said that Anita was man marking Payet which would possibly account for him not being in the right places at the right times.

Once a player is set to do something like that it immediately compromises the whole mid-field setup as the target player will deliberately be trying to pull the marker out of position. It’ not a system I personally like.

Till we get points on the board I would rather we play boring defensive football than us being gung-ho as we are at present. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

• 57 Ian Toon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Ibiza – The articles were in The Times and Sunday Times following interviews with Carr and Macca. I posted them over the weekend.

• 58 magscar // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Before I go and in the cold light of day after last night’s massive disappointment I return to an early season thought. As most on here would claim the club has been in a shambles for all of Ashley’s tenure and given the depth and width of the disarray to expect the level of change to correct this in 5 games is highly ambitious.

We aren’t likely to find out until end of Jamuary whether or not McClaren and Co are up to this task but it will take much longer than that to correct.

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I might have believed Ashley wasn’t still controlling it if a competent board had been formed. The board as is are probably the first four who turned up to the ground the day he had this idea to deflect attention. Ashley only actually joined the board at the club after Kinnear had left.

I’ve never understood from a footballing point of view why our recruitment was so severely limited. Even Kinnear saw that we needed a greater emphasis on scouting the UK and tried to appoint Mick Harford to oversee UK scouting operations. Not exactly the personnel I’d want in charge but the right idea.

Anyway, off out. Back tomorrow.

• 60 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Ian…Thanks. Without wanting to sound rude, I wasn’t asking where the articles came from, or must I read them to understand your point and why we should listen to McClaren as our go to on the ever changing financial world of football?

Everyone knows about the increased TV money, and yes, that makes the match going fan less important financially, but in my opinion, no where near the level some would like us to believe. People do have power, and oppositions greatest weapon is making you believe you don’t.

The fact that TV money is huge, does not give fans an automatic out from standing up for the club when needed.

I’m talking general principles here, rather than suggesting people take to the streets 5 games in to the season.

• 61 Ian Toon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Solano- Ha Ha – Fair play you converted me from being a long time reader to a poster. You then had a light amusing touch but predominantly football inspired. I find it disappointing that you reluctantly have morphed into a political animal – I go for hope over despair as a toon fan.
    I hope your well and that the toon and your fortunes are in the ascendency.

• 62 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM

magscar…It’s not just 5 games really.

This re-build should have started after Pardew left. Palaces did.

We went with, and continue to do so, the let’s wait and see approach. It’s infectious!

• 63 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM

If we recall correctly, the period between the announcement that Ashley was joining “the board” and taking a more hands-on approach, and the announcement that he was leaving “the board” and taking a more hands-off approach was 13 months.
    That suggests a PR rethink to me, rather than any fundamental change of policy .
    And if it WAS a policy U-turn, it doesn’t reflect a great deal more credit on goings-on at the top.

• 64 toonbrother // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM

jail for Ashley
    if you can show me where we agreed you would pay £100 to the SBR foundation rather than a charity of my choice I would be more than happy to accept that

Not sure why you keep saying I moved the goalposts
    You are a grown man and agreed to the terms of the bet of your own free will
    You lost the bet fair and square
    Had the shoe been on the other foot I assure you I would have graciously accepted and paid up without the unnecessary grumbling and prevaricating
    I expect you to do the same!
    Please pay £100 to the charity of my choice as we agreed

• 65 pawl250 // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM

I agree. Certainly not an easy start. Our next 5 games are:-

Watford H – We should expect a win surely! 3 POINTS

Chelsea H – Probably a loss, cannot see the bad run continue for them. 0 POINTS

Man City A – Loss. 0 POINTS

Norwich H – Need to look for a win again, this is a team we should be winning at home. 3 POINTS

Sunderland A – I would say win, but they are so spawny, so I will say a draw. We should be again looking to win though to end this drought of derby wins. 1 POINT

9 Points in 10 games.

I would have wanted 12, but this is my prediction and should be achievable.

• 66 solano // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:40 PM

The prem money and fnas attending are inexorably linked through the need to project the image to the world that we have the best league in the world. Ashley proved that by appearing on tv on the last day of the season. It was the greatest victory for the fans who protested and forced him to realise that his money spinner was in jeopardy through a boycott and without the spin that the fans feed on.
    Liongwe is spot on that the board shake up is cosmetic and Bob Concur and co are still micro mnaged by the Head cheese.

• 67 Ian Toon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Ibiza – I don’t have you down as an embittered nutter likely to be climbing the barricades. Our transfer dealings will continue to change. Carr is 70+ and I sense that Macca will have a great deal more influence towards us operating like most PL clubs.
    The only obstacle to change is if we continue not to win football matches!
    Watford and 3 points.

• 68 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM

afternoon how’s everyone doin day after the crap the night before!
    gave my views last night on the team on review this morning i’ll stick with that maybe i was a touch harsh on colo…but does’nt matter now…the team i would like to see against watford..
    ——————–de jong———–perez———————–

could always play aarons instead of thauvin,obertan in for sissoko,or cisse for perez but id like to see this coz something needs to change

• 69 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM

the team comes across like a bunch of big time charlies…..try hard against better sides thru fear of an absolute hiding…and think they just have to show up against the lesser sides to win……i think mr black has his work cut out changing that attitude…and thats a big part of the problem imo

• 70 solano // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Ian…you settled for permanent despair.
    Hope is breaking free from the need to engage with others who believe posting is an end in itself.
    Better to have tried and lost than to pretend you did anything at all.

• 71 toonbrother // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM

JFA I see no reference to sbr foundation when our bet was struck on this thread.

Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:02 AM
    toonbotherer, have you taken me up on your bet

toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM
    I am happy to donate £100 to a charity of choice if we win a game in which colocinni plays 90 mins
    I will donate through just giving.

toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    Justgiving lets you record your name anyway so you’ll clearly see the donation came from Toonbrother
    Also this wager only applies to the first 5 games otherwise it is not symmetrical.

Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:24 AM
    I’ll have that, we’ll beat Watford at home. You didn’t half change the goal posts there mind !

• 72 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM

the only thing cisse did good was give us a laugh when he tried the overhead…he looked like he kicked himself in the face tbh!!lol

• 73 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Ian…We can only hope that the positive thoughts of some can pull something off. Doesn’t appear to be coming from anywhere else at the minute.

Don’t discount me from being a “embittered nutter” quite yet.

• 74 toonbrother // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:02 AM
    toonbotherer, have you taken me up on your bet

toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM
    I will donate through just giving.

Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    Ok, i will too, but you have to send the receipt to Ed as confirmation!And give him permission to tell me he’s received it.

toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    Anyone taking me up on the bet must donate £100 to a charity of my choice if we have not won a league game after 5 games with colocinni in the first 11

Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:24 AM

• 75 pawl250 // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Give yourself a shake. Coloccini was not at fault at all yesterday, and has been our man of the match against Man Utd and could have easily been the same against Arsenal had he not been unlucky with the deflection.

Mr great and all knowing predicted we would not win a game out of Southampton, Swansea, Man Utd, Arsenal and West Ham. Arguably only West Ham I would say we had a chance in winning.

Yet in all those games Coloccini was not the problem that much is apparent.

• 76 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM

toon brother
    was that before the southampton game?…unsure of the game date thats all

• 77 pawl250 // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM

It was after Southampton game which is why JFA most likley said we will win Watford.

Toonbrother is now attempting to say he won the bet by including Southampton despite the game being played before the dates he has posted.

Meaning JFA still has a game to go as far as am concerned.

• 78 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM

toonbrother…I’d suggest a double up if I were you.

No win by 10 games and £200. Easy money, surely?

• 79 magscar // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Lilongwe/Band B

Get what you are saying and I know what history tells us and so on. In my usual way though I am prepared to wait until end of January to see if anything really has begun to change since Ashey’s televised Damascus moment.

PR yes but was there some final recognition that something had to change if only to preserve the cash cow status of his club ( not forgetting the recent disappearance of his other project – Rangers).

There clearly had to be change but how deep and far remains hidden. Many of the old guard on here remain ( and will do so) completely unconvinced can’t blame them but won’t join them – at least not yet.

• 80 pawl250 // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM

He wont do that as he is not confident, hence him saying 5 games, knowing who the 5 games were against.

That said after looking at the date they agreed the next 5 games would include an upcoming game against Watford which JFA mentioned saying “we will win Watford at home I will take that”

• 81 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM

How can Toonbrother claim to be betting on the result of a game that had already been played?
    There’s a law against that.

• 82 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM

cheers mate….wasnt sure…it looks like jfa is willing to pay up…i think if he does there may well be another bet coming this time from jfa to toonbrother tho!!lol

• 83 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:58 PM

good point

• 84 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Pawl…It stunk at the time, still stinks now. I don’t think Jail cares too much, he’s said he’ll pay the money to charity, but wants it to be the SBR foundation.

The 5 games / Watford thing was discussed at the time I believe. The whole thing stunk 🙂

BandB…But this blog is self regulating….apparently.

• 85 toonbrother // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM

notice jfa is not contesting the fact I won the bet
    so your point makes no sense
    the only reason I didn’t point out Watford was the 6th game of the season is I DIDNT KNOW EITHER
    I hadn’t even looked at the fixture list when I made that bet!
    Fact is I won the bet he lost
    A good cause ultimately benefits from this
    Also, McLaren is an astute man.
    It wont take him long to figure out what a horrible defender colocinni is
    Behind every cloud there’s a silver lining guys

• 86 WWSBRD // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Just on this bet it’s a bit under handed isn’t it? JfA clearly was under the impression Watford was included in the games as proven by the comments toonbottler posted

Nothing to say we will beat Watford but clearly it was under those grounds that the altered bet was accepted

Fair play to u JfA if u pay up early though

• 87 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Jail still has the Watford game dosn’t he?

We will destroy them on Saturday.

• 88 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM

afternoon ibiza…still struggling in the sunshine!!lol

• 89 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM

The Rangers debacle has hardly been mentioned, but would certainly have doubled the pressure on the crisis management team to provide Ashley with a redemptive moment.
    He was looking like a bit of a chump at the time.

• 90 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Springy…Taking it day by day, really appreciate the continued support. It’s heart warming 🙂

• 91 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM

…or maybe it’s just the sun?

• 92 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM

I hope JFA makes his charity donation.
    And that Toonbrother continues to gloat over his “triumph.”
    Only one winner there.

• 93 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM

hahaha…..its the sun mate…defo the sun!!lol…u see the game im assuming you did?

• 94 martoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:13 PM

You can’t deny we were dreadful last night but I think some people are pressing the panic button a bit too early. A lot of us said it would take time for the new coaching staff and players to bed in and gel.
    Although McClaren did not want to use it as an excuse I can’t help feeling that walking the last mile and arriving 20 mins before KO was hardly ideal preparation. It was a disgrace the game was not delayed half an hour or so but that would have disrupted Sky’s schedules!

• 95 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM

BandB….It would seem that he will be making said donation and indeed will be coming out a winner.

Springy…I did. Wish I’d just caught the last 20 minutes, where there were some signs of encouragement. If McClarens default didn’t appear to be so defensive so far this season, I’d be a lot more willing to join the let’s wait and see show. I’m not hounding McClaren at this stage, I just don’t see what it is that others seemingly are.

martoon…They do say that you shouldn’t judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes, but…

• 96 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM

it will take time.. just disappointed..was expecting more in performance due to the last few performances despite results…..think the players need to have a good hard look at there attiudes to games…thats why i posted #69

• 97 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM

I’m certainly not panicking. Things are pretty much what I expected.
    A few buttons were being pressed somewhat prematurely.
    Including the Glory, Glory Hallelujah button.

• 98 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:21 PM

disappointed…but tryin to be patient

• 99 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:23 PM

thoughts on the team i posted for watford?

• 100 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Springy…If things continue as they are, I’ll be a patient soon, and on very strong medication 🙂

There is nothing to panic about yet, it is early days. Things would be a lot easier though if people stopped saying how wonderful things are and how amazing all the work the club have done is.

I’m nearly back in my comfort zone – I feel the need to call for middle ground. But where’s the fun in that?

Has anyone watched any Watford games this season? It’s becoming a “must win” for many fans, how realistic do people think a win is? I’ve not actually watched them play at all, so other than going “Phhh…it’s only Watford” I can’t really comment.

I’m fairly sure there’s some Watford fan out there going “Phhh…It’s only Newcastle!”

Maybe it was just me that went “Phhhh” though. I can’t be sure.

• 101 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:30 PM

I think all anyone has wanted has been the “time” and opportunity to see whether the Brave New World was a thing of substance, without being labelled as a “usual suspect” or subjected to eye-popping, apoplectic rants about their fitness as fans.

• 102 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:32 PM

things were never going to change over night we will need to try different players,team formations and still do enough points wise to be safe…hopefully january they’ll see the weaker points in the side and strengthen no matter who that weakness is…whether thats the captain or a so called stars

• 103 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I have every right to contest your claims, my remark about winning the Watford game clearly proves that I thought you meant the next five games rather than games we had already played,
    but I misread it and will pay the £100 to SBR as I said when we first made the bet. As for you asking me to be a Gentleman and pay up, your underhand moving the goal posts of your ridiculous claims makes you nothing but a bounder and a cad !

• 104 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM

I fancy us beating watford by 3 clear goals. Saturday will see a performance from the lads, im confident.

• 105 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Springy…I’m not usually one to jump in to starting line ups, but here we go…

Not sure on Tiote. From what we’ve seen of him, which is very little lately, it would respresent a huge risk for me.

I’d possibly be tempted to go:

Sissoko – Anita – Gini
    —De Jong–Thauvin–

Forget too much wingplay for now, no one seems to be able to deliver enough decent balls to make it worthwhile, plus with Perez up front, who is it they’re targetting?

Play it on the deck, pass the ball around.

Anita didn’t impress last night, but I think he has been doing well and shouldn’t be dropped yet. Although, i wont lose too much sleep over it.

• 106 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM

BandB…Absolutely. This insistance that to be a fan you simply must be positive and call it that way from the off is creating so many problems.

It’s simply not needed.

• 107 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM

have’nt seen watford but im not convinced its goin to be as easy as some may think…i just hope the players dont go in with the attitude of we just need to show up to win,which to me they seem to do

• 108 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM

That bet seems void, clearly there has been a misunderstanding.

• 109 Jib // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:38 PM

B and B – Government Health Warning

• 110 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:43 PM

jail for ashley
    fair play mate
    can you see macca changing that side that played last night…..i cant

• 111 martoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Springy – you make some valid points.

Ibiza @95 I never thought of that 🙂

BandB @97 – I would have been happy with a draw yesterday but the one at Old Trafford was unexpected so I suppose actually it is all as expected!

• 112 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Springy…Strangely, yes. This is where the hope takes over.

Come on Steve – Do it! Mix it up. Get positive.

• 113 DaraghL // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:46 PM

JFA –

Fair play lad. I would not have paid up out of principal as he consistently changed the bet from the original bet which was the whole season. I like you would interpret the bet as next 5 games given that a) you stated in your acceptance that we will be Watford (the sixth game) & b) We had already played the first march.

However; I must commend you for choosing to pay up as the SBR foundation is a very worthy cause and any donations, no matter how they come about are to be commended.

I would hope that when (ok, if) we beat Watford, Toonbrother will have the decency to also pay his dues.

• 114 DaraghL // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM

I have more typo’s in that sentence then I’ve had women…so about 3.

• 115 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Sorry for not replying was out. Yeah I believe looking at it in a way of who made the least mistakes is very negative way at looking at it, however not much last night is positive which was the reason for my statement.

And Mbemba may have made a couple of poor clearances but I still can’t remember a moment where it put us in a position that was hard to recover from. Nobody highlighted it however for the first goal Janmaat for some reason flicked the ball backwards in the air towards the edge of our box when he didn’t exactly have loads of pressure on him which I was scratching my head at.

And as much as I love the whole, trying to play football the right way philosophy I do also believe there is a time and place and were starting to get robbed at the back just a couple of times now. Look at Liverpool fans slaughtering Lovren because of it.

• 116 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:49 PM

if u compare the results with the same teams last season i think we have one more point….tough start…but hopefully they are much improved against watford

• 117 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM

broons…No problem, thanks for getting back to me. I get what you’re saying and certainly don’t feel that strongly about Mbembas mistakes to make a deal out of them. I’d have to look back, but could argue that he was lucky that someone else was present to clear up his mistakes and not be exposed. As I recall there were a couple of really weak headed clearances that went straight the West Ham on the edge of our box.

Still, I’m really happy with him. One of our better defenders, along with Janmaat (for me anyway).

As for the negative way of looking at it. Wasn’t a reflection on you, but the way the team are playing. We all had to do the same thing, which was pick the best of a bad bunch.

I do also agree on there being a time and place for playing the game “properly” and the good ole “better to be safe than sorry – hoof it out”.

• 118 BandB // Sep 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM

I said we could win at Old Trafford.
    We have always been able to pull off the odd surprise result against “Rolls-Royce” teams, and we will continue to do so.
    That’s why I don’t buy into the “first 10 games are a write-off” theory.
    I fear it will be the teams like West Ham which play a more direct game than the probing, sniping one of the top four, that will take us apart.
    We weren’t taken apart last night. But we were never in the game either.
    I look at the fixture list up until Christmas and I don’t see too many gimme’s in it.
    We have tended to be comfortably into the mid-twenties in terms of points by Christmas, and it has saved us.
    We have some time. But we need to start winning sooner rather than later.

• 119 toon kk // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM

We will really struggle ALL season, we haven’t a squad capable to compete in the premier league. We have some good players but they lack pace and are more suited to French style of play. Poor scouting is just wasting millions.
    Funny thing is Most fans actually think we have a strong squad, not for the EPL we haven’t.
    Changing our style of play would help to a certain extent but we have the same lackluster bunch what ever we do.
    We’re in our second season without one top striker and a team that doesn’t even know how to supply.
    It a nut shell we’re sh.t.
    There’s better paceier player’s in the championship that would entertaining us better than the weak slow tricksters playing for Newcastle.

• 120 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:03 PM

BandB…We’re just doing it the other way round this season. Last year we did our points collecting in the first half, this season it’ll be the second half. All you need is one half a season. We’ve shown it a few times now.

Wait – we’re trying to win something now though.

• 121 martoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:09 PM

BandB @118 – I agree with that and you are right we weren’t taken apart last night. In fact if Payet had missed his chance then at half time we probably would have thought we were the better of two poor teams.
    I don’t know if anybody watched the analysis later on by Gary Neville but he showed a passing diagram of our central midfield players and hardly any of them had a forward pass – that he said was the heart of our problem!

• 122 jimmysmith // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Toonbrother, if you don’t match JFA’s donation, then you’re clearly a scalliwag. And even if you fail to recognise it now, you certainly will given time. Best to just do the right thing and be done with it, pal.

• 123 toonking // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:19 PM

you are showing a very good will power to have made the donation of £100 itself, A law would state that the minute a bet gets made it can’t be changed therefore he should be allowing you a full season to comply on whether or not this bet will be won.

As he made this new bet after the southampton game and didn’t refuse it after you confirmed the watford game yourself it is therefore still in play and be won by yourself.

previous post: What We Learned Last Night – What McClaren Can Do