The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

These Two Players Deserve Their Chance Against Watford

2:36 pm, Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

There were too many players last night in London who had ordinary games for Newcastle and just didn’t look sharp enough, and since Steve McClaren has some good players on the bench it may be time to shake the side up – in midfield and up front a little – so we have more of a chance of scoring some goals.

We have gone over 400 minutes playing in the Premier League without scoring a goal. and Steve McClaren and company will have to get to grips with that in training this week.

Siem De Jong at West+Ham+United

Siem de Jong in action last night

We don’t expect wholesale changes on Saturday, but we thought both Ayoze Perez and Siem de Jong looked good when they came on after 60 minutes last night, and both deserve a start on Saturday..

In our poll after the game for Newcastle best player Perez and de Jong are second and fourth respectively – so the fans thought they looked good too last night.

That’s one of the things the head coach can do when there is an off performance like last night, give some of the good subs a start – and keep that competition for places keen.

Steve could also look at whether Vurnon Anita and Jack Colback are the best two choices for the two holding positions at the back.

Newcastle have a number of our midfield players who can play the holding role at the back – so that’s probably another consideration for the head coach.

Steve McClaren could even go with a 4-4-2 formation on Saturday, but it would seem we need Aleksandar Mitrovic in for that to work – maybe a Mitrovic – Cisse or Mitrovic – Perez partnership could bring us some goals in the future?

What changes would you make to the team for the game against Watford on Saturday?

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At West Ham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Ayoze Perez · Coaching · Jack Colback · Siem de Jong · Vurnon Anita

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Actually its interesting to hear quite a few people now mention our lack of speed as a major downfall. I actually think we have quite a quick powerful team that don’t realise how to exploit it *cough* sissoko….

But what do people generally think of Thauvin? I think he looked like a petrified little boy last night felt uncomfortable watching him.

• 2 VanBasten // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM

It was very evident from the game last night that the balance of the team is not right. The central midfield is the main area that needs to be addressed as it’s also the core of the entire team.

My suggestion is drop Colback and then have Wijnaldum play at a central midfield position. Then either use Perez or De Jong as the no.10. Colback and Anita is not working and Anita is better holding midfielder than Colback. The ideal player for this holding position would be Tiote if he’s fit and can produce the form he showed 2-3 years ago.

• 3 mindshaft // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:49 PM

At least Perez and DeJong tried to thread a few passes and looked forward – we have to be one of the slowest teams at building attacking play – side, side, side , side , side, forward – give ball away

To survive in the prem league at our level ( Leicester, Palace, Villa ) you either have to be able to switch defence to attack quickly as per Palace/West Ham or constantly pressure the ball as per Leicester

Not sure we can just put the blame on Carr – his remit is to buy cheap players – didn’t he recommend Ayew /Bony and Gomis which didn’t make it over the line due to wages etc

• 4 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:49 PM

VanBasten

Basically echoing what I have been saying, our midfield is lacking creativity and Mcclaren apparently wants us to play football while Colback isn’t a footballer. He’s a grafter and nowt else.

• 5 VanBasten // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:52 PM

I think Wijanldum can be a central midfield playmaker that Cabaye was. He looks very comfortable on the ball and I think once he gets used to a set position and the duties that come with it, he can just improve.

Perhaps his long range passing is not in par with Cabaye’s, but he got better pace and flair and will definitely give more threats in attacking plays.

• 6 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:53 PM

mindshaft

Well yeah its quite obvious but easier said than done, I agree not a fan of 2 holding midfielders as it just slows game down massively.

Pardew had the most success when he played a fast tempo counter attack 4-3-3. But I think still get De Jong in the team as he is by far our most intelliganet player, dissapointed with wijnaldum last night however he was fighting a lost cause.

• 7 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM

VanBasten

Despite his dissapointing performance last night, I still believe he is our best player. We should however be trying to get De Jong on the pitch. Having him warm the bench and headless chicken colback on the pitch is depressing.

• 8 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM

tiote must be near to full fitness by now and al tho his sharpness myt be lacking i would bring him in tbh….colback and anita just does’nt work

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM

toonbotherer,
    That’s my end of the bargain stuck to, I have just sent £100 to the SBR via PayPal, I have taken screen shots of the receipt and mailed them to Ed. I have given him permission to confirm this if you don’t believe me.
    You however are a low down guttersnipe !

• 10 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:59 PM

i agree de jong should start and perez up front he had a little cameo last night and showed more then cisse did all game

• 11 magfly // Sep 15, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Would rather have Cabella than Thauvin that could turn out to be a bad bit of business cabella had a year of premier league football

• 12 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM

jail
    classy mate fair play

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:01 PM

I’d have Demba Ba and Cabaye back in a heart beat

• 14 VanBasten // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:01 PM

I like Colback but he doesn’t offer anything in terms of creating a the right balance in a system they are playing right now. If they were playing a diamond system, I could definitely see a player like Colback fit in better,

But in the current system you need different players that can complement one another. Also, Colback is not, and will never be, a player that you would base a system around.

But I agree, I really would like to see a true no.10 like De Jong play in that role and see how we do. I think Perez has the qualities to be playing in that role too. Perez will definitely add more pressure on defenders in that role.

• 15 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM

van basten
    i posted a team i’d like to see earlier and that was a diamond with de jong and perez as front two….worth a try

• 16 the broons // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM

magfly

Thauvin was the biggest dissapointment because I knew Cisse was finished for a while, however he showed last night that actually he isn’t cut out for this level. Would even comtemplate dropping him for Aarons next game because atleast he will run at players.

Thauvin did not despite what people think, he did the old trick look like am doing something but really am doing fudge all. Cisse the same running towards a player but not actually closing them down.

• 17 Transfer Sage // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:07 PM

For me the problem is once again, as per previous years, we are picking a safe option in the team. No ambition for attacking play.

As a mid table side, which is what were really are, we should be looking to entertain as we certainly won’t win anything.

I was very impressed with Perez last night and think he can play a wide forward/striker role very well, looked good in his cameo.

I’d personally have Wijnaldum and Anita in the deeper roles, allowing Wijnaldum to get forward when the situation allows it. I’d have De Jong in behind the striker which for me would be Perez as Cisse has been shocking, but would give Mitro another go when his ban is over although he hasn’t impressed me much in his couple of games.

I’d then play Thauvin right and Aarons left, give them a run on the flanks. But when Mitro returns I’d probably bench Thauvin and place Perez in the wider role.

• 18 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM

repost;
    ——————————–krul———————————-
    janmaat———–mbemba——-colo—————haidara
    ——————————-tiote———————————-
    sissoko—————————————————thauvin
    ——————————-gini———————————–
    ——————–de jong———–perez———————–

could always play aarons instead of thauvin,obertan in for sissoko,or cisse for perez but id like to see this coz something needs to change

• 19 Ibizatoon // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Jail…I was saying this to a mate last night – What i’d give to have a Demba Ba in the team at the minute.

During times of rebuilding, surely it makes sense to have gotten someone in who can make things happen out of nothing.

Maybe if Mitrovich stays on the pitch for a while he may relax and produce the goods. As mentioned previously, it’s a lot of responsibility to put on a young lads shoulders.

• 20 Oldgit1 // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:09 PM

@ jail for Ashley you sir are a true gentleman. But feel bitter towards toonbrother, he is a cad of the highest order and a turd. Sorry tried to keep the stiff upper lip, failed lol. I to was going to take the bet when the original bet was for all season. The little toe rag changed the bet. He is a dishonest man and I for one will now boycott all his blogs. If I see his name I will gloss over. I have nothing but total hatred for this guy. You sir have my utmost respect. My hat off to you .

• 21 VanBasten // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:10 PM

@the broons

Sadly, I have to agree with you on Cisse. He looks done and I think his best days are behind him. Newcastle should sell him in the next window while they still can get some decent money from him.

@SPRINGY

Haven’t seen your team selection. Who did you have in midfield? But I would not mind seeing DeJong and Perez at the top. I rather have those two than any combos involving Cisse.

• 22 SPRINGY // Sep 15, 2015 at 3:12 PM

van basten
    just reposted it mate above your last post

• 23 GeordielivinginDover // Sep 15, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Sissoko is wasted on the wing . He needs to be central. We also don’t need to be playing with two holding midfield as its affecting creativity. A midfield of colback holding breaking up no more, either side sissoko and wyn arrons on left ober on right is how I would go until further recruitment in January.

• 24 loonie-toon // Sep 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM

I would drop thauvin for arrons on weekend for Watford put Perez up front with sossoko or de Jong playing off him and wat about Toney fink I would have him on bench instead of cisse might b good to drop cisse out squad for a game e might pull is finger out and have ovbertan and arrons on flanks for pace we got to try some thing else

• 25 bladeuser // Sep 15, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Cisse is one of the worst strikers in any epl team he sucks
    ASHLEY OUT
    WELSH OUT

• 26 NYMAG // Sep 15, 2015 at 7:23 PM

I agree about it Perez looking lively but Dejong looked very rusty. His performance reminded me of when you bring your Dad along for a kick-about….he looked so off the pace

previous post: Poor Performance Puts Focus On Newcastle’s Transfer Policy