The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Get Serious About Scoring – Young Coach In Charge

3:46 pm, Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

We have already seen some improvement in the Newcastle defense this season, although to be honest the two goals we conceded at West Ham on Monday night were very poor goals to concede.

But we’ve also seen in the two league games before that, Newcastle putting in two fantastic rearguard actions at Manchester United and at home to Arsenal when we played a large part of the game with 10 men.

We conceded only one goal in those two games – and then came Monday night.

ian cathro

Ian Cathro – no – that way – that´s where the goal is

But Newcastle have failed to score for four league games, and our last league goal goes way back to when Gini Wijnaldum put us ahead 2-1 in the first game at home to Southampton, and that was early in the second half.

It´s very likely that Ayoze Perez will get a start on Saturday in place of Papiss Cisse, and we´d also like to see Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons get a start against Watford.

We cannot win games if we cannot score goals, so it’s interesting that when Newcastle returned to training today at Benton, Ian Cathro, our young 29 year-old coach was put in charge of the forwards.

So that says something about what McClaren thinks of the young coach, who seemed to make an impact with the defense in pre-season.

Ian Cathro today had the players doing one-touch passing drills as a warm-up before working on crossing and shooting (about time) – according to local reports.

Ian Cathro is highly regarded as a coach and for one so young he already has an excellent name in coaching – after joining Newcastle after leaving his position as assistant manager at Valencia.

Who knows Ian wants his next step to be as a head coach somewhere – and there´s a possibility that if he does well at Newcastle he could be offered that job down the road.

And let´s say this – if Newcastle win 5-0 on Saturday – Hail to Cathro!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Ed…Didn’t we have this article a week or two ago?

McClaren has been working wonders with the defense, now our top young coach will be working with the strikers?

• 2 Ibizatoon // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Got my wires crossed there Ed…as you were.

• 3 Llort muw // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM

This is Perez’s big chance to show McClaren what he can do, we’ve all seen it, but it seems McClaren is reluctant on starting youth upfront. Every time Perez plays he looks a class above the rest and I really don’t get what he has to do to start.

• 4 Wayayman // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM

I watched the first 15 minutes or so of the training session this morning, with one-touch, piggy-in-the-middle drills. My 12yr old son’s team have more intensity, purpose and accuracy about them. Sissoko just seemed to pass anywhere, often straight at the player in the middle who was closing him down.
    I hope the session warmed up a bit, as it made for depressing watching. Get on periscope as I think it’s available for viewing after the event too.

• 5 barkel // Sep 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM

We need to play more than 1 up front, it’s just not working for us at all.
    I think the only out and out striker that we have available is Cisse and even though he was worse than useless on Monday I’d still start him. The back 5 pick themselves because we don’t have any options.
    So my line up – flat 3 in the middle and Perez & Aarons doing the running behind Cisse

Jan Chancel Colo Haidara
    Sissoko DeJong Gini
    Aarons Cisse Perez

• 6 Bobbybee // Sep 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Ibiza, no need to take anybody’s word on anything marra, just a look at the photos that were taken – 3-400 max. No, I don’t have any photos myself, but they were available at the time. Same with the one outside the gallowgate and you can’t argue with facts. A few hundred, no more. One of the biggest pieces of disinformation was regarding the money raised from tickets and merchandise. The claim that it goes straight into Ashley’s pocket is far from the truth. That money is designated for transfers, therefore boycotting only damages the future prospects. The idea that it hurts Ashley simply isn’t true. Anyway, that’s now a moot point, because money is now being released for transfers regardless of where it came from. I have no reason whatsoever to underestimate the size of the turnout, because photos would prove me wrong. Again, I will always back any individual’s right to protest 100%. I was just being realistic in my assessment of why it’s doomed to failure. The shirt thing is another joke. It’s not anti-wonga, it’s anti-Newcastle. It removes the only important piece on the shirt – the club badge. Without the badge it’s just a B&W shirt. You might as well wear a notts county shirt, or juventus. There are retro shirts without ANY sponsorship on them that contain the badge and the money raised goes towards NUFC.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Sep 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Bobby…I’m aware of the pictures, I posted them on here and twitter at the time. As I said, I also know and spoke with people who attended.

Not that it matters. 50 or 50,000, something was wrong and those people, in my opinion, did something they believed in and something I too believe in.

When discussing monies, are you stating an opinion or fact?

For me, it’s far from a moot point, in fact, I’m surprised at how little it’s discussed these days.

We know, without doubt, that at Rangers he put certain deals in place that favoured him, rather than the club, are we to assume that he hasn’t done so at NUFC?

Whether it’s his back pocket is neither here nor there, it’s perhaps bad terminology. Is all that money going back in to the club? I do have doubts.

To be honest, all of that is semantics for me. I am a huge believer in people power, you seem to accept that as Ashley paid for the club he should be allowed to act as he sees fit without people standing up to him. I cannot accept that and find it a dangerous mentality to have.

I asked a little while back is there anything he could do which would make someone protest / boycott. Is there for you, or is seeing the lads and showing your support that way untouchable, no matter what?

• 8 banjax // Sep 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM

With the alleged sickness and absentia from Cisse and other reported disgruntlements , it would seem all is not well with the staff at NUFC and to quite honest I am really pissed off. Excuse after excuse is wearing thin. I don’t know if it is the talent scouting that is below par or what, but Pardew seems to be flourishing at C.P. so the problem must lie with the Newcastle set up and the quality of players at the club. They all seem un-interested, unfit and uncommitted to the club. I hear people saying ‘what’s all the panic – it’s early days’ , but we had the same start and excuses last season with brief winning spell and then we all know what happened after that. My personal choice of blame laying is recruitment policy. Many of our player buys have been promising young players with sell on value and not established quality and therefore not ready to play in the premier league. Newcastle need to be looking at 27 to 30 year old seasoned players who are good to go with established track records like the West Ham player we had the chance to buy and who clinically destroyed Newcastle in the first 10 minutes. So please let’s stop making allowances for multi- millionaire players and incompetent recruitment.

previous post: What’s Your Team For Watford?

next post: Happy Birthday Aleksandar Mitrovic – Kind Of