The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

What’s Your Team For Watford?

3:05 pm, Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

It’s almost certain that Steve McClaren will make some changes in the starting line-up for our now very important home game against Watford on Saturday and it seems that Ayoze Perez may get his chance up front in place of Papiss Cisse, who didn’t have a good game on Monday night, although he didn’t have much service either.

Siem De Jong at West+Ham+United

Siem de Jong – could start in place of Thauvin?

This could be the team Steve McClaren starts on Saturday:

Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini (c) Haidara
Colback Sissoko
de Jong Wijnaldum Aarons

There are three changes from the side that started on Monday night with Vurnon Anita, Florian Thauvin and Papiss Cisse giving way to Siem de Jong, Rolando Aarons and Ayoze Perez.

There are a number of players who can play the holding role for Newcastle, and one of them is Moussa Sissoko, and mainly because of his lack of goals he may be put back to partner Jack Colback.

Moussa played defensive midfield when he was at Toulouse.

The big man can still make his surging runs through the middle, and putting Moussa back in a holding position allows Siem de Jong to come in on the right, in a familiar 4-2-3-1 formation.

We also expect Thauvin to be left out and Rolando Aarons given a chance – but maybe Gabby Obertan could also come in – depending on how he’s looked in training.

And Ayoze Perez up front always does a lot of work, and he would get more involved in the game than Cisse does when he’s the lone man up front.

That gives three good players their chance on Saturday, after such a disappointing team display on Monday night.

What would your team be for Saturday?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 jayphoto // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:13 PM

not sure about De Jong wide ed, he’s slow as a post. Similarly I think Gini is our best player and wasted wide.
    I’d go
    Janmaat, mbemba, colo, Haidara
    sissoko Gini
    Thauvin De Jong Aarons

Been a while since a performance has annoyed me as much as Cisse against West Ham. His movement was awful. His work rate was poor. His control was poor etc
    Perez is more a #10 than #9 but I can see him linking well with De Jong
    I know Watford are no push overs but we should be set up to attack from the off

• 3 magscar // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:14 PM

last thread – if you are keeping score can my contribution although not especially on point be counted making it 3-2 or 2-3 whatever 🙂

On Carr I made some points on him last night but attracted no fire whatsoever. Hadn’t realised I was so last year with all “the new kids on the blog”

• 4 Tsunki // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:14 PM

I’d have preferred less captain’s rallying cries and coaches not good enough shouts and a bit more silence and get a with it.

• 5 WWSBRD // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Haidara
    Wini Sissoko Siem
    Thuavin Cisse Perez

• 6 magscar // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Anyway having abused my coffee break am off for now.

• 7 Llort muw // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I really think the team that has to start is obvious.

——————-De Jong

This attack has flair, pace and creativity, everything we didn’t have against West Ham. Was it really surprising that we played much better when Perez and De Jong came on? No, they are intelligent players that are needed desperately in our lacklustre team.

• 8 bettyswallocks // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM

We may need to use Rivière up front between now and January . At least he has som pace and strength and can link up maybe with Perez and DeJong. I know he can’t score but in the current setup he will contribute more than Cisse.

• 9 Munster Mag // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Initial reaction – No. Ed, Moussa cant tackel his dinner for goodness sake. He doesnt tackle. He is a conundrum. I called him a fraud long before the critics here ganged up on him and i still maintain that.

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Perez———De Jong———-Aarons

No more 4-3-2-1 please. Lets just try a 4-3-3 and tweak it as we move along. De Jong can play as a false #9 and Gini can play more advanced.

Aarons as a winger and Perez as an inside forward.

• 11 Munster Mag // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Llort, i was just typing that team myself. I would also consider the much maligned 442. Same back 4.
    Thauvin Anita Wini Aarons
    Cisse Perez
    I remain to be convinced re De Jong, but would give him a chance in your set up. Only problem with your team is having 2 wingers and a centre forward who is small but i still like it.

• 12 toon-to-win // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:35 PM

I think they should go for an attacking 4-5-1 with one holding midfield player, and 4 midfielders in front constantly looking to support the man up top.

Janmaat. Mbemba. Lascelles. Haidara

……… jong. Sissoko. Wijnuldum

Thauvin Aarons

Ultimately it be best for a target man up front But with cisse looking very poor and not taking risks or expecting defenders to make mistakes i feel hes better out of the squad. potentially id stick gini upfront as we know he can finish and head a ball, and stick perez out wide and possible try thauvin in centre where he may show his ability with defense splitting balls

• 13 Bri // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:35 PM

toon-prodigy (last thread 58)
    Spot on,agree,with everything from that post.

• 14 toon1707 // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM

De Jong and Perez in for Anita and cisse will be a good start Also If reports are true and Cisse Did not turn up for his meeting and turning up late for training How can McClaren justify starting him against West Ham

• 15 toon kk // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM

S mc will put the same starting eleven out at Watford as he did at West Ham, you can bet on it.

• 16 Munster Mag // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM

WWSBRD, dont like that . I want Wini central, and dont want Siem out wide. Sissoko has neither the footballing brain nor the tackling ability to be a good central midfielder.

• 17 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM

That’s the starting line-up I’d have too Jesper.

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Munster, I’m quite sure Ashley took a back seat because he finally realised running a football club is nothing like retail. That said, he is still Ashley and is known to be ruthless. He’s given the board money and a free reign to spend it, providing it’s spent wisely. I have no doubt that if the board fail, they will be ousted double quick. I imagine the conversation went something like ‘you’re football experts and Chumlee is the financial brains. There’s the money, you give me a successful side with value for money or you follow Carver down the road. No excuses.’ 🙂 I don’t think he’ll accept failure, although the past tells us he’ll give them time to succeed. And let’s be fair, failure isn’t an option when you get to spend the sort of money that’s been mentioned – 150m over three windows. If the board do fail, long contracts won’t help anybody. We’ve seen that these players can play pass and move football and god only knows where that went on monday night. Hopefully just one of those days. Watford will tell us a lot.

• 19 Llort muw // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Yeah the height is a problem but who else do we have? I mean I guess we could switch Thauvin for Obertan but who would actually think that was a good idea? Lol.

In my opinion Wijnaldum has to play deeper, he is clearly an intelligent player but at the moment he is being wasted because no one on our team can find him. In a deeper role he has more of an impact on the game, with capable passers like De Jong and Anita beside him I’m pretty sure they won’t have a problem finding our attacking players. Which we always struggle to do.

I think we can all agree that one up top is not working and hasn’t for a very long time.

• 20 Ibizatoon // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Bobby (from previous thread)…I’d like to think you and I, and anyone else who wishes, can continue to debate without it being considered a form of bullying.

I’d also like to think you’d point out if I was rude or unreasomable, as I have done when I think you have. It’s communication for me, nothing more, nothing less.

I’m not going to jump in to the numbers you’ve supplied, as no, I wasn’t there personally. I have seen other accounts which differ from yours, and with all due respect, they’re from people who I have come to trust over time.

I’d perhaps focus on another aspect. If the ‘genuine fans’ would entertain the idea for a minute that we can actually do something to bring change, things could be easier and less extreme?

I know and have spoken with people who attended the rallies. I’d consider them genuine toon fans with their hearts in the right place. You appear to have tarred the majority of them with the same brush, which is basically miserable people looking for a ruck.

Can you tell me some of the misinformation they were giving out?

• 21 Ibizatoon // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Magscar…I left a response for you on the previous thread if you can be bothered when you’re next about.

• 22 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

My team
    anything but 1 up front – because we don’t have the players to play a lone striker role.
    I’d go
    Janmaat, Mbemba, Colo, Haidara
    Anita – defensive midfielder
    Sissoko, Gini, – free role
    Perez – attacking midfielder
    De Jong, Cisse – up top

• 23 bettyswallocks // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

I hope Mc. Has learnt something from our woeful display on Monday and changes it.

We can’t play with 6 defenders and an isolated grinning buffoon up front , who doesn’t want to be there.

If we look ineffective against Watford then Schteve will start to get criticised and the negative downward spiral will begin.

• 24 WWSBRD // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I dont have either Wini or Siem out wide

As for Sissoko we bought him as a CM, time for him to show up in that position or sit on the bench

• 25 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I would have Cabella is the starting line-up!!

• 26 WeNeedAnotherHero // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM

We have to change formation! 4231 is too bloody rigid! Useless up front.

• 27 Ibizatoon // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Essex…Good shout. Let’s play Santon too, so they can work the left handside together.

• 28 Llort muw // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

This is Perez’s big chance to show McClaren what he can do, we’ve all seen it, but it seems McClaren is reluctant on starting youth upfront. Every time Perez plays he looks a class above the rest and I really don’t get what he has to do to start.

• 29 Bobbybee // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

My team, for what it’s worth – although I doubt it will happen – would be

Janmaat, Mbemba, Collo, Haidarra

Thauvin. Sissoko. Aarons

Perez. De Jong.

No need for two holding midfielders at home to Watford imo.

• 30 Munster Mag // Sep 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Bobby I havent seen as much as you of the lads this season. My concern is that he is teaching us how to hold on to the ball ( fine in theory ) but its dull and conservative. We are not creating chances and have created very few in all the games so far. I was optimstic, but I believe firmly that managers set out teams with a philosophy ( sorry to sound like van gaal, although he is a classic example ) and do far his philosophy isnt a good one. Hoping for best. If there isnt a serious reaction in terms of how he sets up his team, and how the players attack the opposition, all bets are off on this guy. EWe didnt create one chance v Arsenal , but you can be assured that if Leicester etc were down to 10 men v Arsenal, they would “give it a go” . We probably should have lost to a fairly tame Southampton too – a shadow of last years team. A bit concerned to be honest. My best mate id a Forest fan and he says that whilst SMC was treated a bit harshley, the football was not good there either – defensive again. I think he also had a low scoring team at Twente ? Not certain re this.

• 31 Malta Mag // Sep 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Janmaat. Mbemba. Colocini. Haidara

Thauvin. Aaron’s

DeJong. Perez

• 32 Menelauos // Sep 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM

I said it before I’ll say it again justa incase Macca sees it ;). The forward is to isolated atm, especially for a poacher like Cisse, he offers nothing around the pitch, but get him in and around the box and he can get it in the net. My favourite 11 for this season is 4-3-3 and with a hopefully in form and fit Tiote.

De Jong could come in for Sissoko, Aarons/Thauvin/Perez/Obertan gives good wing rotation, a lot of good rotation everywhere tbh.

• 33 juan // Sep 16, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Colback Anita & Cisse must be dropped. The reason is they’re shit.

• 34 jimnufc // Sep 16, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Perez–De Jong- Aaron’s

maybe this would work i dont think colo is up to it

• 35 Marty-Toon // Sep 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Glad to see most people choosing to drop Colback as he’s been absolutely dreadful so far.
    Stats showed he won the ball off the Hammers 6times in 90 bloody minutes,that’s just terrible for a DM.
    Sissoko in there with Anita(I actually don’t like that we use 2 of our 10 outfield players in DM) but probably should only gave 1DM so that we’ve got several options to pass to ahead of the defensive midfielder.

• 36 James RS // Sep 16, 2015 at 10:56 PM

You won’t win with Cisse and Anita in the side.
    Bring in Perez and De Jong or I’d even prefer Tiote to Anita; he’s too lightweight and doesn’t give us a cutting edge or any creativity. Aarons should also be given a chance.

• 37 James RS // Sep 16, 2015 at 11:06 PM

Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini Haidara
    Aarons Sissoko Colback Thauvin (or Obertan)
    De Jong or Wijnaldum
    Perez or Mitrovic
    Please NO Anita or Cisse need 2 wingers and bring Sissoko into middle for Anita

• 38 The Vicar // Sep 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Haidara
    Anita Colback
    De Jong Wjinaldum Aarons

Sissoko – no brain an gives the ball away pretty much all the time
    Cisse – disinterested
    Neither should play for us again.

• 39 dannitoon // Sep 17, 2015 at 4:23 AM

• 40 dannitoon // Sep 17, 2015 at 4:25 AM

• 41 Turks Head // Sep 17, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Really cant see why you have De Jong out on the wing, and Thauvin has played 2 games in the prem so you expect him to be dropped? thank god you arent the manager Ed youd pretty much be another pardew with square pegs in round holes, simple line up change is needed.

Janmaat Mbemba Colocinni Haidara
    Sissoko Wijnaldum Anita Thauvin
    De Jong

That is the best team at this moment in time out of whats available, you could put Aarons in there for Sissoko as at the moment he is very suspect, Colback has had a bad start in his first 5 games, Anita seems to have an idea of what is needed of him and with Gini alongside him he would offer the link to the attack with anita playing the short balls, De Jong can attempt to show if hes capable of killer passes etc in the prem and he needs the start more then anybody else since he is probably one of the highest earners yet we dont really know what hes made of in an NUFC shirt. Perez up top is a given but him and De Jong should play off of eachother to prevent any isolation problems.

my line up is pretty straightforward but Jesus Christ Ed you have seen too many Pardew games.

previous post: A Frustrated Coloccini Issues Rallying Cry To Players