The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Make Two Top Ten Lists In Europe

2:34 pm, Thursday, September 17th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

There´s a good piece in the Chronicle today that shows that Newcastle had the tenth highest attendance of all clubs in Europe last season, even though we were fighting relegation over the last three months of the season.

And we also had the 9th highest net spend of all clubs in Europe over this summer´s transfer window.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Newcastle United v Everton - St James' Park

St. James’ Park at night (vs Everton)

As far as the attendances in Europe, these were the top ten clubs in Europe with the highest average attendances – taken from the Chronicle report:

1. Borussia Dortmund – total fans 1.367M – Average: 80,463
  2. Barcelona – total fans 1.475M – Average 77,632
  3. Manchester United – total fans 1.431M – Average: 75,335
  4. Real Madrid – total fans 1.388m – Average: 73.081
  5. Bayern Munich – total fans 1.239m – Average: 72,882
  6. Schalke 04 – total fans 1.046m – Average: 61,578
  7. Arsenal – total fans 1.079m – Average: 59,992
  8. Hamburg – total fans 905,278 – Average: 53,252
  9. Marseille – total fans: 1.005m – Average 52,917
  10. Newcastle total fans: 956,823 – Average 50,359

Newcastle will have trouble repeating this in the future, as five clubs in England are expanding the capacity of their stadiums, to more than that of  St James Park, which is 52,405.

These are those English clubs:

• Manchester City – 61,000
  • Tottenham – 61,000
  • Chelsea – 60,000
  • Liverpool – 59,000
  • West Ham – 54,000

Newcastle did have initial plans some years ago to increase the capacity at St. James’ Park to 60,000, but since Mike Ashley came in – we never hear about that once planned expansion.

Note that above there are four German clubs in the top ten, and they always have great attendances plus some massive stadiums – look at that figure for Borussia Dortmund – and they like Newcastle fought against relegation for a while last season – although they ended up in 7th place.

Newcastle were 9th in net spending over the summer transfer window, and here´s that list:

1. Manchester City – £101.3M
  2. Valencia – £63.4M
  3. Milan – £60.9M
  4. Paris Saint-Germain – £60M
  5. Atletico Madrid – £46.8M
  6. Manchester United – £43.4M
  7. Real Madrid – £42.9M
  8. Juventus – £42.9M
  9. Newcastle United – £42M
  10. Bayern Munich – £40M

We could have been in 5th position if they had used the net spending figure that Lee Charnley put out – which was £52.6M.

So we are starting to show up in some top ten lists for European clubs these days.

Let´s hope we make another top ten list by next May – top ten in the Premier League.

A number of Newcastle fans are now just a little bit worried,  because of the (very) poor start we have made to the season, especially when it comes straight after the disasters of last season.

It´s never been easy supporting Newcastle United over the years.

Tags: Attendance · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 BandB // Sep 17, 2015 at 2:37 PM

I agree with you completely that last season’s relegation-haunted squad isn’t going to be turned into top eight contenders in a single window and 10 games under a new coaching regime.
    I’m also surprised that it now goes without saying that last season’s squad was diabolical, as that view was far from unanimous at the time.
    I think people are “panicking” because they think we look off the pace for a top eight finish and a cup, and on that timetable, a turnaround sooner rather than later would be required.
    That’s why I would like the club to admit that “top eight and a cup” was probably a slight bit of over-marketing for this season, and that Colocinni has given a fair assessment of where we stand right now.

• 2 BandB // Sep 17, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I’ll clarify “diabolical” to “unfit, under-skilled, and overstretched.”

• 3 Mister Tuff // Sep 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Ibiza – you must be a crap host if guests are coming around. You need to get yourself on a cookery course so you have the knowledge to cook some dishes correctly – obviously though after purchasing the correct ingredients.

• 4 Bobbybee // Sep 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM

BandB, I’m with you on the 8th place, but then, I was never sure as to when that was meant to apply! This season? Next? Three years? 🙂 If it is this, then that needs to be reassessed imo. I see it as a complete rebuild from years of neglect – or ‘stabalising’ 🙂 The rebuild has started and where it takes us depends on who we bring in. Don’t expect anything more than a shot at the cups this season tbh. Then again, if we spend wisely in January you just never know. Interesting times if nothing else.

• 5 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:02 PM

I don’t think last seasons squad was anything like diabolical, much less that it now goes without saying. The injury list was diabolical, certainly. Cabella and Rivierre, proved two diabolical duds. That’s true. We lost a decent coach and replaced him with a diabolical one, unquestionably. We garnered some diabolical suspensions, without a doubt. The decision to loan and ultimately sell Santon quite diabolical. But we had a decent squad of players overall, and have a better group now, you’d surely imagine, after having spent 50 million. I still think this is potentially a top eight squad, we have some terrific players.

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM

No tomatoes in a traditional Spanish omelette? I dont think Ibiza or his lass knew that. I better tell wor lass. Well at least Ibiza got some tomatoes on his shopping trip and managed to give his mother in law a tomato sandwich.

• 7 BandB // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I’m not sure it was a promise for this season either. Has anyone seen it stated in an official statement or in quotations?
    All the same, plenty of people seem to believe that is the aim, and that has been cause of a lot of high hopes.
    Maybe Colocinni did us all a favour in giving us a taste of the inside line on where we stand relative to the rest of the league for the time being?
    I would be in for the long haul if I was convinced we were definitely on red and amber, and not back to amber.

• 8 Bobbybee // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Jimmy, I think last season was a monumental failure for the club all round, but it appears to have spurred them into action, so silver linings and all that. My major concern has always been the psychological damage last season inflicted on young players, more than their ability, or possible lack of it. It might take a while for them to get over last season, which is why I’m hoping for virtually a new first eleven from the one that finished last
    season, when we start next. The good thing is that they’re mainly young and should bounce back.

• 9 hibbit // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:14 PM

jimmy we are no were near a top 8 team did you not watch mondays game we cannot defend and cannot score you need to win games to be at that end of the table

• 10 Magpie Season // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:19 PM

The attendance figures can be misleading.

The EPL fixtures are congested. More games in shorter time frame. No end of year break as well, as it goes into overdrive.

Also, way more midweek games than Bundesliga. & Monday night matches, as opposed to Friday nights in Germany.

Lastly, the main one in my opinion… ticket prices. Much cheaper in Germany.

• 11 BandB // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I’m not making the case that everything that went before was the bad old days and that this season’s modest beginning represents a total rebuild from scratch in a new era.
    I’m just reflecting a common enough view. Is calling them a relegation-haunted squad unfair?
    I corrected diabolical to unfit, under-skilled and overstretched. I think they proved to be just that from Christmas onwards?
    Every season will have injuries and suspensions, including this one.

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:24 PM

BandB, it was, and still is, confusing. I always took it as once he’s got his team in place, but it never was spelt out clearly. I’ve no idea why, but I just ‘feel’ we’ve turned a massive corner and things are on the up. Obviously not results right now, but just a gentle buzz around the place. A couple of good results and surge in confidence can make a huge difference on and off the field.

• 13 Magpie Season // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:29 PM

I don’t think Ashley will spend in January mate. Unless were are already in the top half & reached the final stages of the league cup before the window.

One thing Jamie Carragher said was that Ashley will be looking at our performances & recent form (even the Man Utd match, we won 1-0 2 seasons ago when only spent 2 mil for remy on loan). & Ashely will be thinking “I’ve spent all this money & nothing has changed.Not too much difference in spending all this money than not spending the money.”

So my guess is he won’t cough up come January unless we are 5th & above by then. Like I mentinoed, Pardew gave us much better starts in 2 of his seasons having spent very little.

• 14 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM

I think things are also on the up, but he doesn’t know his best team, or hasn’t had the opportunity to play it, and Mitrovic, Cisse and Tiote are a problem for him.

• 15 hibbit // Sep 17, 2015 at 3:32 PM

bobby its getting that win that’s going to be hard we don’t look like scoring and the way were setup is way to defencive Mc knows how poor our back 4 are thats why he is playing 2 dm

• 16 the truth will out // Sep 17, 2015 at 4:47 PM