The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Press Conference – Three Players In Contention

3:34 pm, Friday, September 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Steve McClaren has completed his press conference today for the game at home to Watford tomorrow, and the main news is that he has mentioned three players who are under consideration to start tomorrow.

The three players are Ayoze Perez, Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons and we have all three in our team for tomorrow – with Papiss Cisse, Vurnon Anita and Florian Thauvin dropping down to the bench.

steve mcclaren 9-14

Steve McClarenvery very disappointed with the result and performance

All three players came on as subs in the second half at West Ham and did themselves no harm at all, and they are good players and deserve their chance.

Herre´s some of what Steve McClaren has said in his press conference at Benton:

“I’m absolutely tempted to make changes.” “The reaction to the second goal was the biggest disappointment.” “I was very, very disappointed with the result and especially the performance.”

“Reaction? We’ll see tomorrow. Everyone expects one. It’s an opportunity and a challenge for players. Every performance is important.” “We knew it would be a tough start.”

“It takes time with new players and sometimes you can take a step forward and two steps back.” “I think the key was how we reacted after the second goal.”

That was the biggest disappointment until Ayoze, Siem and Rolando came on.”  “We were very disappointed with the result at West Ham.”

Generally, the attitude has been spot on. Then we got to Monday.”  “We’ve had unbelievable atmospheres at St. James’ Park against Southampton and Arsenal. We need that again tomorrow.”

“Watford are buoyant. It’s going to be a true test for us but our attitude and our start are key. We need to progress and create more.”

Watford will certainly be a challenge and they will be upbeat after their great 1-0 win at home to Swansea last Saturday.

Newcastle players need to show what they can do tomorrow, and this is the first real test of Steve McClaren´s coaching ability and motivational skills.

We really hope we can get all 3 points tomorrow – that will help relieve the anxiety of Newcastle fans at the moment.

Almost three in five fans think we can win this game.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press Conference

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:41 PM

So, how will Watford play? How will they set up?

I’ll bet 100 pounds in my favourite charity – joking 🙂 that they will be ultradefensive, looking to hit us on the counter. We’ll pour numbers up front, looking to score and placate the masses.

Maybe we ain’t ready for that. Maybe we should do the same, let them come at us, while WE hit them on the counter. Lull them into thinking we are afraid of them (of course we aren’t), then pick them apart.

Anyway, voted for a defeat in the previous game. This one? We’ll win it. Just.

• 2 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:45 PM

I think the main problem is very obvious! They have once again under cooked it (in the transfer window)

• 3 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Cyprus…I think they’ll pile the pressure on our defense and run circles around our midfield 😉

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Is the pole a reflection on how people think we will do or how they hope we’ll do?

• 5 sparky55 // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM

when the fixture list came out I put us down for 8 points from 8 games.

If we don’t win tomorrow we’ll be lucky to get 5 points from our first 8 games.

Thauvin and Cisse and Anita do all deserve to be dropped…thauvin looked very slow and disinterested, Cisse was offside before he stepped on the pitch and Anita was simply off the pace and there was no connect between defence and attack on Monday…we need to go all out tomorrow and put Watford on the back foot from the get go and we need to score early…pretty please!!!

• 6 cyprus // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Jesper
    Don’t you worry. We’ll be too much for them 🙂

• 7 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Hey guys back out of hospital again, Hope we are all well. Hopefully we’ll get three points tomorrow but after Monday nights sham we need to ditch the 4-2-3-1 formation because its not working.

Big up to the Hairy Bikers who asked the Russian Oligarch to buy Newcastle United to get rid of “the idiot we have” on Tuesday night.

• 8 toon kk // Sep 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Spineless soft french player’s in to physical of a league. Far too much money wasted on slow unproven young players, brought in with resale in mind, its been going on for years.
    A child could see what was going to happen.

• 9 Oldgit1 // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM

@ take a chancel I saw the program as well, it was a nice try by the hairy bikers to get them to buy us. Was well chuffed until the guy said no. Bummer lol

• 10 croftus5678 // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM

well…out of those players injured i’d say

tiote
    saylor
    williamson
    good
    riviere
    marvaux

need to be let go of anyways and put goofy/obertan in there also.

dummett and darlow are the only players of use there and thats only for backup.

• 11 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:04 PM

lol oldgit no interest in football lol

• 12 hibbit // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:04 PM

jesper,,,,wishful thinking maybe,,…….what happens if we don’t win the mood will change very quickly so many fans think this is a walk in the park it could be a banana skin…….this is the game Mc must win to keep the fans onside

• 13 croftus5678 // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:12 PM

@12 hibbit

we lack confidence so will be good to see how we do in a “must win” game for us !

your very correct its the same for watford and theres no better time for them to play us in our current form leaking goals and not able to score so they will have the same attitude.

will the hard workrate of watford beat the prem quality we feel we have in our team ? we will find out tomoz how much “quality” i supposed to count for or if we would be better off with workers.

• 14 Tinman // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM

I would love it if you checked out my new blog, and let me know what you think.
    It is only a few days old so doesn’t have much content on there yet.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Toon-Prodigy
    The wage structure seems to be okay for international players of the likes of Colo, Sissoko, Cabaye, Remy, Ba, Mitrovic etc. You would like your recruitment team to spot emerging talent. Old Mr Carr must think he’s done that with Ivan Toney. But if this lad is like nearly every other such signing, he’ll disappear into obscurity. Think about Chucky, Bigi, Kemen, Good, Abeid, Vuckic, Cabella, Mbiwa, Gouffy … Okay, Haidara is getting a place but god knows how … only in the absence of any alternative, which is negligent. Krul, yes. Perez, yes.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Some wont appreciate me “going there”, but saw this and it did make me chuckle.

Anyone want a guess at who this quote is from?

“I can cope with winning 3-2, 4-3, 5-4. The bottom line is I want this team to think about scoring goals.”

• 17 toon kk // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Croftus
    your right when you say Watford and there hard work rate, I agree we have some quality players which definitely don’t give 100%,but they’re not premier league quality, maybe in the French league they’d be very useful , well useful.

• 18 lukes26 // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Meh, Newcastle bring just as many young players through as other top level EPL teams

I dont think Liverpool has anyone in contention of a starting spot, besides Rossiter, who came through their academy.

Man U have the best youth recruitment in the uk, and they don’t have any amazing current young players who came through their system

• 19 Tinman // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Ibiza,

Sounds like a Pardew saying to me?

• 20 cyprus // Sep 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Tin
    Congratulations for your site. Very clean, easy to navigate. Interesting content. Can one contribute anonymously?
    Maybe it’s too early to announce the decline of the PL? Of course we mistakenly think this league is far superior. Most leagues are international ones rather than national really. Here in Cyprus you hardly see a Greek name in the bigger teams.

Result? An improving national team. Go figure

• 21 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:01 PM

As I recall last season Colback got into the opponents box quite a bit and scored a few goals. He’s not suited to his current role. Surely McLaren has noticed? Tiote is injured again as usual. He’s just collecting his pay packet now as with so many others. Very disappointing efforts so far. Cisse looks completely disinterested as well. This system will not work as it is being played. The defense is weak and there is no attack as many of has said for years now

• 22 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM

It looks decent Tinman.

• 23 Tinman // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM

cyprus,
    You could contribute under a pseudonym, for example cyprus. Of course I don’t believe the PL is ruined, I do clear that up in the conclusion. Thanks for reading 🙂

GeordieTwo,
    Thanks a lot

• 24 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM

I would play 4-3-3 against Watford. At least it would be more entertaining and possibly we might even win! 😯 Put Aarons, Perez and Sissoko up front with Wij, De Jong, and Obertan (shudder, but at least he has pace) across the midfield. No Anita please.

• 25 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM

And if we lose, fong McLaren for the sweet baby Jesus….

• 26 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Your welcome Tinman. I’ll pop in and cause havoc now and then mate.

• 27 Mag52 // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Ibizatoon.

If it was a quote from AP, his team down south are certainly scoring a few more than ours are.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Spare the fongbat and spoil the management group I always say.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Ibiza mate the suspense is killing me again. Who was that quote from???

• 30 beermonkey // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:14 PM

take a chancel

how are you glad ur out of hospital

• 31 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:20 PM

What’s happened to Toon From Leeds? Haven’t seen him on here in a while. Hope he’s all right.

• 32 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Lukes26
    Aarons is a prospect I forgot to mention. But it’s small wonder I forgot. His flash fancy footwork in the reserves hasn’t sufficiently impressed his managers. Young Fergie must’ve played more first team minutes I reckon. I remember a similar clamour from fans who saw him as the answer. I saw him two or three weeks ago on a Sunday evening cutting a forlorn figure at Newcastle Central Station. I can’t remember where he’s plying his trade now.

• 33 barkel // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM

ah lads, a bit of punctuation here and there would be a treat!

• 34 magscar // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:24 PM

I believe he evolved into “Take a Chancel On me” see7 above

• 35 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Is that you TFL, now Take a Chancel on me mate? Well I’ll be hornswoggled. How have you been? I hope you’re not offended by my comments about Leeds. I haven’t been there for over 40 years . Ta magscar by the way.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Why are my comments awaiting moderation???

• 37 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:37 PM

A sad state of affairs when a man can’t have a chat with his mates….Harrumph!

• 38 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Could we please just play a decent attacking game for once and leave the whingers and slackers oot of the lineup???

• 39 Ibizatoon // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Indeed it was Senor Pardew. No real opinion attached to it – it did make me chuckle though.

A funny old world we live in.

• 40 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Ta Ibiza. I suspected that was the case. What was our goal difference with him again? I don’t remember winning many 5-4 or 4-3 games and we had a goal difference in the -60’s I believe. It wasn’t the reverse clean sheet method of McLaren. Looking at Palace under Pardew makes me ill to be honest (notice that use of to be honest together with Pardew, hee hee). Their owner makes ours look even more pathetic than I thought possible.

• 41 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:45 PM

It is a funny old world Ibiza mate. Wait til we play Palace. All out total football of McLaren vs win by a goal approach of Percy…..

• 42 jamesnufc86 // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Don’t know if this has already been mentioned but all those that are Newcastle United members Coral have just given me an email giving me and all members 10/1 odds on Newcastle beating Watford max bet £5, got to be worth a punt, nice little £45 for your weekend

• 43 mactoon // Sep 18, 2015 at 5:54 PM

I wouldn’t drop Thauvin but I would change the formation to 4-4-2 and play Cisse and Perez up front. And I would consider playing Sissoko out wide and bringing in Wijnaldum to centre midfield

previous post: Two More Injuries Picked Up By Newcastle