The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Pundit Forecasts Big Surprise For Newcastle

10:27 pm, Friday, September 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 65 Comments

Former Spurs manager Harry Redknapp – the pundit – is forecasting that Watford could shock Newcastle at St. James’ Park tomorrow afternoon and he wouldn´t be too surprised to see Newcastle lose to the newly promoted side.

Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren held his news conference this afternoon for the game and compared Monday night´s poor display and 2-0 defeat at West Ham to a car crash – and is hoping for a big reaction from his players tomorrow.

Let´s hope we can get our first league win of the season and that should silence some of the critics. some of which have been going overboard with their criticism of Newcastle since Monday night´s game.

harry redknapp arrivbing copuirt

Harry Redknapp – Newcastle defeat would not be much of a shock

This is what Harry had to say today about the game tomorrow – which kicks off at 3:00 pm:

“Newcastle are low on confidence and I can see Watford getting something out of this, not sure it will be much of a shock if they win,”

Newcastle did put in a poor performance in London last Monday, and it is now up to our players to stand up and be counted and we expect a much improved performance tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully a win.

Let´s just say another defeat – which would be our third league defeat in a row since we drew 0-0 at Manchester United – would not be good.

We also expect McClaren to make some changes to the starting eleven – and this could be the Newcastle team for tomorrow´s game.

Krul
Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini (c) Haidara
Colback Sissoko
Wijnaldum de Jong Aarons
Perez
Subs: Elliot Lascelles Tiote Anita Obertan Thauvin Cisse

Karl Darlow twisted his ankle in training and is not available for the game,  so Rob Elliot will be on the bench.

Newcastle fans seem fairly confident we can get a win tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Prediction · Premier League · Press Conference

65 responses so far ↓

• 1 Thump // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM

So what’s the ‘big surprise’, Ed?

• 2 SUTTY1978 // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Yep, I wouldn’t be surprised. Never sure how Ed is so eternally optimistic and stunned at anyone saying Newcastle are crap!
    Watford have won 2 games, we’ve won none. Swansea cantered to a win against us, Watford beat them.
    The bigger surprise will be if we manage to scrape a win.

• 3 Tinman // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:34 PM

I think it will be an EXTREMELY tough game. 2-1 win if we get a bit of luck

• 4 Sliema // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:34 PM

The surprise is ed thinks we are the overwhelming favourites for the match tomorrow. I’m not feeling so confident. If they play like they did v Swansea or man city we could be in for a very tricky afternoon.

It’s all going to come down to whether Mclaren carries on our recent tradition of managers picking their favourites over in form players… or not.

• 5 firebug666 // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Repost

SUTTY1978

There has to be some changes if we are to progress, so far in the last five games nothing has worked as it should, if McClaren cannot see that then he is no good to us either.

I totally agree, on Anita / Colback neither have been good so far. play either one or the other, or neither. Drop Wijnaldum back and bring in de Jong.

I would like to see us be more adventurous, and go for an all out attack (just for variety).

Krul

Janmaat……Mbemba……..Toonbrother’s best pal……Haidara

Sissoko………..Wijnaldum…………Thauvin

Perez………….de Jong………….Aarons

We know we will concede goals, so maybe we should try going with the Keegan philosophy of scoring more than the opposition, after all it’s points that matter.

• 6 stan anderson // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:40 PM

I must agree with Harry as we are shite as we were last season.

• 7 Ravostag // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:55 PM

We dont need arry cockney rednapp to state the obvious

• 8 SUTTY1978 // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Firebug, same front 6 I put on mine, as I said with those players they can swap around so the formation is almost irrelevant if they have been coached well to play together, cover for one another and attack as a unit.
    I predicted the solitary forced change last time with Cisse replacing Mitro. If he follows the Pardew blueprint as he has so far then there will be another solitary change which will probably involve the “trusted” obertan starting. Oooh cant wait.

• 9 beermonkey // Sep 18, 2015 at 10:58 PM

seen a few comments on cisse has he really spat the dummy and turning up for training late and other stuff
    or is it all hear say

• 10 SUTTY1978 // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:00 PM

The fan positivity towards McClaren is seriously waning, can see a fissure opening if we have another defeat without scoring tomorrow. Think theres only Jib and IanToon that are still 100% behind him.

• 11 firebug666 // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:06 PM

SUTTY1978

That front six gives powerful runners from midfield who can bring the ball out, and the trickery and pace of Aarons and Perez combined with the vision of de Jong.

As you say they can be fluid in positions, and attacking as a unit, with the midfield three dropping back into defence when under pressure, the pace of Perez and Aarons should be enough to keep their full backs busy, and providing they all don’t drop back too deep then their wide players would have to stay back to watch them.

Their are a lot of possibilities in that 4-3-3, but I doubt we will ever see it under McClaren.

• 12 toon kk // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Watfords hunger and determination will be too much for our lacklustre bunch of flops.
    most aren’t fit to wear a black and white shirt.

• 13 Patoon // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Def hav to do away with this 4231 crap and stop playing sissoko, massively overrated, colback should b dropped too, I’d play a 442 with my lineup like this
    ___________Krul_________
    Janmaat Colo Mbemba Haidara
    ___________Anita________
    thauvin__Wijnaldum___Aarons
    ______De Jong___________
    _______________Perez____

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:17 PM

It’s more or less the team I would pick beside:

a) Anita instead of Colback, and

b) no more 4-2-3-1

So Macca has two hurtles it seems:

1) picking the right players for the game, and

2) choosing the right setup / formation (style)

He does seem he’s lacking in certain departments…I’ll give him 12 games in total to convince me that he actually got something!

• 15 Toon Tang // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Ed, if I wanted to look at an old man that’s had his face melted off, I’d douse myself with acid and look in the mirror..

• 16 Toon Tang // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Automatic face recognition software should become compulsory for occasions like this. Start with ‘Arry and then move on to Chris Smalling and Flanagan..

• 17 stan anderson // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Seems like we are falling out of love with Mclaren already.
    He should never have got the job in the 1st place.
    He is a better talker than Carver mind,but so is anyone still breathing.

• 18 Tsunki // Sep 18, 2015 at 11:53 PM

McLaren can only work with the tools provided We shouldn’t blame the workman in this case because these tools really are a bit shoddy. Cheap and not so cheerful.

• 19 NewcastleMole // Sep 19, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Watford have created almost double (47) the chances we have created (25) so far.

They keep possession (49%) slightly better than us (44%)

The rest of the stats are pretty much even. Its clear we have to create more chances.

Anita & Colback as a center pairing dont fill me with confidence. And as an opposition i wouldn’t be scared or worried one bit by them. For all their work rate and high passing accuracy they don’t own the middle of the park. It wasnt that long ago we were playing Cabaye & Tiote, one had the bite the other had the technical ability.

Every game we’ve played this season they’ve lost the midfield duel. Swansea was the best example – Shelvey & Cork dominated them. Man U was the only time they did okay.

Theres problems all over the pitch up front being #1.

• 20 SPRINGY // Sep 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM

newcastle mole
    its nowhere near as easy some believe its goin to be and al not be surprised if we get beat if the team have the same thoughts as what people are sayin on here….4-1 and 3-1…i hope they win like that but i’d be surprised

• 21 Blofal // Sep 19, 2015 at 2:29 AM

NewcastleMole,

I agree. I think we are really missing Tiote at his prime. When he is on song he breaks down most opposition advances by himself.

So far this season we have played with both Anita and Colback and even combined they have not been able to do what Tiote used to do.

• 22 jimmysmith // Sep 19, 2015 at 3:41 AM

Harry can eat a D.

• 23 jimmysmith // Sep 19, 2015 at 3:56 AM

I agree, get Tiote in their alongside Widjnaldum, your talking 50% greater energy and dynamism. He’s not the same player you sold to Newcastle years ago Mac, bigger, better and more complete if you can get his head right, and could be the making of Widjnaldum who is clearly a player of the highest potential.

• 24 jimmysmith // Sep 19, 2015 at 4:15 AM

This is your team until Mitro is fit Steve, cos jimmmysmith said so.

…………………………….Krul

Janmaat………Mbemba……Colo……Haidarra

…………………Widjnaldum……..Tiote

Sissoko……………….Dejong………………Thauvin

…………………………..Perez

• 25 Reyantoon // Sep 19, 2015 at 4:18 AM

Some people are shouting for Aarons to start..
    But if i remember correctly, he was poor in league cup and in some of his PL sub cameos.
    He’s not the same Aarons since after that long lay off.No doubt he has talent and hope he can inspire the team to victories but atm,he is behind Thauvin interms of sharpness and contribution.I don’t think Sm need to change a lot in the starting lineup,perhaps one or two.
    It’s a big game 2morow,especially for McLaren.
    He needs to show he can win games comfortably.Otherwise,those sharpening their knives ‘re waiting on the wings to strike his back
    However,he currently is working with the players already scouted & provided by previous board.I don’t think he ever knows which players are going to come.Let’s hope he comes good and succeed,starting today.At the moment,his record after 5 games is worse than last season!!

• 26 Reyantoon // Sep 19, 2015 at 4:33 AM

Jimmy….that is a cracking lineup 🙂

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 5:45 AM

In previous seasons Ashley has been blamed by some and Pardew others for us being shite, we have now spent a few quid and have a supposedly better manager and are still shite. There must be something fundamentally wrong with club that no body can see on the surface.

• 28 runheed // Sep 19, 2015 at 5:58 AM

Hi everyone,
    Brilliant link …
    …. too intelligent for us I fear.

• 29 Laurent Robert The Legend // Sep 19, 2015 at 6:15 AM

442/4411 is the only way to get something out of the game.451 is clearly not working.
    Krul
    Janmaat mbemba colo heidarra
    Colback
    Thauvin aarons/obertan
    Sissoko
    Seim
    Perez

• 30 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 19, 2015 at 6:40 AM

I’d for a 2-2 draw with a late equaliser for us.

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Tsunki…now I don’t think it’s the players or our fault mother nature didn’t provide Macca with better tools to work with 🙂

• 32 cyprus // Sep 19, 2015 at 6:52 AM

I agree with the above that it doesn’t matter that Ed thinks we are overwhelming favourites. It doesn’t even matter that I agree with him 🙂

What does matter is what the bookies think. They are cold, calculating, unbiased and their god is ‘green’. They rarely get it wrong: we are overwhelming favourites.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 6:54 AM

I think it’s fairly obvious we substituted one average manager for another average manager…it was not an upgrade!

…same mistakes being made even though good players were bought. There’s even a new backroom staff.

But that of course doesn’t mean surroundings are poisonous (they most likely are)

• 34 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 6:57 AM

*But that of course doesn’t mean the surroundings are not poisonous (they most likely are)

• 35 firebug666 // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:00 AM

cyprus

We may be the official overwhelming favourites according to the bookies, but this simple fact is irrefutable, we are the underwhelming performers.

On paper the team looks class, but unfortunately we don’t play on paper. This will be a very tough game today, every game will be tough, this is because every other team in the league tries.

• 36 sing in the corner // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Well ‘Arry..

Thanks for that indepth, searching analysis, as always. Pundits are just parasitic masters of the cliche / stating the bleeding obvious / popular opinion. Has beens desperately trying to be relevant.

• 37 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:04 AM

To paraphrase John Dean of Watergate fame: ‘There’s a cancer at the heart of the club.’ No prizes for guessing who it is!

• 38 sing in the corner // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:09 AM

The players and staff have had the rest of the week since Monday to work on how to put it right. I’m sticking with it and SM for now. We have got some decent players, it will click better when he finds the right blend and approach. And one thing’s for certain, Monday proved that that was certainly not the right formation. Hopefully he’s been kicking some ass this week and he’ll get the reaction he said he was looking for. Lets see…

• 39 cyprus // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:09 AM

Fire,
    As usual, agree with most of your points mate. This time, excepting the last sentence. Stats show that we are a hard working side. We just don’t use it properly, thus running out of steam before the end.

Like you said ‘underwhelming performers’. Not in terms of energy and trying, but in terms of showing some class.

We (fans, coaches and all the way up) have been trying to figure out what holds us back. I’m convinced no one has the answer because the blame is shared by a hundred people.

But, there is one irrefutable fact in football. Money buys success. Ask also runs City and Chelsea, etc. The problem is, however, money doesn’t guarantee success.

Conclusion! We’ll need the 3 windows.

• 40 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Players such as Thauvin and Nitro would be interesting additions to successful teams but I think they’re the wrong type of player for NUFC in its current plight. I don’t think the money has been well spent. I hope I’m wrong, of course!

• 41 cyprus // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:26 AM

How will the game pan out?

Well, if I were Watford I’d expect the opposition to attack wholeheartedly in order to silence the crowd and satisfy their manager. I’d try to hold out for the first 10 minutes and try to counter and maybe hit at their fragile confidence. I’d know that they don’t get too many chances when attacking and that they are there for the sucker punch!

Conclusion! If I were NUFC, I’d let THEM come at me. Yep. They wouldn’t know how because they’d have been training how to defend and counter all week! As they’d slowly get braver and braver I’d hit them on a couple counters myself. As they would risk more and more, I’d score a couple more just to deliver a hiding 😉

Ok Steve, there you go. This one’s on me 🙂

• 42 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:28 AM

cyprus
    Sounds like a cunning plan.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Ron…I don’t think problem are the players you mentioned, but what does it matter if you buy a few players when you are still in badly need of a CB, at prolific forward, a backup RB and someone to partner either Anita or Colback.

The team is so uneven and full of holes if you ask me.

And then top this with an average manager who like the manager before him seems to praise each window (just what we need again 😉 )

• 44 SUTTY1978 // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Cyprus, have you been watching some old Mohamed Ali fights? Sounds like the classic “rope a dope” tactics!

• 45 NezzaNUFC // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:42 AM

If Cisse starts ahead of Perez I think many would start to doubt SM as to picking favourites over form ( pretty much what Pardew did for 4.5 seasons )

Don’t expect Newcastle to win by a huge scoreline, Watford will be busting there guts and would take advantage against us to get a win.

My scoreline

( If Cisse starts – 1-1 )
    ( using 4231 lose 2-1 )
    ( Perez starts win 3-0 )

• 46 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:43 AM

jesper
    I think Thauvin and Nitro would be potentially good players for us, but not in the current setup. I agree with you on the rest.
    Is ‘uneven’ a polite way of saying sh*t?

• 47 NezzaNUFC // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:52 AM

SM need to test our young lads today

Aarons, SDJ, Thuavin
    Perez

Pace on the flanks with Siem taking charge, also I would try having Sissoko and Toite in midfield to add to strength and watch the opposition get muscled out ( and probably shit bricks going against them two )

• 48 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Sadly as it happened when Hull and Blackpool came up I can see it happening today. Watford beating us 2-0 scoring mid way through first half we will huff and puff have about 70% of the possession create absolute nothing – they break away and score a second late on.

Cannot see us picking up many points before the Transfer Window opens –
    As we cannot break defences down
    Do not have a creative midfielder that can open up defences
    Our forwards are to static and don’t make runs movement in and about the box.
    Mitrovic – don’t know – can we keep him on the pitch when he is playing
    and…
    we get caught time and time again on the counter attack

• 49 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:06 AM

I’d have Cisse starting today

• 50 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Our start to this season is rather similar to our insipid start to last season. We’ll probably look in bad shape after 10 games or so, end up with a few big scalps and decent results to pull us out of immediate danger with our saving grace in the second half of the season being the fact that there are at least 3 teams more shit than we are.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Gadzooks Charlie,
    That’s not like you, surely we’ll beat Watford today !

• 52 sing in the corner // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:09 AM

I hope the atmosphere in the ground isn’t as negative as the atmosphere on the blog this week. Its the duty of the players keep it fired up, but the crowd will back the team on the pitch if they show some spirit and application I’m sure.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Ruddy,
    Buenas diaz,
    On current form, there’s no body more shite than us though !

• 54 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Jail
    Beat me to it!

• 55 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Jail
    hope I’m wrong but after Monday nights game and the chances we have created can you see us scoring…..

• 56 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Now is the time for McClaren to be more positive and enlightened with his team selection and tactics. Nobody in their right mind could argue that the West Ham debacle was simply down to the players still coming to terms with his methods and game plan. It was just a shambles. If we see more of the same against Watford then it’s the beginning of the end for the Wally I predict. I do think we have a crap squad thanks to Carr and Charnley, so it’s even more crucial that we have a manager who can turn out a side which is more than the sum of its parts. If Anita, Colback and Cisse start I think McClaren is going to look like a dead man walking.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:16 AM

sitc,
    I think it will be the polar opposite, I think the crowd will be getting right behind them, however if things don’t go well and the same formation has been chosen with late substitutes then I can see all that energy getting directed elsewhere. After what we’ve been through this last four years I can’t see Mclaren being given as much time as the Pardew bought himself with, firstly that 3-1 win and then that fifth place finish.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Buenos diaz

• 59 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Hola Jail! Long time no speak.

On current form we are indeed the worst team in the league. I actually watched Sunderland v Spurs last weekend and they were well worth at least a point, and should of actually won the game had Defoe put away the first half sitter.

If Advocaat succeeds in instilling some spirit into that spineless side we may be in trouble. I can see Cisse getting among (some) goals this season again and hauling us out of the mire though – business as usual.

• 60 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Jail
    I can’t see McClaren wanting to cling on like Percy and Carver.

• 61 sing in the corner // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Hopefully buenas tardes at 5pm Jail

• 62 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM

We should be dispatching of Watford with ease. They are going to struggle this season – a disjointed team, recently appointed a new manager and are only newly promoted. They don’t have a goalscorer proven at this level so it is hard to see where their goals will come from.

If we lose this one then early season panic may well set in.

• 63 sing in the corner // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Banana skin game, that is all. So called neutrals are sharpening the pitch forks in the classic love-an-underdog fashion. In my opinion they will set up very defensive early on,hoping pressure will build on us, but we will break them down and win two nil if we play 2 up top. Perez for me, with Siem just behind him.

• 64 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Ruddy
    Tbf we spent all summer trying to flog our proven goal scorer

Watford are without their first choice CM though arent they? Should be a good win for us on paper but time will tell, don’t think we will lose personally but may end in a draw

• 65 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Ron…I wouldn’t say the team is shite ;)…it’s definitely not great!

previous post: McClaren Identifies Disappointing Period Of West Ham Game