McClaren – It´s Not A Crisis – It´s Not A Time To Panic

The Newcastle side were booed off the pitch at half time and booed off the pitch at the final whistle, although the lads were so much better in the final 45 minutes.

In the second half, we showed some spirit but the game was lost in the first half when we gave up two poor goals.

booed from the pitch at the end of both halves, said:

Steve McClaren watford

Steve McClaren on the touchline today

This is what Steve told reporters after the game:

“I can understand the fans’ reaction.”

“We are just turning things around and I think the majority understand that. Like we have said to the boys in the dressing room, it’s not a crisis, it’s not a time to panic – it’s too early, and we’d never do that anyway.”

“No matter where you are at what stage, we’d never do that, we have too much experience to know that.” “Like I’ve said to the players, we have got to stick together.”

We are going to get a lot of criticism and that can be flying from not just media, but also fans, and in that dressing room we have got to stay tight, we have got to stay calm, we have got to stick together.”

“I am under no illusions, this is a hard job – everybody knew that and you know it. You want proof, we’ve got proof.”

“But we have got the experience in the backroom staff to deal with this and turn it around. We are lucky that it’s early – it’s only two and a half months that we’ve been working with each other.”

“And there’s a long way to go and a lot of things to do.”

From watching his Sky Sports interview after the game, Steve really seems concerned about his players, because of the negativity that surrounds the side at the moment.

It´s easy to see why it takes some strong-minded players to play for Newcastle, but the criticism is intense when the side is not doing well.

But let´s also remember it´s only six games played and this thing can still be turned around – there´s still lots of time to do that.

Who Was Newcastle´s Best Player Against Watford

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Jesper mate from the previous post we are creating chances. Good chances that we’ll be relegated and good chances we’ll have a new manager in place next season. Now that’s progress!!!! Huzzah!!!!

• BandB

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Does anyone remember what that apoplexy-inducing disgrace to the club John Carver’s record was in his first six games?

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Here’s an oxymoron for you lot. Northeast football….

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Not doing a repost, left one on last thread!

• Tsunki

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Just let us know when it IS time to PANIC, Steve, thanks. Anyway, what happened to our Captains assertion that we should be competing with the likes of Swansea and West Ham?

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM

I think it was 5 points from Carver’s first 6 games BandB mate. Does that mean he’s 2.5 times better than Steve? Arrghhh! The horror!!!!

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM

We had a 3-0 win against Hull in there. Carver’s finest hour….

• Tsunki

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Even though I’ve been getting badgered by Sky to come back for half price I could confidently say it wasn’t worth it even for the footy

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:42 PM

I’ve taken off my Thong of Gloom….sob…..I can’t believe I’m doing this already. I’m slipping it on…..The Thong of Doom in September!!!!

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM

What’s that aboot badgers Tsunki mate???

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM

We’re doomed!!! Doomed I tell ye!!!! This is worse than the Black Death!!! This is worse than an evening with Maggie and Dennis Thatcher!!!!

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Oh it’s no good!!! It’s just no good!!! I can’t keep on cheering you lot up like this!!! It’s not fair to you all….We’ve got to face up to it….I don’t think we’re going to win the league this season. There it is…I’ve said it…..

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM

We haven’t got strong minded players though, we got rid of them all because they were….. er, strong minded, we have a team divided into two catergories, those better players who just aren’t good enough to get a regular slot in a big team so play for us in the hope they’ll get a big money move and those that are crap. These type of players do not roll their sleeves up when the going gets tough.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:50 PM

GT…look at the bright side it probably cannot get much worse 😉

I’ll tell you this was exactly what I feared would happen when we signed on McClaren…really a bad choice in my book!

It will get better I am sure, but it’s never going to be anything else than what we had during the 4 years of Pardew-gate!

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM

The mantra of ‘be patient’ wears a bit thin when you see other teams with new managers doing very well thank you.

Whatever happened to the new manager boost ?

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Very well then a bit of Monty Python for you jesper:
    Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse
    When you’re chewing on life’s gristle
    Don’t grumble, give a whistle
    And this’ll help things turn out for the best…
    And…
    …always look on the bright side
    of life…

• BandB

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM

G2

I can’t work out why Carr is getting so much stick either.
    A month ago McClaren’s fingerprints were “all over these signings.”
    It was one of the 12 signs that the new world order had dawned.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:55 PM

GT…there you go mate 😉

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:56 PM

I’m afraid Carr is in the firing line as much as everyone else now BandB mate. The blame goes straight to the top for me. Ashley oot!!!!

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Ashley’s orders to Carr during the summer window:
    I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

• Toon fm Exeter

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

50 years and 1 day since I watched my first Toon game so I have seen some crap served up. We are just full of foreign overpaid prima donnas who are not fit to wear the black and white stripes. We are going to be cast adrift come the end of October, I was full of optimism before the season but 6 games in and I have become a pessimist. I just don’t know how we are going to turn it around. If Man city play like they did tonight they will put at least 6 past us, Chelsea probably 4 hate to say it but I wish we had bottle like West Ham but that’s down to the manager I spose.

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Oops I may have gone too far there. Just a little humour from Blazing Saddles…..Ahem….

• bettyswallocks

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Stay calm everyone. Things are not as bad as they seem. They’re worse.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM

I’m off to rest after all the excitement. Stay happy and healthy you lot and remember to have a few good larfs each day…..

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM

BandB,
    I’ve never understood how Carr can be blamed for the signings given the amount of players that we have been heavily linked with over the years that have gone on to success. But how can we have a situation where a scout whose highest level of management was a fourth division Bpool and a host of non league teams be implementing a football stategy with a man plying his trade as an after dinner speaker carry on, the fact that Mclaren has so readily bought into this is a worry, I fear Cathro is purely here for geographical reasons only.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Oh and Great Tsukini keep up the good work mate. BandB, Jail, Mr. Tuff, Ibiza, jesper, keep on keepin’ on…..

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

GT…some of the best quotes are from that movie mate 🙂

…the funniest movie ever made!

• Toon XI

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Poor leadership at the top permeates to the players. Crap flows downhill and this organization is total s41t.

This relegation season has been a lomg time coming.

Not surprising to me as this club has no heart.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM

exeter

the foreign players at other clubs seem to be doing just fine. Would love the likes of montero and mahrez, to name just 2. foreign isn’t the problem. colback is as poor as anyone, as is the never ending succession of mediocre, second rate, failed brit managers we always insist on employing.

• chicousa

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Trying to remain positive: In terms of players showing heart and a high level of effort, there is one example for the other players to follow: Janmaat! His work rate was infectious in second half and Gini, Sissoko and Jack seemed to catch that energy and played much better. Now just need 90+ minutes of that same effort!

• Rotonda heights

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:13 PM

i think carr can be blamed for advocating SM so highly when far better options were out there

• Toon XI

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Too many matches of these team actually making an effort after it is too late. I blame lack of leadership on and off the pitch.

• BandB

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Rotonda,

I haven’t read that anywhere, or heard it.
    Is that public knowledge, or one of them urban myths?

• Jib

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM

This is quite strange
    New EPL managers in 2015
    Tony Pulis
    Alex Neil
    Alan Pardew
    Dick Advocaat
    Tim Sherwood
    Quique Flores
    Slaven Bilic
    Steve McClaren
    Claudio Ranieri

I would think the vast majority of them have their respective teams in positions unthinkable before the season started and the big Q is will they be there come May’s end

West Ham and Leicester top 5

Villa Sunlan NUFC bottom 5

C Palace Watford WBA top 10

Just saying like

• Novocastrian66

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Oh no, we’re in deep shit.

• jimiley

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Form is temporary but class is permanent. Four wins in 32 games. What does that say????

• chicousa

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Yeah, leadership is better shown by example than by pep talks! Janmaat shows it often, Collo shows it one or two games per season. Who is captain? SMC needs to recognize who his real leader is on the pitch!

• AncientC

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Four wins in 32 Premier League games… no need to “panic.”

McClaren has had a full preseason of friendlies plus Premier League fixtures to win a game – yet here we still are playing his 4-2-3-1 without a win.

When you are beaten on home soil by a Watford side with a much inferior starting 11, showing the balls to play 2 strikers… you have to wonder at which point we should panic.

I wish I could say ‘back to the drawing board,’ but knowing McClaren’s stubbornness to stick with his 4-2-3-1, it is more likely going to be persistence with the status-quo.

The majority of fans didn’t want Cisse to play as an isolated striker today – so why could fans see this, yet McClaren needed the half-time break against Watford for light to dawn on him.

I could be wrong, but it is starting to look like McClaren has not done his homework on the previous failings at this club… believing that as a new manager/head coach, he can implement old strategies and make them work.

We need a fresh approach, not an old one.

• Graeme

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Bloody hell – which 3 voted for Collo as MOM?? Have the mackems been on again??

• jimiley

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:24 PM

It is good to see big Mike getting exactly what he deserves. He could be at the Toon longer than God if he wants to oversee a trophy. He could well oversee another relegation. Come on Shteeeve, get them out on the training pitch. We have bought 50 million of tut so they need to work harder.