The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – It´s Not A Crisis – It´s Not A Time To Panic

7:33 pm, Saturday, September 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 106 Comments

The Newcastle side were booed off the pitch at half time and booed off the pitch at the final whistle, although the lads were so much better in the final 45 minutes.

In the second half, we showed some spirit but the game was lost in the first half when we gave up two poor goals.

booed from the pitch at the end of both halves, said:

Steve McClaren watford

Steve McClaren on the touchline today

This is what Steve told reporters after the game:

“I can understand the fans’ reaction.”

“We are just turning things around and I think the majority understand that. Like we have said to the boys in the dressing room, it’s not a crisis, it’s not a time to panic – it’s too early, and we’d never do that anyway.”

“No matter where you are at what stage, we’d never do that, we have too much experience to know that.” “Like I’ve said to the players, we have got to stick together.”

We are going to get a lot of criticism and that can be flying from not just media, but also fans, and in that dressing room we have got to stay tight, we have got to stay calm, we have got to stick together.”

“I am under no illusions, this is a hard job – everybody knew that and you know it. You want proof, we’ve got proof.”

“But we have got the experience in the backroom staff to deal with this and turn it around. We are lucky that it’s early – it’s only two and a half months that we’ve been working with each other.”

“And there’s a long way to go and a lot of things to do.”

From watching his Sky Sports interview after the game, Steve really seems concerned about his players, because of the negativity that surrounds the side at the moment.

It´s easy to see why it takes some strong-minded players to play for Newcastle, but the criticism is intense when the side is not doing well.

But let´s also remember it´s only six games played and this thing can still be turned around – there´s still lots of time to do that.

Who Was Newcastle´s Best Player Against Watford

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Interview · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press Conference

106 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Jesper mate from the previous post we are creating chances. Good chances that we’ll be relegated and good chances we’ll have a new manager in place next season. Now that’s progress!!!! Huzzah!!!!

• 2 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Does anyone remember what that apoplexy-inducing disgrace to the club John Carver’s record was in his first six games?

• 3 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Here’s an oxymoron for you lot. Northeast football….

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Not doing a repost, left one on last thread!

• 5 Tsunki // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Just let us know when it IS time to PANIC, Steve, thanks. Anyway, what happened to our Captains assertion that we should be competing with the likes of Swansea and West Ham?

• 6 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM

I think it was 5 points from Carver’s first 6 games BandB mate. Does that mean he’s 2.5 times better than Steve? Arrghhh! The horror!!!!

• 7 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM

We had a 3-0 win against Hull in there. Carver’s finest hour….

• 8 Tsunki // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Even though I’ve been getting badgered by Sky to come back for half price I could confidently say it wasn’t worth it even for the footy

• 9 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:42 PM

I’ve taken off my Thong of Gloom….sob…..I can’t believe I’m doing this already. I’m slipping it on…..The Thong of Doom in September!!!!

• 10 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM

What’s that aboot badgers Tsunki mate???

• 11 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM

We’re doomed!!! Doomed I tell ye!!!! This is worse than the Black Death!!! This is worse than an evening with Maggie and Dennis Thatcher!!!!

• 12 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Oh it’s no good!!! It’s just no good!!! I can’t keep on cheering you lot up like this!!! It’s not fair to you all….We’ve got to face up to it….I don’t think we’re going to win the league this season. There it is…I’ve said it…..

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM

We haven’t got strong minded players though, we got rid of them all because they were….. er, strong minded, we have a team divided into two catergories, those better players who just aren’t good enough to get a regular slot in a big team so play for us in the hope they’ll get a big money move and those that are crap. These type of players do not roll their sleeves up when the going gets tough.

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:50 PM

GT…look at the bright side it probably cannot get much worse 😉

I’ll tell you this was exactly what I feared would happen when we signed on McClaren…really a bad choice in my book!

It will get better I am sure, but it’s never going to be anything else than what we had during the 4 years of Pardew-gate!

• 15 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM

The mantra of ‘be patient’ wears a bit thin when you see other teams with new managers doing very well thank you.

Whatever happened to the new manager boost ?

• 16 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Very well then a bit of Monty Python for you jesper:
    Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse
    When you’re chewing on life’s gristle
    Don’t grumble, give a whistle
    And this’ll help things turn out for the best…
    And…
    …always look on the bright side
    of life…

• 17 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM

G2

I can’t work out why Carr is getting so much stick either.
    A month ago McClaren’s fingerprints were “all over these signings.”
    It was one of the 12 signs that the new world order had dawned.

• 18 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:55 PM

GT…there you go mate 😉

• 19 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:56 PM

I’m afraid Carr is in the firing line as much as everyone else now BandB mate. The blame goes straight to the top for me. Ashley oot!!!!

• 20 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Ashley’s orders to Carr during the summer window:
    I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

• 21 Toon fm Exeter // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

50 years and 1 day since I watched my first Toon game so I have seen some crap served up. We are just full of foreign overpaid prima donnas who are not fit to wear the black and white stripes. We are going to be cast adrift come the end of October, I was full of optimism before the season but 6 games in and I have become a pessimist. I just don’t know how we are going to turn it around. If Man city play like they did tonight they will put at least 6 past us, Chelsea probably 4 hate to say it but I wish we had bottle like West Ham but that’s down to the manager I spose.

• 22 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Oops I may have gone too far there. Just a little humour from Blazing Saddles…..Ahem….

• 23 bettyswallocks // Sep 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Stay calm everyone. Things are not as bad as they seem. They’re worse.

• 24 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM

I’m off to rest after all the excitement. Stay happy and healthy you lot and remember to have a few good larfs each day…..

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM

BandB,
    I’ve never understood how Carr can be blamed for the signings given the amount of players that we have been heavily linked with over the years that have gone on to success. But how can we have a situation where a scout whose highest level of management was a fourth division Bpool and a host of non league teams be implementing a football stategy with a man plying his trade as an after dinner speaker carry on, the fact that Mclaren has so readily bought into this is a worry, I fear Cathro is purely here for geographical reasons only.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Oh and Great Tsukini keep up the good work mate. BandB, Jail, Mr. Tuff, Ibiza, jesper, keep on keepin’ on…..

• 27 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

GT…some of the best quotes are from that movie mate 🙂

…the funniest movie ever made!

• 28 Toon XI // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Poor leadership at the top permeates to the players. Crap flows downhill and this organization is total s41t.

This relegation season has been a lomg time coming.

Not surprising to me as this club has no heart.

• 29 Rotonda heights // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM

exeter

the foreign players at other clubs seem to be doing just fine. Would love the likes of montero and mahrez, to name just 2. foreign isn’t the problem. colback is as poor as anyone, as is the never ending succession of mediocre, second rate, failed brit managers we always insist on employing.

• 30 chicousa // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Trying to remain positive: In terms of players showing heart and a high level of effort, there is one example for the other players to follow: Janmaat! His work rate was infectious in second half and Gini, Sissoko and Jack seemed to catch that energy and played much better. Now just need 90+ minutes of that same effort!

• 31 Rotonda heights // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:13 PM

i think carr can be blamed for advocating SM so highly when far better options were out there

• 32 Toon XI // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Too many matches of these team actually making an effort after it is too late. I blame lack of leadership on and off the pitch.

• 33 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Rotonda,

I haven’t read that anywhere, or heard it.
    Is that public knowledge, or one of them urban myths?

• 34 Jib // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM

This is quite strange
    New EPL managers in 2015
    Tony Pulis
    Alex Neil
    Alan Pardew
    Dick Advocaat
    Tim Sherwood
    Quique Flores
    Slaven Bilic
    Steve McClaren
    Claudio Ranieri

I would think the vast majority of them have their respective teams in positions unthinkable before the season started and the big Q is will they be there come May’s end

West Ham and Leicester top 5

Villa Sunlan NUFC bottom 5

C Palace Watford WBA top 10

Just saying like

• 35 Novocastrian66 // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Oh no, we’re in deep shit.

• 36 jimiley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Form is temporary but class is permanent. Four wins in 32 games. What does that say????

• 37 chicousa // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Yeah, leadership is better shown by example than by pep talks! Janmaat shows it often, Collo shows it one or two games per season. Who is captain? SMC needs to recognize who his real leader is on the pitch!

• 38 AncientC // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Four wins in 32 Premier League games… no need to “panic.”

McClaren has had a full preseason of friendlies plus Premier League fixtures to win a game – yet here we still are playing his 4-2-3-1 without a win.

When you are beaten on home soil by a Watford side with a much inferior starting 11, showing the balls to play 2 strikers… you have to wonder at which point we should panic.

I wish I could say ‘back to the drawing board,’ but knowing McClaren’s stubbornness to stick with his 4-2-3-1, it is more likely going to be persistence with the status-quo.

The majority of fans didn’t want Cisse to play as an isolated striker today – so why could fans see this, yet McClaren needed the half-time break against Watford for light to dawn on him.

I could be wrong, but it is starting to look like McClaren has not done his homework on the previous failings at this club… believing that as a new manager/head coach, he can implement old strategies and make them work.

We need a fresh approach, not an old one.

• 39 Graeme // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Bloody hell – which 3 voted for Collo as MOM?? Have the mackems been on again??

• 40 jimiley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:24 PM

It is good to see big Mike getting exactly what he deserves. He could be at the Toon longer than God if he wants to oversee a trophy. He could well oversee another relegation. Come on Shteeeve, get them out on the training pitch. We have bought 50 million of tut so they need to work harder.

• 41 jazzyp // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Novocastrian

That is putting it politely mate.
    Just got back from the match and have got to say that first half performance was one of the worst I have seen in many many years.
    We are playing at home against supposedly one of the relegation candidates, And we play one upfront……..What the f@ck is that about. We couldn’t pass, Defend or attack, No wonder they were rightly booed off at half time

• 42 chicousa // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM

3 votes for Haidara too. Smelling something weary bad!

• 43 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:27 PM

jimiley

Exactly that!!!!….. our policy is paying back handsomely…

• 44 AncientC // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:29 PM

I noticed McClaren received a phone call whilst he was on the sidelines -this was when the team was already behind.

I would love to know what that was about.

• 45 Jib // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:32 PM

AncientC
    It was from his bookies reminding him he had Watford to win by only one goal.

• 46 Jib // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:34 PM

We are on SS3 as SNF match of the day ffs

• 47 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Toon – 4 wins in 32 premiership games
    McLarens record no wins in the last nineteen League /Premiership Games – Some F**in record and I cannot see it getting any better in the near futeure

• 48 Jib // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Sorry that should be Sky Sports 2

• 49 RUNAWAY777 // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM

where to start tell u what lets not bother as they are rubbish should be brushed up and put in the bin where at this min is were all nufc players should be in the trash

• 50 jimiley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Charlie,
    I did not realize Schteeeeeeves record is that crap. He will not see Xmas. But who appointed him? The guy we just cannot get rid of. A trophy or relegation this season? I know where my money is going.

• 51 jimiley // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:53 PM

I have supporter the club for over 50 years and the last few years are easily the worst. It is a boring, soulless club.

• 52 RUNAWAY777 // Sep 19, 2015 at 8:58 PM

i wonder how many mug ran out for there season ticket,think ashleys round again muppets

• 53 RUNAWAY777 // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:01 PM

not be watching match of the day cant stand my beloved team being pulled apart on tv

• 54 jazzyp // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Jimiley

Feel the same way im afraid. Its getting to the stage where enough is enough.
    The Watford fans made a mockery of us in our own backyard, Especially in the first half. A lot of fans around where I sit didn’t even bother returning for the second half.
    The players clearly don’t give a sh@t so I will be damned if I keep travelling a 6hr round trip every home game to watch that pile of tripe anymore

• 55 toonking // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM

RH

really mate I don’t think you understand newcastle because the truth is we have always been a team built around a number of very passionate local lad, the real quality foreign players will never come to us because we’re not a team that provides the money and champions league football these want and on top of that we’re miles away from a big city and by big i mean big.

These foreign players we will see arriving are basically ones who’s main intent is to provide themselves worth of getting that big money move to a club and once they know they won’t get this big money move they’ll just give up and become mercunries,

In the last 5 years it’s occured with about 5

Ba demanded he be placed as the main striker if newcastle themselves were to keep him when the truth was he demanded that just to ensure a move was easier.

remy himself would happily play for QPR over newcastle but decides a bench warming time at chelsea is a better option to a full move for 1st team action with us.

Cabaye himself decided to go on strike as part of his attempt to gain that big cash move to PSG and then having learned he’ll be a bench warmer he took the option of going back to a mid table london club.

Sissoko himself at first was looking like a superb player as was cisse but now they both don’t seem to give a crap because they know already that hopeful big wage move has failed.

It might not sound right but it’s true our team has been built around a group of local very passionate players weather it be milburn, beardsley, gazzaor shearer, we always had them.

• 56 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Janmaat gets man of the match. Does it matter that he was crap defensively in a crap defence? Or do we overlook that?

• 57 toonking // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Having just made that statement myself it adds even greater disappointment and sadness over just how we currently stand.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:16 PM

I wonder if Mashers will sack him if we’re rock bottom at Christmas ?

• 59 TroubledToon // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Really Steve? Something’s seriously wrong with u if think this isn’t a crisis!!!! Its not just 2 points in 6 games… Its not like we’ve conceded late goals to lose games… We have been chasing every single game n what’s worse is the fact that we don’t ever seem to b in with a chance of catching up…. Clueless in Defence, Toothless in Attack…. N he says “Don’t panic”

• 60 AncientC // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:21 PM

What really sticks out and hurts is that this side can play football, but that normally only happens when the side takes its default position of being in a losing position.

Yeah, we will give you a game, but only when when we have nothing left to lose. Akin to a skittish animal that needs to be cornered before it will fight.

How has a Northern club with such a huge stadium ended up with some of the most cowardice managers. There is a vibrant potentially hostile stadium begging to be used to intimidate away sides – for God’s sake, use it to have a go.

The fortress will go neglected by another pacifist general.

• 61 toonking // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:22 PM

I wonder if I did forget abou this season then maybe next season we could see the team start becoming a team that can rebuild around some nice locals in arrons and armstrong because arrons did have a great season last year until his injury and armstrong most is doing great whilst on loan at the minute and sums up why we were all wanting him to do so in either of the past two seasons

• 62 toonking // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:28 PM

armstrong is*

• 63 RUNAWAY777 // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:28 PM

50 year of wacthing nufc and no more ,i remember teams with the likes of wyn davis pop robson john tudor super mac terry hibbit jim smith tommy gibb frank clark ian mcfaul and a few centre halfs i wish we today john mc manee,brain kilclineor,philippe albert could go on but think you will get the point,and 25p to watch them in the fair cup against eupon teams not bad.

• 64 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:38 PM

There is still plenty of time to turn the season around.
    But you’ll notice even the manager isn’t saying “don’t panic, we’ll still be top eight and win a cup.”
    He’s saying it will be a slog of a season and the players need to stick together.

• 65 Average_Contents // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM

This is what happens after nearly 8 years of severe underinvestment under the guise of we can’t compete.

Taken apart by a newly promoted team with 15 new player’s and a new manager but we need time to “gel”. Right?

Much like our opponents on Monday.

We’ve been overtaken by smaller sides but because we’ve got new player’s and because we’ve got super shteve, it’s going to take time.

Tell that to the other teams who obviously don’t see it that way.

It’s fcuking embarrassing having to watch Watford play triangles in our half then dissecting our porous defence time and time again whilst we stood their and watched.

It’s embarrassing having to explain to my son that “yes, we really are that shit”

It’s embarrassing talking to mates at work.

I used to be proud to tell anybody who I support. Now it’s just embarrassing.

Ashley out

Penfold out

£100m out

Bwave new world bollox out

Night

• 66 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:52 PM

toonking,

I think that has to be some kind of record for thinking about writing off the season and starting to build anew next year.

• 67 Small World // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Some people are saying that one of the reasons we are falling short is that we are buying young cheap, foreign players who have no premiership experience. Today’s Watford team:-

01 Gomes

17 Guédioura
    19 Ibarbo
    20 Berghuis
    32 Diamanti
    34 Arlauskis
    31 Hoban

It is clear to me that some of our “Star” players are no better than the names listed above. It was worrying today that Wijnaldum has already appeared to have picked up the Sissoko habbit of playing for 20 mins a game. Neither of them amongst our worst performers today.

Never mind zero hour contracts, if I was Ashley I’d have the lot of them on Zero minute contracts. i.e. the only get paid for every minute they at least appear to put a shift in on the pitch.

Irrespective of any shortfalls in ownership and management of the club – there is clearly little or no pride amongst the players in playing for the team or fans. Put this right and we’ll make progress.

Talk of formations, 442, 4231, 4141 or whatever you can find in FIFA 2015 or football manager is just guff.

Over to you McClaren, Carr, assorted trainers, backrooom staff etc…

• 68 RUNAWAY777 // Sep 19, 2015 at 9:58 PM

yes but watford wanted the win our players just wanted the mony or cant you see that

• 69 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:00 PM

To be honest lads I don’t know what is the best for the TOON.
    Bumping along the bottom of the Premiership
    or
    getting relegated
    because it ain’t looking like we are going to finish out of the bottom 6.

May be some pain/a lot of pain like what Portsmouth have had to suffer might not be a bad thing.

• 70 bettyswallocks // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Like I said earlier there is no case to be made that we currently have a good football team.

What can be done to salvage some pride and try to avoid relegation will have to be the priority of the board now.

Whether Ashley will react with sackings or extra investment, who knows.

• 71 RUNAWAY777 // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:02 PM

ashley not getting big pay day at the end of this season happy days

• 72 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:03 PM

All we really need is for Ashley to get his head round the notion that we are a football club and not a shop.
    As long as we aren’t playing football, we are world-beaters.

• 73 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Small World
    Any facts on the costs of those Watford players and where they came from?

• 74 RUNAWAY777 // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:06 PM

and for ashley investing more money in the club by jan we will be to far a drift to help

• 75 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Quique Sanchez Flores of Watford started the Atletico Madrid revolution before Simeone took over this guy is a Europa league winner and has managed lots of great clubs ! He knows what he is doing would he have been on our radar at all when we are looking at managers ?

I am really worried for this season I thought Mclaren would have been a step up from Pardew and Carver and we would actually be playing attacking football

Needs to drop the charade and go 442 with Mitrovic and Perez up front against Chelsea no point parking the bus

• 76 toon22 // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:10 PM

How long has it been since we actually had a “team” who looked like they havent just met each other.
    Its disjointed,abysmal embarassing and utterly sad.Since we were blighted by MA our club as utterly circled the gutter.He has no clue or just dont care either way its sad.

Out club is a shadow of its former self,yes we havent ever been successful,recently, but we are living on the memory of KK and past glory.Were like a less kind of Leeds slowly dieing.

If we continue with MA as an owner it will utterly destroy our club,we might as well do a Wimbeldon and start again.

• 77 Small World // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM

72 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Unfortunately no info, I’ve left the program in the car. Might dig it out in the morning to see if it says anything. I reckon we’d both be able to hazard a guess at the level of spending compared to ours. Deeney made a chump of Colo today and Ighalo a chump of the rest of the defence, though Mbemba left with a little credit. I think I read earlier that Ighalo has scored 24 in 26 games this calendar year.

• 78 Blofal // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:13 PM

McClaren is right when he said during the transfer window that he wants players that have a winning mentality.

For a lot of our players failure has become ingrained. Colback and Coloccini especially seem to wilt under the pressure.

• 79 toonking // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:14 PM

BandB
    I might ask for ashley to employ me as manager next, we know we’ll not get decent ones so my extensive amounts of reasons could give him a good reason.

really but
    hoping a good manager and good players are now given up, this is likely in part a relation to my early sense of just going down and building it from scratch again/

• 80 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:15 PM

And probably the first two names on the team sheet.

• 81 Bri // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:16 PM

What really gets to me is the mind numbing football we’ve played for a long time now . Football devoid of skill.pace,excitement and movement.
    Its becoming a chore to watch us these days.

• 82 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:18 PM

toonking,

Aarons and Armstrong and any other local kid that comes good would also be sold if the price was right.
    We are building on quicksand.

• 83 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM

How does the TOON manage to wreck a players reputation after coming here Sissoko brilliant on his debut absolute beast against Chelsea – look at him now
    Wijnaldum looked great first game 5 games later a shadow of that
    Cabella came with reputation zilch

• 84 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM

had enough MOTD just come on gannin to bed – can only dream of a team that plays decent football can pass and F88IN move off the ball instead of playing statues for half the game

• 85 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM

BandB
    we are up to or necks in quicksand

• 86 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Charlie,

Funnily, moaning is good for the soul.
    It gets it out of your system and saves you from despair.
    If I was an optimist I’d have quit years ago.
    I’ve had a good moan, and already I’m beginning to think we’ll surprise Chelsea.

• 87 AncientC // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:30 PM

I would be hesitant to blame the squad completely. With the additions that we have, it is difficult to foresee what exactly the best formation is, but… with the potential added, there should be a lot of room for maneuver.

Our squad of players has an element of the unknown about it, so why the application of only 1 formation throughout preseason and Premier League fixtures?

We appear to have more options, and yet less of them are being explored.

It is a bit of a mystery to me how McClaren has taken a look at his final squad, then decided that 4-2-3-1 will eventually work. I don’t think I have ever seen a Newcastle squad with the potential to play so many different formations, given the amount of players that can play in different roles.

In my estimation, there is a formation and starting 11 in our squad that is capable of doing better than the current selections. (Should that be adapting and playing the 4-2-3-1 in certain games, not ALL of them)

Could a new manager be anymore predictable, than stepping in and playing a 4-2-3-1, using the senior & most expensively paid for players at his disposal.

• 88 toonking // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM

B&B
    theres always that carroll one to remind people about all these injury prone stars we produce.

The excuse me as manager would say is “I’m having a bit of issue at being able to retain this player but shall try my hardest” Q. what would do if he did go? ” well we’ll just have to accept this large carroll money like before and allow that new club to enjoy it’s current injury prone toon star whilst we bring that new striker in this time”

• 89 bettyswallocks // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM

The standard this season in the PL is higher than ever. Last season showed us how lacking we are and without that fortunate run of wins we would have gone down.

We have no left backs capable of playing in this league, no striker as of today that looks like scoring, a captain with no leadership qualities, no pace and past his sell by date, no wide player capable of putting in a consistent cross, two Dm’s that are not capable of playing at this level and we are trying to compete against supposedly lesser teams that have fast , powerful, skilful players that put our misfits to shame.

• 90 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Come on lads!
    We all know we are just one decent half of football from wondering what all the doom and gloom was about.

• 91 jimmysmith // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:37 PM

It’s hard to knock the level of investment, but the timing has been very odd, and the targets very hit and miss. Maybe Newcastle should relieve Carr of his duties in identifying wingers, for example, and delegate it to Cathro, he says, only half jokingly.

• 92 BandB // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:47 PM

What Charlie should have done is stayed up to watch MOTD and get Mrs Charlie tell tell him how rubbish we are.
    He’d have soon fallen back in love. 🙂

• 93 Shot Bru // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Brolly for the Wally!

Guaranteed relegation.

• 94 jimmysmith // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:56 PM

We are also signing players who have been big fish in small ponds, and the transition must be quite culture shock. Widjnaldum, Mitrovich and DeJong for example, were true terrace heroes in Holland and Belgium, our lesser signings stars back home. But this is a remorseless and unforgiving league and some of these guys seem to be taking their reality check like a punch in the guts.

• 95 jimmysmith // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Or a slap in the face in public.

• 96 toon kk // Sep 19, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Let’s be honest today was hardly a surprise,
    people who thought we’d win was more a case of wishful thinking.
    We have the worst team in the premier league by a mile and I’ve said we were shit for a long time.

• 97 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Only 64 halves of football left this season BandB.
    How many good ‘uns do we need to stay up ?

• 98 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM

“The lack of quality was alarming ”

Don’t hold back Al

• 99 toon kk // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Shearer just summed us up on MOTD
    lack of quality was alarming.

• 100 optimistic prime // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Jaanmat can’t defend
    Haidra can’t defend
    Colocini is shite full stop
    Colback is useless
    Sissoko isn’t even a footballer
    Thauvin is a legend, in his own mind
    Cisse can’t play the striker role in that formation.

Glad Steve did his homework or we’d be a right mess.

Ashley out!

• 101 toonking // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM

the way shearer was speaking following the highlights shown boy is he furious, he could see we have been screaming for pace, these blood foreigners are never getting into space fast enough.

good manager bad manager who gives a fcuk this is just too crap a team plain and simple, anyone who still thinks not return to your fifa games and stick with that.

• 102 toon kk // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Toonking
    yep Shearer was fuming,
    I actually don’t think most of our lads are even giving 100%.

• 103 oldbobaycliffe // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:36 PM

newcastle had 4 new first team players and a new manager to incorporate watford 15 players and a new manager quess who got it right first

• 104 Shot Bru // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:38 PM

There is not one leader on the pitch!!

It makes absolutely no one accountable for their performance which is why players get away with not giving 100%

I can’t have faith in McLaren if he continues with Coloccini as Captain and 1st choice CB or why he keeps selecting Cisse who doesn’t want to play for us.

These are 2 of our most experienced players in key positions. No wonder we leak goals and can’t score.

There are issues all over the pitch and club

Ashley Out

• 105 Tsunki // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Oh dear nufc policy sussed. Oh. Wait. We knew all along that we’ve been run like a second hand Vauxhall astra . Trips to the scrap yard, cheap parts off eBay, diy servicing. Hmmm. We are supposed to be a top outfit in one of the world’s best leagues. But we have a pen pushing bean counter appointed by an avaricious owner to get ” pound for pound” value out of playing stock. Not a team built to compete in anything. it’s getting tiring. And please Mike, nee mair vids eg?

• 106 stan anderson // Sep 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Does anyone seriously think S.Mac.gives a shit about NUFC.
    Does anyone think that the players even give a shit about NUFC.
    All they are interested in is their wages and having a easy time of it.
    They dont care about us supporters who adore NUFC.
    It,s just a job to them,thats all.
    Ashley puts a team of inadequate people in charge of running the club and pays them well to do it.
    Ashley OOT.