The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Look To Strengthen The Defense in January

3:20 pm, Sunday, September 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Newcastle will be looking to strengthen the defense this January in the upcoming transfer window and this is something we should have done in the summer, but it seems that Steve McClaren is counting on Fabricio Coloccini to produce for Newcastle this season,  in the center of Newcastle´s defense.

Two of the weaknesses in the Newcastle defense seem to be at center back and at left back.

Bildnummer: 10133921 Datum: 11.03.2012 Copyright: imago/Wienold 11.03.2012 Gelsenkirchen, Fussball, 1. BL Herren, Saison 2011 2012, FC Schalke 04, JOEL MATIP, Einzelbild ; 2011 HSV x0x xsk 2012 quadrat Image number 10133921 date 11 03 2012 Copyright imago Wienold 11 03 2012 Gelsenkirchen Football 1 BL men Season 2011 2012 FC Schalke 04 Joel Matip Single 2011 HSV x0x xsk 2012 Square

Joel Matip – Schalke and Cameroon International

Newcastle checked out  a number of center backs over the summer and one player Newcastle could go after is Schalke’s 24 year old 6ft 4ins tall Joel Matip, whose contract runs out next June.

Joel will be available at a reduced price in January and Newcastle may want to make a decent offer for him and get him in at that time.

With players taking some time to adapt and settle in at Newcastle, we should be bringing players in  over the January transfer window.

Graham Carr is reported in the Mirror to have watched Lyon’s 21-year-old central defender Samuel Umtiti last Wednesday night, and he has been on Newcastle’s radar screen now since early last year.

Umtiti is 5ft 11ins tall and has played 139 times for Lyon with 4 goals and 3 assists.

Samuel has played for all the French youth sides through U21 level (47 total appearances at all levels)  and he was born in Yaounde, Cameroon.

Another player who we’ve been watching is 23 year-old Dutch International Joel Veltman who plays at Ajax and there’s a possibility he could be added to Dutch contingent in January.

If the Netherlands don´t qualify for the Euro 2016 Championships in France next summer, that may leave the door open for Newcastle to tempt him to leave Ajax half way through the season.

We also need another striker brought in over the January transfer window, but that seems a no-brainer with Charlie Austin available at a cut price, with his contract running out next June at QPR.

That’s assuming we are not in the bottom three in the league table at that time because then it could ba more difficult to attract good players.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:23 PM

“Newcastle may want to make a decent offer for him”???
    Well, there’s always a first time I guess!!!

• 2 JackButler // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM

So they look to do what everyone was screaming for all summer long!

Be interesting to see who Carr wastes the next kitty on

• 3 Jib // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Wales 28 Uruguay 9

• 4 toonking // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM

errr hellooo

This is what a summer transfer window is meant to do, come january we’re panic buying, they will be arriving to a club in relegation battle.

• 5 SUTTY1978 // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Graeme, strangely we are happy to make decent offers for some players, Thauvin was one of the craziest transfers I have ever seen, a player that has been god awful for two seasons we decide is worth €20m. This is a player that no other team made an offer for and no other team were interested in. I said at the time the only way i would be happy about getting him would be on a free.
    Not sure who his agent is but would bet it’s one of Carr’s mates

• 6 Jib // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM

It’s an open secret that the left back is PSV’s Jetro Willems (Wijnaldums best mate)

• 7 SUTTY1978 // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Just thought i’d have a look who Thauvins agent is after making my previous sweeping statement.

No surprise that half our squad is with the same agent and also nearly our whole scouting list. As i said Carr just deals with his mates….

• 8 JackButler // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:34 PM

They can sign who they like, fact remain that until Ashley and his merry band of idiots are gone, nothing will change

• 9 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Don’t give Carr any more money. Well okay then. An allowance of £20 a week to spend on a few treats for himself and a tin of quality street now and again for his friends at the old folks home.

• 10 toonking // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM

JB previous thread

seriously how can you be so critical about shearer just becasue of his poor form as manager?

An interest point you might want to know is most of the better managers tend to be less decent as football players.

Shearer probably won’t have broken that milburne record in this team but then again he would have even been part of this current squad instead he’d have joined a team such as arsenal, manure or chelsea not us.

• 11 toonking // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM

would not have been*

• 12 Small World // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:38 PM

RE: the full back situation, To an extent I feel sorry for Haidara. The kid doesn’t look as though he is cut out to be good enough, but he always offers up for the ball whether attempting to clear a situation (often not succeeding) or attacking (often failing to make the cross count).

In his case, it’s definitely a lack of skill / application rather than effort. Can’t say that for come of the other no-marks in the team

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Even the Man Utd and Southampton managers are on TV now taking the pish out of Makro, copying his accent. Next thing they’ll be grinning inanely in defeat.

• 14 JackButler // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Do people actually believe that Ashley is no longer involved in the running of the club? That he has given Charnley cart blanche?

The easiest way to stop the audience booing the villain is to keep him off the stage, but trust me he’s still there, still pulling The strings and dictating what happens.

That £50 million spend was put up in the hope of securing the £130 so million survival gives him

• 15 SUTTY1978 // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Small World, Haidara had a bad game yesterday but has been one of our most consistent performers this season.

• 16 JackButler // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Because as I said in that post, his comments are doing nothing but inflaming

• 17 cyprus // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM

So still searching for the culprit.
    e.g. Thauvin. Well people didn’t laugh with rumours of barca interest, so he can’t be that bad.

Then there’s that Colo one. It’s clear he’s a good player, no worse than many CBs in the PL anyway.

So, each one of us then goes to ‘pick one’: Colback, Sissoko, Cisse, you name a player, he’s been blamed.
    The thing is, man for man, player for player, we are ok.

If we aren’t it’s on Carr, surely. 84 mil, in two summers is serious money.

And the punch line: Who do I blame? Well, I don’t know is the absolute truth, as is the case I believe for all of us, including the insiders. But, I won’t chicken out. I think: Tactics, strategy, luck. Lesser players and teams are outfoxing us. We still look to randomly create things, like people who meet in a park for a game and ‘hope’ to combine with someone, usually unsuccessfully.

• 18 Small World // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:46 PM

SUTTY1978 // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM

I’ve seen the kid play plenty. I just don’t feel as though he is the quality we need. It would have been better if he had been allowed to develop as an understudy to a top class left back. (Santon wasn’t that guy). Wtih Dummet out he’s now our only option and I think he sometimes struggles. I suspect the bad injuries he has suffered have also hampered his development.

• 19 toonking // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:47 PM

those comments he’ll be saying are very much no different to what any toon fan is saying. Unlike ourselves he did have a football career but the fact of the matter is he too is a geordie inside out so like ourselves he too will continue to come out with these sort of things.

why are you only talking about the club on a blog, why couldn’t you have been a footballer playing for the club yourself?

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Small World
    I feel sorry for the fans, who have to suffer Haidara.

• 21 solano // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:50 PM

A repost for my old friend, Ian Toon. Apologies but I really want him to take note.
    Ian Toon….I think you overplay my resonse to Speed’s death.
    Moreover, please don’t patronise me or presume that I enjoyed or indeed, had any influence over the NUFC diaspora.
    I note you hang onto the ‘diversionary blame game’ theory (it’s like a perverted game of Cluedo). Did you buy one of Ed’s ‘In Carr we Trust’ tshirts?
    As for you wanting me to stick to football; let me say this…..the football is almost non existent and unfortunately, all that happens at NUFC IS political – the whole set up has nothing to do with sporting integrity. I don’t like it, but that’s how I see it.
    For 4 years on here, people have chosen to close their eyes and put their fuingers in their lugs and pretend everything would turn out all right. It didn’t and it never will!
    By all means, carry on nitpicking over different playing formations or blaming the next convenient sap. But let me be clear, I have nothing but contempt for you and your type. I reserve the right to post as I see fit and decent and rather than embitterment, I feel pity for the few who can’t break the habit of their smack addiction and yet know exactly how they are manipulated and exploited by their dealer (many of those did actually do other things which did have an effect. eg. Last season’s demos or t4c march in ’13)
    My opinion does not seek to influence or inspire resistance to the regime…that bird flew when most (on here and elsewhere) chose to criticise those who wanted to extrapolate their words into action, and did nothing themselves.
    I will, on occasions, pop in and write on the situation as I see it, but do not wish to engage you directly as you have shown worrying signs of being disingenous and a potential stalker.
    I hope this post does not offend some longterm posters – some of whom I have met in the ‘real’ world of which a few have become good friends. I have the utmost respect for those who post when they have something genuine and heartfelt to say on NUFC matters, rather than those who post just to ingratiate their own egos and prove how clever/reasonable/anodyne they really are.

• 22 JackButler // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Shearer looks like he has an axe to grind with Ashley, he singles out individual players when it’s the entire system that’s broken. The last two games it’s been Cisse and Thauvin who have been singled out by him but the entire team was at fault not just those two players.

As for your last question.

What the hell are you on about?

• 23 toonking // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM

thauvin not that bad your joking right?

he turns up week in week out wearing a tuxedo, why would any footballer want to do that?

• 24 cyprus // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Haidara isn’t that bad either. Ok, he lost the ball, but Janm was just as much to blame as it was he who should have defended there. Yet, he runs away with MOM. In fact, defensively, if I had to choose one player of the two in a defensive situation, I’d go for haidi rather than Janm. Faster, for one.

But that’s not the point. I insist. Focusing on a single player-culprit is unfair.

• 25 cyprus // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Haven’t seen that player enough to shape a real opinion, as I’m guessing neither have you. In honesty, he seems a bit like Cabella, and I haven’t even made up my mind on HIM either.

• 26 Small World // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM

As I said earlier, I believe he may have turned out better if properly handled. He should have been one for the development squad. (I know, I know curse of our development coaching etc…). At this point I ‘m doubting whether he will now progress. Any confidence he may have had is shot, and of course he has captain courageous just inside of him to back him up.

And yes I do “suffer” his play. He’s often down my corner when threatening to cross. I have forgotten the last time he has delivered anything meaningful.

• 27 spitfire_ // Sep 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

As usual, our beloved club act with at least 6 months delay.

• 28 Paul141726 // Sep 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM

50 million spent this past window on what exactly? I feel Carr and Charnley are the problem. Charnley has orders from Ashley to spend, but Carr has no clue on what! Mr Carr–this is the 21st century now, but finding players who work their asses off for the team should be item #1 on your list. Then recruit players who who have something between their ears. Lastly how about players with “useable” speed. It’s been stated many times that Sissoko is our fastest player, but does he use that speed to his advantage??? When I watch this team, each player seems to want to take the easy way without spending the effort, ‘tho there are rare exceptions. Passing SUCKS!!!! If you want the ball, show for the ball—RUN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
    And Mr. McClaren and the coaching team—-at least get these wasters to TRY!!!
    Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, but if we can see the problems, why can’t they????

• 29 toonking // Sep 20, 2015 at 4:11 PM

He is doing no different to what fans do when picking out 1 player, we have had 3 years of fans putting 99% of the team performance in recent years on just 1 man pardew. When referees don’t give a penelty and send players off, it’s that which will dominate a story leading to a defeat.

Alan shearers full quote can clearly state he’s talking about them as a whole

“They are at home and you’d expect them to come out, roll their sleeves up and have a right good go.

“I looked at Newcastle and thought: ‘No chance’.
    “There wasn’t enough there at all.

“Before anybody has a pop at me Watford were better from start to finish.

“They were better all over the park.

“Deeney and Ighalo were superb and dominated the back four.

cisse and thauvin themselves only seem a bigger target because they are stand out points, turning thauvin up in a tuxedo every single match and as our main striker ATM cisse is like a statue.

as for that question
    that is not so much a question it’s a way of stating that shearer himself has put enough effort into his early life to become this great goal scoring geordie whilst geordies like myself and yourself are just the everyday person who watches them.

• 30 Ian Toon // Sep 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Solano- I was not wishing to disrespect you, I was basically saying that I will not be engaging with you should you continue with a political agenda. However, I was seeking to make the point that you had previously said you valued a football debate and in my opinion that would be most welcome because it’s sadly lacking. If that was seen as patronising you I apologise and wish you well.

• 31 peterk3 // Sep 20, 2015 at 5:06 PM

I agree with a lot of posters , keep Graham Carr away from our transfer kitty and don’t buy his recommendations. He has brought some rubbish to this club and wasted a fortune. The new bunch are a glaring example. Stay away from Holland and France..

• 32 giimps // Sep 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Trouble is that we have no height at the back and no pace on the wings, I would play 3 CB and 5 in mf, 2 up front.
    Colback, Anita and sissoko should not be played vs anyone I the prem.
    Carr has his hands tied, no prem league players, nobody over 26, must be cheap and have huge potential and he must produce a list of players , the genius that is charnley has final say o how far down the list we go, and how much we bid for players, combined with our inability to pay the asking price for players , we have too many players still at the club who can’t play football instinctively

previous post: This Man Should Be Very Worried At Newcastle