The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Explosive Comments From Pundit About Newcastle

6:18 pm, Monday, September 21st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 54 Comments

There’s a lot of news today about Newcastle’s dressing room not being quite right – in other words that it’s being poisoned – and it’s supposed to be by just a few players.

But it’s difficult to know whether this is simply made up or if it’s really true.

cheick tiote in training

Cheick Tiote –  identified as a bad egg?

The press are taking their chance to hammer Newcastle, given that we are bottom of the league right now – well second bottom only to Sunderland on goal difference.

They must all be in high spirits at the moment.

John Richardson is a pundit on Sky Sports’ Sunday Supplement and he made these comments yesterday which have been published in the Chronicle today:

“It’s depressing (he’s right there) – depressing for the area. I feel sorry for the fans – 50,000 turn up at Newcastle, they deserve better.”

“Newcastle brought in Steve McClaren, who we all know is a top-class coach. So everything was in order.”

“But I’m afraid that, although some of the buys have been OK  –  there’s something missing in the dressing room.”

“There’s a lot of players there who aren’t up for the cause.” “I know it sounds a bit of a cliché, but most of them are foreign players who don’t really care.”

“They’re just basically mercenaries.” “It’s not their fault, they’ve been asked to go to Newcastle.”

“They’ve gone in there, the dressing room –  I know there’s a few bad eggs in there.”

“Steve McClaren knows who they are, he wants to get them out, but it’s harder to do that because they’re on bloated wages. Basically there’s a lot of poison there.”

Yes I do know who the bad eggs are. I can say who one of them is: Cheick Tiote.”  “Tiote has supposedly been unfit all season.”

“Newcastle keep sending him for checks and scans – nothing ever comes up.”

“He’s obviously not bothered, he doesn’t want to play.” “There’s other players there of the same ilk and until something happens the club is not going to move on.”

“They need players who care about the club. They’ve got Jack Colback, but they haven’t got too many of them.”

“They’ve got too many players who go missing on the big occasion.” “I mean some of the defending against Watford was absolutely pathetic.”

“Newcastle fans are fed up of this. They want action. But nobody can point the finger at Mike Ashley this time.”

“You’ve got to say it’s the football people in charge there. It’s bad recruitment – that’s got to improve.”

“Steve McClaren I think has got to have a bigger say in who comes in because, after all, he’s coaching them.”

If there are bad eggs in the dressing room then Steve McClaren has to get them out and quickly too.

Cheick Tiote has basically has an injured knee since early this year when he returned from the African Cup of Nations.

Send those players out on loan and have Newcastle  pay a portion of their wages if necessary – but it’s going to kill the team spirit if they are left around the place.

If John Richardson is correct – then Steve McClaren has to take some action.

What Richardson says about Mike Ashley is accurate – Mike did what he said he would do this summer – he gave the board £52M to spend and even let the wage bill grow by keeping experienced players at the club.

If the four players we brought in are not successful, then the person Ashley will hold responsible for that will be Lee Charnley as the Managing Director and leader of the Newcastle Board of Directors.

That’s even though the job he did was to go out and get the players in that the rest of the Board – the football people (Graham Carr, Steve McClaren and Bob Moncur)  – had identified.

But the main person who has the most influence on who we go after in the transfer market seems to be  Chief Scout Graham Carr.

One of the rumors as to why Alan Pardew left the club last January – apart from getting away from all the fan abuse – was that he didn’t have a big enough say in the transfers.

He has that at Crystal Palace.

The Newcastle fans are really frustrated, given what we have all had to go through already this year.

This is not good for my health because I’m supposed to be upbeat and positive.

Yeah – right.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Pundit

54 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:20 PM

It’s all gas I tell you!!! There’s no substance to it….when we win the league he’ll rue the day….Harrumph

• 2 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Although I did have my suspicions aboot Tiote…..Hmmm.

• 3 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Ironic that it was McLaren who recommended Tiote to Newcastle….Some might say sadly humorous? Or Steve getting his just desserts?

• 4 toon kk // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM

I’m sure Macca will eventually clamp down on those pi55 up sessions the night before a game.
    Hang overs ain’t a good idea for the moral! !!!

• 5 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Then be bold and pay him off.

Ban him from the training ground if it’s down to him, or anyone else for that matter.

Just do something.

Most fans would respond to bold, yet positive, action.

• 6 Jib // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Here is another John Richardson Toon bombshell

You judge

• 7 usmagpie // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Sorry Tiote is not on the pitch when the players play, so blaming him makes Zero sense. If no one has ever been to St James trust me, when the Toon are singing that should lift players no end. I feel its more to do with the players not liking Cisse as he looks like he does not want to be there, add in the defensive way the team is set up the players are feeling that they a defending the whole time and hoping for an attack to score some goals and maybe just win one. For me playing this way for the last three years I can see there point especially with all these other team starting with two up front and winning games and I am not talking about the top teams on paper but the Leicester’s and Watford of this world. Scoring goals because the forwards have a playing partner. Looking at that maybe Cisse is pissed of due to that formation and needs help. Remember back in the day Cisse and Ba up front we won games didn’t we and he was amazing. If Steve M cannot figure this out he needs to sign up to this blog as the fans know what’s going wrong.

• 8 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Right then Ibiza mate I’ll take the lead on this!!! I can start by pooping in Ashley’s wellies very soon now. Hang on I’ll just get me newspaper……

• 9 toon kk // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Any players that doesn’t want to play for Newcastle should just be sent home.
    There might not be much of a squad left though.

• 10 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Well, I’m exhausted trying to cheer you lot up. I’ve got to realign my flanges and grommet housings now.

• 11 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Do they allow us to play with only 5 men on the pitch toon kk mate?

• 12 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Players that have made the effort so far:
    Janmaat: tries hard, gets out of position but at least has a go
    Colback: I know most don’t rate him but he had an excellent first season with us and in the right setup would be a net positive
    Perez: a very clever player, just might not be big and strong enough for the Prem
    The Wij: looks like a class player who will come good for us
    That’s aboot it so far mates sadly.

• 13 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Ibiza…… We will never know what is going on in Ashley’s head as he has made so many mistakes with our club and will continue to do so.
    One thing we do know is that first and foremost he is a business man and a realist.

I’m sure he would prefer a winning team but he decided a long time age that he’s not prepared to spend recklessly to achieve one

He knows he needs to spend a decent amount to stay in the Pl so is that a business decision, a sporting one or both.

• 14 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Oh I forgot Cancel Mybimbo. I like the looks of him as well. There it is lads, the Fabulous Five.

• 15 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM

But bettys mate Ashley isn’t smart enough to keep us in the Prem. The man is a football dolt. His hirings prove that. He’s is going to take us down again, sure as shootin’ mate.

• 16 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Anyone could put two and two together and get that idea but I have to say it fits Tiote rather too snugly. The notion that there’s poison in the dressing room has probably come from here. And other blogs like it. A couple of us have mentioned it not too long ago so if I was a shoddy hack that would be enough for me to score points on the editorial. I’ll never make it as a shoddy hack though that’s my problem 🙂

• 17 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM

If that’s right about Tiote, then get rid now. We would be better off with him on gardening leave than destroying the team spirit. Same goes to any others of the same mind. This highlights my earlier point about everybody pulling together. The footballing world is loving this and are desperate to see us fail. Some of that, it’s fair to say, stems from Ashley’s row with certain newspapers – who are enjoying trying to get the fans turning on the team – whilst others are saying we, the fans, deserve all we get for the way we treated their man of the moment, Pardew. Maybe they have a point on both issues, but it generally stems from misunderstanding or downright mischief making on their behalf. What it boils down to is they generally dislike us and are like predators at a wounded bull. All things aside, it’s time to stick together and fight back.

• 18 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM

We’ve got to clear out the varmints starting at the top. Roust the rascals. Fong the fools. Mash the maggots…..It’s the only way forward.

• 19 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:45 PM

G2 – have you tried skewing the flange union on the offset socket spline trunnion? Usually helps.

• 20 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:47 PM

I did try that Tsunki, but I hurt my finger. So I just kicked it a bit after that…..

• 21 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM

What’s happened to Cheick then? He was such a warrior for us early on…..

• 22 WWSBRD // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Hmm could be true I suppose, barring the new lads, every player has a right to dislike what NUFC is plenty of fans do after all

Tiote has been here for awhile now and has lived through Ashley’s not bothered attitude and now he sits on the bench because Nufc refused to buy a good CM to partner him and his career has nose dived. He get paid though so he should try on the pitch and training but as for what he says well can’t censor him can just prove him wrong

Newcastle has been stumbling to its knees for years now, not sure why players would be happy there

• 23 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:52 PM

It probably came from Pokat Skunki. He was always telling fibs.

Yep could swear I seen Pokat mention this ages ago.

• 24 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Are we going to get the old “Ashley/Charnley/Carr vetoed Tiote move to Arsenal” yarn dusted off?

• 25 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM

The daily express are usually full of crap to be honest

• 26 NUFC FOR SALE // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:54 PM

The biggest myth at this football and has been for years is that Carr is a great scout.

If Theuvan is his number 1 target for the last 2 years I would investigate if he is getting back handers from agents because he looks total garbage.

Get the captains armband off Collo now and give it to Krull Janmatt or DeJong

Get DeJong Aarons back in the team

Janmatt Lescalles Mbemba Anita
    Wini Sissoko
    Aarons Perez
    De Jong (c)

• 27 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Ed I have an idea. Don’t know if you’ll like it, but here it is. Next article –

“Toon Striker in Crisis – Spectre of Charlie Austin hangs over Cisse”

Has a ring to it I think.

• 28 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Belfast. Honest. ha ha ha

• 29 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Belfast – Are you a long time reader, recent poster? Welcome aboard.

• 30 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Yep long time reader recent poster.

Great blog so it is…

• 31 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Bezzies here Belfast.

• 32 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:59 PM

GeordieTwo….. I also think that Ashley would take us down if it was all left to him.

I think Charnley is a sycophantic arsehole trying to get pound for pound value to impress big Mikey at the expense of a good football team.

If he’s in charge then he has to be held responsible…

Charnley Out!

• 33 Our Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM

John Richardson has no clue, he points to the likes of colback who’s shown no form of last season and points the finger at Tiote because let’s face it he’s foreign. Tiote hasn’t even played a game so how can he be the bad apple. Utter shite from another journo who has no clue.

The thing that annoys me the most is this bullshit notion that British players have got fight in them. If British players had more fight then all of our Britain would do better in national competitions. We don’t well because we don’t have the fight or the technique to be good enough. We aren’t doing well at the minute because mcclaren sets us up wrong and doesn’t have the bottle to drop players who aren’t performing like Colo, Sissoko and Cisse to name a few. He let Abeid go who’d offer more in midfield than Anita and Colback…..more importantly we’ve bought the likes of thauvin with resale in mind and at the detriment of what’s required….improving the defence.

We let Santon go who’d be 10 times better than Haidara who’s an idiot for trying to nutmeg a Watford player wheb he could if just hoofed it out. Tiote didn’t ask him to do that!!

• 34 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Belfast- Out of breath trying to catch up. Down to serious matters. We always allow the new posters to buy a round. Humph!

• 35 nearly // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM

well said ya spot on

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM

WWSBRD, the ridiculous wages should be enough to keep them happy! Tiote has been given chances, but he’s not the player he first pretended to be. He didn’t play because his performances didn’t warrent it, but now he won’t play out of choice. Nothing wrong with him apparently, but he insists he’s injured. There’s so much wrong that simply can’t be repaired overnight – it’s going to take time and patience. And yes, I know it’s been that long since we won anything, I’ve been there every year of it. There’s no question the club have brought it on themselves to an extent, but troublesome players we can do without.

• 37 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Or even humph!

• 38 Mister Tuff // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Article in the Telegraph by Luke Edwards – gist is he blames Penfold and Carr for the present mess. Link:-

• 39 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Right. The proof that Santon is better than Haidara. A failed nutmeg. I know another failed nutmeg….

• 40 SUTTY1978 // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Nufc for sale, theres got to be something dodgy with Carr, it’s either back handers or he’s a lazy git. Virtually all the players we sign or are linked with are all from one agency. Heres a list of their players

Theres also the Berahino story. We were really interested in signing him but dropped our interest when he changed agents. This was widely reported. Why would changing his agent change whether he would be a good signing for us? It wouldn’t, its just Carr only likes dealing with his mates.

• 41 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Richardson did sing the praises of Noble and Tomkins who Pardew wanted to sign. They were outstanding yet again as they were against us. We need a blend of Barnsley on a Monday night types. If you know what I mean!

• 42 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Why don’t they send Tiote to a clinic for a battery of unnecessary and highly unpleasant ‘ test’ procedures to ‘cheick’ how ‘sick’ he really is ha ha that’s what I would do. “Nurse – prepare the probe!”

• 43 nearly // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:13 PM

when a player changes agents it can have a massive effect on lots of things

• 44 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Well that’s where all these stories are going then. They’re heating up the soup for a ‘ dodgy deals at the Toon’ story. Blow the lid off dirty dealings at Barrack Road. That sort of thing
    Might have legs. If I was a scum sucking clangerless mealy mouthed snivelling lying Southern hack I’d probably go there.

• 45 Jib // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Jeepers Mr Tuff — the Telegraph !!!
    Whatever next ?
    If you need any help with the long words Tsunki is a dab hand with a thesaurus .

• 46 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Jeff at least they’re my words eh. Besides last time I struggled with a Thesaurus it didn’t end well. Damaged the knotty pine on my chest of drawers.

• 47 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:19 PM

I don’t think Cisse’s performances are the problem, it’s his attitude off the field that are the concern – if reports are to be believed. Where the reporters are getting their info from must be questioned however. There is a big anti- Newcastle agenda going on with certain newspapers, so everything they say must be taken with a pinch of salt, but Tiote’s refusal to play seems to have some truth about it. By the third window I can see us having a completely different line up than the one that finished last season, but until then we need to stick together and deny the press their wish to see us implode.

• 48 stuart no9 // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:27 PM

why cant we point the finger at ashley ?? of course its his fault , if its not his then who’s is it ? ashley picked the board , they are the ones who can get f”’k all right . every decision ashley makes , is the wrong one .

• 49 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Sutty, that is one very good post my friend. I had no idea how many of our prospective signings had the same connections – not to mention the ones we have signed. It certainly raises questions that need to be addressed. Is he indeed on some kind of commission? I would certainly like to know.

• 50 nufconceandfuturekings // Sep 21, 2015 at 9:12 PM

I made a decision several years ago not to read newspapers, listen to news, and got rid of my telly. It’s liberating, it really is, as the media have got their own agenda, always. It makes me laugh [technically, a cynical titter edged with bitter irony] to hear these pundits stir the already murky waters of rumour and counter rumour. Personal opinion; Toon is being run via cliques, but since when was that new at St James? Oh, for the concept of fan ownership…sadly, I then wake up from my dream…only to face the reality that something was very, very wrong on Saturday against Watford. Yes, the obvious, of course – we were ghastly. But my sense is that there is indeed something badly wrong to the core. That miss by Cisse last Saturday troubles me, and the image of a dummy being spat out might not be a million miles wrong.
    7-1 on Wednesday. Or I may have nodded off again.

• 51 davis_toons // Sep 22, 2015 at 5:00 AM

From the looks of the previous game we may have been let down by some individual performers but we have shown good play and did created some goal scoring chances.

There were times that we might have score a couple of goals and head-started the games and is was not seem many a time during AP long era. This is Positive from the Coaching Staff.

We need to recruit well (the needs) and we should be ok. I have seen some decent football played where we have not seen too many during AP long erra.

We got to remember that formerly in the middle of the park we have got Yohan Cabaye and now we have got NON …yet.

Is either we have a good solid midfielder that can create chances and spray passes OR we have 2 good Wingers that can Score Goals and Create Chances.

Wijnaldum is new and is adapting quite well if he could take on the role and lead the team forward he can be a future Captain material if not in January, is best that we bring in a Bigger and Powerful Center Midfielder.

Someone needs to hold up the ball in the middle of the park. Currently there is NON.

Jack Colback likes to do it at times but he just lack of the physical or technical abilities. He is neither Steven N’Zonzi nor David Silva. (He is like an all rounder Jonas that works hard)

• 52 ToonMatt // Sep 22, 2015 at 7:53 AM

If Tiote isn’t injured and refuses to play then don’t pay him?

• 53 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 22, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Just be careful what you say about Carr getting backhanders lads. I’ve had a warning about that. Choose your words carefully.

• 54 Moonraker15 // Sep 22, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Cisse is crap and if it weren’t for those worldy goals he scored early in his toon career he would have been gone long ago. He is on a good screw and settled at Newcastle so didn’t wanna move in the summer. But he should’ve gone and Austin brought in !!

previous post: McClaren Admits He Will Never Do This At Newcastle