The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Admits He Will Never Do This At Newcastle

3:05 pm, Monday, September 21st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 99 Comments

Newcastle fans are not happy and it seems that there is frustration already building up – and we suppose that’s not too surprising when you think what our fans have gone through this year.

It’s been a complete nightmare with our results in the 25 league games played this year and we have 15 points and over the last 17 games we have only one win.

I wish I hadn’t written that down – now I feel even worse.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – we will not panic

Steve McClaren has said this after the game on Saturday:

“ I can understand the fans` reaction. We are just turning things around and I think the majority of fans understand that.”

“Like we have said to the boys in the dressing room, it`s not a crisis, it`s not a time to panic – it`s too early, and we`d never do that anyway.”

“No matter where you are at what stage, we`d never do that, we have too much experience to know that.”

“Like I`ve said to the players, we have got to stick together. We are going to get a lot of criticism and that can be flying from not just media, but also fans.”

“In that dressing room, we have got to stay tight, we have got to stay calm, we have got to stick together.”

“I know and they know and we know deep down there`s a lot to do, a lot to work on and you don`t do it talking about it, which we can`t do.”

We are getting into a bit of a mess at the start of this season, and starting to dig ourselves into a hole.

But we can surely pull out of it with the players we have, although we cannot linger at the bottom for too long because you can get into a habit of losing games.

When that happens it becomes very difficult to start winning games again because the players have lost their confidence.

Another season fighting relegation is not what we were expecting this season – that’s for sure.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

99 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tinman // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Maybe he will reconsider after two defeats in the next two league matches? Never say never

• 2 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Don’t dwell on it Steve, but let’s hope not talking about it doesn’t mean that we’re not acknowledging the problems.

Accept the problems, deal with the problems, then move on from them. You can’t just skip the first steps.

I do understand part of his job is to not allow the pressure to become too much for the players. However, part of the clubs job is to manage the fans too. I’d say the cracks are starting to show on that front. I’d say they are with the players too.

Try some honesty, it brings togetherness rather than causing further divides, divides which should be pointed out had nothing to do with McClaren, but they are there.

• 3 barkel // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Honesty Ibiza? That’d be some laugh!

• 4 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:22 PM

• 5 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:23 PM

If there are individuals in the dressing room causing rifts and giving off negativity then that is a huge problem.

Mc.did hint that there were things to sort out behind the scenes and he needs to address these problems asap. I think Cisse needs to feel like the main man and idolised to produce his best. He has looked very poor and uninterested and could be making his disillusionment known along with Tiote.

Playing second fiddle to Ba affected his game as has being behind Mitro .

• 6 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Barkel…Hey, people are looking to try something new, why not some honesty 🙂

Tsunki…I don’t even know the meaning of the word.

• 7 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Before I leave, Ibiza. How can you sit there and say you don’t advocate booing and demo’s, when you thought – for some bizarre reason – that I was half the problem for refusing to give up my ST in support of some half baked policy you agreed with? You advocated booing less then a page ago ffs. Make your mind up eh? At least I’m consistent with my beliefs and how I support the team – which is getting off my arse and supporting the team in person. If anybody believes that booing the team helps in any way at all, then they’re simply wrong. It doesn’t and there’s evidence to support this fact. Souness once said that Newcastle have 20k fans and 30k customers who demand instant success. I always thought is was probably the other way round numerically, but either way, he wasn’t far from the truth.

• 8 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Well said Sage previous article regarding Cisse any nore.. It should be obvious his heads down, who knows for what reading but it might be because he’s been scuppered by lack of support. He did the busting a hug to make something for himself thing, but all he got was abuse for being offside so much. I think he knows the ball isn’t coming his way and he can’t be bothered any more.

Now Coloccini is being hammered and it almost looks like the blog is going to carve a statue of the prophet Toonbotherer. All this because he’s had a run of games in which, as usual nobody has done well. Tough being a CB when you are constantly exposed by the lack of midfield cover.

• 9 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Any nore? How did my phone change “previous article” to “any nore”?

• 10 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Oh no wait, I got that right, my phone decided to put the “any nore” in all by itself. Thanks, phone.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Bobby…I am pleased you managed to fit in one more post on what a great fan you are.

Actually, I didn’t ask you to give up your ST. What I asked was for fans to take a stand and show that it could be done.

Not indefinitely. The idea was to try and bring change.

But we can’t do that!

What I advocated was the fans having a voice, rather than saying all they should do is be silent of cheer.

I also went on to say that I don’t think the players need to be our focus, nor should they be receiving the brunt of our displeasure via booing. Don’t let that get in the way though.

Are you incapable of discussing other ways forward without taking offense and bringing how one should support their team in to?

I’m not looking to fight with you. I keep making the point that whilst appearing to be a reasonable poster, you sure do throw out some pretty loaded comments about real fans etc.

As I said on the previous, if your plan hinges on all match attending fans to keep the faith, then you might need to re-think.

Talk about a half baked policy.

Let’s also not forget, there are more than 50,000 Newcastle fans.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:36 PM

silent or cheer is what I meant, but being silent of cheer is what happened for a while.

Tsunki…Technology is conspiring against us. Either that or fat fingers.

• 13 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Bobbybee- I agree with your earlier comment on booing and abuse. Taking that argument to it’s conclusion, booing a player seems so much worse than merely shouting incoherently with frustration, because one is a deliberately personal attack and the other a reaction to a particular incident during the game.

The same can reasonably be applied to posters who come onto the blog with their major objective to abuse a poster rather than engage them in debate. The random compilation of a list of posters you don’t agree with is simply puerile.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:40 PM

To engage in debate, does one not need to be able to hear out an alternative view point?

There is no debate when one side is only saying, I’ve bought in to 3 windows, so anything that happpens from now to then is irrelevant.

Again, not a direct quote, but seems to be where we end up.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM

This three windows rebuilding programme has started very badly. I would not give old man Carr any more money to waste. It’s a Carr crash waiting to happen with him at the recruitment wheel, even if Makro is shouting from the back seat.

I’m not sure what Makro can bring to recruitment in any event when it’s not his main focus. Has he shown great recruitment skills previously?

• 16 toon kk // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Release 80% of our squad and start over with eager players that actually want to play for Newcastle.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Blackley…Nothing new to add, but I liked your use of “Carr crash”.

• 18 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:50 PM

In an ideal world ( ha ha ha yes I know) Mr Mac should be endowed with more autonomy on transfers owing to the slip shod incompetence of the ongoing arrangement of Charnley tasking Carr to scout players for McLaren to bang into the irregular holes holes the squad. In an ideal world, he should be able to point out the obvious “Right, that does not work at all -still- and if you really don’t want to play Leeds next year, here’s who I need”. In an ideal world, of course. 😐

• 19 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Blackley………who do you suggest handles recruitment then?

• 20 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Ibiza I’ve been trying to figure out how to work “love Lee jubb Lee” into a script but it just isn’t happening. Suggestions on a postcard please to :-

Somewhere on holiday at the minute,

I think it would do Mr Charnley a lot of good if he signed his morale-boosting report emails off with ” Love, Lee” though. 🙂

• 21 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:56 PM

I see so many fans identifying Aarons as the answer. I love to see a good left footer. They bring a different dimension to a team. But young Aarons is very raw. He’s shown next to nothing. His passing, creativity, delivery and reading of the game is poor. He has a little bit of trickery that I don’t believe even he fully trusts. He just looks like a complete rookie with quite a bit of pace. If he were to get a run of games, my belief is that he’d very quickly fall out of favour. Why do so many think he’s good enough? What have you seen? Thauvin is much more ready but the more I see of him, the more I think he’s not worth half what we paid.

• 22 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Tsunki…Don’t get me started on Lee’s letters.

It’s only Monday!

• 23 Wandering Geordie // Sep 21, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Iv stayed tight lipped and ot posted as frequently butthis is the way I see this…. This prediciment we are currently in reminds me of Van Gaals appointment last season where the Mancs were a complete shower.Now before you say we how can you compare?, What I am saying is that I think we will come good but we will have some very dissapointing results..I am sticking my neck out and predicting a turnaround in the next 5 games…..Patience

• 24 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Recruitment is probably the most important ingredient now to be successful.

A lot of big spending clubs such as Spurs and Liverpool have wasted fortunes without repercussions for the shopper. Then clubs like Swansea, Watford and West Ham seem to have spent wisely.

There weren’t many on here saying we had spent unwisely before the first game only that we needed more investment . Maybe we have just got completely left behind due to years of miserly behaviour when others were quietly improving. If that is the case then we need to spend again or go down. Simple as that.

• 25 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM

With a new manager coming in I didn’t have high expectations immediately. Just the sense of progression over time would be success compared to the stagnation of the last few years. Players performing without fear would make such a difference to the side and indirectly to the fanbase. Pardew’s time here suggests that Macca is virtually unsackable. Ashley has shown that he’s slow to pull the trigger. A bare minimum of staying clear of relegation will guarantee his safety from the boot. I viewed Macca as someone who wants to make his mark on the club, who sees the need for a long-term project to achieve that . Hence the root and branch undertaking.
    We haven’t performed at a satisfactory level for years. We haven’t just become a poor team. The difference is that the so called experts have decided that promoted teams are to good to go down. It’s early doors be patient- it helps if we can start winning at SJP. Fans do make a difference – just think back to the West Ham last game of the season.

• 26 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:08 PM

The man charged with selecting the team on a match day should be the head of the recruitment team. We should spend our first tranche of any transfer kitty on recruitment and scouting. That’s why it’s so important to get the best manager possible, someone with a track record of identifying player talent. I wouldn’t trust Charnley or old man Carr to identify that man.

Ashley recognises the buck stops with him. But Ashley doesn’t appear to have a clue. I’m all for Ashley leaving but only if there’s a credible alternative waiting in the wings. There’s no point trying to undermine Ashley because it just harms the club.

• 27 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM

NUFC Chief Recruitment Officer………… Blackley in.

• 28 bladeuser // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Pc sheep brigade please don’t boo it’s not nice Pathetic fans what do u want
    Fans to do applaud them off after losing not once but time and time again in other country. S they would get a lot worse than boos if u do not want to boo then don’t but don’t tell people who do what u think they should do as it’s got f@@@ all to do with u
    Just carry on applauding your hero.s off into the championship then wonder where they p@@@ off to while u hand over your money again to cashley
    S Mac out soon

• 29 terencelim // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Ashley OUT.

• 30 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Private companies are in competition with each other all the time. The ones that are managed the worst are the first to go to the wall. It doesn’t matter how big the brand. You can’t take your eye off the ball for a minute.

• 31 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Aye Ashley Out! 🙂

• 32 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Got a moments reprieve. Ibiza, you change like the weather. You did accuse me of being part of the problem simply because I refused to boycott. To deny it now says so much about you. You also agreed with booing – how quick the change. Everybody there has a right to boo if they so choose. They pay their money, they do as they see fit. Boo away, just don’t expect it to do any good. I’ve lived all over the country, from Aldershott in my army days, to Notts, Chesterfield and Keighley in more recent years, yet I have always managed to get to support the lads regardless of the travelling involved. Am I proud of that? I am. Do I expect everyone to show that sort of commitment? It’s their choice, not mine. Do as you see fit.
    Ian, if you care to look back, you’ll see that every time I post anything, ibiza has to disagree. I seldom respond to his posts unless it in response to mine, because I got bored with him the minute he said I was part of the problem becauae I refused to give up my ST to support his agenda, which I don’t agree with. It’s easy for the likes of him to sit miles away and contribute nothing to NUFC except to diss real, match going fans – who pay good money for his abuse. He may well be a fanatic about the toon, despite his opinions, but he is not a supporter because that title is for match going fans – those who support the team. If supporters wish to boo, what can I say? Other than it doesn’t help. People sitting miles away, telling me that I, someone who has bothered to get off his arse for fifty years, including when we were really bad, am not a real fan or I would be boycotting the games, can go f@ck themselves. If my loyalty upsets people, I honestly couldn’t care less.

• 33 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Iantoon….. Players playing without fear is exactly what’s required. The problem is the cost of relegation is an all consuming consideration and creates fear and over cautious football. Once the losing streak sets in, the fear is all too prevalent.

• 34 stuart no9 // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:24 PM

bobbybee—— instant success ?? 1968 since our last trophy . not really instant is it?? 47 bloody years .

• 35 LGFUAD21 // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Ibiza in response to earlier.

Derby had the right players for all positions and more balance to them.

They had proper wide forwards.

Will Hughes for creativity and some players that would get stuck in.

We are just a train wreck on so many levels.

• 36 Munster Mag // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Ibiza, finally people are beginning to see my point of view about Carr that I have been banging on about for ages. The Telegraph lists him as “guilty” today. I appreciate that he doesnt have an open chequebook and the players he chooses are not always hin fitrs cloice, but many other clubs buy good players without daft money, and choose good managers to mould teams. Sadly i think we will be bottom 6 unless Mitro , or someone , starts getting goals, The weaker teams have improved with good scouting for pacy players, and throw their nets to south america and elsewhere, and choose managers from a broad pool. I feel Carr has already plotted who we will be buying in the next 2 windows. I believe his influence stopped us looking beyond SMC and engaging fully with continental managers. He has an inordinate amount of influence at the club I have no doubt that he will continue to invest in guys like Thauvin ( sorry but that boy is not quick enough, so i hope he has other tricks) , Anita, Santon etc instead of players that guys like Pardew knew were needed. Every purchase is a gamble, but we have ended up with a sack of attitude problems, slow mo’s and general crap.

• 37 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Betty – Yes. The fans can help at SJP. Macca also needs to show he can get more from the players who underperformed last season.

• 38 Munster Mag // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Bobbybee, I remember the flirt with Div 3 so well, pinned to a radio in south london when the screamer went in v Portsmouth, and managed to get to the Grimsby game the night we were promoted. My first live game was Spurs away in London. Lost 4-0 i think, Waddler killed us. Geordies aal awa , and one half pissed Irish student starting songs. An nnn and an e and a wubbleyew C….:) Great memories, but i am very fearful for now, Funnily enough, Mitro could become a real club leader if he cops on, even though he is a 20 yr old headcase 🙂

• 39 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Oh it’s the way you tell them Skunki…..

• 40 Munster Mag // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM

…along with god knows how many other games in crap english towns! 🙂 I dont think the Toon Arny existed then as a name ??

• 41 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Don’t knock it Belfast, my fans love it. Both of them

• 42 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Who Pokat and yourself ?

• 43 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Bobby…You got bored of me? I do wish you’d told me, rather than pretending to be open for reasonable debate.

I’m not changing anything. If anything changes, it’s in response to your wording.

For example.

I didn’t ask you to give up your ST. I asked fans to boycott.

I said that I didn’t ask “you”, as “you” are a new poster and from what you’ve said, were only a reader at that time. Similar folk to you, okay, fine.

I also agreed, at the time, that Sky subscribers are part of the problem. Any one who contributes and does nothing is part of the problem. An unavoidable truth. There is an argument to be made for quitting though, as you are no longer to effect change. As has been discussed on here previously.

I’m not trying to jump on every post you make. As you have pointed out, we have different views and thinking, it’s expected therefore, that on a blog for discussion, that you and I would be on differing ends of the debate.

I would have thought that healthy for the blog and it’s debate.

I think you need to re-read my comments on booing. Then my subsequent comments clarifying my original comment. The fact you still don’t get it says something about you (see, we can both do that).

“his abuse” Wow.

“it’s easy for him” Another wow. Let me be clear, there has been nothing easy about my change of stance towards NUFC and I’d love nothing more than for things to improve.

Shall we cut the crap and get back to debating?

• 44 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Working on this theory that it wasn’t McClarens decision to give perma hair a new deal. It was Lee Charnley.

McClaren blowing smoke up perma hairs ass after the event was nothing more than a saving face exercise.

More will be added to this theory in due course….

• 45 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Munster…I don’t question that he has responsibility or that he should be made accountable.

More than anything I would like clarification on that exact issue. How much sway does he have and why.

If this all boils down to Ashley trusting Carr over anyone else, then again, I question this leader of industries ability to make the calls to take this club forward.

• 46 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Carr can’t go on indefinitely. The scouting network is massively important as several managers indicated at the weekend. Adding Mc to the board is obviously to give him some input on transfers which is a concession on this front at last. However he can’t coach and scout so we’ll need to find a good scout at some point.

• 47 Munster Mag // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Ibiza, he has all the sway, end of. He is the only footmall man in the top ecelons. He decides so much. He needs to go or change IMO.

• 48 Tsunki // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Belfast – yeah, So?

There is the point that the Grim Reaper may make a recruitment change regarding Mr Carr in the not too distant future. Not nice, but there it is.

• 49 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Munster…Good to see debate is still alive on the blog.

He has all the sway, end of. Nothing to see here folks.

We’re doomed!

• 50 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:05 PM

It is time to panic Steve!!! Aahhhhh!! Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!

• 51 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Take a close look at who you work for Steve. Then tell me with a straight face it’s not time to panic…..Aahhhhh!!! I’ve got me Thong of Trepidation on now!!!

• 52 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Who will pick the new head scout when Graham leaves? Mike that’s who…..Aaaahhhhh!!!

• 53 lochinvar // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Costa has been charged By FA so interesting to see if he’s banned for our game
    And Advocatt says he will step down at at a mackems for someone better….just too soon for McLaren. Wonder if Carver will apply ?

• 54 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:17 PM

I see somewhere between 9 and 11 points coming from our next 10 games. That would give us 11 to 13 points from 16 games!!! Aaaahhhhhh!!!!!

• 55 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Can Sunderland keep up with us when we set that kind of blistering pace? I think not! We’ll be at the bottom of the pack in no time……

• 56 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Graham looks fine Tsunki mate. He’s perfectly well I tell you… does Mike unfortunately…….

• 57 bettyswallocks // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Ashley obviously feels comfortable with Carr and Charnley to run the club as a profit making entity. I’m sure Carr has scouted players that we didn’t buy for financial reasons rather than footballing ones. The only purchase that Carr seemed adamant about is Thauvin and the jury’s still out on him.

Now we have Schteve brought in who I assume attached some conditions on transfer budgets and input before signing. Due to the narrow escape last season Ashley had to unlock the purse strings and spend what was for him a fair amount.

The concern now is that Ashley with his buy cheap sell dear mentality may well think that if Pardew managed to keep us up with a minimum spend , then why should he spend big amounts if he can’t be guaranteed success.

I do think McClarens intentions are more ambitious than just being Ashley’s puppet but he’s got a backlog of deadwood to clear up before he can implement his own ideas.

• 58 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Five wins in our last 25 this calendar year isn’t it? Yes mates we’re deep in the doodoo!!!!!

• 59 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:27 PM

I’m also planning to start wearing me Cloak of Consternation soon……

• 60 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM

We’re in the doodoo, we’re in the doodoo
    We’ve got a lot of what it takes to get screwed
    We’re in the doodoo, the skies are gloomy
    Old man Depression, you’re for us here too!
    Sing along to the tune of We’re in the Money mates….

• 61 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Doodoooooo!!!! Aaahhhhh!!!

• 62 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:37 PM

I’m starting to come to terms with the fact we’re not going to win the league this. But I was looking forward to some good entertaining footy!!!! So far I’m verrrry disappointed!!!!! And it’s hurting morale. People are miserable. Shaking their heeds. Worrying about Sunderland overtaking us….sleepless nights….this can’t go on!!!!…………Can it??

• 63 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Betty…I suppose that’s the big underlying point.

Has Ashley changed the mentality of the club from a profit making entity in to a sporting one?

You seem to think that McClaren still has his work cut out to convince Ashley of this. In which case, nothing has really changed, other than perhaps the ability of the manager and budget for players (which has increased for every PL club).

I was never one to put all our woes, or even the majority of them down to Pardew (not to say he didn’t have a long list of faults), so I’m still unsure as to why we’d expect change if the main ethos haven’t.

Either the club has direction, that everyone is buying in to, or we don’t.

I don’t think many people mind giving them time, but the evidence is far from convincing.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Ibiza mate, you’re far too calm under the circumstances….Run aboot and scream Aaahhhh!! with me mate. Let’s lead from the front!!! If we wait too long we’ll just be 2 more dead sexy men screaming Aaaahhhhh!!!!

• 65 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM

G2…I worry that may already be the case.

But can I not be calm and sexy?

• 66 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:47 PM

BandB@15. I’m not sure about his previous recruitment success/failure, but I do think that if he decides ultimately who is brought in, then he lives or dies by his own making. The problem at the moment is that it’s too easy for those upstairs to pass the buck when it goes wrong. If Macca could say, ‘I want him, him and him – go get them,’ then if it doesn’t work, we all know exactly who to point the finger at. Currently, it’s too easy to blame those around them, rather than take responsibility themselves. Carr has, to be fair, picked out some gems in the past, but he’s aso picked some donkeys. Without having access to the success rate of other scouts, it’s difficult to say how he’s fared overall, but I don’t agree he should hold the final say on who we bring in. At the end of the day, it’s Macca who has to work with these players on a daily basis and his future depends on how successful he is.

Ibiza, you didn’t ask me to give up my ST, you asked fans to boycott? Why should we? (And yes, you did say I was part of the problem by renewing my ST). Why woud I, someone who has been there through worse than this, boycott because somebody in another country who doesn’t go to games says so? Who do you think you are? It truly is comical. You agree with buying some raggy shirt that has NOTHING to do with NUFC, rather than buy one from the club. So, you don’t go to games, you don’t agree with buying club merchandise because, in your blinkered opinion it’s putting money into Ashley’s pocket. You’d rather listen to people who tell you what you want to hear – massive support for the Ashley out protests – rather than hear the truth that they never mustered more than 3-400 people. So what actual support do you offer NUFC? Doesn’t sound like much to me and most certainly doesn’t give you the right to insult fans who do. And if you don’t think that calling fans who have stuck with the team through thick and thin – mainly thin – part of the problem, isn’t abusive or insulting, then you’re very, very wrong.

• 67 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:48 PM

The club is cursed…That’s it, we’re cursed. How do we get rid of a curse like this?? Do we all go to Stonehenge and chant at midnight under the next full moon? Does anyone have any Druid mates???

• 68 Big Pappa Cissé // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Anyone else sick of the Pardew love in the southern media are giving him since he joined Palace .

They all seem to have forgotten him head-butting players and shoving officials now he is the white knight of London FFS .

• 69 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Well…..ermmm I suppose you could try that Ibiza mate…But if you get tired of that I’ll be out here screaming Aaahhhhhh!!! until we win a few….

• 70 Jib // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM

I have a feeling that Russell Cushing will take over Carrs role . He left the Toon when Chris Mort came in in 2007 , and went on to become a football agent setting up his own agency

The Russell Cushing Agency Limited, Ramshope Lodge, Catcleugh, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, NE19 1TZ

I’m sure he has been involved in many of our transfers since and mentored Lee Charnley in his time .

• 71 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM

That Bobbybee writes a fine post. The blame situation should always rise to the man at the top. He’s presiding over this mess and has done for 8 1/2 years now. He’s the one who hired people like Kinnear, Carver as head coach. and Llambeezee. He needs to accept the blame. The buck stops with him…

• 72 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I think I’d rather have Peter Cushing….

• 73 Jib // Sep 21, 2015 at 5:58 PM

• 74 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM

I’ve expressed the exact same sentiment to Ibiza. You find it comical. I find it bewildering.

• 75 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Bobby…Have we clarified that I never asked you to give up your ST then?

Boycott…as in, not turn up. Stage a protest. Different from giving up your ST. Surely you see that?

Yes, I did say that. I still do, many times. Part of the problem. There are many parts. Perhaps a better way to word it is, a part of the problem that we as fans have more of a say on?

I didn’t ask people to do it because I said so. No matter what you think of me personally, this is not about me, it’s about the club.

I didn’t lead the calls, but I agreed with them, so stop trying to make it about me, or my location.

I couldn’t care less how many people did turn up, or how many you thought turned up, at the time I said it didn’t matter, 50- 50,000, I still maintain that.

Do I think leaving in droves forever will help the club? No. I’ve said as much.

However, do I think people turning up week after week, afraid to say anything that doesn’t fit the idiots guide to being a fan, no matter what, also doesn’t help the club.

Sometimes we must sit tight and stand together. That is what I was calling for.

The fans to stand up against Ashley to let him know we’re not happy with his handling of our club. Which from memory, not many were. Even the match attending fans.

What was the point? Some unity, some belief.

Do you really believe that by me saying that I think people who continued to attend were part of the problem is abusive? Insulting? Fine, I can go along with that. As I have said, it isn’t intended that way. I can’t imagine it’s nice to hear, a bit like it’s not nice to hear that people think my views are irrelevant as I don’t live in the country. Seems pretty closed minded thinking to me.

Yours blinkerdley,

• 76 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM

There’s a lot of unnecessary scragging going down on here mates. Let’s just admit we have a very disturbing situation going on at the club. We have an owner we’ve never trusted, the summer spend doesn’t seem to have fixed anything, and now the journo’s have descended on us with glee again. McLaren now has to prove himself and his methods. A few wins and everything will calm down and the journo’s will go pick someone else’s bones…..

• 77 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Let’s all find some common ground here. Can i not be both comical and bewildering?

• 78 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:07 PM

I see you more as whimsical and bemusing Ibiza mate…..:shock:

• 79 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Bobbybee- Over the years of watching football I had always judged managers on results and their dealings in the transfer market. With Ashley it has become somewhat more complicated. Under normal circumstances a manager with £ 45m + spent would have to get results. But does Carr have far to much influence for this type of thinking to apply?
    What Munster didn’t say was that Luke Edwards writing in the Daily Telegraph said ” it is not the new boys who are to blame, it is the eight players who started who’ve served up these sorts of dire performances far too often.

• 80 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Let me try that again 😯

• 81 toon kk // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Once we’ve hit the magical 10th game and start to judge Macca, it might not be nice, still without a win (which you can’t blame Macca for) im sure he’ll ask for five more.
    Maybe someone should tell our players the season has started, the summer break is over now.

• 82 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:09 PM

G2…Easy or this list will get out of control…

• 83 Hail Wor Ashley // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Like a mallard, serene above the surface, going like the clappers beneath the surface.

• 84 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Does HWTF mean Hey what the f*ck? Ibiza mate? Just for clarities sake….

• 85 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Thank you Hail mate. Yes that’s what I meant Ibiza.

• 86 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Pardew hasn’t had enough time to derail the train at CP. If he was doing badly, he’d be saying.”It’s a scenario where it’s too early to judge me, for sure. Will I get it right given time? Yeah, for definite, I’ve shown that. It takes resilience in these situations, Wherever I’ve been, I’ve shown that, 100%.”

• 87 GeordieTwo // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Oh and another thing….you lot think beermonkey and I have given up on raising dosh for the Mentally Handicapped Owner’s Fund don’t you? Never!!! Never I say!!! We setting off for the next leg of the World Wheeled Bobsled Tour in Spain shortly. I want to see some of you down there egging us on!!!! Harrumph…..

• 88 toon kk // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:20 PM

Your right when you say that the club is cursed, but heading to stone henge is a long trip, so how about around the angel of the north?
    Heard MA has invited Sky to televise our ritual, he just wants a couple of weeks to finish that giant SD scarf to hang around that big angel.!!!!

• 89 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Well an irritable, cantankerous, Solano engaging with me yesterday, whilst being slippier than an eel that had just fallen into a bucket of KY jelly, insisted that under Ashley’s ownership it was all about politics. He was adamant that discussion should be on the politics of NUFC and not the football. Not with me in any debate – SJP should become a fortress with the backing of around 50,000 fans getting behind the team. It’s easy supporting a winning side.

• 90 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Luke Edwards is late to the party. He’s picking up on the Carr criticism.

He says it’s not the new boys to blame. I disagree. They’re all in it. The new boys, judged together, have been a mixed bag. None is standing out as a success. So far, Mitrovic has been a hindrance to the cause. Edwards might be saying as much before long.

• 91 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Ibiza, NO, we haven’t established that because you said, quite categorically, that you thought I was part of the problem because I refused to boycott and continued to buy my ST. If you now wish to deny that, then that’s fine. You not only said it, but you repeated it. When I said I found it insulting, you replied that you were sorry if I took it that way, but it was what you genuinely believed. Now you deny it. Why? I say what I believe and stick with it until my mind is changed by circumstances. How can we have proper debate when you change your beliefs so quickly and deny ever having said it? Make your mind up, then we might be able to debate.

• 92 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Blackley- Are Palace punching above their weight?

• 93 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Blackley- Hardly late to the party, he’s been covering the toon for seasons. He was banned by the club for being to outspoken on developments under Ashley. He’s second only to George Caulkin in terms of coverage of all things toon.

• 94 Ibizatoon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Bobby…I will re-read our exchanges today and see where this mistake has been made.

Since you have been on the blog, yes, I have said directly to you, that you were part of the problem.

Earlier, i think you were talking about me at the time, in which case, no, I didn’t, as you weren’t here for me to address directly.

By association…sure.

I’m not denying what I’ve said before. It’s there in black and white. I get the impression there has been an understanding, perhaps I haven’t been clear in what I’m saying, but don’t paint me to be someone who changes his beliefs constantly, as it’s just not true (otherwise we wouldn’t be continuing to have the same debates).

Just relax. Despite what appears to be your belief, I’m not here to attack you. Just discuss our views on NUFC.

Anyway, you get a break now. Dinner time.

• 95 nufc 11 // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM

When all a club does is buy players that use the move for a stepping stone your asking for trouble. Did macca even look at the tapes from last season and if he did and still gave Colo a new deal and retained him as capo he deserves all this the more mbeama plays with him the more he’ll pick up his bad habits second goal Saturday confirmed this.

• 96 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Blackley- I have only watched the full game on TV. You will be able to speak more authoritatively about the players working hard. Cisse, Haidara, Coloccini were a waste of …..! For me I thought Wijnaldum didn’t start playing until the second half. I had thought a few weeks ago that he just was not fit- he was good value and very much involved when we were chasing the game. Mbemba is the one player who looks as if he’s taken to the PL- good against West Ham, a game I did see. Thauvin was good in parts and has taken unfair criticism imo.

• 97 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Bobbybee- Shall I just not bother sending you football related posts?
    You seem preoccupied ! I am going in 15 minutes.

• 98 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Stay for another pint Ian go on go on

• 99 Belfast // Sep 21, 2015 at 6:56 PM

There’s a new article I’ll see you there 🙂

previous post: Poll – Can Newcastle Beat Sheffield Wednesday In League Cup?

next post: Explosive Comments From Pundit About Newcastle