The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mature Comments From This Newcastle Player

9:40 am, Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

We are hoping that Siem de Jong can start to do a job for Newcastle this season, and start both scoring goals and making goals for the team.

He had a decent run-out in the second half on Saturday when he was brought on at half-time for the ineffectual and out-of-form Papiss Cisse.

And Siem is likely to get a start tomorrow night against Sheffield Wednesday in the 3rd round of the League Cup.

Siem De Jong Northampton+fc09iJdaEfrl

Siem de Jong against Northampton Town

Siem is an experienced player and in his interview today he has shown maturity as he speaks about what is happening at Newcastle right now – which is painful for Newcastle fans.

This is some of what the Dutchman has said:

“We want to win as much as everybody else.”  “We shouldn’t get sucked in too much. We need to keep sticking together.”

“We’re only a couple of months together with this group and the new manager and coaching staff, and we need to figure out the way we need to play.”

“We’re in that process now, and we’re not getting the results we want.” “We got a good result at Man United away, but we’re not playing as we want to play. We know that.”

“We’re going to work hard together as a team.” “We said if we get a goal, anything can happen.” “In the second half, it could have gone the other way. We knew when we got the goal, we had to fight for it.”

“They were defending with a lot of players, and coming out on the counter-attack.” “With a little bit more luck, it could have been 2-2, especially with my chance with the header and the shot with which I couldn’t get the power in.

“I was disappointed with that.” “For me, it was difficult to get in the No 10 position and get on the ball.” “On the other side, you want to get in the box when the ball comes.”

“You want to be close to the striker. It’s difficult for me … you maybe don’t get as many touches as you want.”

“If I’d had a little bit more luck, I could have got a goal, but I didn’t get it.”

All we need in one of these game sis some luck – we could have done that at Old Trafford with that stoppage-time breakaway when it was 0-0 and we had a three on one break – but still couldn’t score.

Strange things happen in football and in life.

All Newcastle need now is some luck and some good maturity and leadership in the dressing room from players like Siem de Jong.

We need a win tomorrow night against the Owls to raise the confidence of our players.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Sheffield Wednesday In League Cup?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Would You Accept A Newcastle Relegation To Win A Cup This Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Recruitment · Siem de Jong · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rotonda heights // Sep 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM

The ironic thing for the fat controller is that we’ve ended up paying way over the odds for some of our long term targets and completely defeated the purpose of our scouting system, ie to find gems before they become big news.

• 2 Jib // Sep 22, 2015 at 9:43 AM

• 3 Jib // Sep 22, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Rotonda are you totally stupid or do you just help the thickos out when they are busy ?

Are you incapable of seeing the total contradiction in the drivel you just posted ?

• 4 bettyswallocks // Sep 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Rotunda……. Good point.

• 5 Jib // Sep 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Ha ha ha

• 6 bettyswallocks // Sep 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Rotunda…….. Makes you wonder why they didn’t get snapped up by bigger clubs once exposed.

• 7 bettyswallocks // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Jib…. You seem a bit deranged this morning, are you feeling ok?

• 8 jimmysmith // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Play him! Captain of Ajax, can’t get a game for us, give me a break.

• 9 Rotonda heights // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM

I find abusive people such as yourself generally harbour a lot of personal angst.

Your psychosis, ie a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality could be due to any number of conditions ranging from penis envy to mummy didn’t love me syndrome.

Maybe you were bullied at school. It’s anyone’s guess really. Who’s to say.

But here we are at 10.00 in the morning and instead of having a reasoned conversation you are already projecting your dark feelings of inadequacy on others.

No doubt you’ll later treat us to a myriad of google researched facts to fill your lonely days.
    I don’t claim these as gospel but just as an example it was widely reported we could have had Wijnaldum for 5M and Thauvin for 3M a few years back.

Why that should trigger an overly aggressive rant from you, rather than a productive counter argument is happily not my problem.

Anger management maybe the way to go for you. Just a thought . . . seriously! Have a nice day. There, it’s not that hard is it. Smile and the world smiles with you. Turn that frown upside down.

• 10 Malackay // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM

I’m not sure NUFC can afford the luxury of a 10 in the Premier League at the moment. If we play a 10, we won’t play 2 upfront and equally it slows the pace of attacks down. I think we need to give 4-4-2 or of 4-3-3 and put this 4-2-3-1 to one side for now as it’s effectively being executed as a 4-5-1 anyway.

My team to play Chelsea would be:

—————- Krul—————–

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Colback

Sissoko Anita Gini Aarons

——– Perez—–Cisse———–

—————- Krul—————–

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Colback

—– Sissoko— Anita— Gini —–

Perez—— Cisse——– Aarons

• 11 jimmysmith // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Too impoverished to find room for Sim De Jong. How duff! I’m not at all sure it’s true. We’ve barely seen him.

• 12 Malackay // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Jimmy, I’m a fan of SDJ too. Not sure where he can fit at the minute though. He doesn’t appear an out and out 9 and not sure we have room for 10. I’m far from writing him off though. His composure in the final 3rd is something that we lack at the minute,

• 13 jimmysmith // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Yeah, I accept it’s most often been tricky finding a functional 11. Other sides seem to generally have less trouble than us sorting it out..

Recruitment policy?

• 14 Malackay // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Recruitment policy has no balance. Like most, I was happy with our signings but they needed to be complemented with a proven CB and CF in their prime (27-30 – my suggestions were Jonny Evans and Austin), otherwise you have our current situation which is team last season + 5 players with no prem experience which puts too much pressure on them in their inaugural season and is way too big of a risk.

• 15 toon kk // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Strange thing is 50,000 have been turning up to watch dross for a long time and quite happily parting with their cash, season tickets are renewed season after season.
    So why complain? Surely they knew what was coming. Talk about being sucked in by Ashley.

We All know that we have the worst team in the premier league. Poor sell on value signings have eventually caught up with the club.
    Pathetic people trying to run a football club.

• 16 davetoon // Sep 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Doesn’t matter who we play up front if the midfield isnt going to get forward to make runs and create space and opportunities. The only players getting forward are the full backs who then bomb in a cross to Cisse who has at least 3 defenders marking him

• 17 Malackay // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Toon KK – I’m not sure that’s right. we were getting 52k every week a few years back but the attendance on Saturday was 47k – granted that’s still a lot, however it is a drop of 10%.

Whilst I understand your distain for Ashley, I think it should be seen as a testament to our fans’ loyalty that even 47k turn up given the level of quality and effort, but I do think it should be applauded rather than criticized. At the end of the day we are supporters and should take pride in supporting our team regardless of the custodian.

• 18 spitfire_ // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM

If only I care what people say… sadly, I believe more on the actions.

• 19 toon kk // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM

There’s a good write up in “the sun” news paper today about the north east clubs, definitely sums us up and recognises our flaws.

• 20 hibbit // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:21 AM

toon kk have you got a link ?

• 21 toon kk // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I understand people wanting to support their club and turning up to watch the game; but there has to be at least some excitement.
    What do people get for their money?
    Getting beat week after week?
    Living on hope, then blaming the manager for the wrong set up?

• 22 John Tudor // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM

judge me after ten games
    well the black caps are being donned

• 23 Ian Toon // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Ibiza- I have written on countless ocassions about not booing our players and that the only reason I am not currently a ST holder is because I don’t presently live in toon.

It’s not only in football that you might think a line has been crossed and that you should make a stand. However, I have to say that it’s not your place to suggest to fellow toon fans to give up their ST or to boycott games. It’s surely a personal decision based on ones experiences and emotions of the football club. At the time of the last boycott the loud mouthed gobs’s coming on here had simply the opposite impact.

George Caulkin, a life long toon fan, is fond of saying that Ashley owns Newcastle, but he is not Newcastle. He also reminds you of generations of your family and friends and the memories of following and supporting the toon. Old and young the club is inside you, with that identity, that belonging, that loving and more often than not that hurting. This is not a call to arms but I hope it provides some reflection and a better understanding of the likes of Bobbybee and his relationship with the toon.

I have to say living out of the region, it is far easier to shut out the football setbacks and get on with life without constant reminders of happenings at SJP. But I am not a political animal it’s always been the football craic and flying solo which i find worthwhile on here. I felt compelled to give my viewpoint but didn’t want to intervene in your lengthy discourse last night. Indeed as I did with Solano on Sunday. Whether you choose like him to take umbrage it’s up to you.

• 24 stuart no9 // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Malacky @16——- the flip side to your comment is , if so many supporters had not turned up over the years , would ashley still be owner?? personally i dont think he would . Feeding him year after year has only encouraged him to stay as he knows what a good thing hes on, so IMO, i think if wehad the balls to stay away we could have seen a different NUFC today.

• 25 Munster Mag // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM

The sooner Ashley gets rid of Carr ( or straightens him out ) for someone who doesnt get most of his players from the same network/agency and goes beyond looking at managers like SMC and looks at players with real pace and functionality, the better. It really is painful viewing watching clubs like Watford using their brains and casting the managerial net wide, and the recruitment net wider. We need to stop getting hung up on english players with prem experience ( although we need austin now ) because teams like Leicester and Watford and passing us by with their pace, whilst Carr fannies around with pretty footballets like Marveaux, Amalfitano, Santon, Thauvin, Anita etc . Sadly i feel like a hypocrite here, because i said at the start of the season that Anita would be key to us. The annoying thing about Anita is that if we played a team like Ajax ( dream on ) in europe, he and de jong would look class! Better players around them i guess at Ajax or is it just the pace and power of our overrated league ??

• 26 Ian Toon // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Our average crowd can still amount to £ 20 million more than Stoke or Swansea over a season. But broadcast income will soon reach more than £ 100 million a PL club. Ashley is not dependent upon STsales.

• 27 cyprus // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Siem, mate, you are equally to blame with a bunch of others, though I do sympathise re your injuries.

We bought you and a few others in hope that you would be leading the team, creating chances, scoring, dominating teams. In truth, it hasn’t been happening. I for one have seen many encouraging signs, if you want I’ll give you some ideas re creating more chances and scoring 🙂 For one, it helps to put some sting in shots 😉

• 28 John Tudor // Sep 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM

But is Arshley dependent on noocarstle

• 29 hibbit // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM

in a word john.. NO… he dosen’t give two hoots

• 30 Ian Toon // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM

ALAN PARDEW headed down the tunnel at St James’ Park following victory against Everton on December 28 last year, informed his Newcastle paymasters that he wished to leave and discussions began about the compensation package that would take him to Crystal Palace.

When, two years earlier, Graham Carr emailed his resignation to the Newcastle board, owner Mike Ashley began a fight to keep the now 70 year old chief scout.

Everyone is expendable at St James’ Park – everyone that is, except for Carr, the club’s de facto director of football.

Tomorrow night at Upton Park, after five and a half years in the position, London will see the team that Graham built.

Nine of Newcastle’s 10 outfield players will be those scouted and sign under the watch of Carr, the captain Fabricio Coloccini being the only exception.

It is a staggering show of faith from Ashley. Carr, has outlasted Chris Hughton, who handed him his role, initially as chief scout, Alan Pardew, with whom there were differences over the players he signed, Joe Kinnear and Derek Llambias.

It was the appointment of Kinnear in 2013 as director of football that led to Carr’s attempt to leave. By then he had already been invited to Ashley’s holiday home in Majorca, and was stunned to be offered an eight year contract. However the arrival of Kinnear, and the barren transfer windows that his arrival coincided with, had Carr ready to leave. Llambias, who was the then managing director, instead left. Ashley kept his man.

Carr’s power has risen since. He was appointed as part of a four man board at Newcastle in the summer, along with managing director Lee Charnley, club veteran Bob Moncur and head coach Steve McClaren.

Newcastle signed five players this summer, at a cost of more than £50 million according to Charnley. They were all chosen by Carr, the most powerful figure amongst that quartet.

“Kevin Keegan rang me and asked about taking on Chris Hughton as a coach,” said Carr. “I’d worked with Chris at Tottenham and I said he was a very good coach. When Chris got the job he asked me about coming as chief scout and I worked with him, and then Alan Pardew and then Steve McClaren.”

It is the eye for bargain hunting that has made him the power behind Ashley’s throne.

“I used to go to France through the Channel Tunnel,” he added. “It was quite easy to get there. I had seen Yohan Cabaye years before the opportunity came to buy him. I saw him when he was 18, 19, 20 and 21. I saw him getting better and better. I watched him play under-20s and then under-21s for France and I knew he had a get out clause in his contract.

“We paid £4m for him and sold him for £19m to Paris St Germain. I got [Cheick] Tiote from FC Twente and I got [Hatem] Ben Arfa, who has a bit of an ego, but I see he’s got a couple of goals for Nice this season. The timescale we watch players for varies. We can watch them once or twice, or for months, and keep going back if we like someone.”

More recently Holland has become his destination of choice. Siem de Jong and Daryl Janmaat arrived last summer for £11m from the Netherlands. During the last transfer window Georginio Wijnaldum signed for £14.7m from PSV Eindhoven.

But there have been failures that are often overlooked.

There was increasingly consternation from Pardew and his staff that players like Manu Riviere, Remy Cabella, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and even Vurnon Anita arrived (costing more than £30 million) and could not impact upon his side. Most could not even get a game. It did not matter to Ashley.

McClaren was shown the list of names Newcastle were chasing. It is his team to coach, but it is from a squad picked by Graham Carr. Newcastle have yet to win a Premier League game since the former England manager took control at St James’ Park. They have not scored since their first game of the season. It is not a backdrop McClaren envisaged when he took over at Newcastle. Tomorrow at Upton Park, he must find a way to arrest the slump with the players Carr has given him.

• 31 Ian Toon // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:02 PM

The above was by Hardy of The Sunday Times- for those who haven’t read it.

• 32 toon kk // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM

sorry mate haven’t got a link, but its basically saying about how everyone expected a big change, but everything has basically got worse. Down to the fatally flawed transfer policy MA has set in place.

• 33 Ibizatoon // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Ian…Thanks for the post. Just reading through at the minute (work calls), but will be back to you later.

• 34 Malackay // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Ian Toon – that’s the point I was going to make. I think Ashley is shrewd enough to spot the TV revenues increase many years before it happened. A reduction in ticket sales would have such a negligible impact to the overall business model, staying away would in no way incentivize Ashley to sell up. It would however reduce the attractiveness of the club to potential signings going forward. the “52k a week” sell will still have some weight with players.

• 35 wardy06 // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Seeing as we have been struggling with wingers and crosses going into the box for a few seasons now, I think it’s time we tried a new formula, why we persist to whip balls in the box when we don’t have the men to get on the end of crosses; just look at our set piece record. Here’s the formation I’d like to see tested, also what better way than to experiment in cup;

Memba — Colo — Taylor
    Janmatt — Hairdryer
    Sissoko — Colback —

De Jong Wini

3-4-3… High pressing, quick forward movement, runners in behind.. Let the front 3 swarm the opposition..

• 36 jimmysmith // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM

“Most could not even get a game. It did not matter to Ashley.”

Interesting if true. Certainly, it suggests that Ashley accepts there’ll be duds along the way, as we unearth the diamonds. But its the duds, that will insure we remain mediocre, and at 70 odd, Carr is hardly likely to increasingly pull the diamonds out of the rough.

I suppose the hope is with increased money, comes less risky buys, and despite our poor start, the new buys look good, apart from Thauvin, who really hasn’t although its far too early to judge, though not too early to have concerns.

• 37 Lynny // Sep 22, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Here I can talk as good as the next bloke! They all talk a good talk wor lot! Comes to nowt though! Do your talking on the pitch! Stop talking to the press and train hard! Graft well and fight for the shirt! Hwtl

• 38 Ibizatoon // Sep 22, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Ian…Not sure if you re-read the conversations between Bobby and I, but I did seek to clarify that I wasn’t promoting booing, especially not the players. What I was saying is that I think it’s important that fans have a way of venting their frustrations, as they are quite normal.

I find Bobbys approach of if you’re not happy, and can’t say nice things, simply don’t go, to be counterproductive.

Should people take offense to being told not to go by Bobby because they are not happy? No. It’s one man’s view on how a situation should be handled, and on the face of it, could be seen as sound advice. We too have the issue of being bound by this love for NUFC. Otherwise, I’m sure many more would simply have turned their back and given up completely.

I 100% agree it is a personal choice, but I don’t see why that should make the topic taboo. Surely with greater discussion and idea sharing, we spread differing points of view which may or may not effect others thinking. At least it allows each individual to look at all the data and make an informed decision that works for them.

Granted it may have come across as it being rammed down peoples throats. It was hot and heavy at the time, with action being taken. A lot of people, on here anyway, were happy to be involved. Did people get caught in the crossfire? No doubt. It happens daily on here, with even less emotive topics.

You may have an arguement that the approach had a negative effect on some fans. I can honestly say some of the old demonstrations had a negative impact on how I viewed them.

But to say I’m not placed to suggest something does truly seem like a bizarre thing to believe.

Again, does this all boil down to my geographical location? Is it the content or the person that is the issue? I would have thought that any point, made by any person, should be taken on face value?

On Solano, do you not think it’s a little naughty to say you only want to discuss football, but then mention someone else and their political ways afterwards? He is left with 2 choices, one to respond and continue with the political talk (to which you have opened the door) or to allow your comment to sinply go unchallenged.

If you truly do want to move on, leave old blog feuds behind and just focus on football, then surely you have to do just that? I hope you don’t mind my saying Ian. We used to get on well. My views have changed, but I do try and keep my approach the same.

• 39 LGFUAD21 // Sep 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Have to say i disagree.

2 up top doesnt mean you are more likely to score (unless you are John Carver of course).

We are being overpowered because no one in our team can break up play.

If we played to up top, one would end up having to drop into the midfield anyway.

De Jong is a perfect solution as he has the attributes and understanding of the game to play deeper while also providing a goal threat.

• 40 LGFUAD21 // Sep 22, 2015 at 1:43 PM

You could have a point.

We dont have a DM.
    Our CMs cant protect our back 4 without stifling our creativity.

Why not try a 3 at the back. Especially if Janmaat is our best attacking player.

• 41 wardy06 // Sep 22, 2015 at 2:01 PM

I agree Tiote was meant to be our DM but he hasn’t performed consistantly for long time.
    I like the idea of the front 3, Perez playing at the top with the 2 behind playing as left and right forwards. That way they can play as a unit, and press together. Almost like how Liverpool played 2 years ago. Also with the 3 at the back we get our width from the WB’s, which let’s face it, it’s where we get it from any way, yet we play with a back 4

• 42 lesh // Sep 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Don’t know if anyone’s speculated why Colo was given a two year deal this summer but could it have been with a view to upping his selling price knowing that Crystal Palace were interested in signing him?

If that was the case, Charnley’s mis-judged the situation, big time!

previous post: Why Newcastle Will Fail To SIgn This Striker In January