Newcastle are back on top of the Physioroom.com injury table with the site saying we have 10 injured players out.
Steve McClaren may have to play more first team regulars than he wanted to tonight against Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup with so many players being out.
Papiss Cisse – will not play tonight
Steve gave an update yesterday on the injury status at Newcastle and it’s not good.
He was asked if any of the squad who were injured were ready to return tonight:
“No. Marveaux is back in training.” “Riviere no – he’s a couple of weeks away.” “Dummett is on the training ground, about 80%.”
“Taylor had a scan on his hamstring, the tendon, he had an issue – he’s had a small operation to knit the tendon together, so it’s a blow because he’ll be out for a couple of months.”
“Haidara’s problem’s with his knee so he’s having scans this afternoon, so we’ll see.” “And Colback got a kick on the calf against Watford.”
“Cisse felt his back against West Ham when he went for an overhead-kick, and he’s been feeling it since and he won’t be available.”
Of the players above it seems Haidara has the best chance of playing tonight.
Here’s the injury situation at Newcastle right now.
- Steven Taylor – hamstring problem – out for two months
- Paul Dummett – back in training after hamstring injury in May
- Jack Colback – knock on calf – not serious
- Sadio Haidara – knee problem – not serious
- Karl Darlow – twisted ankle – no return date
- Papiss Cisse – bad back will not play tonight – doubtful for Saturday
- Sylvain Marveaux – back in training – out since July with groin strain
- Emmanuel Riviere – knee injury – will return to training in two weeks
- Cheick Tiote – knee injury – no return date
- Curtis Good – hip/thigh – no return date
10 players out injured and Aleksandar Mitrovic still unavailable because of his three match suspension.
It’s worrying that we are still picking up all these injuries this season