The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Concern As These Problems Mount At Newcastle

9:58 am, Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 95 Comments

Newcastle are back on top of the injury table with the site saying we have 10 injured players out.

Steve McClaren may have to play more first team regulars than he wanted to tonight against Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup with so many players being out.

papiss cisse celebrates

Papiss Cisse – will not play tonight

Steve gave an update yesterday on the injury status at Newcastle and it’s not good.

He was asked if any of the squad who were injured were ready to return tonight:

“No. Marveaux is back in training.” “Riviere no – he’s a couple of weeks away.” “Dummett is on the training ground, about 80%.”

“Taylor had a scan on his hamstring, the tendon, he had an issue – he’s had a small operation to knit the tendon together, so it’s a blow because he’ll be out for a couple of months.”

“Haidara’s problem’s with his knee so he’s having scans this afternoon, so we’ll see.” “And Colback got a kick on the calf against Watford.”

“Cisse felt his back against West Ham when he went for an overhead-kick, and he’s been feeling it since and he won’t be available.”

Of the players above it seems Haidara has the best chance of playing tonight.

Here’s the injury situation at Newcastle right now.

1. Steven Taylor – hamstring problem – out for two months
  2. Paul Dummett – back in training after hamstring injury in May
  3. Jack Colback – knock on calf – not serious
  4. Sadio Haidara – knee problem – not serious
  5. Karl Darlow – twisted ankle – no return date
  6. Papiss Cisse – bad back will not play tonight – doubtful for Saturday
  7. Sylvain Marveaux – back in training – out since July with groin strain
  8. Emmanuel Riviere – knee injury – will return to training in two weeks
  9. Cheick Tiote – knee injury – no return date
  10. Curtis Good – hip/thigh – no return date

10 players out injured and Aleksandar Mitrovic still unavailable because of his three match suspension.

It’s worrying that we are still picking up all these injuries this season

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Sheffield Wednesday In League Cup?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Capital One Cup · Injuries · League Cup · Medical · Newcastle News · Premier League

95 responses so far ↓

• 1 croftus5678 // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM

my team

• 2 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:10 AM

It’s amazing how often a managers comments can come back and bite them in the ass !
    Ten days ago Macca was bemoaning the effect of International breaks saying
    “Ideally you want the games to come thick and fast”

Well they are now bonny lad .

The club at the moment needs this cuptie like a hole in the heed.

• 3 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Lescott plays for Villa
    However we have a CB called Lascelles

• 4 croftus5678 // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM

@2 jib

i dunno mate i think we need this game if i’m honest !

we have a very good chance of beating sheff wed’s even if confidence is low and we are a weakened team ! and with our poor form /second from bottom and very very little chance of getting anything from our next 2 games ! a result here may just be the excuse the club and the fans can get before they become suicidal.

• 5 croftus5678 // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:17 AM

@3 jib

oops lol would rather have lescott though but guess my kidknapp and replace him for lascalles wont work 🙁

• 6 Mag52 // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:17 AM

It often seems that a team going well has fewer injury problems than one which is struggling.
    That could, of course, be that the struggling team is struggling precisely because they are suffering from a lot of injuries, or it might be that players with minor injuries will play through them for a team which is on a winning run.

• 7 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Jib….. Was reading your post from last night about Ashley’s wealth etc. What you say is absolutely right, but what we must realise is that Ashley’s two passions are making money and Sports Direct.

He has no intentions of throwing his vast personal wealth at the club to try and buy success , that wouldn’t give him a buzz. However to create a self funding entity that can compete with the sovereign state and Russian billionaire investments is more of a challenge and more rewarding for him.

Of course he would prefer us to do well but he’s not interested in buying it.

• 8 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Apparently Ashleys team as a youf was Chelsea.
    Nothing gives him greater pleasure than to do them with a club that is self sustaining.
    I think once the Blatter shyte is sorted FIFA and UEFA will get serious about looking into the funding of clubs.

• 9 cyprus // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM

How are you so sure about those two only passions? You maybe mean he’s done well on those two fronts….

He was a sportsman himself, after all.

• 10 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM

According to the sun ( which could be bull sh.t)
    MA is really concerned about his 50mil been wasted on the wrong players by Charnley who brought players in on Carr’s advice and Macca is really annoyed with not a proven striker being brought in, he say January window can’t come soon enough.

• 11 cyprus // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM

I think people get a ‘buzz’ from success. Same as you and me, on another level. This continuing failure of this team is, I would bet any money, bothering the hell out of him. But he has no immediate solution but to throw money at it.

Money buys success but it doesn’t guarantee it unfortunately. But, if the three windows are similar to this, we’ll be challenging for honours soon.

• 12 cyprus // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Surely Macca noticed we brought Mitro in. And he claims he has a proven striker…

• 13 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Are we playing the what makes Ashley tick game?

I thought the last round ended when we couldn’t say for sure how the man himself defines success?

For example, 7 years advertising, free of charge on the basis of a free loan, a loan which is unlikely to go away or end up costing him in the long run, could be deemed as successful.

I get the idea of why wouldn’t he want the team to be a successful one. It hooked me for a while.

• 14 cyprus // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM

The guy is a mystery. Hats off for such a public person keeping so much to himself.

• 15 jayphoto // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Don’t think thauvin could go to Barca even if he wanted as hes played for both newcastle and Marseille!
    Those injuries sure came out of nowhere. 50m spent yet we’re still likely going to watch a match tonight featuring Elliot, Williamson, no recognized left back etc

• 16 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Why am I not surprised toonkk is a Sun reader ?

How can you possibly say after 10 weeks and 6 games that the £50million has been wasted !!!!!!!!

What a crock.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Pleased to see McClaren come out with a denial on the Tiote story.

The club may not like to comment on certain matters, or feel they should have to, but quite clearly it’s beneficial in some cases for them to do so.

There shall be no making Tiote the scapegoat then.

On thread…At last, back where we belong. Top of the table. Fellow fans, soak it up. It’s a beautiful day.

Ed…”Steve McClaren may have to play more first team regulars than he wanted to tonight” – Didn’t he always want to play a strong team, with first team regulars? We are after all going for a cup.

Still fancy the win tonight.

• 18 jayphoto // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:02 AM

@cyprus/betty – id argue Ashleys passion is winning and destroying those that appose him. Not in the conventional sense of games and points, but going up against people and trampling over them without changing his own ideas.
    Newcastle is a success as long as it makes money each year and is a premier league club. can’t argue we aren’t ran his way against the advice of everyone yet the cheques still come in

• 19 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM

@1 I like the look of that team although I would imagine Perez will be up top on his own instead of sdj in a false 9. For tonight I’d go 3-4-3, just to try something new

• 20 jayphoto // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Be interested to know where tiote is at. Made a sub appearance weeks ago but nothing since? Thought mcclaren was the one who recommended him to Newcastle by most accounts.
    People seem to forget the games we won in October/November last year coincided with tiote (and taylor) being in form and ended when he got injured

• 21 Sav // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Seriously, half of that list aren’t good enough anyway. Fit or injured it makes no difference. I’d be surprised if any professional footballer can’t point to a bruise or a scratch week on week. Expect a weakened cup side tonight. We are out to win it, my arse.

• 22 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Cyprus…Can’t a man make his fortune off the back of cheap practices in peace?

Jay…We knew the day was coming. Those players are in the squad for a reason at the end of the day. It’s a big part of why I wasn’t, nor am I still overly excited by our chances this season. We simply didn’t do enough imo over the summer.

Spending £50m on 4 players is all well and good to compliment a good squad to push it on. Let’s hope this particular gamble doesn’t prove too costly in the short term.

• 23 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Spot on Catchy (earlier thread)
    The voice of reason !!

• 24 cyprus // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM

the answer to your suggestions is I don’t know.

I suspect that he didn’t buy this club to make money, though I may be wrong. He’s a fool if he did. Clubs notoriously lose money. But, nouveau rich people around the world fancy owning a club. Like a yacht, maybe. For both, they feel better when they look good and shiny.

• 25 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Angels…Say what? Point me in the right direction.

• 26 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Unfortunately Ashley is not a die hard Geordie fan. If he was we might see him do what Jack Walker did at Blackburn.

To have his beloved Shyte Direct given global exposure and to have a team holding its own (only just mind) in the best league in the world on a self sustaining basis , with the club now worth more than it cost initially has to be a success in fattys book.

Having said all that I think Ashley would prefer to have a winning team as oppose to a losing one. It remains to be seen whether he chucks a few quid extra of his own in to avoid relegation and the embarrassment of being a loser. The next few Windows will tell all.

• 27 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:11 AM

You can only complement the squad if it is good enough anyway.
    Problem is the players left are letting us down rather than the incomers.
    I’d include Colo in that number as I can see very little ‘captainship’ in him

• 28 angelswithdirtyfaces // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Ibiza………… first ever repost of a Catchy contribution 🙂 but I reckon he has it about right

catchy in norway // Sep 23, 2015 at 8:55 AM

i like the players we have signed, i think chancel has look class every game he has played, i think taylor would be a better partner for him,

i think it has been a hard start to the season for other reasons than the new players coming in, i believe its more of a culture at the club thing that needs the most work done to it, we are a team that is used to loosing games, but i have see a big difference in the way we approach games and what our game plan is, we are a lot more tighter as a team defending, so i see a lot of work has gone into that,

our first 8 games were always going to be hard, its been well documented that we had the hardsest start to the season on paper and it is proving so, people looking at Watford as our easy game to win, yet i believe its was just as hard as playing Man u, this team has just came up and has this fresh winning mentality and are still riding on this wave,

our biggest criticism is not the new players , its with the likes of Cisse, Colo, these guys know the prem and know what they face, yet these let us down.

i think we will be ok

• 29 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Angels…Exactly. Re-reading my comment, I didn’t really finish my point, so thanks for doing so 🙂

I think, despite what should be lauded, the £50m spend represents a huge gamble for where we were / are.

Betty…Why would he have to throw in money of his own? I thought money was available for Janaury already?

I actually have a lot of respect for the “plan” of self sufficiency. I just don’t think they take the sporting progress element quite as seriously.

• 30 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:24 AM

I think the behind the scenes activity of the scouting team is what will define success or failure for all clubs in the future. Even the top teams who are buying the exposed so called superstars for mega bucks are getting beat by teams with far lower but more shrewdly spent budgets.

This is an area where Ashley s skill in buying at source could engineer an edge . Wouldn’t you think that he would have a team of scouts looking globally for what everyone else is looking for.

I’m not saying Carr is useless and I’m sure Ashley trusts and respects him but to rely solely on him to find players makes no sense

• 31 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:24 AM

angels…Indeed. Don’t disagree with too much in there at all.

I am wary of getting ahead of ourselves with regards to these defensive improvements at this stage. I seem to be the only one remember Pardew appeared to do that at first too, if I remember correctly that is.

I’m sure the season we finished 5th, Pardews, first full season, we were neck and neck with City for a good chunk of the early season both in the table and our defensive record. What was it, 10 or 11 games or something?

Truth is, in two of our games this season the whole team had to defend. Yes they did it well, but parking the bus with 10 people is not revolutionary. When we haven’t done that, we’ve still conceded silly goals.

Mbemba is impressing though. No surprise to see he is our top peformer on Skys “power ranking” so far this season.

• 32 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Jib@16. It’s fair enough to say at this point it’s too early to say that the£50mill. has been wasted. The flip side is that I think it appears the money could have been better spent. Windjalum and Thauvin are typical “Carr” players. Technically good, but not quite good enough for the PL given that they are lightweights. Cabella was clearly not a lesson learned. Mbemba looks a good player, but we needed a big strong type at centre back. Wrong choice. Mitrovic. A loose cannon. I like the look of him if I’m honest, but seriously, could we afford to take the gamble with him? I don’t think so. Early days for all of them, but is this how you would have spent the money? And yes, wages come into play, I know that, but ultimately if you buy from the second tier, and pay wages at the second tier, you will get performances which reflect that. It’s not a hard luck story that we are where we are.

• 33 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Do we solely rely on Carr for players? Have we not got an extensive scouting system that reports back?

• 34 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Ibiza … The money available in January is only in keeping with the self sufficiency model. We don’t know how much it is , as the amounts suggested are only conjecture.

If Ashley was to take up the challenge as a sporting one, then he could quite comfortably provide Schteve with what he needs. Maybe that is the plan.

• 35 Rotonda heights // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Wouldn’t it be great if Eva carneiro came and sorted out our physio dept.

• 36 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:37 AM

how old are you? You seem to think you know everything. You’re so clever arnt you, well done!
    there’s a good boy.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM

barkel…As far as I understand, he’s the head scout and has other scouts reporting to him too. Whether there is enough of them or they’re good enough is another question altogether.

Betty…You wont see me calling for Ashley to put more of his own money in to buying players. I mean, if he really wants to I wont complain. As I said, I don’t mind the plan, never have. It’s either the execution of the plan or that the whole thing is just a smokescreen that I object to.

I don’t even care if he makes money from the club, as long as it’s not at the cost of us not being able to compete, whilst being told we can’t afford to.

• 38 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Bakel……. It seems our scouting and transfer business follows trends. France was all the rage, lets copy Wenger he’s doing it right. Then it was Holland , lets raid their league. Then Belgium, lets buy their two best players.

It seems very short sighted when we could have a world wide scouting network.

The other thing that is very worrying is Charnley seeming to deal with the few, same agents.

• 39 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:45 AM

@barkel, surely we have scouts assigned to specific leagues or countries. They will send their list of players to Carr and he will examine each one personally. That is what I would presume, although I don’t know, anything is possible with this team!

Proud to announce that John Powell has produced the first ever guest article for my website. He discusses financial anarchy in football.

• 40 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Player of the eredivisie last season – regular in the Dutch side that made the quarters of the WC in Brazil

Chancel M’Bemba

Vice captain and regular of Anderlecht
    Jean-Florent Ikwange Ibengé the Congo coach says he is the 1st player on his team list.

1 in 2 scorer at every club he’s been at.
    Regular for Serbia

If they are 2nd tier I’d hate to see the top rank

• 41 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM

So how many kids do we play tonight? It is imperative for squad and fan morale that we don’t lose this one…

• 42 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM

The same “trusted” agents, we can’t be held to ransom on agents fees or we’ll never get anyone “over the line”

• 43 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Ibiza…… I think you’re missing the point that to rigidly stay within the confines of the clubs profits to buy players was the policy after Keegan.

Since the statement from Ashley we still don’t know whether or not we are allowed to spend more than we have in reserve.

• 44 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Barrel…… But surely that drastically limits our options.

• 45 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Tinman –

What kids do we have to play? Toney, Bigi and maybe Roberts might make the bench. They played Monday night at West Ham, Roberts for the full game.

• 46 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I’m sure it does. I was taking the micky a bit tho

• 47 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Barkel….. Let you off then.x

• 48 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Think we’ll draw today and get knocked out in the replay

• 49 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM

betty…I don’t believe I am missing the point. I’m well aware of the clubs self sufficiency policy.

I think in Ashleys interview he did mention that he would “continue” to invest.

It was all about getting the financials in order, but that we’re now in a position, because of that work (cart building) to use our financial clout. Why has Ashleys money come back in to the equation?

If he was about to start pumping his own money in to the club, why on Earth would they only get in 4 players and keep so much deadwood?

• 50 jayphoto // Sep 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM

The problem isn’t the players we signed, its the players we didn’t.
    Mbemba and Gini (along with Janmaat)have been our 3 best players. Mitrovic and Thauvin are young and could be anything given time.
    For me the problems are that we needed to replace cisse and didn’t.
    We needed a top level left back and didnt get one.
    Colback and Anita should only be squad players but are starting every game.
    On top form and ability our team is probably
    Janmaat mbemba colo dummett
    Tiote Gini
    Sissoko De jong Thauvin
    For me an issue is the second choice options for Centre forward, centreback and fullbacks is simply not good enough. We’re still at that issue where we have 12/13 good premier league players and 10 players that have no place in the league. Once we get a couple of injuries the problems are evident

• 51 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Jay…You could even say that we’re still operating the purple policy.

It’s simply a case of the failed* potential purples becoming the back up this time around.

* Overall have not had the desired impact. Whether that is down to the player, poor coaching, bad feeling around the club?!?

• 52 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM

totally agree, the player’s we signed would be great mixed in with experience d ones.
    But be careful Jib doesn’t like people having opinions

• 53 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM

@barkel, that is true, maybe I used the wrong word! I was referring to the likes of Aarons, Lascelles… But actually you’re right, the list doesn’t go much further.

• 54 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM

We are desperate for Mitrovi? back

• 55 Blofal // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM

My thoughts on our current situation:

Promoted teams have nothing to lose. They are going to have a go and attack us every time. Especially at St James’ they know if they can get an early goal they can turn the crowd on their own team and from there its game over.

But because of the expectations that we should beat those bottom teams I think our players feel more under pressure playing weaker teams than they do the top teams.

If we lose to Man City the players don’t think they will be blamed so much. If they lose to Bournemouth then they know the media and the fans will be crucifying them come morning.

For that reason I actually think we will do well against Chelsea.

And I don’t buy this argument for a second that they are professional footballers getting paid a fortune and therefore should perform. The fact is these players are in their early to mid 20’s and cope with pressure just the same as anyone that age. For most of them that is poorly.

Our downfall has been our recruitment policy because all that is normally countered by a few old hands in the dressing room keeping up morale and marshalling the team on the pitch at key points throughout the game. We haven’t had one since Kevin Nolan. That’s why I think McClaren kept Coloccini but he clearly isn’t up to the task.

So our young players are flying blind, struggling to cope with the pressure of playing for Newcastle in front of a massive crowd and with nobody to show them the way.

I can see Janmaat eventually taking the mantle. But we might be in the Championship by then.

• 56 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:09 PM

I posted the accented ‘c’ as it should be and it has been replace with that question mark. Apologies.

• 57 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:09 PM

I’d expect both of them to start. I would think we’ll line up like this:

Janmat Mbemba Lascellas Anita
    Thauvin Sissoko Gini SDJ Aarons

• 58 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Ibiza…… Because Mc stated that the board had decided to opt for quality and to make the changes gradually after a period of assessment so that he could decide exactly what is needed.

The point is we are obviously still lacking big time and if we need to spend more than is in the kitty will it be sanctioned.

To be fair to McClaren, he did say that he wanted to give the whole squad a chance to stake a claim to be part of the new set up and he didn’t know who was deadwood without seeing them play. Let’s hope to God he knows now.

• 59 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:14 PM

I love toon….. There is no replay man . Extra time and pens.

• 60 martoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM

ilovetoon8788 – There is no replay it goes to extra time & then penalties tonight.
    sickandtired from last topic – How can we have the lowest points tally of any premiership club when we have the same as the makems? Against other clubs surely your talking about 1 point. I just think the team is better than second bottom – we just need to play to our potential.

• 61 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM

We’ll probably play really well tonight, but when we come up against Chelsea we’ll slip back to our usual standard, where the mentality seems to be we can’t win so why bother trying.
    Confidence is very low along with the quality.

• 62 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:26 PM

betty…I get that too. Hence my earlier calls, not just today, that perhaps this wasn’t the window to implement such a strategy. Adding a few decent players to a decent squad is the way to go, but we didn’t have a decent squad so it represented a gamble. Hopefully we ride it out.

History would show us that when needed, to avoid relegation, money is available. Whether that’s the clubs or Ashleys? I would have thought the club still have enough money kicking around to cover any January plans.

I also find the whole Steve needs to assess who the dead weight are argument a little thin. It’s not like we didn’t let anyone go at all, did Steve decided on them already? All seems a little arbitrary.

• 63 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM

I think Kevin Mbabu , Willo , Gouffran , Anita and Obertan will all start tonight.

• 64 bettyswallocks // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Ibiza…….. I don’t think they were ever going to scrap the whole squad and start from scratch, but I m sure they must have realised that we are desperate for a left back, centre backs, midfield orchestrator, strikers, and proper pacey wingers.

As usual they preferred to sit tight and take the chance that what we have would see us through. I don’t think anybody really thought we were going to be this Shyte if they were honest, fans and coaches alike .

• 65 c-dog // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM

The players mentioned would neither increase or decrease the quality of our starting XI. All are equally as lacking in quality as the other.

• 66 sing in the corner // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM

I’m not sure I buy SM’s stance on Cisse like.
    When he picked him to do a rerun of the poor West Ham showing against Watford I felt he ducked a tough decision. Wether or not you think Cisse has some justification for sulking and feeling unloved, it’d be hard to argue that he is remotely interested and is giving his all for the cause at the moment. Sooner or later the other players have to know that if someone’s not prepared to bust a gut then they will be shelved. Even if it does mean playing young uns / fringe players instead.

• 67 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:43 PM

As per usual the majority on here whinge no matter what.
    If we were told that in May we would have been over the moon

• 68 WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM

I wouldn’t of been over the moon personally

• 69 jayphoto // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Surely mbabu won’t start?? He rarely starts for the u21’s.
    Club need a win. Winning is a contagious feeling. Itll breathe some optimism around the team. That in mind i’d start probably the strongest 11 possible with the exception of maybe Lascelles coming in for Colo.
    My team for tonight considering injuries would be
    Janmaat Mbemba lascelles Colback
    sissoko Gini
    Thauvin de jong Aarons

• 70 Sivarese // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:07 PM

I’d just like to see him TRY to play with two up front.

• 71 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Betty…Exactly. It was a gamble for where we were at that stage. That’s all I’m saying 🙂

Jib…I’m with WWSBRD. In fact, most of us said what we thought we needed. I think most people have been fair and said they were surprised / impressed by the individual and total amount spent on players.

However, for me, it’s never been about money spent, but actually spending some and how.

• 72 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Colback has taken a knock and is unlikely to feature, I would imagine Anita or Aarons will go in at LB. I only say Aarons because we’ve no one else and he played a game or two there in pre season

• 73 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I would have been over the moon if we’d bought more experienced players in, Remy for example who would have grantee us goals. I have nothing against the new signings but you seem to think they were exactly what was required? Had we had a better squad maybe.

• 74 jayphoto // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM

@ibiza – agree with how its spent! The total spend has increased but the business plan is set in stone! Theyre still buying players with a view to profit rather than team success.
    I love that we signed Gini, but £14.5m on a player they are trying to play #10 when they already had 4 players that prefer this role and have other positions that desperately needed new faces is odd.
    The amount spent on our defence despite us having the worst back 4 in the league is troubling too. Only reason i can think is that defenders sell on value is much more stagnant and needs 3 seasons of consistency to grow. A striker or attacking mid only needs 6 months of form to double his value

• 75 John Tudor // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Tom Heardman in ffs

• 76 WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Together we stand haha

• 77 John Tudor // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:22 PM

round holes round pegs 4-4-2 ffs

• 78 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:22 PM

toon kk
    We’ll see how good Remy is on Saturday .
    With Costa out he should get some pitch time
    I personally think he’s over-rated and got lucky when he was with us.

• 79 John Tudor // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM

arty farty tactics set out by a has been will ruin is

• 80 WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Don’t think we have enough pegs for the holes these days

• 81 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Yo…Be careful. Standing next to me is akin to standing in the splash zone these days 🙂

Jay…I do try and not just jump to the negative, but the holes were glaringly obvious to anyone who watched us last season. I too question why we went for certain players, or positions, over others.

You’re probably right, it’s to do with holding or increasing value.

• 82 John Tudor // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM

we have more than enough if tried

• 83 WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM

U ignore all his game time for us, QPR and OM (?) then? Seemed pretty good for us I must say considering he kept us in the league

• 84 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Hasn’t Loic been a goal in 2/3 games striker pretty much throughout his career, wherever he’s been?

If it’s luck, we could still do with it!

• 85 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM

His first 2 seasons at Marseilles he was a 1 in 2 striker his third season was ravaged by injury then QPR bought him .His time in England he has been pretty much a 1 in 3 .

He has had a poor start this season

Cisse was 1 in 2 last season FFS

• 86 WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Not sure am much better these days though the negative outlook is coming back into fashion so we will be bells of the ball again soon enough

True but isn’t that always our trouble

• 87 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Jib…Slow start? Our mate Wiki has him down as playing one game.

• 88 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM

you really need to give yourself a shake man.
    what’s your problem? Remy was a great player for us and you know he was.
    but you always have to be right don’t you?

• 89 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Yo…That always makes me smile. I still don’t consider us to be negative.

• 90 WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM

How many of those games was Remy playing as a out right striker? Played on the wing a lot

• 91 WWSBRD // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Me either but it is the label given to me enough but then am overly optimistic when talking about the team after we lose…it’s tough this opinion thing

• 92 John Tudor // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:44 PM

cisse is a busted flush

• 93 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Toon kk
    It is a matter of opinion
    No one is right or wrong
    Just watch Remy tear us a new one on Saturday and make me look foolish – all together now – AGAIN.

• 94 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Yo…Opinions, aren’t they wonderful.

• 95 Lynxie // Sep 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Barkel @ 19 hit the nail on the head. this is Sheff Wed AT HOME we are talking about, not a combined Bayern Munich/Barca/Real Madrid select. 3-4-3 at home will be a signal of intent, against a very sub average championship side. ATTACK!

previous post: Transfer Rumors About This Newcastle Player Ridiculous