The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Is This Newcastle´s Best Team For Tonight?

2:12 pm, Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 72 Comments

We have built up a number of injuries already this season although a number of them are slight knocks and some of the players who are not available tonight could be ready for the game at home to Chelsea on Saturday.

We hope so because that´s a big game for Newcastle and as we keep pointing out we have won this fixture the last three seasons and certainly we are desperate for a win in the league very soon.

Here are the injuries Newcastle have right now:

• Steven Taylor – hamstring problem – out for two months
  • Paul Dummett – back in training after hamstring injury in May
  • Jack Colback – knock on calf – not serious
  • Sadio Haidara – knee problem – not serious
  • Karl Darlow – twisted ankle – no return date
  • Papiss Cisse – bad back will not play tonight – doubtful for Saturday
  • Sylvain Marveaux – back in training – out since July with groin strain
  • Emmanuel Riviere – knee injury – will return to training in two weeks
  • Cheick Tiote – knee injury – no return date
  • Curtis Good – hip/thigh – no return date

Of the above ten players apparently Sadio Haidara has the best chance of playing tonight – so we´ll assume he is fit and everybody else in the list is not.

Bearing in mind that McClaren has said he wants to use the squad for tonight´s game here´s what the team could be:

Janmaat Williamson Lascelles Haidara
Anita Sissoko
Obertan de Jong Aarons
Subs: Krul Mbemba Satka Bigirimana Wijnaldum Gouffran Toney

That gives a rest to Krul, Coloccini, Wijnaldum, Thauvin and Mbemba from Saturday´s starting line up.

Yoan Gouffran is also available and could find a position in the starting line up, and there is talk of Ivan Toney even getting a start tonight.

What would your team be for tonight?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Sheffield Wednesday In League Cup?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Capital One Cup · League Cup · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

72 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shearers finger // Sep 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Taylor injured again, pffft… Dyer mark II – Jan/Summer needs to be written off!!

• 2 the broons // Sep 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Steals a living out the club, don’t care that he loves the club and even though I sometimes criticise Colback atleast he actually plays and earns his wage. Probably on less too.

• 3 AncientC // Sep 23, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Look on the bright side, at least we have found a like for like replacement for Taylor in the form of Curtis Good.

• 4 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM

It’s time for Taylor to go. If he wants to contribute to the North East it will be better done at Gateshead.

• 5 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Thanks, I just spilt my coffee. Hilarious

• 6 Reyantoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM

I liked we still are linked with Lacazatte,doubt it whether we get him tho.It’s surprising no one bought him yet.But don’t be surprise if Lee & co
    splash it again in jan if we’re in trouble by then.
    That lineup is pretty much i expect but Thauvin should also be involved as he is more creative,
    esp against lower opposition.A win is what we need,to have something to cheer about and fade away last sat disaster ffs!!

• 7 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Well Lacazettes club did the right thing in keeping him one more year. His value will just go up yet again if he scores more this year.
    We will be priced out of him and with spending a lot on Mitrovic I think it is unlikely we will spend any more than 10 on another striker.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM

I fancy a win tonight.

I think the team we put out is much better. I like de Jong as a number 10, links very well with Perez who has good pace/trickery up top. I like Aarons out wide, does a good job again with pace. I prefer obertan to Sissoko on the right, not the best but in a natural position.

I’d like to see winjaldum in the middle tonight with sissoko but I can’t imagine we will do that.

The defence is atrocious, only janmaat and mbemba (from the bits I’ve seen) are up to the task, the rest should be cleared out and replaced.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM

If all fit Id like to see a team of

Janmaat, Mbemba, Williamson, Dummet
    Thauvin, De Jong, Wijnaldum, Aarons
    Mitrovik, Perez

• 10 lewisnufc // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM

I think he might go with this tonight. To cater for the injuries and he knows he needs this win to try and get people back on side.

lascelles mbemba williamson janmaat

anita gouffran

sissoko de jong aarons

• 11 Sack Llambias // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Newcastle are the the 10th best supported team in Europe. Anybody saying Jail for Ashley is wrong should think about that. KK Special K said that Newcastle would get nowhere under the ownership of Fatso and so has Jail. Keegan and Jail look more and more like prophets.

• 12 Sack Llambias // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Transfer who is going to win the ball in midfield.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Sack Llambias,
    Get back in your hole you creep !

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Ian Toon and carl funnily enough have accused me more than once of posting under the name sack Llambias what a shallow plot by an ace cretin !

• 15 Reyantoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Ha ha ha…

• 16 Reyantoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Totally agree.His club did the right thing for the reason u mentioned,esp if he continue to score like last season,we’ll be priced out.He showed he is a proven scorer so he won’t come cheap.
    But call it wishful thinking if u like,but if we’re in trouble by jan,like we were in 2013 jan,I’m sure McLaren and Lee will be looking for someone proven to score and keep us up.And he might be considered,my opinion ofcourse..,considering they signed 5 unexpectedly back in 2013!!

• 17 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 23, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Steven Taylor.. God. We pay him for being on the treatment table for God knows how many years..
    He really should move on instead of showing the board like we have a centre back with him.

He’s like not even here and spends 3/4 of the time injured. If he declares himself not around anymore atleast well bother to buy another centre back.

• 18 JP...from The Rock // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM

I would play Thauvin to build his confidence up.

Btw are there any links for the match tonight??

• 19 Shearer.Milburn // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM

What time does the team normally get named? Is it usually last minute?

• 20 Mister Tuff // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM

The grass is rustling, he’s definitely about, he’ll appear soon. Hiss.Hiss.

• 21 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM

With the Haidara injury, maybe Aarons will start at Left Back tonight. With full backs becoming more and more attacking it could be an opportunity for him to get some game time.

By the way, in Rugby news;
    Such a shame for Japan today, I feel like they gave Scotland that one, handling errors, not looking when passing and ill discipline costing them.

• 22 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Teams are usually released 30mins before kick off

• 23 bladeuser // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM

I could not give a rats arse who plays
    Nufc r rotten ro the core the English players we have r shit and the rest could nor give a monkeys whether we win lose or draw as long as they pick up there obscene wages
    Until fat man goes I could not care less what happens

• 24 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Teams are announced 1 hour before KO mate.

• 25 Reyantoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Tinman….i assume it’s 1hr before kickoff,

• 26 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM

teams are out an hour before kick off

I watch most games on, usually has a few links. You’ll probably want to get an ad blocker if you use it though

• 27 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Evening lads!…what time is the game tonight? 🙂

• 28 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:34 PM

7:45 KO mate.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:39 PM

firebug. .it’s not on tv is it?

• 30 barkel // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM

doesn’t appear to be on tv anywhere, best you’ll get is radio by the looks of things and a highlights show at 11pm in the UK on channel 5

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM

• 32 AngusMitchell // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:11 PM

@Transfersage , I agree with you, let’s try and see a 4-4-2 with perez and mitrovic up front. Let Wijnaldum and Colback/Anita/Tiote/Sissoko play the centre. Sissoko is strong and has shown that he can play defensive at his last club. We need to switch things around, things ain’t working right now!

• 33 Tsunki // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Surprising that two football heavyweights like bottom of the table nufc and the ‘ other’ Sheffield aren’t a big TV draw 🙂 I mean who else of note is playing tonight?. .

• 34 Tsunki // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:14 PM

I think they’re covering the match on the shipping channels in morse code…

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM

I’m getting ready now – always the optimist;)

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Wrong button, 😉 getting good at that lately. As I was saying, before I rudely interupted myself. Going tonight and expect a win – always the optimist. I believe the highlights are on later if there’s no live stream. I love these games, we get tickets in the posh seats – those comfy ones near the centre line 😉 3-1 my prediction.

• 37 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Don’t see why we can’t play our best side tonight. The more they play together the better. Apart from which, they could all do with winning a game – any game. Do the confidence no harm at all – the complete opposite in fact.

• 38 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Afternoon all,

Ed…Let’s hope there aren’t two holding midfielders tonight. Seem to recall someone saying we played two in the last round mind.

This is the perfect game to build some confidence and get at Wednesday.

• 39 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Sorry I never got back to you mate, just had young carers visiting.

I don’t know if there will be a stream tonight yet, sometimes even if the match is not televised there is a stream but that is usually around kick off.

We shall have to wait and see, but I will be looking and if I find one I will post a link.

• 40 Tinman // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM

@Reyan, firebug,

Woops my mistake!! Why on earth did I think that.

New article regarding Steven Taylor. Also be sure to check out our first guest article written by John Powell discussing the effect of the increasing financial influence in football.

• 41 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Bobby…Indeed. It’s the perfect opportunity for that ‘click’ moment.

Well, it has to be easier than against Chelsea or City.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:43 PM

firebug…How’s things? Checked my normal site for streams. Nothing for our game listed at this stage, but there are for other games.

Doesn’t look good.

Bobby…Feel like streaming the game off your phone for us?

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:43 PM

There had better be no more than one holding midfielder tonight, at home, to Sheff Wed, or somebody wants their arse kicking. The closest to the side that will play Chelsea will suit me – minus one holding midfielder. With Darlow injured, I’d even play Krul tonight. This really is a must win situation, regardless of who we’re playing. Win this and we’re in the last 16 – and then you never know you luck…

• 44 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Ibiza, 1. My phone isn’t up to it. 2. I wouldn’t know where to begin matey! I had trouble with smiley faces ffs 😉

• 45 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Not too bad thanks, hope all is well with you. Sometimes you will get a vision stream without sound for these games, and occasionally the game may be broadcast in another country and you can get a stream.

I agree it does not look good, It is listed on SopCast, but I won’t know if there is a stream till just before the match.

I will just live in hope.

• 46 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Bobby…But just look at you now. Smiling and winking all over the place!

Okay then, no live stream. We do expect a match report though 😉

I agree about starting with the strongest team. Finish it early, then bring on some of the fringe players to rest a few up for Chelsea.

The club, the players and the fans need a win. A convincing one really wouldn’t go amiss.

• 47 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:49 PM

firebug…Stream optimism! Why not? 🙂

Let us know if one comes up.

• 48 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:50 PM

I’m not sure if it will make much difference which player’s start tonight, confidence is low along with the quality add them together, with our static style and you get a winless squad.

• 49 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Ibiza, more chance of the team clicking when Mitrovic offers us someone who can hold it up and bring the midfield into play – which we’re missing badly. Hopefully he will be the missing link we’ve been without lately. Right, need a quick shower then it’s nearly time to go. Howay the lads!!!!!!

• 50 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:53 PM

I wish I had the confidence to predict a win, but on recent performances from the shower that we have in our colours, I just cannot do it.

I will sit back and HOPE we manage to win, but my gut feeling tells me I may be hoping for too much.

• 51 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Aye, I’ll give a report upon my return – hopefully one with lots of smiley faces involved 😉 😉 really need to go now! 🙂

• 52 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Bobby…For gods sake don’t start the live stream now.

We don’t need to see your quick shower.

Enjoy the game.

• 53 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:55 PM

firebug…It is tough at the moment, however, I have a good feeling about tonight.

It might just be wind mind.

• 54 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Yeah it will be wind, and that will also be McClaren’s excuse at the end of the match, (it was just too windy).

• 55 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:02 PM

The whole team is lacking that leader and discipline, when silly lacklustre/ lazy mistakes are made everyone looks at each other,
    Who’s to blame? Everyone?

• 56 Tsunki // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM

• 57 Tsunki // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM

He could make a really nice coffee table if varnished properly. A light sand between coats and he’d polish up lovely.

• 58 Tsunki // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM

The legs would probably always be a bit wobbly though. 🙁

• 59 OneAlanShearer // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Isn’t mitrovic still suspended and Dummett injured?

I just hope the lads are up for it and our best players are used. I think Wednesday are a free scoring side. We need to win and create some momentum.

• 60 Paul141726 // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:10 PM

I would love for Aarons to start tonight. Also would not mind seeing
    Bigirimana and Lascelles at some point. Anita and Sissoko as DM–not sure. I actually would not mind Anita at left back. He did play on the back line before and Haidara has had his confidence shaken. But then who hasn’t.

• 61 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:12 PM

firebug…Well, at least I have that to look forward to then 🙂

We’ll see. Right now, kick off not far away, i’ll throw out some positive vibes. It’s a win.

toonkk…Everyone? Don’t be daft. No one is to blame. Everything is alright. Now, just repeat those last two sentences over and over. It’s going to be alright.

Tsunki…Could they not just bolt him to the “cart”, we’ll give Ashley a trophy, and then we can all just move on from this whole sorry mess?

I mean, what mess? Don’t panic toonkk, just a typo.

• 62 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Shower done, on my way. Paul, I watched Bigi for the U21’s v Arsenal last friday. Seriously mate, he was awful. Couldn’t control the ball let alone the midfield. His passing was dreadful as well. He’s not impressed at all this season sadly.

• 63 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM

everything is going to be alright
    everything is going to be alright!

Only wish is was mate.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Tsunki…Not sure what type of decor you’ve got going on if you think a Saylor coffee table will work.

Bobby…I do hope the match report is a little more extensive than your shower report.

“Done” is fine for the shower report however.

Toonkk…You’ve got to get the bit about it being no one’s fault or it just wont work.

🙂 😯 😉

• 65 toon kk // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Spirits will be higher tonight lads & lasses we’ll come good tonight, the laws of averages and that.

• 66 OneAlanShearer // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Given injuries and suspensions I would go all out with

Obertan Mbemba Colo aarons

Sissoko Wijnaldum anita thauvin

With an all out attacking

If Janmaat is fit the swap obertan out.

Simply throw everything at them.

• 67 Jib // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:31 PM

“Its,a shame that can’t just saw Saylors legs off and bolt him to a trolley, then they could pull him round the pitch to the Gallowgate so he could do his trademark chest beating and windmilling.
    The legs would probably always be a bit wobbly though.”

Is that humorous ?

It must be a culture
    thing !

For me they are the comments of a first class pr!ck.

• 68 Lindisfarne // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Its listed but I don’t know how reliable. I usually watch NUFC PL games and normally fine.

• 69 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Tonight could be a disaster

Anita might need to play left back or Aarons

Who plays right back ? Cant risk Janmaat as need him for the league

Who plays midfield if Colback , Tiote and Anita not available because of injury or playing in defence?

• 70 Lindisfarne // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:40 PM

I would like to see how Gini and Sissoko cope without defensive midfielders immediately behind them. 433 formation with an attacking diamond, but could quite easily be 4231. Siem de Jong needs to find space in the middle and move the ball on accurately.

——–Gini—de Jong—Sissoko

• 71 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Krul, Janmaat, Williamson, Lascelles, Mbemba, Anita, Wijnaldum, Thauvin, Sissoko, Obertan, De Jong #nufc

• 72 firebug666 // Sep 23, 2015 at 6:47 PM