Is This Newcastle´s Best Team For Tonight?

We have built up a number of injuries already this season although a number of them are slight knocks and some of the players who are not available tonight could be ready for the game at home to Chelsea on Saturday.

We hope so because that´s a big game for Newcastle and as we keep pointing out we have won this fixture the last three seasons and certainly we are desperate for a win in the league very soon.

150px-Sheffield_Wednesday.svg

Here are the injuries Newcastle have right now:

• Steven Taylor – hamstring problem – out for two months
  • Paul Dummett – back in training after hamstring injury in May
  • Jack Colback – knock on calf – not serious
  • Sadio Haidara – knee problem – not serious
  • Karl Darlow – twisted ankle – no return date
  • Papiss Cisse – bad back will not play tonight – doubtful for Saturday
  • Sylvain Marveaux – back in training – out since July with groin strain
  • Emmanuel Riviere – knee injury – will return to training in two weeks
  • Cheick Tiote – knee injury – no return date
  • Curtis Good – hip/thigh – no return date

Of the above ten players apparently Sadio Haidara has the best chance of playing tonight – so we´ll assume he is fit and everybody else in the list is not.

Bearing in mind that McClaren has said he wants to use the squad for tonight´s game here´s what the team could be:

Elliot
Janmaat Williamson Lascelles Haidara
Anita Sissoko
Obertan de Jong Aarons
Perez
Subs: Krul Mbemba Satka Bigirimana Wijnaldum Gouffran Toney

That gives a rest to Krul, Coloccini, Wijnaldum, Thauvin and Mbemba from Saturday´s starting line up.

Yoan Gouffran is also available and could find a position in the starting line up, and there is talk of Ivan Toney even getting a start tonight.

What would your team be for tonight?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Sheffield Wednesday In League Cup?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Shearers finger

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Taylor injured again, pffft… Dyer mark II – Jan/Summer needs to be written off!!

• the broons

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Steals a living out the club, don’t care that he loves the club and even though I sometimes criticise Colback atleast he actually plays and earns his wage. Probably on less too.

• AncientC

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Look on the bright side, at least we have found a like for like replacement for Taylor in the form of Curtis Good.

• Tinman

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM

It’s time for Taylor to go. If he wants to contribute to the North East it will be better done at Gateshead.

• Tinman

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM

@AncientC
    Thanks, I just spilt my coffee. Hilarious

• Reyantoon

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM

I liked we still are linked with Lacazatte,doubt it whether we get him tho.It’s surprising no one bought him yet.But don’t be surprise if Lee & co
    splash it again in jan if we’re in trouble by then.
    That lineup is pretty much i expect but Thauvin should also be involved as he is more creative,
    esp against lower opposition.A win is what we need,to have something to cheer about and fade away last sat disaster ffs!!

• Tinman

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Reyan,

Well Lacazettes club did the right thing in keeping him one more year. His value will just go up yet again if he scores more this year.
    We will be priced out of him and with spending a lot on Mitrovic I think it is unlikely we will spend any more than 10 on another striker.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM

I fancy a win tonight.

I think the team we put out is much better. I like de Jong as a number 10, links very well with Perez who has good pace/trickery up top. I like Aarons out wide, does a good job again with pace. I prefer obertan to Sissoko on the right, not the best but in a natural position.

I’d like to see winjaldum in the middle tonight with sissoko but I can’t imagine we will do that.

The defence is atrocious, only janmaat and mbemba (from the bits I’ve seen) are up to the task, the rest should be cleared out and replaced.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM

If all fit Id like to see a team of

Krul
    Janmaat, Mbemba, Williamson, Dummet
    Thauvin, De Jong, Wijnaldum, Aarons
    Mitrovik, Perez

• lewisnufc

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM

I think he might go with this tonight. To cater for the injuries and he knows he needs this win to try and get people back on side.

krul

lascelles mbemba williamson janmaat

anita gouffran

sissoko de jong aarons

perez

• Sack Llambias

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Newcastle are the the 10th best supported team in Europe. Anybody saying Jail for Ashley is wrong should think about that. KK Special K said that Newcastle would get nowhere under the ownership of Fatso and so has Jail. Keegan and Jail look more and more like prophets.

• Sack Llambias

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Transfer who is going to win the ball in midfield.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Sack Llambias,
    Get back in your hole you creep !

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Ian Toon and carl funnily enough have accused me more than once of posting under the name sack Llambias what a shallow plot by an ace cretin !

• Reyantoon

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Ha ha ha…

• Reyantoon

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Tinman
    Totally agree.His club did the right thing for the reason u mentioned,esp if he continue to score like last season,we’ll be priced out.He showed he is a proven scorer so he won’t come cheap.
    But call it wishful thinking if u like,but if we’re in trouble by jan,like we were in 2013 jan,I’m sure McLaren and Lee will be looking for someone proven to score and keep us up.And he might be considered,my opinion ofcourse..,considering they signed 5 unexpectedly back in 2013!!

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Steven Taylor.. God. We pay him for being on the treatment table for God knows how many years..
    He really should move on instead of showing the board like we have a centre back with him.

He’s like not even here and spends 3/4 of the time injured. If he declares himself not around anymore atleast well bother to buy another centre back.

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM

I would play Thauvin to build his confidence up.

Btw are there any links for the match tonight??

• Shearer.Milburn

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM

What time does the team normally get named? Is it usually last minute?

• Mister Tuff

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM

The grass is rustling, he’s definitely about, he’ll appear soon. Hiss.Hiss.

• Tinman

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM

With the Haidara injury, maybe Aarons will start at Left Back tonight. With full backs becoming more and more attacking it could be an opportunity for him to get some game time.

By the way, in Rugby news;
    Such a shame for Japan today, I feel like they gave Scotland that one, handling errors, not looking when passing and ill discipline costing them.

• Tinman

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Shearer.Milburn,

Teams are usually released 30mins before kick off

• bladeuser

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM

I could not give a rats arse who plays
    Nufc r rotten ro the core the English players we have r shit and the rest could nor give a monkeys whether we win lose or draw as long as they pick up there obscene wages
    Until fat man goes I could not care less what happens
    ASHLEY OUT

• firebug666

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Tinman

Teams are announced 1 hour before KO mate.

• Reyantoon

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Tinman….i assume it’s 1hr before kickoff,

• barkel

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM

teams are out an hour before kick off

I watch most games on eplsite.com, usually has a few links. You’ll probably want to get an ad blocker if you use it though

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Evening lads!…what time is the game tonight? 🙂

• firebug666

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:34 PM

jesper

7:45 KO mate.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:39 PM

firebug. .it’s not on tv is it?

• barkel

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM

doesn’t appear to be on tv anywhere, best you’ll get is radio by the looks of things and a highlights show at 11pm in the UK on channel 5

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM

barkel…thanks!

• AngusMitchell

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:11 PM

@Transfersage , I agree with you, let’s try and see a 4-4-2 with perez and mitrovic up front. Let Wijnaldum and Colback/Anita/Tiote/Sissoko play the centre. Sissoko is strong and has shown that he can play defensive at his last club. We need to switch things around, things ain’t working right now!

• Tsunki

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Surprising that two football heavyweights like bottom of the table nufc and the ‘ other’ Sheffield aren’t a big TV draw 🙂 I mean who else of note is playing tonight?. .

• Tsunki

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:14 PM

I think they’re covering the match on the shipping channels in morse code…

• Bobbybee

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM

I’m getting ready now – always the optimist;)

• Bobbybee

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Wrong button, 😉 getting good at that lately. As I was saying, before I rudely interupted myself. Going tonight and expect a win – always the optimist. I believe the highlights are on later if there’s no live stream. I love these games, we get tickets in the posh seats – those comfy ones near the centre line 😉 3-1 my prediction.

• Bobbybee

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Don’t see why we can’t play our best side tonight. The more they play together the better. Apart from which, they could all do with winning a game – any game. Do the confidence no harm at all – the complete opposite in fact.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Afternoon all,

Ed…Let’s hope there aren’t two holding midfielders tonight. Seem to recall someone saying we played two in the last round mind.

This is the perfect game to build some confidence and get at Wednesday.

• firebug666

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM

jesper

Sorry I never got back to you mate, just had young carers visiting.

I don’t know if there will be a stream tonight yet, sometimes even if the match is not televised there is a stream but that is usually around kick off.

We shall have to wait and see, but I will be looking and if I find one I will post a link.

• Tinman

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM

@Reyan, firebug,

Woops my mistake!! Why on earth did I think that.

New article regarding Steven Taylor. Also be sure to check out our first guest article written by John Powell discussing the effect of the increasing financial influence in football.