The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Star Player Admits To What´s Needed Tomorrow

8:43 am, Friday, September 25th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

It was certainly a low point to the season so far when we were beaten bu Championship side Sheffield Wednesday on Wednesday night 1-0, but we cannot have our players feel sorry for themselves if they are to turn this dreadful run of results around.

It´s been a nightmare start to the season for Steve McClaren but after the first five games in all competitions we showed promise.

gini wijnaldum owls

A dejected Gini Wijnaldum after the game on Wednesday

But we have lost the last three games against weaker opposition and played poorly in each game and deserved to lose.

The Arsenal game was the last game in which the lads put in an acceptable performance on the field.

Gini Wijnaldum has leadership skills and he has said this after the let down on Wednesday night:

“I think the attitude has to change – we must stay positive because if we don’t stay positive it is going to go wrong, but we need men now out on the field right now.”

“Players must want to work hard and give everything to get a good result.” “On top of that I think we must play free.”

“Sometimes I have the idea that we play with a lot of pressure on us because the results are not going well but we must play free because then it is going to get better.”

“I’m going to stay positive and I hope the rest of the team is going to stay positive also.” “Besides we must work hard and go on and, as I say, play free.”

“I think that we must be more brave,”  “The things that we can control – we can control our performance so we must work hard to make that good.”

“But in the difficult times you have in football when it’s not always going good and especially at the moment when it is not going well we must play free and show our quality.”

“I think we have quality but we’re not showing it at the moment.” “I think we must work hard on the field and as I say play free and make things happen on the field.”

Every game is a huge opportunity to turn this thing around, and while it seems extremely unlikely can you imagine what it would be like tomorrow night if we can get a win against Chelsea?

That would be our fourth successive win in this fixture, going back to when we took them apart 3-2 in early February of 2013 when Moussa Sissoko got two goals.

So it must be possible.

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Premier League

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 mindcompressor // Sep 25, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I think Janmaat should be captain this season. His attitude and will of winning/scoring is great. I’m not sure if Gini didn’t suggest that some if players don’t care…

• 2 optimistic prime // Sep 25, 2015 at 9:00 AM

So Ashley’s going to spend again in Jan.

It won’t make any difference to the plight of Nufc as he buys players to pay for the team instead of buying players to play for the team.

Ashley out

• 3 AncientC // Sep 25, 2015 at 9:03 AM

The monotonous comments from club employees that follow losing runs, seem somehow symbolic of what is actually wrong with the club.

I am sure if they keep “working hard” they will get there in the end. Just gotta “work hard” and “keep our heads up”.

I am sure 3 of the other 19 other teams in the Premier League will slip up at some point and not “work hard” enough. That is when our “hard work” will kick in and the side can start working towards safety.

I sure hope they are “working hard” on the next transfer window and looking for “hard working” players.

• 4 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 25, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I have read Wij’s article in the Journal and he wants the players to express themselves and take chances.

I think it was evident on Wed night they were sh*t scared of taken a chances, as it showed in the first 5 minutes must ofbeen about a hundred passes that went sideways backwards forward 5 yards back twent yards sideways sideways before we managed to get into their half, and promptly lost the ball. Also two many touches on the ball before passing, ball control poor and that’s before they complete the pass.
    Beating, dribbling past a player. we did not see a dribble past a player until the 80 the minute plus.
    Yeah they looked scared to try anything.

After the Chelsea Man City games which I think we will get nowt
    we need to pick up 38 points in 30 games to reach the magical 40 points and ‘safety’ – going to be some task!!!!!

• 5 hibbit // Sep 25, 2015 at 9:37 AM

this is PR damage limitation they seen the fans mood change in the last game and our pr guru keith bishop was at the game the pr shit will come thick and fast now to try and calm the uprising that they know is coming

• 6 Sav // Sep 25, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Are they seriously considering loaning out Aarons, one of the few who has the courage and skill to take his man on.

• 7 danmuamua // Sep 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Drop Thauvin, he’s a waste of oxygen.

previous post: Players Must End This Quickly