The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Aleksandar Mitrovic – I Know What I Have To Do

2:46 pm, Saturday, September 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 50 Comments

It could be a tough game for Newcastle fans later this afternoon and it’s going to be difficult to get anything out of our home game with Chelsea.

Newcastle have been without new signing Aleksandar Mitrovic for three games and we’ve lost every game and put in three poor performances – so maybe the Serbian is already more important than we thought he was to the side.

mitrovic hits the crossbar

Aleksandar Mitrovic – this header hit the cross bar

Head coach Steve McClaren has little choice but to put the 21 year-old straight back in the firing line and hope he can start scoring some goals for us – which have been in short supply this season for Newcastle.

Just like last season.

This is what the Serbian International has told The Sun today:

“Against Arsenal I was too emotional – but I’ve learned a lot from this red card. I want to show I can control my aggression and stay calm. I hope I can show everybody in the next few weeks that I am a calm guy.

“Sport is dirty if you want to win, but I’m not a dirty player. I’ll use everything I can in sport conditions but I don’t want to kick or injure anyone.

“People who are close to me know who I am. I am a really nice, family guy.”  “It is maybe my fault that everyone thinks I am a dirty guy.”

“They will now try to find me every game – not just the refs, the other players will try to provoke me. But I need to be smart and stay calm.”

It would be great to see the young striker put in a disciplined performance today – much like he did at Old Trafford when out of nowhere he headed the ball against the cross bar in that first half.

It was from a high cross from Mbemba into the box, and that was after it had been all the Red Devils in the first half – and we almost took the lead.

That’s the  threat the Serbian is – he can score at any time.

Let’s hope he can do that today – and that we can even get the first goal of the game – that would give our players a big lift.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Chelsea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

50 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM

teah!stop on the pitch and score!!!

• 3 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM

yeah even!lol

• 4 Graeme // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:48 PM

If the defense can perform thike they did against manure, Mitro has a point to prove. I’m going for a Toon win 1-0!!!
    Stranger things have happened!!

• 5 Tsunki // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:49 PM

He talks a good game, be good if he plays one today.

Funny I was just thinking how long it has been since match days were exciting, and looking forward to the Toon having a real go at one of the top teams. Must be about two years.

• 6 Tsunki // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Graeme – though not many, eh 🙂

• 7 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:50 PM

We will probably be hammered tonight but the only glimmer of hope for me is that Jose Mourinho has never won at SJP and we tend to play well against Chelsea at home

• 8 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:51 PM

its a throw away game…by that i mean we are expected to lose so why not just have a go…if we get beat but some players get confidence from there own display…..can only be good

• 9 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM

take a chancel
    cant be as bad as wed at least if we get beat its by the champions not by a championship second string!!!…..hopefully macca has sat the players down and had word about attitude, application of effort and decision making…..need big games from everyone

• 10 Tsunki // Sep 26, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Jesper – he was about £5.7 m not an awful lot of money compared to the dross we have splashed twice as much for. We knew what we were buying, yes he is a crackpot and flawed and he did pick up a few injuries but he gave a commitment when fit and ready I’ve not seen in a Newcastle shirt since those days. You’re right though, out of office hours he was a bit of a loose cannon.

• 11 JamesToon // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Just want to see us pass the ball with a purpose, overload the wings with a purpose and create 2 v 1, 3 v 2 situations, make the options to either overlap or play through the middle, and actually PRESS CHELSEA!!

• 12 Rotonda heights // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM

for a 20 year old he has already been sent off 6 times!! Nice to see NUFC scout ”good characters” !!!

• 13 will die for the toon army // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Sissoko…………….De Jong…………..Perez

Sissoko…….Wijnaldum….Colback. ..Aarons

• 14 Rotonda heights // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:02 PM

where is our Pochetinno?

• 15 Hail Wor Ashley // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Carry over from last thread.

When ascribing the adjective decent to Baton and Nolan, I first think of their character rather than footballing ability, good pros (took Barton a while to get there admittedly), their commitment and application was never in doubt, no matter the circumstances, for 90mins they were up for it for the duration, can’t say that about many of our current crop.

6or7/10 in ability by premiership standards, but you know their performances would never dip much below their talent due to their honest, decent characters and occasionally you’d get a blinder from either. Difference being they set examples for others on the pitch in their efforts even when they were having a common 6/10 day, more importantly they organised, spoke and cultivated a team spirit, which elevated other players around them.

We really do have one leader in the team, and that’s Janmaat. I reckon most of the players don’t have an iota of respect for Colo and wonder why he’s captain, which isn’t a good starting point for wanting to build a team. Colback in the middle doesn’t have the edge,personality and wiles of Barton and you rarely see him shouting, organising or using the dark arts, too naive and usually walking around sheepishly, head down shoulders hunched after another clumsy tackle.

Oh and Jesper, might come as a surprise, but NUFC isn’t all about you and your kids, it’s about winning and Barton helped us do that whilst simultaneously straightening himself out somewhat. I’d say a tale of redemption and not having to be defined by your past misdemeanours is a good lesson, unless you’re a hoighty toighty self-righteous twat!

• 16 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Springy true mate

Mitro your job is pretty simple, Stay on the pitch and score!!!!

Just watching Man Ure V Scumderland should be another thrashing for the Mackems

• 17 toonking // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM

A team doesn’t need to consist of lots such as nolan or barton, they only require 1 or 2. Machester united could have gotten rid of scoles and gigg years earlier but these players had such a great passion and leadership they were happy to keep them throughout.

A promoted team could decide to spend lots of money with intent on creating a team full of decent players but it’s a massive gamble and more often than not you’ll see the team do as QPR done and drop back down where as a team such as bournmoth only build a certain amount of it’s team around newbie, it will still contain a small number of players that play for nothing but pride and it’s these that see a game from a fans angle and know whats best.

• 18 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM

i think the players like colo as capt due to the fact he’s soft with them…..he does’nt look the type to give bollickings and grab a player for doin something stupid….makes life easy for them so no responsibility

• 19 Jib // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:07 PM

What feet that young Martial has !!!!

• 20 Jib // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM

He barbecues a mean hamburger

• 21 Jib // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Carrick still has it.

• 22 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:10 PM

hahaha…pity he does’nt roast the players now and again!!lol

• 23 Jib // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Soton 1 Swansea 0

• 24 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:13 PM

vardy for leicester

• 25 toonking // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:13 PM

leister 1-0 arsenal

leister top4 ?

• 26 SPRINGY // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:13 PM

could use a player like him for the toon

• 27 Jib // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Leicest 1 Arsenal 0 Vardy

• 28 Jib // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM

How come Kaboul is playing for the scum?
    I thought he was red carded last week !

• 29 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:18 PM

He missed the midweek game, only got a one match ban

Shouldn’t Pantillimon been sent off for handling outside the area?

• 30 TheToonKing // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM

almost every team is doing good this year and putting in performances….except us and Sunderland….so sad and pathetic…

when can we expect to beat Man City 4-1 ?

• 31 JamesToon // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Watching Stoke v Bournemouth arm.

Both teams showing us a prime example of pressing and playing with intensity and with a gameplan

• 32 firebug666 // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Take a Chancel

No mate Pantillimon doesn’t play for Newcastle, Now if it had been Krul handling outside the area?

Never ever ever going to happen, we cannot score one goal never mind four.

• 33 JackButler // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM

City beaten twice in two games and in both games their captain, Kompany was missing. You cannot underestimate the need for a seeing leader on the pitch something we haven’t had for years

• 34 JackButler // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Seeing leader?

Strong leader

• 35 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:45 PM

I said Swansea would eventually get found out, and on track to lose 3 out of last four games other one being a draw!

JB you are right Colo is no Kompany!!!

• 36 TheToonKing // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:49 PM

decent listen this –
    Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren speaks to BBC Newcastle ahead of their game against Chelsea

• 37 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:49 PM

OG for Man Ure?

• 38 JackButler // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:50 PM

In terms of playing ability, no he’s not mate as we all know too well, but he’s no captain either………………..or maybe he is as a captain is supposed to set the examp,e for others to follow and right now the majority of players don’t give a shyte, so maybe they are all following Captain Fantastic???

• 39 Jib // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Chancel you should have got yer ass to Elland Road RWC match between Canada and Italy – good game.

• 40 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Just getting ready to go to the game. Wasn’t sure I’d make it this week, having been laid up for two days with my back, but an extra dose of morphine and fingers crossed. No pain no gain lol. You’ll be pleased to know I’ve dug out my old lucky socks, despite the hole! We used to win with those and these are desperate times 😉 Mitrovic to make the difference today, holding the ball up and bringing the midfield into play. Hopefully our curse over Jose will continue and we’ll pull off a surprise result. It’s a funny old game, as jimmy greaves used to say, so you just never know.

• 41 toon-to-win // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:01 PM

mitrovic hat-trick newcastle to win 5-0 and finish in the champions league place come the end of the season! Id settle for that

• 42 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Where’s Expat? Old Blackleg’s waiting in Aspers, Stowell Street. In door, turn left, blue T shirt.

• 43 JackButler // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:06 PM

The scum loosing 0-2

• 44 JP...from The Rock // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Mitrovic- you’d better know what to do! Because the rest of the team haven’t got a clue!

• 45 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Great, tablet stopped charging and won’t work. Ffs, i want my money back. Off to the game anyway, so later – maybe, it it works again. Bugger.

• 46 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Tsunki…are you and I going to have an argument over £300k? 😉

Barton was s jail bird and a money out the window. We spend alot of money on disharmony! Money well spend my @rs€!

• 47 Take a Chancel on me // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Not a rugby union fan

• 48 firebug666 // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:30 PM

TEAM NEWS: #NUFC v @ChelseaFC – Krul; Janmaat, Mbemba, Coloccini (c), Mbabu; Sissoko, Anita, Colback, Wijnaldum; Perez, Mitrovi?.

• 49 firebug666 // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Newcastle subs: Elliot, Williamson, Lascelles, Obertan, Thauvin, de Jong, Toney. #nufc #cfc

• 50 JamesToon // Sep 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM