The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mourinho´s “Insult” After Game – Get Those Comments Framed!

9:52 am, Sunday, September 27th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 131 Comments

When things don´t go well for Jose Mourinho he can be very difficult in the TV interviews after the game. and he took what seemed to be a cheap shot at Newcastle after the game.

That was after he had admitted the Newcastle players had sweated blood for the team yesterday.

jose mourinho after the game 2-2

Jose Mourinho whispers to Steve McClaren after the game
You will never win anything?

This is what the Chelsea manager said:

“I think maybe one of the reasons why Newcastle over the years doesn’t get good positions is because of this mentality.”

“It’s because they choose some matches to sweat blood and in other matches, they don’t. This is an attitude typical of a team that wins nothing.”

“It’s bad for them because if they play like this, they win many matches at home, and they don’t. but this is their problem.”

This is not the first time it´s been said that good teams are ready for both the good teams and the poor teams.

Mediocre teams like Newcastle only inspired to turn up against the glamor clubs in the league.

And if you look at Newcastle performances this season we have played well against Manchester United, Arsenal and now Chelsea and we have played poorly against West Ham, Watford and second division  Sheffield Wednesday – with the last two being at home.

What does that tell you?

That Jose is right – and Steve McClaren should get those comments framed and hung in the dressing room.

We play Manchester City next Saturday but then we play Norwich,Sunderland, Stoke and Bournemouth in the following four games – they are some of lesser teams in the Premier League.

How will we play against those teams?

That´s the question.

If we don´t turn up for those four games we deserve to stay at the bottom of the league.

Jose Mourinho may have just helped us do a lot better this season.

How you fare in the league depends more on how you play against teams you should beat than on how you fare against the top teams in the league.

At this moment, Newcastle are living proof of that and we are second bottom of the league table and out of the League Cup.

Get those comments framed!

Tags: Interview · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League · Press Conference

131 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Sep 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM

He’s got a point mind !

• 2 Slank // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM

OneAlanShearer @ 24

I don’t think we need another defensive midfielder. I’m sure in desperate situations Mbemba could easily and effortlessly slot into that role.

But I do agree with you that what we need is someone one who can pass the ball forward. We need a Cabaye / Fabregas / Shelvey type player who can spray the passes with accuracy.

I don’t think Gini is that type of player.

• 3 nut meg // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Anyone know how many free kicks were awarded for fouls against Mitrovic yesterday…..not important I”m just curious as it seemed a lot.
    hope your wife makes a quick & full recovery.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Mourinho annoys me but he is bang on with this comment. If we can play as well as we did in the first 45 minutes we’d beat a lot of sides.

Shane our players only seem to turn up when they fancy it.

Also perez was fantastic yesterday, he was brilliant, worked very well with Mitrovic who put in a lot of effort. Much better to see, I never saw it coming.

• 5 Slank // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:04 AM

That isn’t an ‘insult’. You have chosen the wrong word and your comments don’t justify the slur.

It is a very fair comment. How else would you describe the jekyll and hyde performances ?

• 6 will die for the toon army // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Sissoko is like Colo . You look around and you see no one better than him then u keep him on
    pitch. And I think he is the French leader so wen he sits then we will have a revolt . All we will have
    to sell all the French speaking players .
    I also dont think the French speaking players r happy now at NUFC .
    1. Sissoko
    2. Thauvin
    3. Goufrann
    4. Haidara
    5. Tiote
    6. Cissse
    7. Marveaux
    8. Obertan
    They have all been side lined. Sissoko is e only one who is still guaranteed a place.

• 7 toon kk // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Its been a Newcastle problem for a long time, some (maybe most) matches we just don’t bother turning up. We are capable of decent football occasionally, just occasionally.

• 8 Jib // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:14 AM

I think that comment applies to certain players , Sissoko and Tiote for example and also to an extent to Colo and maybe even Kevin Mbabu.

But Krul Colback Anita Perez Mbemba Janmaat Mitrovic are all 100 percenters.

Of course Obertan never turns up for any opposition !!!

• 9 GS // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Mourinho is totally wrong. We have played well and beaten HIS Chelsea teams. Our record over the last 5 years against the top teams has been terrible – Arsenal, Man U, Man City. Even Spurs and Liverpool. How many points have we taken from them?

Sorry, but this is just Mourinho speak. When you look at the facts he is wrong.

• 10 Blofal // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:17 AM

A lot of hate on here for Sissoko.

To be fair at his best he is a very good player and I think last season probably sapped the confidence out of the lad. No wonder he wanted out… especially after the Carver period!

But remember everyone it was his header against West Ham last season that kept us up along with Gutierrez’s heroics.

And he also made a very good run and set Janmaat up against Watford. He used to do that very same move often with Cabaye but since he left he has really had no help.

He is a very good player and once our squad improves around him I think we will see what we saw on his very first appearance against Chelsea.

But if he does leave it will not be to a top Premier League club. He would be a bench player at all of them. Likely he would end up in Siere A to get Champions League football. I do think though that if we bring in enough quality in the next two windows he will stay.

• 11 lochinvar // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Moanrinho strikes again.
    It’s symptomatic of a little boy lost syndrome – he’s been found out as a bully by the Dr. Carnerio fiasco, unable to control Costa, alienating John Terry and knowing that Chelsea are in the near relegation zone !
    Indicative of an insecure bully who knows that his personae has gone down the plug hole so he lashes out with statements – any statements that deflect attention from his failings.
    Off to the Salt Mines soon !

• 12 sparky55 // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:20 AM

I don’t understand why we haven’t tried to play Sissoko in the position he grew up in and got his international recognition playing…Defensive midfielder…I would put him in place of Anita or Colback and see how that goes with Winji wide left and Aaarons wide right with Perez and Mitro up top

• 13 Blofal // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Haidara, Cisse, Tiote and Marveaux are all injured.

Obertan and Sissoko are playing.

Thauvin is still adapting to the Premier League and the jury is out on him.

The only one off your list who has been sidelined is Gouffran. And it would be interesting to see why. I have a feeling he might be a bit of a bad egg. And that probably started when he was bought as a striker/winger and Pardew decided to play him as a defensively focused midfielder.

• 14 Sav // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Less pressure against Arsenal, Chelsea and ManU because we were expected to lose. So the team can play with freedom. Macca should not have been urging a slow walk off and playing a last-ditch corner into the corner. We should have gone for it to do justice to the courage and effort the lads had shown in this match. Bottled. Those 3 substitutions all weakened the side.

• 15 Reyantoon // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM

How the hell we lost to sheffield & Watford???
    Still couldn’t swallow it after seeing us yest’y!!
    Great game & entertaining,
    The majority of sayings have already been said
    but my motm was Wijnaldum,eventhough all of the lads deserve a lot of credit.Wijnaldum not only scored what look like seeing off the game goal but also showed great strength,speed, technique,and tremendous character.I felt a bit optimistic again for the games ahead 🙂

• 16 Slank // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Jib @ 8

I too have noticed that Kevin Mbabu has been anonymous in all our previous games and only puts in 100% on the big occasions !

• 17 Blofal // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Everyone expects Sissoko to embark on lung busting solo runs all game down the right like he did on his debut. I think thats the problem.

When he has played Defensive Mid every comments on how he is “anonymous” or “looks lost” because he can’t do that from that position. Box to Box doesn’t mean you waltz on down the middle with ease every game. Especially in this league. But thats now what a lot of people seem to expect of him every time he gets the ball which I think is a bit unfair.

• 18 lesh // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM

We need a player that takes the game forward and I’d heard a whisper that Carr’s had a few looks at Cabaye.

Now there’s a player that could do a job for us – I wonder whether Ashley’s brave enough to take a chance on him?

• 19 cyprus // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Fair comment by Mourinho. In fact there’s a compliment somewhere in there.

Don’t get the venom re Sissoko, someone said now all climbing on the bandwagon. His assist last game was brilliant. Off game yesterday but never hid. Until you show me someone better, he starts.

Our subs were all wrong. Worse (by a country mile), Obertan. Please release. SDJ; bad luck? Can’t hack it? Losing faith. Toney: not his fault, needed a defender in.

• 20 toon kk // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:29 AM

What was proven certainly in the first half that if we aactually try we are capable of competing, but for the most we just are to lethargic.

• 21 cyprus // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:29 AM

‘someone said something’

• 22 lesh // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Forgot to add ‘Harrumph’ to my last post!

Just for clarification you understand……

• 23 spitfire_ // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:30 AM

This was not an insult, it’s the truth. And from time to time the truth hurts.

• 24 lesh // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:32 AM

According to some, Sissoko wants away.

And if others don’t get off his back (is he this months target?), he’ll be off to where he’ll feel appreciated.

• 25 Slank // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Fully understand. You are forgiven !

• 26 Slank // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Even Lesh !

• 27 toon kk // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Our biggest problem is when we come up against real pacey teams, we just don’t have the time to play our game and turn into headless chickens.

• 28 will die for the toon army // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM

I dont think Mcca sees Sissoko as a CM. Coz thats where he has to play now. he looks useless at WF.

• 29 sparky55 // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Our biggest problem is this possession based thing SM is so keep on…we get the ball…we p!ss about with it and give the opposition the time to organise and set two banks in readiness for our slow and ponderous progression up the pitch which is why we’ve averaged 2 shots on target a game this year…it’s fcuking stupidity at it’s best.

The west ham manager is a very bright lad…he understands the game and he knows it’s all about pace going forward and dismantling the two banks every team set up with pace and pressure and width.

Something we did yesterday as it happens

• 30 stuart no9 // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I hope SM Listens and learns from mourino. He talks a lot of sence and if he dosnt listen to him and take those comment on board , we will go down and he will be sacked . Simple as that , IMO i think Chelsea were very lucky they played us yesterday . Any other team in the league would have beaten them yesterday they were that bad in the first half . I don’t think yesterday’s point proves anything , judge us against a good team .

• 31 cyprus // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM

no 9,
    That’s unfair on NUFC. Mourinho had the same point of view, ie. that Chelsea had its worst half in his tenure.

Well, the opposition contributed (a little bit?) to that. It wasn’t just Chelsea playing poorly. Matic taken out of a game? Fabregas invisible? Hazard running into alleys? Remy out of it? I for one prefer to give credit to the toon.

• 32 hibbit // Sep 27, 2015 at 10:58 AM

slank were do you sit in the ground the crowd were amazing yesterday 100% behind the team for the whole game never heard the chelsea fans once

• 33 magpie6699 // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:03 AM

First half was our best performance of 2015. Brilliant! Should restore pride and confidence but they need to maintain this standard. Mitro’s best game – and he didn’t get a card! Gino had a great game and Colback played better until he was unfortunately subbed at half-time. Although Iberian did so-so, I think part of the reason we had to yield more to Chelsea pressure was the loss of Colback – nioy something I thought I’d be saying on the basis of his last performances. Mbabu – unbelievable and as for Ayoze, I love that man – he is definitely becoming my favourite Toon player. He’s so tricky and works his socks off too.
    I’m not sure I get those people who think we should have gone for a goal late on rather than playing out for a draw. I for one was happy at that late stage for us to see it out.The momentum was all with Chelsea, especially after they were able to bring on their usual Multi-millon pound bench players and I could easily see them clearing a corner and hitting us on the break with a late winner. Then where would our confidence be ? I’m sure if that had happened we’d have had people bleating on here about how naive we’d been.
    Have to say yesterday reminded me of why I keep going to SJP because I was beginning to forget the reasons.

• 34 magpie6699 // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Iberian??? Obertan!

• 35 Reyantoon // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM

I’m not sure Janmaat should be criticized deep but he should have done better before the ball was passed to Ramirez for the first stunner.
    Chelsea players changed their attack late on in to shooting from distance after unable to break us down.SM should have added another defender to tighten spaces up but…
    The 2nd goal,was lucky freekick,that looked like accidental charge or tackle by Sissoko.The ref had good game but for that one,he became too quick to award it.No one to blame for the goal as it was very confusing ball to handle.

• 36 croftus5678 // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:15 AM

with reguards to sissoko.

not his best game by far as sissoko usually stands out as he’s such a big presence and we had so many good players yesterday they made sissoko look very poor.

there are always star performers and the weaker links in every game and yesterdays was sissoko !

i wouldnt want to see him leave as he’s a beast and offers us so many usefull abilities but i agree he should be in field not on the wing a cm is his best position imo so he can run here / there and everywhere and use his speed/str to the best of his ability.

• 37 Fostino // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Jose is bang on. It’s a cheap shit at the nufc managers perhaps. His comments reflect what the toon fans think. I aggree ed …frame those words. That’s the standerd now. The starting 11 yesterday is pretty close to the best we can manage till xmas anyway. Only players I coukd see breaking in is dummett…Rolando. .de jong .thauvin..perhaps tiote. That’s the core of tbe team now. I’d sooner riverie cone on then Toney perhaps

• 38 Ian Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Reyantoon- Wijnaldum favours a role behind the striker but was re positioned wide I suspect to protect Mbabu. In fact I thought he exposed Ivanovic’s lack of pace and slowness on the turn. He put in an early good cross for Mitrovic and this is something we will need to improve on as a team. The crowd was fired up and the team movement was by far the best I have seen this season. Making it easier for the DM’s to find a forward pass.

Wijnaldum is an intelligent player who can appear to be not involved but his movement in and around the box belies that suggestion. Overall it was not the changing formation but the introduction of someone to hold the ball up front which enabled a pattern of play to evolve.

• 39 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:21 AM

You have to take everything The Chosen One says with a pinch of salt. He’s a performer as much as a manager. That said, he’s still one of the best in the business on the football side of things and one of the shrewdest minds in the game. As for Sissoko. I’ve always been a fan, said many times I thought he could be one of the best players in the PL given the right circumstances. But I’ve finally lost patience. He’s been awful this season. He has the tools, but not the ticker, and I think we just can’t afford to keep carrying him and hoping for the best. We should accept any reasonable offer we get for him in January.

• 40 Ian Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM

We did press the ball for a change. I suspect the lack of closing down of Ramires was as much to do with tiredness as anything. It seems to me that a number of our players are only now close to the required fitness levels.

• 41 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I was in the Gallowgate yesterday and the only time I heard Chelsea fans was when they scored apart from that it was wall to wall TOON noise.
    Mitro led the line well – but – has to watch the ball as well as the man…and I would like him to challenge (jump off the ground) in the air a bit more. Apart from that a he was a breath of fresh air up front and got back to defend too!

• 42 SPRINGY // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM

morning all
    mourinho’s comment is right the players attitude and application is the sides biggest weakness…..and im not just jumpin on the bandwagon i actually stated this last week……not bothered if we lose if they play,try and commit like yesterdays showing…..attitude of a big time charlie…..try against bigger sides probs thru fear of gettin hammered and embarrassed…and then just think they need to show up on the night to win against lesser sides….probs why we are constantly booted out of cup competitions so early….last nights performance was great…cant knock it…pity they didnt do that wed and we’d still be in the cup!!

• 43 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:37 AM

We always look to be unfit and lacking stamina compared to our opponents, whoever they are. Every player we send out on loan seems to draw a comment from their manager to that effect. It’s been this way for years. How hard can it be to get players fit, if nothing else? I just don’t get it.

• 44 Jib // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I don’t think it is venom re Sissoko
    He is a fine player

The comments are fair because he defo plays better against quality opposition.

A bit like the Wales rugby team who beat England at Twickers and will probably lose to Fiji in Cardiff

That last bit was for Welshie 😎

• 45 SPRINGY // Sep 27, 2015 at 11:44 AM

i’ve heard this a few times about fitness,from fans and pundits….so there maybe something in this….2nd half yesterday we seemed to back off.. the intensity dropped but was’nt sure if it was under instruction,tiredness or just lacked confidence when they came out……but the fitness might be the answer as they worked bloody hard in the first half…..but should have more in the tank if that is the case

• 46 Moonraker15 // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Mourinho is a prcik ! He never gives credit to the other team unless he wins! It’s easy to be magnanimous in victory! I watched his interview and there was not one word of how well we played in the first half only how bad they were!

I guarantee if they had got the winner he would now be saying how good Newcastle played which then reflects on them!

The man is a spoilt brat ! Rant over!

• 47 Reyantoon // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM

@38 Ian Toon…spot on and well expressed.
    Wijnaldum indeed is an intelligent player and this is the 2nd time i saw more effort and great game from him.Some stunning strength,control
    and wonderful bursting runs.
    Also correct the availability of Mitrovic certainly made an impact.He bullied Chelsea defenders with his strength, hold up play and made them unsettling and tired.Good effort overall from the lads,despite late disappointment.This is something that McLaren needs to build on if he thinks he still is the right man to change the clubs fortunes!!

• 48 Graeme // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:10 PM

José’s comment is actually spot on. It has been the same problem for over 50 years – we were exactly the same in the 60’s – apart from one notable exception. Then Keegan changed things for a short time, SBR managed to keep things progressing, but, generally we have always been a mediocre side with a magnificent support.

• 49 Moonraker15 // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I can’t believe there are people on here actually criticising the Toon this morning! That was a fine performance never mind what the tosser Mourinho says just cos he’s got a shit defence.

• 50 bettyswallocks // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Disappointed with Colo’s gutless defending of Ramirez’s goal. He turned his back and ducked. Turn your back ok but at least strand tall and make it harder to score.

At least Taylor with his faults would have stood up and took the brunt of the shot.

• 51 Moonraker15 // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Berry that’s why taylor’s always injured

• 52 Moonraker15 // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM

• 53 hibbit // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM

springy i think we need to remember the cockup charnley made with or preseason playing second rate teams on poor pitches and the amount of air miles only us and the scum moved from game to game other prem teams in the us operated from a base

• 54 bettyswallocks // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Moonraker … It’s difficult to sustain a serious injury from a football.

• 55 stuart no9 // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:22 PM

moon raker —– they might have a shit defence at the minute ,ours is shit 24/7 jose can say what he wants . hes earned that , chelsea will get better , no one will argue with that ,

Cyprus. i didnt intend to rubbish the lads yesterday. yeah it was a gritty performance in the first half, they needed it however , my concern is the way chelsea played yesterday , most teams would have taken 3 points of them , all would have got at least a point, thats just my view on what i seen yesterday

• 56 the broons // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:22 PM

PLayers hsouldnt be turning their back full stop! i have had plenty of ballls in the face, a bit of sting that dissapears almost imediately, conceding a goal is far worse.

• 57 the broons // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM

However it was an incredible strike.

• 58 Jib // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM

the broons – i have had plenty of ballls in the face

Por favor – what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom !!!!

• 59 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:47 PM

The broons

Not many players will stand there and take a hit from the ball, I’d say 90% would turn there back…..except for olivier Barnard who was almost knocked out by Robert!! The problem was that no one closed down Ramires.

• 60 toonbrother // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM

……..Sissoko (c) Colback annita Gini

• 61 bettyswallocks // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Broons…… Surely it makes more sense to turn your back and take it from behind.

• 62 Thump // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM

@the broons: I remember having that happen to me a few years back a week after having my wisdom tooth out. Absolutely fscking floored me. Stopped the goal, but also had to leave the pitch to try and stop the bleeding.

That being said, a ball coming at me in the Northern League is very different to a 55mph screamer with a premier league regulation ball inflated to 12PSI. Those premier league balls are bloody hard, you know.

• 63 Reyantoon // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM

bettyswallocks….Colo gutless defending?
    First time i disagree with you.Colo was not assigned to defend Ramirez in the first place.
    It was the job of one of the midfielders,who were a bit distracted when Fabrigas continually switched to the left.Plus there was too much space b/n colo & Ramirez when the ball reached Ramirez,so colo had no option other than sliding to do something.It’s hardly his fault but one of the midfielders!!

• 64 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Last time I checked Mourinho was the chelsea manager not the newcastle manager, he gave an assessment of his team and not the opposition because he managers the opposition.

We were very good in that 1st half but they were utter dross, do you think if they played the way they did in the 2nd half for the first period we would have got a point?

• 65 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM

On the game I was glad to see Colback play his best game since he last played Chelsea, Mitrovic was excellent as a focal point for all attacks, holding it up well etc. Perez and mbabu were both outstanding, I believe collymore gave mbabu MOTM on talks port. He kept quiet a player who’s won 20 plus trophies in his career and his winning of the ball back started the move for the 2nd goal. He also did ivanovic in the first half an got in a decent cross…..better defensively than haidara yet not a natural LB.

• 66 dogfish // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Can’t believe some people are suggesting it was Chelsea’s first half performance that got us a point.

It was our first half performance! We were brilliant, positive attacking. Second half we dropped deeper and invited the pressure. The only reason we didn’t win was because of our second half performance. If we could have kept the level up for the whole 90 it would be three points in the bag. I think it will come in time.

Mitro and Perez both looked great up front and was nice to see a change in formation.

Sissoko does worry me though. Don’t think he’s heart is in it. He needs dropping and telling he’s not as good as he thinks he is.

• 67 hibbit // Sep 27, 2015 at 12:59 PM

toonbrother…sissoko captain ya daft

• 68 bettyswallocks // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Reyantoon….. I thought overall Colo played well , I was referring to that one incident. If he had stood tall either forwards or backwards, he would have blocked the shot.

• 69 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:01 PM

They were shocking and we were very good in the first half. If they started the game like they played in the 2nd half then we wouldn’t have won. The 2nd half proved that as they had some clear cut chances to win it. Ramires should have buried that free header!!

• 70 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM

There were two major turning points in the game imo.

The first was the loss of Colback at half time, had he not been injured I don’t think we would have been (so) outplayed in the second half. I don’t see why so many people diss him, he does exactly the job he is meant to do and does it brilliantly.

The second was when Jose brought Ramires on, I was thinking ‘oh no’ at the time as I reckon he is probably their best player and don’t understand why he isn’t an automatic starter for them. His goal was the confirmation for my fears.

I wasn’t bothered about the two other subs by them as I felt that Jose’s attempt to beef up the attack might leave them more open to some exploitation by us.

I went for Perez as our mom but easily have gone for Mitrovic or even Collo who I thought had a great game.
    Had Colback not gone off he could easily have figured.

Anyway that’s enough waffle from me, roll on an easy 3 points next week?

• 71 JamesToon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Hopefully Schoenmaker will be working on the fitness issue.

• 72 dogfish // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Our toon

I don’t completely disagree, they were bad in the first half but that was also down to us playing very well.

Second half we backed off, our performance dropped and we didn’t make it as difficult for Chelsea as we could have.

I just hope it wasn’t down to instruction and it was a combination or confidence, fitness and a hangover from pardew and carvers negative tactics.

I think both teams helped each other to look good in both halves. So a draw was a fair result.

• 73 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Colback played in the 2nd half

• 74 welshgeordie9 // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Our Toon

We should have been 3 or 4 nil up by half time, overall Chelsea were crap, 2 shots on target to went in, they were lucky.

• 75 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Our Toon

He was substituted early on was he not, or have I gone totally senile.

• 76 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Football is all about opinions, we played well but they shite in the first half. Do you think, I agree we dropped off but that had alot to do with the fact that we had to work harder as we had to chase the ball more. They turned up expecting to roll us over in the first half and it showed in how poor they were. We were excellent though and took full advantage.

2nd half we wanted to hold on but we also chased alot of shadows and held on, in 7 minutes they could have scored 4 and won the game. Chuffed and disappointed with a point though as I feel we should have hung on

• 77 welshgeordie9 // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:15 PM

I either said last week or the week before that we should change our formation, 4231 wasn’t working, we looked so much better 442 finally someone up front with mitrovic.

• 78 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:16 PM

He went off early in the 2nd half but they were dominating the ball at that point, when colback went off the course of the had already swung. He did have a fantastic game and picked up another yellow…..but overall he was very good

• 79 Reyantoon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:18 PM

bettyswallocks….yes,overall he had a great game 🙂 and i understand what u are saying but even if he stood up firm upfront or back,he won’t block it as it was shot a bit to the left with speed..

• 80 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:18 PM

We played 4231 mate, Perez played behind mitrovic in the hole. Perez was stretching for his chance in the first half and Janmaat should have scored. Apart from that I can’t remember another clear cut chance so confused how you could think we of been 4 up

• 81 welshgeordie9 // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM

I hope Mbabu plays against Man City, he had both hazard and pedro in his pocket.

• 82 jimmysmith // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Sissoko is certainly among our better players. He’s struggled because we’ve so often been second best. On the occasions we’ve played well he’s most generally among our best, if not best performer. If Newcastle turn this season around, I’ll wager he’ll play an instrumental part.

• 83 welshgeordie9 // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Our Toon

I think with our goal, janmaat had two chances and I’m sure sissoko had a good chance when he hit the ball wide of the keeper.

• 84 dogfish // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Jimmy I agree sissoko is one of our better players, I just get the feeling he thinks he’s undroppable and I’m getting tired of him running in to players.

If we’d played like we had in the first half for the full 90 we would have won.

It looked 442 for me.

• 85 mindshaft // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Thought Colback played well yesterday , even played forward passes – shame he had to go off on 54 mins as game changed once he did
    Janmaat should have stopped the pass to Ramirez but was on his heels and let the ball roll away – Ramirez shot was a rocket but Gini or Anita should have been tracking him
    2nd goal was disappointing, Krul or defence should have attacked the ball instead of just letting it sail into the net

• 86 lesh // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Our Toon

You’re right about Colbeck playing in the second half.

He was on the park for nine minutes before being subbed on 54 minutes.

• 87 Our Toon // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM

I’m off to play footy so tbc but before I go sissoko had a shot from 20 yards which went wide hardly a good chance, Fabregas forced a save from 20 plus yards. Janmaat had 1 chance forcing begovic into a double save

• 88 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:46 PM

How many goals have we given away in the last 2 years that have gone straight in from free kicks whipped in from about the same spot.
    I can think of a least another three… teams know what to do whip the ball in between Krul and the defenders. Watch Krul quite often he walks forward towards the edge of the six yard box then goes back towrds the line when the free kick goes in which leaves him flat-footed and leaves a gap for heir attackers to exploit.

need to practice a strategy for defending free-kicks.

• 89 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Jose Mourinho words translated into simple words.

I couldn’t get my way at St James park, & I never do get my way at St James park, it’s not fair!!!
    I’m so used to gettin everything I want, & when I don’t, I throw all the toys out of my pram!!!
    Last year I blamed the ball boys. This year I will go one worse, by talkin about what newcastle have won, it helps me to fill my insecurities.

Jose u bitter old man, wot ever happened to sayin well done. Why don’t u keep teaching all the young football fans who admire u to be bitter.

• 90 why oh why // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:52 PM

I have said all season I don’t understand the reasoning behind a 5-4-1 formation
    Yday proves me right
    Top drawer lads
    Mbabu has no fear against pedro a supposed worldy
    Ha ha
    Same next week pls.
    Gini in his preferred position top drawer mitrovic outstanding
    Perez was just Perez

• 91 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Any way I hope the players realised yesterday that if they play well the team plays well then the crowd will respond like yesterday –
    never mind the Gallowgate End the whole ground was bouncing – lets see more days like yesterday than the crap delivered the previous two games

• 92 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 27, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Somebody tell me, was yesterday a 4231 or 442. Or did we keep mixing it up between the two??

• 93 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM

I think it was a fluid 4-4-2 using Perez as the floating player going from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1plus Anita played further forward when Colback was on.
    Well that’s how it looked to me but what do I know!!!

• 94 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:04 PM

it was a well balanced 442 formation, people may say it turned into a 4231 but it didn’t.

• 95 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Mbabu needs to stay at LB for me, the guy was world class, he’s tall, strong and has good pace on him for a defender ( I think Pedro shit himself a few times going up against him lol )

I also like the fact that he can cut in to cause problems and chase the man in possession there was one time he was at LB position, chased the man in possession ended up in RM and won the ball back, passed the ball forward then tracked back in position.

He won’t have this movement in CB so we need to keep in at LB.

• 96 toon kk // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Don’t get me wrong i was pleased with our first half performance, but it was more down to Chelsea being poor. Had they played as well in the first half as they did in the second we would have been beaten.
    But we’ll have to be pleased with a point against Chelsea, alot would have taken a draw before we kicking off.

• 97 geordie157 // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Thought McLaren got most things right yesterday, just with the exception of Obertan.

I’ve tried to stick by him, hoping he will come good but he wont. He effectively made us look like a side with 10 men, I was actually in shock when he made one tackle.

Wouldn’t have him on the bench, I would have put Bigi on the bench.

Just hope the lads play with that amount of effort more often and McLaren sticks with Perez in the side

• 98 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM

toon kk

I honestly don’t think it was Chelsea being poor I think it was due to the fact we wanted it more than them.

When watching the first half our defence was pushed up and we kept Chelsea in there own half, it’s also not the first time this has happened to Chelsea.

• 99 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Don’t want to rabbit on too much about Colback but his effectiveness actually ended towards the end of the first half when he was first injured and was nearly subbed then.

There was the Mitrovic header which on another day might have been a bit closer, two shots by Janmaat, one by Peres only foiled by a good save, Sissoko shot wide and I’m struggling here but wasn’t there another close but wide shot. On a better day we could have 3 or 4 ahead.

Aarons instead of Obertan might have been a better change but I think he did ok for the time he was on.

• 100 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM

People say if Chelsea played the first half like the second they would of won – well I can say if we played the second half as the first we would of won.

Overall though Newcastle were simply the better team with weaker players and lots of concern.

• 101 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Very difficult to tell which formation it was we actully played. But it worked especially first half.

Lots of debate on sissoko here, my opinion is only reason he is an automatic starter is he can run box to box on that wing.
    I think gigi is better on the other wing as he can do the same & has defensive abilities about him.
    I think perez can do a job on the wings aswel, but why shift him when he’s doing up front

• 102 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

Was it not Anita but got blocked?

• 103 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:29 PM

The beauty about this is now McClaren needs to look at Sissoko in the middle with Winaldum on L/R wing and Aarons or Thauvan on the other side.

In a way Winaldum acted as a inside forward cutting inside on the left wing and also being right footed { crossing with the left foot looked very good for him )

But who can take up the other wing role?

Obertan, Aarons or Thuavan?

• 104 croftus5678 // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM

imo it was

as it should be though and credit to the players because they moved for eachother to be available for the ball and supported the player with the ball it was hard to see what formation we played.

its why wijnaldum/colback/anita/perez got so much space imo as they couldnt figure out who was supposed to pick them up.

and mitrovic unselfishley took the 2 man markers at time to free space for others to run into those wholes.

• 105 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM

If Colback isn’t injured when we play Man City McClaren should keep the same team.

• 106 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Another game. Still no win. Man City away next week. It’s a tough league.

• 107 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Nezza, you might well be right, I thought it was Perez but at my age it’s easy to get things wrong. 🙂

Who was who laid on that pass, it was a beauty, Obertan very nearly had a similar one which could have gave him the chance for glory, small margins!!

• 108 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:35 PM

To me it look more like a very fluid 4411.

Perez came back to help out the midfield whilst Mitrovic stayed up top which makes a 4411 but once the ball was on the wings in attack it became a attacking 442 or a diamond 41212 with Anita pushing up and Colback dropping back.

Saying that it could of been all 3 styles in 1.

• 109 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:35 PM

By the way, well done The Heed, just hope they can keep it going.

• 110 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Reading the comments before the match writing off Mbabu, you’ve got to laugh. Now after the match we’re told he’s not a left back. Why? Because he’s right footed and can’t contribute to our attacks. I have to say it was a welcome aspect of our game having a left back who stuck to his defensive duties and who didn’t worry about anything else.

• 111 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Are we saying that we are now playing ‘Total Football’ There’s so many Dutch players are we becoming the new Ajax. 🙂

• 112 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

I know that Winjaldum and Mbabu made some cracking passess but on your statement I think it was on a counter which I think it was Sissoko ( my mind is going now lol )

• 113 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:42 PM

I hadn’t seen the team sheet till close to kick-off so Mbabu was a bit of a surprise to me.

One thing he does have is speed, I think he could probably play anywhere in defence, more or less did!!

• 114 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Colo seems determined to keep Toonbrother’s predictions alive. 2 – 0 up and he does his usual. More concerned about getting hurt than putting a full bodied block in. Flinches; turns his back on it; bang. The rest is history.

• 115 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

Agree mate, I didn’t see the lineup until the match kicked off but I said to the wife that Mbabu is starting at LB and I think Pedro will shit bricks seeing a tall guy chasing him about.

And it worked lovely lol

• 116 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I wonder why Toonbrother has such hatred for Collo?

He didn’t sleep with his wife did he?

• 117 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:47 PM

I do like Jose best in the world I reckon and he never really skates the Toon he has decent links with us through Sir Bobby. Very odd his record at St Janes though if we keep it up maybe later in his career he will come to us just to prove he can win here?

• 118 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:47 PM

To those who wrote off Mbabu before the game, is Lascelles as bad as Mbabu?

• 119 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:50 PM

funny you say that because I was talking to the miisus about SBR and Jose and I stated maybe Sir Bobby asked Jose if he ever were to play against Newcastle at SJP that he should never win there!?

• 120 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Toonbrother is right about Colo. He no doubt hates him because he sees him as a liability and a major cause of our defensive ineptitude. We’ve been pointing out his failings leading to our misfortune all season. If Colo hadn’t bottled his challenge on Ramirez, we’d have won that game in all likelihood.

• 121 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:51 PM

I didn’t see many write him off before KO but realistically being underwhelmed by a reserve CB playing at LB against the reigning champions isn’t surely a shock

• 122 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:52 PM

I would need to see the Ramires goal again but I thought he wasn’t closed down quickly enough by anyone although one of our players did attempt a sliding block. I’m not sure that Collo was close enough to block the shot back turned or not.
    I reckon we have to put it down to a cracking effort by him rather than blaming individuals.

I don’t think Collo is a bottler.

• 123 WWSBRD // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Haha u never know its a very odd one though is there any other ground he has had such an issue with? Maybe it’s his ongoing tribute

• 124 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

True mate but isn’t all of our defenders a liability though?

I would rather have Collo in defence than Willo.

Shame though that Mbiwa isn’t here because I think Mbiwa and Mbemba would of made a good partnership.

• 125 croftus5678 // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM

i dunno about the writing off part but surely no one not even his die hard fans would have htought he would have done as good as he did !

i’ve watched the lad a lot and tbh that performance was def up there in his best 10 performances that i’ve seen at youth / u21 level !

i thought it was very unfair to play the lad out of position and against the likes of chelsea who lets face it are one of the best attacking teams out there ! so even i thought chelsea would try and take advantage of him and that he would fold under the pressure.

the lads come very good and i hope he continues esp at cb as if he can adapt with no fear like he obv can then we have ourselves the cb we was crying to be signed in a few years time ! get the lad loaned out for a year and lets see how consistant he is.

• 126 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

Iv’e seen the replays and to honest with the power of that shot any defender would turn there back against a shot like that.

Overall though Collo made some cracking tackles and blocks through out the game so we can’t fault him for that.

• 127 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 27, 2015 at 3:00 PM

I didn’t think Mitrovic had a great game. However, he was a round peg in a round hole.

Newcastle need a strike partnership. Mitrovic and Perez made a decent fist of it. I just can’t see either of them getting enough goals.

That said success this season will be avoiding relegation. The big thing will be making sure Perez survives the goal celebrations.

• 128 SPRINGY // Sep 27, 2015 at 3:02 PM

krul=good game,few great saves but kickin as ever a worry get nervous when the ball played back to him.
    janmaat=good,attacked well so always goin to look a little weaker at the back,decision making and shooting needs a little work
    mbemba=class,good strong tackles early on got the crowd going
    colo=steady,better then recent games so cant complain,good tackles and looked more aggresive
    mbabu=man of the match,strong,quick aggresive and chased everything never seemed to let anyone past him….impressive debut
    colback=best game for a while,tireless worker,gave them no time to look up to pass,passing looked alot better then recently
    anita=good game seemed to look for the forward pass alot more then in other games this season,worked well chasing and harrassing with colback actually looked like a decent pair,a cracking pass for perez goal.
    gini=great game,strengtth pace,passing,graft and a goal…just what u want from an attacking midfielder.
    sissoko=steady game,grafted well and tried to get forward without creating to much but the effort was there if not the quality.
    mitrovic=fantastic,cool,calm but as strong as a bull harrassed the defence and worked his arse off,great fighting spirit just needs a goal,loved to see him geeing the crowd and the team up during the game and when he came off.
    perez=class act lovely touches and movement and never fails to graft,great skill and control for his goal.
    obertan=showed little did’nt seem to get in the game.
    toney=didnt get to many touches
    de jong=got clattered by ramirez …only thing that happened in the time he was on the pitch.
    good performance yestereday but will mean nothing if they dont keep it up,not bothered if they lose if they work as hard as that and play as well

• 129 NezzaNUFC // Sep 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

Yeah it wasn’t his best game but this is the first time these two young lads played together up top.

Both have different roles and they both had good positioning, a few more games with these two up top we could see a Shearer and Bellamy link up again.

One who is tall and strong with a good header on him ( Mirrovic )

One with speed and Technique ( Bellamy )

Very good combo if you ask me.

• 130 Moonraker15 // Sep 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Stuart number9
    Mourinho yes he can say what he likes; earned it! What does that mean? he didn’t give any credit to our team and the only reason he mentioned us being up for some games and not others is he wants us to be UP for the Man City game. Similar to Fergie years ago.

• 131 Moonraker15 // Sep 27, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Our toon
    we scored a great goal from a corner in the second half and I would say Colback going off was the biggest factor in the second half as putting Obertan on was like playing with 10 men he is useless as a team player.

Your point about Mourinho being Chelsea coach doesn’t stop him giving us credit for playing well.

He is a bitter man and if they had won he would have been saying how well we played giving him reflected glory.

At the end of the day they scored with an unstoppable shot from 25 yards and a dodgy free kick despite all their dominance.

And by the way they’ll win fcuk all this season with that defence.

previous post: Newcastle Star Both Really Happy And Very Sad