The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle May Have Found Something Really Important

10:24 pm, Monday, September 28th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

One of the highlights of the game on Saturday was the form of Aleksandar Mitrovic and it looks like Newcastle could have a top player on their hands this season – he made a huge difference to the team and that´s saying something,  especially since he has only just turned 21.

Another positive was the partnership with Ayoze Perez and it looks like these two will be the strike partnership for Newcastle this season – and they worked very well together first time out.

aleksandar mitovic ayoze perez

A great shot of Aleksandar Mitrovic and Ayoze Perez
The Serbian is a real character!

Ayoze Perez scored his first goal of the season and it shouldn´t be too long before Aleksandar gets on the goal trail – maybe at Manchester City next Saturday?

The physical presence of the Serbian takes some pressure off Perez and he can get into spaces and we know the Spanish striker can score when he gets a chance – his goal on Saturday was excellent.

Ayoze has talked to the Chronicle today about his promising partnership with the Serbian:

“We felt comfortable together.” “Mitro and me worked closely together.” “With balls like Vurnon’s into the box we will score many goals.”

“He´s a really good player.“ “We have a good connection with each other.” “We have to take advantage of it.”

“I was really happy to get my first goal of the season but at the same time a bit sad because we dropped two points.”

“Maybe it was one of the harder chances.” “But it went in so I was happy to get it.” “It helps the team by scoring and that’s my job as a striker.”

“It’s another tough game for us next Saturday.” “But we must keep up the standards and work-rate.” “If we do then we will be a very good team.”

“I remember three games again after Arsenal and even after Old Trafford, saying, ‘Boys, we’ve got a team in here.”

“It might not start to win yet, it might take a while, but we have got a team in here.” “That’s the standard.”

With Newcastle looking dangerous up front at last, that provided a threat and it took the pressure off the rest of the side.

At last we seem to have a couple of strikers who can work well together, and they are both very young.

The defense looked solid again and it was great to see Kevin Mbabu turn in such a great game playing out of position at left back on his Premier League debut.

The goal for Newcastle has to move up the table before the end of the year and while the game at the Etihad may be tough, Manchester City have lost their last two games so if we can score first – then who knows what may happen.

We´re still a bit nervous being one place off the bottom of the league.

It´s the two week International break coming up after next weekend, so a decent result would be great.

Ayoze´s right in that we must turn up for every single game now, especially against the lesser sides in the Premier League so we can start to pick up some wins.

If we can play like we did last Saturday we could even get something out of the game on Saturday.

Comments welcome,

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Ayoze Perez · Newcastle News · Premier League

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Average_Contents // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Vernon must have mahoosive balls in order to reach the box from where he was stood 😉

• 3 Average_Contents // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Oh yeah.

Fat slug out!

• 4 Jib // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Mitrovic needs to change his goal celebrations or Ayoze won’t survive the season.

• 5 Jib // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:31 PM

As the weeks pass , that “Ashley Out” crap looks progressively dumber.
    AC Dumb JfA Dumber

• 6 toonbrother // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Mitrovic is just too amped up for his own good
    he needs to calm down
    Also maybe we should wait till he has scored his first goal before crowning him the best thing since slice bread

• 7 welshgeordie9 // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Ashley out chants are getting very boring.

• 8 ZIPPIE57 // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM

well said Jib , its a childish race to get the first $hit boring same old yawn yawn crap boring yawn yawn crap boring etc, armchair supporters

• 9 mikeyconcon // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:57 PM

toonbrother – He did play well on Saturday though. I agree more is needed. He still needs to make up for that stupid red against Arsenal. He was class against Chelsea

• 10 toonbrother // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:11 PM

i agree he was very good on saturday

• 11 Shot Bru // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Ashley Out!

• 12 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Mitrovic showed he’s willing to fight for this club, more importantly he’s willing to fight for the shirt. I’d rather have an amped up player rather than the heartless morons who have played previously that have no fight in them.

You just can’t win at this club, I want more of what mitrovic did at the weekend, he got the silent lot going by telling them to shout and support the team. Players like mitrovic will always play on the edge but I’d rather take that than players who are just happy to be here

• 13 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Oh and btw

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Jeff…I know what you meant! It’s just not what really makes football interesting…

…it’s entertainment we want!

The two words PL football always fall back on are “tracking back”! That’s where English football is stuck at the moment while leagues as the German and the Spanish are getting away!

• 15 Our Toon // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:49 PM

The premier league isn’t the most competitive, there’s a need for the league to be something now it’s behind the German and Spanish league in terms of quality, hence this false notion that its the most competitive league, thats something which is based on utter drivel. The premier league is a decent league, the standard and quality has dropped yet it’s still the richest league.

We are miles behind Spain and Germany, and the Italians are catching us up!!

• 16 jimmysmith // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Perez has taken all of seven games to nail down a spot under a new coach. Ne is the real deal. A front four of Sissoko Perez, Mitro, and Wijnaldum, has massive potential, it allows us to play a little tighter, if we need to, and get the full backs forward, and a player to hit, and bodies into the box. Perez in particular is a gem. He appears to have everything.

• 17 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 29, 2015 at 12:07 AM

I see Ranger has opened up and said sorry to everyone past and present.

• 18 jimmysmith // Sep 29, 2015 at 12:13 AM

The side played some real fast possession football at times. Early balls to feet, one and two touches. The ball was zipping around at all angles, at pace with bodies moving into space one step ahead of their opponent to give and go again. I think that is McClaren style,and we seem to have a core of players who can do it. I saw moments of teamwork on that pitch that I have not seen for some time from a Newcastle side in recent memory.

• 19 sickandtired // Sep 29, 2015 at 12:48 AM

@JimmySmith – who ‘recent’ is your memory?

A front 4 containing Sissoko right now would appear to be the worst thing possible. He cost us both goals because of his crappy challenging/defending and he surely did bugger all going forward.

As for Perez, Schteeve would drop him faster than a hot brick if he had another ‘striker’ to play. What do you think would happen if Austin comes in January?

A team signed for youth, where youth can never get a game. Mbabu is a prime example. Last year of his contract and only now we see him, and boy does he look a player. That’s Ashley’s Club for you.

@ Jib – as the weeks progress we are still holding up the PL. If you don;t believe that fat idiot and his ‘model’ is to blame for all then you are in need of a lobotomy.

Between him and Carr, Pardew, Kinnear, Wise, Llambias and Jimenez, a hopeful club has been decimated.

• 20 jimmysmith // Sep 29, 2015 at 1:32 AM

You sem unwilling to give McClaren a chance, based on what’s gone on before him, and despite our most recent match that provided evidence to the contrary. Pal we played beautifully in patches. If anything, Mbabu is a prime example of youth getting a game. As is Haidarra, Perez, Mbemba, Dummet, Mitrovic,Thauvin, Aarons, Sammi, Abeid etc. Simpson, in explaining Mbau’s selection has come out and said whats the point in having an academy if you don’t play them. What does that suggest about McClaren? Perez would be dropped for Austin? Based on what exactly.? And Sissoko has shown himself a marauding player of the highest calibre when up for it. You might think the club has let him down, rather than the other way around, and this side is showing a capacity to play on the front foot in a way that might inspire and unleash the best in him.Which is quite formidable.

• 21 lovey // Sep 29, 2015 at 1:38 AM

two potentially good player,s that could be hero,s on Tyneside, nless Ashley decides he wants his money back and sells one or both ? if he does then I hang my supporters cap up for good after all I have followed them for 70yrs good luck stay fit and play well

• 22 lesh // Sep 29, 2015 at 2:20 AM

Does this mean there’ll be no more of Charlie Austin?

• 23 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 29, 2015 at 2:32 AM

Surely Mitro and Perez have to start now?

Austin will replace Cisse hopefully.

• 24 jimmysmith // Sep 29, 2015 at 2:40 AM

Well, like it or not, putting in a shift and running about is a prerequisite in this league. I can’t think of a side that’s coped and hasn’t. Admittedly, I don’t watch a lot of football from other leagues, but I’ve seen enough of Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real and Atletico Madrid, to know that they press as a unit relentlessly, with and without the ball. The criticism of the EPL is that is technically inferior, but intensity and competitiveness is a hallmark of all the great sides in the modern game.

• 25 Brian Pinas // Sep 29, 2015 at 2:50 AM

You don’t press with the ball.

• 26 terencelim // Sep 29, 2015 at 2:51 AM

Ashley Out! Boring but true.

• 27 jimmysmith // Sep 29, 2015 at 2:56 AM

Press in possession, meaning attacking as a unit, passing and moving with an intensity beyond your opponents ability to press defensively.

• 28 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 29, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Dropping sissoko might be a good thing. He has been piss poor for very long. Mitrovic need to put one into sissoko to wake him up.

• 29 phoonck // Sep 29, 2015 at 4:45 AM

@Jimmy Smith,

No I don’t think you’ve watched enough to know football. Admit you’re amateur..

You don’t press with the ball, you don’t press in possession, you don’t press to pass and move, and you certainly don’t press offensively..

Press high in football means moving high up the pitch and pressure your opponents into making mistakes and win back the ball. The downside of this is that it is physically demanding and drains your players energy easily, and also risky against a fast counter-attacking team that has higher mobility players.

HWTL & KTF

• 30 jimmysmith // Sep 29, 2015 at 5:07 AM

ok, attack in numbers and at pace if you prefer.

• 31 jimmysmith // Sep 29, 2015 at 5:11 AM

Certainly amateur, an interested observer. Apologies if my inability to find the word you approve escaped me. Your credentials, pal.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Sep 29, 2015 at 5:48 AM

Is that from a manual or iyo

• 33 will die for the toon army // Sep 29, 2015 at 5:55 AM

To balance this team we have to drop Sissoko and put in a Winger that is left footed either Thauvin or Aarons or Marvuex then stick Wijnaldum on the wing.
    Wijnaldum. …Anita……Colback…….Aarons

• 34 John Tudor // Sep 29, 2015 at 6:12 AM

ashley and the nobbers out

• 35 Ian Toon // Sep 29, 2015 at 6:16 AM

Jail / Dr Ed Harrison –
    There will always be people who will endlessly repeat your lies about me but Ed conclusively absolved me of any blame on the 17/10/2013 @ I believe 10.14. I posted the email on the blog at the time. Feel free to check it out and also contact Ed for verification but he has said that he wants to close down the whole silly saga. Incidentally, I recommended this almost two years ago.

He categorically said that I had never posted under any other name than Ian Toon. You can keep up your dirty tricks along with a few of your band but your fighting a losing battle because posters are bored by your crusade and don’t care for your attempted victimisation.

I would much prefer to post solely on football related matters but I am not going to let you constantly tell lies about me. I hear some say why bother – well maybe because I like the blog and like the engagement with all things toon.

• 36 John Tudor // Sep 29, 2015 at 6:19 AM

liar liar yer pants are on fire

• 37 Ian Toon // Sep 29, 2015 at 6:33 AM

I look forward to the time when we can bring on two subs of the quality of Ramires and Willian to save a game. It’s good to read of Chelsea’s manic talismanic striker Costa being compared with Mitrovic as a focal point and link.

• 38 Ian Toon // Sep 29, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Macca said a root and branch review and it’s good to see him regularly watching under 21 games.

• 39 cyprus // Sep 29, 2015 at 6:52 AM

As I had said a while ago, this Ayoze is a striker, and I see he considers himself as such.

He won’t be a typical 9, ok. But that is because he’s too good and versatile to sit up front waiting for a through ball. He can and will do the 7, 8, 10, 11 (traditional) roles as well. But we need him between the CBs and taking shots.

On Mitro, great passion, but I do need and expect more. (e.g. goals)

• 40 Ian Toon // Sep 29, 2015 at 7:02 AM

On the standing of the Premier League, we are already in danger of losing a fourth Champions League place. We’ve fallen behind the Bundesliga and La Liga are Europe’s most successful league in European competition.

Seven years ago three of the four semi-final places went to English teams. We are the richest league in the world with the financial muscle from the TV deals but PL managers argue that it is the strength of the league that makes it hard to compete in Europe. The argument is that every team in the PL is strong and there are no easy games. Cabaye at Palace and Payet at West Ham signify the overall intensity of PL games.

• 41 cyprus // Sep 29, 2015 at 7:17 AM

I too used to think the PL is faster, more demanding as well. More competitive (even though it’s always the same top 4 isn’t it)? But having watched other leagues in recent years, tbh, revealed to me that they are very very similar.

Turn down the volume, hide the team names (hard because we knw strips) and I dare you to guess the league.

You or I just can’t. These are now international leagues with international players. Only Cyprus has more foreign players that the PL. But numbers in the top leagues are similar:

• 42 Ian Toon // Sep 29, 2015 at 7:21 AM

I see that Austin is out for a month with a hamstring injury.

• 43 Bambams // Sep 29, 2015 at 7:25 AM

I watched the game again last night after work, it’s amazing the things you see when you are chilled as opposed to being a nervous wreck watching it live.

Again I thought Wini was top, but Mitro and his hold up play and strength against very good defenders – brilliant

Colo again turned his back for the first goal – could a faster CB done better, I think so.

Sissoko for me is a weak link, I have been on here in the past waxing lyrical about him….Reminds me of Shola tackling. He needs a good kick up the backside or dropping.

I hope this is the beginning of our season now

Young LB Mbabu !!! Didn’t give Hazard an inch

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Sep 29, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Ian Toon,
    As long as you believe your own version that’s all that matters. Everyone else who read that exchange has made their own minds up.

• 45 Mister Tuff // Sep 29, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Ian Toon (master multiple and blog trickster) – you are as false as a padded brassiere (Jib – brassiere means bra).

• 46 sing in the corner // Sep 29, 2015 at 7:56 AM

I’m worried about Ayoze’s goals drying up,he needs more protection….from Mitro. He is in danger of getting distracted by the sound of pounding hooves from behind when he’s in front of goal!

• 47 Blofal // Sep 29, 2015 at 8:26 AM

After Man City we would have played the top 4 teams in our first 8 games. Its going to get better from here if we can start performing against the lower teams.

• 48 ashleysmate // Sep 29, 2015 at 9:26 AM