The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Tim Krul Reacts On Twitter To Newcastle Display

8:58 am, Monday, September 28th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

It seems that Tim Krul is quickly becoming a leader at Newcastle, and at least Tim is willing to talk in the dressing room, but he revealed today that that too many of our current players are very quiet.

And it doesn´t help when our captain Fabricio Coloccini is a man of few words.

tim krul saints first game 2015

Tim Krul – that´s more like it

This is what Tim tweeted after the game on Saturday.

Maybe Newcastle need to start looking for players who also have leadership skills but both Siem de Jong and Gini Wijnaldum have those qualities and we cannot think for one moment that Aleksandar Mitrovic is a quiet lad – although we don´t know.

What do you think?

Tags: Leadership · Newcastle News · Premier League · Tim Krul · Tweet · Twitter

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 Reyantoon // Sep 28, 2015 at 9:26 AM

We haven’t done much wrong in the game but SM should have put in extra defender to tighten things up instead of putting in Ivan Toney.I believe we conceded the second goal after SM sub’d off mitro for another striker.What was he thinking? Did he forgot that he was playing against the champions?
    Simpson was on the touchline in the whole much watching and examining things but why hasn’t he recommended to put extra defender?
    Or was he watching b&w birds flying 🙂

• 2 SUTTY1978 // Sep 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Reyan, Mitro was knackered after 60 mins, should have taken him off earlier if anything. Not knocking Mitro, he’s not match fit yet and put in a massive amount of work in those first 60 mins.
    Wijnaldum was pretty much the same, great first half, largely anonymous in the second.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Sep 28, 2015 at 9:35 AM

• 4 beermonkey // Sep 28, 2015 at 9:36 AM

reyantoon

I thought it was odd at the time with 2 defenders sat on the bench

• 5 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 28, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Sutty
    Mitro was knackered he could hardly move after about 70 minutes along with my MOM Mbabu who also was struggling near the end.
    On Krul – he might talk off the pitch but needs to shout a lot more on the pitch and work out what to do with whipped in free kicks. Maybe make him captain then he will have to shout.

All-in-all I was happy with Saturday after the previous 270 minutes I have had to watch

Lets take the Chelsea performance into the Shitty game

• 6 Toonfan8 // Sep 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM

There are a lot of positives from Saturdays game:
    Strikeforce of Mitrovic and Perez is full of potential, they look like ideal partnership for years to come, one big and strong and other one tricky, smart…
    Wijnaldum, looks good on the left, it is a shame that Colback got injured…
    Mbabu – played great match, I like that he is physically very good, very strong lad, we need this presence at the back
    Janmaat looks very good
    Mbemba – he is a beast, for me the best recruitment of the summer…but now it is too soon to talk about it…
    this team is full of potential, but now what we need is points and we have to go for it, even at Etihad stadium, why not?

• 7 SUTTY1978 // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Charlie, yep, both got cramp at the same time!
    You could tell with Mitro he didnt even have the energy to jump, was just looking for the freekick every time. Mbabu was a revelation, how he didn’t get a game at Rangers is beyond me. First player i have seen since Abeid that can actually tackle, gets stuck in and comes out with the ball rather than standing 3 feet away from the player.

• 8 lesh // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Reyan

McClaren really can’t win can he?

He takes Mitro off after 70 or so minutes and replaces him with young Toney and some would say that was a move that showed he wanted to win.

Had he replaced Mitro with a defender and try to hold on to the win at that stage, McClaren would’ve been slammed for not wanting to build on the then lead.

• 9 lesh // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:31 AM

And as Colo’s neither assertive in the dressing room or on the pitch, it might be a good time to relieve him.of the responsibility of the armband.

Krul as skipper? I’ve always had doubts about having a keeper as skipper. Yes, keepers see the whole game from the back but there’s always the risk that by focussing on the bigger picture, their own keeper concentration might suffer – especially in or near the penalty area.

Could Colbeck be a likely candidate for skipper that way we wouldn’t suffer language problems – he can’t speak English too well either!

• 10 Tinman // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Keeper as skipper is not a great idea for me. Skipper should be out on the pitch leading with their performance. If you need your keeper to be giving the best performance then you’re probably getting hammered!

Colback injured could be a blessing in disguise, lets see what happens when we don’t play the 2 defensive midfielder who don’t offer much going forward at all.

Mitrovic looked great. He will be star.

Mbabu was fantastic, looked nervous on the ball but he was playing on the wrong side of the pitch. Very good debut for the lad.

Perez showed his class. One of our best players.

• 11 cyprus // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM

All positives v. Chelsea, except, every every substitution weakened us. Our first 11 were fine. Is Tiote not fit? Why did he not come on for Colback? Obertan means playing with 10 players… a Chelsea fan I was with told me there’s our chance when he came on… SDJ seems unable to handle the PL, sp wrong move. And, with Toney we (he) made a mistake. Still ahead, backs to the wall, bring in a defender.

Anyway, you didn’t intend to attack any more did you Steve?

What worried me was the absolute fear toward the end. Should’ve been 3 points… if we had stayed strong, to quote MA.

• 12 Whumpie // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM

I do have one concern: our injury rate – especially neck injuries – could rocket if we keep scoring with Mitro on the pitch. The way he went at both scorers was like watching an Ultimate Fighting match! He was great, and we need that passion – but if he could just refrain from decapitating his own team mates that would be nice too.

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Lesh/Tinman
    I have know problem with keepers being captains of teams – Keepers have in past been captain’s of Champions League winning teams I think
    The idea of putting forward Krul as captain was/is – who else do we have can’t see Colback being assertive enough. Steven taylor always injured.
    I know ‘Wij’ was captain – I like the look of Mbema to me could become a good captain don’t know if he speaks English or a good communicator

• 14 Whumpie // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM

I think Wiji and Colback are the obvious choices for skipper, but only the gaffer will know.
    Talking of whom, watching him in press conferences I’m getting more and more convinced that he was repeatedly screwed over by the rest of the board in the summer.
    He’s made it clear that he’s after Austin, and it does appear that once Mbemba was signed he was told – not asked – that Colo would be re-signed rather than forking out for a replacement.
    I think we may well see a big falling out at Board level soon if they don’t start listening to – let’s face it – the only true football man in the room. That’s my prediction: if we don’t see things improve dramatically, Maclaren will walk out during one of the next two windows over transfer policy.

• 15 SUTTY1978 // Sep 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Tinman, thought Mbabu was decent on the ball in the first half, when obertan came on it made it more difficult. On the counter Obertan managed to consistently find a position where it made it impossible for Mbabu to pass to him, Obertan has a spectacular ability to hide on a football pitch!

• 16 catchy in norway // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I SEE 4 possible captains in our team right now

Chancel
    Jannmat
    Gino
    Anita.

i used to think Jack should be, but if im honest , i think he is not the most intelligent footballer, he makes up for a lot a short comings by working hard and running his socks off, this will always make him a a fave of mine.

the other 4 i mention, seem to be good readers of the game, but my choice would be Anita, i think he is very under rated by a lot of our fans.

on a separate note, what Jose said about our team on Sat was more about getting a reaction from our fans and players when we play Man C next weekend, something fergy did against us all those years ago when we were about to play Leeds. He was also right in what he said though, lets hope Shteve can change that mentality a bit

• 17 hibbit // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:05 AM

sutty its only this season that his fitness has improved dont know what happened at at rangers but the season before he was way of the pace a couple of injuries one of which kept him out for a good while when he did play always gives 100% but never looked fully fit

• 18 Ian Toon // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Whumpie- I am not sure whether your the right guy mentioned . But as a callow individual did you learn all you had to learn at the Royal Victoria?

• 19 catchy in norway // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:08 AM

SUTTY1978

i have said that Oberan has been hiding when he is on the pitch since the kid signed for us, other than speed, he has nothing to offer any team in football,
    his passing is shocking
    his space awareness is shocking
    his crossing is hideous, out of 100 he might get about 3 good ones.
    i do not see what any manager sees in him.

• 20 Whumpie // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Sorry, Ian – that was probably a witty dig, but I’m too dense this morning to understand what you mean!
    More coffee.
    Can you explain again, please?

• 21 Ian Toon // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:15 AM

If it doesn’t mean anything to you I have obviously got the wrong individual. Sorry to bother you.

• 22 Tinman // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Coloccini will be captain until the end of the season. You will all just have to deal with that. Maybe next season it will be Janmaat, Wijnaldum or De Jong (If he finds his way into the team). We will have to see how the season develops. It is not really a relevant discussion now.

• 23 lochinvar // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Mackems showing interest in Viera to replace Advocatt ?
    Is / was that a missed opportunity ?

• 24 Whumpie // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Lochinvar – if the mackems are after him, then… nope.
    I still don’t get why people were so excited about the prospect of a totally unknown, inexperienced manager. How has his prowess as a player got any bearing on it? SBR and Fergie weren’t all that as players, and the only on-field job The Special One could do is mascot!

• 25 Tinman // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:41 AM

lochinvar,
    I really wanted Viera to come, but I think the coaching team we have right now will come good. Hopefully McClaren can grow into the role.

• 26 nut meg // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Whumpie
    SRB played 583 league games & 20 times for England!

• 27 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Hope Aarons is ready for City and Gini should be pushed back into CM and Aarons on that left with the rest unchanged. Obertan best not get any minutes he is a discgrace to the shirt.

We need to buy a direct winger to go on the right and Sissokho clearly is not the answer and would happily let him go for a decent sum of money.

• 28 hibbit // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM

whumie….. sbr was caps 20 times for england and played just under 600 league games a dam site more then some of our so called stars of today will ever achieve

• 29 Rotonda heights // Sep 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM

whumpie

2 words keving keegan

• 30 Tinman // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:02 PM

I would be happy to see the back of Sissoko for 10m. He is worth less but think we could get more. Madness

• 31 Tsunki // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Tbf under Pardew sissoko was one of the squarest pegs in the squad, and I think he realises that he’s not exactly a good fit in McLaren’s team shape either. I think that’s why his heads a bit down.

• 32 Tsunki // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I see a lot of reckless talk about HBA and how well he’s playing, and what a shame we couldn’t manage him and wouldn’t it be good etc. – can I just issue a word of caution the last thing our team needs is a virtuoso capable of turning a game right around and pre occupying opposition defenders, it just never works. Too much bother.

• 33 Malackay // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Two alternative captains I’d go with are Janmaat and Gini – but I think Mitro has potential to be future captain.

Given my dislike for Haidara, it was a relief to see Mbabu play so well. Surely keeps his spot for next game.

• 34 beermonkey // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Tsunki

I thought pards did ok to begin with Benny after his leg break he held him back till Xmas time and Benny knew what was expected of him then unleashed second half of the season and he did well

As for why it all fell apart I don’t think either one escapes blame

• 35 Tsunki // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I’m disappointed with Haidara I always thought he had more potential than Santon but I don’t think he’s ever got past his injury.

• 36 Tsunki // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Beer no I think it was a bad clash of boss versus petulant player, but that’s what a good manager will do, manage. The game is full of petulant little gits but it’s the nature of the most talented to have ego and personality problems. I can’t be bothered even thinking any more about the comments of ‘ he always was trouble at x,y,z club etc’ because it’s of no consequence. He was undoubtedly a special talent and shouldn’t have been jettisoned because he couldn’t agree with the tactics of a hoof merchant and smack and run artist like Pardew. But he’s gone now so hey ho.

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:35 PM

HBA didn’t cut it here, moments of genius to few and far between with a poor work rate and attitude to boot. Delighted he is doing well at Nice as he has an abundance of natural talent and has wasted his career so far by not knuckling down and putting the work in to get to the top. Maybe the 6 months he was left out of football have knocked some sense into him.

However, I would much prefer HBA to Sissoko on the right, Sissoko has all HBA’s issues with work and influencing the game without a fraction of the kids ability.

I’d agree with Beer that the issues HBA had here were probably down to a combination of both himself and Pardew’s actions.

Also noticed the Cabaye debate on earlier. Cabaye has been one of Palace’s best players so far, winning the ball back from the opposition with interceptions or tackles than any other player at Palace, and probably in the league. Also their joint top scorer with 2 goals. I would have had him back here in the summer in a heart beat. Better than both Anita and Colback.

• 38 Tsunki // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:40 PM

We all have our thoughts on the likes of HBA, he was the kind of player who divides opinions, as some of the most talented are. If only we could select a team out of all the players we’ve had in the squad in the last four years, we’d have a pretty decent side. Subject to manager of course 😉

• 39 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM

We are badly lacking a cabaye to play alongside either Coldback or Anita he would walk into the team. HBA was a great player and the only reason he did not succeed was he was used incorrectly by the numskull Pardew. He should have not been asked to do any defending and given a free role with the manager telling him to go and play with no pressure. Instead Pardew often played him RM but under pardew our wide men often spent all game standing on our full backs toes so no wonder he was ineffective. The lad is a sublime talent and with the correct manager could be one of the best in the league imo.

• 40 JackButler // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM

People hold HBA up as some god like figure that was treated like a dog while here, the reality however, is that the lad as an attitude that has brought him issues at every single club he’s ever played at, the lad even went on strike to get his move here – for the love of God, move on.

As for our future captain I’ll think about it when we manage to get shot of our current one, well after the celebrations have finished anyway

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Tsunki,
    Yeah, he did split opinion. Personally he didn’t do enough for me, and didn’t have the right mentality whilst here. I do appreciate that Pards tactics and style won’t have helped him, but he also doesn’t help himself a lot of the time. His talent deserves to be on the biggest stage, it is the rest of him that has held him back so far. I hope he has realised this.

To quote Johan Cruyff;

“When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines whether you’re a good player or not.”

• 42 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Same when he went to hull Bruce expected him to do a lot of tracking in defence and was not happy when he didnt complete that task well. I am sorry it is not his game and it shows how bad a manager both Pardew and Bruce are they never realised this.

• 43 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM

I’m not sure on this debate for future captain, I personally don’t think he is in the squad yet. A commanding and vocal centre half with good experience should be bought in the next window, and that player would likely get my vote.

• 44 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM

I would prefer a moment of genius every so often to get us goals or create than having a hardworker with no end product or technical ability. What exactly did HBA do in terms of his bad attitude he was getting treated so badly by Pardew so what is so bad as i must have missed it??

• 45 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM

We dont have anyone at the moment who would make a perfect choice for captian only that are better than the uselss one we currently have.

• 46 martoon // Sep 28, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Lilongwe @37 – I liked Cabaye but it never seems to work when a player returns to a club so I think we were probably right not to re-sign him. I also noticed he still has that nasty streak – he was very fortunate not to get two yellow cards yesterday!
    On topic does anybody think Krul was at fault for the second goal – surely he has to follow the flight of the ball? If it gets a deflection then nothing he can do but if not he should be behind it.

• 47 beermonkey // Sep 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Lilongwe

I cant think of any1 in our squad I would have as capt
    we need to go and buy one

nufc 83

all players have to defend its where and when
    look at mitro he closes down defenders when they have the ball harring them hopefully forcing them to make mistakes

not many player if any get away with not doing there part

• 48 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Ok if your looking to defend a lead against the likes of Chelsea then ok that comment is valid but if mitro constantly drops back and does that i for one want be happy as he needs to be our outlet up the pitch.

• 49 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM

And at 2-0 up against Chelsea i wouldnt have HBA on the pitch he would be my first sub to protect the lead.

• 50 Lindisfarne // Sep 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Krul can talk the talk, but can not walk the walk. A good shot stopper, i put that down to the width between his eyes, too many of his kicks go straight off the side of the pitch and he does not command the penalty area, particularly on crosses and free kicks.

• 51 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I agree on krul he is an average to poor PL gk.

• 52 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 28, 2015 at 1:54 PM

gmorning all, from the dark side of the pond,

while disappointed we didn’t get 3 pits, will say, there was definitely some fire on the pitch Saturday, mitro, if he can play the way he did all season, will be a favorite of mine…

even as he walked off he was cheering us on, I like to see someone step up and show some fire in their belly…

decent performance by the team, but champions find ways to win these games, not draw them…

also, was ecstatic to see a 4-4-2, rather than the 4-2-3-1, which obviously has shown no results, or bare few at that..

• 53 Nufc-83 // Sep 28, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Perez is easily my best player as even when we have been poor he always plays well and gives his all. For such a young player he puts the rest to shame taking the ball and beating players when everyone else wants to get rid and play a 5 yd pass backwards or sideways.

• 54 mindshaft // Sep 28, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Oh not the HBA debate again – he’s playing in a slow poor league and doesn’t have to track back – I loved him when he was good but those times were few and far between – he was responsible for way too many giveaways which resulted in goals against us.
    Apart from that Cabaye / Tiote and co wouldn’t pass to him as they didn’t trust him not to lose it and put us back under pressure

• 55 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Sep 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Perez should be given a no 10 shirt.

De Jong should be shipped….and get a new CM player with serious pace Kouyate something like that.

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Sep 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM

I remember being one of the first to say that HBA was not worth the hassle and got slaughtered for it, although why Pardew couldn’t have used him in the same way he did in the great run of ours is a mystery.

• 57 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 28, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Martoon
    On Krul and whipped in free kicks – he has not got a clue wether to come for the ball or wether or stay and gets caught in no-mans land and has a flap at the ball. I can count at least three goals that have went straight in from whipped in free kicks from out on the left.

Anyways FREE kicks come to mention it that’s what we need in the winter window someone who can whip in a FREE kick – when we get one!

• 58 martoon // Sep 28, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate @57 – You’re right we don’t have anybody who can take a decent free kick – I thought Thauvin was going to be the answer but enough said about him the better. 🙂
    In fact come to think about it when Cisse is not playing I don’t even know who our penalty taker is?

• 59 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 28, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Jail…not sure why you think you were slated more for believing that than us who thought he was a great signing, but mismanaged…

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Sep 28, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Jesper,
    There is no doubt he was mismanaged from the plastic pitch to the trying to curb his attacking threat but there is also no denying that the guy has major attitude problems

• 61 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 28, 2015 at 3:34 PM

martoon
    Rarest of rare at TOON penalty – was it one last year down at Manure United and you’re right Cisse put it away.
    Diven’t kna who would take one – Perez maybe’s

• 62 Whumpie // Sep 28, 2015 at 3:39 PM

The only reason HBA is playing well at the moment is that he’s in a league where petulance, selfishness and generally being a class-A trouser-hoop is completely normal.

He was bloody useless in England, always would be. Move on, muppets.

previous post: Sky Pundit – Only Right This Newcastle Player Gets Praised